Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

AJ out a few weeks, has procedure

One thing to note on AJ's injury: He pulled up lame before he got the 1st and took a dive only after he got it. #80 is much of a man. Get well soon. The Texans are NOT the Colts and they can hold down the fort while you heal.

He said that he could be back in a few days or a few weeks..........will get some additional 2nd opinions.

This makes me think that the 2nd opinions are to determine whether to take a non-surgical vs surgical approach. In other words, I believe that the MRI may have already identified a subtotal tear or complete tear/avulsion of the distal hamstring tendon (or the PCL). With a distal hamstring avulsion, there has been controversy whether to surgically repair or not.

Most hamstring tears/avulsions occur more proximal as in this illustration.

A00408F02.jpg

(See my previous post showing the distal hamstring tendon attachments.)

One study published in the past few years reported on elite athletes with this type of injury. They found that in the nonoperative treatment group (12), 7 players recovered at an average of 10.4 weeks (range, 3-35). Five of these players (42%) failed initial nonoperative treatment (mean, 16.8 weeks) and subsequently had surgery to resect the torn tendon and surrounding scar tissue. These 5 players recovered at an average of 12.8 weeks postoperatively. In the acute [immediate] surgery group, 5 players had surgery to resect the torn tendon and scar tissue within 4 weeks of injury. The acute-phase group had an average recovery of 6.8 weeks after surgery.

I believe that this is possibly the dilemma facing AJ and the organization. Making a decision that at least gets him back before the end of the season or playoffs.

There is no mention of the PCL, but let's say that if the PCL has theoretically been shown to be completely torn, a little different situation exists but with similar decision quandary. Surgical reconstruction of the PCL is controversial, and usually only recommended for grade III PCL tears. Because of the technical difficulty of the surgery, some orthopedic surgeons do not see the benefit of PCL reconstruction. Others, however, believe PCL reconstruction can lead to improved knee stability and lower the likelihood of problems down the road. Non-surgical rehab can take 6-8 weeks........Surgical rehab 6 months.

Again, let me emphasize that I have no access to the findings, physical or radiological. But if this were just a straight forward "minor" hamstring problems, I don't believe that there would be need for several 2nd opinions.

Let me leave you with this article that appeared after an MRI was obtained in 2007 following AJ's PCL/MCL injury. You might want to compare some of the wording.

AJ ending up missing 7 games..........

Although the n in the study is really low, it seems like operative therapy means he's effectively out at least 7 weeks. Even if we go the non-op route he's still got a chance for not coming back this year. It's a tough call. Don't have to worry too much about elite athletes at the county hospital where I practice!

Although the n in the study is really low, it seems like operative therapy means he's effectively out at least 7 weeks. Even if we go the non-op route he's still got a chance for not coming back this year. It's a tough call. Don't have to worry too much about elite athletes at the county hospital where I practice!

I think you have to go for the sure thing and get it fixed.

Ugh AJ being out is the most depressing thing that can happen in my sports world. Not only because how much he means to the Texans offense but also because he is my favorite player by far. Anytime the Texans get a big play or score I am pumped but for some reason when it is AJ that makes it happens, it is that much more special to me...I guess that is just the type of guy/player he is.

Lucky for us we have what should be a pretty easy schedule, praying that it is not he is out and more importantly is 100% healthy!

If Dre is out for a significant amount of time or the season, I think the chances of the Texans making the playoffs are slim. He's a huge part of this offense just being on the field. Even if he's not the target he gets a lot of defensive attention.

This isn't a pleasant thought, but he's more than a replaceable cog in this machine.

If AJ is going to miss that much time (five or more weeks), then it really is time for the organization to trade for a WR, or sign TO and/or Moss. Yeah, our offense can still do damage without AJ, but I have no faith in our other receivers. Not to mention the added benefit of that receiver once AJ cones back.

No doubt, I was keeping an eye on the clock at work today to listen to the presser.

I expect maybe three weeks. The way Kubiak was talking it didn't seem like its catastrophic. But then again, nobody knows nothin right now.

Kubiak on 610 just said Andre tried to give it a go after he went in the lockeroom. Is it that bad?

That's actually a good sign for me. If it was serious, they wouldn't have even let him attempt to go back out there.

You might also ask Tate how he felt about being allowed to give it a go and walk off the field last year without assistance........with multiple ankle ligament tears and fracture..........

If AJ is going to miss that much time (five or more weeks), then it really is time for the organization to trade for a WR, or sign TO and/or Moss. Yeah, our offense can still do damage without AJ, but I have no faith in our other receivers. Not to mention the added benefit of that receiver once AJ cones back.
I would think more along the lines of tweaks ti the system rather than wholesale changes. More TE's, change some routes, Casey playing multiple roles. The idea is to get the D off their gameplan and on their heels. Losing AJ sucks, but the emergence of Casey opens up avenues closed to us in years past. Kubiak is supposed to be an offensive guru, so improvise, adapt, and overcome. At least that's what Clint Eastwood would say.

Why would you let someone as obviously hurt as AJ was try to give it a go. (You can only do more damage to the hamstring.) The Texans medical staff is at it again.

That would for sure be killer and piss me off...

BUTTTTT... where has that been reported? "AJ tried" and the staff "let AJ try" are two different things... for all we know from this one sentence about "aj tried to give it a go", AJ maybe didn't want to take his pads off and started jogging in place as the staff told him "not a good idea, you need to rest it..."

Or maybe they actually said "you're fine, champ, let's try and give it a go..."..

too vague to jump to conclusions on that... Hell, Foster got tight against Miami and they benched him...

On my way home, I heard Kubiak (on 610 AM) say that they were going to know more by tomorrow on what AJ's condition is. I think out for a few weeks is way better than out for the whole season. And initially it looked like he was done for the season the way he reacted. I don't think the Texans will sign either Moss or T.O. Obviously other guys will have to step up and get the job done till AJ comes back.

Link:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=1575&line=215392&spln=1

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Monday Night Countdown that the Texans believe Andre Johnson's hamstring injury will not keep him out long term.

Schefter confirmed that Johnson probably won't play in Week 5 against the Raiders, but the team hasn't yet ruled him out, and the injury isn't season-threatening as may have been initially feared. In other words, it sounds like a "week-to-week" situation. Just keep in mind that the Texans are still awaiting a second opinion on the hamstring injury. Coach Gary Kubiak suggested Monday that the Texans will "lean on" Arian Foster until Johnson gets back. Oct. 3 - 7:09 pm et

On my way home, I heard Kubiak (on 610 AM) say that they were going to know more by tomorrow on what AJ's condition is. I think out for a few weeks is way better than out for the whole season. And initially it looked like he was done for the season the way he reacted. I don't think the Texans will sign either Moss or T.O. Obviously other guys will have to step up and get the job done till AJ comes back.

It sure did... I had my head in my hands for a solid minute... I then got on the phone and text'd two of my buddies that were watching the game elsewhere with "Wtf? andre? It's always something" and just after sending it got "NOOOOO!" from one of them... I wonder how many of those types of text messages flew around 12:58 pm Sunday?

It sure did... I had my head in my hands for a solid minute... I then got on the phone and text'd two of my buddies that were watching the game elsewhere with "Wtf? andre? It's always something" and just after sending it got "NOOOOO!" from one of them... I wonder how many of those types of text messages flew around 12:58 pm Sunday?

I felt like Albert Pujols hit that moon shot homerun at Minute Maid in the League Championship series all over again

Kubiak & Co. said they would know more by tomorrow. They never said we would.

I don't see how they can not be calling free agent WR's right now and trying to find someone who is more consistent than Jacoby. I just don't understand how Gary & Rick can look at Jacoby Jones, turn and smile at each other, and say "We got this covered".

If I was in that position I'd be trying to get somebody in here tomorrow for a workout.

I don't see how they can not be calling free agent WR's right now and trying to find someone who is more consistent than Jacoby. I just don't understand how Gary & Rick can look at Jacoby Jones, turn and smile at each other, and say "We got this covered".

If I was in that position I'd be trying to get somebody in here tomorrow for a workout.

Don't lose hope, tomorrow's "Workout Tuesday".........we're bound to hit a home run lifesaver!:toropalm:

My gut tells me the 2nd opinion they're seeking is to protect arguably the most valuable WR in current NFL history (Calvin Johnson being 2nd on that list).

I'm going to go with the idea that they want to make sure the MRI is clear, and that there is no doubt about its results. I expect it to be as minor of a hamstring problem as has been communicated by Kubiak thus far.

The last thing they want to do is trot AJ back out there and BAM! he goes down because of an iffy MRI or some other "hitch" that was missed during the initial examination.

This is to protect Andre Johnson, to prolong his career, first and foremost.

That's my gut instinct. Meanwhile, the Raiders won't know whether to prepare for AJ being in the game or not. It is what it is, I'm just sayin'.....

My gut tells me the 2nd opinion they're seeking is to protect arguably the most valuable WR in current NFL history (Calvin Johnson being 2nd on that list).

I'm going to go with the idea that they want to make sure the MRI is clear, and that there is no doubt about its results. I expect it to be as minor of a hamstring problem as has been communicated by Kubiak thus far.

The last thing they want to do is trot AJ back out there and BAM! he goes down because of an iffy MRI or some other "hitch" that was missed during the initial examination.

That's my gut instinct. Meanwhile, the Raiders won't know whether to prepare for AJ being in the game or not. It is what it is, I'm just sayin'.....

First time I've heard this, but it does make sense. I'm sure with the way they saw Andre go down they don't want to risk running him back out there without getting every clearance possible. That's the scenario that I'm sure every Texans fan is hoping for at least.

Do you remember Herv when Andre got hurt in the Carolina game a few years back (2007)? We were hearing the same vague reports and he ended up being out a lot longer than a couple of weeks. Kubiak kept stringing us along with vague reports and when Andre would be back. I think he missed the rest of the Carolina game and then about 7 more before making it back. I'm only saying what you already know. Kubiak doesn't tell the whole truth when it comes to injuries and he is worse when it is his main guy on offense.

Do you remember Herv when Andre got hurt in the Carolina game a few years back (2007)? We were hearing the same vague reports and he ended up being out a lot longer than a couple of weeks. Kubiak kept stringing us along with vague reports and when Andre would be back. I think he missed the rest of the Carolina game and then about 7 more before making it back. I'm only saying what you already know. Kubiak doesn't tell the whole truth when it comes to injuries and he is worse when it is his main guy on offense.

But since this offseason the FO has made moves more aggressively. I think they know whats at stake and if there was a real concern about AJ at this point we would have already read "TO and Moss are visiting Houston on Tuesday".

Mike

I've seen the name "Moss" a lot in this thread... would he be a good fit for Houston (not talking about "in the locker room" or anything)?

He just seems to be a deep threat style receiver, one to be hit in stride... hitting receivers deep and in stride hasn't been Schaub's speciality so far in his career...

I have a different view on this than most. Kubiak said "Andre was moving around in the lockeroom", in an attempt to "get back on the field". So is it that bad. Sounds to me like the first MRI turned out pretty well. Kubiak also said they were seeing how Andre felt about it. Is this just a precautionary move to protect one of the best players in the league, because his injury on the field looked season ending, yet it was nothing. I have a feeling there's a good chance he is back for Baltimore.

If it was a season ended I would be shocked. Signs during the game, Andre smiling, moving around on the sideline, or just even being out there, would suggest it was not that bad.

Andre was the only WR to catch a ball on Sunday.

I think we can still be productive without him, but it will be a struggle. Matt's not good enough to greatly raise the level of of play of his receivers and we don't have anyone close to Andre's talent level.

That is going to put a lot of pressure oneveryone else, OD and Arian in particular. It will also put a lot of pressure on the playcalling.

Go back and look at Walter's stats over the past few seasons. He has the ability to fill in as the number one better than JJ does. Back in 2007 when AJ was down for an extended period of time Schaub dud just fine spreading the ball around.

If anything this is going to force Schaub to work on his progressions since he has been slowly getting bad at staring AJ down. I want to see him get back to working the ball all over the field like he has in years past.

If that means getting Anderson back out there for some of his grunt style yardage, do it! The passing game is just not as potent right now as it seemed in years past, you never knew where Schaub would go with the ball.

John Clayton on ESPN speculated 2-3 weeks this morning. I would hope he is back by the time we play the Tacks in 3 weeks. I know Andre will be foaming at the mouth to tourch innegan again.

If Philadelphia's season keeps going the way it is, there are rumblings about trading Desean Jackson. Now, I know we would never entertain the idea, but Philly definitely loves trading. (he is on his last year of his contract and there is speculation Eagles won't pay him in the off-season)

a second round pick + maybe a player should get this done. (they are beyond paper thin at linebacker)

John Clayton on ESPN speculated 2-3 weeks this morning. I would hope he is back by the time we play the Tacks in 3 weeks. I know Andre will be foaming at the mouth to tourch innegan again.

He also said something like 8 weeks out for Walter when he "broke" his shoulder, so I'm skeptical to say the least, but if he's right, only 2-3 weeks would be a huge positive for the Texans.

Johnson post on Facebook last night:

News for yall I'm fine. Imma miss some time but it's just the staff being safe, I'll be good to go soon

He sounds positive to me! Hopefully this is the way it will work and we'll only miss him for 1-2 games.

Before the season started I was talking about how the stars are lining up just right for the Texans. I told my brother, "watch some bullshit will happen like AJ will get injured, and screw the Texans season up." I should of just kept my mouth shut, lol. I hope thats not the case though, if so I'll go all Florida Evans.
So, it's YOUR fault! **Get HIM!**

If Aj is going to miss the next 8 weeks (fingers crossed) I really think the only game to worry about is Baltimore.
Raiders: We can beat them without Aj, this is a coaching game. Kubiak should be able to beat these guys.

Baltimore: We're going to need our A game with Andre to win this game.

Tennessee: @ Titland: I know that they aren't as helpless as we've been saying, but these guys don't scare me. The only thing that worries me about them is that they can win 10 games against their schedule, even if we sweep them.

JagUars: I think we got this game @ home

Cleveland: Not necessarily an easy game, so far #4 against the pass # 25 against the run.... I think Gary can put together a game plan to take advantage of our strengths & their weaknesses.

TampaBay: I think we're better than these guys. They're streaky, but I think we can beat them. Either way, it's not guaranteed that we can't win without Andre.

Bye

JagUars: @ TarpStadium... I think we've got a chance to win this game.

Those teams on our schedule without Andre, only makes them more competitive & more dependent on Kubiak's gametime decisions.

Nothing to worry about.
It all sounded OK till that last part. :kubepalm:

JJ is a great field-stretcher, but he's not even a poor man's #1...for anybody.

T.O I would welcome im here, Moss, not so much. He is a lazy turd who runs a go and a post. Does not fit.
I'd love to see T.O., but I doubt it with the good guy F.O.

If Philadelphia's season keeps going the way it is, there are rumblings about trading Desean Jackson. Now, I know we would never entertain the idea, but Philly definitely loves trading. (he is on his last year of his contract and there is speculation Eagles won't pay him in the off-season)

a second round pick + maybe a player should get this done. (they are beyond paper thin at linebacker)
That'd be too good to be true.

News for yall I'm fine. Imma miss some time but it's just the staff being safe, I'll be good to go soon

He sounds positive to me! Hopefully this is the way it will work and we'll only miss him for 1-2 games.

Sounds to me like the big guy feel like he can play this week but the team doesn't want to pull a Foster.

So far, it's looking good. Texans just making sure they don't rush him back out there.

That's all i need right there to breathe again. His word means much more than anyone elses speculation. Now all i need is for him to tweet the MRI results...LOL.

Go back and look at Walter's stats over the past few seasons. He has the ability to fill in as the number one better than JJ does. Back in 2007 when AJ was down for an extended period of time Schaub dud just fine spreading the ball around.

If anything this is going to force Schaub to work on his progressions since he has been slowly getting bad at staring AJ down. I want to see him get back to working the ball all over the field like he has in years past.

If that means getting Anderson back out there for some of his grunt style yardage, do it! The passing game is just not as potent right now as it seemed in years past, you never knew where Schaub would go with the ball.

That is true. Schaub has spread the ball around better in the past...well more than he has done this season.

Sorry Dre, you're my cat and all, but I ain't buying it. Two words scare the hell out of me: "Second Opinion"

Who do you have in mind? Besides T.O. and Moss, that is.

There ain't nobody out there. They would already be playing if there were.

How can you have "multiple MRIs" done, and not be able to tell what's wrong?

:rolleyes:

I don't see this anywhere. Does Andre Johnson even have a Facebook page?

Don't think he has a facebook page.

Sorry Dre, you're my cat and all, but I ain't buying it. Two words scare the hell out of me: "Second Opinion"

I went to the doctor and he told me I was over-weight. I said I wanted a second opinion and he told me I was ugly too.

True story.

Back