Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ out a few weeks, has procedure

GP

Go Texans!
I can tell you precisely what that is--my garbage photoshop skillz. Clone tool, I believe. I was tring to darken over a previous photoshop of something else.
Is that what you have been PAID to say??? Hmmmmm??????

Lies. All of it. I have found the truth! It's THERE!

:evil:

P.S. I spent damn near 20 minutes on that Photoshop job, so next time please tell us that you suck at using the clone tool. My wife did not share my enthusiasm a few seconds ago...and I sure as heck am not telling her the newest intel. :nolisten:

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I can tell you precisely what that is--my garbage photoshop skillz. Clone tool, I believe. I was tring to darken over a previous photoshop of something else.
While I normally give a crap about Texans Talk(ish), I haven't seen the latest on your hubby and the doctor's defense in the Michael Jackson case.... THAT case is WAY more intriguing to me!!!

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
While I normally give a crap about Texans Talk(ish), I haven't seen the latest on your hubby and the doctor's defense in the Michael Jackson case.... THAT case is WAY more intriguing to me!!!
Pursuant to a gag order issued 9/30, I will say "no comment."

disaacks3

Staff member
Well TC, it looks like you're being used as a source for PFT now:

Andre Johnson expected to miss three games
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 5, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Getty ImagesTexans coach Gary Kubiak was rather vague when talking about Andre Johnson’s hamstring injury on Tuesday, but a clearer picture of Johnson’s recovery timeline is starting to emerge.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that Johnson should be back no later than October 30, which means he’d miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and Titans. John Clayton of ESPN reported a similar timeline.

It’s possible Johnson could return for the Titans, but McClain believes the Texans will play it safe to make sure Johnson is fully recovered. McClain also reports that Johnson underwent a “surgical procedure” to prevent scar tissue from forming around a slight tear in his right hamstring.

Stephanie Stradley, who writes a blog for the Chronicle, writes that Johnson received Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy.

We saw with Arian Foster that applying exact timelines to a return from a hamstring injury can be tricky. However long it takes Johnson to return, the Texans must be relieved he’ll be back well before the team’s playoff push.

Now they just need to figure out how to score without Johnson in the lineup.
Link

Andre Johnson expected to miss three games
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 5, 2011, 11:28 AM EDT
Getty ImagesTexans coach Gary Kubiak was rather vague when talking about Andre Johnson’s hamstring injury on Tuesday, but a clearer picture of Johnson’s recovery timeline is starting to emerge.

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that Johnson should be back no later than October 30, which means he’d miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and Titans. John Clayton of ESPN reported a similar timeline.

It’s possible Johnson could return for the Titans, but McClain believes the Texans will play it safe to make sure Johnson is fully recovered. McClain also reports that Johnson underwent a “surgical procedure” to prevent scar tissue from forming around a slight tear in his right hamstring.

Stephanie Stradley, who writes a blog for the Chronicle, writes that Johnson received Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Therapy.

We saw with Arian Foster that applying exact timelines to a return from a hamstring injury can be tricky. However long it takes Johnson to return, the Texans must be relieved he’ll be back well before the team’s playoff push.

Now they just need to figure out how to score without Johnson in the lineup.

Permalink 25 Comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
Email
Andre Johnson did undergo surgery
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 6, 2011, 10:51 AM EDT
APA report surfaced from Stephanie Stradley of the Houston Chronicle’s website on Wednesday that Texans receiver Andre Johnson underwent Platelet-Rich Plasma therapy earlier this week.

The Texans called it a “procedure” which seemed odd at the time, but Stradley has now issued a correction. Johnson, in fact, did undergo surgery on distal tendon of his hamstring.

The anticipated recovery time for Johnson remains three weeks. It’s hard to imagine you could return from any surgery on the hamstring faster than that, but the reality is that no one in the media knows much of anything when it comes to recovery timelines.

GP

Go Texans!
UPDATE: AJ says he will miss 2 weeks. Cleaned up scarring from previous injuries/trauma.

In short: There is no major injury. He felt pain, was scared, went down to try and limit the damage...and he's practically ready to go but being restricted just to make sure.

Or at least that's the cover story....

Link to espn.go.com story here.

HOUSTON -- Texans star receiver Andre Johnson expects to be out a couple of weeks after a minor procedure to repair a right hamstring injury.

Johnson said he is scheduled to get the stitches from two incisions removed early next week.

"I wish I could go out there and try to run around today to see how it feels," he said Friday. "But I have to just wait until I get the stitches out and then I'll go all out."

The five-time Pro Bowl selection says he has felt great since Tuesday's procedure and is confident he will be back soon. He described himself as a fast healer.

"I haven't felt any pain with any of the exercises I've been doing ... so I'm pretty pumped," he said. "I've been bending my leg and everything. The only thing that really bothers me a little bit is where I have the stitches. So I think once I can get those out and the cuts close up I'll be fine."

The Texans (3-1) host Oakland (2-2) on Sunday and then play at Baltimore on Oct. 16.

Johnson was injured Sunday in a win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He recounted his thoughts when he was hurt after catching a pass in the second quarter without being touched.

"I was scared," he said. "I really couldn't explain what it was, I just felt pain. You see I was grabbing my leg when I was on the ground."

Johnson isn't walking with any sort of a limp, a fact that has caused several coaches to comment on the "pep in his step" this week. He said an old injury led to a "pretty big lump" of scar tissue that had been causing pain behind his knee off and on for some time.

"I had a lot of scarring around my tendon and that was the irritation that everything was coming from, so they had to go in and clean it up," he said.

Johnson has 25 catches for 352 yards this season to lead the team. Jacoby Jones will fill in for Johnson this week and the Texans can also go to tight end Owen Daniels, who has 14 receptions for 182 yards and three scores.

"We're being challenged right now from a numbers standpoint as a football team," coach Gary Kubiak said. "That's what this league is about -- trying to find a way each week to regroup and put your best group on the field to win another game. We've got to pass the test."

Johnson hates sitting out when the Texans are playing so well. But he believes the team is better equipped to deal with his absence than in the past when he was injured.

"The whole attitude of the team is totally different than it used to be," he said. "Of course you don't want to lose anybody, but at the same time we know what's at stake for the team. Guys are going to go out and get the job done."

disaacks3

Staff member
UPDATE: AJ says he will miss 2 weeks. Cleaned up scarring from previous injuries/trauma.

In short: There is no major injury. He felt pain, was scared, went down to try and limit the damage...and he's practically ready to go but being restricted just to make sure.

Or at least that's the cover story....

Link to espn.go.com story here.
God I hope that story is accurate. I'd love him to miss only two games.

Texans_Chick

Utopian Dreamer
Texans entire quote sheet:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Friday-practice/fc9694aa-f2ac-4469-951f-97560a03077d

We tend to get more BS from staff than from players, especially AJ

WR Andre Johnson
(on how he’s feeling) “I’m feeling pretty good. Walking around since the little minor procedure was done. I’ve been walking ever since it was done. I’m feeling pretty good. I have to wait a few days to just get the stitches out and then once I get the stitches out, I can go all out and see where I’m at.”

(on if he was nervous about the procedure) “When you have something like that done, you definitely worry about how fast it’s going to heal, but the way I’m feeling right now and just the way the rehab is going, as far as my rehab, I haven’t felt any pain with any of the exercises I’ve been doing. I’ve been walking around normal. Actually, I’m pretty pumped. I wish I could go out there and try to run around today to see how it feels, but I have to just wait to get the stitches out and then we’ll go all out once the stitches come out.”

(on when he’ll be able to play again) “If I had to pick a date, I would give it a couple weeks. You really can’t put a timeframe on it. Just my gut feeling right now, I would give it a couple weeks.”

(on if he feels like he’s a fast healer) “Yeah, this is probably the, out of any procedure I’ve ever had done, this is the probably the best I’ve felt after I’ve had one done. I’m pretty confident about this one. Like I said, I’m pretty pumped. Just can’t wait to get these stitches out, so I can get to rolling.”

(on how many stitches he has) “They had to make two incisions and I’m not sure how many stitches are back there, but I have two cuts.”

(on the process to prevent scar tissue and speed up the healing) “This just went in. I had a lot of scarring around my tendon. That’s what the irritation and everything was coming from, so they had to go in and clean it out, clean it up. They went in, cleaned it up and that was pretty much it.”

(on if he feels good about his rehab) “I do. Like I said, the way I feel, I haven’t been feeling any pain doing the rehab. I’ve been on the bike. With all those things, I haven’t felt any pain. I’ve been walking around. I’ve been bending my leg and everything. I haven’t felt any pain, any soreness or anything. The only thing that really bothers me a little bit is where I have the stitches. I think once I can get those out and the cuts close up, then I’ll be fine. I think that’s why I’m so pumped about it. I feel very comfortable.”

(on what he thought when he went down in the game) “I really didn’t know. I was scared. I really couldn’t explain what it was. I just felt pain. You could see I was grabbing my leg when I was laying on the ground. We went and got the MRI and got the problem fixed, so I won’t have to deal with it again.”

(on if he’s surprised by how good he feels now) “Yeah, he told me I’d feel a lot better. At first when he told me, I’m like ‘Nah, I don’t think it’ll feel that way after the procedure,’ but he didn’t lie to me. I feel real good. Like I said, I’m walking around. Even when some of the coaches see me, they see like a pep in my step. They wish I could be out there, but it’s a process we have to go through and I’m going to keep doing what I need to do to be ready as fast as possible.”

(on how hard it is for him to have to miss games) “It’s hard, especially the way we’re playing as a team. When I came in the locker room after I got injured, that was the first thing I thought about. To have something like this happen, it’s a bad feeling, but at the same time, it’s a part of the game and I think it’ll make us stronger as a football team and I think it makes me much better as a player. I get to sit back and watch this week. Who knows what could happen next week after the stitches are removed and we just keep moving forward.”

(on what caused the scar tissue) “I think it was just from an old injury. I’ve had problems with feeling pain behind my knee before. After talking to the doctor’s assistant, he asked me did I ever have an old injury before and he was telling me, that’s what he thinks the scarring was coming from, came from an old injury because it had actually built up. It was a pretty big lump of it.”

(on if there will be significant benefits to the procedure beyond repairing the leg) “Yeah, it bothered me a little bit during training camp. Then it went away. Then it came back again and I went down in the game against Pittsburgh. Like I said, I’m just glad that it’s over with, it’s fixed and I can move on.”

(on if this is the best the Texans have been prepared to play without him) “I just think that our team as a whole, the whole attitude of the team is totally different than it used to be. Of course, you don’t want to lose anybody, but at the same time, we know what’s at stake for our team. Guys are going to go out and get the job done. It’ll be hard watching on the sidelines Sunday, but like I said, I’m going to do everything I can to hurry up and get back out on the field.”

(on if he will be back two weeks from now) “I don’t know. That just depends on how I feel once the stitches come out.”

(on what the doctor told him) “Well, he told me once the stitches come out, I can just go for it. I think I’m a fast healer.”

(on when the stitches will come out) “They’re going to check on them in like five days, so we’ll see from there.”

(on if he can’t run until the stitches are out) “No, I can turn up my treatment a little bit more starting Monday, so I’ll be going a little bit harder Monday. We’ll see what they have for me when I get in on Monday.”

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Yeah, with any luck he's just held out one game and kicks ass in practice next game enough to go into Baltimore. Just having him in the game is critical. Would love to have him line up but not even thrown to that much.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So if it never was a hamstring, then we're good right? When he comes back he'll be back 100%

EllisUnit

Vote RED!!!
im glad to hear it from AJ, BUT he said he went down to be cautious cause he felt a little pain, TO ME he looked like he was in a lot of pain. I know i didnt imagine that, so i am still a bit confused, but i will believe AJ if he says it.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Yeah, with any luck he's just held out one game and kicks ass in practice next game enough to go into Baltimore. Just having him in the game is critical. Would love to have him line up but not even thrown to that much.
I don't get this thinking. If he can't go full speed, it won't take the Ravens - especially with the defensive wisdom of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis watching to see how he performes - to note that AJ isn't the threat he would be if fully healed. The "fear factor" you're hoping AJ will bring will probably last the first 2 or 3 offensive series. By then, they'll have figured out AJ isn't on his "A-game" or that we're not coming his way too often.

Plus I'd rather have him as close to fully healed as possible. If that takes an extra week or two, so be it.

Finally, it's time for the rest of the offense to grow up and step up. I don't want to see them implode because one guy went down. They need to show that they can keep things rolling the right way until the big man returns. ...just like they did when Foster was out.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I don't get this thinking. If he can't go full speed, it won't take the Ravens - especially with the defensive wisdom of Ed Reed and Ray Lewis watching to see how he performes - to note that AJ isn't the threat he would be if fully healed. The "fear factor" you're hoping AJ will bring will probably last the first 2 or 3 offensive series. By then, they'll have figured out AJ isn't on his "A-game" or that we're not coming his way too often.

Plus I'd rather have him as close to fully healed as possible. If that takes an extra week or two, so be it.

Finally, it's time for the rest of the offense to grow up and step up. I don't want to see them implode because one guy went down. They need to show that they can keep things rolling the right way until the big man returns. ...just like they did when Foster was out.

Agreed. I hate hamstring injuries because they can linger and linger and linger if not properly healed right. Keep him out until he is 110%. Losing one guy shouldn't stop this offense when you've got Foster at RB. The worst thing the Texans could do is to bring him back to early and then he's hurt off and on the rest of the season or only at like 80% the rest of the way. Plus, if we make the playoffs, I want a fully healthy AJ for that run.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Well yeah, but it's not just "one guy" down. It's the best receiver in the league and the best player in franchise history in his prime.

GP

Go Texans!
im glad to hear it from AJ, BUT he said he went down to be cautious cause he felt a little pain, TO ME he looked like he was in a lot of pain. I know i didnt imagine that, so i am still a bit confused, but i will believe AJ if he says it.
Actually, if you based that on what I posted (my own "re-cap" of what AJ said) then I must say that I might have mishandled what he said.

I said he went down to limit damage, but I think I was inferring (picking up on what he was trying to say) but that's not really a good, solid explanation by me. My bad. I take ownership of that, it was a slip-up on my end in the process of editorializing his comments.

He felt pain, he went down, and he had no idea what had happened. Come to find out, it was scarring and likely the associated "pain" issues with the previous injury that had caused the scarring in the first place.

Like I said, either this is what happened...or AJ, the docs, and the Texans are putting on one helluva' scam on everyone. I prefer to believe it is the latter and we'll see him either in the Ravens game (a week earlier than forecasted) or in the 2nd week like he reported.

Joe Texan

Inducted 04
Dude I see a bunch of owe woes me Andre is out he needs to hurry back we are through if he doesnt crybaby crap. Andre is hurt and if it is a hammy and he needs to rest for about 5 weeks so he can be full strenghth come the last part of the season. I give us a 100% ability to beat the Raiders and the Ravens in Ravens nest. This team is strong and we might be one less great player, but we need to step up and take the reins and score some points. I gurantee every last one of you sad sacs that we will not fold up like the colts have because of one player. Hello we got other recievers and they have had pretty good luck also so give a team a chance.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Response to a post from another Thread:

FWIW, Kenneth First reported on 610 this morning that AJ's injured hamstring was clipped off. And, he contended that if this were the Super Bowl, he'd be playing on Sunday, but he feels they'll hold him out until the Tennessee game.
For those who may be interested in looking into the facts of this subject in somewhat greater depth:

As it turn out, AJ had a partial tear of one of the distal hamstring tendons.....the semitendinosus tendon. It is one of the small hamstring muscles. Evidently, because of "debilitating" pain or other signs or symptoms, AJ's surgery was performed to complete the tear, essentially converting it to a complete rupture.........instantly relieving the pain.

It is commonly said that this small hamstring needs not to be repaired, since the bigger hamstring muscles will compensate for it loss. The use of this tendon for ACL reconstruction is commonly cited as proof that the lack of this tendon/muscle leaves no debility. The truth is that many times only portions of the tendon are harvested rather than the entire tendon. Even with this approach, studies have documented that this leads to a loss of knee flexor strength and impaired dynamic stability. Even though it has been shown that the medial hamstring tendons regenerate in most cases after harvesting, the regenerated neotendon tends to have impaired biomechanical properties compared with the original semitendinosus tendon. In actuality, regeneration of the semitendinosus tendon has never been shown to occur after a traumatic rupture.

Although I believe that Dr. First mentioned that the release of this tendon following partial tear has not been described as such before, there is exactly such a paper published in 2005 authored by a UK orthopedic surgeon entitled Partial rupture of the distal semitendinosus tendon treated by tenotomy [release]-A previously undescribed entity. This was performed only after conservative means failed.

AJ's surgery was meant to shorten the healing/return to play time, which would have been required for conservative nonsurgical approach or surgical repair approach, neither which would have likely been less than 2 - 3 months at best. So a sort of gamble was taken. But will this roll of the dice work out the way it has been planned? Or will it result in a short term fix with long term compromise of "elite" hamstring strength/performance (not unlike the clipping/completing of Favre's biceps tear so he could return to the field of play quickly, with the pain relieved, albeit significantly compromised). What's interesting is that the indications for repair of the semitendinosus tendon following complete rupture is pain, weakness, stiffness and instability of the knee joint, especially in athletes. We all will hope that AJ does not fall into this pattern.:texflag:

Texn4life

All Pro

For those who may be interested in looking into the facts of this subject in somewhat greater depth:

As it turn out, AJ had a partial tear of one of the distal hamstring tendons.....the semitendinosus tendon. It is one of the small hamstring muscles. Evidently, because of "debilitating" pain or other signs or symptoms, AJ's surgery was performed to complete the tear, essentially converting it to a complete rupture.........instantly relieving the pain.

It is commonly said that this small hamstring needs not to be repaired, since the bigger hamstring muscles will compensate for it loss. The use of this tendon for ACL reconstruction is commonly cited as proof that the lack of this tendon/muscle leaves no debility. The truth is that many times only portions of the tendon are harvested rather than the entire tendon. Even with this approach, studies have documented that this leads to a loss of knee flexor strength and impaired dynamic stability. Even though it has been shown that the medial hamstring tendons regenerate in most cases after harvesting, the regenerated neotendon tends to have impaired biomechanical properties compared with the original semitendinosis tendon. In actuality, regeneration of the semitendinosis tendon has never been shown to occur after a traumatic rupture.

Although I believe that Dr. First mentioned that the release of this tendon following partial tear has not been described as such before, there is exactly such a paper published in 2005 authored by a UK orthopedic surgeon entitled Partial rupture of the distal semitendinosus tendon treated by tenotomy [release]—A previously undescribed entity. This was performed only after conservative means failed.

AJ's surgery was meant to shorten the healing/return to play time, which would have been required for conservative nonsurgical approach or surgical repair approach, neither which would have likely been less than 2 months and 3 months respectively at best. So a sort of gamble was taken. But will this roll of the dice work out the way it has been planned? Or will it result in a short term fix with long term compromise of "elite" hamstring strength/performance (not unlike the clipping/completing of Favre's biceps tear so he could return to the field of play quickly, with the pain relieved, albeit significantly compromised). What's interesting is that the indications for repair of the semitendinosus tendon following complete rupture is pain, weakness, stiffness and instability of the knee joint, especially in athletes. We all will hope that AJ does not fall into this pattern.:texflag:

I think I blanked out during the 2nd paragraph. Good stuff though!

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

It is commonly said that this small hamstring needs not to be repaired, since the bigger hamstring muscles will compensate for it loss. The use of this tendon for ACL reconstruction is commonly cited as proof that the lack of this tendon/muscle leaves no debility. The truth is that many times only portions of the tendon are harvested rather than the entire tendon. Even with this approach, studies have documented that this leads to a loss of knee flexor strength and impaired dynamic stability. Even though it has been shown that the medial hamstring tendons regenerate in most cases after harvesting, the regenerated neotendon tends to have impaired biomechanical properties compared with the original semitendinosus tendon. In actuality, regeneration of the semitendinosus tendon has never been shown to occur after a traumatic rupture.

Although I believe that Dr. First mentioned that the release of this tendon following partial tear has not been described as such before, there is exactly such a paper published in 2005 authored by a UK orthopedic surgeon entitled Partial rupture of the distal semitendinosus tendon treated by tenotomy [release]—A previously undescribed entity. This was performed only after conservative means failed.

AJ's surgery was meant to shorten the healing/return to play time, which would have been required for conservative nonsurgical approach or surgical repair approach, neither which would have likely been less than 2 - 3 months at best. So a sort of gamble was taken. But will this roll of the dice work out the way it has been planned? Or will it result in a short term fix with long term compromise of "elite" hamstring strength/performance (not unlike the clipping/completing of Favre's biceps tear so he could return to the field of play quickly, with the pain relieved, albeit significantly compromised). What's interesting is that the indications for repair of the semitendinosus tendon following complete rupture is pain, weakness, stiffness and instability of the knee joint, especially in athletes. We all will hope that AJ does not fall into this pattern.:texflag:
That sounds like a really bad thing. So if the gamble doesn't pay off are we looking at an AJ that comes back at 75-80% of his former self and doesn't really ever return to form??
:mcnugget:

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
That sounds like a really bad thing. So if the gamble doesn't pay off are we looking at an AJ that comes back at 75-80% of his former self and doesn't really ever return to form??
:mcnugget:
I hope not. But it is certainly possible that he returns somewhat "compromised" (I'm not willing to assign an exact %) on both counts.....if the former or latter scenario manifests, it is possible that they plan for this to be only a temporary fix to get him back on the field quickly this season....possibly entertaining going back and reattaching the tendon in the offseason when he is allowed the significant recovery time necessary for surgical recovery. Only time will tell.

edo783

Hall of Fame
....if the former or latter scenario manifests, it is possible that they plan for this to be only a temporary fix to get him back on the field quickly this season....possibly entertaining going back and reattaching the tendon in the offseason when he is allowed the significant recovery time necessary for surgical recovery. Only time will tell.
I suspect that is the route they are taking.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hope not. But it is certainly possible that he returns somewhat "compromised" (I'm not willing to assign an exact %) on both counts.....if the former or latter scenario manifests, it is possible that they plan for this to be only a temporary fix to get him back on the field quickly this season....possibly entertaining going back and reattaching the tendon in the offseason when he is allowed the significant recovery time necessary for surgical recovery. Only time will tell.
I could see AJ thinking this is best chance he has had to go deep into playoffs and agreeing to a quick fix to get him back on field. "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today." What happens if Tuesday comes and you can't play er pay?

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
They just said on 790 AJ said he wont be back for the Titans game and could be out 6 weeks....:pissed: :(
This makes me fear the worst. Not that the Texans won't win a lot of games without AJ, but now injuries to AJ and Mario plus strike shortened pre-season gives Uncle Bop a reason to bring his favorite boy back next season.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
The luck being a soft schedule and crappy division is still winnable with all these injuries. Or should be, at least.
Should be but let's see what happens. This team will not win if the opposing defenses key in on Arian and we can't get the run game going.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Should be but let's see what happens. This team will not win if the opposing defenses key in on Arian and we can't get the run game going.
Then keep the defense honest with passing. If the Texans are a good team, then they should be able to do that.