Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Rick Smith thread

It is difficult for those used to dealing with a vertical power structure to comprehend a horizontal one, and particularly with a separate staff type structure outside of the primary structure.

But it's quite comfortable to those in a modern corporation.

Wow, you sound very smart. Maybe you'll be able to tell jokes from serious posts soon. Note: the smiley was a clue.

:rolleyes:

You met your goal. :pop:

:foottap:

I usually do
p_bonghit-1.gif

I've stayed out of the Rick Smith talk for quite a while after it was determined that to the best of our knowledge Smith has no specific responsibility or accountability.

I will say this now though - Smith might be better with O'Brien doing his job than he was with Kubiak doing his job.

:fingergun:

Lets hope this is the case.

It is difficult for those used to dealing with a vertical power structure to comprehend a horizontal one, and particularly with a separate staff type structure outside of the primary structure.

But it's quite comfortable to those in a modern corporation.

I believe we understand this.

It's just the failure of this philosophy when it comes to the on the field product that we disagree with. On the other hand, this philosophy has made McNair a lot of $$$$ off of the field. So I guess this philosophy works if $$$$ is your number 1 goal.

[Kareem] Jackson was a good pick. We needed a corner desperately, and he was the best at that spot. While all the 'experts' thought we should have gotten Kyle Wilson, Rick ignored the hype and made the right pick.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
Source: Former Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson will be signing with the Saints #nyj

Texans general manager Rick Smith believes the team is in a promising position by holding the No. 16 overall pick of the 2015 NFL draft, which begins Thursday in Chicago.

“Sixteen is a good spot and it may give us an opportunity to make some moves,” Smith said Tuesday at NRG Stadium, during his annual predraft press conference.

Smith said the wide receiver and running back positions are especially strong this year. The Texans will attempt to address both areas in the seven-round, three-day draft.

Among topics that Smith covered Tuesday:

The GM said the Texans could still draft a quarterback in rounds 1-3, despite already having Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett and Tom Savage on the roster.

Smith acknowledged it’s an “important year” for Savage, a second-year QB who was drafted in the fourth round in 2014.

Smith continues to be “encouraged” by Jadeveon Clowney’s rehab and expects him to be a major contributor to team this year.

Shane Ray’s recent off-field incident is just another piece of draft information for the Texans, since the team already has its mind made up about almost all players at this point.

Asked about a report the Texans are attempting to trade third-year safety D.J. Swearinger, Smith acknowledged there are always trade discussions and “misinformation” going on at this point in the NFL year. However, Smith said that Swearinger found a “niche” last season, is a “really good football player for us” and could play deeper on the field in safety sets this season.

The Texans are still discussing whether they will pick up the contract option for linebacker Whitney Mercilus.
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...l-options-with-no-16-pick-gm-rick-smith-says/

Among topics that Smith covered Tuesday:

The GM said the Texans could still draft a quarterback in rounds 1-3, despite already having Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett and Tom Savage on the roster.

More posturing?
Sorry, silly question. Of course it's posturing.

I'm just surprised to hear it. If there's even a nugget of truth to this - especially since rounds 1-3 were specifically mentioned - it makes me wonder who isn't meeting expectations. I mean, you don't spend a first day pick on a "camp arm".

More posturing?

I'm just surprised to hear it. If there's even a nugget of truth to this - especially since rounds 1-3 were specifically mentioned - it makes me wonder who isn't meeting expectations. I mean, you don't spend a first day pick on a "camp arm".

I think putting it out there is posturing, but if BPA happens to be a QB, then we wouldn't hesitate taking one.

Jason_OTC ‏@Jason_OTC
More teams should follow that model when they believe the player warrants that kind of salary

Texans got a great deal with Watt by signing early. Much flexibility if things ever go bad and quite frankly a discounted rate #Texans

So Justin Houston positioned himself similar to Watt with the 34DEs and Williams with the 43DEs. Thats impressive.​

More posturing?

Are you sure? Cuz I could see this organization doing that.

Dear Bob McNair,

If you care about this team, and city, you will fire Rick Smith tonight. Do not wait for the end of the season or even for the sun to rise in the morning, do it tonight.

Everyone in this thread would complain if our HC wasn't allowed to pick his groceries.

I think it's pretty clear that Rick Smith allows the HC to pick his groceries. Like I said in another thread, unless we're uncovering serious flaws in our selections that we "should" have known before we acquired the player, firing Rick won't solve the problem.

Unless you're suggesting we move on to a more traditional GM... one who the coach works for, one who takes McNairs vision of what this team should be & is solely responsible to materialize that vision.

Personally I think Rick is doing the job he's being asked to do. What we need is someone between the McNairs & Rick/O'Brien.

“Trust Me, I know what I’m Doing,” He Said. “We Need a New Coach,” He Said.

Texans-Digital-OFC-750x350.jpg

When Peyton Manning was released by the Colts, one of the few teams he desired to play on was the Houston Texans. We don’t know what transpired on private phone calls or in meetings, but for whatever reason, the Texans GM, Rick Smith, didn’t pull the trigger on the deal.

Of course, there was uncertainty about Peyton’s health coming off of a year involving four neck surgeries — but that is where due diligence factors in. Instead, Peyton goes on to the Denver Broncos where he’s taken the team to the Super Bowl once and they’ve been Super Bowl contenders ever since. Yes, with neck surgeries, a weakened arm, advanced age and all. The Texans have sniffed the playoffs twice during that time.

After all, why take a chance on a future Hall of Fame quarterback when you’ve got Case Keenum? Or T.J. Yates, right? Of course, Matt Schaub was still playing well when this was all relevant, but really? Pass on Peyton Manning?

Okay, my personal bias is starting to show. So, after that brilliant move, Slick Rick decides that it’s time to part ways with the coaching staff. Head Coach Gary Kubiak and his minions just aren’t NFL material, apparently. Time to bring in a tried-and-true COLLEGE head coach … yeah, that’ll get it done. Hey, dude’s “a quarterback genius”, they said. “He’s worked with Tom Brady,” they said. “Trust me, I know what I’m doing,” Rick said.

That scrub of a head coach is now undefeated at 4-0. With that washed-up quarterback that we passed on — oh, and with that minion defensive coordinator, that son of a Bum Wade Phillips — along with our Pro Bowl tight end, Owen Daniels. The Texans brain-trust surely knows what they’re doing.

Everything that could have been the past four years in Houston are realities in Denver, Colorado. John Elway called to say “thank you, Houston!”

http://houstonpulsemagazine.com/trust-me-i-know-what-im-doing-he-said-we-need-a-new-coach-he-said/

Screw we didn't get him. Spilt milk. I still want to know why he wanted to work with Kubiak. On paper it makes no sense. But clearly he does.

Screw we didn't get him. Spilt milk. I still want to know why he wanted to work with Kubiak. On paper it makes no sense. But clearly he does.

Maybe he respects Kubiak's offensive mind. Probably not a lot of people who can speak offense on Peyton's level

Steve Young and John Elway. Manning is getting to the end of his career and knows that finishing with another ring is going to require help. Few others have a history of taking quarterbacks to a higher level than Kubiak, and an improved run game is necessary to have a better chance at winning in the playoffs. Manning would've looked a lot better here as a Texan as part of an established system. Denver is going through a transition with an offensive line shift and his arm is finally giving out, he might not be whole enough for Kubiak to give him that last chance - but at 5-0 anything's possible.

Denver isn't winning a SB.

I believe they're 1 and done just like last yr. Peyton's arm will be even weaker later in the yr.

Aint happening regardless of how bad some around here want it to happen.

AS far as Rick Smith goes, y'all know my thoughts,

Backstabbing loser who best quailty is knowing whose a** to kiss and being a dedicated yes man. But hey, the McNair's coin is good.

I believe they're 1 and done just like last yr. Peyton's arm will be even weaker later in the yr.

Karma will not allow Peyton Manning another super bowl victory. It's over. He needs to retire in Colorado and sell weed.

By December Peyton's going to have to drop-kick his passes. I've loved watching him even as a rival, but that arm is gone - his effort is a Nolan Ryan fastball, but the result is more Eephus.

It's 6:20 pm Oct 25th and Smith is still employed

(but hey, didn't your evening brighten just a little before you clicked on the thread, thinking "maybe.....")

Fire him. Now.
This was started in Dec 2013 Almost 2 years later here we stand. . Two more years of poor draft choices, two more years of bad personnel decisions, two more years of the organization going the wrong direction. I said 3 years to make a difference if changes made but that was two years ago. We have gotten worse in all areas especially in talent and depth. Our chance to start the turn around was when we had 1.1 in draft and first pick in all rounds. Anybody want to review picks we made? I still say not trading 1.1 was the wrong move. We needed help in mulitiple areas. Here Texans fans sit with no hope because no change has been made and even if we get the 1.1 again and more importantly the first pick in every round I have no hope that they know what to do.
McNair open your ears the fans are right on this one.

This was started in Dec 2013 Almost 2 years later here we stand. . Two more years of poor draft choices, two more years of bad personnel decisions, two more years of the organization going the wrong direction. I said 3 years to make a difference if changes made but that was two years ago. We have gotten worse in all areas especially in talent and depth. Our chance to start the turn around was when we had 1.1 in draft and first pick in all rounds. Anybody want to review picks we made? I still say not trading 1.1 was the wrong move. We needed help in mulitiple areas. Here Texans fans sit with no hope because no change has been made and even if we get the 1.1 again and more importantly the first pick in every round I have no hope that they know what to do.
McNair open your ears the fans are right on this one.

1.1 Jadeveon Clowney - Incomplete. Basically his rookie year now but hardly seems like a 1.1 guy at this point but too early to close the book. This pick really didn't take a lot of thought for Smith so even if Clowney pans out I wouldn't make it some amazing job on his/BoB's part. Should have traded for more picks like you stated.

2 Xavier Su'a-Filo - He's on the bench. Enough said. We'll ignore that Derek Carr was avoided and is developing into a pretty good young quarterback.

3 C.J. Fiedorowicz - A big TE who can't catch and barely block efficiently which was supposed to be his specialty. Is a backup.

3 Louis Nix - Not on the team.

4 Tom Savage - INC but so far nothing but a 3rd stringer. Have little faith if he couldn't beat out the two rest stops we have but remains to be seen

6 Jeoffrey Paggan - a decent backup and I may be stretching it but at least fits the 3-4
6 Alfred Blue - It took all the way to freaking round 6 for a solid draft pick. Kudos! :bravo:

6 Jay Prosch - Decent FB. We know how to deliver in round six where a ton of superstars are found!

7 Andre Hal - Decent DB especially for late selection. Apparently this is where are scouting is best since we suck the whole draft until getting to the bottom of the barrel

7 Lonnie Ballentine - Backup DB and special teamer. Not bad for a 7th rounder but you won't go telling your grandkids about the day you watched him play.

So if we can have a draft of just rounds 6 and 7 we can go to the Superbowl! :kubepalm:

Last edited:
1.1 Jadeveon Clowney - Incomplete. Basically his rookie year now but hardly seems like a 1.1 guy at this point but too early to close the book. This pick really didn't take a lot of thought for Smith so even if Clowney pans out I wouldn't make it some amazing job on his/BoB's part. Should have traded for more picks like you stated.

2 Xavier Su'a-Filo - He's on the bench. Enough said. We'll ignore that Derek Carr was avoided and is developing into a pretty good young quarterback.

3 C.J. Fiedorowicz - A big TE who can't catch and barely block efficiently which was supposed to be his specialty. Is a backup.

3 Louis Nix - Not on the team.

4 Tom Savage - INC but so far nothing but a 3rd stringer. Have little faith if he couldn't beat out the two rest stops we have but remains to be seen

6 Jeoffrey Paggan - a decent backup and I may be stretching it but at least fits the 3-4
6 Alfred Blue - It took all the way to freaking round 6 for a solid draft pick. Kudos! :bravo:

6 Jay Prosch - Decent FB. We know how to deliver in round six where a ton of superstars are found!

7 Andre Hal - Decent DB especially for late selection. Apparently this is where are scouting is best since we suck the whole draft until getting to the bottom of the barrel

7 Lonnie Ballentine - Backup DB and special teamer. Not bad for a 7th rounder but you wrote go telling your grandkids about the day you watched him play.

So if we can have a draft of just rounds 6 and 7 we can go to the Superbowl! :kubepalm:

Wow forgot just how bad it was. 1.1 was complete for me when we kept the choice. We should never have made 1.1 unless there was a franchise QB available. We needed so much more than one player. Bad decision to even keep pick is my contention.

Thanks for work done on last years draft. I didn't realize is was THAT bad. I thought the year before draft class was worse but maybe not.
Anyway you can't stay competitive when you draft that poorly.

Today's press conference ought to be a lesson for many. O'Brien referenced a few times conversations with McNair (Texans GM), that should tell you all you need to know. O'Brien did say he and Smith were discussing options for Mallett, as in, O'Brien: Hey Rick before I make a decision and I cut him now, is there any viable backup(s) out there to replace Mallett?

Bob McNair is 78, don't expect him change how he does business now. At 78 he probably thinks he's to old to start all over again. Bob is comfortable and has confidence in Rick Smith carrying out and doing what McNair needs and wants him to do. Odds are in favor that Smith is not going anywhere.

Bob has it under control .

Wizard-of-Oz-Caps-the-wizard-of-oz-2028565-720-536.jpg

McNairs will be the owners. No way to change that.

The one we need to get rid of is Rick Smith. He is is big time hiding mode waiting for everything to blow over. Send Bill out to be the voice when really he is the one that should be answering questions. I am sure he has the ears of the McNairs.

Stay focused. Until he is gone no improvement in sight. 36-7 New England over Miami. Texans are terrible but it is not all coaching.
This team does not have above average talent. Not all on O'Brien.

Not saying O'Brien should stay. I think better chance to be college coach but really he has done nothing as a head coach anywhere.

I don't think Bob McNair is happy with the results. This isn't about money for him, it's about winning.

I think his problem is being too loyal to a guy like Rick Smith. At this point, firing him has to be on the table. Even if he is family.

Kinda hard to pin our issues on Rick when most people say our problems can be fixed with a young/better QB.

Especially considering our failure at the position the last two years have been hand picked by the guy baking the biscuits.

That & we were severely out coached again.

rick will be fired soon hes lost most of his power anyways I think Bill has all the POwer now it seems

Kinda hard to pin our issues on Rick when most people say our problems can be fixed with a young/better QB.

Especially considering our failure at the position the last two years have been hand picked by the guy baking the biscuits.

Smith, O'Brien, whoever it is that thinks we can get by with Fitzpatrick, Hoyer needs to go.

And no one, or at least I, am not saying our problems are solved with a young/better QB. Someday I'd actually like to see what that's like though.

I don't think it's fair to call Fitz a failure considering our circumstances when OB walked in. Fitz should have been holding down the spot while teaching a worthy young replacement. He's the perfect guy for that kind of situation. He keeps us good enough to at least compete so the team around the QB doesn't crumble but he's also a good enough teammate to train the young buck who he knows is coming for his job.

The two real failures are:

1) Swapping Fitz for Hoyer. There is no way to look at it that makes sense.

2) Bringing in Mallett and Savage as the young replacements. One proved in short time that he was clearly not worthy, and the other isn't even allowed to join the preseason position battle. Hard to think that anyone thinks he is worthy either.

Rick isn't totally innocent in the current QB debacle, but it clearly falls big time on OB. But the consistent lack of talent and depth at numerous other positions should be enough to send Rick on his way.

If it weren't for JJ Watt being all universe.i feel Rick would have been gone a few years ago

We're on pace to be 8-8 with Brian Hoyer as our QB. He's done more than just Jj Watt. Unless you are extremely high on Bill O'Brien as a HC (which I'd have issue with).

Back