Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

RS will not be fired... ever. He's family. He will be promoted eventually but don't expect it to happen soon

You forget this is the the town that backed the Oilers strongly for 35 years and would still if they had a choice about it. Most fans are happy we have a team and sellouts will continue. Business is a booming success if you take the emotions out of it. It's good for the fans, the city and especially the Owners

I wouldn't mind if Houston marked the blemish of failed NFL franchises off their ledger. Erase the history. The Oilers belong to Tennessee now. Can't we pretend the Texans never happened? The burb remaining from the indigestion of the Texans would be Rick Smith. Appropriately.

I wouldn't mind if Houston marked the blemish of failed NFL franchises off their ledger. Erase the history. The Oilers belong to Tennessee now. Can't we pretend the Texans never happened? The burb remaining from the indigestion of the Texans would be Rick Smith. Appropriately.

Sorry, I don't understand your post... I'm not drunk yet

RS will not be fired... ever. He's family. He will be promoted eventually but don't expect it to happen soon

You forget this is the the town that backed the Oilers strongly for 35 years and would still if they had a choice about it. Most fans are happy we have a team and sellouts will continue. Business is a booming success if you take the emotions out of it. It's good for the fans, the city and especially the Owners

JB, that might've been acceptable when every professional team in Houston hadn't won anything. The Houston Aeros got it started in the WHL, then the Rockets delivered back to back titles in the NBA, the Comets took the WNBA by storm and 4 WNBA titles, and then the death blow...Jim Crane buys the Astros and decides to surround himself with a great personnel group 6 years ago..."6 YEARS AGO" and delivered a WS to the City of Houston, not to mention has set the franchise up to be the talk of MLB for several years to come.

McNair has had 15 years and just as many chances with the (3) first round pick(s) in the draft to have been better than what the Texans put on the field year in and year out. Does McNair and RS (I wont include O'Brien since he may not be here in 2018) really want the fans of the Texans to think that they're just a few picks away (RD3-RD7) in 2018 from getting this team into the 2018 Super Bowl discussions?

Yes, I'm extremely happy to have the Texans in Houston but that, in no way buys my loyalty to a team that has under delivered for 15 years with no immediate answers for possibly another season or two....maybe longer. Does anyone here want to wait 56 years for a SB victory or would it much more exciting to see on eon the horizon in 5-7 years. The teams stars are out of balance and won't align due to age or injury differences on the current roster. There are a lot of holes and depth issues to resolve over the next couple of seasons.

JB, that might've been acceptable when every professional team in Houston hadn't won anything. The Houston Aeros got it started in the WHL, then the Rockets delivered back to back titles in the NBA, the Comets took the WNBA by storm and 4 WNBA titles, and then the death blow...Jim Crane buys the Astros and decides to surround himself with a great personnel group 6 years ago..."6 YEARS AGO" and delivered a WS to the City of Houston, not to mention has set the franchise up to be the talk of MLB for several years to come.

2 MLS Championships for the Dynamo.

How is he qualified to run a billion $$$$ business?

You seem to have a handle of what qualifications are needed to run a billion $$$$ NFL franchise. As GM for the Ravens, Ozzie Newsome has built rosters to win two Super Bowls and is considered one of the best GMs in the NFL. Is he qualified to run your billion $$$$ business with his Recreational Administration degree?

I was not referring to RS, I want BoB to go away. For me the last 2 years, RS has been doing some good work. Made stuff happen.

You seem to have a handle of what qualifications are needed to run a billion $$$$ NFL franchise. As GM for the Ravens, Ozzie Newsome has built rosters to win two Super Bowls and is considered one of the best GMs in the NFL. Is he qualified to run your billion $$$$ business with his Recreational Administration degree?

Tell you what,

Why don't we just hope to let Ritchie Kotite run this org. That's about what we have running the org now after 12 yrs of on the job training.

Ever just have that feeling that you are utterly powerless to influence or affect any change at all in something? That's us and the Houston Texans today. They won't change and we're not really qualified to tell them what to do so even if they did change and changed how we want them to we'd probably get it wrong.

Texans football seasons just happen. We can watch them or not. Care about them or not. That's on us. The Bandwagon fan may not get much respect or be the best fan out there but he is a hell of a lot smarter than most of us are. That's for damn sure.

I was not referring to RS, I want BoB to go away. For me the last 2 years, RS has been doing some good work. Made stuff happen.

Other than the Browns monumental screw up letting Watson fall into the godfathers lap just what has he done right in the last two years?

Made stuff happen? Brings to mind the saying "chit happens".

:coffee:

McNair has had 15 years and just as many chances with the (3) first round pick(s) in the draft to have been better than what the Texans put on the field year in and year out. Does McNair and RS (I wont include O'Brien since he may not be here in 2018) really want the fans of the Texans to think that they're just a few picks away (RD3-RD7) in 2018 from getting this team into the 2018 Super Bowl discussions?

Yes, I'm extremely happy to have the Texans in Houston but that, in no way buys my loyalty to a team that has under delivered for 15 years with no immediate answers for possibly another season or two....maybe longer. Does anyone here want to wait 56 years for a SB victory or would it much more exciting to see on eon the horizon in 5-7 years. The teams stars are out of balance and won't align due to age or injury differences on the current roster. There are a lot of holes and depth issues to resolve over the next couple of seasons.

Acceptable? WTH does acceptable to you or me have to do with what's acceptable to the masses? 15 straight years of sellouts Brian. That ain't gonna change in the next 10 years

No one wants to wait 56 years for a championship, hell I don't have 56 years left. But that ain't gonna change anything on Kirby no matter how much we want changes. Be realistic

In the post I quoted, the conversation was clearly about RS... and you clearly stated you were ok with OB sticking around in some position

So we should fire the HC because all of his good players are injured and he's not doing anything with replacements? This thread is something. Bring him back as the QB coach? I'm done here.

There will be a time and day that we part ways with O'Brien; it's not today and it wasn't last season (if that much isn't obvious).

The moment Rick drafted Deshaun his job was saved, I don't expect him to be fired at all nor think he is the worse GM ever in the world like some people make him out to be.
You bet it was because if you make the moves of a genius you are rewarded by you boss for being one - End of Story.

The moment Rick drafted Deshaun his job was saved, I don't expect him to be fired at all nor think he is the worse GM ever in the world like some people make him out to be.

He's not the worst GM ever. He's actually maybe about middle of the pack and possibly even bottom of the upper half IMO. To be fair all NFL GM's with a handful of exceptions kind of look the same to me. Part of their job (most of them) is to tell the owner what he wants to hear and then when things go wrong find a way to blame someone else in order to ensure their own survival. I mean really, who following those kinds of imperatives is ever going to look good to the general public? When you have a really, really good GM and he works well with your head coach (or a really, really bad one who does the opposite) then that's obvious and amazing but almost all NFL fans are trying to read tea leaves to see how their team's GM is doing. The draft makes for a lousy measure because everybody is drafting like **** all the time in this league but we all like to use it. Sometimes you have a draft like we did in 2006 but most often not. Every time I get really ticked about how many Texans picks don't work out I just look at the Patriots and see that as good as they are they just don't draft all that much better than we do.

Rick hits on about 4 picks a year (give or take) and that's not exactly the worst out there. Already in 2017 we got Watson and Watkins playing big roles and Foreman/Cunningham in training and flashing. If Davenport becomes anything the 2017 draft will be above average for Rick. TexansSeminole was pointing that out to me the other day and I wasn't buying it but I guess if things continue the way they're going and none of those guys disappears he was right.

Tell us how that psychology degree help Jimmy Johnson in Miami? How many Super Bowls did he win? Tell us how it helped him to that sparkling 36-28 record with the Dolphins.

Tell us how a psychology degree is going to improve a old, worn out Dan Marino that Johnson was forced to start in Miami.

I think the time has finally arrived for McNair, RS and O'Brien to come out and take a bow for the masterpiece they've created here in Houston. For those fans who wish to give them hand for their accomplishments....so be it. I'm looking at this mess with absolute clarity and ask myself, how many more years is the end product supposed to acceptable to McNair and the fans of Houston.

In the 15 years McNair has enjoyed owning this franchise, he actually had 1 season where the team looked like it could make serious noise in the playoffs and a single player injured derailed those hopes. This year had the makings of an unexpected if not an exciting season, not necessarily in the win and loss column but in the roll out of Deshaun Watson and the team finally discovering it had an offense....again, enter the single player injury and the entire train derailed.

This team has lacked adequate depth for more seasons than the years they were able to successfully coin the phrase of "next man up" b/c they actually had the talent to make it work. This has a lot to do with drafts that have produced less than half of their picks actually contributing to the team beyond 1-3 seasons not to mention, depth and ST's have suffered for more years than it's actually worth counting.

This group has had the time, draft picks and resources to be much further ahead than this....this my friends is unacceptable.

If you view the Texans as a marketing company with a football division, you would see that this is a very successful franchise. They sellout seasons regardless of record. That's like McDonalds selling a bazillion cheeseburgers even though they sell edible crap. It's all in the presentation.

Ozzie Newsome was a HoF football player, so I would think his actual football experience far outweighs Rick Smith's executive experience.

In the post I quoted, the conversation was clearly about RS... and you clearly stated you were ok with OB sticking around in some position

I don't think it's clearly about RS. I was referring to BoB. That was my first post. I saw the title , so I was referring to BoB, not referring to any other post.

Yes, I'm ok with BoB getting demoted. offense play caller will be ok.

Team decision making needs to improve immensely. OBrien or someone else.

Ozzie living on past performance. Not too successful lately.

I'm indifferent to O'Brien. Watson will make any coach shine. What I do know is that O'Brien cost this team at least two victories with his decision making and DUN DUN DUNNNN "clock management" this year after his 4th season as coach. Pretty much inexcusable. His pity parties after losses are nauseating. Chest pounder, practice hero type, but game day makes him shrink.

Whatever, ask Deshaun who he wants .. Dabo? I'm game.

I'm indifferent to O'Brien. Watson will make any coach shine. What I do know is that O'Brien cost this team at least two victories with his decision making and DUN DUN DUNNNN "clock management" this year after his 4th season as coach. Pretty much inexcusable. His pity parties after losses are nauseating. Chest pounder, practice hero type, but game day makes him shrink.

Whatever, ask Deshaun who he wants .. Dabo? I'm game.

It would be real interesting to see, but Dabo makes more than OB. He has a good thing going at Clemson in more ways than one. Might be hard to have him come.

Also, sometimes players don't choose the best coaches. I think Eli chose McAdoo, and Lebron chose Tyronn Lue.

I would still like seeing what Dabo would do in the NFL however!

While we're here strumming our guitars and gleefully singing "Kum Ba Ya" in the land of "Unicorns and Rainbows"...stuffing our faces with "McDooky Sandwiches" from "McNairs" and making small talk about how swell it is that the Texans are enjoying sell out after sell out, that deep down RS is a really successful GM, and by the way, the team sure looks fancy in those uniforms, I mosey off to relax and do a little reading.

Now as lay back against the Leprechaun's pot of gold, basking in the sunlight at the base of the rainbow, I'm perusing espn.com and stumble across a story about the Eagles "Warp Speed" rebuild and as I got a little deeper....suddenly I began heaving and violently regurgitating the McDooky Sandwiches I'd been ingesting from McNairs and realized that I was being pulled into a land of acceptance and complacency....you know, where dooky tastes like steak!!! I jumped up and headed for reality and as dark as it may appear, it was worth the walk to get there.

Sure, 99.9% us will never own an NFL Franchise or even be considered for an upper level management job within an NFL organization but teams or fans establish forums or sip coffee around a table at McDonalds to openly discuss what they're happy about and what they're not happy about in regards to Texans football. I'm a solutionist and wether it's within my control or completely out of my control, I'm wired to either handle or discuss solutions. I don't enjoy waiting for someone else to find a solution. So, on this forum I'm relegated to the discussion of solutions.

Last edited:
OB's offense has been terrible since he arrived here. He's trotted about 37 different QBs out onto the field to watch them fail mightily in his "game-planning" offense. We draft a QB that can do it all on the field. We finally see an offense that can easy keep up with the best in the league.

My question is: Is it the coach who came up with a scheme for the QB that made the offense (which isn't OB's true playbook offense) work? Or, was it Watson who made everything click?

I'm going with the latter. Watson is the only guy that has made OB's "offense" look competitive.

It would be real interesting to see, but Dabo makes more than OB. He has a good thing going at Clemson in more ways than one. Might be hard to have him come.

Also, sometimes players don't choose the best coaches. I think Eli chose McAdoo, and Lebron chose Tyronn Lue.

I would still like seeing what Dabo would do in the NFL however!

I thought about Dabo the other day so I looked at his brand spanking new contract he signed in August with Clemson - 8 years, 54 million.

I thought about Dabo the other day so I looked at his brand spanking new contract he signed in August with Clemson - 8 years, 54 million.

I dont follow college football but i have read that Dabo isnt going to the NFL. He is waiting on Saban to retire at Alabama and is supposedly a lock to go succeed him there?

I dont follow college football but i have read that Dabo isnt going to the NFL. He is waiting on Saban to retire at Alabama and is supposedly a lock to go succeed him there?
I'm a college/Bama fan. He once made the statement "When mama calls you come runnin...(paraphrasing)" not hard to derive what he meant from that statement seeing as how he played at Bama before.

As far as how likely it is, if he continues to have the massive success he has at Clemson until the Dark Lord retires I highly doubt he comes to Bama unless the university takes out a loan to pay him.

I know if it were me, I would want to stay at the dynasty that I created with my own two hands rather than follow arguably the best coach in football and have every move you make put under a microscope and compared to Saban.

All that being said, I haven't seen one Bama fan name a better successor and for the most part all are in agreement that Dabo is the best prospect.

Last edited:
OB's offense has been terrible since he arrived here. He's trotted about 37 different QBs out onto the field to watch them fail mightily in his "game-planning" offense. We draft a QB that can do it all on the field. We finally see an offense that can easy keep up with the best in the league.

My question is: Is it the coach who came up with a scheme for the QB that made the offense (which isn't OB's true playbook offense) work? Or, was it Watson who made everything click?

I'm going with the latter. Watson is the only guy that has made OB's "offense" look competitive.

Yep, I agree. Watson is the kind of player that will make just about any scheme look good if he's allowed to improvise. He can't do it alone, though, and needs a team around him if they really want to achieve greatness. I'm just not convinced that this FO and HC are the men to build that team.

Yep, I agree. Watson is the kind of player that will make just about any scheme look good if he's allowed to improvise. He can't do it alone, though, and needs a team around him if they really want to achieve greatness. I'm just not convinced that this FO and HC are the men to build that team.

After 12 yrs of evidence.

I wish I could like this 1,000 times.

until crunch time came against the Patriots and the Seahawks. Watson put him in position to win and he choked.

Which is why I want BOB fired along with Ricky.

After you become a HC in the NFL isn't the time to realize you have no balls.

@ColeThornton I assume that @infantrycak closed that thread you started because it became a silly argument about how original or unoriginal your OP was. Furthermore, that thread did generate some interesting discussion, but it was not that topically different this thread. If you actually want to get a sense for folk's negative opinions on OB, you can look over this fire-OB thread here. This O'Brien's Negangled Offense thread gives a more positive OB review, with some negative dissenters. Recent posts in the all encompassing Rick Smith thread might also be topical. If you want to get a sense of how much these things have been talked about outside of your 3-4 thread, you can start with this stuff. I don't think it is on @JB or anyone else to get you caught up.

Perhaps you actually want to constructively debate if OB should be fired or not. This post of mine is my best attempt at making an argument for the "keep OB" position. From what I understand, arguing for OB's firing and explaining why those three arguments of mine are wrong is still within the scope of this thread.

GO CASE!

Case still will not return Coach BO's phone calls. Case is too busy getting ready for the Super Bowl.

Coach BO played a bad DE for Brown U ( The home of the most liberal ivy league U - a bunch of liberal weenies that love to get on their knees any chance they get.

OB should be fired and Rick the dick too. The poor Texan players deserve better than a bunch of kneelers!

Back