Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson released - cut by Colts - signs with Titans

How do y'all think the successful orgs run their teams. Does Kraft/Rooney/Biscotti/Bowlen run their teams that way?

Hopefully McNair gets lucky and finds his QB.
Well Rooney stepped in during the 2004 draft and guided them to Roethlisberger.
The Browns' picking tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. proved to be one of the draft's pivotal points. But the Steelers also came close to passing over Roethlisberger after he lasted through the first 10 picks.

The team had zeroed in on Arkansas offensive tackle Shawn Andrews, but owner Dan Rooney deftly shifted the conversation to Roethlisberger before the Steelers made their pick.
link
I'll bet if I kept digging I'd find similar stories about all the owners you mentioned. Sometimes the boss steps in when he sees something his "football guys" might have missed.

You have to admit, O'Brien knew Schaub was out and we needed a fanchise-quality QB when he got hired. Two years later, after going thru retreads and Belichick's castoffs, O'Brien still didn't have one. It was time for the boss to step in and say "Fix. This. Now."

link
I'll bet if I kept digging I'd find similar stories about all the owners you mentioned. Sometimes the boss steps in when he sees something his "football guys" might have missed.

You have to admit, O'Brien knew Schaub was out and we needed a fanchise-quality QB when he got hired. Two years later, after going thru retreads and Belichick's castoffs, O'Brien still didn't have one. It was time for the boss to step in and say "Fix. This. Now."

:clap::clap::clap::cowboy1:

link

I totally agree with this.

Nope, I like the Os signing he's got potential to be a top 10 QB with experience and OB teaching him. However there's no doubt this was a knee jerk signing under the order of McNair. More proof he still meddles. His football people need to be making those calls. He needs to sit back and do what he does best. (Keep collecting the $$$$)

I don't think it was knee jerk at all. I think McNair looked at the QBs the last 2 years of OB's reign and said enough of this shit. And I'm absolutely fine with meddling in that instance because it's exactly how I felt.

And normally, leaving football things up to football people is what I prefer unless those football people are on a nationally televised TV show trying to tell the world how great Hoyer and Mallett are.

I don't think it was knee jerk at all. I think McNair looked at the QBs the last 2 years of OB's reign and said enough of this shit. And I'm absolutely fine with meddling in that instance because it's exactly how I felt.

And this was low order meddling - "get a QB." It wasn't "hey some homeless guy said to take the drunk Aggie so we're talking Manziel."

And this was low order meddling - "get a QB." It wasn't "hey some homeless guy said to take the drunk Aggie so we're talking Manziel."

Without a doubt low order meddling. And I don't blame him. He was probably sicker than any of us with that 30-0 Hoyer playoff debacle. He is seeing star players at their peaks wasting away careers because O'Brien wanted to guru a bunch of backup scrubs. Enough already. Get a guy in here that actually has a shot of being a great QB. We know the 7 Dwarfs of the past two years don't have that potential.

Without a doubt low order meddling. And I don't blame him. He was probably sicker than any of us with that 30-0 Hoyer playoff debacle. He is seeing star players at their peaks wasting away careers because O'Brien wanted to guru a bunch of backup scrubs. Enough already. Get a guy in here that actually has a shot of being a great QB. We know the 7 Dwarfs of the past two years don't have that potential.
Wait, what?

You mean they weren't these guys...?

Magnificent-Seven,-The_1.jpg

:D

He's doing an AFC South tour!

Is he signing with AFC South teams for a personal reason or are these the only teams interested in his services?

I could sort of hope he had a good season while his team sucks with the Colts.

I just can't wish any Titan a good season, even if it is A.J.

He's doing an AFC South tour!

Is he signing with AFC South teams for a personal reason or are these the only teams interested in his services?

I could sort of hope he had a good season while his team sucks with the Colts.

I just can't wish any Titan a good season, even if it is A.J.

Exactly! The entire franchise can burn to the ground. I will boo all of them, including AJ!

The Tacks signed him for 2 years. If he plays most of the games on the outside opposite Kendall Wright, doubt that he is able to last on the field intact for most of his contract.

The Tacks signed him for 2 years. If he plays most of the games on the outside opposite Kendall Wright, doubt that he is able to last on the field intact for most of his contract.

He still has G-money left over from his Colts contract with offset language. I bet the first year is for veteran min, so the Colts wouldn't be off the hook, and the second year has whatever they agreed on for guaranteed money.

This piece of news put an image of J-Jo covering AJ on a fly pattern in my head
...with a twist
images

or maybe
walkerraces_reference.jpg

Any photoshop wizards in the audience?
:D

Last edited:
What a real piece of **** this guy turned out to be. Hopefully he gets cracked by Cush & Co. over the middle.

**** him and **** Tennessee.

Why? Sounds like the Titans were the only ones to offer him a contract. Can't blame the guy for wanting to continue to work.

Sure. Doesn't mean I don't think he's a ********** for signing with the Colts then the Titans.

But I understand that rivalries don't mean anything in sports anymore, if they ever did. If the players don't care about them, then I think fans will follow suit in due time, and we'll get a juiceless, cookie-cutter industry where every game and every season feels the exact same way.

Sure. Doesn't mean I don't think he's a ********** for signing with the Colts then the Titans.

But I understand that rivalries don't mean anything in sports anymore, if they ever did. If the players don't care about them, then I think fans will follow suit in due time, and we'll get a juiceless, cookie-cutter industry where every game and every season feels the exact same way.

You are about 20 years late on this already.

To me, this is like Samuel L Jackson doing Capitol One Commercials.

I love the guy, still think he's got the skills to earn a spot on any team. Maybe not #1 guy... or #2 guy... but as long as Keyshawn Martin can make a team, Andre should be able to make a team.

It's sad he had to settle on the Titans.

& remember, these guys love to play this game. I can't imagine if the Titans offered you a job expressing your opinion about their team on their message board, you'd turn them down. & I bet your opinion of that team becomes a lot more objective if not flat out flattering to boot.

To me, this is like Samuel L Jackson doing Capitol One Commercials.

I love the guy, still think he's got the skills to earn a spot on any team. Maybe not #1 guy... or #2 guy... but as long as Keyshawn Martin can make a team, Andre should be able to make a team.

It's sad he had to settle on the Titans.

& remember, these guys love to play this game. I can't imagine if the Titans offered you a job expressing your opinion about their team on their message board, you'd turn them down. & I bet your opinion of that team becomes a lot more objective if not flat out flattering to boot.

Nah, I'd tell them to go **** themselves.

4qnfpux6vlcx.jpg

How do you feel about AJ now?

I feel that for fans it could be a disappointment that he will be playing for a rival. For a player, it is a business to given the team that afforded him the opportunity to continue his career. I don't get too worked up about players decisions since many of them are good friends with the same players off the field that they play against on game day. As fans and supporters we sometimes are worked up on sports and politics while those we argue about are out having dinner together.

I love the guy and hope he does well except against us of course. Dude was the pinnacle in earning respect on and off field and giving his all, usually with his mouth shut. I would like to shake his hand.

One of the best WRs I've ever seen play the game. 1st Texans HOF'er. Playmaker. Monster amongst divas. An absolute great.

The man wanting to continue doing what he loves, and whatever laundry that comes with that, isn't changing any of those things for me.

I feel the same way. I just can't root for him in a Titans uniform is the only thing changing for me.

I really, really hope the logjam at WR with the HoF doesn't delay his entry too long. He was clearly the best WR in the league for awhile there. Paired with a better QB and I have no doubt he'd have a ring (and better TD numbers).

4qnfpux6vlcx.jpg

How do you feel about AJ now?
I'm not sure why anyone should feel different about AJ now that he's a Titan than they did when he signed with the Colts (beyond the fact that he's playing for a team that on paper is less formidable, and less of a threat to win the division title).

AJ's legacy (at least to me) is absolutely safe. Players move on more often than not. I don't hear a lot of Rockets fans upset at Hakeem for his time with the Raptors. Granted, AJ's time in Houston didn't come with a championship, but I'm not holding that against him, just like I'm not holding moving on against him.

I will add, that I don't really give two diddly's about how well he does or doesn't do with the Titans other than hoping he does nothing to hurt the
Texans season. My concept of AJ is as a Texan, and nothing he can do at this point - good or bad - will impact that in any way.

Some of guys are hilarious. I bet if you got laid off at work you would feel too much loyalty to the people that just fired you to go work for a competitor in the same industry. You would just shrug your shoulders and go learn an entirely different skill as your window to earn money in that industry was closing.

You don't have to be an AJ fan for life. You don't have to cheer him on his new team. But he didn't betray you by going to the Colts or Titans. He's just a guy trying to find work as the clock gets closer to running out on him.

The point of view that some of you hold is hilarious. There is no loyalty on your part. But then you criticize when the teams or players hold the same view.

This forum has very few of these types but they do exist apparently.

I'm not sure why anyone should feel different about AJ now that he's a Titan than they did when he signed with the Colts .

The Titans and Bud Adams history with this city is all you need to know.

I'm not justifying bad feelings toward AJ, but just, if you're curious, explaining why someone would feel different about the Titans than the Colts. I hate the Titans.

ChampionTexan has it right IMO.

One thing I have definitely experienced as a result of the this last year with AJ as a Colt and now signing with the Titans is that I see him as he really is and by that I don't mean to knock him in any way. I see him clearly as just another NFL football player. He's just like most of them in that he's a "great competitor", and he wants to win, and he wants to get paid, and he cannot see that his skills are diminishing. This is just the same old story all across the league for as long as its been around and probably for as long as it will last.

I look at his play, his great plays and I'm still incredibly impressed but I also see him in a more realistic light. He was our first real star (at least the first one to fulfill the promise he came here with) and he was the guy we all assumed would be the first HoF Texan. I know I used to think he was a lock but I don't anymore. I think he's a guy who ran out of time before he could do what he needed to do in order to get in and while he may get in one day I won't think he was robbed or done wrong in some way if he doesn't get in or if it takes a long time.

This process of letting go of the Texans first star has restored perspective for me and as a result I think I am a lot more realistic about players like J.J. and Nuk. I think watching the Texans and AJ split like that and seeing him play in Colts colors last year made it easier to see Arian Foster's career here come to an end. It's all good. They both made their biggest noise as Texans and they'll always be welcome back as far as I'm concerned as former players and former stars. They'll always be Texans and whatever "Eric Moulds-like" BS he does in Nashville won't really tarnish that in any way.

I think of it like this. There was a time when feeling bad about seeing a Texans player cast off was hard to do and seeing them in someone else's colors was even harder to imagine. At least we're not still mired in that kind of existence. We're not signing Eric Moulds anymore. Other teams are signing our version of him instead. That's a step in the right direction if I ever saw one.

Some of guys are hilarious. I bet if you got laid off at work you would feel too much loyalty to the people that just fired you to go work for a competitor in the same industry.

Not to mention what's really I portent. He's still giving to the Houston community. Far as I know he still has his place here in Houston & when he finally hangs it up, he plans to come back home... pumping them Tennessee dollars into Houston's economy.

Well said, Herv. I guess all that happened with me way back when and Earl was in a Saints uniform. From that point on, I realized that it's just business.

Same here,

This is why I look at things differently when it comes to ownership than most fans.

It's just a business on both the players side and ownership side and $$$$ always comes 1st. Sometimes people around here dont like what I have to say about McNair and I dont articulate my thoughts as well as I should, but the bottom line is this is a business for the McNair's and business is good around these parts. Example: Rick Smith tenure/contract extension = business is good, even though winning is secondary. I mean Smith hasn't brought a winner in a decade so what should be expected in the next 4 yrs/decade?

AJ's most compelling stats for a HOF argument were his averages, not his totals - yards per game, catches per game, etc. Keep riding the string out and watch those averages drop while the totals never get there.

Projecting future Hall of Famers for all 32 NFL teams
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/pag...carolina-panthers-make-pro-football-hall-fame
Andre Johnson was a disappointment during his lone season in Indianapolis and might struggle to make an impact down the depth chart in Tennessee, but what he did with Matt Schaub as his primary quarterback all those years in Houston should be enough to make the Hall. Johnson made seven Pro Bowls and was a first-team All-Pro twice, which is usually enough for skill-position players to eventually work their way into Canton. It helps that he'll finish his career in the top 10 in receptions and receiving yards, although he'll likely fall out of those rankings by the time he's eligible for selection. 75 percent

On a side note only 4 players were given 100% chances of making the HoF:
Aaron Rodgers
JJ Watt
Tom Brady
Drew Brees

Back