Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will the Texans be as bad as we think?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I mentioned in another thread that Taylor likely won't be throwing a whole lot of deep bombs so a short passing game will be the predominant theme of this offense.
Caserio is going to have to get him some good weapons for that to happen and the QBs best friend is a TE with great hands.
A quality receiver in the slot will also be necessary.
And a quality running game to take the pressure off Taylor to have to throw 40 times a game. That is not his strength.
So, to make the whole mix work better, our oline must be more effective than last year and I am sure it will be with the changes we have seen.
Not saying we are winning our division, but we may be better than the talking heads think.
It comes down to the coaches now.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I mentioned in another thread that Taylor likely won't be throwing a whole lot of deep bombs so a short passing game will be the predominant theme of this offense.
Caserio is going to have to get him some good weapons for that to happen and the QBs best friend is a TE with great hands.
And a quality running game to take the pressure off Taylor to have to throw 40 times a game. That is not his strength.
So, to make the whole mix work better, our oline must be more effective than last year and I am sure it will be with the changes we have seen.
Not saying we are winning our division, but we may be better than the talking heads think.

All true.

I still prefer a defensive draft.
I just can't see us outscoring other teams.
Stating the obvious... Our defense was terrible.

:coffee:

Texansballer74

The Marine

Taylor won't be throwing 40 times a game lol.

You have Cooks, Roberts, Coutee, Cobb, Moncrief, Conley, Coulter, Erickson and Moore.

We know what Cooks bring to the table. Coutee showed pretty good potential once Fuller went down and without OB breathing down his neck. Hopefully one of those other receivers will step up.

Tight End: Atkins, Brown, Warring and Izzo.

We know what Atkins brings to the table. Brown was a big surprise last year. We're all hoping and expecting Warring to show up to the party. This position is set and it's a pretty talented group.

Running backs: Johnson, Lindsay, Ingram, and Hillard.

This is a pretty talented group as well.

Therefore TT has weapons. Let's see how Kelly uses them.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
All true.

I still prefer a defensive draft.
I just can't see us outscoring other teams.
Stating the obvious... Our defense was terrible.

:coffee:
I'm looking forward to the draft, but also to the waiver wire once teams start cutting. The last cut to the 53 should yield a good player or three to maybe upgrade our roster - raw rookies from the mid to later rounds don't inspire confidence in upgrading our D - or our O for that matter.
We still get third pick on the waiver wire and the good teams will have to make some difficult decisions.
We will also have the chance to rob practise squads as well - Rick was quite good at that, hopefully NC is too.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Taylor won't be throwing 40 times a game lol.

You have Cooks, Roberts, Coutee, Cobb, Moncrief, Conley, Coulter, Erickson and Moore.

We know what Cooks bring to the table. Coutee showed pretty good potential once Fuller went down and without OB breathing down his neck. Hopefully one of those other receivers will step up.

Tight End: Atkins, Brown, Warring and Izzo.

We know what Atkins brings to the table. Brown was a big surprise last year. We're all hoping and expecting Warring to show up to the party. This position is set and it's a pretty talented group.

Running backs: Johnson, Lindsay, Ingram, and Hillard.

This is a pretty talented group as well.

Therefore TT has weapons. Let's see how Kelly uses them.
I’d be pretty stoked if C- Landon Dickerson (AL) was to slip to 67. The Texans have made some nice signings on the OL but a young Center like LD would just be too tough to let slide on by if he’s there for the taking.

067- Landon Dickerson, C (AL)
110- Trey Sermon, RB (Ohio St)

-or-

067- Michael Carter, RB (NC)
110- Ben Cleveland, OG (GA)

banned1976

sleeper mode
I’d be pretty stoked if C- Landon Dickerson (AL) was to slip to 67. The Texans have made some nice signings on the OL but a young Center like LD would just be too tough to let slide on by if he’s there for the taking.

-or-

Among centers Landon Dickerson was #1 in the nation in run blocking, 2nd overall offensive ranking. He was tied for 4th in quarterback hurries with only 2, and tied for 10th in quarterback pressures allowed with 5. You're right, if he's there at #67 you have to give serious thought in drafting him but I'm concerned about his knee. I'd defer to the medical team to help me make a final decision.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

-or-

Love LD however I wouldn't invest in a guy that has had 2 ACL surgeries on the same knee.

The only way I go offense in this draft is if there's a QB I really like and if that happened I would give up all 3 of the picks you listed to get him. If a stud WR fell to 67 I would consider that position too.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Love LD however I wouldn't invest in a guy that has had 2 ACL surgeries on the same knee.

The only way I go offense in this draft is if there's a QB I really like and if that happened I would give up all 3 of the picks you listed to get him. If a stud WR fell to 67 I would consider that position too.
If Creed Humphrey C is there and he is the highest rated on the board you have to take him. Has serious future starting Center potential.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Will Caserio only be taking character guys like previous regimes?
I listened carefully to his speil on Friday.
Sounds to me he likes a combination of smarts, leadership, proto-typical size, athleticism, explosiveness and talent.
Those are usually found in the first round.🙄

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The team will be competitive. The question for me is on defense. We seriously lack quality players on defense. I see us hovering around .500 with the schedule. A couple lucky breaks pushes over the edge.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I listened carefully to his speil on Friday.
Sounds to me he likes a combination of smarts, leadership, proto-typical size, athleticism, explosiveness and talent.
Those are usually found in the first round.🙄
He said something else: Is that player better than the player currently on the team, at that position? Will he be an improvement at that position?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The team will be competitive. The question for me is on defense. We seriously lack quality players on defense. I see us hovering around .500 with the schedule. A couple lucky breaks pushes over the edge.
Which teams on our schedule do you think will be in the top half of the AFC? How do you think the NFC West is going to do this year?

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
We do not know this. With so many new players/starters, Culley could easily, with his coaching background, bring in Reid's playbook.
OC is Tim Kelly, an OB protege. Culley has never been a coordinator and does not bring any specific systems of offense or defense with him. Playbooks of Lovie and Tim will be implemented per John McClain.

True that DB things are not looking all peachy on the outside looking in. I'm just trying see things a little differently.

This has been by far the worst offseason after a terrible season. The only bright side is Nick doing his best to field a competitive roster in spite of the funk he signed into.
My perspective is 4 wins with Watson and JJ on the roster. Now the roster is much less talented, so I'm not sure how I can perceive this team being better than last season. JMO

amazing80

Hall of Fame
The team will be competitive. The question for me is on defense. We seriously lack quality players on defense. I see us hovering around .500
Which teams on our schedule do you think will be in the top half of the AFC? How do you think the NFC West is going to do this year?
Buffalo, Cleveland, Indy, Tennessee, with Miami being a fringe team. I think the NFC West will be tough, but think we can potentially hang with Arizona and LA Chargers. I see 6-8 wins if we are average with 9 possible if we get some lucky breaks. 0-16 if we implode lol

AcresHomesTexan

No Longer Arlington: Escaped From Jerry's World
Staff member
The Texans roster very different than its been well in ever. I think from player 20 to 53, its better than we are used, but that's the JAGs, fill in portion of the team. The Texans have been usually top heavy, and since "51-7" the top save the LT is pretty much gone.

My sentiment from early in the off-season was that what ever worse possible outcome that is what I am expecting. the worse possible outcome (if you think total rebuild) is for the Texans to be good enough not to be awful, but awful enough not be good. this deeper roster is built just for that...smelling all sorts of 6-10 (sorry 6-11 or 7-10) draft pick 10.

I would welcome to be wrong in either direction.

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Nope...

everyone’s assuming Jax will be much better b/c they’re getting Lawrence..he’ll still be a rookie tho coming in with a rookie NFL coach with a team that lost to us twice last year. IOW’s the talent on that team ain’t gonna be too much better if at all better than us despite having a young qb for the future.

Detroit...Goff couldn’t really do a lot with Ridiculous talent in LA. He’s going to a less talented team in Det....with a rookie HC.

im also not all that convinced Wentz is a sure fire upgrade over Rivers. Their defense will still be pretty good, but even last year with 0 run game and a putrid defense we played them tight both games. Yeah DW4 was a big part of that and we won’t have him, but our defense should be better than they were last year and so should our run game. Plus we always play them tough even when we suck.

Denver has mostly been a train wreck since Elway took over & I don’t expect them to markedly better next year despite Miller coming back.. should be a decent game for us to have a chance at winning.

Jets...see Detroit above.

Carolina..whose scared of them.

That’s 8 games right there that I expect us to be in. This isn’t even taking into account what injuries can do to a team. SF went from the SB to picking top 10-12 in 1 year mostly b/c of injuries.

Texian

Hall of Fame

I still like building from the inside out with a feared OL that can run on anyone. So Quinn Meinerz C is my guy at #67.

Last edited:

banned1976

sleeper mode
The cap or the contracts will be manipulated by then especially if one of those you're referencing is DW4. What I fear the most is a complete bomb in 2021 with no true #1 prospect if the Texans have the top pick.
Yeah, Watson and Tunsil.

I too believe they'll figure something out with Watson. He won't be here to consume over 20% of the cap in 2022.

2022 is the year I hope to see improvement from the Texans. They'll have their full compliment of picks and probably a few extra day 1 and day 2 picks via a Watson trade. It might still be rough going for the Texans with a bunch of young players but they should be fun to watch.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Based on this board.....the Texans are setting the table for top 3 position in the 2022 NFL Draft. With that out of the way, who the Texans draft this season isn’t as relevant other than hoping they find a couple of hidden gems and depth with the rest of the picks.

Offense is deep in this draft and I could only hope they’ll get some pieces that might make this unit a bit more exciting.

Give me C- Quinn Meinerz (UWW), RB- Trey Sermon (Ohio St), and WR- Nico Collins (MI).....and I’d consider this a pretty special draft. Yeah, I’ve come around on Meinerz if he’s still on the board at 67. Could be tough if C- Landon Dickerson (AL) is on the board as well.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Based on this board.....the Texans are setting the table for top 3 position in the 2022 NFL Draft. With that out of the way, who the Texans draft this season isn’t as relevant other than hoping they find a couple of hidden gems and depth with the rest of the picks.

Offense is deep in this draft and I could only hope they’ll get some pieces that might make this unit a bit more exciting.

Give me C- Quinn Meinerz (UWW), RB- Trey Sermon (Ohio St), and WR- Nico Collins (MI).....and I’d consider this a pretty special draft. Yeah, I’ve come around on Meinerz if he’s still on the board at 67. Could be tough if C- Landon Dickerson (AL) is on the board as well.
On the cool they might as well forfeit this season.

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
Cautious optimism.

Seems like a lot of cancer is/will be gone. Namely O'Brien, Watson.

But unfortunately no JJ leadership around anymore either.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The team will be competitive. The question for me is on defense. We seriously lack quality players on defense. I see us hovering around .500

Buffalo, Cleveland, Indy, Tennessee, with Miami being a fringe team. I think the NFC West will be tough, but think we can potentially hang with Arizona and LA Chargers. I see 6-8 wins if we are average with 9 possible if we get some lucky breaks. 0-16 if we implode lol
Possibly 9 wins? Wow! I don't know how some of y'all can seriously convince yourself of stuff like that, but if that helps with your fandom then so be it.

We'll have a definite downgrade at QB. A WR group that isn't even what we had last year. RB is an upgrade in so much as it couldn't be worse than it was. Ingram is 11 years in and was phased out in Baltimore last year, and if DJ gets the bulk of the work over Lindsay, I don't think the upgrade makes that much difference. TE is probably as good as last year. Could be better if Warring steps up and they actually incorporate TEs into the offense. The OL could be improved just on coaching alone. Problem is, where do they get that coaching with no off-season workouts? And that still leaves you with a play maker issue. Where's the play makers?

On defense? Maybe a change of scheme has some sort of impact, but I don't necessarily see a negligible upgrade in talent. Saying a guy is better than Mercilus isn't really saying much. Where's the pass rush coming from? How's the secondary any better? Mitchell, Brooks and King were as bad as VH3 last season. Who's the play makers on that side?

The ball bounces funny, as it tends to do in football, the injury bug goes easy on them, and they catch some breaks against certain teams, I could give them 6 wins at most. But that's a lot of things that have to go right just to get to 6.

I also think some of y'all are downplaying some of the QBs we'll be facing. Who knows how Lawrence's rookie season goes or how much of an impact he has on winning some games. I just know Herbert won 7 games with the Chargers in his rookie season. 5-7 wins for the Jags would still make them one of the worst to average teams in the league, but that would be a huge improvement for them.

And if the Texans signed Wentz, you'd all be pumping him up pointing to his 3 years prior to last season where he was 25-15, 81 TD, 21 picks, and 98.3 PR, just like Taylor is being pumped up for his 3 years in Buffalo. But since Wentz is on the bad team, let's just look at last season and chalk him up as garbage.

Look, I get wanting your team to do well, compete, steal some W's and not embarrass you as a fan. I don't get burying your head in the sand and ignoring some of the realities going on with them. The last regime stripped this organization of everything, then the rising star QB pulled his shenanigans. The new regime isn't going to fix that overnight with the very little impact on free agency that they had and limited draft capital.

9 wins?
On the cool they might as well forfeit this season.
How ‘bout we start planning a ******* SB parade? Ya feel better now?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Possibly 9 wins? Wow! I don't know how some of y'all can seriously convince yourself of stuff like that, but if that helps with your fandom then so be it.

We'll have a definite downgrade at QB. A WR group that isn't even what we had last year. RB is an upgrade in so much as it couldn't be worse than it was. Ingram is 11 years in and was phased out in Baltimore last year, and if DJ gets the bulk of the work over Lindsay, I don't think the upgrade makes that much difference. TE is probably as good as last year. Could be better if Warring steps up and they actually incorporate TEs into the offense. The OL could be improved just on coaching alone. Problem is, where do they get that coaching with no off-season workouts? And that still leaves you with a play maker issue. Where's the play makers?

On defense? Maybe a change of scheme has some sort of impact, but I don't necessarily see a negligible upgrade in talent. Saying a guy is better than Mercilus isn't really saying much. Where's the pass rush coming from? How's the secondary any better? Mitchell, Brooks and King were as bad as VH3 last season. Who's the play makers on that side?

The ball bounces funny, as it tends to do in football, the injury bug goes easy on them, and they catch some breaks against certain teams, I could give them 6 wins at most. But that's a lot of things that have to go right just to get to 6.

I also think some of y'all are downplaying some of the QBs we'll be facing. Who knows how Lawrence's rookie season goes or how much of an impact he has on winning some games. I just know Herbert won 7 games with the Chargers in his rookie season. 5-7 wins for the Jags would still make them one of the worst to average teams in the league, but that would be a huge improvement for them.

And if the Texans signed Wentz, you'd all be pumping him up pointing to his 3 years prior to last season where he was 25-15, 81 TD, 21 picks, and 98.3 PR, just like Taylor is being pumped up for his 3 years in Buffalo. But since Wentz is on the bad team, let's just look at last season and chalk him up as garbage.

Look, I get wanting your team to do well, compete, steal some W's and not embarrass you as a fan. I don't get burying your head in the sand and ignoring some of the realities going on with them. The last regime stripped this organization of everything, then the rising star QB pulled his shenanigans. The new regime isn't going to fix that overnight with the very little impact on free agency that they had and limited draft capital.

9 wins?

I will now play Taps.

Texansballer74

The Marine

9 wins?

Nope forfeit the got darn season since they don't have the freaking talent to compete according to you and a few others here. Are you freaking happy with your pessimism outlook?
9 wins is that bloggers opinion just like 0 to maybe 4 wins is your freaking opinion/prediction.

F letting the stuff play out right. Again they might as well forfeit according to you.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Nope forfeit the got darn season since they don't have the freaking talent to compete according to you and a few others here. Are you freaking happy with your pessimism outlook?
9 wins is that bloggers opinion just like 0 to maybe 4 wins is your freaking opinion/prediction.

F letting the stuff play out right. Again they might as well forfeit according to you.
Call it pessimism all you want. I call it reality. I look at the big picture, see what has happened to them, where they are, and formulate an educated opinion off of that. Doesn’t mean that opinion is right, by the way. I at least understand that.

I don’t, however, ignore everything I see and base an opinion off of hope of 7 million things that COULD happen that will make them great. Hey, all these 1 year guys COULD step up their game because they’re all playing for contracts next year. Hey, Shaq Lawson COULD be the next great pass rusher even though nothing in his career would suggest that. Hey, the offense should purr like a kitten even though there’s been a huge downgrade at QB. Whatever helps you, more power to you. Just quit crying when somebody doesn’t see it that way.

This is a message board. We all have opinions. And they’re not all going to be the same.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Browns & Titans won 11 games with defenses similar to ours. So I'm not of the belief that we have to have a top 10 defense to win 9 games (& I don't particularly think we'll win 9 games). But I believe a better run game will help both our offense & our defense tremendously.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Call it pessimism all you want. I call it reality. I look at the big picture, see what has happened to them, where they are, and formulate an educated opinion off of that. Doesn’t mean that opinion is right, by the way. I at least understand that.

I don’t, however, ignore everything I see and base an opinion off of hope of 7 million things that COULD happen that will make them great. Hey, all these 1 year guys COULD step up their game because they’re all playing for contracts next year. Hey, Shaq Lawson COULD be the next great pass rusher even though nothing in his career would suggest that. Hey, the offense should purr like a kitten even though there’s been a huge downgrade at QB. Whatever helps you, more power to you. Just quit crying when somebody doesn’t see it that way.

This is a message board. We all have opinions. And they’re not all going to be the same.
Exactly we all have opinions so let’s stop acting like people or myself isn’t respectful to yours.

It is not fair fetched for this team to pull off 9 wins. They also could easily go 0-16. Nobody knows because we haven’t seen them in training camp or preseason to actually gauge what we actually have.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Browns & Titans won 11 games with defenses similar to ours. So I'm not of the belief that we have to have a top 10 defense to win 9 games (& I don't particularly think we'll win 9 games). But I believe a better run game will help both our offense & our defense tremendously.
Better run game to what extent? They were 31st last year. If they're 23rd this year, that's definitely better. Does that qualify as tremendously helping both offense and defense? What if at the same time they go from a top 4 passing attack to 17th?

Dejaview

All Pro
First, what is "Culley's system"? He's never run an offense. He's been in 3 systems the past 5 years. Is it the run heavy system of the Ravens or the pass happy system of the Chiefs?

Second, Kelly was retained prior to Culley's hiring. Culley had little influence on the new coaching staff.
Actually you just named an asset of DC. He’s coached in the NFL for a couple of decades in various systems. He didn’t design them but he knows them by that virtue. Pretty sure he knows what he likes from his takeaways from coaching in some good and variable offenses. My guess is that he’s not married to any system. I believed he has already stated that his game plan will be determined by the weaknesses of his opponent. Time will tell but he gives me every indication of not being dogmatic which could make him a little more difficult to prepare for. never coordinated an O? Neither did Kelly nor did Kelly have much experience.

banned1976

sleeper mode
The curent win total is set at 4.5; lowest in the league.

Well, the 2010 and the 2020 Houston Texans defenses were two of the worst defenses the league has ever seen. The ONE good thing going for the team last year, Deshaun Watson, is embroiled in one of the biggest scandals in league history AND he doesn't want to play here anymore. The Texans coaching staff doesn't exactly instill confidence. And the Texans 3rd pick overall in the 2021 draft belongs to someone else. So...

Only the most optimistic of Texans fans expect the Texans to have a successful year. I've always considered myself a realist when it comes to the Texans. They are a team that is, quite frankly, in crisis mode and has been since week four of the 2020 season. Since then they have jettisoned their HC/GM and begun an epic personnel turnover of everyone from the groundskeeper to their #1 WR (Will Fuller)...and everyone in between.

Some people want to deny this team is in complete rebuild mode and I don't know why. Rebuilding this team from scratch is what is needed. I expect a 90%+ roster change (which includes your entire QB room) from the 53 to begin 2020 to 2022 season opener.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Why are you angry? Both are just opinions.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Better run game to what extent? They were 31st last year. If they're 23rd this year, that's definitely better. Does that qualify as tremendously helping both offense and defense? What if at the same time they go from a top 4 passing attack to 17th?
Maybe.

a better run game, whatever that looks like should help us sustain drives & score. Hopefully we won’t consistently be playing from behind

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Some people want to deny this team is in complete rebuild mode and I don't know why. Rebuilding this team from scratch is what is needed. I expect a 90%+ roster change (which includes your entire QB room) from the 53 to begin 2020 to 2022 season opener.
I welcomed a total rebuild. I just don’t think that’s what we’re getting. I think Caserio was trying to win Watson over by making this team as competitive as he could.

We spent too much money. We’ve made too many trades.

I think we’ve already past the point of no return, with or without Watson we’ve already done too much this year to start the rebuild we should have. We’ve retooled.

The short term contracts make me believe we’ll do the real house cleaning next offseason

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Well, the 2010 and the 2020 Houston Texans defenses were two of the worst defenses the league has ever seen. The ONE good thing going for the team last year, Deshaun Watson, is embroiled in one of the biggest scandals in league history AND he doesn't want to play here anymore. The Texans coaching staff doesn't exactly instill confidence. And the Texans 3rd pick overall in the 2021 draft belongs to someone else. So...

Only the most optimistic of Texans fans expect the Texans to have a successful year. I've always considered myself a realist when it comes to the Texans. They are a team that is, quite frankly, in crisis mode and has been since week four of the 2020 season. Since then they have jettisoned their HC/GM and begun an epic personnel turnover of everyone from the groundskeeper to their #1 WR (Will Fuller)...and everyone in between.

I'm embracing the rebuild concept, as well. It's nothing to fear or hide from. This is was a crappy team from O'Brien's failures, and replacing everything from the ground up is expected and justifiable.

I don't perceive low expectations for the 2021 season to be pessimistic at all. Perhaps for an overly optimistic Texans fan it is, but as an NFL fan, I see it as realistic and pragmatic.

If anything, a complete rebuild under Caserio offers me some long term hope. It's big picture, multi-season type of hope.

And while I do not expect to see much in terms of wins this year, what I really want to see is a competitive team that has some fight in it. I look forward to both the schemes being implemented on offense & defense, as well as the players that will start forming some of the backbone of future years. I'd also like to see a special teams unit that is actually special and not just a bunch of JAGs going through the motions.

And hey, a low number of wins in 2021 means this team will have an off-season to actually enjoy when they can look at high round picks that can make immediate impact.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
My guess is that he’s not married to any system.
I get that. Harbaugh was never a offensive or defensive coordinator. Neither was Denny Green. They were supervisors and motivators. And that's fine.

I was responding to a post regarding "Culley's offense". He doesn't have one. That's not why he was made head coach. Every other coach that was interviewed was more qualified in regards to offensive or defensive design.