Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

XFL Revival?

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame

XFL hopes to buy some AAF equipment

May 24, 2019, 10:54 AM EDT

Vince McMahon apparently doesn’t believe in curses.

As the XFL begins to compile equipment for its debut in 2020, the league has gone bargain shopping. Via the San Antonio Express-News, the XFL hopes to buy some of the equipment used by the ill-fated Alliance of American Football.

Alpha Entertainment, the parent company of the XFL, wants to purchase helmets, shoulder pads, tackling dummies, and other equipment (including “hundreds of rolls of athletic tape”) for $375,000. A deposit of $37,500 already has been paid for the gear.

The AAF’s bankruptcy trustee has formally sought court approval to make the sale. Any money from the sale of equipment would go to the league’s many creditors, who at most will get pennies on the dollar of the AAF’s debts.

“We always hope to get higher offers,” bankruptcy trustee Randolph Osherow said, via the Express-News. “The problem is, it’s a very small market. This is all professional football gear. So it’s probably only going to be sold to someone in the professional football business.

“Colleges have their own way of getting equipment. It has to go through a budgeting process. They are really not in the auction-attending business.”

The gear currently sits in a San Antonio warehouse. And even though it bears the aroma of a football league that turned rancid almost as quickly as a dead fish, the XFL has no qualms about snatching the equipment for a reduced cost, and to use it as their own.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
June Jones has stated that Johnny Manziel will be eligible for the XFL draft. For those who are curious for what reason Manziel received a lifetime ban from the CFL (for which his team and the CFL refused to disclose the exact reasons), there was an agreement with the League (CFL) that they would allow his entry under very specific conditions................He had to make a pledge which included weekly therapy appointments, mandatory doctor visits and monthly Lithium (taken to treat his bipolar disorder) tests . And after all of the tremendous support he was given, he essentially thumbed his nose at honoring those commitments. Even when the team said that it worked with the League and presented alternatives to Manziel, he was still unwilling to proceed. Shortly thereafter, Manziel was already presenting another "genuine" Manziel..........................
Johnny Manziel‏Verified account@JManziel2
I want to thank Coach Sherman, my teammates, and the CFL fans. My time there reestablished my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States.

12:36 PM - 27 Feb 2019

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Publicity, good or bad, is always good for bringing in a few more viewers. If Manziel ends up in Houston I'll be rooting for Dallas in the XFL. LOL

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
So Houston went with the Oilers oil derrick, Dallas went with the Oilers blue.

Wasn't Roughnecks a finalist for the Texans? Don't know which would have been worse. Now we have them both.

Oh well, I'll probably watch as much of this as I did the AAF. About 6 minutes worth.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Roughnecks? It's the XFL, why not Rednecks? LOL

meh.....I'll watch the Houston team like I watched the San Antonio team in the AAF. It'll be spring and I'll be bored and I'll watch it. Some of it anyways.

Ranger Tom

All Pro
I think Houston got the best team name. It's in line with the city's "theme" and it's full of blue-collar pride.

"Battlehawks" is so aggressively bad that it comes all the way round the bend and becomes enjoyable in a campy kind of way.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I think Seattle got the best logo and name. Roughnecks is going to have to grow on me, but it's OK. I'm going to laugh if the Defenders ends up with the worst defense.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I think it would've been a big marketing coo if the XFL had used sexual organs or innuendos as their nicknames. Anyone want to toss out some ideas?

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I think Houston got the best team name. It's in line with the city's "theme" and it's full of blue-collar pride.

"Battlehawks" is so aggressively bad that it comes all the way round the bend and becomes enjoyable in a campy kind of way.

I love it, and its exactly what the Texans should have named their team and should change it to actually.

The whole Texans concept needs to be trashed and buried forever.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
XFL draft coming up next week, and it's kind of a hoot..
The XFL player allocation process is held in multiple phases, separated by position groups. The league will use a "snake" format in each phase, in which the draft order will reverse with each round. The draft order was shuffled for each phase as predetermined through lotteries.

- Tier 1 Quarterback Allocation Process: Each XFL team's manager-coach submitted a list of their preferred quarterbacks prior to the draft, with the league assigning one quarterback to each team; if multiple teams request the same player, the league will resolve any disputes.

- Phase 1: offensive skill positions (other quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends)—10 rounds
- Phase 2: offensive linemen (offensive tackles, guards, and centers)—10 rounds
- Phase 3: defensive front seven players (defensive linemen and linebackers)—10 rounds
- Phase 4: defensive backs (cornerbacks and safeties)—10 rounds
- Phase 5: open draft (any position)—30 rounds. Special teams players (including long snapper, punter, placekicker) have no separate position phase and are relegated to the open pool.

At the conclusion of the draft, each team will have a 71-player preseason roster, to be winnowed down to 52 players by the start of the 2020 XFL season.

A supplemental draft will be held in late November 2019, which will consist of players released from National Football League rosters and who have finished their college football and/or Canadian Football League seasons.
2020 XFL Draft

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I think Seattle got the best logo and name. Roughnecks is going to have to grow on me, but it's OK. I'm going to laugh if the Defenders ends up with the worst defense.
Manziel becoming a star in this league would help it tremendously. I'll root heavily for him just in hopes to see some excitement.

I'd also rather see him embrace his party side and let go of the "try to impress the media" act for the sake of it. I think that would likely take some of the pressure off of him where he could just be a junkyard football player. Hell, crack some beers on the sidelines. That would be fun to watch. If the games were competitive, a little bit of theater could likely help it.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
Manziel becoming a star in this league would help it tremendously. I'll root heavily for him just in hopes to see some excitement.

I'd also rather see him embrace his party side and let go of the "try to impress the media" act for the sake of it. I think that would likely take some of the pressure off of him where he could just be a junkyard football player. Hell, crack some beers on the sidelines. That would be fun to watch. If the games were competitive, a little bit of theater could likely help it.
Manziel May find his way back to the Browns after Mayfields performance. If he finds success of course.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Manziel May find his way back to the Browns after Mayfields performance. If he finds success of course.
Manziel is never touching an NFL field for as long as he lives. Lol!

Baker needs a whole new HC and OC. No one seems to be teaching him well on how to handle the blitz and she short route fast developed plays, because their Oline is really bad. I think Baker will come around eventually.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Our XFL coach, June Jones, has stated he likes Manziel to play in the XFL. Be careful what you ask for, Manziel could be coming to Houston. I can't stand Manziel, so that would disappoint me if he ends up on the Houston team. I expect subpar play in the XFL, but I don't want to watch Manziel running around the football field like a scared jackrabbit throwing interceptions. Which is what he does and why he shouldn't be playing in any football league, let alone the NFL.

Gee Tex, we actually agree on something. How unusual. LOL

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Former Texans in the Final Group Released into the XFL Draft Pool

WR Sammie Coates, Auburn (2018)

P Cory Carter, Texas Southern (2017)

OT Anthony Coyle, Fordham (2018)

CB Treston Decoud, Oregon State (2017)

S Rahim Moore, UCLA (2015)

OLB Gimel President, (2017,2019)

LB Drew Lewis, Colorado (2019)

DT Tracy Sprinkle, Ohio State (2019)

OL Maurquice Shakir, Middle Tennessee (2019)

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
Wifi info on Connor Cook. At least he's been to a few NFL camps, which is good.

Career history
Oakland Raiders (2016–2017)
Carolina Panthers (2018)*
Cincinnati Bengals (2018)*
Detroit Lions (2019)*
Houston Roughnecks (2020–present)

OptimisticTexan

A league of NFL pre-season football, at best. I just don't see how that's going to attract anyone's attention.
It's football and it's in Houston....I'll follow along and hope they don't make the same mistake all the other Professional Football Leagues not named the NFL do.

Is Vince McMahon the man to finally get a new league to stick even though he failed once? If he keeps the scripts out of it and plays real NFL ruled games of the 70's......he could really be on to something. If not....

It could be time for Mark Cuban to Shark Tank an effort.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
No one wants to watch unfamiliar sh*t football.

People want to peek at it, like they do a car wreck on the other side of the freeway.

But then they see nothing really interesting is happening and they hit the gas and head on their way.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
The XFL will hold a training camp for all the teams in Houston in January.

The teams will gather from January 4 through January 22, with the Dallas Renegades training at Darrell Tully Stadium, the DC Defenders training at Rice Stadium, the Houston Roughnecks training at TDECU Stadium, the L.A. Wildcats training at Alexander Durley Stadium, the New York Guardians training at Husky Stadium, the St. Louis BattleHawks training at W.W. Thorne Stadium, the Seattle Dragons training at Delmar Stadium, and the Tampa Bay Vipers training at George Turner Stadium.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/11/19/all-eight-xfl-training-camps-will-be-held-in-houston/

badboy

Hall of Fame
It's sort of like watching games between practice squad teams and some FAs and UDFAs. I will watch some of it at least. I'm thinking McMahon will be looking at some potential for his wrasslin machine.

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
Really? I thought it was one of the worst of the bunch.

OK, 2nd worst. That dragon one is pretty bad.
IMO, they’re all horrible except Houston. I love the H built into the derrick and the San Jacinto Monument star on top. I’m not crazy about the uniform but the helmet is very cool. Maybe I’m biased because I was an Oilers fan.

The rest are gawd awful. They just showed the Vipers uniforms on our local news here in Tampa Bay and my wife said they look like the Teenage Ninja Turtles. I totally don’t get the Vipers name for this area. They should have been the Sharks, Hammerheads or something else that this area is known for.

badboy

Hall of Fame
IMO, they’re all horrible except Houston. I love the H built into the derrick and the San Jacinto Monument star on top. I’m not crazy about the uniform but the helmet is very cool. Maybe I’m biased because I was an Oilers fan.

The rest are gawd awful. They just showed the Vipers uniforms on our local news here in Tampa Bay and my wife said they look like the Teenage Ninja Turtles. I totally don’t get the Vipers name for this area. They should have been the Sharks, Hammerheads or something else that this area is known for.
Perhaps marketing was thinking of the Dodge Viper, sporty fast and very Exotic.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller

Oh yeah, the logo is probably the best, I just don’t think it looks good on that silver helmet.

They have the uniforms out too.

D47D12D2-1CB6-4A2D-8E93-BB6F4648A7CF.jpegDD43EAF6-6522-4EEB-BF67-EB8B8EDAD117.jpeg

Eh.

OptimisticTexan

Really? I thought it was one of the worst of the bunch.

OK, 2nd worst. That dragon one is pretty bad.
My favorite is the Dallas Renegades. Next is New York Guardians. Finally the St Louis Battle Hawks. Houston Roughnecks' logo is at a funky angle and takes away from it's design.