Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

Texans ST - with the exception of the punter and kicker - has sucked before Izzo. Joe Marciano was getting blamed, but he seems to be a better ST coach in Detroit. The truth is the FO (i.e. GM & HC) need to add the right depth for ST to flourish. No ST coach can make chicken salad out of chicken poop. That poop comes from FO decisions.
I looked it up and I had no idea he has only been here for a year. I felt like he has been here for like 4 already. Thanks for the correction

Savage appears to be a practice warrior. He does everything the coaches tell him in controlled situations and probably looks good doing it. But, when the heat is on and he's pressured in real time game situations, he folds.

Watson is probably the opposite, where his improvisational skills are not welcomed in practice and gets yelled at for not following the script. But, in games, when it matters, he does his thing and it's tough for a coach to yell too much when the results are dynamic and lots of touchdowns.

His offense sucks. We have noted, year after year, that it continues to regress. And the simple fact that O'Brien has held on to Savage for four seasons, let him get all the reps to be a starter in the offseason, and what we see is supposed to represent O'Brien?

No thanks.

Like we've chatted before, Watson will make just about anyone's offense look good if catered to his skillset. I can only imagine what he'd look like in Kubiak's offensive scheme with the right pieces around him.

After 16 seasons, we are still unsure how to read Uncle Bob and how he's going to handle this head coach situation. It's a critical time for Watson's development, and there is some rebuilding to do. I can see it going either way, tbh.

Texans ST - with the exception of the punter and kicker - has sucked before Izzo. Joe Marciano was getting blamed, but he seems to be a better ST coach in Detroit. The truth is the FO (i.e. GM & HC) need to add the right depth for ST to flourish. No ST coach can make chicken salad out of chicken poop. That poop comes from FO decisions.

The same also can be said about OL coaches.

Although I feel it would be a mistake I can see the godfather winning out and Obrien moving on.

McNair is just that ignorant about running a football franchise. Perpetual mediocrity.

:coffee:

Let's not forget Izzo. How he still has a job on an NFL team is beyond me. I recognize ST needs depth to be effective but as long as he has been here we have sucked. If we get some consistent returns, a kick/punt block or two and less penalties then we would be in better shape.

And where does that depth come from? How many ST coaches have we been through now with no improvement in Teams? What has remained the same in that time?

Bill is not perfect but he's done a good job at playing a bad hand . I think that once Vrable got some stick time , had the injuries not happened the Texans would be a threat in the AFC . When they did happen it revealed some warts in the secondary and the OL . The OL is inexcusable and with the Brock O fiasco , should get someone fired .

Bill's one of the main reasons he's had that bad hand. I mean, somebody's kept Savage around here for 4 years.

Bill isn't going anywhere and I think it's justifiable. The offense with him and Deshaun was something I had never seen before.

The pool of head coaches is full of trash bags. No thank you.

1 out of 10.

One out of ten.

That's not a good track record.

Justification: FIRED

And where does that depth come from? How many ST coaches have we been through now with no improvement in Teams? What has remained the same in that time?

Bill's one of the main reasons he's had that bad hand. I mean, somebody's kept Savage around here for 4 years.

So one player who has played very little is evidence of failure ? I believe he knows the Xs and Os , he needs some Jimmy's and Joe's .

Reactions: JB
You know, there was another rumor circulating that O'Brien actually wanted to start Watson and RS decided it would be better to start Savage...and who knows, maybe that came straight from McNair's mouth. Again, this is really mox-nix since O'Brien yanked Savage at halftime of the first game and didn't think twice about giving him any first team reps until Watson got injured. That move, in my estimation, was an in-your-face move against RS. This soap opera is going to get interesting down the stretch...especially if RS has plans of getting O'Brien ousted. Hopefully, someone rifles some smelling-salts up Mcnair's nostrils in due time so he can be coherent enough to realize RS is just as much at fault for the mess this organization finds itself in.
Any kind of a link for this rumor?

So one player who has played very little is evidence of failure ? I believe he knows the Xs and Os , he needs some Jimmy's and Joe's .
That's the confounding thing to me about OB. Where was this offense we saw with Watson before Watson? The same concepts he was using with Watson can be run by less mobile QBs.

That's the confounding thing to me about OB. Where was this offense we saw with Watson before Watson? The same concepts he was using with Watson can be run by less mobile QBs.
What's 1 out of 10?
1 out of 10 QBs is how I took it.

Keenum could have run a fair bit of that offense and it might have given him a better comfort level while he learned the more advanced pieces of an NFL offense. Yates might have been able to run a fair bit of it as well. Neither of them are Watson, but they aren't statuesque in the pocket, either.

Ten quarterbacks

Ah, thanks. Well, how are we going to know how much of that is on RS and how much of that is on OB? You're kidding yourself if you think we would have ever drafted Derek Carr. There's just no way that was going to happen. Off the top of my head, that's the only QB that sticks out that we could have had but missed out on. The Patriots jumped in front of us and took Jimmy G. Bridgewater wasn't worth the first pick and I was a huge Teddy fan before the draft.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but what would you have liked to have happened?

And personally, I'm completely fine that we went through QB hell if it meant we got Watson.

Last edited:

I think you might be underestimating how much of a natural Watson is. No one expected him to be this good. He IS the offense.

Dabo was right when he said he's the Michael Jordan of football.

O'Brien is getting a lot of credit for the improvisational plays Watson made trying to escape trouble from that pathetic o-line.

I don't buy it.

There was one scene when they were mic'd up, and Watson made some fantastic play after it broke down. O'Brien was telling him how it should have gone but could not say much because Watson made it a positive play for a TD.

I do give O'Brien some credit for working with Watson to learn the plays Watson ran in college and adapting to them, but that is not the EP scheme O'Brien ultimately wants to run.

No, 3 years of an offense that got worse every single season he's been here is evidence of failure. And now that that one player is out, that offense is just as pathetic as it was before that one player.

And again, he's partly responsible for the Jimmy's and Joe's he has.

O'Brien is getting a lot of credit for the improvisational plays Watson made trying to escape trouble from that pathetic o-line.

I don't buy it.

There was one scene when they were mic'd up, and Watson made some fantastic play after it broke down. O'Brien was telling him how it should have gone but could not say much because Watson made it a positive play for a TD.

I do give O'Brien some credit for working with Watson to learn the plays Watson ran in college and adapting to them, but that is not the EP scheme O'Brien ultimately wants to run.

Exactamundo! OB didn't just get it all of a sudden because the offense scored with DW4. That dude was a freak of nature getting out of some of the trouble he was in behind this o-line, allowing him to not only extend the play, but because he's that good, MAKE the play.

As far as I could tell, OB was still calling plenty of Miller up the gut on 3rd and short, so none of that changed. The only thing that changed was DW4.

Get this guy in a real offense and we could have something really special for the next decade or so. Keep him in this crap that OB runs where he's good enough to make everyone look better, and you're limiting his ceiling-less potential.

I don't buy it.

I think it's the one he threw the touchdown to Hopkins and OB was saying how it was supposed to be another way. Watson had the look like he did something wrong after OB told him that. lol

Ah, thanks. Well, how are we going to know how much of that is on RS and how much of that is on OB? You're kidding yourself if you think we would have ever drafted Derek Carr. There's just no way that was going to happen. Off the top of my head, that's the only QB that sticks out that we could have had but missed out on. The Patriots jumped in front of us and took Jimmy G. Bridgewater wasn't worth the first pick and I was a huge Teddy fan before the draft.

I haven't been keeping up with this thread but what would you have liked to have happened?

And personally, I'm completely fine that we went through QB hell if it meant we got Watson.

Traded the number 1 pick ( even though Clowney is a beast) for extra picks that year and the following. They could've got a QB in the 2015 draft.

But oh well we are back to square one. This time we don't even have a 1st and 2nd round pick next year.

Exactamundo! OB didn't just get it all of a sudden because the offense scored with DW4. That dude was a freak of nature getting out of some of the trouble he was in behind this o-line, allowing him to not only extend the play, but because he's that good, MAKE the play.

As far as I could tell, OB was still calling plenty of Miller up the gut on 3rd and short, so none of that changed. The only thing that changed was DW4.

Get this guy in a real offense and we could have something really special for the next decade or so. Keep him in this crap that OB runs where he's good enough to make everyone look better, and you're limiting his ceiling-less potential.

Yeah, I agree. We've seen O'Brien's scheme with 9 different QBs, and it has regressed every year with the sole exception of the one QB who has instincts and athletic ability to make plays outside of the scheme.

I think it's the one he threw the touchdown to Hopkins and OB was saying how it was supposed to be another way. Watson had the look like he did something wrong after OB told him that. lol

Yep, I figured some of y'all saw that segment, as well. And that's the one. That one scene revealed a lot of things to me, but the takeaway is Watson is a badass with lots of potential and O'Brien is just in his way.

You guys must be seeing something I'm not. Fitzpatrick had some of his best stuff here until he broke his ankle. Bill made Brian-fkn-Hoyer be serviceable until Hoyer pulled off one of the worst QB displays ever against the Chiefs. I blame Rick Smith for Osweiller so I don't see how you put that shitty offense on Bill. Sure, he has his moments of going conservative but who would you realistically want?

I was very critical of Kubiak and rightfully so. I haven't felt the same way about Bill because it's Rick Smith that can't draft past the first two rounds. He's gotten a few late gems but every GM should. We flat-out have shitty drafts and it's caught up to us. Bill is working with two idiots in Rick and Bob. If we ever get to the SB it's because of O'Brien/Watson.

You guys must be seeing something I'm not. Fitzpatrick had some of his best stuff here until he broke his ankle. Bill made Brian-fkn-Hoyer be serviceable until Hoyer pulled off one of the worst QB displays ever against the Chiefs. I blame Rick Smith for Osweiller so I don't see how you put that shitty offense on Bill. Sure, he has his moments of going conservative but who would you realistically want?

I was very critical of Kubiak and rightfully so. I haven't felt the same way about Bill because it's Rick Smith that can't draft past the first two rounds. He's gotten a few late gems but every GM should. We flat-out have shitty drafts and it's caught up to us. Bill is working with two idiots in Rick and Bob. If we ever get to the SB it's because of O'Brien/Watson.

I loved what O'Brien did with Watson. I thought he got the best out of Fitzy and Hoyer. My issue isn't with what O'Brien has done with the QB's. It's just he keeps making the same in-game mistakes. In addition, the entire team seems flat at times, important times at the beginning of important or meaningful. He really botched that KC playoff game. I still have a problem with him lining up Wilfork and Watt at the goal line. Watt wasn't 100% going into that game. Why sacrifice him on that stupid gadget play?

My thoughts are, if Smith gets to stay so should O'Brien. If O'Brien is fired then so should Smith. But I don't think Bob will ever fire Smith; unless Smith is the catalyst in bringing in his very own personal HC and that guy falls flat on his face, 0-16 or close to it.

Sad part of me is that I think the Godfather won' get fired. Not as long as the Texans still have the great game day experience.

Watson made O'Brien look good, not the other way around. There is no more simple way it can be stated. There should be ZERO fear about a new head coach struggling with Watson, because Watson has already shown what he can do with no offensive line and a clueless head coach. The approach SHOULD be, who will be available in a few months that could be the best teacher for Watson AND has enough history that could assemble a veteran offensive staff.

1 out of 10 QBs is how I took it.

Watson had something nobody had in the OB years . He found open receivers everywhere or knew when to take the yardage and run .
No, 3 years of an offense that got worse every single season he's been here is evidence of failure. And now that that one player is out, that offense is just as pathetic as it was before that one player.

And again, he's partly responsible for the Jimmy's and Joe's he has.

He was smart enough to adapt to Watson . The players play for him so he has some respect in the locker room . I do think Bill may be gone because he not a McNair guy . I think Bob M will keep this team average and Bob will see greener pastures .

OB's offense;
2014: 17th yards, 14th points
2015: 19th yards, 21st points
2016: 29th yards, 28th points

OB's offense under Tom Savage is averaging 16.6 points per game, which would rank 28th, and 285.1 yards per game, which would rank about 30th. That's even worse than an Osweiler led offense.

Who do you put that shitty offense on?

I'm not putting all the Texans problems on Bill O'Brien, because Rick Smith certainly plays a big role in that, but this guy is supposed to be an offensive guy. Where's the offense? And that's after getting rid of his OC and taking over himself.

Where's the offense?

OB's offense;
2014: 17th yards, 14th points
2015: 19th yards, 21st points
2016: 29th yards, 28th points

OB's offense under Tom Savage is averaging 16.6 points per game, which would rank 28th, and 285.1 yards per game, which would rank about 30th. That's even worse than an Osweiler led offense.

Who do you put that shitty offense on?

I'm not putting all the Texans problems on Bill O'Brien, because Rick Smith certainly plays a big role in that, but this guy is supposed to be an offensive guy. Where's the offense? And that's after getting rid of his OC and taking over himself.

Where's the offense?

2016 in a word , Brock . They were 9-7 with a dude who couldn't make the Browns . The people who signed Brock are the ones who had to give up a second to ditch him and therefore are the weakest link .

Last edited:
Watson made O'Brien look good, not the other way around. There is no more simple way it can be stated. There should be ZERO fear about a new head coach struggling with Watson, because Watson has already shown what he can do with no offensive line and a clueless head coach. The approach SHOULD be, who will be available in a few months that could be the best teacher for Watson AND has enough history that could assemble a veteran offensive staff.

Oh, please. That's such a stretch that it comes off as willful ignorance. They have made each other look good, at least. One of the reasons why Watson is so good is because he actually stands in the pocket, can avoid sacks, and hits open receivers in stride. O'Brien has never had a legit QB and now we're seeing the spoils of having one that's even better than legit.

Traded the number 1 pick ( even though Clowney is a beast) for extra picks that year and the following. They could've got a QB in the 2015 draft.

But oh well we are back to square one. This time we don't even have a 1st and 2nd round pick next year.

Hopefully we have different decision makers back at square one.. In addition to being bad talent evaluators the Texans fooled themselves into thinking they were only a qb away.

Oh, please. That's such a stretch that it comes off as willful ignorance. They have made each other look good, at least. One of the reasons why Watson is so good is because he actually stands in the pocket, can avoid sacks, and hits open receivers in stride. O'Brien has never had a legit QB and now we're seeing the spoils of having one that's even better than legit.

Now think if Watson had a decent Oline which he'll need .

I loved what O'Brien did with Watson. I thought he got the best out of Fitzy and Hoyer. My issue isn't with what O'Brien has done with the QB's. It's just he keeps making the same in-game mistakes. In addition, the entire team seems flat at times, important times at the beginning of important or meaningful. He really botched that KC playoff game. I still have a problem with him lining up Wilfork and Watt at the goal line. Watt wasn't 100% going into that game. Why sacrifice him on that stupid gadget play?

My thoughts are, if Smith gets to stay so should O'Brien. If O'Brien is fired then so should Smith. But I don't think Bob will ever fire Smith; unless Smith is the catalyst in bringing in his very own personal HC and that guy falls flat on his face, 0-16 or close to it.

I agree he's had some in-game mistakes but every coach does that's not named Belichik but he also has the greatest QB ever to bail him out. I don't know, man.. Houston has always been bad in big games but how much of that is on the trash that's at QB? I mean, I think we put up a better fight than what most people expected when we played NE in the playoffs last year. WITH BROCK OSWEILLER at that. Now having acquired Watson, we showed up to play against Seattle and New England this year. I think we lost those games more because our defense is so god awful than being conservative but I can understand that knock on O'Brien. That's fair.

Hoyer botched that Chiefs game and there's no way O'Brien salvages that. Yes, that one gadget play with Watt & Wilfork was stupid but you've got to admit we've had some pretty awesome gadget plays. Maybe Watt convinced O'Brien he was healthy. I have no idea but we'll never know.

O'Brien has had more quarterbacks than the Browns, and the one QB that this 'guru' has stuck with over the years is a turnover machine. That one quarterback got all of the #1 snaps during camp and preseason and is still a complete mess. A rookie with exceptionally little time spent with O'Brien's offense is putting up 30+ points and all of a sudden O'Brien's offense is the reason for his success? Much like Keenum to 2-0, Watson got the highschool version of an offense and did almost everything. Well, until the game was on the line and O'Brien handed the ball to Miller up the middle of course. Willful ignorance is ignoring failure 10 times because 1 success supports your addiction.

The common denominator with successful quarterbacks in O'Brien's tenure - the less time learning his system the better. Keenum is 2-0, Yates is 2-0, Weeden is 1-0 and Watson was on his way to destroy every rookie record.

Last edited:

Dude, you can't just say "Traded the number 1 pick" because it sounds good although I would have loved if we were able to. First off, it takes two teams to pull off a trade, and second of all, it takes a team willing to mortgage their future picks on said number 1 pick. Do you honestly think a GM was going to risk his job reaching on a DE who had a questionable motor? When we drafted Clowney, I had no idea what we were getting from him so I highly doubt any GM saw him worth trading multiple picks for. We got the number 1 pick in a crappy draft class in regards to which players were considered top 10. It is what it is.

That 2015 QB draft class kinda sucks to be honest. Winston or Mariota. They probably aren't even available because we wouldn't have either first two picks. Thanks but no thanks. I'm perfectly happy going through QB hell for Watson. I'd opt for it every time.

O'Brien has had more quarterbacks than the Browns, and the one QB that this 'guru' has stuck with over the years is a turnover machine. That one quarterback got all of the #1 snaps during camp and preseason and is still a complete mess. A rookie with exceptionally little time spent with O'Brien's offense is putting up 30+ points and all of a sudden O'Brien's offense is the reason for his success? Much like Keenum to 2-0, Watson got the highschool version of an offense and did almost everything. Well, until the game was on the line and O'Brien handed the ball to Miller up the middle of course. Willful ignorance is ignoring failure 10 times because 1 success supports your addiction.

The common denominator with successful quarterbacks in O'Brien's tenure - the less time learning his system the better. Keenum is 2-0, Yates is 2-0, Weeden is 1-0 and Watson was on his way to destroy every rookie record.

It's not O'Brien's fault that Rick has given him **** at QB to work with up until this year so I don't know what you're getting at with that. I don't think O'Brien wanted to throw in a rookie QB and he was willing to give Savage his support of earning the job. I think that's absolutely reasonable and we all know what happened with Savage after two quarters. Remember, literally everyone thought Deshaun was going to take some time. Deshaun would have been the first player taken if people knew he was going to be this good. He would have had Andrew Luck, once-in-a-generation kind of hype that multiple teams would have tanked for.

You can go ahead and blame one play on losing that game but I won't. You do remember Watson threw a pick six, right? I blame our secondary and especially whoever that Safety was who dropped the game ending interception.

Last edited:
It's not O'Brien's fault that Rick has given him **** at QB to work with

It is 100% O'Brien's fault. Rick Smith is a glorified gopher - had O'Brien made a target, he'd have it. He instead targeted a safe veteran Fitzpatrick and ("the top QB's are all the same, I pick Savage"). He benched Fitz out of inexperienced panic, and cut him. He instead targeted someone he'd worked with in Hoyer, and Mallett ... cut both. He got overridden (maybe?) with Osweiler, because he hadn't provided a quarterback. He's had options every year through the draft and free agency. He's had the ability to stick with a quarterback into the following season. Obviously QB's are better the next season as they're more familiar with the coach/scheme/team. There is only so much blame to be placed elsewhere - Bill O'Brien is 100% responsible for the quarterback situation during his tenure.

It is 100% O'Brien's fault. Rick Smith is a glorified gopher - had O'Brien made a target, he'd have it. He instead targeted a safe veteran Fitzpatrick and ("the top QB's are all the same, I pick Savage"). He benched Fitz out of inexperienced panic, and cut him. He instead targeted someone he'd worked with in Hoyer, and Mallett ... cut both. He got overridden (maybe?) with Osweiler, because he hadn't provided a quarterback. He's had options every year through the draft and free agency. He's had the ability to stick with a quarterback into the following season. Obviously QB's are better the next season as they're more familiar with the coach/scheme/team. There is only so much blame to be placed elsewhere - Bill O'Brien is 100% responsible for the quarterback situation during his tenure.

Uh, Fitz broke his ankle that ended his season. He was then looking for a decent payday and the Jets fell for it. We looked alright with Hoyer until pulled off the worst QB play in maybe postseason history. Osweiller was totally on Rick.

You literally only quoted one sentence out of my rebuttal so you've got that going for you.. :clown:

He didn't get the QB he was rumored to want his 1st season. (Jimmy G) Ricky let the Pats pull a fast one on him. Sorta like the Seahawks pulling a fast one on Ricky. (Lockett)

Oh well, water under the bridge, one way or another BOB will be gone after this season. Hopefully McNair will show the godfather the door with BOB. A fresh start is badly needed in GM/HC areas.

I don't think he should get a pass for the Watson injury, but for starting the season with our O-Line, and losing our two best defensive players in addition to Watson, yes he should be given a pass. Should Mike McCarthy be on the hot seat for the Packers, obviously he can't coach without Rodgers. Garrett is awful now without Zeke and Sean Lee. There is only one coach in the league that can routinely find success when hit with the injury bug. The second we let O'Brien go he has another job. Fire OB after what has happened this season and good coaches aren't going to be knocking down the door to be next man up.

Coaches will always want this job because O'Brien is getting ready to get an extension for doing an average job, John McClain just approved it. This is the most grateful organization for mediocrity in the NFL, how could any coach not want to work for an owner who's expectations are as low as McNair's. I wouldn't fire him for "just" this year, it would be because in a league based on parity, he can't ever seem to beat a good team. Most average teams can occasionally pull off a big upset every now and again. We can play them close, we just can't beat them. Our teams identity is we are very good at beating bad teams, but can't beat the good ones.

PS O'Brien was 3-4 "with" Watson...

I know, I know, we lost to "good" teams, and that's enough... after all, we are better than Cleveland!

Last edited:
Fitz was on a 2 year contract. He was cut.

Says who other than fans that Oz was totally RS?

Oz had to be Rick and McNair because anyone else it would have got out ... right ?

I think Bob told RS that Bill was to picky and that Rick and Bob would find a QB and Bill will have to like it .

Uh, Fitz broke his ankle that ended his season. He was then looking for a decent payday and the Jets fell for it. We looked alright with Hoyer until pulled off the worst QB play in maybe postseason history. Osweiller was totally on Rick.You literally only quoted one sentence out of my rebuttal so you've got that going for you.. :clown:

Fitz was benched before injury, and led the Jets to a 10-6 record the following season - released. Hoyer is damn near the only QB to have a winning record for the Browns, and looked real good the following season before injury (6td's to 0int's) - released. Keenum was - I can only use the term 'ripe' - released for no reason, brought back to go 2-0 ... released again. Yates knew the players and their strengths - released, brought back to go 2-0 ... released again.

1 - All of the quarterbacks have had success immediately before, during or after their stint here. Why did O'Brien not hold on to at least one of them to keep the team moving forward?
2 - Had O'Brien told management to get a quarterback, it would've happened.

O'Brien had his quarterback, his ace and protege. Savage has been his guy from the get-go. There have been a dozen options, and O'Brien has stuck with one - Savage.

Last edited:
He didn't get the QB he was rumored to want his 1st season. (Jimmy G) Ricky let the Pats pull a fast one on him.

I can't take draft rumors seriously, and to assume their authenticity (for someone who's heavily involved in the draft process and should know better), is not very flattering to your stance.

He didn't get the QB he was rumored to want his 1st season. (Jimmy G) Ricky let the Pats pull a fast one on him. Sorta like the Seahawks pulling a fast one on Ricky. (Lockett)

Oh well, water under the bridge, one way or another BOB will be gone after this season. Hopefully McNair will show the godfather the door with BOB. A fresh start is badly needed in GM/HC areas.

Rick is always looking for a deal , which is good , except for a QB . If you think he's a 3rd , take him in the 2nd .

Who is your next HC? Who is that Watson teacher/whisperer that could assemble an offensive staff to accommodate? Name some candidates, if you can. I actually have some viable candidates. Do you?

You seem to think it's easy to assemble an entire coaching staff overnight. But I bet you don't have one name in mind that would make sense that could make it all happen.

Dude, you can't just say "Traded the number 1 pick" because it sounds good although I would have loved if we were able to. First off, it takes two teams to pull off a trade, and second of all, it takes a team willing to mortgage their future picks on said number 1 pick. Do you honestly think a GM was going to risk his job reaching on a DE who had a questionable motor? When we drafted Clowney, I had no idea what we were getting from him so I highly doubt any GM saw him worth trading multiple picks for. We got the number 1 pick in a crappy draft class in regards to which players were considered top 10. It is what it is.

That 2015 QB draft class kinda sucks to be honest. Winston or Mariota. They probably aren't even available because we wouldn't have either first two picks. Thanks but no thanks. I'm perfectly happy going through QB hell for Watson. I'd opt for it every time.

I said trade the #1 pick. That doesn't mean trade Clowney. The Texans didn't have to draft a DE with that pick either. You asked a question and I answered it with what I would've done. Im an oilfield worker not a NFL GM. Mr. Rick is the one that gets paid the big bucks for that job. Lol

Fitz was on a 2 year contract. He was cut.

Says who other than fans that Oz was totally RS?

We didn’t know Brock well enough,” McNair told the Houston Chronicle. “Coach [Bill O’Brien] didn’t have a chance to get to know him….You can’t talk to them (players on other teams’ rosters) before they become a free agent. You can’t work them out. We didn’t know him that well.”

“If we go back and really analyze the Brock Osweiler signing, I think Rick Smith went ahead, acted on his own as the general manager … and went ahead and signed him. … I talked to the coaches there and there wasn’t a lot of love [for Osweiler]. My sense of it is, yes you’re right, you can make that statement. But I think the general manager made this [move] more than the coaching staff in a unified decision.”

I don't know about you guys but it's always sounded like a Rick Smith move. Wasn't Brock signed really early in Free Agency? I'm pretty sure Rick jumped on a plane and signed Brock before Brock even walked into a Texans building.

Back