Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All Encompassing Vick Thread

Michael Vick pleads to state dogfighting charge
By LARRY O'DELL – 2 hours ago

SUSSEX, Va. (AP) - Former NFL quarterback Michael Vick pleaded guilty Tuesday to a state dogfighting charge, a move that could make him eligible to leave prison early and potentially speed up a return to pro football.

Vick, 28, arrived wearing wrist and ankle shackles with his gray suit, but the restraints were removed by the time he entered his plea. The one-time Atlanta Falcons star also pleaded not guilty to a count of cruelty to animals, but that charge was dropped under his plea deal.

He received a three-year suspended sentence - far less than the maximum of 10 years he could have faced.

"I want to apologize to the court, my family, and to all the kids who looked up to me as a role model," Vick told the judge.

Entire Article here: AP Article: Michael Vick pleads to state dogfighting charge

PS.... HOU-TEX should really be stoked now. :)

We should give him a chance to tryout. Schaub has a great track record of being a backup to Vick. ;)

He was healthy behind Vick.

Dude, seriously, I couldn't pull for the team if we signed Ron Mexico.

I hope my sarcasm was obvious. I don't want Vick here. (And I'm not sure if I want his broken backup here, either! hehe, j/k!)

If Leonard Little is in the league then it is BULLSH*T if Pacman or Vick or anyone else is banned....period.

The Texans are too conservative to bring in Vick.

Da Raiders will do it.

Doing what Vick did was wack and punk arse. I don't get the fighting dogs thing. It isn't the worst thing that one has done.

Vick won't be going anywhere except the Arena League. He is basically a blacklisted player, its just unspoken and unofficial for legal reasons. The NFL doesn't want Vick back and the owners understand that and realize the immense public pressure your franchise would be under by taking Vick in at this point in time. The media, PETA, and an almost universal majority of fanbases would be down their team owners throats....its just not worth it. Maybe Detroit if he plays Arena ball and looks good and works out the kinks.

I think what Vick did was horrible and reprehensible but some people are just raised differently and if he learned a lesson about being humane and about the responsibility of being a role model as an NFL QB, then I feel he deserves a chance. I just don't think he is going to get a sniff. It's just not worth it at the end of the day. Risk V. Reward. not worth it.

I hope my sarcasm was obvious. I don't want Vick here. (And I'm not sure if I want his broken backup here, either! hehe, j/k!)

Oh, I didn't need the sarcasm meter on that one. I read you five by five.

Now, you start talking about signing Jeff George... now we're getting somewhere!

Atlanta sure did pass us up though.

Ain't that the damn truth. Essentially the same defensive players less DeAngelo Hall (addition by subtraction?), a rookie QB, and the Burner. We're eating their dust at present.

Vick won't be going anywhere except the Arena League. He is basically a blacklisted player, its just unspoken and unofficial for legal reasons. The NFL doesn't want Vick back and the owners understand that and realize the immense public pressure your franchise would be under by taking Vick in at this point in time. The media, PETA, and an almost universal majority of fanbases would be down their team owners throats....its just not worth it. Maybe Detroit if he plays Arena ball and looks good and works out the kinks.

I think what Vick did was horrible and reprehensible but some people are just raised differently and if he learned a lesson about being humane and about the responsibility of being a role model as an NFL QB, then I feel he deserves a chance. I just don't think he is going to get a sniff. It's just not worth it at the end of the day. Risk V. Reward. not worth it.

Actually, if he is reinstated by the league (please no Lord) then I believe the Falcons will own the rights for him.

True, but unfortunately one has nothing to do with the other. Tagliabue was the Commish that allowed Little to play. Goodell is the commish now and has shown less tolerance for douchebaggery..

You brought up good points, but Al Davis would love to spite the league by signing him.

You brought up good points, but Al Davis would love to spite the league by signing him.

i don't know, man. the raiders are already fully invested in JaMarcus Russell. they aren't going to give up on Russell this early and he has shown some signs of late. He wouldn't mind p**sing off the rest of the NFL and giving them the finger but its just not in the cards.

I really feel he is going to have to play in the CFL or Arena leagues in order to earn a chance and by then he is a year older and another year away from the NFL. He will get his freedom back by serving the time thus paying his 'debt to society' but he is going to have to pay some more dues to try and salvage his NFL career. If he plays well, someone will come a calling but its not going to happen overnight.

as for his 'semi-pro' career, he would increase visibility of those respective leagues. You know ESPN is going to be showing highlights on Sportscenter if he plays in another league.

I don't want the dude because he stayed in school just so we wouldn't draft him to begin with. Oh I remember how he said that was his reason for staying in school.

Falcons seeking to trade rights to Michael Vick
1 hour ago

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff says the Falcons will try to trade the contract rights on Michael Vick to another team.

In an interview that appeared on the team's website on Friday, Dimitroff said, "With regards to Michael Vick, we've decided to seek a trade of his contractual rights to another NFL club."

Vick is currently in federal prison on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July.

Vick has a contract that runs to 2013 and calls for him to receive a base salary of $9 million and a bonus of $6.43 million in 2009. The remainder of the contract is worth $45.11 million, with another possible $3 million in Pro Bowl bonuses.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ipvDoj2DqBHhnKxaUpFjqwURArpwD96ASS201

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ipvDoj2DqBHhnKxaUpFjqwURArpwD96ASS201
FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) — Atlanta general manager Thomas Dimitroff says the Falcons will try to trade the contract rights on Michael Vick to another team.

In an interview that appeared on the team's website on Friday, Dimitroff said, "With regards to Michael Vick, we've decided to seek a trade of his contractual rights to another NFL club."

Vick is currently in federal prison on felony charges related to dogfighting and is scheduled to be released in July.

Vick has a contract that runs to 2013 and calls for him to receive a base salary of $9 million and a bonus of $6.43 million in 2009. The remainder of the contract is worth $45.11 million, with another possible $3 million in Pro Bowl bonuses.

Somethings screwey. Posts aren't showing up.

I though I was 'breaking' the news but a dozen posters beat me too it but their posts aren't showing up.

vickjury1ca8.jpg

Great cartoon. But I bet he gets another chance with some NFL team.

Vick present in Virginia court hearingComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- A lawyer for suspended NFL star Michael Vick told a bankruptcy court Thursday that the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback has lined up a $10-an-hour construction job for when he gets out of prison.

Vick, 28, appeared in court for the first time in his bankruptcy case to explain to a judge how he plans to emerge from his financial problems. Before the hearing began, he turned around to wave and smile at family members sitting in the courtroom. He is expected to testify before the proceeding wraps up Friday.

"You will hear from Mr. Vick his future intentions, how he's going to change the way he lives his life," his lawyer, Michael Blumenthal, told U.S. Bankrputcy Judge Frank J. Santoro.

Vick is serving a 23-month sentence for bankrolling a dogfighting ring, and his bankruptcy plan is based on the goal of returning to a professional football career. He briefly left a federal prison in Kansas to attend the hearing. He's scheduled to be released from custody in July, but could be sent to home confinement in late May.

An agent for Vick said during court testimony that he hoped Vick could be back in the NFL by September.

Joel Segal testified as part of the hearing to assess Vick's bankruptcy plan.

If Vick is allowed to return, Segal said he would try to negotiate a one- or two-year contract that would include incentives for playing time and a starting position.

Vick, once one of the NFL's highest-paid players, plans to work 40 hours a week for $10 an hour at one of W.M. Jordan Co.'s 40 commercial construction jobs, said John Robert Lawson. His father, Robert Lawson, helped start the Newport News company.

Link: Vick present in Virginia court hearing

If he can't get back into NFL, Vick announces that he will show a responsible plan to pay back his bankruptcy debts with a $10 an hour job. The U.S. government's own Geitner must have guided him in putting this plan together.

He will also be meeting shortly with the NFL to allow re-entry in September. Vick in court: Michael Vick's agent says he hopes the former quarterback will be back in the NFL by September, but if not, his lawyer told a bankdruptcy court Vick has lined up a construction job when he gets out of prison. The 28-year old Vick appeared in court for the first time in his bankruptcy case to explain to a judge how he plans to emerge from his financial problems. He's expected to testify before the proceedings wraps up today. Vick is serving a 23-month sentence for bankrolling a dogfighting ring, and his bankruptcy plan is based on the goal of returning to professional football career.

Vick offered up money he doesn't have to use for his reorganization plan along with keeping 3 vehicles and 2 of 5 homes. Such a deal!

Bankruptcy judge rejects Michael Vick's reorganization plan

The onetime Atlanta Falcons star quarterback filed for bankruptcy last year while in prison. Creditors later filed nearly $38 million in claims from failed investments, mortgaged homes and back taxes. After settling a contract dispute with the Falcons, Vick still owes, at least on paper, more than $20 million.

Vick offered a plan to spend about a million dollars to begin the reorganization process, but the judge ruled that there was no evidence that the plan would work, chiefly because Vick has no firm commitment from the NFL that he will be reinstated.

Vick's plan called for him to keep three vehicles and two of five homes, including a large house overlooking the Nansemond River in Suffolk, that would have been mortgaged for $2 million.

but if Vick is forced to give up 4 of his 5 homes and all but 4 of his cars, how will he continue to represent his hood? how can he continue to live the thug life when they take all his things away?

i think this is a perversion of justice. a worthless pile of crap like Vick should be able to keep all the things he can't afford and hasn't paid for. isn't that the American way? Vick better give Obama a call and get some bailout money real quick like.

Vick is a pile of doo-doo and for him to be so naive to think he even has 1 week in the NFL much less 10 years just shows you how stupid this loser is. His bankruptcy plan is an indictment of his 3rd grade intelligence and an indictment of the greed first mentality.

screw vick. screw you. go screw yourself mike.

i miss michael vick... bring him back in the nfl

im bored and just watched some highlights...

:foottap: Vick should burn in hell...i hope we never see him in the NFL again. Right now he is making 10$ an hour working in construction. He got an offer for an Albany NY Arena Football team for like 200 a game (so 200$ a week) LMAO

:foottap: Vick should burn in hell...i hope we never see him in the NFL again. Right now he is making 10$ an hour working in construction. He got an offer for an Albany NY Arena Football team for like 200 a game (so 200$ a week) LMAO

You left out the $50 extra that he would receive for each winning game.:gun:

I disagree. I hope we do see him in the NFL again and I hope that he spends a lot of his time working to prevent the kind of abuse he was convicted of. I'd like nothing better than to see him finish paying his debt to society and turn his life around while doing something positive with it.

I wasn't even much of fan of his actually so I don't "miss" Michael Vick in the NFL. I just think that if you transgress against society then you should be allowed the chance to pay your debt and try to rebuild your life, preferably while incorporating whatever lesson you learned in the process. If you didn't learn anything then it's no big deal to let him resume his life anyway. He'll screw it up again shortly if he didn't learn his lesson.

I disagree. I hope we do see him in the NFL again and I hope that he spends a lot of his time working to prevent the kind of abuse he was convicted of. I'd like nothing better than to see him finish paying his debt to society and turn his life around while doing something positive with it.

I wasn't even much of fan of his actually so I don't "miss" Michael Vick in the NFL. I just think that if you transgress against society then you should be allowed the chance to pay your debt and try to rebuild your life, preferably while incorporating whatever lesson you learned in the process. If you didn't learn anything then it's no big deal to let him resume his life anyway. He'll screw it up again shortly if he didn't learn his lesson.

Everyone deserves a second chance. However, if your a CFO and commit fraud or perhaps sexual harassment in the work place, do your think that person should go back to being a CFO? I would suspect few if any would be allowed to do so even after YEARS of competent work as say an accountant. I think he is getting his second chance by hanging sheet rock. Second chance doesn't mean back to where you were, but rather an OPPORTUNITY to have a reasonably successful work life and a normal general life.

One thing that I have noticed lacking in all the extensive coverage of Vick, is the point that Vick's dog-fighting "big" business was allowed to thrive BECAUSE of his monies generated though his status in the NFL. He would have, otherwise, been relegated to a back room "game" played right next to the shuffle cup game.

I say when he pays off his debts with non-NFL dollars, and he has shown definite contrition, he should definitely be given another shot at the NFL. At $10 an hour, and, maybe sneaking away for the occasional arena football game, he should be NFL-ready by this time next century. :mcnugget:

If someone wants to give him a roster spot, fine. Don't really mind, or care. Hes served his time, and I wouldn't be surprised if no one wants to sign him up. If I were a GM, I wouldn't touch him. But that said, I can see why he would be looked at. Although, I don't think he will be back at the starting QB for anyone. I think he's more likely going to be picked up as a throwing HB, who can play in wildcat style plays, and he should do alright...he can throw a bit (not enough to lead a team anywhere), hasn't had that many hits after a few years out.

I just don't really see anyone saying "Here Mike, heres the keys, take us to the off-season."

If someone wants to give him a roster spot, fine. Don't really mind, or care. Hes served his time, and I wouldn't be surprised if no one wants to sign him up. If I were a GM, I wouldn't touch him. But that said, I can see why he would be looked at. Although, I don't think he will be back at the starting QB for anyone. I think he's more likely going to be picked up as a throwing HB, who can play in wildcat style plays, and he should do alright...he can throw a bit (not enough to lead a team anywhere), hasn't had that many hits after a few years out.

I just don't really see anyone saying "Here Mike, heres the keys, take us to the off-season."

That was the case while he was in the league. He should do alright...........in arena football...........and he'll feel right at home playing in a smaller "pit." And if he can't produce, maybe they'll attach live wires to his testicles and flip the switch.

:foottap: Vick should burn in hell
Grow up !
Vick killed some Pitt-Bulls, big deal when one considers widows in this state get less time in the slammer, maybe even walk, for killing their spouse. And he also lost a personal fortune.
Vicks punishment was extremely disproportionatly excessive for the crime IMO. Blame that on the nuts at PETA.
Of course he should be given another chance and he will. It's only right.

Grow up !
Vick killed some Pitt-Bulls, big deal when one considers widows in this state get less time in the slammer, maybe even walk, for killing their spouse. And he also lost a personal fortune.
Vicks punishment was extremely disproportionatly excessive for the crime IMO. Blame that on the nuts at PETA.

It's a big deal to me.

Everyone deserves a second chance. However, if your a CFO and commit fraud or perhaps sexual harassment in the work place, do your think that person should go back to being a CFO? I would suspect few if any would be allowed to do so even after YEARS of competent work as say an accountant. I think he is getting his second chance by hanging sheet rock. Second chance doesn't mean back to where you were, but rather an OPPORTUNITY to have a reasonably successful work life and a normal general life.

I don't think you can't honestly compare the positions of CFO and professional QB or the crimes in relation to the job. One position can be done by any number of people on the planet with the proper training and education. The other position can only be done by a relative handful of people on the planet and while their training and education in the role is important there's very little doubt that simple raw ability is even more important.

Keep in mind the level of the crime as it relates to their respective careers.

If an NFL QB had a gambling problem and was shown to have bet on games he'd played in then I think that would be the equivalent to a CFO cooking the books at the business he worked for. Neither one would ever get a chance to work at that level again. Michael Vick fighting dogs and even betting on the outcomes of those fights isn't the same as Vick being accused of throwing a game for a bet or something like that. It's bad yes and I was happy to see him get busted but it's not "Never play QB again" bad. Your CFO who gets busted for sexual harrassment would indeed work as an accountant again and he might very well rise to that level again over time but here is where I don't agree with your comparison. The CFO lives and works in "the real world" while Vick is more accurately compared to someone like Robert Downey Jr. who has been to prison more than once and has a notorious substance abuse problem. When he gets out though there is always a job waiting for him right back in the field he was in before. He might not be a leading man when he comes out but given a few years of staying out of trouble and an opportunity he's starring in "Iron Man" and back on top.

Athletes like Vick and actors like Downey Jr. are celebrities and the rules are not the same for them as they are for Joe CFO. Right or wrong that's just true and accepting the reality of that is just being a realist.

Paying your debt to society means being square with them and owing nothing. If you're in that position then you have the right to go as high as your abilities will take you. Nobody said you might not have to overcome the baggage you've loaded yourself down with but you can shoot for the top if you like.

Grow up !

Do you own a dog?

Grow up !

Excellent perspective.
At the risk of offending the more delicate pet owners here's the deal...

Dogs die every day at the pound or get run over in the streets by cars.

So should the workers at the pound or the guy who hits a dog with his car go to jail?
No.

and if you take your own dog out in the woods and put a bullet in his head because you're tired of him crapping on your carpet or are just tired of feeding him, no one will hunt you down and jail you for it.

So don't get it twisted. Vick went to jail because of the gambling operation. The press (and the prosecution) used the dog torture angle to boost ratings and to skew the jury. If all they had on Vick was the dog-killing angle, he wouldn't have done more than a few months... If that.

Excellent perspective.
At the risk of offending the more delicate pet owners here's the deal...

Dogs die every day at the pound or get run over in the streets by cars.

So should the workers at the pound or the guy who hits a dog with his car go to jail?
No.

and if you take your own dog out in the woods and put a bullet in his head because you're tired of him crapping on your carpet or are just tired of feeding him, no one will hunt you down and jail you for it.

So don't get it twisted. Vick went to jail because of the gambling operation. The press (and the prosecution) used the dog torture angle to boost ratings and to skew the jury. If all they had on Vick was the dog-killing angle, he wouldn't have done more than a few months... If that.

I could not disagree with you more on this. A worker at the pound who has to euthanize a dog that either cannot be placed in a home because of temperament or is not adopted for whatever reasons or someone who has a dog dart out in front of them can't be compared to Michael Vick. To borrow (and clean up) a line from Pulp Fiction "this ain't the same ball park. It ain't the same league. It ain't even the same sport."

The fact that dogs die every day doesn't give people license to do what Vick did. I am not an apologist for the man. I just see the criminal justice system in this country as being a fairly straightforward thing. You get caught, you get tried, you get sentenced, and you do your time/pay your penalty. Once that's done you rejoin society and attempt to resume your life sans the activity you should have learned is not acceptable.

Vick was also convicted on the state level for dog fighting. He got 3 years suspended sentence and a small fine but granted these paled in comparison to his federal convictions. He pled guilty to the state charges which means they spared the taxpayers the cost of trial and settled. I'm good with that.

As much as I despise him for what he did, everyone deserves a 2nd chance. He should just be on a real short leash (no pun intended).

Do you own a dog?
Why should this matter in the least?

I don't own a pet but it sure wouldn't change my perspective on this. Time served+debt to society paid=free man. Doesn't matter if it was for dog-killing, people-killing, rape, arson, theft, gambling, whateva....

If no GM touches him with a 10 foot pole, it's nobody's fault except Vick's.

The negativity and hatred toward Vick is barely warranted, if at all. Like he could actually get away with another dog fighting ring if he wanted to. He's still got 3 members of PETA spying on him at all times.

Back