Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will the Texans be as bad as we think?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Why are you angry? Both are just opinions.
Dude get off the freaking gas. This crap doesn’t move me that way. This crap is actually funny as heck.

And I know it’s all opinions thus the reason why I told speedy what I told him. Thunder believe they possibly can win 9 games. That’s his opinion. So why charge in him up in a that type of manner. Read up above.

And reality is actually seeing the product on the field first. What we are doing is attempting to predict the future. No one knows how this season will unfold. And that’s reality.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm embracing the rebuild concept, as well. It's nothing to fear or hide from. This is was a crappy team from O'Brien's failures, and replacing everything from the ground up is expected and justifiable.

I don't perceive low expectations for the 2021 season to be pessimistic at all. Perhaps for an overly optimistic Texans fan it is, but as an NFL fan, I see it as realistic and pragmatic.

If anything, a complete rebuild under Caserio offers me some long term hope. It's big picture, multi-season type of hope.

And while I do not expect to see much in terms of wins this year, what I really want to see is a competitive team that has some fight in it. I look forward to both the schemes being implemented on offense & defense, as well as the players that will start forming some of the backbone of future years. I'd also like to see a special teams unit that is actually special and not just a bunch of JAGs going through the motions.

And hey, a low number of wins in 2021 means this team will have an off-season to actually enjoy when they can look at high round picks that can make immediate impact.
This is where I'm at.

The 2022 draft is loaded.

Browns & Titans won 11 games with defenses similar to ours. So I'm not of the belief that we have to have a top 10 defense to win 9 games (& I don't particularly think we'll win 9 games). But I believe a better run game will help both our offense & our defense tremendously.
I can see us winning 6 games with a last place schedule and a bit of luck ie.."staying healthy for the most part." I will be happy if we can at least compete in most of the games and be worth watching.

Last edited:

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Possibly 9 wins? Wow! I don't know how some of y'all can seriously convince yourself of stuff like that, but if that helps with your fandom then so be it.

We'll have a definite downgrade at QB. A WR group that isn't even what we had last year. RB is an upgrade in so much as it couldn't be worse than it was. Ingram is 11 years in and was phased out in Baltimore last year, and if DJ gets the bulk of the work over Lindsay, I don't think the upgrade makes that much difference. TE is probably as good as last year. Could be better if Warring steps up and they actually incorporate TEs into the offense. The OL could be improved just on coaching alone. Problem is, where do they get that coaching with no off-season workouts? And that still leaves you with a play maker issue. Where's the play makers?

On defense? Maybe a change of scheme has some sort of impact, but I don't necessarily see a negligible upgrade in talent. Saying a guy is better than Mercilus isn't really saying much. Where's the pass rush coming from? How's the secondary any better? Mitchell, Brooks and King were as bad as VH3 last season. Who's the play makers on that side?

The ball bounces funny, as it tends to do in football, the injury bug goes easy on them, and they catch some breaks against certain teams, I could give them 6 wins at most. But that's a lot of things that have to go right just to get to 6.

I also think some of y'all are downplaying some of the QBs we'll be facing. Who knows how Lawrence's rookie season goes or how much of an impact he has on winning some games. I just know Herbert won 7 games with the Chargers in his rookie season. 5-7 wins for the Jags would still make them one of the worst to average teams in the league, but that would be a huge improvement for them.

And if the Texans signed Wentz, you'd all be pumping him up pointing to his 3 years prior to last season where he was 25-15, 81 TD, 21 picks, and 98.3 PR, just like Taylor is being pumped up for his 3 years in Buffalo. But since Wentz is on the bad team, let's just look at last season and chalk him up as garbage.

Look, I get wanting your team to do well, compete, steal some W's and not embarrass you as a fan. I don't get burying your head in the sand and ignoring some of the realities going on with them. The last regime stripped this organization of everything, then the rising star QB pulled his shenanigans. The new regime isn't going to fix that overnight with the very little impact on free agency that they had and limited draft capital.

9 wins?

How ‘bout we start planning a ******* SB parade? Ya feel better now?
I said 6-8 with 9 possible if we get lucky breaks. That means winning 6 is definitely a possibility. Do you think 6 is too high?

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I said 6-8 with 9 possible if we get lucky breaks. That means winning 6 is definitely a possibility. Do you think 6 is too high?
I think it will take lucky breaks to get them to 6.

They aren't going to have anywhere near the same pass game as they had. 4th last year, no better than 28th in Taylor's 3 years in Buffalo. Even if the running game improves, which at 31 last year, won't take much, I definitely don't see it as one of the best in the game like Buffalo with Taylor, or the Ravens the last 2 years "with Culley". The offense will be down, and with a defense that who knows if they can make stops, because they sure couldn't last year, I think you see where it's going there.

I believe he said from 0-4. More and likely just 2 wins. We don't have any talent at all, therefore 6 wins is too much.
Can't stop crying, can you? And nowhere have I ever said specifically 0-4. I have said I'd take the under on 5, which is the favorite in Vegas BTW, so I guess you can cry to them about wait and see, don't know how it's going to play out, wah, wah, wah, but I've never said they'd go winless. So you can stop lying about me as well. Thanks.

Texansballer74

The Marine

They aren't going to have anywhere near the same pass game as they had. 4th last year, no better than 28th in Taylor's 3 years in Buffalo. Even if the running game improves, which at 31 last year, won't take much, I definitely don't see it as one of the best in the game like Buffalo with Taylor, or the Ravens the last 2 years "with Culley". The offense will be down, and with a defense that who knows if they can make stops, because they sure couldn't last year, I think you see where it's going there.

Can't stop crying, can you? And nowhere have I ever said specifically 0-4. I have said I'd take the under on 5, which is the favorite in Vegas BTW, so I guess you can cry to them about wait and see, don't know how it's going to play out, wah, wah, wah, but I've never said they'd go winless. So you can stop lying about me as well. Thanks.
Bwhahaha crying. Yes you can’t stop crying whenever someone shows a little optimistic.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Bwhahaha crying. Yes you can’t stop crying whenever someone shows a little optimistic.
Where am I crying? Every one of my posts I try to lay everything out. You're the one replying with "let's cancel the season", "you're 1000% right", "we don't know how it's going to play out", "how about we wait and see". That's what you add to the conversation. Great job.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Where am I crying? Every one of my posts I try to lay everything out. You're the one replying with "let's cancel the season", "you're 1000% right", "we don't know how it's going to play out", "how about we wait and see". That's what you add to the conversation. Great job.
That’s what you call being realistic right. Reality is what you mentioned above right. So heck yes we will have to wait and see versus continually arguing against any type of optimism

And quit it with the that all you add bull crap. Jesus!! Smh

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
That’s what you call being realistic right. Reality is what you mentioned above right. So heck yes we will have to wait and see versus continually arguing against any type of optimism

And quit it with the that all you add bull crap. Jesus!! Smh
:hankpalm:
Keep shaking those pom poms baby!!!!!!

amazing80

Hall of Fame

I can see that happening too. I just think we have enough offensive weapons to remain In the 13-18 passing game and similar for rushing. Really to me, the questions remain on defense. If we can be average on defense, we have a shot to be an average team, near .500. If the defense fails, we will suck.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I can see that happening too. I just think we have enough offensive weapons to remain In the 13-18 passing game and similar for rushing. Really to me, the questions remain on defense. If we can be average on defense, we have a shot to be an average team, near .500. If the defense fails, we will suck.
What are the offensive weapons? Cooks and.....?? Because Kelly is still the OC I expect the design to look pretty familiar. That doesn't instill much confidence. The Texans were 18th in points last year, which was 5th most in their history, believe it or not. Even with an improved run game, and mind you, 20th would be a huge improvement, I don't see where the points are coming from if the pass game falls off to middling.

5th most points they've ever scored and still had a point differential of -80. I think the offense will take a step or 2 back, but even if it worked the way the most optimistic of optimists want it too, it's not going to matter much if the defense is still shit. Hell, I think an improvement from them to say 20th or so, won't be enough to matter a whole lot. I think they'd need to be top 5-ish to support where I think the offense will be, and to the dismay of a certain peeps around here, they don't have the talent for that. Not sure they've got the talent to break the top 20, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

amazing80

Hall of Fame
What are the offensive weapons? Cooks and.....?? Because Kelly is still the OC I expect the design to look pretty familiar. That doesn't instill much confidence. The Texans were 18th in points last year, which was 5th most in their history, believe it or not. Even with an improved run game, and mind you, 20th would be a huge improvement, I don't see where the points are coming from if the pass game falls off to middling.

5th most points they've ever scored and still had a point differential of -80. I think the offense will take a step or 2 back, but even if it worked the way the most optimistic of optimists want it too, it's not going to matter much if the defense is still shit. Hell, I think an improvement from them to say 20th or so, won't be enough to matter a whole lot. I think they'd need to be top 5-ish to support where I think the offense will be, and to the dismay of a certain peeps around here, they don't have the talent for that. Not sure they've got the talent to break the top 20, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Cooks, Roberts, Cobb, Coutee, plus the additions on the OL and in the backfield. QB is def. a downgrade, but Taylor is average if he can remain healthy.

Defense is trash. So unless these one-off guys play well and the scheme hides our issues, we could be terrible.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Taylor is average if he can remain healthy.
Eh... Taylor is a play maker. He’s not Houdini in a phone booth, but he’s a play maker just the same. When the read says keep & run, I’m confident Taylor will pull the ball in & take the easy yards.

He also might throw the short intermediate when the smart thing is to throw the short intermediate.

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy Watson’s style. But at the same time I agree it wasn’t conducive to sustaining drives.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Cooks, Roberts, Cobb, Coutee, plus the additions on the OL and in the backfield. QB is def. a downgrade, but Taylor is average if he can remain healthy.

Defense is trash. So unless these one-off guys play well and the scheme hides our issues, we could be terrible.
Roberts a weapon on offense? Dude hasn't taken more than 25% of offensive snaps since 2014. He's not going to be a factor on offense, other than maybe getting them good field position on returns. Coulter has 6 career snaps under his belt. Couldn't even get on the field ahead of Coutee and Hanson. Cobb is average at best and a long way from his years of prime production. Hell, I'd look to Conley before any of those guys and even he hasn't done much. You want to consider those guys weapons, that's fine, but I'd consider those weapons being knives that you're bringing to a gun fight. I just don't see any play makers other than Cooks.

As far as Taylor goes, he really wasn't all that in Buffalo. 28th, 30th and 31st in passing his 3 years there, BUT Buffalo had a top end run game to rely on, which included Taylor using his feet. He's not going to have that kind of run game here even if they are improved. And he isn't in his mid 20's anymore like he was then, which likely isn't that big a deal unless you're a running QB taking hits into your 30's. Of course he hasn't played that much so there's that.

And again, the run/pass ratio may be a little different, but with Kelly still the OC, I don't expect the design of the offensive to be much different. Still likely to have the same flaws we've been noticing for years. Multiple receivers in the same area and such. I really wish they would have brought in a new OC, even if Watson was still going to be the QB. Don't care that he'd been in it for 4 years, I think it was holding him back and that we'd really see him flourish in something different. That doesn't matter now, of course, other than we've seen this offense when #4 wasn't driving it. It hasn't been pretty.

EDIT#- Sorry, I saw Coulter where you said Coutee. He's still really young so maybe he can still develop into something worthwhile. Gotta fix his ball on the ground problems though.

Even if healthy I consider Taylor to be below average and the expectation should be for him to be the ultimate game manager. IMO there are not enough talented weapons around him to get excited about the offense. To be honest, I'm more interested in seeing how the defense performs whether good or bad.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

You guys tie the talent of individual players to overall team success too much.

You're counting a defensive shortcoming against the offense. As has been noted SEVERAL times on here by me and others, last year the Texans lost 8 games by 7 or less. They were in alot of games late last year with the absolute worst defense in the league. & most of those close losses were b/c the defense couldn't hold or get a damn TO to save their life when the team needed it not b/c the offense was stagnant.

Yes, we will definitely take a step back in the passing game, but the run game will most likely take a step forward. How much? We'll all get a chance to see. but there's definitely a reason to be optimistic about it improving significantly. Mostly b/c we were dead last in running the ball last year. But for all the knock on the lack of talent that you say we don't have, all 3 guys in the backfield are very capable backs. and with an o-line that looks to finally have some depth & purports to be better on paper than what we had last year and pretty much the entire BoB era, I can see all three of those guys having a synergistic effect on the offense that makes it look alot better than the individual talent probably says it should be. Fold in the fact that your qb can also run it............ & when he does throw it, he doesn't turn the ball over much & you have the ingredients for a classic ball control offense.......... that can work....As witnessed with the Browns last year. And even if the defense still isn't great...say it improves to only 20th like you said, that's still a helluva lot better than where it was last year.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Even if healthy I consider Taylor to be below average and the expectation should be for him to be the ultimate game manager. IMO there are not enough talented weapons around him to get excited about the offense. To be honest, I'm more interested in seeing how the defense performs whether good or bad.
Define talented for me please. I'd like to get an understanding of what you guys deem as being talented enough to be a factor in this game.

Cooks is coming off a 1000 yard recieving season for his 4 different team in his career.
Lindsay averaged 4.3 ypg lasts year but only played in 11 games. If he's just healthy for all 17 games next year he can give us 700+ yds rushing....... splitting carries. He's also has home run hitter ability in that if he can clear the box he can take it to the house. The only reason he was released is b/c the Broncos paid Gordon a boatload of money and they didn't want to tie up that much money in the backfield. Also was voted by the players as the 68th best player in the league in 2019.

Ingram is coming off a 1000 yd season and pro bowl just in 2019...

DJ31 ran for 700 yds behind 1 of the worst coached & run blocking o-lines in the league last year. With even a modicum of help upfront he could've done more.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Big if, but if Lindsay is healthy I think he'll be a game changer

banned1976

sleeper mode
How do anyone know what the defense will do when we haven't seen any freaking games played under this new regime and with these new players?
Of course nobody knows for sure. We can only make guesses based upon the last bit of data we have access to. The last bit of data we have is what the Texans did last season along with changes made this off season.

Listen, if the Texans defense ranked top five last season and players lost versus players gained equaled no significant difference, I'd say I expect the Texans defense to be ranked within the top five again.

I wrote about the Texans defense last off season a lot while most people were laser focused on Watson and the offense. I wrote that I didn't feel like it would be good because I remembered what they did in the final 8 games of 2019. They had been trending down, down, down. They hit rock bottom last season and until they have the assets to make significant changes on that side of the ball, I expect they will struggle. But I'm not saying I know that for sure.

As a side note, I'm not a fan of Lovie Smith's defense. He was the defensive coordinator (and HC) of Illinois football team which gave up a ton of points. His reasoning, from his own mouth - “In college, we weren’t able to run our entire system,” Smith said. “Most of the time you go three receivers, we kept our base defense on the field. We didn’t play our nickel package as much." Guess what, Lovie? NFL teams run 3 wide receiver sets too.

Dejaview

All Pro
Of course nobody knows for sure. We can only make guesses based upon the last bit of data we have access to. The last bit of data we have is what the Texans did last season along with changes made this off season.

Listen, if the Texans defense ranked top five last season and players lost versus players gained equaled no significant difference, I'd say I expect the Texans defense to be ranked within the top five again.

I wrote about the Texans defense last off season a lot while most people were laser focused on Watson and the offense. I wrote that I didn't feel like it would be good because I remembered what they did in the final 8 games of 2019. They had been trending down, down, down. They hit rock bottom last season and until they have the assets to make significant changes on that side of the ball, I expect they will struggle. But I'm not saying I know that for sure.

As a side note, I'm not a fan of Lovie Smith's defense. He was the defensive coordinator (and HC) of Illinois football team which gave up a ton of points. His reasoning, from his own mouth - “In college, we weren’t able to run our entire system,” Smith said. “Most of the time you go three receivers, we kept our base defense on the field. We didn’t play our nickel package as much." Guess what, Lovie? NFL teams run 3 wide receiver sets too.
I saw that LS quote before and I can’t exactly determine what he meant. Since he said “we weren’t able to run our entire system” did He not trust his nickel package? If the base D wasn’t working did he feel his nickel was worse? Why else couldn’t they run their entire system “most of the time....”

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
The Texans defense will take another off-season and a 2022 NFL Draft that focuses on providing it talent. 2021 needs to be the season that the Texans finally get an offensive identity.....and I like the talent that Caserio is bringing in to help.....even with Watson out of the picture. If the OL can be better it will just make every other facet of the offense better. 2020 was a very predictable offense and only got where it got due to Watson. 2021 can be an interesting year even with Taylor as QB1 if Culley, Pep, and Kelly can diversify the attack.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Anyone sold on Weaver as a DC? I'm thinking it was like club med on Kirby getting ready for games, by Jj's criticism about his teammates & the results we saw. Just like on offense, it looked like they had no idea who they were playing until it was too late.

If Lovie & his crew can get these guys to put in the work I have no problem believing a less talented group could play better than the group we had last season.

That's not to say we'll be top 20 or anything.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Anyone sold on Weaver as a DC? I'm thinking it was like club med on Kirby getting ready for games, by Jj's criticism about his teammates & the results we saw. Just like on offense, it looked like they had no idea who they were playing until it was too late.

If Lovie & his crew can get these guys to put in the work I have no problem believing a less talented group could play better than the group we had last season.

One advantage to the 4-3 is that the defensive linemen are responsible for only one gap.

Dejaview

All Pro

This plus NC in his interview the other day stressed several points he’s looking for in his players. Relevant here is that they have to be able to make adjustments and corrections. Maybe to stress his points he also pointed out that last years players will be judged by the same standards and will be replaced if their competition better suits his point list (paraphrasing). Accountability is finally being stressed.

Define talented for me please. I'd like to get an understanding of what you guys deem as being talented enough to be a factor in this game.

Cooks is coming off a 1000 yard recieving season for his 4 different team in his career.
Lindsay averaged 4.3 ypg lasts year but only played in 11 games. If he's just healthy for all 17 games next year he can give us 700+ yds rushing....... splitting carries. He's also has home run hitter ability in that if he can clear the box he can take it to the house. The only reason he was released is b/c the Broncos paid Gordon a boatload of money and they didn't want to tie up that much money in the backfield. Also was voted by the players as the 68th best player in the league in 2019.

DJ31 ran for 700 yds behind 1 of the worst coached & run blocking o-lines in the league last year. With even a modicum of help upfront he could've done more.
Yes talent is subjective but I typically look at 3 things: natural ability, skill set and production. I also tend to look at the position groups as a whole when setting my expectations. There are outliers such as a top notch O-line making an average or below RB look amazing. Looking at this offense outside of Cooks where do you see above average talent at the skill positions (DW4 not considered)...Lindsay could be a bright spot, but I'm not sold on him. Yes the Broncos have money tied up in Gordon, but coming into the 2020 league year Lindsay had better stats the previous 2 years, would have been cheaper if extended and is younger than Gordon.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Yes talent is subjective but I typically look at 3 things: natural ability, skill set and production. I also tend to look at the position groups as a whole when setting my expectations. There are outliers such as a top notch O-line making an average or below RB look amazing. Looking at this offense outside of Cooks where do you see above average talent at the skill positions (DW4 not considered)...Lindsay could be a bright spot, but I'm not sold on him. Yes the Broncos have money tied up in Gordon, but coming into the 2020 league year Lindsay had better stats the previous 2 years, would have been cheaper if extended and is younger than Gordon.
Lindsay was a smaller guy not really meant to be “the” guy but his production was top notch. I think they thought they saw an opportunity to get a bellcow back in Gordon figuring Lindsay a hometown kid wouldn’t want to leave and would take the restricted tender they wound up rescinding b/c he wanted a longer term deal.

but I don’t think “above average” is necessary for talent to really thrive and be a difference maker on the field for a team b/c simply put, everyone isn’t gonna be that & the best teams usually only have 1-3 guys max anyway who you can consider that.
The Fit matters more over the long haul. Whether these guys accept their role also matters more over the long haul too. Can’t be bringing in guys who play better as man press CB’s to play in Tampa 2 zone coverage schemes. Likewise you Can’t be bringing in selfish guys that come here looking at their own prospects rather than looking at how they can help the team as a whole.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
[/QUOT
I think Conley will give as much as the WR's that were playing last yr. Conley is just as athletically gifted and a whole lot more available than WFV ever was.

GanadoUHCoog

Waterboy
This team’s ceiling is 6-7 wins and floor is probably 3-4. How many of our starters could start on other teams? I expect our offense to putter along against bad or average defenses and get demolished against good defenses. Nothing going on the offense. Same story on defense. Some close games and a few Ws but we will get blown out by 10+ multiple times this year and never sniff .500 so yes a garbage year. Hopefully 2020-2021 are our darkest seasons and it is better after that.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
This team’s ceiling is 6-7 wins and floor is probably 3-4. How many of our starters could start on other teams? I expect our offense to putter along against bad or average defenses and get demolished against good defenses. Nothing going on the offense. Same story on defense. Some close games and a few Ws but we will get blown out by 10+ multiple times this year and never sniff .500 so yes a garbage year. Hopefully 2020-2021 are our darkest seasons and it is better after that.
Hopefully, 2021 is the yr of the tank and Caserio finds his QB and has a bevey of draft picks in what should be 1 of the deepest drafts of all time due to the Covid.

Texanmike02

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
With Watson throwing to Fuller, no team is ever out of it. We shouldn't break our eggs before they've catches. It's not hard to imagine this team going out there and putting up just enough punts to change the game and swing the tide and as we know a rising tide sinks loose lips.

banned1976

sleeper mode

Anthony Weaver was a rookie DC last season that was dealt a really bad hand. The Texans defense was awful in the second half of 2019. They were a rapidly declining unit talent wise.

I'm not sold on Weaver as a DC. I didn't think he was ready for that role in 2020. But this was Bill O'Brien's team. I'm not about to lay blame on Weaver for the apparent shitty attitude from players.

IMHO, Caserio and the McNair's failed to fully address the root cause of the problem. If anything, the players are going to be even more distracted this season. And the defense lost their moral compass in Watt (yes, his production was declining and his contract dictated his release, but he still will be missed because he was the only person talking about accountability) and still have plenty of holdovers from last season on that unit that were massive disappointments. Cunningham, Mercilus and Justin Reid play declined in 2020 on the field and Roby, arguable their best player on defense the first half of the season cheated and got caught. So I don't know what to expect from him.

Toro Bravo

Rookie

DJ31 also averaged 4.7 ypa. I like our RB stable but could see us adding a young RB as undrafted FA. It depends as much on OL as RB.
Does anyone actually know anything about Scottie Phillips?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Lindsay was a smaller guy not really meant to be “the” guy but his production was top notch. I think they thought they saw an opportunity to get a bellcow back in Gordon figuring Lindsay a hometown kid wouldn’t want to leave and would take the restricted tender they wound up rescinding b/c he wanted a longer term deal.

but I don’t think “above average” is necessary for talent to really thrive and be a difference maker on the field for a team b/c simply put, everyone isn’t gonna be that & the best teams usually only have 1-3 guys max anyway who you can consider that.
The Fit matters more over the long haul. Whether these guys accept their role also matters more over the long haul too. Can’t be bringing in guys who play better as man press CB’s to play in Tampa 2 zone coverage schemes. Likewise you Can’t be bringing in selfish guys that come here looking at their own prospects rather than looking at how they can help the team as a whole.
Please explain why a Press man cover CB cannot work in cover two? If the wide receiver is taken out of the game that works for me.

badboy

Hall of Fame
With Watson throwing to Fuller, no team is ever out of it. We shouldn't break our eggs before they've catches. It's not hard to imagine this team going out there and putting up just enough punts to change the game and swing the tide and as we know a rising tide sinks loose lips.
I think the number of punts we will be forced to take will cause a tidal wave.