Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will the Texans get desperate in their search of a GM and HC?

Texansballer74

The Marine
All those deals were piss poor too.

Tunsil is being paid like a game changer - He isn't.

Martin isn't worth a plug nickel.

Cunningham can't cover or tackle .... 14m per was silly.

Mercilus shows up one game a year.

Stupid decisions - All of them including giving Watson what equates to 27% of the cap in 22 & 23.
Almost every team pays their guys. Meaning the players they doom worthy. And they cap in 22-23 might be much better for these teams.

Again why are you so mentally invested with this? I mean are you a major stockholder and will it cost you money in the near future?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That bold part is why I thought it best to wait another year before extending Watson.
At the very least have some understanding of where the cap is headed over that period of years.

In a time where 13-14% of the total cap is the upper end they gave him 20% of the current cap total and expect that to go lower.

Great Watson got paid - woohoo , what about the rest of the team.
This is why this why this will be known as the lost decade.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Again why are you so mentally invested with this? I mean are you a major stockholder and will it cost you money in the near future?
I want this team to win Superbowls .... Not just AFC South Championships Brian.

Cap space is limited .... if you want to build a good team you have to spend it wisely.

None of those contracts were "wise use of resources".

When you overpay one guy you have to cut corners somewhere else.

With the number of poor contracts this team has , its no wonder they are 1-6. They don't have the money to put good players in other positions.

I know , you think this is personal and all about Watson - That's far from the case .... AFC South Champions Brian!

Texansballer74

The Marine
I want this team to win Superbowls .... Not just AFC South Championships Brian.

Cap space is limited .... if you want to build a good team you have to spend it wisely.

None of those contracts were "wise use of resources".

When you overpay one guy you have to cut corners somewhere else.

With the number of poor contracts this team has , its no wonder they are 1-6. They don't have the money to put good players in other positions.

I know , you think this is personal and all about Watson - That's far from the case .... AFC South Champions Brian!
They are not 1-6 because of the contracts you doom to be bad. They’re 1-6 because of the drama and locker room distraction that was going on. Not only that but the coaching wasn’t putting this team in position to be successful. Starting off with the insane, clearly a personal decision by O’Brien to get rid of one of the best wide receivers in today’s game. Then he took on outlandish contracts in which are not working out for us. O’Brien also destroyed the defense to pay Paul.

This is the main reason why we’re in the state that we’re in.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It is more of a talent evaluation issue.

Along with allowing one’s personal feelings to get the best of them.

You don’t get rid of your core players unless you’re getting a better return.

They are not 1-6 because of the contracts you doom to be bad. They’re 1-6 because of the drama and locker room distraction that was going on. Not only that but the coaching wasn’t putting this team in position to be successful. Starting off with the insane, clearly a personal decision by O’Brien to get rid of one of the best wide receivers in today’s game. Then he took on outlandish contracts in which are not working out for us. O’Brien also destroyed the defense to pay Paul.

Sometimes I think we overvalue the players/talent on this team because it's the team we root for and for sure I am guilty as charged. But when I sit back at look at this roster what I see is what I think their level of play should be and perhaps they are not good as perceived. The defense is just a mess and its not scheme related. The OL is still a mess and perhaps it is scheme related. The RB situation is what it is, most knew David J was not going to regain any past form. Having a team that lacks talent or even under performs is a task in itself, but when you sprinkle in the absolute atrocity of the contracts involved it makes you want to puke. For the players its great but it severely handicaps the team and I'm not singling out any one player. The next GM and HC may suck but they will also get a pass because of the mess they inherit. This is why an experienced GM is needed especially if we end up with another 1st time head coach.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
That bold part is why I thought it best to wait another year before extending Watson.
At the very least have some understanding of where the cap is headed over that period of years.

In a time where 13-14% of the total cap is the upper end they gave him 20% of the current cap total and expect that to go lower.

Great Watson got paid - woohoo , what about the rest of the team.
I still don't get why you keep on harping about Watson's contract why it's not time for it to kick in yet.
I do agree that you criticize the other contracts, keep that up, and also show me some bad Tunsil's plays in the process.
Please be sure that you point the finger at the culprit that created this mess, too.
I wonder why you and @steelbtexan keep avoid mentioning O'Brien's name when discussing these matters?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I still don't get why you keep on harping about Watson's contract why it's not time for it to kick in yet.
I do agree that you criticize the other contracts, keep that up, and also show me some bad Tunsil's plays in the process.
Please be sure that you point the finger at the culprit that created this mess, too.
I wonder why you and @steelbtexan keep avoid mentioning O'Brien's name when discussing these matters?

If you can't comprehend the impact of Watson's future contract years .... I don't know what to tell you. Its far out of proportion to ANY previous contract , mainly because of COVID Economics.

These contracts are handed out with the idea that the cap continues to rise. Now the Texans give out that contract when its expected to contract. That was downright stupid and really has nothing to do with the guy who signed the contract.

When most top tier QB's are earning in the ballpark of 11-15% , The Texans handed out one that's 20% of the current cap - a cap that is expected to DROP by 10-20m which makes that contract now 27% of the total.

At 27% does it really matter who signed their john henry to that contract ? That's a terrible deal for the team. That's an unprecedented contract.

As for Tunsil - I never said he was a bad player. What I said is "he's not a game changer" and he's being paid like one.
He's statistically the best pass blocking LT in the league - Wonderful.

But can you line up behind that guy and get 1 or 2 yards when you need it ? You are paying him like you can .... but the reality is , no , you can't.

When you combine those two contracts in 22 & 23 , they add up to $61.4m and $64.15m.

That's 35.4% in 22 and 35.8% in 23 for two players.

Now add in all those other bad contracts - Mercilus , Cunningham , Martin ....

How do you build a quality team when you have trashed your cap with bloated contracts.

Texansballer74

The Marine
If you can't comprehend the impact of Watson's future contract years .... I don't know what to tell you. Its far out of proportion to ANY previous contract , mainly because of COVID Economics.

These contracts are handed out with the idea that the cap continues to rise. Now the Texans give out that contract when its expected to contract. That was downright stupid and really has nothing to do with the guy who signed the contract.

When most top tier QB's are earning in the ballpark of 11-15% , The Texans handed out one that's 20% of the current cap - a cap that is expected to DROP by 10-20m which makes that contract now 27% of the total.

At 27% does it really matter who signed their john henry to that contract ? That's a terrible deal for the team. That's an unprecedented contract.

As for Tunsil - I never said he was a bad player. What I said is "he's not a game changer" and he's being paid like one.

But can you line up behind that guy and get 1 or 2 yards when you need it ? You are paying him like you can .... but the reality is , no , you can't.

When you combine those two contracts in 22 & 23 , they add up to $61.4m and $64.15m.

How do you build a quality team when you have trashed your cap with bloated contracts.

Man the cap was trashed way before Watson got his contract. It was trashed when Bill O’Brien fired the main man over that department.

Last edited:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Man the cap was trashed way before Watson got his contract. It was trashed when Bill O’Brien fired the main man over this department.

Are you saying any of the following :

Watson's contract isn't part of the problem ?
Tunsil's contract isn't part of the problem ?
Watt's contract isn't part of the problem?
David Johnson's contract isn't part of the problem?
Mercilus Contract isn't part of the problem?
Martin's contract isn't part of the problem?
Cunningham's contract isn't part of the problem?

A simple yes or no will do for each one.

Really , what on earth are you defending here ? That contract is bloated no matter if he was the second coming of Joe Montana cause you couldn't afford Roger Craig , Dwight Clark and Jerry Rice.

Texansballer74

The Marine

Really , what on earth are you defending here ? That contract is bloated no matter if he was the second coming of Joe Montana cause you couldn't afford Roger Craig , Dwight Clark and Jerry Rice.
Not right now. And we don’t know what the cap situation will be in 2022. How about we cross that path when we get there. Every freaking team pays their main guys is my point.

Literally you’re thinking to deep into a situation we as the fan has no earthly control over. This is a new era and certain players on both side of the ball will get paid period.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

If by Paul you mean DW4 you would be correct.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Simple math

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Apparently math is for dummies.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I don't think you realize I'm not at all concerned with this season - I'm talking about the future. This year is a total loss.

I'm talking about how do we put a solid team around this all world QB when there just isn't cap space nor draft picks to make that happen.

2021 is a rebuild year , probably ~.500 at best.

2022 and 23 this new regime needs to start winning some playoff games. How do you expect to put the required talent around the all world QB when its already spent ?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not right now. And we don’t know what the cap situation will be in 2022. How about we cross that path when we get there. Every freaking team pays their main guys is my point.

Literally you’re thinking to deep into a situation we as the fan has no earthly control over. This is a new era and certain players on both side of the ball will get paid period.
Going to the old there's nothing we can do about it line.

Great

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Are you sure that the 2022 and 2023 are set?
Are you sure that contracts can't be rewritten?

There's no use crying spilled milk for the mess that frking Bill O'Brien left.

You just have to deal with it best you can.
I think it makes more sense to look at the top 5 or top 10 contracts rather than just 2.
If anything, I see the Chiefs line-up shedding up some fat first.
Really, there are several teams out there that have been paying and maxing out their cap space to go for it; the Texans won't be alone with cap problem.

If I'm the new GM, I'd have to look at how to construct a roster around those two guys (or just one, since I can't trade Watson).

Either a quick strike offense where I just need some really quick/fast guys in space and a big possession receivers. I'd need a guy from the Sweeney/Morris/Matzlan tree to implement a running game that goes hand in hand with that passing scheme.
Again, you don't need expensive powerful and/or fast RBs that are costly. There are a number of those choices from those schemes available as UDFA (either on the PS of some teams or in college, or at home).

Or a WCO where you can save money on the offensive line, etc.
In this scheme, I can deal aways Tunsil if the new HC/OC can find a guy that fits the scheme for less money.

On defense, I'd look for a DC experienced in Cover 2/Tampa 2.
It will be ugly bend but don't break defense for a couple of years, but I'd look for guys that can make play on the ball (they may lack elite speed and/or man coverage skill, but they come cheaper.)
Build an opportunistic defense, looking to create turnovers to make up for being a top tier defense.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Texans cap space on offense this year: Nearly $107M. Watson: $9.8M (4.5% of the cap)
Defensive spending: Less than $81M
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/positional/quarterback/2020/

No, it wasn't Watson that hurts the cap space figure this year; nor next year.
Why does this point gets ignored? For the resident capologists. What is the difference between:
1. Watson making $25M, Mercilus making $12M and Murray making $4M
2. Watson making $40M, with a rookie LB replacing Mercilus and a rookie/FA S replacing Murray?

The difference between #1 and #2 is potentially $4M? Are we saying that the Texans will not be able to compete because of $4M? If Watson was scheduled to make $30M or $35M or whatever is that percentage that many feel is that magical threshold, and the Texans are still over paying for guys like Murray and Mercilus, what's the difference.

IMHO, better drafting, low cost FA depth and better allocation of resources by a competent front office can fix many of the roster issues. What am I missing?

Last edited:

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Why does this point gets ignored? For the resident capologists. What is the difference between:
2. Watson making $40M, with a rookie LB replacing Mercilus and a rookie/FA S replacing Murray?

The difference between #1 and #2 is potentially $4M? Are we saying that the Texans will not be able to compete because of $4M? If Watson was scheduled to make $30M or $35M or whatever is that percentage that many feel is that magical threshold, and the Texans are still over paying for guys like Murray and Mercilus, what's the difference.

IMHO, better drafting, low cost FA depth and better allocation of resources by a competent front office can fix many of the roster issues. What am I missing?
They claim that the Seahawks can't compete because Wilson's cap space is 15.53% of the Hawks' total.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
They claim that the Seahawks can't compete because Wilson's cap space is 15.53% of the Hawks' total.

Did someone tell the Seahawks or their fans that Wilson's contract will prevent them from being competitive?

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member

I think Mercilus is a poor example .... He's the 11th highest paid OLB in the league but not near the 11th best.

In general you get what you pay for in terms of talent , if you want to replace the 11th best OLB in the league with a rookie 3rd round or later pick .... there's likely to be a very large talent gap between the two.

How many positions can you fill with cheap FA's and late round picks playing for peanuts and expect to be competitive with the top teams in the league ? Particularly at premium positions like edge rushers & corners ?

Essentially I'm disregarding the fact that Mercilus is stealing game checks - but replace him with any other edge rusher in the same pay grade and you get the point.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Texans cap space on offense this year: Nearly $107M. Watson: $9.8M (4.5% of the cap)
Defensive spending: Less than $81M
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/positional/quarterback/2020/

No, it wasn't Watson that hurts the cap space figure this year; nor next year.

Who's talking about this year (its already lost) or next year that's not likely to be a heck of a lot better ?

I'm talking about 22 / 23 ....

But .....

What's there to laugh about? You think you can build a team with little money?
Yet here you are arguing the counter ....

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Finally!!!! Thank you pointing out the obvious and correct answer.
“The Bill O’Brien Lost Decade”....this is the title NFL Films would use when showing the highlights of this shite show.
We're in the middle of the lost decade. If they make the wrong GM/HC hires it will be the lost 2 decades. Do you think Cal will get this call right? I dont.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
We're in the middle of the lost decade. If they make the wrong GM/HC hires it will be the lost 2 decades. Do you think Cal will get this call right? I dont.
Cal making the right decision got this organization in this mess. Problem, he’s hired the same firm that brought OB to the Texans and this time Easterby and McClain are going to try and help with the process.....of what, I have no idea.

Like I mentioned so many times in the past.....Cal should’ve reached out to Polian to help with firing Easterby, the trade deadline, and in the selection process of the new GM. A real football mind would’ve sent the proper message to NFL teams when the team announced they were open for business.

Now we can only stand back and wait-n-see.

On a side note, what I just pointed out would have no reflection on Watson, he’s like every other puzzle piece in this shite-show. He’ll only be as effective as the coaches and team they can figure out how to surround him with.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Cal making the right decision got this organization in this mess. Problem, he’s hired the same firm that brought OB to the Texans and this time Easterby and McClain are going to try and help with the process.....of what, I have no idea.

Like I mentioned so many times in the past.....Cal should’ve reached out to Polian to help with firing Easterby, the trade deadline, and in the selection process of the new GM. A real football mind would’ve sent the proper message to NFL teams when the team announced they were open for business.

Now we can only stand back and wait-n-see.

On a side note, what I just pointed out would have no reflection on Watson, he’s like every other puzzle piece in this shite-show. He’ll only be as effective as the coaches and team they can figure out how to surround him with.
He's getting to pick the HC of his choosing, so he should bear the responsibility of success or failure.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Who's talking about this year (its already lost) or next year that's not likely to be a heck of a lot better ?

But .....

I wasn't quoting you in the first instance.
I wasn't arguing with you in the second instance.
But if you like to use them to argue your point, I've already said I never disagree that you need cap space to build a good roster.
What I've been trying to say for the longest time is that people should not use this year or next against Watson because his contract has nothing to do with the cap space situation.

As to 2022, wait until 2021 sometimes and we'll see what happens.
You keep trying to disregard the things I said about other QBs' salaries rising and the possibility of a changing in the league cap space allowance.
I keep saying tomato and you keep trying to spin it as potato.

Do not move the goal post.
Stop blaming on Watson.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

But .....

Also, you forgot that I had already concurred with you that if Watson agrees to be traded, it migth be better for both him and the Texans.
It migth help the new GM and HC rebuild faster.

So please stop spinning the wheel.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
He’s getting a voice....not making the selection. If Watson was exclusively making the choice, no NFL coach at any level would sign on knowing his QB is somehow his new boss.
A voice,

You really think Bienemy isn't going to be the next HC? If he isn't it will be because Bienemy chose the Falcons etc... over the Texans. DW4 gets what DW4 wants.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
He's the 11th highest paid OLB in the league but not near the 11th best.

In general you get what you pay for in terms of talent , if you want to replace the 11th best OLB in the league with a rookie 3rd round or later pick .... there's likely to be a very large talent gap between the two.
First you say he’s 11th highest paid, not the 11th best. Then you say replacing the 11th best with a 3rd or later is a big talent drop off. Well, we wouldn’t be replacing the 11th best, just the 11th highest paid.

And as far as getting what you pay for equaling talent level, that’s not true either. Tons of players on their rookie contracts outplay those contracts. That’s what this team could use a lot of. Not overpaying guys like Murray, or making your center the 3rd highest paid, or making your OLB who struggles to get on the stat sheet week to week, the 11th highest paid.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
A voice,

You really think Bienemy isn't going to be the next HC? If he isn't it will be because Bienemy chose the Falcons etc... over the Texans. DW4 gets what DW4 wants.
If Bieniemy suspects he'll be working for Watson versus being his HC......I see Bieniemy taking the Falcons job. Falcons are actually much closer to being relevant than the Texans.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This is why this why this will be known as the lost decade.
Depending on how you frame the metrics, we are already in the second of two lost decades in H-town. Call it "The Owners' Learning Curve".

I mean, I know there's lots of four team "championships" to brag about and all, but not even making it to the AFC championship game at least once should be part of the equation.

We do have two 2-14 seasons, though.

You don’t get rid of your core players unless you’re getting a better return.
This statement should be stapled to Cal McNair's forehead. Written backwards, of course, so he can read it in the mirror.

If Bieniemy suspects he'll be working for Easterby versus being his HC......I see Bieniemy taking the Falcons job. Falcons are actually much closer to being relevant than the Texans.
FIFY :fingergun:

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
First you say he’s 11th highest paid, not the 11th best. Then you say replacing the 11th best with a 3rd or later is a big talent drop off. Well, we wouldn’t be replacing the 11th best, just the 11th highest paid.

And as far as getting what you pay for equaling talent level, that’s not true either. Tons of players on their rookie contracts outplay those contracts. That’s what this team could use a lot of. Not overpaying guys like Murray, or making your center the 3rd highest paid, or making your OLB who struggles to get on the stat sheet week to week, the 11th highest paid.

I guess you failed to read the bottom line where I said Mercilus is stealing checks.

On a "Normal team" you wouldn't be replacing that guy as he's earning his keep.

This isn't a normal team.

CWTexansFan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Contributor's Club
Depending on how you frame the metrics, we are already in the second of two lost decades in H-town. Call it "The Owners' Learning Curve".

I mean, I know there's lots of four team "championships" to brag about and all, but not even making it to the AFC championship game at least once should be part of the equation.

We do have two 2-14 seasons, though.

This statement should be stapled to Cal McNair's forehead. Written backwards, of course, so he can read it in the mirror.

FIFY :fingergun:
Correct, that would make the team barely legal in the century of suckitude. Couple more years of suckitude till they can drink. Yay

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Texans to form outside committee for coaching search: McNair

he Texans have an agreement with a search firm to help them find their next head coach.

Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair said he is also considering an ad hoc committee of four or five experts outside of the organization to help with their search.

McNair said Monday on Texans Radio the committee is not yet formed, but it could include a former player and other “leaders in football and sports.”

“To get insights and wisdom sort of on the process and how structures might look and people might fit in those structures and what the best way is to put this thing together,” McNair said. “So we’re going to look at putting that together real soon.”

Source
Here's some more of that boardroom collective mentality that appears to be so pervasive on Kirby that it's basically part of the organization's DNA now.

This news update aligns with what myself and others have heard through grapevines about the people Cal is surrounding himself with to find a GM and HC.

Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing, but only time will tell. I'm hoping for the best. :texflag:#blindsquirreltheory

My gut tells me that McClain being part of his "ad hoc committee" is becoming more and more known so the Texans are trying to get ahead of it. When I was told and it was confirmed by an unrelated party, I called up Sports 610 several times and asked. It was then confirmed to me again about McClain being one of the voices. And you can hear it in McClain's attitude and answers on various radio shows for further proof.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Here's some more of that boardroom collective mentality that appears to be so pervasive on Kirby that it's basically part of the organization's DNA now.

This news update aligns with what myself and others have heard through grapevines about the people Cal is surrounding himself with to find a GM and HC.

Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing, but only time will tell. I'm hoping for the best. :texflag:#blindsquirreltheory

My gut tells me that McClain being part of his "ad hoc committee" is becoming more and more known so the Texans are trying to get ahead of it. When I was told and it was confirmed by an unrelated party, I called up Sports 610 several times and asked. It was then confirmed to me again about McClain being one of the voices. And you can hear it in McClain's attitude and answers on various radio shows for further proof.
McClain was on 610 talking about Cal should talk to Wade Phillips and others about coaching candidates. If Cal listens to all of these people and "ad hoc committees", something tells me it's going to lead to "paralysis by analysis"

badboy

Hall of Fame

what exactly is Cal supposed to be listening to McClain say? That's what I don't get. Is John supposed to be giving him the view of the fans? Is McClain saying what would look good at the movies? Is he telling Cal about funny stories he heard about candidates for GM and HC? Every king needs his court jester (Mc) and his "PR" guy (easty) explaining to the soldiers why the king's way is correct. So I understand those two filling those roles. Perhaps Janice has an NFL guy she met or was recommended to her who is guiding her while the search committee is saying "Ahem listen to my voice and watch this hand over here" while the actual conjuring is going on behind the curtain of privacy.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
what exactly is Cal supposed to be listening to McClain say? That's what I don't get. Is John supposed to be giving him the view of the fans? Is McClain saying what would look good at the movies? Is he telling Cal about funny stories he heard about candidates for GM and HC? Every king needs his court jester (Mc) and his "PR" guy (easty) explaining to the soldiers why the king's way is correct. So I understand those two filling those roles. Perhaps Janice has an NFL guy she met or was recommended to her who is guiding her while the search committee is saying "Ahem listen to my voice and watch this hand over here" while the actual conjuring is going on behind the curtain of privacy.
True,

Pancakes is Janice/Cal's PR guy.