Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

AJ out a few weeks, has procedure

McClain on 610 radio this morning was asked about the surgical procedure AJ had. He did not correct the interviewer, but went on to nonspecifically refer to "the procedure." He said that grabbing the back of the knee had everyone thinking it was an Achilles or knee ligament injury. Distal hamstring was not originally entertained. He said that the procedure was to avoid scar tissue from forming during the healing.....causing it to heal quicker.

All the studies I've seen surrounding platelet rich plasma and tissue repair are too small and the results have been somewhat mixed. I know that theory sounds good on paper, and injecting rats with it seems to improve outcomes, but it hasn't translated well into humans. The other problem with it is that no one has any sort of dosing, the amount of growth factors in the injection varies highly, and we don't even know what is the proper amount per injection.

We also don't know all the long term effects of it.

It may work great, but right now it needs to be studied thoroughly before it becomes the mainstay for therapy.

Interesting. I will see what I can find out. Is it surgical procedure or mistaken reference. Perhaps aspirating a pocket of blood? Reduce scar tissue but doesn't really aid recovery. What surgical procedure could have him ready by Titans game? BTW agents reference to HIPAA is joke- not relevant to discussion.

Another thought, TC. Typically, hematoma drainage is not performed unless the hematoma is LARGE (otherwise treated with massage and ultrasound treatments to help absorbtion, decreasing swelling and softening of any scar tissue that forms. Unless large, the morbidity (infection, drain if left in place, further scarring, etc) in performing a surgical draining typically outweighs its use. A further complicating factor is that when a player sustains an injury like this, they have usually ingested blood thinner elements such as anti-inflammatories (Aspirin, Motrin, Advil), alcohol (we know most players love their beer, wine and spirits), fish oil supplements, antioxidants, etc........many of which can affect bleeding for up to 10 days. The troublesome point is if there was a complicating LARGE hematoma, there will be significant surrounding tissue inflammation and potential for significant increased scar formation (albeit possibly somewhat less than if not drained) anyway........despite drainage.

Another thought, TC. Typically, hematoma drainage is not performed unless the hematoma is LARGE (otherwise treated with massage and ultrasound treatments to help absorbtion, decreasing swelling and softening of any scar tissue that forms. Unless large, the morbidity (infection, drain if left in place, further scarring, etc) in performing a surgical draining typically outweighs its use. A further complicating factor is that when a player sustains an injury like this, they have usually ingested blood thinner elements such as anti-inflammatories (Aspirin, Motrin, Advil), fish oil supplements, antioxidants, etc........many of which can affect bleeding for up to 10 days. The troublesome point is if there was a complicating LARGE hematoma, there will be significant surrounding tissue inflammation and potential for significant increased scar formation (albeit possibly somewhat less than if not drained)........despite drainage.

Yeah, I've drained maybe 3 hematomas in my life, and they were always on patients on anticoagulants. And in all 3 cases they were to prevent compartment syndrome. I wouldn't see any reason to do so in his case.

All the studies I've seen surrounding platelet rich plasma and tissue repair are too small and the results have been somewhat mixed. I know that theory sounds good on paper, and injecting rats with it seems to improve outcomes, but it hasn't translated well into humans. The other problem with it is that no one has any sort of dosing, the amount of growth factors in the injection varies highly, and we don't even know what is the proper amount per injection.

We also don't know all the long term effects of it.

It may work great, but right now it needs to be studied thoroughly before it becomes the mainstay for therapy.

Agree on all points. I wrote extensively on this subject when AJ was treated with this modality for his high ankle sprain............and the literature has not been any more supportive since that time.

While some injuries cannot be helped, hamstring injuries can be prevented. Injury prevention should be the strength and conditioning staffs primary job. The fastest way to achieve optimal performance is to get an athlete as healthy as possible. Look for muscle imbalances and correct them, look for restrictions in proper joint mobility and improper posture and correct these issues, and properly condition your athletes so that fatigue isn't a factor. I would say the biggest risk factors in hamstring injuries are muscle imbalances, postural issues, and improper mobility not being fast sprinter. Speed is related to the amount of mass specific force you produce, the more force you put into the ground per pound of bodyweight the faster your run. If you can produce the force you should be able to handle it.

Here's where the above mentioned factors become an issue, if you have muscle imbalances you are asking certain muscles to do more than their fair share of the work involved in producing movement. These overloaded muscles have a higher propensity for straining. For example, the gluteals are the body's primary hip extenders, the hamstrings aid in this function. If the glutes are weak or inhibited than the hamstrings will try to perform more than their fair share making injury likely. If the quads are too strong then they can over stress the hamstrings, as they work in opposition, making injury more likely.

Poor posture, primarily an anterior pelvic tilt, can over stretch the hamstrings, which can increase the likelihood of injury. The more a muscle is stretched the less force it can produce/handle. Weak abdominals, obliques and tight hip flexors create this issue and over stress the hammies. This anterior pelvic tilt can also inhibit the gluteals - which causes issues as stated above.

Improper weight training can also lead to injury. When sprinting, the muscles involved have to turn on and off very rapidly. The difference between elite athletes and average Joes is seen not only in their ability to turn their muscles on to a higher degree but also to turn them off to a greater degree. If the muscle is carrying too much tension at a time when it is supposed to be relaxed then injury can occur. Weight training can foul this sequence up if the training program is improperly set up. Noted strength coach Barry Ross ( the strength coach for Allison Felix, one of the top 200 meter sprinters in the world) focuses much of his training around the deadlift. When performing the DL, he has his athletes drop the bar once it gets above the knees to avoid a slow eccentric contraction with a heavy load. These slow eccentric contractions can cause issues in sprinters performing high speed sprints. Noted strength coach Charles Poliquin has stated the fastest way to pull a hamstring is to have athletes leg press and perform leg curls. These two exercise complete ignore the hamstrings primary function of hip extension, predisposing it for injury. Fast eccentrics, such as plyometrics and exercises such as the kettlebell swing, can help prevent muscle strains by exposing the muscles to higher stretch loads but in a manageable way.

Admittedly there are lot of factors involved in prevention, but hamstring issues can be avoided. There are some issues that may not be avoided. All athletes get fatigued during competition and when muscles are fatigued they can't handle the same forces as when they're fresh - the easy answer would be to get into proper condition so that fatigue doesn't happen as easily. Additionally, when being tackled or trying to avoid a tackle the athlete can get into funky positions which can over stress a muscles, but fast eccentrics can aid in this situation as well by creating a better tolerance for higher stretch loads.

Otisbean, very good post.
You and I have discussed this on the board in the past, almost to exhaustion.
No doubt that the occurrence of hamstring injuries cannot be totally eradicated. But they definitely can be very much minimized with careful adherence to the basic principles by players and their conditioning personell.

BTW, Rick Smith on 610 stated that he had no idea where the 2-3 week time table came from...........essentially saying he will be back when he will be back.

McClain on 610 radio this morning was asked about the surgical procedure AJ had. He did not correct the interviewer, but went on to nonspecifically refer to "the procedure." He said that grabbing the back of the knee had everyone thinking it was an Achilles or knee ligament injury. Distal hamstring was not originally entertained. He said that the procedure was to avoid scar tissue from forming during the healing.....causing it to heal quicker.

OK, was able to run some traps this morning.

I was informed that Andre Johnson did receive PRP treatment.

I was unable to get any details about the injury.

That a person received PRP treatment doesn't help you figure out how fast they will return.

Updated my post here: http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/10/andre-johnsons-injury-hamstring-leg-knee/

OK, was able to run some traps this morning.

I was informed that Andre Johnson did receive PRP treatment.

I was unable to get any details about the injury.

That a person received PRP treatment doesn't help you figure out how fast they will return.

Updated my post here: http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/10/andre-johnsons-injury-hamstring-leg-knee/

Thanks, that would have been the most likely "medical procedure" performed.
Unfortunately, at this point in time there is no proof that PRP therapy has any more effect on recovery than beads and gords.

Agree on all points. I wrote extensively on this subject when AJ was treated with this modality for his high ankle sprain............and the literature has not been any more supportive since that time.

The Steelers were one of the first teams to use this in the NFL. They've had some anecdotal positive responses to it.

Hard to do studies on this involving elite athletes receiving tons of care. Because teams don't want to share their stuff.

TC, back to back multiple MRIs would be somewhat unusual for purposes of obtaining multiple angles since the angles of an MRI are actually obtained by the "3-dimensional" MRI software manipulated off a single MRI.

TC, back to back multiple MRIs would be somewhat unusual for purposes of obtaining multiple angles since the angles of an MRI are actually obtained by the "3-dimensional" MRI software manipulated off a single MRI.

Hmmm. I guess at this point we are talking about semantics because we don't know if we are talking about back to back multiple MRIs. We are in vague land. Sometimes intentionally so.

I will add that to my post.

The Steelers were one of the first teams to use this in the NFL. They've had some anecdotal positive responses to it.

Hard to do studies on this involving elite athletes receiving tons of care. Because teams don't want to share their stuff.

Anecdotal stories appear in medicine when there are occasional positives mixed with numerous cases of no apparent effects. With all the different variables in injury and concentrated traditional techniques being applied simultaneously, it is impossible to attribute any positives to that treatment alone. Controlled studies are the only way to see that a placebo effect is not in effect. Existing controlled studies when analyzed have not proven the value of these injections.

Last edited:
While some injuries cannot be helped, hamstring injuries can be prevented. Injury prevention should be the strength and conditioning staffs primary job. The fastest way to achieve optimal performance is to get an athlete as healthy as possible. Look for muscle imbalances and correct them, look for restrictions in proper joint mobility and improper posture and correct these issues, and properly condition your athletes so that fatigue isn't a factor. I would say the biggest risk factors in hamstring injuries are muscle imbalances, postural issues, and improper mobility not being fast sprinter.
I always remember our coaching staff in High School remodeled our conditioning program when I was a sophomore to mirror what Nebraska was doing at the time. One thing that always stuck out was the repeated insistence to keep the hamstring "max out" at 60% minimum of quad "max out". That was specifically to prevent the classic "blow-out" where the runner drops the (football, baton, etc.) and starts grabbing the back of his leg.

Thanks, that would have been the most likely "medical procedure" performed.
Unfortunately, at this point in time there is no proof that PRP therapy has any more effect on recovery than beads and gords.
Leeches, you forgot leeches! :thinking:

TC,

At one point in time it may be useful for you to relate this basic bit of information to your readers. It seems to be a constant source of confusion. Whenever there seems to be a discussion about muscle, tendon or ligament injuries, the question comes up “Was it a sprain (or strain) or a tear?" A muscle or tendon injury is referred to as a “strain,” while a ligament injury is referred to as a “sprain.” BOTH are TEARS of their respective tissues, and are subsequently graded as to their severity.

Just a thought. Again thanks for your continuing very informative blogging. Keep up the great work!

I always remember our coaching staff in High School remodeled our conditioning program when I was a sophomore to mirror what Nebraska was doing at the time. One thing that always stuck out was the repeated insistence to keep the hamstring "max out" at 60% minimum of quad "max out". That was specifically to prevent the classic "blow-out" where the runner drops the (football, baton, etc.) and starts grabbing the back of his leg.

Leeches, you forgot leeches! :thinking:

I've used leeches in my practice for digit replants and breast reconstruction flaps and on other injured tissues with poor venous blood return.............but they'd be just as worthless as the beads and gords on something like this..........maybe if you would eat them..........high protein, you know.........protein's good for healing............by gosh, Dissacks........you may just have hit on something...........quick, call the Texans!:)

Anecdotal stories appear in medicine when there are occasional positives mixed with numerous cases of no apparent effects. With all the different variables in injury and concentrated traditional techniques being applied simultaneously, it is impossible to attribute any positives to that treatment alone. Controlled studies are the only way to see that a placebo effect is not in effect. Existing controlled studies when analyzed have not proven the value of these injections.

Familiar with the studies. Just a difficult topic to study with football teams that don't want to share their techniques. Know that the teams that use this process very much believe in it.

Even if it were a placebo effect, given the importance of confidence in coming back from injury, that might not be a bad thing. I think they should also give him the baby unicorn stem cells too. :kitten:

Familiar with the studies. Just a difficult topic to study with football teams that don't want to share their techniques. Know that the teams that use this process very much believe in it.

Even if it were a placebo effect, given the importance of confidence in coming back from injury, that might not be a bad thing. I think they should also give him the baby unicorn stem cells too. :kitten:

Nah, I'd mix gazelle and rhino and let'em eat

It is what it is!! We can speculate about AJs injury until hell freezes over, and it will STILL be what it is!! Only AJ and his Docs know for sure, and that's fine with me!! We, as fans, are NOT on a need to know basis! If we are told the truth then the rest of the NFL knows the truth. I'm just fine with a bunch of misleading statements, if it throws off the balance in our favor. An "elite" team will find a way to win without their "STARS." We have a lot of weapons on our offense, JAMES CASEY, to mention one, and I think our guys will go out and bust ass for a win!! It's a TEAM sport! I hope we are never identified like the Colts, a team that is nothing without that ONE special player! Truthfully, I think our mild, easy going, soft spoken AJ, will be our biggest cheerleader for the next 3,6,9,10 whatever, wks he is out! He believes in this team, and every player on our team respects the heck out of AJ. Gotta have faith, and I intend to keep on believing in this team, even though I still close my eyes and hold my breath everytime JJ gets the ball!
Yeah!!!
You tell 'em sistah!!!
Rep worthy.

....meanwhile I chose to
:firehair:

It just makes me feel better.

You're right! LOL

I heard that Peyton flew to Europe for that treatment but it was ineffective...
:kitten:

Stephanie, you've been quoted at The Red Zone.

Stephanie Stradley of the Houston Chronicle reports she was told through a trusted source that Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson received Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy.

She did not receiver confirmation from anyone with the team or his agent, given their stance that they are not going to comment on the specific procedure. She has no details of the injury other than what has been reported "a slight tear in his right hamstring."

Link

Forget ESPN-- you've hit the big time now.

I heard that Peyton flew to Europe for that treatment but it was ineffective...
:kitten:

This was performed prior to giving up the ghost and having his fusion surgery.

Stem cell treatments could likely be a legitimate reparative tool sometime in the future.
However, at this time, there are too many unknowns. How do you best harvest them.......from what tissues.........how should they be cultured........how should they be delivered........how much should be delivered........how should they be stored..........What approach of all the aforementioned will prove most useful for individual different problems.......and what are the short and long-term potential problems associated with them.......will these treatment results extrapolate from mice to men........lots of questions need to be answered before they will be generally acceptable to the medical community.

If we, the fans, are informed then all the teams we'll be facing will also be informed.

I prefer to be ignorant if it gives the team an advantage because the opposing team doesn't know what to prepare for.

Transparency is all great and wonderful in business but in football, I want it totally opaque. At least when it comes to my team.

well then send out a newsletter to all season ticket holders giving them the truth about injuries :choke:. HAHA just wish we had confirmation on atleast one of this teams injuries.

This was performed prior to giving up the ghost and having his fusion surgery.

Stem cell treatments could likely be a legitimate reparative tool sometime in the future.
However, at this time, there are too many unknowns. How do you best harvest them.......from what tissues.........how should they be cultured........how should they be delivered........how much should be delivered........how should they be stored..........What approach of all the aforementioned will prove most useful for individual different problems.......and what are the short and long-term potential problems associated with them.......will these treatment results extrapolate from mice to men........lots of questions need to be answered before they will be generally acceptable to the medical community.

Not to mention that a lot of stem cell treatments in mice have ended up growing into tumors. The hormone milieu that turns stem cells into nerves and other tissue is completely different when you are an adult. I'm hopeful that we somehow learn to control it, but right now it just as you said: there are too many unknowns to effectively use it.

Repped

Fake AJ MRI:

Fake-Imagined-AJ-Hamstring-MRI.png

You can merge just wanted it to be a headline for a sec :)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7...kubiak-says-andre-johnson-procedure-went-well

HOUSTON -- Texans All-Pro receiver Andre Johnson will miss Sunday's game at home against the Oakland Raiders and an unspecified amount of time after a minor procedure to repair a right hamstring injury.

“
We're not putting any timeline on anything right now. We just know everything went well. The doctor feels good about it, Andre feels good about it.

”
-- Texans coach Gary Kubiak

Coach Gary Kubiak said the Texans (3-1) would be "missing a heck of a player" against the Raiders, but would not put a timetable on Johnson's return after Tuesday's procedure.

"All the information we're getting moving forward is very positive," Kubiak said Wednesday. "We're not putting any timeline on anything right now. We just know everything went well. The doctor feels good about it, Andre feels good about it."

KRIV-TV in Houston reported Tuesday that Johnson is expected to miss three weeks.

Johnson went down in the second quarter of Sunday's 17-10 win over Pittsburgh. He rejoined his team on the sideline in the fourth quarter, without crutches.

"We're going to miss him for a period of time," Kubiak said. "We're going to have to have some guys step up and play well."

The 6-foot-3, 226-pound Johnson missed three games last year with a sprained right ankle, including a 31-24 win over the Raiders (2-2). The five-time Pro Bowl selection sat out seven games in 2007 with a left knee injury that required offseason surgery and the Texans went 2-5 without him.

Kubiak said he believes his team is better equipped to handle Johnson's injury this time. Jacoby Jones will move into Johnson's position, and Kevin Walter and free-agent pickup Bryant Johnson move up the depth chart.

The Texans also can turn to Arian Foster, the NFL's leading rusher last season. Foster took over the offense after Johnson was hurt on Sunday, carrying 30 times for 155 yards and the game-winning touchdown against the Steelers in the final quarter.

Johnson's absence also should create more opportunities for tight end Owen Daniels, who caught two passes in the fourth quarter against Pittsburgh, and fullback James Casey, who had five catches for 126 yards and a touchdown in a 40-33 loss to New Orleans the previous week.

"We're probably going to get played a little differently," Kubiak said. "When Andre's on your team, everybody tries to take him away. Like I said, we can't replace Andre. We've got to, as a group, try to replace all the production that he adds on the field. That means everybody's got to pick it up, and we'll have a chance to prove it."

Houston also may be without running backs Ben Tate (groin) and Derrick Ward (sprained right ankle) against the Raiders. Tate and Ward sat out practice Wednesday, but Kubiak was hopeful that Tate would be ready to play Sunday.

The good news is that the Texans have more than just a passing game now. With Foster and a suddenly outstanding run-blocking O-line and a competent and hungry defense that delivered in the fourth quarter last Sunday, this is no longer a team that AJ needs to carry on his back. Sure, it hurts to lose him, but they aren't the same bad team without him as they used to be.

And if JJ can step up and OD gets his touches we can still beat the Raiders.

The good news is that the Texans have more than just a passing game now. With Foster and a suddenly outstanding run-blocking O-line and a competent and hungry defense that delivered in the fourth quarter last Sunday, this is no longer a team that AJ needs to carry on his back. Sure, it hurts to lose him, but they aren't the same bad team without him as they used to be.

And if JJ can step up and OD gets his touches we can still beat the Raiders.

i think the raiders will be so concerned with stopping Arian Foster that matt schaub will have a good day

Has Ward even played since he banged his noggin in the preseason? And how long is this sprained ankle thing gonna go on?

I'd feel better goin' into the Raiders game with 3 backs active as they seem to be made of glass this season. Not knockin' them, just noting all outside of Obiwan have been knicked up this year.....

Doc, I have a question. Would you explain us the difference in timetable with procedure and without procedure?

If you read the posts on the last few pages of the other AJ Thread, you will see how I feel about this type of therapy.

In summary, this is a predictive HEALING algorithm that I have devised based of the available medical literature:

HEALING WITH PRP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YES

HEALING WITHOUT PRP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>YES

RETURN TO PLAY TOO SOON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NO

The title of the article is somewhat humorous.......Andre Johnson procedure 'went well'

Does this mean that his leg didn't fall off during the injections.........or that he didn't die from a massive anaphylactic shock reaction from the injections........or the that the injecting physician accidentally stuck himself but that there was luckily another physician present that was able to complete the procedure without sticking himself.......????

Results obviously could not be observed during or immediately following the injection. But, of course, the Andre Johnson procedure 'went well':)

If you read the posts on the last few pages of the other AJ Thread, you will see how I feel about this type of therapy.

In summary, this is a predictive HEALING algorithm that I have devised based of the available medical literature:

Thank you for your help Doc. My bad, I did not realize there was other AJ thread lol.

Go Texans!!!

i think the raiders will be so concerned with stopping Arian Foster that matt schaub will have a good day

I don't think the Raiders are going to be able to stop anything. They have not been able to stop anything all year. The Raiders beat the Jets.... so what. They squeaked by Denver.....

What do we have to be scared of again?

The title of the article is somewhat humorous.......Andre Johnson procedure 'went well'

Does this mean that his leg didn't fall off during the injections.........or that he didn't die from a massive anaphylactic shock reaction from the injections........or the that the injecting physician accidentally stuck himself but that there was luckily another physician present that was able to complete the procedure without sticking himself.......????

Results obviously could not be observed during or immediately following the injection. But, of course, the Andre Johnson procedure 'went well':)

:lol: Watch it doc, or you might end up as cynical as me around here.

I still don't expect AJ back until after the bye week. This "procedure" doesn't change any of that.

Funny you mention this. On 1560 the Game they do a weekly segment with a doctor from Richmond Bone and Joint. He basically said what you demonstrated in algorith. He said, while there 'can' be a slight time change based on the PRP, it would be minimum at best.

Gah.

Correction.

Andre Johnson did have a surgical procedure on the distal tendon of his hamstring according to a trusted source I have. More information. Not confirmed by Texans or agent. Heard independently that three weeks was the expected recovery time.

Hoping to get more details.

http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/10/correction-andre-johnsons-did-have-a-surgical-procedure/

Has anyone seen him since Sunday in public, if he did has the surgery I would suspect he's on crutches.

Is it just me, or can we see the reflection of someone flipping us the BIRD in that Foster MRI image????

Look up, and to your right of the AJ/Finnegan image. You can somewhat see the darkened outline of a hand, and by gosh it looks like there's a hidden gem there telling us what he thinks of the haters!

I think it's possible. It looks like it's the film clipped to one of those lightboxes up on a wall and someone snaps a photo of it...the glass reflects a bit of the person's hand. Hmmm......

I think it's possible. It looks like it's the film clipped to one of those lightboxes up on a wall and someone snaps a photo of it...the glass reflects a bit of the person's hand. Hmmm......

I can tell you precisely what that is--my garbage photoshop skillz. Clone tool, I believe. I was tring to darken over a previous photoshop of something else.

Back