Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will the Texans be as bad as we think?

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
What do you think will be our record and how good/bad do you think we will be?

I love some of the signings and Taylor is likely to start and has been pretty good. The D still needs DBs but more players playing in the right position should help. Plus we do have a preseason this year. I think 7-9 or 8-8 could happen. But it will depend greatly on the D and the new O syncing by around week 4. Past that, it's not going to be pretty.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Only based on what I've seen, one of three worse teams this season. Betting on upside for players on Texans has not worked as a whole for me.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I like to think every year is a new year & we don’t know who will be good & who will be bad. I look at our schedule & the most stable team seems to be Arizona... & Tennessee. Other than that, most of the teams we’re facing are dealing with basically the same issues (well not the pervy QB thing). But drastically changing rosters & poor depth.

I’m not looking at our team & saying we’ve got a 10 win roster. I’m looking at our schedule & saying Seattle, New England, Rams, 9ers... not as scary as they used to be.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I like to think every year is a new year & we don’t know who will be good & who will be bad. I look at our schedule & the most stable team seems to be Arizona... & Tennessee. Other than that, most of the teams we’re facing are dealing with basically the same issues (well not the pervy QB thing). But drastically changing rosters & poor depth.

I’m not looking at our team & saying we’ve got a 10 win roster. I’m looking at our schedule & saying Seattle, New England, Rams, 9ers... not as scary as they used to be.
That's why I think maybe 7-9 or 8-8 if all gels fast. Past that it's going to be a dumpster fire

KA4Texan

Woof!
Contributor's Club
I'm expecting 0-16 and to look like they couldnt tell a football from a toilet plunger.

I can only have the response of "I figured" or be pleasantly surprised with such low expectations.

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
You guys have a lot of faith in this Team not messing up our chances at the #1 pick next season. I put my money on 6 wins....maybe 7.

Texansballer74

The Marine
It's kind of hard to predict since we haven't seen any pre season games or at least the first 4 games of the season.

But I do believe this team will be better prepared to play. The offensive line should be better all around. We take a big hit at quarterback but TT is very serviceable and should put up decent numbers. The running game should be better. I'm hoping the defense will be better.

I will say they will exceed our expectations.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
2-3 wins at best. They don't have a quality QB, offensive weapons capable of scoring or consistently moving the ball, or a consistent pass rush.

Maybe the defense improves (it was a low bar to hurdle after 2020), but without an offense that can sustain drives, the D will be worn out by the fourth quarter of games.

The offense is still using Billy O's playbook. That alone tells me this team is not doing much of anything in 2021.

Texansballer74

The Marine
2-3 wins at best. They don't have a quality QB, offensive weapons capable of scoring or consistently moving the ball, or a consistent pass rush.

Maybe the defense improves (it was a low bar to hurdle after 2020), but without an offense that can sustain drives, the D will be worn out by the fourth quarter of games.

The offense is still using Billy O's playbook. That alone tells me this team is not doing much of anything in 2021.
Gotta see on the field first before saying it won't be productive. Didn't we upgrade the offensive line and running back core? If they're able to run the ball with thier backs, don't think some of those drives will be sustainable. Tyrod is just as mobile as Watson too. So that offense last year was able to put up over 25 points a game. Don't quote me on that because I'm not looking at the stats.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
As a Texans fan, I hope y'all are right. Maybe the sum of the parts is greater and the 2021 team surprises us.

However, as an NFL fan, all I'm seeing is a franchise in deep turmoil, a bunch of has-been/never-was coaches, and a roster full of JAGs with absolutely zero playmakers.

No consistent pass rush means even the best secondary can't/won't sustain coverage all game.

And no consistent passing game means opposing defenses can load the box without worrying about a deep threat.

I'm just looking at this from my own pragmatic perspective and do not plan to have any sort of expectations for this team next season.

I would welcome being wrong, though. I rarely make predictions, much less 6 months out, but this franchise is in a deep hole right now. It's gonna' take time to dig its way out.

Number19

Hall of Fame
It's way too early, but for now, I'll stay with 3 - 5 wins, leaning toward the high end. We simply have nothing to base expectations on. The biggest question mark is how our defense will perform in Smith's new scheming.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Indianapolis—- Carson Wentz
Jacksonville—- Minshew/Lawrence
Tennessee—— Ryan Tannehill
Los Angeles—- Matt Stafford
New England— Cam Newton
NYJets———— nobody knows
Seattle———— Russell Wilson
Arizona———- Kyler Murray
Buffalo———— Josh Allen
Miami———— Tua maybe
San Francisco- nobody knows
Denver———- nobody knows
Cincinnati—— Joe Burrow
Carolina——— Teddy Bridgewater

I mean Tyrod compares favorably to those guys. As a group.

Texansballer74

The Marine
True that DB things are not looking all peachy on the outside looking in. I'm just trying see things a little differently.

This has been by far the worst offseason after a terrible season. The only bright side is Nick doing his best to field a competitive roster in spite of the funk he signed into.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Indianapolis—- Carson Wentz
Jacksonville—- Minshew/Lawrence
Tennessee—— Ryan Tannehill
Los Angeles—- Matt Stafford
New England— Cam Newton
NYJets———— nobody knows
Seattle———— Russell Wilson
Arizona———- Kyler Murray
Buffalo———— Josh Allen
Miami———— Tua maybe
San Francisco- nobody knows
Denver———- nobody knows
Cincinnati—— Joe Burrow
Carolina——— Teddy Bridgewater

I mean Tyrod compares favorably to those guys. As a group.
Taylor went what 61% comp about and a playoff game in 3yrs with Buffalo. He has an 89.-something QBR... So he is not a super star but definitely not useless.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
LOL! If those teams aren't as scary as they used to be, what does that make the Texans? This ain't a 6 to 8 win team that could steal a game or 2 and get to 8-10 wins. This is a team that's been stripped down and band-aided together with a bunch of 1 year JAGs, that will not have the desperately needed benefit of off-season workouts. New, and hopefully better coaching doesn't do much when you don't have field time.

Not to mention having a new QB as well, who isn't getting his timing with his receivers down. And a QB, mind you, that is a JAG as well. The Bills had a passing offense no higher than 28th while Taylor was under center, that was ranked worse each year he was there (28th, 30th and 31st respectively). Culley is coming in from being a pass game coordinator on a team that was 32nd in passing last year, and 27th the year before. Now both the Bills and Ravens relied on a heavy run game, that included their QB getting a ton of yards, but running the ball, even with Watson's legs, hasn't been something the Texans have been particularly good at. And if David Johnson is getting most of the snaps, I don't see it changing much. Not to mention Taylor will be 32 at the start of the season, not in his mid 20's.

The Texans are a team that could steal a game or 2 and get to 4 wins, is the way I see it.

The only bright side is Nick doing his best to field a competitive roster in spite of the funk he signed into.
A competitive roster compared to what? Being better than the guy you're competing against? That ain't saying much. If you don't think there was competition on the team even with OB here, then you're fooling yourself. These guys are always competing. We always hear how players X, Y, and Z are looking in camp, and how tough the competition is, then come time to face players in a different uniform, they're really not all that competitive after all.

There's just a ton of ifs and question marks that all have to be hit and answered just to get to 5 wins IMO, never mind getting beyond that. I don't like the money Nick is spending on the team for 2021, but I believe it's being set up to where they can be real players in the free agent market next year, if need be, along with having a full draft for a change, to where the turnover that takes place again next year, can actually bring some difference makers in. Of course, finding a QB is a big deal again.

But this year? Nah man. It ain't happening this year. I just hope they don't fool around and screw themselves out of a very high pick next year.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Competitive roster means players will have seriously compete for their spot. You're acting like Nick only brought in a bunch of scrubs.

Again the offensive line should be way better than what Obrien fielded his 6 years here. The running game should be better than what it's been the last 3 or so years.

The passing game might take a hit but you still have a player who can get you over a thousand yards. They brought in some players who has potential.

Defensively you won't have a player freelancing. In Lovie's scheme it requires players to play discipline and play their roles. The linebacker core should be better in both the running and passing game. The hogs upfront will be competitive in camp. I'm curious to see who will step up and be that dog.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
New team roster, new coaches, new system, new players, new QB, no draft picks. Yeah, we're gonna be kickin' ass this year. :lol:

We need to just quit worrying ourselves about the 2021 season. If all these new office folks and coaches and whatnot are worth anything, we probably won't know it until next year is about half way done. And only then if we haven't pressed the reset button again and have more new office folks and coaches.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The Texans are a team that could steal a game or 2 and get to 4 wins, is the way I see it.
I understand. On paper I see what you mean. I’m just not seeing a bunch of 10 win teams on our schedule. The teams we’re playing are going to lose a lot of games.

But this year? Nah man. It ain't happening this year. I just hope they don't fool around and screw themselves out of a very high pick next year.
I hope we win the division & pick close to 31. Not saying it’s going to happen. I’m not even saying I think we’ll win 3 games. As messed up as our team is the other teams on our schedule may very well be worse.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Again the offensive line should be way better than what Obrien fielded his 6 years here. The running game should be better than what it's been the last 3 or so years
Just having someone other than Devlin coaching the OL should improve the run game. Tyrod running when the read says run should help the run game. Lindsay & Mark Ingram should improve the run game. Even if we run up the middle on 1st down.
Defensively you won't have a player freelancing. In Lovie's scheme it requires players to play discipline and play their roles. The linebacker core should be better in both the running and passing game. The hogs upfront will be competitive in camp. I'm curious to see who will step up and be that dog.
Yeah, I have no idea what the defense is going to look like. We have had DCs come in here, talk a good talk & fail to deliver.

But it won’t take a lot to improve on last year’s defense & just a little bit of improvement with a better run game will get more wins.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
Competitive roster means players will have seriously compete for their spot. You're acting like Nick only brought in a bunch of scrubs
You're acting like no one has ever seriously competed for a spot on this team before. There's competition EVERY. SINGLE. SEASON.

And yeah, Nick did bring in a bunch of scrubs. A **** ton of ST players and we'll see if there's any legit starters that even they would be interested in keeping next season.

Texansballer74

The Marine
You're acting like no one has ever seriously competed for a spot on this team before. There's competition EVERY. SINGLE. SEASON.

And yeah, Nick did bring in a bunch of scrubs. A **** ton of ST players and we'll see if there's any legit starters that even they would be interested in keeping next season.

You know what you're a 1000% right dude. F it they trash.

Hey everyone don't even watch this trashy team. They will go 0- 16 .

Not worth watching

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
You know what you're a 1000% right dude. F it they trash.

Hey everyone don't even watch this trashy team. They will go 0- 16 .

Not worth watching
That's the spirit!!! LOL

I just don't get why you're so hellbent thinking they aren't trash. Name the guys who would start for a good team. Tunsil, Cooks, maybe Roby, annnnnnnnnnd.........
They just don't have the talent right now.

Again, if this team had the name Jacksonville in front of it, we'd all be circling games against them as W's. As it is, I think we'll be lucky to get a split with the Jags this year.

I get hating that your team sucks. Went through it with the Astros. Hell I remember a time towards the end of Olajuwon's career where people would talk about him being done and because Dream is probably my favorite player ever, I’d get so mad about it, not accepting he was basically done, and I remember hoping he'd go out and have a 40 point game to shut those fools up. Never happened though. Dude was done.

Right now, the Texans are bad. OB stripped this team down to nothing, paid stupid money to screw the cap, and mortgaged the future giving away draft capital. And that's on top of the QB situation getting screwed. It's gonna take a minute to fix all of that.

Last edited:

texanhead08

All Pro
No defense and no running game and we don't know what Taylor is at this point at QB. They will be trash you can pretty much bet on it.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
I think we can finish 5-12 this year - remember it's a 17 game season now and I think we will likely start poorly and improve after mid season.
If I compare the entire organization between 2020 and 2021, I think we will be a better team (+ means better 2021):

Owner = push (hopefully he has learned something)
GM = +
HCoach = + (BOB fired after game 4 and RAC was lame duck)
OC = push
QB = - (assuming Watson doesn't play)
RB = +
OL = +
WR = -
DC = +
LB = +
DL = + (I think a 4-3 will create more pressure, even without JJ)
DB = +
ST = +
Schedule = + (toughest 2020 schedule in NFL)

I have my concerns about Culley's HC ability but I think he knows how to unite people. Of course, we could also be the first 0-17 team.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
One thing scares me about the D - and that is who, or is there even, a leader/ captain on this D now that Watt is gone?
We will need that onfield general.
Caserio may have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more and go get one or it could be chaos out there.

Last edited:

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
One thing scares me about the D - and that is who, or is there even, a leader/ captain on this D now that Watt is gone?
Caserio may have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more and go get one or it could be chaos out there.
I have to agree with you. But maybe one of the older DBs take the role. We have Roby. Or Whit steps up as he hasn't been as good but is a vet. Then you have Lawson who is new but a vet. I have to say one of them take on the role. Unless someone else steps up or in via FA or draft.

FireBOB

Waterboy
I think we can finish 5-12 this year - remember it's a 17 game season now and I think we will likely start poorly and improve after mid season.
If I compare the entire organization between 2020 and 2021, I think we will be a better team (+ means better 2021):

Owner = push (hopefully he has learned something)
GM = +
HCoach = + (BOB fired after game 4 and RAC was lame duck)
OC = push
QB = - (assuming Watson doesn't play)
RB = +
OL = +
WR = -
DC = +
LB = +
DL = + (I think a 4-3 will create more pressure, even without JJ)
DB = +
ST = +
Schedule = + (toughest 2020 schedule in NFL)

I have my concerns about Culley's HC ability but I think he knows how to unite people. Of course, we could also be the first 0-17 team.
We've swapped a Ferrari for a fiat punto, but hey, the air freshener is better.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I have to agree with you. But maybe one of the older DBs take the role. We have Roby. Or Whit steps up as he hasn't been as good but is a vet. Then you have Lawson who is new but a vet. I have to say one of them take on the role. Unless someone else steps up or in via FA or draft.
Yeah probably Roby - needs to be someone in the back or linebackers.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Watt was the "captain/leader" & we won 4 games. I think the next leader will be fine