Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

XFL Revival?

XFL plans a running clock to speed up the game
December 7, 2018, 9:48 AM EST

The XFL is still more than a year away from its debut season, but some new rules the new league plans to implement will surely draw attention.

Most notable is a running clock to keep the game moving: Instead of stopping the clock on incomplete passes and runs out of bounds, the clock will keep running, except in the last two minutes of the half. That should make games move faster.

“Fans want to minimize idle time and speed up the game,” said Sam Schwartzstein, the XFL’s director of operations, in a video explaining the XFL’s rules. “We look at the play clock as one of the big things we want to change. Fans want more plays — less stall, more ball.”

To ensure the offense can line up quickly and start the next play, the XFL plans to have designated ball spotters who will spot the ball immediately after a play ends, taking that responsibility out of the referees’ hands.

Other changes the XFL is planning include a revamped kickoff that requires the kicking team to wait until the receiving team has caught the ball before running downfield, a punt rule modeled off the CFL’s requirement that returners get at least five yards of space to field the ball, and tiered extra points that do away with kicks entirely and allow the offense to score one point from the 2-yard line, two points from the 5-yard line or three points from the 15-yard line.

The XFL is working with a community college football team that has practiced under some of the XFL’s proposed rules, to see how it plays out with real players on the field. Based on the video the XFL has released, it looks promising.

Interesting. I don't particularly care for the speed up the game in every damn sport there is just to please this ADD society we live in now, but I'm interested to see how the PAT and KO rules play out.

You wonder if the XFL or any other alternate pro league could be a place where some high school prospects could go instead of playing in college. This and maybe some college stars leaving early, signing with an XFL team and get paid for a season or two before going to the NFL.

If they did that, would they be able to avoid the draft and just go to the highest bidder and choose where they want to play? You wonder if they are a free agent from another league would they fall under the salary limitations for rookies? This would be more like European soccer where players just choose where they want to play instead of being drafted.

If this were occurring I would be more interested in watching.

You wonder if the XFL or any other alternate pro league could be a place where some high school prospects could go instead of playing in college. This and maybe some college stars leaving early, signing with an XFL team and get paid for a season or two before going to the NFL.

Pretty sure the answer is the NFL only cares about number of years past HS/18. You'd blow ever playing for a regular college.

Years of experience is a good question.

IMO the only chance another league has is to not try to compete as an on par league. They need it to be, for lack of a better description, The Replacements players, kids just not suited to college & haven't caught on with an NFL team. A football Other Guys. Carve a new niche.

If you compare to the NFL, you'll have to perform at an NFL level.

I've been stating this for a long time, roughly 20 years. Leagues that have tried to compete with the NFL have failed, yet no league has ever been created to compete with CFB. HS athletes would be given the option of playing football for a university where an education is possible provided the young athlete applies themselves to both responsibilities.

Some athletes are just not cut from that cloth and would rather focus on football 24/7 while getting paid to do so.

I think a Professional Football League such as this could get a lot of looks.....especially if they took the nights like Wednesday and Friday as the primary play week during the regular NFL and CFB season. I feel a well planned league could give CFB a run for their money in regards to HS talent while gathering steam with football fans.

Last edited:
Oliver Luck said they'll be putting out info on team names and colors in six to eight weeks.

Is this league really dropping right at the time that the NFL's new CBA season would start? If so, that could def. boost their ratings to start off unless they go WWE stupid with it again on the structure. The NFL likely has the worst lockout we've ever seen.

wrong thread?

They haven't even started yet, how could they be dropping already?

Didn't say they had. I asked a question about when the were starting and if it would be at the same time the season would start for the NFL's new CBA season.

Is this league really dropping right at the time that the NFL's new CBA season would start? If so, that could def. boost their ratings to start off unless they go WWE stupid with it again on the structure. The NFL likely has the worst lockout we've ever seen.

Didn't say they had. I asked a question about when the were starting and if it would be at the same time the season would start for the NFL's new CBA season.

No, it sounds as if were saying why have they quit before they started

They haven't even started yet, how could they be dropping already?

I think Tex is using the word "dropping" to mean "league start up".

The XFL will definitely have more starting capital and a bigger budget than the AAF. Which doesn't mean it'll last. But we really don't know much about this league yet, they haven't announced team names or uniforms yet. And some of their cities haven't announced their head coaches either. We basically know nothing about the Houston team except they'll be playing in the U of H stadium.

XFL to use one-, two-, three-point conversions
Appearing on Monday’s #PFTPM, XFL Commissioner Oliver Luck said that touchdowns in the new league will result in the scoring team deciding whether to go for one point, two points, or three points.

The one-point conversion would come not from a kick but from a scrimmage play at the two. Two points would be scored after a successful conversion from the five. And three points would be scored for a successful conversion from the 10.

I like it.

Reactions: JB
Not really seeing how getting rid of the easiest kicks limits the ability on harder kicks.
Thirty-three yd extra points are not the easiest kicks. Kickers during the regular season get good practice in-game with extra point attempts (real-game pressure) which they won't otherwise.

Last edited:
Thirty-three yd extra points are not the easiest kicks. Kickers during the regular season get good practice in-game with extra point attempts (real-game pressure) which they won't otherwise.

The percentage of kicks shorter is small. Extra points are made 94+%. Yes easiest. Not buying the real game pressure on a gimme.

I like both what the AAF tried and the XFL is going to try on the extra points after TD. I especially like going for 3 extra points from the 10 yard line, I want to see how that works and how much it's actually used. 9 points per TD could really amp things up.

@CoachJeffFisher
@JasonLaCanfora false news that I am headed to XFL Houston. Maybe get better sources?
1f923.png
Have a great Thursday.
D4dSc0dU4AAmwaH.png

12:13 PM - 18 Apr 2019

Trying to sneak a bit of Houston history in on us, first with the rumors of Jeff Fisher, and now hiring June Jones. I'll watch them anyway, just cause they're a Houston team. We still don't know the team name.

Any bets on if this league lasts a full season through all it's playoffs? There are no team owners in the XFL, all the teams are owned by the league, which means vince Mcmahon owns all the teams. At least Vince has more money than the AAF did. Maybe.

I'll be interested in how many fans show up in Cougar stadium to watch.

Pretty sure just about every business venture Vince McMahon's been involved in besides WWE has failed miserably.

Just sayin..

Recap of the Press Conference
  • They had known for two weeks that June Jones had accepted the XFL Houston head coaching job
  • Jones was approached by the XFL and said no initially
  • Thought about it more and thought how fun it would be to turn Wide receivers and quarterbacks and turn them into players in a new league
  • On the CFL competing with the XFL for players, “There are a ton of guys out there that just don’t get chances”
  • Lived in Houston from 1984 to 1990 so had ties with the area.
  • Realized he wanted the job so he called them back and said he was interested
  • Thought the AAF was haphazardly put together
  • He is in a position where he doesn’t have to the work in the XFL but he wants to do it
  • Likes to find players and make them into something
Looks like Jones fits the mold Oliver Luck and the XFL are looking for. Guys, who want to help build the league. To watch the full press conference head over to ticats.ca.

XFL PLAYERS
Luck On Colin Kaepernick And Johnny Manziel In The XF
XFL Commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck joined The Ken Carman Show with Anthony Limato talk about the XFL and why spring football can work.

Luck talked about what makes the XFL different from the AAF, what rules the league is working on and if QB’s John Manziel and Colin Kaepernick are welcome in the XFL.

• Chance to work for a Football league startup is what drew him out of his NCAA job
  • Believes there is a market for Spring Football after the Super Bowl. “(Spring) is a quiet time in the sports world.”
  • Vince McMahon is the one and the only person with the money. No need to deal with multiple investors and he can focus on the league. Different from the AAF
  • Vince McMahon’s capital gives the league time and money to get things in place to have a successful league
  • QB talent is critical for the league and they pay more money for those players
  • Only 32 teams in the NFL with two slots typically for QBs. He feels there is a ton of talent out there not on NFL teams
  • Quarterbacks are the top of the food chain
  • 12 innovations the XFL is working on. See Luck On XFL Overtime, 1, 2 or 3 Point Conversions, Manziel for details
  • Vince McMahon wants a stand-alone league not affiliated with the NFL. Has no interest in selling the league to the NFL
  • College football is the developmental league for the NFL
  • XFL broadcast partners like the XFL Overtime rules
  • Open to John Manziel playing in the XFL as long, he fits the behavioral standards of the league and the coaches feel like he’s good enough. XFL has had no contact with him
  • Same applies to Colin Kaepernick, doesn’t know if he is in shape or not. Not sure he would be interested in playing in the XFL based on the rumored salary requirements. We reported Colin Kaepernick Wanted $20 Million To Play In XFL here. But he would be open to him as well.
On the Colin Kaepernick part of the story. The media has been reporting this story as “XFL commissioner and CEO Oliver Luck seems open to having Johnny Manziel in the league, but doesn’t seem as open to Colin Kaepernick.” If you listen to the interview he has the same interest in both players but Kaepernick probably wouldn’t want to play in the XFL. Listen for your self at the (9:12 mark)

With Bob Stoops as head coach and GM, and Daryl Johnson as director of player personnel, the Dallas XFL team is laying the basics to a good infrastructure.

With Bob Stoops as head coach and GM, and Daryl Johnson as director of player personnel, the Dallas XFL team is laying the basics to a good infrastructure.

Has Johnston accomplished anything as an exec to warrant such good vibes?

Has Johnston accomplished anything as an exec to warrant such good vibes?

Other than having more experience than a lot of the others in the XFL in his position, maybe not. The Houston's team "President" experience is running a minor league basketball team. There's a bit of difference there, but whether either of them succeed, or even if the XFL lives very long, is still in the future.

This is still going to be equivalent to double A baseball. That alone will keep it from becoming anything big. They'll last longer than the AAF because they've got the financial backing but you're not going to have sold out stadiums and big tv ratings for a sub par talent pro league.

If this league does anything it should put an end to any more ideas of creating and making a successful non-NFL backed league. They have the finances to withstand a first few seasons of losses, so if they can't do it, no one will.

Now, if McMahon were to directly compete with the NFL and get top talent like the AFL did back in the day, or even the USFL who eventually ran out of money, with his financial backing maybe that becomes something. I heard he was willing to lose up to $500M. But a league of double A talent just isn't going to appeal to the masses. No matter how video game like you make it with double forward passes and 3 point PATs.

And even with the USFL taking talent the likes of Herschel Walker and Jim Kelly, they only had 2 or 3 teams average over 40,000 in attendance with the league average being just 24,000. Had they had more time and money, maybe they make more of it, but it just shows you how difficult an endeavor it is to get a non-NFL league going and making money. Especially one with nowhere near that level of talent.

Trying to sneak a bit of Houston history in on us, first with the rumors of Jeff Fisher, and now hiring June Jones. I'll watch them anyway, just cause they're a Houston team. We still don't know the team name.
I'm gonna keep an open mind bout the team too and here's a prediction - the Houston XFL team will have a better nickname than the NFL version.

Lower quality college football programs seats thousands a week in attendance. Perhaps the new leagues should keep ticket prices comparative to college prices. Attracting large crowds should increase advertising and possible radio and TV support. Each year there are hundreds football players who don't make it to the NFL. I don't think the problem will be the quality of the football but rather the expectations of the public. Think McMahon needs to find a way to build saying loyalty and excitement to the individual teams just like fans follow certain WWF performers. McMahon may have failed in other Enterprises but he still has a lots of money.

Lower quality college football programs seats thousands a week in attendance. Perhaps the new leagues should keep ticket prices comparative to college prices. Attracting large crowds should increase advertising and possible radio and TV support. Each year there are hundreds football players who don't make it to the NFL. I don't think the problem will be the quality of the football but rather the expectations of the public. Think McMahon needs to find a way to build saying loyalty and excitement to the individual teams just like fans follow certain WWF performers. McMahon may have failed in other Enterprises but he still has a lots of money.

I think one way a Vince McMahon could get some true traction with a summer league is go with a GB Packers ownership concept.....allow fans to own a percentage of their given team. A vested interest could keep fans coming to games and more importantly the idea of having a financial stake in a professional team could create some real excitement.

Back