Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Will Texans be a buyer at NFL trade deadline?

badboy

Hall of Fame

Depending on the cost I would definitely be interested in Patrick Surtain, but probably cost a lot. The offer in article is interesting.

WR Jerry Jeudy was high on my list out of school.His attitude in Denver isn't surprising but would it change in Houston with Stroud and our WR department?

I'm not very interested in Courtland.

I am ok with a first in 2024 for Surtain but after that, rather murky.
Our second round 4 for Jeudy?

Depending on the cost I would definitely be interested in Patrick Surtain, but probably cost a lot. The offer in article is interesting.

WR Jerry Jeudy was high on my list out of school.His attitude in Denver isn't surprising but would it change in Houston with Stroud and our WR department?

I would be interested in Surtain and also Leonard Williams

Signing DJ Reader and Danielle Hunter in FA and trading for Surtain, Xavier McKinney and Jerry Jeudy pre Halloween would be very interesting.
I offer round 1 2024 and 2025 round 3 for Surtain; 2024 round 3 for McKinney; and our lowest round 4 in 2024 for Jeudy.

We would still have 2nd and our 4th.

Signing DJ Reader and Danielle Hunter in FA and trading for Surtain, Xavier McKinney and Jerry Jeudy pre Halloween would be very interesting.
I offer round 1 2024 and 2025 round 3 for Surtain; 2024 round 3 for McKinney; and our lowest round 4 in 2024 for Jeudy.

We would still have 2nd and our 4th.

They could be small buyers at the deadline but spending major draft capital like that is for teams who are close .... this team is further away than that.

Giving up a #1+ for Surtain who has this year and one more on his contract .... seems to me to be a poor use of those picks - Unless he agrees to an extension as part of the trade.

No real need for X McKinney, the Texans safeties are solid enough.

Trade some 4-5-6-7? Sure .... 1-2-3 not so much.

If anything, I'd be looking to get Stroud some help at WR - after Dell went down last week, that offense just wasn't the same.

They could be small buyers at the deadline but spending major draft capital like that is for teams who are close .... this team is further away than that.

Giving up a #1+ for Surtain who has this year and one more on his contract .... seems to me to be a poor use of those picks - Unless he agrees to an extension as part of the trade.

If anything, I'd be looking to get Stroud some help at WR - after Dell went down last week, that offense just wasn't the same.
Agree about Dell, but bringing in a new receiver may be hit or miss when it comes to chemistry.
We have Hutchinson waiting for his chance again so see how that goes.
For me, getting Anderson some quality help will boost both those players and the Dline as a whole.
I trust Demeco will give his $0.02c worth in any discussion on that topic.

Thee was no offer suggested for Surtain or any other player listed on the article. It comes off as clickbait, with the author tasked with finding teams and players that could be traded, with little substance.

The Texans have $4.2 million in cap space. Try to remember that while you're dreaming of All Pro CBs coming down the chimney.

Thee was no offer suggested for Surtain or any other player listed on the article. It comes off as clickbait, with the author tasked with finding teams and players that could be traded, with little substance.

The Texans have $4.2 million in cap space. Try to remember that while you're dreaming of All Pro CBs coming down the chimney.
I think this is the wrong thread for reality

I was thinking about Jerry Jeudy. I know he's under-performed in Denver, but I'm not sure how much is chicken, and how much is egg.

Or to say it another way, he's had crappy QB play, and crappy coaching for the most part. It's the old nurture vs. nature conundrum but in the football sense.

He's got first-round talent, and many expected him to be a #1 WR at the next level. He's got Calvin Ridley level raw talent. I think the West Coast offense with good QB play, and good coaching could turn his career around. At worst, he's good depth. And it doesn't hurt that he's an ex-Alabama guy.

I'm not sure if they would take a 4th, but to me that's definitely worth a gamble on a potential #1 receiver. I'd also consider something like a 6th plus DP. DP doesn't fit this offense and a change of scenery might help him as well.

😲 you are serious? I will take a 23-year-old shut down cornerback just entering his prime years where you control his next three years of contract. Patrick Surtain junior is coming off of 2022 season as and All Pro! I will give up a first round Plus on just about any position for that quality of a player.

His base for next 2 years avg only $1 million. He with Hunter and Reader changes the entire look of this defense .
I do agree we would then need to draft WR for CJ Stroud but several at round 2.

Agree about Dell, but bringing in a new receiver may be hit or miss when it comes to chemistry.
We have Hutchinson waiting for his chance again so see how that goes.
For me, getting Anderson some quality help will boost both those players and the Dline as a whole.
I trust Demeco will give his $0.02c worth in any discussion on that topic.
Hutchinson gets his chance Sunday. He can stay on the team but the coaches have had enough time now to know if he is going to develop or not. If you can get a prime receiver in a trade jump on it.

The following article I had read just before one I posted has suggested trade offer:

evidently you do not realize that the base for Surtain Junior is only $940,000 for 2023 and 5 games of that have already been paid to him. Perhaps you should review all the details before you make a sarcastic comment.

😲 you are serious? I will take a 23-year-old shut down cornerback just entering his prime years where you control his next three years of contract. Patrick Surtain junior is coming off of 2022 season as and All Pro! I will give up a first round Plus on just about any position for that quality of a player.

His base for next 2 years avg only $1 million. He with Hunter and Reader changes the entire look of this defense .
I do agree we would then need to draft WR for CJ Stroud but several at round 2.

You don't control him for the next 3 years, it's this year and next according to Spotrac.

Patrick Surtain II Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

He's also under contract for a 4th year which means no restricted free agency (right to match). RFA is limited to players with 3 accrued seasons.

You run the risk of him walking away to for nothing unless you franchise tag him ... which comes with its own complications.

If you get him with an extension that's one thing but otherwise, I'm not giving up premium draft assets for a player who can walk after his second with the team.

Personally, I think Surtain can be had for significantly less.
😲 you are serious?
Are you serious? I get that the Broncos are likely gearing down to tank. Makes sense for them. But why do you think Surtain would bring less than Ramsey? Surtain is in his 3rd season. Remsey was in his 4th. If anything, Surtain would bring more than Ramsey because of the additional year.

Would we even entertain acquiring such a high profile and potentially expensive CB if not for the uncertainty in Stingleys future ?
I think not.

I was thinking about Jerry Jeudy. I know he's under-performed in Denver, but I'm not sure how much is chicken, and how much is egg.

Or to say it another way, he's had crappy QB play, and crappy coaching for the most part. It's the old nurture vs. nature conundrum but in the football sense.

He's got first-round talent, and many expected him to be a #1 WR at the next level. He's got Calvin Ridley level raw talent. I think the West Coast offense with good QB play, and good coaching could turn his career around. At worst, he's good depth. And it doesn't hurt that he's an ex-Alabama guy.

I'm not sure if they would take a 4th, but to me that's definitely worth a gamble on a potential #1 receiver. I'd also consider something like a 6th plus DP. DP doesn't fit this offense and a change of scenery might help him as well.
That is my thought also. I was just going to post that perhaps a Damien Pierce trade for him straight up might be accepted.

You don't control him for the next 3 years, it's this year and next according to Spotrac.

Patrick Surtain II Contract Breakdowns, Salary Cap Figures, Salaries, Bonuses | Spotrac

He's also under contract for a 4th year which means no restricted free agency (right to match). RFA is limited to players with 3 accrued seasons.

You run the risk of him walking away to for nothing unless you franchise tag him ... which comes with its own complications.

If you get him with an extension that's one thing but otherwise, I'm not giving up premium draft assets for a player who can walk after his second with the team.
Corrosion, your own link states that he's under contract 2023 and 2024. That is 2 years plus he is a round one pick and falls under a fifth year option which gives you control of the third year. Having a player that is coming off of not just a pro bowl but an all pro year at his base pay of less than a million dollars this year is crazy good arithmetic. I do not trade for players and be concerned about them leaving 2 years later. We have the money to wrap him up whenever we want to. I think like many others on the Broncos roster they would desperately love to come to a team coach by Demeco Ryan's. We should take advantage of that.

Corrosion, your own link states that he's under contract 2023 and 2024. That is 2 years plus he is a round one pick and falls under a fifth year option which gives you control of the third year. Having a player that is coming off of not just a pro bowl but an all pro year at his base pay of less than a million dollars this year is crazy good arithmetic. I do not trade for players and be concerned about them leaving 2 years later. We have the money to wrap him up whenever we want to. I think like many others on the Broncos roster they would desperately love to come to a team coach by Demeco Ryan's. We should take advantage of that.
According to the link you posted earlier, Denver has picked up his 5th year option already.

Surtain would definitely be worth a 1+

Are you serious? I get that the Broncos are likely gearing down to tank. Makes sense for them. But why do you think Surtain would bring less than Ramsey? Surtain is in his 3rd season. Remsey was in his 4th. If anything, Surtain would bring more than Ramsey because of the additional year.
All you look at is the age and the the contract? Jalen award-wise is three times what Patrick Surtain has done.
Ramsey 6x probowler and 3 x all pro. Yeah, hopefully, Surtain will continue to do great things but that is not how you negotiate. I would be willing to give him after 2023 the same contract that Trevon Diggs received. For a 5-year extension he is worth it.

Would we even entertain acquiring such a high profile and potentially expensive CB if not for the uncertainty in Stingleys future ?
I think not.
Uh.. well no but if Mills had been an NFL starter we wouldn't have entertained drafting Stroud. If Stingley wasn't hurt, I wouldn't oppose going after Surtain.[/QUOTE]

According to the link you posted earlier, Denver has picked up his 5th year option already.

Surtain would definitely be worth a 1+
I did not see in the link that Denver had picked up his 5th year option however that wouldn't matter to me. Also I did not think that a team would pick up an option until the 4th year.

Patrick is definitely worth a one plus it just depends on what that plus is for me.

Hutchinson gets his chance Sunday. He can stay on the team but the coaches have had enough time now to know if he is going to develop or not. If you can get a prime receiver in a trade jump on it.
Disagree.
AJ's rookie season was riddled with drops.
Not saying Hutchinson will be an AJ - just that he deserves a chance to develop.
A more recent example is Nico Collins - it has taken him a couple of seasons to begin to show something.

Disagree.
Not saying Hutchinson will be an AJ - just that he deserves a chance to develop.
A more recent example is Nico Collins - it has taken him a couple of seasons to begin to show something.
Andre Johnson was first round pick with a whole lot more on his resume than Hutchinson. I'm surprised you would even compare the two. Also Nico Collins would have done much better if he had a quarterback like JC Stroud rather than what he was strapped with his first years with the team.
I am not saying that X cannot be a receiver in the nfl. In fact I am hoping that he will. I am just not going to adjust our future based upon his performance this season.

Disagree.
thought it was said AJ had to get eye surgery for some kind of correction on his eyes...after that it was rare to see an AJ drop or inability to track a ball...but im too tired and lazy to look it up.

Andre Johnson was first round pick with a whole lot more on his resume than Hutchinson. I'm surprised you would even compare the two. Also Nico Collins would have done much better if he had a quarterback like JC Stroud rather than what he was strapped with his first years with the team.
I am not saying that X cannot be a receiver in the nfl. In fact I am hoping that he will. I am just not going to adjust our future based upon his performance this season.
I was comparing a possible development path - I'm surprised you missed my point.

thought it was said AJ had to get eye surgery for some kind of correction on his eyes...after that it was rare to see an AJ drop or inability to track a ball...but im too tired and lazy to look it up.
Possible, but wouldn't that have affected his performance in college too?

I was comparing a possible development path - I'm surprised you missed my point.
I don't think I missed it but you seem to be comparing allowing a wide receiver first round pick time to develop and the same time to develop for X. If that was not your comparison. I apologize but I do think that was what you were saying.
Again, I hope he succeeds. We have room for 6 and he is at bottom.. well maybe IMO, just above Noah Brown. We still need two ( placing Noah on the practice squad or cutting him).

Disagree.

Agreed, but if Nabers or Odunze fell to the Texans draft slot next yr Hutch wouldn't stop me from picking one of these difference makers. If you want a difference making WR the 2024 draft is the draft to pick one in. IMHO

31 and hasn't had more than an average season since 2019.
He's still better than Hyder or whoever else they've got. BTW, he contributed to a SB winner 2 or 3 yrs ago. He's a better stop gap than what they currently have. BTW, I hope they bring Hunter home using a 2nd rd pick and extend him. Hunter/WA and add a guy like Wilkins to go with Collins. That's a front 4 that can compete with anybody.

Back