Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

Used primarily as a blocker, Andre had a better catch percentage than Nate Washington and higher YPC than Cecil Shorts ... as the #4 option. Seeing as Andre was healthy the whole season, his numbers extrapolated here as a #2 would've been around 900 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Not worth his price tag, but certainly worth having in the offense.

Used primarily as a blocker, Andre had a better catch percentage than Nate Washington and higher YPC than Cecil Shorts ... as the #4 option. Seeing as Andre was healthy the whole season, his numbers extrapolated here as a #2 would've been around 900 yards and 7 touchdowns.

Not worth his price tag, but certainly worth having in the offense.

AJ was their #2 WR, starting opposite of TY Hilton. His receiving stats were 4th. I'm sure he didn't go there and wasn't signed to be used primarily as a blocker.

AJ was their #2 WR, starting opposite of TY Hilton. His receiving stats were 4th. I'm sure he didn't go there and wasn't signed to be used primarily as a blocker.

No. He certainly wasn't used as their #2, that was Moncrief. AJ saw most of his time in Indy's heavier sets as a blocker, and in the 4th quarter as Indy was often behind. He had the 4th most targets (a paltry 77), but was subbed out of spread formations for Dorsett.

No. He certainly wasn't used as their #2, that was Moncrief. AJ saw most of his time in Indy's heavier sets as a blocker, and in the 4th quarter as Indy was often behind. He had the 4th most targets (a paltry 77), but was subbed out of spread formations for Dorsett.

He most certainly was their #2 up until December, aka the vast majority of the season, when his snap counts dropped dramatically and Moncrief for more snaps.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...johnson-donte-moncrief-griff-whalen/76559956/

Even with that he was on the field for 710 snaps this seasons; in comparison to Washingtons 795 and Shorts 590.

Andre Johnson had a chance to sign with the Patriots and win a ring. I think they're going to repeat as Super Bowl champions and Tom Brady will soon have five Super Bowl rings, to go along with his seven Super Bowl appearances.

Andre should have went out a champion. Andrew Luck may never be the same again. Andre Johnson thought he was going to be the best quarterback he had ever played with. For half of this past season Mr. Luck couldn't even throw a football without being in serious pain with his abdomen and kidneys.

I can't say I feel sorry for Andre Johnson.
You signed with a division rival. You got No Playoffs.

I almost wish he stayed here though. As I think losing 30-0 at home in the wild-card game would have been a better punishment for 'Dre.

See you in 2016, Andre Johnson.
The Texans will win the AFC South again without you.

Let's just hope we have a better QB than Brian Hoyer!!!!!!
And then we might actually win more playoff games.

AJ is a possible cap casualty in Indy; LINK

The Indianapolis Star's Zak Keefer considers it "likely" the Colts release Andre Johnson.
The Colts were lauded for their signing of Johnson last offseason following his release from the division-rival Texans, but apparently Houston knew something most of us didn't; Johnson was done or close to it. Now going on age 35 and coming off a horrific 41-503-4 line, Johnson may be one-and-done in Indy. The Colts can save $5 million against the cap by releasing Johnson. They can move forward with T.Y. Hilton, Donte Moncrief, and Phillip Dorsett. Feb 10 - 11:13 AM

Andre Johnson had a chance to sign with the Patriots and win a ring. I think they're going to repeat as Super Bowl champions and Tom Brady will soon have five Super Bowl rings, to go along with his seven Super Bowl appearances.

Andre should have went out a champion. Andrew Luck may never be the same again. Andre Johnson thought he was going to be the best quarterback he had ever played with. For half of this past season Mr. Luck couldn't even throw a football without being in serious pain with his abdomen and kidneys.

I can't say I feel sorry for Andre Johnson.
You signed with a division rival. You got No Playoffs.

I almost wish he stayed here though. As I think losing 30-0 at home in the wild-card game would have been a better punishment for 'Dre.

See you in 2016, Andre Johnson.
The Texans will win the AFC South again without you.

Let's just hope we have a better QB than Brian Hoyer!!!!!!
And then we might actually win more playoff games.

I don't get this. Dre was a class act his whole time with the Texans. The Texans were not going to resign him. Andre wasn't the only one that thought Luck would lead the Colts to the playoffs this year. Most everyone else did too. It didn't happen, and somehow the Texans stumbled into the AFC South Championship, as hollow a title as I can remember in a long time. Then again I don't take NFL football as seriously as some people do.

I don't get this. Dre was a class act his whole time with the Texans. The Texans were not going to resign him. Andre wasn't the only one that thought Luck would lead the Colts to the playoffs this year. Most everyone else did too. It didn't happen, and somehow the Texans stumbled into the AFC South Championship, as hollow a title as I can remember in a long time. Then again I don't take NFL football as seriously as some people do.

It stung a little that Andre signed with the Colts. It stung very little. We cut him. He can do whatever he wants. It didn't go as planned for him. I don't really care where he ends up. My memories of him are that of a great player that handled his business like a professional. I don't get the over the top sensitivity and ill will because he signed with Indy. He didn't do what Brett Farvre did to the Packers. Hell even those fans got over it. Maybe our fans will get over it too?

If AJ doesn't retire as a Texan I will be equally disappointed in him and the franchise. Gotta let **** go. He was the franchise.

Reactions: JB
If AJ doesn't retire as a Texan I will be equally disappointed in him and the franchise. Gotta let **** go. He was the franchise.

I agree, but I doubt it happens if A.J. retires this year. It's been what, 10 months?, since they parted ways, so I doubt he swallows his pride for a Texans marketing opportunity.

I'm sure time will heal wounds and he'll get the huge standing ovation when he returns to NRG for the retirement ceremony for no. 80.

I agree, but I doubt it happens if A.J. retires this year. It's been what, 10 months?, since they parted ways, so I doubt he swallows his pride for a Texans marketing opportunity.

I'm sure time will heal wounds and he'll get the huge standing ovation when he returns to NRG for the retirement ceremony for no. 80.

I think they should offer him a FO position. That would be the right thing to do in my eyes. Sign the one day contract, retire, and become the Texans ambassador.

I think they should offer him a FO position. That would be the right thing to do in my eyes. Sign the one day contract, retire, and become the Texans ambassador.

That would be awesome. If nothing else, he could become a mod on Texans Talk! :D

AJ ... 77 targets, 503 yards, 4 touchdowns, 53% catch rating, 12.3 yards per reception, 4th in targets on team (primarily used in heavy packages and asked to beat man coverage)
Nate ... 94 targets, 658 yards, 4 touchdowns, 50% catch rating, 14.0 yards per reception, 2nd in targets on team (18th in drops)
Shorts ... 75 targets, 484 yards, 2 touchdowns, 56% catch rating, 11.5 yards per reception, 3rd in targets on team (22nd in drops)

Andre wasn't worth 15mil or whatever his pricetag was. Nor is he worth the 7.5mil that Indy is paying. However, he's most certainly got value - especially compared to what we trotted out. If used correctly (something he hasn't seen in the past 3 seasons) he's a very real asset. Andre's a slant and stop (motion/spread TE and zone buster) receiver at this point in his career. Infantry nailed it with his comparison to Shannon Sharpe. I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver give him a call, because Andre's what Elway hoped that Vernon Davis could be.

Last edited:
AJ ... 77 targets, 503 yards, 4 touchdowns, 53% catch rating, 12.3 yards per reception, 4th in targets on team (primarily used in heavy packages and asked to beat man coverage)
Nate ... 94 targets, 658 yards, 4 touchdowns, 50% catch rating, 14.0 yards per reception, 2nd in targets on team (18th in drops)
Shorts ... 75 targets, 484 yards, 2 touchdowns, 56% catch rating, 11.5 yards per reception, 3rd in targets on team (22nd in drops)

Andre wasn't worth 15mil or whatever his pricetag was. Nor is he worth the 7.5mil that Indy is paying. However, he's most certainly got value - especially compared to what we trotted out. If used correctly (something he hasn't seen in the past 3 seasons) he's a very real asset. Andre's a slant and stop (motion/spread TE and zone buster) receiver at this point in his career. Infantry nailed it with his comparison to Shannon Sharpe. I wouldn't be surprised to see Denver give him a call, because Andre's what Elway hoped that Vernon Davis could be.

Believe what you want, AJ is done. Even though he may hang on for a couple of more yrs. Jerry Rice did and it looks like AJ will too. Father time catches up to the greatest.

Cutting AJ was a great move by Sith/BOB, I hope they follow suit with Foster.

BTW, I cant believe any Texans fan could root for anything cheapshot/PED /Crying to God'ell when you get your butt kicked Colts related trash.

Yeah but to be fair, Manning wasn't running 9 routes, or deep outs every 30 seconds either so there is a difference in output there.

I can see your point however other positions don't have 4 to 6 defenders going balls to the wall trying to kill shot you every snap. In Manning's defense he's always been good at not getting hit like that.

Last edited:
Time to update the thread title again...

Colts tell Andre Johnson he’s cut
; LINK

Veteran wide receiver Andre Johnson is on the way out in Indianapolis. The Colts have told Johnson that they are releasing him, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. It was reported last week that the decision to cut Johnson had been made. Johnson signed with the Colts a year ago after spending the first 12 seasons of his career with the Texans. Although Johnson played all 16 games for the Colts, he had a relatively uneventful season, with just 41 catches for 503 yards and four touchdowns. At age 34, Johnson doesn’t have much left. His agent has said he plans to keep playing, but there may not be many options for him. If Johnson does decide to call it a career, he finishes with 1,053 catches, eighth in NFL history, and 14,100 receiving yards, ninth in NFL history.

If he decides he's done... time for a one-day contract to retire as a Texan to prepare for his eventual trip to Canton? He only has one year of taint as a Colt, at least.

If he decides he's done... time for a one-day contract to retire as a Texan to prepare for his eventual trip to Canton? He only has one year of taint as a Colt, at least.

One season in Indy? That will wash off easy. A little Fe-breeze and it will be like he never even went there.

One season in Indy? That will wash off easy. A little Fe-breeze and it will be like he never even went there.

True, especially if he can get picked up by a true contender. If I was A.J., I'd be blowing up phones in New England, Seattle, and Green Bay. He's been paid, and his spite probably resolved, so now it's time to put it all in one season for a real team that can really compete for a championship instead of a pretender like Indy.

True, especially if he can get picked up by a true contender. If I was A.J., I'd be blowing up phones in New England, Seattle, and Green Bay.
I actually like the Texans current roster, right now, a lot more than all of the so-called true contenders. Andre Johnson should be begging to come back here. LOL.

Especially with the Super Bowl being at NRG Stadium in Houston and all. If we have a big year and get home field advantage we could have home field all the way through.

Bob McNair wants Andre Johnson to retire as a Texan

When receiver Andre Johnson's career is over, owner Bob McNair wants him to return to NRG Stadium and retire as a Texan before the team honors him.

"We want him to come back and retire as a Texan," McNair said during a break in the NFL's spring meetings Monday.

McNair said he will consider retiring Johnson's familiar No. 80 and that the greatest offensive player in franchise history will be honored inside NRG Stadium.

"We'd certainly consider that," McNair said about retiring players' jerseys. "We're going to have a Hall of Fame for them and recognition in the stadium for them, but we have to decide if we want to retire jerseys.

There currently is no Hall of Fame at NRG Stadium, but McNair expects to have one eventually. He also is planning to have some kind of ring of honor inside the stadium for the greatest players in franchise history.

Source

:texflag:

I don't get the one day contract to retire for whatever team deal. That just seems really silly to me. Bring him back and make him a Texans ambassador and be done with it. Let him lead the team out of the tunnel once a year, preferably the AFC Championship game, let him come out at halftime for "homecoming" or whatever, bring him back to start the Texans Ring of Honor, but enough of the one day contract silliness.

BTW, where's The Onion article about one day contracts, one day signing bonuses and the cap hit of these one day contracts?

I don't know, Speedy.

The one day contracts make a lot of sense.
Especially in those very rare situations.

Imagine if Emmitt Smith had retired as an Arizona Cardinal instead of with the Dallas Cowboys? One day contracts for truly special Hall of Fame players make a lot of sense for players like that.

And Andre Johnson is a special Hall of Famer in my mind. Sure, I'd rather see the Texans sign him to a one or two-year contract so he can finish out his career in Houston, as Andre isn't planning to retire yet, but if we can't have that then a one day contract (when he does retire) is the next best thing.

He can still play with another team before he retires with the Texans.

I understand the sentimental side of things with the "one day contract" but I also think it's just a gesture and to my mind kind of a meaningless one. It pleases some people and I'm not faulting them for that. Fans are like the kids in a messy divorce when great players leave their teams, particularly when there was a falling out or dispute of some kind (and when isn't there one when money is involved?) but the one day contract doesn't erase the shitty way the Texans treated AJ and it doesn't erase the petulant and unreasonable way he felt (which is common where athletes with declining skills are concerned).

I just think the nice day with the smiles and kind words will be fun but ultimately I'm going to remember the stink that went up when AJ got released and not the show that followed.

I'm not a fan of the one day contract. Like said above, it's just silly. But, I guess it's a symbol for the symbol-minded folks, and they're customers, too, I suppose.

I do like the idea of retiring numbers, though. There should never be another no. 80 in a Texans uniform.

The Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders and Atlanta Falcons do it right. They don't retire jersey numbers. They honor their great players in other ways. A ring of honor for the Cowboys, for example. The numbers of the players are still honored in the stadium.

It's kind of fun watching Dez Bryant wear Michael Irvin's number 88 to be honest. Comparing great players, in different eras, at the same position is pretty cool. Even more so when they share the same number for the same team. I never understood why teams retire numbers.

What if they end up retiring too many? The Bears have retired an NFL leading 14 numbers. I guess we'll all be dead by then, but say in another two, three or four centuries, some teams may have to use three digit numbers, perhaps a 0 in front?

If DeAndre Hopkins wanted to change his current number 10 to 80, hypothetically speaking, he should be more than welcomed to do so.

But hey, it's Bob McNair's team. He seems adamant about retiring Andre Johnson's #80. So I'll just have to accept it and I'll applaud it when it happens.

I still want to see Andre Johnson retire a Texan though. That means more to me than retiring his number.

We already knew what a great player he was. I haven't missed Andre Johnson play a game in the NFL. He should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Honoring him with a special ring of honor, would work just the same as a retired number would it not?

Why can't a future player for the Houston Texans wear 80? I guess I will agree to disagree on that one. I like the way the Cowboys, Raiders and Falcons do things.

Anyone showing interest in AJ? I hate the way he left, but would bring him back for a slot receiver for a cheap one year deal.

Andre Johnson still hoping some team will give him a shot

Veteran wide receiver Andre Johnson is still hoping some team will give him a shot at playing in 2016.

Johnson is working out and staying in shape, and he’s continuing to indicate he doesn’t consider his career over.

The question is whether NFL teams agree. The Colts cut Johnson early in the offseason, and there’s been little news of any other teams showing interest in him. Last year Johnson was healthy enough to play all 16 games, but he managed just 41 catches for 503 yards and four touchdowns.

Johnson turns 35 on Monday and is well past the age when most wide receivers start to slow down. But he may still have it in him to be a contributor to some team’s offense.

If Johnson is able to put up even the mediocre stats he managed last year, he’d pad his Hall of Fame résumé. With 26 catches, Johnson would move ahead of Terrell Owens and Reggie Wayne and into sixth place all time in receptions. With 481 yards he would move ahead of Wayne and Marvin Harrison into seventh-place in career receiving yards. Just as Steve Smith has acknowledged he’s playing to reach 1,000 catches, Johnson may be motivated by bolstering his legacy, even if he’s not the same player now that he was in his prime.

If he will accept his role and it's commensurate pay, teams would be crazy not to look at him. Just not us.

If he will accept his role and it's commensurate pay, teams would be crazy not to look at him. Just not us.

You keep saying this and saying this, yet he had a terrible season and is practically begging teams to sign him.

You have any idea how foolish this keeps sounding from you and other Texans hopefuls that keep living in 2010? Have you not forgotten that you guys wanted the Texans to pay him like $12 mill two seasons ago all because he was AJ and refused to realize that he was nowhere near the same player? Face it, AJ was in a great situation last year with a lot of weapons around him that should have helped him to hit his numbers. He disappointed big time and was way overpaid. I hope he finds a team since he desperately still wants to play, but he is just another guy entering a camp now. Its time to let it go.

Back