Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Would you make a trade before the trade deadline?

Shouldn't cost more 4th rd.

Hardly mortgaging future.
Worthy of consideration, a real burner who'd stretch the field like Fuller but also a real knucklehead: I forget if he's linked to the Crips or the Bloods but what the hell I''ll go with SteelB on this one and take a shot at this guy. Wouldn't expose anything higher that a fourth rounder though.

I don’t think the Texans end up with DeSean Jackson. More likely Pierre Garçon, he could be had for a 4th round pick.

The “extra” 2nd round pick the Texans have may help Gaine plug another hole with a quality starter.

It’s difficult to avoid getting swept up in this hot streak. Gotta reload.

Two 4ths could build offensive line depth. Gaine will go bpa until need dictates otherwise. Best way to improve OL long term is via draft.

I don’t think the Texans end up with DeSean Jackson. More likely Pierre Garçon, he could be had for a 4th round pick.

The “extra” 2nd round pick the Texans have may help Gaine plug another hole with a quality starter.

It’s difficult to avoid getting swept up in this hot streak. Gotta reload.

Garcon could be “had” for a 6th or 7th at this point. Possession JAG WR on the back end of his career.

I have 3 clear favorites.

Deshaun Jackson would be my #1 choice, but there is no way in hades you get him for a 4th. Teams know we're semi-desperate. I'd offer our 3rd this year and a 4th next year for him. I think he's worth it. You'll get nothing but a laugh and a dial tone for an offer of a single 4th imo. He's getting up there but still hugely productive and is the closest in speed and skillset to Fuller that is likely to be available. He's a damn good #2 and good enough to still be a #1 and could really provide a boost.

My 1B choice is Golden Tate. He's starting to age too, but another guy that is very productive and could be a good #2. I think he could be had for a #3. Possibly even a 4. Not sure. But it really depends on the Lions. They are not out of the playoff picture at this point.

My last really "good" choice among those bandied about D. Thomas. He's a slightly less productive Tate and very good after the catch. I think a #4 could potentially nab him but if it takes a #3 so be it.

I would be super excited about either of the top 2 choices, and also pretty excited about Thomas. The other names out there might help some sure, but aren't the talents and don't bring the production that these 3 bring. At this point, if one of these 3 is not doable, I'd go to the next tier and so on until I find a vet that I can get in here to help.

Two 4ths could build offensive line depth. Gaine will go bpa until need dictates otherwise. Best way to improve OL long term is via draft.
And generally speaking the Draft is how GMs make their reputation and I'm sure Gaine is fully aware of that.

In all due respect Badboy that sprendthrift mentality is exactly what's got us into the situation we now find ourselves in which is the proverbial creek without a
paddle. I don't believe our long-term LT is to be found among Davenport, Lamm, Rankins, or any others on our current roster.
We should hoard that top pick until the right opportunity comes along, the right player comes along to acquire that precious blind-side protection for the franchises most valuable asset.
We disagree substantially on what we have now but I'm cool; most here know my opinion on Davenport and we have a backup in Rankins if needed. While I said I have a RT pick #4 for us if a better player is avail at any pick I'm good with it. For example, Williams is there in first I go with him (this of course is if we have not traded it). Same with second round where more OL are there. Too many here say get a tackle here or there but there has to be one there and a quality guy not just some tackle who is avail. This is issue I have with WalterFootball.com as they seemingly look at sites that offer NFL team needs then say "Ok, Texans need an OT and here is an OT."

I am ok with overspending (somewhat) on a free agent with cash not so okay with overspending with draft picks; just depends on player and deal.

If Lamm continues to get better he could be valuable starter or quality depth. We can be selecting "growth" guys third day and hopefully we have a trainer next season. If current roster develops and our record keeps improving we should look for "now" additions rather than 2019 picks. I just don't see any OTs coming to us by tomorrow.

Last edited:
We disagree substantially on what we have now but I'm cool; most here know my opinion on Davenport and we have a backup in Rankins if needed. While I said I have a RT pick #4 for us if a better player is avail at any pick I'm good with it. For example, Williams is there in first I go with him (this of course is if we have not traded it). Same with second round where more OL are there. Too many here say get a tackle here or there but there has to be one there and a quality guy not just some tackle who is avail. This is issue I have with WalterFootball.com as they seemingly look at sites that offer NFL team needs then say "Ok, Texans need an OT and here is an OT."

I am ok with overspending (somewhat) on a free agent with cash not so okay with overspending with draft picks; just depend on player and deal.

If Lamm continues to get better he could be valuable starter or quality depth. We can be selecting "growth" guys third day and hopefully we have a trainer next season. If current roster develops and our record keeps improving we should look for "now" additions rather than 2019 picks. I just don't see any OTs coming to us by tomorrow.

Davenport still sucks.

Nothing has really changed. He doesn't have the feet to be a top tier LT.

OT's I like are Williams and Little they both have the feet to play LT. I cant for the life of me understand how you can love Davenport like you do and not like Little. If Little falls out of the top 10 I'm trading up for him.

Another guy I really like is Risner. Quality RT. Can play anywhere along the OL.

Hopefully a 1st two 2nd's and a 3rd can help rebuild the OL/CB's and a WR can be traded for before the deadline. Plus a RB like Spencer Ware and Claiborne can be added in FA.

Why do any teams make trades?
To get better. How does trading a young (25) OT on a team friendly contract for unknown future players make Dallas better? Yes, it would make the Texans better. Not the Cowboys.

Throw out a 3rd and make the Patriots pay more .

I dont think I would give up more than a 4th for him. But may do something like a 4th/6th for Thomas. If Gaine was to give up a 3rd Thomas is under contract thru 2019 and you wont find a better WR in the 3rd rd of the draft next offseason than Thomas so I might bite the bullet and give a 3rd for Thomas.

Thomas:His salary cap number in 2019 is $17.53 million, a hefty price for a player who will be 31 years old on Christmas Day. But if a team sees Thomas as being productive next year, they could trade for him and then ask him to re-work his contract. A fair deal would be a team offering a sixth-round pick that becomes a fifth-rounder if his new team makes the playoffs.
&&&&
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/29/demaryius-thomas-broncos-trade/
&&&&
Beat writer with the Denver Post thinks a 6th rounder (which could accelerate to 5th) would bring Demaryius Thomas.
If that's accurate Gaine should jump all over it but doubt Big Jon Elway would settle for a 6th rounder ?

Thomas:His salary cap number in 2019 is $17.53 million, a hefty price for a player who will be 31 years old on Christmas Day. But if a team sees Thomas as being productive next year, they could trade for him and then ask him to re-work his contract. A fair deal would be a team offering a sixth-round pick that becomes a fifth-rounder if his new team makes the playoffs.
&&&&
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/10/29/demaryius-thomas-broncos-trade/
&&&&
Beat writer with the Denver Post thinks a 6th rounder (which could accelerate to 5th) would bring Demaryius Thomas.
If that's accurate Gaine should jump all over it but doubt Big Jon Elway would settle for a 6th rounder ?

I would definitely do a 5th that escalates to a 4th.

I dont think I would give up more than a 4th for him. But may do something like a 4th/6th for Thomas. If Gaine was to give up a 3rd Thomas is under contract thru 2019 and you wont find a better WR in the 3rd rd of the draft next offseason than Thomas so I might bite the bullet and give a 3rd for Thomas.

I was thinking the Pats are just screwing with us so call their bluff .

Yeah, some of these young gun GMs are being more aggressive than in years past.

Like I said, how much/often is a nit.

I'm more interested in who went where and are the Texans filling holes where possible...

Times are a changing.

Me too

I've never been very high on Thomas, but for a 6th I'd probably make the deal. I'd need him to agree to a new contract, but as far as I'm aware we're more than capable of eating this year's salary. You're also not likely to get a player as good or better over the next 3-4 years (if they last that long) than Thomas from the 6th (or 5th) round. However, Thomas doesn't run the crispest routes (edit: lazy'd himself into an interception in the 4th quarter last week) and can go stone-hands, and how will he work being at best the 2nd option? I guess I'm on the fence.

Peterson would've been nice, but we've got the chance at a very team building draft with 3 in the first two rounds - I don't want to bust that up for such a steep price.

Last edited:
Davenport still sucks.

Nothing has really changed. He doesn't have the feet to be a top tier LT.

OT's I like are Williams and Little they both have the feet to play LT. I cant for the life of me understand how you can love Davenport like you do and not like Little. If Little falls out of the top 10 I'm trading up for him.

Another guy I really like is Risner. Quality RT. Can play anywhere along the OL.
Quite simple, as in college D gets better and I have not seen Little do that. I want him to get better as we could use more options but he just isn't. Can he? Little will get his chances against at least a couple of ranked teams. I want David Edwards with Wisconsin to get better but he hasn't either. As of now imo Little should return for senior year. He turns 21 next month and would be only 22 for draft in 2020. I doubt he does that.

Quite simple, as in college D gets better and I have not seen Little do that. I want him to get better as we could use more options but he just isn't. Can he? Little will get his chances against at least a couple of ranked teams. I want David Edwards with Wisconsin to get better but he hasn't either. As of now imo Little should return for senior year. He turns 21 next month and would be only 22 for draft in 2020. I doubt he does that.

Better? From suck to terrible.

I watched Little against LSU and he looks more talented than Davenport will ever be.

Question, what do you watch when you look at OT's?

I've never been very high on Thomas, but for a 6th I'd probably make the deal. I'd need him to agree to a new contract, but as far as I'm aware we're more than capable of eating this year's salary. You're also not likely to get a player as good or better over the next 3-4 years (if they last that long) than Thomas from the 6th (or 5th) round. However, Thomas doesn't run the crispest routes and can go stone-hands, and how will he work being at best the 2nd option? I guess I'm on the fence.

Peterson would've been nice, but we've got the chance at a very team building draft with 3 in the first two rounds - I don't want to bust that up for such a steep price.

Thomas is the 2nd option at best now with future stud WR Courtland Sutton on his heels and about to push him down to 3rd WR.

He profiles as a WR that would do well with a change of scenery. Not a direct replacement for what Fuller does like Desean Jackson but obviously another quality pass catcher and wouldn’t hurt that he’d be taken from next week’s opponent.

With his salary cap number a 6th should get the deal done.

4.3 forty

If it's speed they want, it's speed they have. Vyncint Smith ran a 4.35-40 and he's 6-3. He hasn't had much playing time but he's been with the team long enough to have picked up the nuances of the offense. I think this is a perfect opportunity to let this guy get his feet wet.

I'd rather give this guy a chance than burn up a pick. Teams that have receivers they "could" move know that the teams calling are potentially desperate.....the price is going to go up b/c most of these teams could keep their receivers. If the receiver is in his final contract year, then it's a risk of not being able to or not needing to re-sign him since WFV will be back next season.

I see this as a great time to build quality depth by moving Smith into the WR2 spot, get his 2018 OJT and then let him battle with WFV next season.

Last edited:
It appears that the Texans may have identified Demarious Thomas as a WR of interest, at least with what is being leaked. Man Im not too sure about how much a fit he would be. He strikes me as a DHop LITE type of player, not a burner, solid hands .. obviously better than what we have currently, but not really replacing the speed variable of the offense. Better than nothing I guess.

If it's speed they want, it's speed they have. Vyncint Smith ran a 4.35-40 and he's 6-3. He hasn't had much playing time but he's been with the team long enough to have picked up the nuances of the offense. I think this is a perfect opportunity to let this guy get his feet wet.

I'd rather give this guy a chance than burn up a pick. Teams that have receivers they "could" move know that the teams calling are potentially desperate.....the price is going to go up b/c most of these teams could keep their receivers. If the receiver is in his final contract year, then it's a risk of not being able to or not needing to re-sign him since WFV will be back next season.

I see this as a great time to build quality depth by moving Smith into the WR2 spot, get his 2018 OJT and then let him battle with WFV next season.
Can Smith catch the ball, has he got descent hands ? OK if so then with his speed he would be a candidate to run deep posts or fly pattern down the sidelines.
But the thing is that O'Brien & Gaines focus is currently riveted on winning the division and thereby securing a place in the P/Os and with years of experience in the league as a starter Thomas is much better suited for that role than Smith.

It appears that the Texans may have identified Demarious Thomas as a WR of interest, at least with what is being leaked. Man Im not too sure about how much a fit he would be. He strikes me as a DHop LITE type of player, not a burner, solid hands .. obviously better than what we have currently, but not really replacing the speed variable of the offense. Better than nothing I guess.

DT is plenty fast, you weren't going to replace the combo Fuller was giving you Speed/route running, but there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, and there have been plenty successful offenses that didn't have a speed guy. Anquon Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald come to mind. DT is great after the catch, and always is a league leader in YAC, he is pretty well on WR screens that we all know and love. But the biggest thing about this is, is adding DT makes teams have to account for someone else. No team fears Sammie Coates or Vyncent Smith, they'll put their 3rd corner over on them and then blanket Hop. DT is good enough where they can't constantly roll coverage over to Hop because then he will beat them

We were talking about Vyncint the day of the game, seems in the doghouse so what is it? Would not be bad to see what he has to help you know his future with the team. I feel the way they treat him he misses assignments or has trouble reading defenses. Dude is athletic for sure. I still want D Jackson if they can get him

DT is plenty fast, you weren't going to replace the combo Fuller was giving you Speed/route running, but there is more than 1 way to skin a cat, and there have been plenty successful offenses that didn't have a speed guy. Anquon Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald come to mind. DT is great after the catch, and always is a league leader in YAC, he is pretty well on WR screens that we all know and love. But the biggest thing about this is, is adding DT makes teams have to account for someone else. No team fears Sammie Coates or Vyncent Smith, they'll put their 3rd corner over on them and then blanket Hop. DT is good enough where they can't constantly roll coverage over to Hop because then he will beat them

umm I dont think many defenses are saying "ohhh no we have to face 30 yr old Demaryious Thomas" but I would venture to guess they would say "we better keep an eye on 31 yr old Desean Jacksons speed" ... Fuller took the top off, his route running was nothing spectacular, he was the gazelle and he benefited from some perfectly thrown balls by Watson. Thats what we need, not another guy who has relative speed to DHop and wont make the defense respect over the top. There is a reason why the offense looks so much better with Fuller in there.

To get better. How does trading a young (25) OT on a team friendly contract for unknown future players make Dallas better? Yes, it would make the Texans better. Not the Cowboys.
It was a rhetorical question for the poster I quoted but thanks for the answer.

umm I dont think many defenses are saying "ohhh no we have to face 30 yr old Demaryious Thomas" but I would venture to guess they would say "we better keep an eye on 31 yr old Desean Jacksons speed" ... Fuller took the top off, his route running was nothing spectacular, he was the gazelle and he benefited from some perfectly thrown balls by Watson. Thats what we need, not another guy who has relative speed to DHop and wont make the defense respect over the top. There is a reason why the offense looks so much better with Fuller in there.

That right there proves to me you either don't watch the games, or you can't properly scout and asses a player therefore I have no reason to continue this discussion with someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. Fuller has developed into a very good route runner, which makes teams actually have to play him letting his speed get the best of them. It's very easy to defend a receiver who can only run down the field fast, a lot harder to defend a guy who can run down the field fast, and runs crisp routes so he can break them off and make you pay for just playing the deep ball.

DT has been drawing every team he has faced top corner this year, but yea I guess teams don't have to account for him :rollseyes:

That right there proves to me you either don't watch the games, or you can't properly scout and asses a player therefore I have no reason to continue this discussion with someone who doesn't know what he is talking about. Fuller has developed into a very good route runner, which makes teams actually have to play him letting his speed get the best of them. It's very easy to defend a receiver who can only run down the field fast, a lot harder to defend a guy who can run down the field fast, and runs crisp routes so he can break them off and make you pay for just playing the deep ball.

DT has been drawing every team he has faced top corner this year, but yea I guess teams don't have to account for him :rolleyes:
|

Fify

DT has been drawing every team he has faced top corner this year, but yea I guess teams don't have to account for him :rollseyes:

Prove to me that Fuller is some route running phenom. What is so great about running ten yards down field and either running outward or inward? His ability to sit inside a zone is nice, does that make him some Grade A wideout? I dont care if you get all butthurt and "dont want to continue" a discussion and would rather just take your ball and go home. Whatever dude do you. Well Desean Jackson "only" runs down the field fast how many more TDs does he have than Fuller? Oh wait you'll say its because Fuller hasnt played all the games? Well another reason to upgrade the position if the dude cant stay healthy then what good is he? At least Thomas is healthy I'll give him that, hopefully this big push to sign Demaryious Thomas from around the league doesnt beat the Texans to the punch. :dontknowa

Prove to me that Fuller is some route running phenom. What is so great about running ten yards down field and either running outward or inward? His ability to sit inside a zone is nice, does that make him some Grade A wideout? I dont care if you get all butthurt and "dont want to continue" a discussion and would rather just take your ball and go home. Whatever dude do you. Well Desean Jackson "only" runs down the field fast how many more TDs does he have than Fuller? Oh wait you'll say its because Fuller hasnt played all the games? Well another reason to upgrade the position if the dude cant stay healthy then what good is he? At least Thomas is healthy I'll give him that, hopefully this big push to sign Demaryious Thomas from around the league doesnt beat the Texans to the punch. :dontknowa

Literally everyone who follows the Texans have mentioned how good of a route runner Fuller has become this year, but yea go on with your uninformed opinions because you rather be cool and edgy, then educated

Do you even watch the games?

Back