Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

He has one thing going for him that others do not; he was the star player for an expansion franchise. Someone has to be the first Texan in the HoF. To me, that's what pushes him in.

I think this will be the thing that makes it happen. He'll get consideration for the career that might have been as well as what he actually did. I know HoF voters aren't overly sentimental and they owe Houston nothing here but AJ is highly regarded as a player and as a person. I think he'll make the cut and get in pretty quickly actually.

Andre Johnson still needs to have two or three more big seasons, preferably with a lot of Touchdown catches, if he wants to cement his amazing career and make a stronger case for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I think he's first ballot already, but a lot of people will disagree mostly based on his lack of Touchdowns relative to the number of games he has played.

What is the one main criticism of Kubiak's offense, especially during his time here in Houston? It gets yardage between the 20s and bogs down in the red zone. At the end of the day, yardage between the 20s serves very little purpose. TDs put points on the board. Truly great WRs get in the end zone. People say that Kubiak didn't use AJ in the end zone like he should have. Maybe, maybe not. One thing I know is coaches will ride a horse into the ground if they find something that works.

AJ may well get into the HOF. There are players in there now that I don't consider truly great. Art Monk at the WR position is not as great as AJ, IMO. From a fan standpoint, I hope he gets in. But if this were a different WR we were talking about, I would probably argue that he's a fringe player. Since it's AJ, I hope he gets in.

He has one thing going for him that others do not; he was the star player for an expansion franchise. Someone has to be the first Texan in the HoF. To me, that's what pushes him in.

I have no doubt that A.J. will eventually get into the HoF.

However, I doubt he's first ballot and from what I've learned from various sources, HoF voters could not care any less about propping up an expansion franchise.

He'll be on the list when he's eligible, and the voters will continue the current trend of making WRs wait in line.

It seems if you scheme Andre as the player he is (not the player he was - or as a screen target you idjut), he can be quite effective. Not for his price tag as a #1, but still better than every receiving option not named Hopkins - thus worth the price tag. Between drops and touchdowns I'm sure Shorts and Washington are ... sorry I couldn't finish that statement.

It seems if you scheme Andre as the player he is (not the player he was - or as a screen target you idjut), he can be quite effective. Not for his price tag as a #1, but still better than every receiving option not named Hopkins - thus worth the price tag. Between drops and touchdowns I'm sure Shorts and Washington are ... sorry I couldn't finish that statement.

So far he sucks against anyone not named "Texans."

Go Astros, Rockets and Stars. They try to win.

So far he sucks against anyone not named "Texans."

'Sucks' is wrong. 'Misused' is his motto after hamstring surgery. He's lost his burst, not his talent. Andre can and will get open, and is most adapt at breaking zones and being too big in traffic. Use him as such and he'll burn teams. Sure he got 'revenge' against us, but if the Colts have a lick of sense (Pagano doesn't and will be fired shortly), that's how he'll be used the rest of the season instead of as a wide option. He has something the rest of the Colts' burners don't - size, strength and routes. Use that and Andre is a monster ... one that we could certainly use.

No, he sucks. The man didn't catch a ball for two weeks until the Texans were the opponent. We'll disagree. I love Andre, no, I like Andre, but he sucks unless he's playing the Texans so far. The stats agree (though I don't judge on stats entirely).

We will disagree. Either he can run a route and catch in traffic or he can't. Being a 34 year old among 5 more necessary targets isn't going to have a great stat sheet. There's not some magical inbetween number based on the opponent. He boxed out, sat in middle zones and released underneath same as always. Indy may have used him instead of another receiver (to their obvious benefit), but he produced when given the chance. Will you say that Washington and/or Shorts run better routes and have better hands than Dre?

Last edited:
We will disagree. Either he can run a route and catch in traffic or he can't. Being a 34 year old among 5 more necessary targets isn't going to have a great stat sheet. There's not some magical inbetween number based on the opponent. He boxed out, sat in middle zones and released underneath same as always. Indy may have used him instead of another receiver (to their obvious benefit), but he produced when given the chance. Will you say that Washington and/or Shorts run better routes and have better hands than Dre?

Nice post. :)

Unfortunately, according to A.J.'s own words, he was not willing to play that role in a Texans uniform. I think his ego would not allow him to be no. 2 behind Hopkins, so he quit on the team and they let him go.

Unfortunately, according to A.J.'s own words, he was not willing to play that role in a Texans uniform. I think his ego would not allow him to be no. 2 behind Hopkins, so he quit on the team and they let him go.

Only for him to go to the Colts and become a #2-3 option..Me thinks mr. Johnson had a reality check when he got over there.

or he just wanted more money, which seems to be a lot of his issues.
If he would have taken the same contract with the Texans that he signed for with the Colts, he would still be here. But at the time, his ego was bruised and he thought he would get more elsewhere.

Colts yards per target

Whalen - 11.5 (4 targets)
Varga - 9.0 (2 targets)
Bradshaw - 8.0 (1 target)
Hilton - 7.7 (59 targets)
Dorsett - 7.6 (21 targets)
Moncrief - 7.1 (49 targets)
Allen - 6.1 (10 targets)
Fleener - 6.0 (28 targets)
Doyle - 5.6 (7 targets)
Robinson - 5.5 (6 targets)
Johnson - 4.9 (33 targets)
Gore - 3.9 (16 targets)

I thought he had at least 2 seasons left in him, but it appears he doesn't..maybe 1 good one left in him..and that would have to be with a contender with a stud qb of NE or GB's caliber. He's simply past the point of making his qb's look good or even compensating for badly placed passes. He's now a possession guy who needs the ball put right between the numbers.

Texans Andre Johnson was probably feeling what many Texans fans are feeling right now: Hopeless.

Texans Andre Johnson was probably feeling what many Texans fans are feeling right now: Hopeless.

He may feel hopeless about where he is in his career from a production standpoint, but he probably still feels better about his overall situation since he'll likely get another crack at the playoffs this year...which he wouldn't here with his 40 catches.

I'm sure he has 21 million reasons to feel better than many Texans fans.

lol! Yep. I don't feel sorry for him, but understand why he felt his career was done in Houston, all things considered.

He may feel hopeless about where he is in his career from a production standpoint, but he probably still feels better about his overall situation since he'll likely get another crack at the playoffs this year...which he wouldn't here with his 40 catches.

Yep. I do not perceive that production numbers are as important to him at this point in his career. He wants a chance to go go a championship, and he probably knew that Houston had a much longer cycle to improve than he had left in his career.

I wish him luck, in spite of my previous bittersweet feelings. Now that I have completely accepted that the Texans are a crappy team this year, I harbor no animosity toward other teams that would usually be competitors (true apathy cuts both ways in that regard). If A.J. can get a ring in Indy, good for him.

With the Colts very weak remaining schedule and the firing of Hamilton, those numbers are probably going to rise.

I wouldn't bet on it. He's the Colts' version of our Eric Moulds acquistion years ago. Looks like a solid pick up, but over the course of the season, you'll see why his incumbent team released him & he'll probably be gone next year with Moncrief coming on & the Dorsett pick up this year. Colts fans already have been seeing it this year & have declared him done.

There's actually a thread on the colts messageboard right now called "whalen vs. AJ"...

With the Colts very weak remaining schedule and the firing of Hamilton, those numbers are probably going to rise.

0 Catches and 0 targets makes that difficult but I'm definitely keeping an eye out on him. I sincerely wish him the best...except when he plays us.

The fall of Andre Johnson continues...
Colts snap counts: Andre Johnson's diminishing role
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...johnson-donte-moncrief-griff-whalen/76559956/
In Sunday's game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Johnson, in the first year of a three-year, $21 million contract, saw more dramatic drop-off in his involvement. Johnson was on the field for just 33 snaps, equating to 45 percent of the Colts' offensive snaps in the game. That's a startlingly low number for a starting wide receiver, but it's an indication the Colts recognize what they have to do to win. By comparison, Donte Moncrief played 80 percent of the snaps, while Griff Whalen played 34 percent.

For context, let's look at some of Johnson's snap counts from earlier in the season. Take the Colts' Week 6 game against the New England Patriots. Johnson played 85 percent of the snaps that night, with Moncrief at 73 percent and Whalen at 5 percent. In Week 7 against the New Orleans Saints, Johnson played 92 percent of offensive snaps, with Moncrief at 90 percent and Whalen at 3 percent. In Week 8 against the Carolina Panthers, Johnson played 78 percent of snaps, Moncrief 92 percent and Whalen 12 percent.

Week 9 — the same week Rob Chudzinski took over as offensive play caller — Johnson's big decline really begins.

That week, against the Denver Broncos, he played just 42 percent of snaps. Moncrief played 70 percent and Whalen 30 percent. That continued after the bye in Week 11 against the Atlanta Falcons, with Johnson playing 48 percent of snaps, Moncrief 84 percent and Whalen 24 percent.

The fall of Andre Johnson continues...
Colts snap counts: Andre Johnson's diminishing role
http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...johnson-donte-moncrief-griff-whalen/76559956/

You've got to wonder what A.J. is thinking right now. He might not have been no. 1 in Houston this year, but I have no doubt that he'd be on the field most of the time.

I think "you'll only play 45% of the time" is a helluva' lot worse than "you might only catch 40 passes".

But hey, he's a big boy. He made his bed and now he can sleep in it.

You've got to wonder what A.J. is thinking right now. He might not have been no. 1 in Houston this year, but I have no doubt that he'd be on the field most of the time.

I think "you'll only play 45% of the time" is a helluva' lot worse than "you might only catch 40 passes".

At the rate he's going, 26 catches on 53 targets, those 40 catches from us would be a damn good season lol.
Stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/4461/andre-johnson

if Andre had stayed we prob would of not needed to grab Nate or Shorts III but im glad we did get those two vets !!!!

Yeah, I don't think there's any way AJ would be in the 40 catch range on this team this year and he definitely would have been on the field a large majority of snaps. I mean, of Shorts, Washington, Mumphery, who would you use over AJ? And just being on the field that much here would have him at least matching last year's numbers. There's no way he would have been a 40 catch guy.

The problem with having AJ end his career as a Texan was the money. Plain and simple. It sucks that you have to lose a legend like that but that's life in pro sports. I don't necessarily know if the Texans are better off on the field without AJ, but they're definitely better off financially.

As for what is AJ thinking right now? Probably thinking he sure doesn't need the Texans beating his Colts in 3 weeks, winning the division and, if this defense can keep up it's Raven-esque like dominance, making a post-season run and going to Santa Clara in February. The football gods can be cruel like that.

....As for what is AJ thinking right now? Probably thinking he sure doesn't need the Texans beating his Colts in 3 weeks, winning the division and, if this defense can keep up it's Raven-esque like dominance, making a post-season run and going to Santa Clara in February. The football gods can be cruel like that.

True dat

andysamberg-double-true_zpsus4wezol.jpg

I don't blame Andre for thinking he had more left in the tank than he really does. That kind of confidence in his ability is one of the things that helped make him as great as he was. Unfortunately, time runs out for all of these guys.

But fortunately, when people look back in time they don't remember Hakeem as a Raptor or Jordan as a Wizard. And we won't remember Andre as a Colt. I wish the circumstances of him leaving had been different, but what happened was best for the Texans. Andre will realize that in time.

Yeah, I don't think there's any way AJ would be in the 40 catch range on this team this year and he definitely would have been on the field a large majority of snaps. I mean, of Shorts, Washington, Mumphery, who would you use over AJ? And just being on the field that much here would have him at least matching last year's numbers. There's no way he would have been a 40 catch guy.

The problem with having AJ end his career as a Texan was the money. Plain and simple. It sucks that you have to lose a legend like that but that's life in pro sports. I don't necessarily know if the Texans are better off on the field without AJ, but they're definitely better off financially.

As for what is AJ thinking right now? Probably thinking he sure doesn't need the Texans beating his Colts in 3 weeks, winning the division and, if this defense can keep up it's Raven-esque like dominance, making a post-season run and going to Santa Clara in February. The football gods can be cruel like that.

Yeah, even though it was never said that money was discussed between him and O'Brien, it was about the money. I have no doubt that if A.J. had accepted whatever role they wanted for him in Houston, the next conversation was going to be about the money. That's just the business side of this industry.

We all love A.J., but I won't feel bad for him if the Texans can win in Indy in a few weeks and go to the playoffs. While we respect the guy, we root for the name on the front of the jerseys, not the back.

I don't blame Andre for thinking he had more left in the tank than he really does. That kind of confidence in his ability is one of the things that helped make him as great as he was. Unfortunately, time runs out for all of these guys.

But fortunately, when people look back in time they don't remember Hakeem as a Raptor or Jordan as a Wizard. And we won't remember Andre as a Colt. I wish the circumstances of him leaving had been different, but what happened was best for the Texans. Andre will realize that in time.

Yep. Green Bay just had a huge welcoming party for Favre and retired his number. It was good to see. And I look forward to the day that the Texans do the same for A.J.

Would have been nice if they approached it that way, the way they approached Jjo.

We don't know exactly what happened, what was said... But the story they're throwing out there is a chickenshit way to treat a guy like Andre. Makes the Letterman jackets & college locker room bullshit seem like world class business practices.

Back