Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

AJ out a few weeks, has procedure

This is what C-N-D was trying to tell us. Even if he makes it back this week he will not be 100%. It will probably be 6wks from the time he got hurt before he's even close to 100%. The season could be over before AJ gets back to 100%.

They should've made the trade for Lloyd.

It's OK, this whole team won't be back until the last 3 games or so anyways.

You know how it goes: The mad dash for the finish line, to save Gary's job every year.

Derrick Mason needs to make serious noise on the field now.

It's OK, this whole team won't be back until the last 3 games or so anyways.

You know how it goes: The mad dash for the finish line, to save Gary's job every year.

Derrick Mason needs to make serious noise on the field now.

Not sure how much of a college basketball fan you are, but when the UCLA Bruins had Steve Lavin as coach, they'd have these national championship expectations all the time. They'd come out looking OK, then conference play started and they'd start losing to weaker/lower tier teams.

THE SECOND Lavin's job was on the line and fans and alumni started putting pressure on him, he and the Bruins would go to a top 10 team's house and pull off an upset. Then before the NCAA Tourney, they'd draw a low seed and get to the sweet 16 some how.

It kept happening. He'd never get fired. Eventually, he got his walking papers because he barely won 10 games in his last season. They couldn't wait to can his ass.

Texans do this same thing. Eventually, the ****'s going to wear thin. Same goes for those boys in San Diego.

OK, apparently 610 was as LZ said "fear tweeting" to make it sound worse than it is to generate listeners, the 6 weeks is retroactive. On top of that AJ said he doesn't believe it will even take that long.

OK, apparently 610 was as LZ said "fear tweeting" to make it sound worse than it is to generate listeners, the 6 weeks is retroactive. On top of that AJ said he doesn't believe it will even take that long.

its really hard to tell with andre's speach pattern would be a great poker player, said up to 6 weeks but it has been 2weeks since his procedure.

I still think 6 up from the initial 3 weeks is still significant.

Should be but let's see what happens. This team will not win if the opposing defenses key in on Arian and we can't get the run game going.

But...but...Kubiak is an offensive genius! One player cannot undermine the brilliant mind of Gary...right? :bubbles:

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/10/18/johnson-frustrated-he-cant-help-texans/

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcas...=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

Hows it going?

Doing good.

How good? How much can you tell us about how you're feeling?

I'm progressing day by day. I'm getting better day by day. Yesterday was a little frustrating when I was doing my rehab because just seeing what the team is going through right now and I'm not being able to play. I want to be back on the field so bad. I got a little frustrated. Today makes two weeks since I had my procedure. Everybody is like you're doing so well because a lot of people who have regular hamstring pulls aren't doing what I'm doing right now so I'm headed in the right direction. I just wish it could heal faster than what it is.

What was that procedure like for you? What has it been like for you personally?

First time I ever had a hamstring problem period. It's a little different for me. I've never experienced it before so..Everyday going at it real hard. Going after rehab real hard. Like I said, it's a little frustrating because I want to be back on the field real bad.

When do you expect to be back on the field for practice purposes? Or when do you think? I know it's a feeling right now.

You really cant put a timetable on it. Whenever it feels back to normal. Right now, it's still weak. Not as strong as it used to be. I still cant run full speed yet. I am out on the field running. I've tried to run full speed but you know..I'm just taking it day by day.

A unique procedure. You had to ask what this will do long term.

Long term, I dont have to deal with it anymore. I think it stems from old injuries. I was having pain behind my knee. Even when I'm running now, I don't feel that pain anymore so thats a good thing. They say it could take up to six weeks at the most but I dont think it will take me that long.

When it happened, what was your first thought?

I knew it was my hamstring. A lot of people thought it was my ACL. Soon as it popped, I felt a pop and knew exactly what it was. It was a lot of pain, that's what made me go down. I could hear everybody in stands like "Oh my God" and everyone chanting "Andre" for me to get back up but I'm fine man. I'm just rehabbing everyday, trying to get back at it.

Ive had the feeling the Texans were lowballing us

Why did you come back here?

Your 49ers are treating you well this season. I know you like the relationships here, but outside of that...how do you even invest anything into discussing this team?

Did you develop a thick outer shell while away from here, so that now when you come back and we're in the midst of yet another "Typical Texans shenanigans season" it just bounces off you?

At least you have a secondary team (49ers) you can watch with enjoyment this year. I envy you.

This also makes me think more and more that the Mason trade was a result of this rather than the poor showing against Oakland.

I actually believe Kubiak wanted to throw Jacoby into deep water and make him swim. I think Kubiak, as did I, thought Jacoby could have a great game and help us win...boosting everyone's confidence while AJ is away.

When Jacoby went 1 catch out of something like 11 looks from Schaub, I think Kubiak rightfully decided a more reliable and gritty WR needed to be brought aboard the Right Track Express.

However.....perhaps it COULD have been the plan to wait until after the Raiders game to add a WR, so as to not make people panic by bringing in Mason the day after AJ's MRI. The Texans are savvy like that; they know how to use smoke and mirrors when it comes to player injuries.

Why did you come back here?

Your 49ers are treating you well this season. I know you like the relationships here, but outside of that...how do you even invest anything into discussing this team?

Did you develop a thick outer shell while away from here, so that now when you come back and we're in the midst of yet another "Typical Texans shenanigans season" it just bounces off you?

At least you have a secondary team (49ers) you can watch with enjoyment this year. I envy you.
well, I worked for the 49ers...it's not like they are my favorite team. I never "left" for the 49ers. They are doing quite well right now though. I'm a friggin Houstonian and the guy who pretty much took this website to another level when I merged the official site into this one. Question my fandom? yeah right. Hell you have never even been to a game till last week.

Reactions: GP
When Jacoby went 1 catch out of something like 11 looks from Schaub, I think Kubiak rightfully decided a more reliable and gritty WR needed to be brought aboard the Right Track Express.

However.....perhaps it COULD have been the plan to wait until after the Raiders game to add a WR, so as to not make people panic by bringing in Mason the day after AJ's MRI. The Texans are savvy like that; they know how to use smoke and mirrors when it comes to player injuries.

Or it could have been the fact that we only dressed 3 WRs for the game when we normally dress 5. David Anderson got in the game, that should tell you how bad it was.

Jacoby could have had a great game, 250 yards 6 TDs (not likely I know) & we still would have been looking to get WRs in here.

well, I worked for the 49ers...it's not like they are my favorite team. I never "left" for the 49ers. They are doing quite well right now though. I'm a friggin Houstonian and the guy who pretty much took this website to another level when I merged the official site into this one. Question my fandom? yeah right. Hell you have never even been to a game till last week.

I wasn't being mean. Why did you neg rep me?

All I was saying is that I actually admire that you're here with us again. You were here during the Carr years, and I remember how painful that was for all of us. I remember you being a 9ers fan, and I was just saying it must be nice to have a team like the 9ers who are doing good too.

Herv likes the Steelers, so I know he enjoys watching them do well also.

I 100% was not questioning your fandom. I apologize. Man, sometimes I think you and 'Cak immediately jump my ass without even giving me the benefit of the doubt.

I don't even get how it could be interpreted as being disrespectful to you.

EDIT: I DO remember you being on this board and moderating it and making it what we had all hoped the main board would be. I was here within the first freaking' week of this board's existence, to throw my allegiance into it when it had 12 posters on it. I remember you and Kaiser Toro reigning people in and banning people every day for weeks upon end, trying to make it into a great place. I DO have respect for you, but you for some reason read "disrespect" into any post I make that involves you. Back before you left, I had to send you a long PM explaining that I felt you misjudged me severely JUST due to what you were hearing from other posters and not giving me a fair shot on here. And you PM'd me back, and said "Yeah, after re-thinking on it, you're alright." It's nice to know that you are so reactionary that I can be a bad apple one second, "alright" the next, and back to being a loser once again. Maybe I shouldn't value your opinion as much anymore. Maybe I am to blame here. My bad.

Ive had the feeling the Texans were lowballing us

I thought the same thing.

On it's face, the injury didn't look too bad, BUT.... the fact that it looked so severe when there were no tacklers around made me think that it was way worse than they were letting on.

A guy just doesn't pull up lame without any contact unless he didn't already have a problem with that leg. I wasn't buying the "he'll be off a couple weeks" line either. I've never heard of a procedure (aside from a cortisone shot) that takes a few weeks to come back from.

heh-heh.... I thought your reply was kind of tongue in cheek myself.

I find that this -->:kitten:<-- helps.

I was trying to go for brevity, since I'm told I am too lengthy in my posts.

I suppose I should have been more detailed in what I was saying to him. All I meant, and I am 100% honest when I say this here, is that at least Vinny has the 9ers to look forward to this season.

I can't win for losin'.....no wonder I like this Texans team so much. :texanbill:

I was trying to go for brevity, since I'm told I am too lengthy in my posts.

I suppose I should have been more detailed in what I was saying to him. All I meant, and I am 100% honest when I say this here, is that at least Vinny has the 9ers to look forward to this season.

I can't win for losin'.....no wonder I like this Texans team so much. :texanbill:
ok gp, I forgive you. I won't repnazi you anymore. I've had too much coffee, so throw the flag and back me up 15 yards...for another Texan first down! (and 25 yards to go). :handshake:

ok gp, I forgive you. I won't repnazi you anymore. I've had too much coffee, so throw the flag and back me up 15 yards...for another Texan first down! (and 25 yards to go). :handshake:

LOL. Man, I couldn't neg rep you because I knew that once I had a chance to speak with you that it would be OK between us. I sent you positive rep to show you, sincerely, that I was not attacking you at all.

Just glad to know we're good to go.

The neg rep makes no dent in my overall points standing. I can go on a Texans-style losing streak in rep points and still make the playoffs with ease. Can't say the same for the Texans, though. Ugggh.

All is well. Thank you, Vinny.

Brevity is the soul of wit, but there is no need for a witty party.

LOL. Just wanted to say that you've only got a few posts here, but I like your contributions so far.

Keep up the good work, Kthx.

Any chance of a realistic return this week?

Since we figured out a way to win without him yesterday, i bet Gary wants to hold him out 1 or 2 more weeks.

Any chance of a realistic return this week?

Since we figured out a way to win without him yesterday, i bet Gary wants to hold him out 1 or 2 more weeks.

If he holds him out, it will be more because of the level of competition.

Tampa Bay, Atlanta, Cincy... we should be fine as long as we get him for that stretch.

100% healthy is extremely important for the Post season.
:koolaid:

From Rotoworld:

Andre Johnson (hamstring, out) acknowledged Friday that his surgically repaired hamstring is only at 70-75 percent.

It sounds like he may be questionable for Week 9. The Texans have a bye in Week 10. "I don’t feel like I’m ready to play," Johnson conceded. "I’m not at full speed yet." A more optimistic coach Gary Kubiak called Johnson "real close" to playing in games. Jacoby Jones will get at least one more start. Oct 28 - 4:19 PM
Source: Nick Scurfield on Twitter

From Rotoworld:
The pessimist in me has me wondering if we've seen the last of the AJ we remember. I've got this horrible feeling in the back of my mind that they thought this was going to help him and it hasn't (and possibly it's made his situation worse). I keep thinking of Tony Boselli and how the shoulder that ended his career wasn't the one he injured badly the last time he played but instead the other one where they went in to clean up some scar tissue, made a mistake, and effectively ended his career in the process. I keep thinking of Domanick Davis and how his knee surgery was supposed to improve his problem knee but instead we never saw him again.

Injuries scare me. Andre Johnson injuries terrify me beyond the capacity for rational thought.

The pessimist in me has me wondering if we've seen the last of the AJ we remember. I've got this horrible feeling in the back of my mind that they thought this was going to help him and it hasn't (and possibly it's made his situation worse). I keep thinking of Tony Boselli and how the shoulder that ended his career wasn't the one he injured badly the last time he played but instead the other one where they went in to clean up some scar tissue, made a mistake, and effectively ended his career in the process. I keep thinking of Domanick Davis and how his knee surgery was supposed to improve his problem knee but instead we never saw him again.

Injuries scare me. Andre Johnson injuries terrify me beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Gonna pretend i didn't read this post so i don't go into manic depression.

Johnson is a beast. he will be fine !!!!

Johnson is a beast. he will be fine !!!!

I agree...... I think everyone was saying that we should rest him until after the bye week anyway so that gives him almost 4 full weeks to still get back to full strength. The Tampa game is starting to look a lot less scary now so I think that game is one we should win even without AJ.

I was listening to the radio bit by Dr. First and he said they clipped AJ's hamstring. I know it attaches in several places but he said that AJ may not have the same explosiveness and power he had before. Does that mean he may never get it back? Did we just sacrifice some of AJs power to try and get him back 2-3 weeks early? Really? CND if you read this please clarify that for me.

Mike

That doesn't sound good at all. Sure hope AJ is the exception and can get back to his pre injury form.

I don't care what others tell me. Returning to 100% is an impossibility after an injury like that. You're NEVER the same after surgery. Any kind of surgery. Period. Maybe close to what you were but never the "same".

I was listening to the radio bit by Dr. First and he said they clipped AJ's hamstring. I know it attaches in several places but he said that AJ may not have the same explosiveness and power he had before. Does that mean he may never get it back? Did we just sacrifice some of AJs power to try and get him back 2-3 weeks early? Really? CND if you read this please clarify that for me.

Mike

It was covered pretty thoroughly in this thread

Supposedly there was a partial tear in one of his tendons which attaches the lower part of his hamstring near his knee. Sounds as if there was a previous surgery that didn't heal 100%, from years back, causing scar tissue that bothered Aj for some time. Aj mentioned a lump in the back of his leg that had been bothering him.

Andre was given two options, to repair the tendon, which would mean 9 weeks or more of recovery, or to cut the tendon completely and be back in 3 to 4 weeks. Just like you & me, Andre could chose whichever procedure he wanted, whether the team pressured him one way or the other really doesn't matter, the decision was ultimately Aj's.

Without the tendon attached, Aj will most likely not have the explosiveness or burst he used to. Aj knew this before the decision was made.

However, it is possible that Aj can have another surgery after the season that should restore him closer to 100% by reattaching the tendon.

That's what I understand anyway.

It was covered pretty thoroughly in this thread

Supposedly there was a partial tear in one of his tendons which attaches the lower part of his hamstring near his knee. Sounds as if there was a previous surgery that didn't heal 100%, from years back, causing scar tissue that bothered Aj for some time. Aj mentioned a lump in the back of his leg that had been bothering him.

Andre was given two options, to repair the tendon, which would mean 9 weeks or more of recovery, or to cut the tendon completely and be back in 3 to 4 weeks. Just like you & me, Andre could chose whichever procedure he wanted, whether the team pressured him one way or the other really doesn't matter, the decision was ultimately Aj's.

Without the tendon attached, Aj will most likely not have the explosiveness or burst he used to. Aj knew this before the decision was made.

However, it is possible that Aj can have another surgery after the season that should restore him closer to 100% by reattaching the tendon.

That's what I understand anyway.

Thanks for the summary man. I looked through that one and they were talking about some vudu platelet **** so I kind of stopped reading after that... decided I was better off asking someone who knew what they meant.

I don't understand because the non-surgical treatment was 8 weeks wasn't it?

Mike

Mike

Thunderkyss gave you a start. I'll try to narrow it down. If you read my posts listed below, you ought understand my line of thinking/analysis of the situation.

From the AJ OUT FOR A FEW WEEKS, HAS PROCEDURE thread:

Look at posts #24, 37 (ignore PCL comments), 270, 273 and 329.

From the CASEY AND AJ WILL PRACTICE THIS WEEK thread:

Look at posts #41 and 58.

That should answer most of your questions.

Thanks for the summary man. I looked through that one and they were talking about some vudu platelet **** so I kind of stopped reading after that... decided I was better off asking someone who knew what they meant.

I don't understand because the non-surgical treatment was 8 weeks wasn't it?

Mike

The risk with this approach was that >40% of non-surgical treatment cases failed and required surgery anyway.

The repair of the tendon would probably require 2 months at least to return to play safely. But the decision was made to simply complete the rupture surgically, believing that it would be a shorter rehab because you wouldn't be concerned with a repair rupturing when trying to return to play. The problem is that the length of rehab with the release procedure has not been entirely and accurately defined in the medical literature, due to factors beyond a surgeon's control, like continued inflammation, scar tissue from the release procedure itself, infection, fluid collection in the area of release and continued long term pain. And this does not even address the morbidity of this procedure leaving that question of residual hamstring weakness and potential permanent partial loss of elite explosiveness.

A 2004 study [EDIT: among others; some have reported resulting knee instability] reported that testing hamstring strength at high degrees of flexion can demonstrate a significant deficit associated with the harvesting of hamstring tendon grafts (as in ACL repairs). In fact in the US, due to the morbidities to the donor site involved in the use of hamstring tendon grafts, the trend has been to instead use allografts (grafts from cadavers)

Last edited:
MODS, it would probably be easier to follow AJ's progress if this thread were merged with the AJ OUT FOR A FEW WEEKS, HAS PROCEDURE. Thanks.

Not surprising at all.

Glazer_original.jpg

If our training/medical staff recommended something like this to AJ to shave a few weeks off his healing time and it ends up jacking up his career for life I would expect some heads to roll ASAP.

I mean AJ just wants to win.. I am sure if someone told him this procedure was safe he would accept it.

Oh yeah I was meaning to ask also CND, is there any long term side effects of having this procedure done, I mean in 20 years is this going to be detrimental to his health as opposed to letting it heal naturally?

wow, has anyone else in sports had a similar procedure?

This is a case where a procedure completes the rupture of a partial tear. The reported experience of sports related complete rupture (which would be close to the equivalent of surgically releasing the hamstring) carries with it a 10+ week recovery if left unrepaired......... if this approach does not fail and requires surgery. It therefore surprises me to think that a "short" recovery was so optimistically and, in my opinion, unrealistically expected to occur.

There is only one case in the orthopedic literature (2006) of this tendon having been surgically released after failed conservative treatment. This was described as "successful," but I could not find if this was in an athlete (especially an elite) or not, or what really defined "successful" or the actual length of "successful" recovery.

If our training/medical staff recommended something like this to AJ to shave a few weeks off his healing time and it ends up jacking up his career for life I would expect some heads to roll ASAP.

I mean AJ just wants to win.. I am sure if someone told him this procedure was safe he would accept it.

Oh yeah I was meaning to ask also CND, is there any long term side effects of having this procedure done, I mean in 20 years is this going to be detrimental to his health as opposed to letting it heal naturally?

If you or I had this procedure done, following the normal healing process, there would be no truly noticeable difference in our everyday activities or in an ordinary "pick up" sports competition. When AJ's professional carrier has ended, it is unlikely that this procedure will have left him with any notable deficits.

Thanks for the info again. I don't want any player to have to deal with long term injuries but with AJ it seems more personal to me I guess since he is going to probably give his entire career to Houston and hes done it with nothing but greatness in every area of his life here. Sounds silly I guess but hey hes earned my respect plus some.

I'm sure AJ was given all the options and had the final say. He's 30 and been in the league 9 years. He may be looking at this as his only chance to help the team get into the playoffs. He may have decided to roll the dice now and go for it, with the option of having further surgery in the off season, rather that have the repair surgery now and not be able to come back at all this season. It's a tough call either way for him and a tough break for the premier WR in the NFL. I hope he makes it back all the way and we give him a run for the Superbowl! :trophy: He deserves it!

Back