Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

AJ out a few weeks, has procedure

Ben Tate and Ward

I say the team just transforms into a grind it out defensive team. Splitting carries between Tate and Foster and Ward that's a great run game right there and enough ball control offense to win games and force teams to pass.

Really everyone needs to step up, defense etc etc but really on offense the run game needs to be unstoppable to open up the pass game.

I think we can survive, just that we are likely to lose against Baltimore but we could still have lost to them with AJ.

I might need someone to spell this out for me. So we know he had a procedure on his hamstring. But we do not know if its a muscle or tendon tear. CND is leaning toward a tendon tear which could mean longer than 2 or 3 weeks?

You are correct.

Think back to Rashad Butler when he was listed in week 3 injury report as "elbow." During this time he was participating in "limited practice." Then one day, he is classified as "out" with a triceps rupture. How does an elbow problem translate / lead to a triceps rupture? Because, all along, he had a triceps TENDON problem. The triceps tendon attaches to the elbow and an tendon tear essentially led to a total rupture near or at the boney attachment.

Similarly, the distal hamstring tendon attaches to the lower leg bone in the back of the knee. AJ grabbed the back of his knee, not the belly of his hamstring muscle which is the classic reaction to a muscle tear. A muscle tear classically results in excrutiatingly painful spasm of the torn muscle. Walking is noticeably affected, many times not possible. A distal tendon tear may not be very painful after immediate tear unless stressed and may result in relatively normal gait. All of this goes into my analysis from the perspective of an "outsider" looking in.

You are correct.

Think back to Rashad Butler when he was listed in week 3 injury report as "elbow." During this time he was participating in "limited practice." Then one day, he is classified as "out" with a triceps rupture. How does an elbow problem translate / lead to a triceps rupture? Because, all along, he had a triceps TENDON problem. The triceps tendon attaches to the elbow and an tendon tear essentially led to a total rupture near or at the boney attachment.

Similarly, the distal hamstring tendon attaches to the lower leg bone in the back of the knee. AJ grabbed the back of his knee, not the belly of his hamstring muscle which is the classic reaction to a muscle tear. A muscle tear classically results in excrutiatingly painful spasm of the torn muscle. Walking is noticeably affected, sometimes not possible. A distal tendon tear may not be very painful after immediate tear unless stressed and may result in relatively normal gait. All of this goes into my analysis from the perspective of an "outsider" looking in.

So do you think the team is lying to use then ? Cause he had MRIs, and he has surgery to remove scar tissue so it heals faster ! Does this mean the MRI and doctors are all wrong our is the team lying to us ?

So do you think the team is lying to use then ? Cause he had MRIs, and he has surgery to remove scar tissue so it heals faster ! Does this mean the MRI and doctors are all wrong our is the team lying to us ?

What I'm saying without having inside info on this is that there are so many things in this story that don't make too much sense.

All of this medical talk makes my head hurt. Very informative, but way over my head. Thanks for all of the great insight though CND! Hope Andre has as quick a recovery as possible. Now let's go grab a vet who can come make some plays for us.

Looks like we're gonna need to start relying on our D a lot more. I am encouraged after the 4th quater on Sunday, and it's not like we're gonna face any more Drew Breeses the rest of the year.

What I'm saying without having inside info on this is that there are so many things in this story that don't make too much sense.
I barely have non-medical insight and I'm boggled.
Wouldn't a surgery to prevent scar tissue cause scar tissue since scar tissue is caused by injury/surgery? From my many rehab courses, we worked, post surgically, to keep flexability and range of motion in affected joints. I did a lot of pre-surgery exercises to promote flexability and range of motion, but never even heard of preventive surgery to lessen the probability of scar tissue. Granted, that's only through 6 orthopedic procedures in the last 10 years. I need a few more, so maybe it's changed.

So I guess they didn't cut him right? Some other procedure? 3 weeks is fast for surgery.

Unless they are purposely including surgery in the word "medical" for "protective" reasons, the most likely procedure is platelet rich plasma injections, which despite having an avid anecdotal following, has had no proven consistency in the medical literature.

You may wish to read this NEW YORK TIMES review article :
Popular Blood Therapy May Not Work

Link:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1575/andre-johnson

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports Andre Johnson will miss three weeks after undergoing a procedure to prevent scar tissue and "speed the recovery" of his hamstring.

Hamstring surgeries typically require a much longer recovery period, but Johnson's procedure seems more like a cutting-edge platelet-rich plasma therapy. He's not having the tendon re-attached to the bone, rather expediting the recovery process. Johnson will miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and likely the Titans over the next three weeks, aiming for a return against the Jags in Week 8. Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter will start this week, though Owen Daniels will likely be the No. 1 weapon in the passing game. Oct 4 - 6:47 PM
Source: Houston Chronicle

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports Andre Johnson will miss three weeks after undergoing a procedure to prevent scar tissue and "speed the recovery" of his hamstring.

Hamstring surgeries typically require a much longer recovery period, but Johnson's procedure seems more like a cutting-edge platelet-rich plasma therapy. He's not having the tendon re-attached to the bone, rather expediting the recovery process. Johnson will miss games against the Raiders, Ravens, and likely the Titans over the next three weeks, aiming for a return against the Jags in Week 8. Jacoby Jones and Kevin Walter will start this week, though Owen Daniels will likely be the No. 1 weapon in the passing game. Oct 4 - 6:47 PM
Source: Houston Chronicle

Thanks for your post, GhostRaide.

Finally.........affirmation of my diagnosis of the DISTAL HAMSTRING TENDON TORN FROM THE BONE.

I've already posted the healing period expected without surgery.

Well, I wish him the best but I think 3 weeks is pretty optomistic. AJ is the man and if anybody could do it, it would be him.

And please, quit acting like he is triple teamed every down. They might lean towards him in zones, they might double team on big plays but he's not climbing over a wall of DB's to make every catch...The other guys on this team that get paid to make offense happen are pretty good too.

Everyone needs to stop being so pessimistic, it's 2011, it would not be a big deal for him to recover within 3 weeks. I bet if playoffs were around the corner, number 80 could suit up within 2 weeks.

We have a top defense and arguably the best rushing attack in the league, we can man the fort until aj is back. Rally behind the troops ppl and stop feeling so down and thinking everyone's out to get us.

Finally.........affirmation of my diagnosis of the DISTAL HAMSTRING TENDON TORN FROM THE BONE.

Can you please elaborate on this new release/diagnosis? Are they saying he has a tendon torn from his bone? How can you even play like that, much less run around? I don't get how a player can tear a tendon from his bone and be back on a football field in 3 weeks. Is that even possible? Also was the "procedure" that they did perform today, done just to allow him to take a shortcut from I.R. but he'll have to go back and have actual surgery during the offseason?

All this stuff is like WHOOSH! right over my head. :vincepalm:

Everyone needs to stop being so pessimistic, it's 2011, it would not be a big deal for him to recover within 3 weeks. I bet if playoffs were around the corner, number 80 could suit up within 2 weeks.

We have a top defense and arguably the best rushing attack in the league, we can man the fort until aj is back. Rally behind the troops ppl and stop feeling so down and thinking everyone's out to get us.

??? what are you talking about. Who here is talking about people "being out to get us".

This is a potentially serious injury to our franchise player, if you want to bury your head in the sand and act like there's nothing to be worried about then go right on ahead. The rest of us will be concerned about our franchise player until we see him looking like his old self back out on the football field again...especially with the Texans' history of hiding/SEVERELY underselling the severity of player injuries.

How's that?
It would be more intuitive for larger(more important) tendons and ligaments to have a better blood supply than smaller, less significant ones. Tendons are physiologically different than ligaments in that they need a better blood supply to exist. Ligaments are oftem much more isolated from the blood supply by the very nature of their job tham a tendon is. Having said that, I've witnessed far too many "firings" of horses tendons to promote blood supply.

My blog post on this.

Andre Johnson’s leg injury…hello, panicky speculation [UPDATE about procedure]

I'm pretty sure it is Platelet-Rich Plasma treatment. I know for a fact he had it done on his ankle last year. I know that the Texans use PRP. They didn't say it was a surgery. And there are very few things I can think of that you could do to a hamstring to encourage healing through a procedure.

What I don't know is his return because we don't know how severe the hamstring injury is or any specifics. Texans have underestimated AJ return times in the past, most notably in 2007.

Can you please elaborate on this new release/diagnosis? Are they saying he has a tendon torn from his bone? How can you even play like that, much less run around? I don't get how a player can tear a tendon from his bone and be back on a football field in 3 weeks. Is that even possible? Also was the "procedure" that they did perform today, done just to allow him to take a shortcut from I.R. but he'll have to go back and have actual surgery during the offseason?

All this stuff is like WHOOSH! right over my head. :vincepalm:

I've explained the answers to your question in past posts.

I will repost this old post .

He said that he could be back in a few days or a few weeks..........will get some additional 2nd opinions.

This makes me think that the 2nd opinions are to determine whether to take a non-surgical vs surgical approach. In other words, I believe that the MRI may have already identified a subtotal tear or complete tear/avulsion of the distal hamstring tendon (or the PCL). With a distal hamstring avulsion, there has been controversy whether to surgically repair or not.

Most hamstring tears/avulsions occur more proximal as in this illustration.

A00408F02.jpg

(See my previous post showing the distal hamstring tendon attachments.)

One study published in the past few years reported on elite athletes with this type of injury. They found that in the nonoperative treatment group (12), 7 players recovered at an average of 10.4 weeks (range, 3-35). Five of these players (42%) failed initial nonoperative treatment (mean, 16.8 weeks) and subsequently had surgery to resect the torn tendon and surrounding scar tissue. These 5 players recovered at an average of 12.8 weeks postoperatively. In the acute [immediate] surgery group, 5 players had surgery to resect the torn tendon and scar tissue within 4 weeks of injury. The acute-phase group had an average recovery of 6.8 weeks after surgery.

I believe that this is possibly the dilemma facing AJ and the organization. Making a decision that at least gets him back before the end of the season or playoffs.

Again, let me emphasize that I have no access to the findings, physical or radiological. But if this were just a straight forward "minor" hamstring problems, I don't believe that there would be need for several 2nd opinions.

Let me leave you with this article that appeared after an MRI was obtained in 2007 following AJ's PCL/MCL injury. You might want to compare some of the wording.
Sprained knee may keep Johnson out vs. Colts

By Megan Manfull - Houston Chronicle

Andre Johnson, who hurt his left knee Sunday against the Carolina Panthers, is doubtful to play for the Texans when the team plays the Indianapolis Colts this Sunday at Reliant Stadium. The Texans had an MRI done on Johnson's knee Monday morning and it revealed a sprain.

"I would say that he is doubtful for that football game," Kubiak said. "We'll know more in the next couple of days. There was no swelling, but there's definitely a sprain there. It's a concern right now."

The initial diagnosis was that Johnson had strained his posterior cruciate ligament. He hurt it during a big hit that followed his last catch a 10-yard grab with 11:58 to go in the game.

"He has a knee sprain," Kubiak said. "That's the good news and the bad news. We feel fortunate. Andre is going to be fine. Is he going to be fine in one week? Or is he going to be fine in four weeks? We're still in the evaluation stage. We don't know."

Johnson currently ranks fourth in the league with 262 receiving yards on 14 catches. The next most productive receiver on the team is rookie Jacoby Jones with 33 receiving yards on two catches. Kevin Walter has two catches for 17 yards.

If Johnson can't go on Sunday, Andre' Davis will be activated.

AJ ending up missing 7 games..........

No. No tendon torn from bone report.

I've visited with the Rotoworld writer. They just take info from McClain's report. Roto-writer told me he made a mistake to reference surgery. McClain or Berman have no details on extent of injury. They are just referencing hamstring injury + a procedure to aid healing.

One study published in the past few years reported on elite athletes with this type of injury. They found that in the nonoperative treatment group (12), 7 players recovered at an average of 10.4 weeks (range, 3-35). Five of these players (42%) failed initial nonoperative treatment (mean, 16.8 weeks) and subsequently had surgery to resect the torn tendon and surrounding scar tissue. These 5 players recovered at an average of 12.8 weeks postoperatively. In the acute [immediate] surgery group, 5 players had surgery to resect the torn tendon and scar tissue within 4 weeks of injury. The acute-phase group had an average recovery of 6.8 weeks after surgery.

So nonoperative treatment has an average recovery period of 10.4 weeks? But immediate surgery has an average recovery period time of 6.8 weeks? Can you explain why the Texans doctors aren't opting for immediate surgery?

I'm pretty sure in 2005 when he had a calf/back of knee leg problem, (LEFT LEG) where he missed two games, he had a second opinion. I was at an event and AJ showed up late coming back from an out of state dr opinion.

Until JoeTexan weighs in on this, we should all just stop jumping to conclusions.

It would be more intuitive for larger(more important) tendons and ligaments to have a better blood supply than smaller, less significant ones. Tendons are physiologically different than ligaments in that they need a better blood supply to exist. Ligaments are oftem much more isolated from the blood supply by the very nature of their job tham a tendon is. Having said that, I've witnessed far too many "firings" of horses tendons to promote blood supply.

Muscle has a vast number and large blood vessels running all along their outside borders as well as well distributed throughout their bulk. They are VERY well blood supplied.

Tendons have very much smaller blood vessels that essential run along their borders with virtually none running within their substance. Therefore, the greater the size of the tendon, the further away from the supplying blood vessel on the surface, and hence a very much greater lack of blood supply getting to the deeper substance.

I hope that answers your question.

So nonoperative treatment has an average recovery period of 10.4 weeks? But immediate surgery has an average recovery period time of 6.8 weeks? Can you explain why the Texans doctors aren't opting for immediate surgery?

I really don't think we have enough information to guess what sort of "hamstring issue" AJ has. McClain/Berman not specific on injury. Nobody else has the info. I'm pretty sure that he had PRP treatment because he had before and through process of elimination based on what we know.

Sorry, Lucky. I wish I could. But I'm at a loss for understanding their choice of approach.

Sorry, Lucky. I wish I could. But I'm at a loss for understanding their choice of approach.

I don't think that his injury is serious enough to require surgical repair. Rotoworld report only one that mentions surgery and their writer noted to me that he made a mistake misreading McClain's report thinking it said surgery.

I really don't think we have enough information to guess what sort of "hamstring issue" AJ has. McClain/Berman not specific on injury. Nobody else has the info. I'm pretty sure that he had PRP treatment because he had before and through process of elimination based on what we know.

Where there's smoke there's fire....why is McClain even talking about a torn tendon if they have no clue of what's going on?

I really REALLY hate our sports journalist in this city. This might as well be B.F.E, Texas U.S.A. The caliber of sports reporting would be exactly the same.

Oh I completely understand their choice of approach. When there's multiple choices available, always pick the incompetent one...it's what this team does. They consistently mishandle injuries on this team...just look at Arian.

I don't think that his injury is serious enough to require surgical repair. Rotoworld report only one that mentions surgery and their writer noted to me that he made a mistake misreading McClain's report thinking it said surgery.

Thank you for your research. From the available info, the distal tendon being torn is most likely. As I posted prior to you joining us, I agree with you that if a "medical procedure" was performed , it was most likely PRP injections

Things are very screwy and difficult to trust when one report by McClain specifies "medical procedure" then a following update (9:35 pm) of the article states:

Depending on how fast he recovers after undergoing a surgical procedure to prevent scar tissue from forming around a slight tear in his right hamstring, there's an outside chance Johnson might be ready for the Oct. 23 game against the Titans.
link

Thank you for your research. From the available info, the distal tendon being torn is most likely. As I posted prior to you joining us, I agree with you that if a "medical procedure" was performed , it was most likely PRP injections

Things are very screwy and difficult to trust when one report by McClain specifies "medical procedure" then a following update (9:35 pm) of the article states:

link

Interesting. I will see what I can find out. Is it surgical procedure or mistaken reference. Perhaps aspirating a pocket of blood? Reduce scar tissue but doesn't really aid recovery. What surgical procedure could have him ready by Titans game? BTW agents reference to HIPAA is joke- not relevant to discussion.

Oh I completely understand their choice of approach. When there's multiple choices available, always pick the incompetent one...it's what this team does. They consistently mishandle injuries on this team...just look at Arian.

Aint this the truth. Wish I could rep you.

Who on this MB has faith in the Texans medical staff? I'm calling you out Dr. Lowe

How the Texans have downplayed injuries from Boselli to Joppru to DDW to AF to AJ is flat out sickening to me.

Funny you should say that. I was driving in the car listening to sports radio and was thinking the same thing. I was wondering about our strength conditioning and medical team. We seem to have a lot of injuries, and then seem to bungle the recovery of most of them.

Interesting. I will see what I can find out. Is it surgical procedure or mistaken reference. Perhaps aspirating a pocket of blood? Reduce scar tissue but doesn't really aid recovery. What surgical procedure could have him ready by Titans game? BTW agents reference to HIPAA is joke- not relevant to discussion.

Draining a hematoma after 48 hours would likely require incisional (surgical) drainage since it would likely be clotted by then. Aspiration would be expected right after its formation or about 10 days later when it usually begins liquifying. Being able to remove a pocket of blood (hematoma) could theoretically lessen the inflammatory effects on the surrounding tissues and lessen the morbidity during healing, rather than allow it to absorb naturally over time. Whatever accurate info you can obtain would be nice. Your sources still may not be willing to finger the problem. Good luck (sincerely).:tiphat:

Aint this the truth. Wish I could rep you.

Who on this MB has faith in the Texans medical staff? I'm calling you out Dr. Lowe

How the Texans have downplayed injuries from Boselli to Joppru to DDW to AF to AJ is flat out sickening to me.

There are strategic reasons to do so with AJ. Make other team prepare for him.

ok so i will look for him to suit up next week then :slapfight: i wish the FO office would keep us fans informed, all this B.S about his injury either means its worse our not as bad, i will just expect him to play every week that'll be the easiest way to avoid Message board suicide :choke:

"platelet rich plasma injections"

I used to watch Star Trek the Next Generation all the time. This sounds exactly like something Dr. Beverly Crusher would do.

Seriously the one time Schaub is able to complete a pass like that and it hurts his star WR. This franchise's luck :vincepalm:

So you have faith in the Texans medical staff?

Inspite of their track record.

The NFL is a violent sport. Some things are not preventable. I have no opinion one way or another. I do not believe hamstring injuries are easily preventable. Biggest risk factor is being fast.

ok so i will look for him to suit up next week then :slapfight: i wish the FO office would keep us fans informed, all this B.S about his injury either means its worse our not as bad, i will just expect him to play every week that'll be the easiest way to avoid Message board suicide :choke:

If we, the fans, are informed then all the teams we'll be facing will also be informed.

I prefer to be ignorant if it gives the team an advantage because the opposing team doesn't know what to prepare for.

Transparency is all great and wonderful in business but in football, I want it totally opaque. At least when it comes to my team.

Actually.... I'm residing myself to the possibility that we may or may not see AJ back this season (If at all), late in the season,,,,,,,,

Oh well, sucks for us!!!

My thoughts are still playoffs or BUST!!!

The NFL is a violent sport. Some things are not preventable. I have no opinion one way or another. I do not believe hamstring injuries are easily preventable. Biggest risk factor is being fast.

While some injuries cannot be helped, hamstring injuries can be prevented. Injury prevention should be the strength and conditioning staffs primary job. The fastest way to achieve optimal performance is to get an athlete as healthy as possible. Look for muscle imbalances and correct them, look for restrictions in proper joint mobility and improper posture and correct these issues, and properly condition your athletes so that fatigue isn't a factor. I would say the biggest risk factors in hamstring injuries are muscle imbalances, postural issues, and improper mobility not being fast sprinter. Speed is related to the amount of mass specific force you produce, the more force you put into the ground per pound of bodyweight the faster your run. If you can produce the force you should be able to handle it.

Here's where the above mentioned factors become an issue, if you have muscle imbalances you are asking certain muscles to do more than their fair share of the work involved in producing movement. These overloaded muscles have a higher propensity for straining. For example, the gluteals are the body's primary hip extenders, the hamstrings aid in this function. If the glutes are weak or inhibited than the hamstrings will try to perform more than their fair share making injury likely. If the quads are too strong then they can over stress the hamstrings, as they work in opposition, making injury more likely.

Poor posture, primarily an anterior pelvic tilt, can over stretch the hamstrings, which can increase the likelihood of injury. The more a muscle is stretched the less force it can produce/handle. Weak abdominals, obliques and tight hip flexors create this issue and over stress the hammies. This anterior pelvic tilt can also inhibit the gluteals - which causes issues as stated above.

Improper weight training can also lead to injury. When sprinting, the muscles involved have to turn on and off very rapidly. The difference between elite athletes and average Joes is seen not only in their ability to turn their muscles on to a higher degree but also to turn them off to a greater degree. If the muscle is carrying too much tension at a time when it is supposed to be relaxed then injury can occur. Weight training can foul this sequence up if the training program is improperly set up. Noted strength coach Barry Ross ( the strength coach for Allison Felix, one of the top 200 meter sprinters in the world) focuses much of his training around the deadlift. When performing the DL, he has his athletes drop the bar once it gets above the knees to avoid a slow eccentric contraction with a heavy load. These slow eccentric contractions can cause issues in sprinters performing high speed sprints. Noted strength coach Charles Poliquin has stated the fastest way to pull a hamstring is to have athletes leg press and perform leg curls. These two exercise complete ignore the hamstrings primary function of hip extension, predisposing it for injury. Fast eccentrics, such as plyometrics and exercises such as the kettlebell swing, can help prevent muscle strains by exposing the muscles to higher stretch loads but in a manageable way.

Admittedly there are lot of factors involved in prevention, but hamstring issues can be avoided. There are some issues that may not be avoided. All athletes get fatigued during competition and when muscles are fatigued they can't handle the same forces as when they're fresh - the easy answer would be to get into proper condition so that fatigue doesn't happen as easily. Additionally, when being tackled or trying to avoid a tackle the athlete can get into funky positions which can over stress a muscles, but fast eccentrics can aid in this situation as well by creating a better tolerance for higher stretch loads.

I'm thinking CnD's prognosis takes into account complete tears of the tendon in question.

I would imagine the recovery time would depend on the severity of the tear.

Also, unless it is a complete tear, I don't think surgery can do anything for it.

Actually.... I'm residing myself to the possibility that we may or may not see AJ back this season (If at all), late in the season,,,,,,,,

Oh well, sucks for us!!!

My thoughts are still playoffs or BUST!!!

Other than Aj saying he is fine & the time out is just precautionary.

Without having read anything in this entire thread my assumption is that he will be out 3 weeks.

He will miss the Raiders at home, Ravens on the road, and Titans on the road. He will be back for the Jags at home.

It is what it is!! We can speculate about AJs injury until hell freezes over, and it will STILL be what it is!! Only AJ and his Docs know for sure, and that's fine with me!! We, as fans, are NOT on a need to know basis! If we are told the truth then the rest of the NFL knows the truth. I'm just fine with a bunch of misleading statements, if it throws off the balance in our favor. An "elite" team will find a way to win without their "STARS." We have a lot of weapons on our offense, JAMES CASEY, to mention one, and I think our guys will go out and bust ass for a win!! It's a TEAM sport! I hope we are never identified like the Colts, a team that is nothing without that ONE special player! Truthfully, I think our mild, easy going, soft spoken AJ, will be our biggest cheerleader for the next 3,6,9,10 whatever, wks he is out! He believes in this team, and every player on our team respects the heck out of AJ. Gotta have faith, and I intend to keep on believing in this team, even though I still close my eyes and hold my breath everytime JJ gets the ball!

Back