Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

Would have been nice if they approached it that way, the way they approached Jjo.

We don't know exactly what happened, what was said... But the story they're throwing out there is a chickenshit way to treat a guy like Andre. Makes the Letterman jackets & college locker room bullshit seem like world class business practices.

Being honest with the player with what role the team envisions for him?

Even if he's on the enemy team, AJ is still doing right by the kids in Houston. Still doing his shopping spree. Gotta respect that.

*edit*
Dropped a cool $18,030.25 on the kids.

GSo2Yzt.png

That's awesome, man. :thumbup

I was wondering how he would handle that, and it is great that he came through for the kids yet again.

I thought it was cool that he even though he couldn't be there due to current team obligations he video'd in and genuinely looked happy to do it.
I can remember people, not here, saying that he would previously do this as a publicity stunt. It's obvious that it's not. Whatever issues him and the FO have, they need to squash it and he needs to retire a Texan with a nice ambassador job.

I thought it was cool that he even though he couldn't be there due to current team obligations he video'd in and genuinely looked happy to do it.
I can remember people, not here, saying that he would previously do this as a publicity stunt. It's obvious that it's not. Whatever issues him and the FO have, they need to squash it and he needs to retire a Texan with a nice ambassador job.

A.J. has never been the kind of guy that chased the spotlight, which is different than many other WRs. I never doubted his intent in helping these kids, and hopefully he compels others to give to various charities, even if it's buying a single new toy for a toy drive.

I think he'll retire a Texan one day...or like you, I hope so...and I do not doubt that McNair will make sure no. 80 is retired in the rafters of NRG. Personally, I think it would be really cool to have a big ol' statue of A.J. in front of the stadium at some point, especially when he's eventually inducted into the football HoF.

I love Andre. He's a decent man. I don't care that he's with the Colts. He'll always be one of my favorite athletes for what he did on the field and how he conducts himself off it. I hope nothing but the best for this guy (except when he's playing against us).

AJ should've been treated like Fitzgerald. Put him in the slot, because he's better than any slot or te or 3rd down back and put nate outside, run 11 personel and just let your useless te pass block or check release. Getting rid of AJ was a power move by Obrien, plain and simple. He wanted to make sure everyone knew it was his locker room. AJ like Hakeem and Earl should've been treated better.

AJ should've been treated like Fitzgerald. Put him in the slot, because he's better than any slot or te or 3rd down back and put nate outside, run 11 personel and just let your useless te pass block or check release. Getting rid of AJ was a power move by Obrien, plain and simple. He wanted to make sure everyone knew it was his locker room. AJ like Hakeem and Earl should've been treated better.

Putting AJ in the slot would have gotten him killed.

"Cut by the Texans in March when they granted his request after he demanded his release or to be traded after being informed by the team that he’d have a reduced role this year, former Texans star wide receiver Andre Johnson took issue with how the divorce was characterized.

Johnson, who spent 12 years with the Texans, didn’t want to discuss his conversation with Texans coach Bill O’Brien where he was told he’d be released. Johnson was scheduled to have a $16.1 million salary-cap figure this season with the Texans prior to his release."

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...eleased-from-the-texans-so-get-that-straight/

Fitzgerald also took a pay cut to remain a Cardinal.

Fitzgerald also took a pay cut to remain a Cardinal.

My only issue is that they never asked Andre if he'd take a pay cut. They were already talking about him being the #3 receiver before the draft, before free agency, before OTAs...

They pretty much kicked him out the door.

My only issue is that they never asked Andre if he'd take a pay cut. They were already talking about him being the #3 receiver before the draft, before free agency, before OTAs...

So not asking him to take a cut financially but to take a diminished role is kicking him out the door?

So not asking him to take a cut financially but to take a diminished role is kicking him out the door?

Well if you were a multi-millionaire and told you had to work with Brian Hoyer what would you think?

If you're going to come in & say that every position is under review, that everyone will have to earn their spot on the team in practice... Then you're going to come back & say, "I see about 40 catches a year for you next season."

This was before Jalen Strong & Keith Mumphrey, before Nate Washington & Cecil Shorts were on this team. So he's basically saying, "You're a dime a dozen. I can find just about anyone to replace you."

& I take issue with that. Even seeing what's going on in Indy. Doesn't change my mind. It was about money & instead of beating around the bush, he should have just came out & said, "We're not paying you $16.1M next season."

If you're going to come in & say that every position is under review, that everyone will have to earn their spot on the team in practice... Then you're going to come back & say, "I see about 40 catches a year for you next season."

This was before Jalen Strong & Keith Mumphrey, before Nate Washington & Cecil Shorts were on this team. So he's basically saying, "You're a dime a dozen. I can find just about anyone to replace you."

& I take issue with that. Even seeing what's going on in Indy. Doesn't change my mind. It was about money & instead of beating around the bush, he should have just came out & said, "We're not paying you $16.1M next season."

And we apparently have in Washington (40 catches) and Shorts (42 catches). All while AJ has caught 31 balls. On the plus side our 82 catches cost us what $3M this year? Compared to AJ's $7.5.
As a fan, I hated seeing AJ go. He's my all time favorite Texan. As a fan that wants this team to amount to something it's a plus that we got rid of his salary.

My stance on the "I see about 40 catches a year for you next season." is that he was obviously making the team. This was a reality check; you're not our #1 next year even if your salary dictates. Feelings got hurt and the cards fell. At the end of the day we easily replaced AJ's productivity this season and saved money. Time will heal the hurt feelings.

Bill Walsh would have cut Andre many years ago without remorse. The best teams cut good players before they are done, but those teams are like a shark's teeth in having up-and-coming players to replace them. In this case, the Texans did have a guy to replace A.J. with Nuk.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle with this story. The Texans did not want to pay him that much money, and A.J.'s ego would not allow him to be diminished on the only team that he's known. I do feel that going to Indy was a way of giving a middle finger to the Texans FO, just like Favre going to the Vikings. It just didn't work out the way he may have anticipated it this season.

Bill Walsh would have cut Andre many years ago without remorse. The best teams cut good players before they are done, but those teams are like a shark's teeth in having up-and-coming players to replace them. In this case, the Texans did have a guy to replace A.J. with Nuk.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle with this story. The Texans did not want to pay him that much money, and A.J.'s ego would not allow him to be diminished on the only team that he's known. I do feel that going to Indy was a way of giving a middle finger to the Texans FO, just like Favre going to the Vikings. It just didn't work out the way he may have anticipated it this season.

Exactly, they're both to blame. I figure the FO wanted him gone or at a greatly reduced salary. They egged him on with the diminished role card and he bought right into it by demanding his release/trade. Had he said ok, I'll take 40 catches THEN the FO cuts him, they look like the bad guys. Hindsight, they both look foolish. AJ in Indy Blue and the FO for his ridiculous salary.
My 2 cents of course...

That is an accurate statement, whether you like it or not. Present day AJ can be replaced with many different WRs. Some of us saw it last year, some still refuse to accept it. Guys get old, and for whatever reasons, at the RB and WR positions, those players don't decline slowly. They fall off a cliff.

And we apparently have in Washington (40 catches) and Shorts (42 catches). All while AJ has caught 31 balls. On the plus side our 82 catches cost us what $3M this year? Compared to AJ's $7.5.
As a fan, I hated seeing AJ go. He's my all time favorite Texan. As a fan that wants this team to amount to something it's a plus that we got rid of his salary.

My stance on the "I see about 40 catches a year for you next season." is that he was obviously making the team. This was a reality check; you're not our #1 next year even if your salary dictates. Feelings got hurt and the cards fell. At the end of the day we easily replaced AJ's productivity this season and saved money. Time will heal the hurt feelings.

All besides the point. (Most of which I don't agree with).

Bottom line, how are you going to tell AJ he's not going to be a starter. That he'll be splitting time with Nate Washington or Cecil Shorts? OTAs hadn't even started yet. They were pretty much saying he wouldn't even compete for the #2 spot.

Look at Fitzgerald in Arizona. Andre had been more productive than Fitz 2012, 2013, & 2014.

& while Hopkins had a great game against Revis, he disappears when doubled. Most likely due to Hoyer being a timid dumbass, but it's not like Andre hadn't had to deal with that.

You know how we're always saying,"Jj is doubled, someone else should be able to beat single coverage." That's who Andre would be for us. Teams would have to stop doubling Hopkins.

I know Andre isn't blowing the doors off in Indy. That's not the point.

I know we weren't going to pay Andre $16M. That's not the point.

I'm fine with Andre not being here. He clearly didn't want to be here.

I just think the way they went about it was chicken ****.

Exactly, they're both to blame. I figure the FO wanted him gone or at a greatly reduced salary. They egged him on with the diminished role card and he bought right into it by demanding his release/trade. Had he said ok, I'll take 40 catches THEN the FO cuts him, they look like the bad guys. Hindsight, they both look foolish. AJ in Indy Blue and the FO for his ridiculous salary.
My 2 cents of course...

Ok then, we're saying the same thing.

I dunno, but who else did Andre have an opportunity with ? Did his old coach in Denver offer him a job, or how about Seattle ?

Prima Dona - Is it right or not? I tend to always say no, but there is always someone willing to say yes or the acts would stop. But you better be good because it's hard to find a patron if you're mediocre.

He wasn't kicked out if he asked to be released. I suspect that his request was just one more poor decision to listen to a stable of poor advisers.

I'd be surprised if he remains a Colt after this season. I'm certain Gore will get cut, and pretty sure Dre will be released also. So what happens next? Does his ego continue to cash checks his body can't keep, or is there a chance the Texans resign him for one more season and let him retire as a Texan?

I'd be surprised if he remains a Colt after this season. I'm certain Gore will get cut, and pretty sure Dre will be released also. So what happens next? Does his ego continue to cash checks his body can't keep, or is there a chance the Texans resign him for one more season and let him retire as a Texan?

There's a one day Texans contract in his future. Be it this offseason or next, I firmly believe he will retire a Texan.

There's a one day Texans contract in his future. Be it this offseason or next, I firmly believe he will retire a Texan.
I am sure of that, but surely he has a few more years in him as a possession receiver similar to Boldin. What I am asking is if he gets cut, will he be pursued by other teams or possibly return to the Texans as a possession receiver, or is there bad blood there and only when it's a 1 day contract?

I am sure of that, but surely he has a few more years in him as a possession receiver similar to Boldin. What I am asking is if he gets cut, will he be pursued by other teams or possibly return to the Texans as a possession receiver, or is there bad blood there and only when it's a 1 day contract?

Objectively, I don't think he's very good anymore...especially at the price tag he wants. Right now he's a minimum wage player. He lacks explosiveness and has lost a lot of speed. He may price himself out of the league honestly.

I think there is bad blood there and I don't think the O'Brien regime wants him back (or that Andre Johnson would want to come back here to play for them anyway).

I think he tries to catch on with a New England, Seattle, or Green Bay at any price to get a ring if that is what he cares about OR he signs with any old shitty team for the most money if that is what he cares about most. We're about to learn something about AJ. No idea which way he'll go.

I'd love to see A.J. team up with the Patriots as a possession receiver, but he's really not in the mold of their typical inside receivers (i.e. Edelman, Amendola, Welker).

Seattle might be a good fit. Wilson is evolving into a top-tier QB and slinging the ball around a lot more. But, does A.J. still have the skills? I've seen him drop some easy passes this season.

AJ's pralis as a WR was 90% rooted in his physical abilities..when that went by the wayside, so did his skill as an NFL WR. It would be a huge transition for him to turn into a possession guy & personally after watching him in the 2 colts games, i don't think he can do it...Think about how done Eric Moulds was when he came to play for us...That's where AJ is right now...Hate to see him in this state, but it happens to the best of them..... father time is undefeated.

AJ's pralis as a WR was 90% rooted in his physical abilities..when that went by the wayside, so did his skill as an NFL WR. It would be a huge transition for him to turn into a possession guy & personally after watching him in the 2 colts games, i don't think he can do it...Think about how done Eric Moulds was when he came to play for us...That's where AJ is right now...Hate to see him in this state, but it happens to the best of them..... father time is undefeated.

It's like someone put a spell on A.J.'s pralis and now it's completely in check ...

I'd love to see A.J. team up with the Patriots as a possession receiver, but he's really not in the mold of their typical inside receivers (i.e. Edelman, Amendola, Welker).

Seattle might be a good fit. Wilson is evolving into a top-tier QB and slinging the ball around a lot more. But, does A.J. still have the skills? I've seen him drop some easy passes this season.

I don't think they'd use him in the slot like those smallish WR's but I could see him playing a hybrid TE type role. Almost like Gronk except more geared towards receiver than blocker. A big guy to go up the seams and if he can pull LBs or safeties in coverage he should have some advantage there against a lot of guys.

AJ finished with 41 catches. 4 on the Colts.
Would have also finished 4th on the Texans.

Washington and Shorts combined for 89 catches at a fraction of the cost; ~$3.4M vs $7.5M.

AJ finished with 41 catches. 4 on the Colts.
Would have also finished 4th on the Texans.

Washington and Shorts combined for 89 catches at a fraction of the cost; ~$3.4M vs $7.5M.

Now go back to the first 10 pages of this thread and get a good laugh at all of the insults and drunk posting that went on from folks who stated that AJ hadn't lost a step and that his salary of like 14 Mill wouldn't matter.

:spit:

Now go back to the first 10 pages of this thread and get a good laugh at all of the insults and drunk posting that went on from folks who stated that AJ hadn't lost a step and that his salary of like 14 Mill wouldn't matter.

:spit:

I think most people figured he'd continue to drop in production, but look at the Colts this year. They were a wreck with a plethora of receiving options.

I think AJ could be productive enough to consider next year. He's no top flight #1 or even #2, but he can still be helpful. It would be a question of price.

but surely he has a few more years in him as a possession receiver similar to Boldin.

Boldin has good hands, that doesn't age...unlike speed, quickness & power.

Our man (AJ) is the Roberto Duran of historically elite NFL wide receivers.

Back