Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Wildcard Round - Bills at Texans

Wait... but according to our QB guru, Allen has been playing consistently well this year!? I'm confused.

I'm expecting a low-scoring, good game. O'Brien is stubborn and will continue to try to run the ball up the middle against your strong front 7. If you can apply pressure on our OL, then stopping DW4 has been somewhat easier this season. He's been reluctant to run, instead he scrambles all around the pocket and hope someone comes open. If Fuller is out, which is most likely... just double-team Hopkins because the other receivers are struggling to get separation.

The defense is inconsistent as well. They stop the run ok, but are susceptible against big runs because the secondary can't tackle. W/o Watt, the pass rush has been non-existant. Expect alot of blitzes & man coverage, so we'll see how Allen responds to that.
I think they also take into account Allen's running ability.
He's been playing quite well, but at times, he also tried to do too much not unlike Watson.

The Bills look like a solid all-around team (well, maybe not so much at the kicking game).

They are fairly balanced between run (465 attempts) and pass (513 attempts), but Allen can throw that ball if he needs to.
Seeing as the Texans ranked 29th against the pass, it shouldn't surprise anyone if he does lit it up.
But I think the Bills will just run their usual offense because the Texans are not any good against the run either (25th).

Last edited:
I'd say "who knows?" with this team, the team that beat both the #2 and #3 seeds but ended up seeded lower than them by losing to Carolina & Denver. But everyone does know the odds. That in the playoffs, O'Brien's teams flop.

But I'll instead say (wish, dream, pray) that Watson will be the difference by playing much much better than his mediocre playoff game last year that cost us as much as O'Brien not having the team ready. I also think the game plan will be solid this time.

Reactions: ROO
What are the odds of any major changes IF this is a repeat of the Colts game last season?

Not to say I underestimate the Bills, but Status quo scares me far more than Buffalo.

Hopefully good odds, even though O'Brien has hammered his way into the GM spot. Just tired not only of the playoff weakness but the eggs they lay at home.

I'm just tired of my team looking like they only got the AFCS title is because they tripped over the Titans, stumbled over the Colts while the Jags got distracted by something shiny come playoff time.

Put it on Watson, put it on OB, blame Uncle Fester for all I care, that needs to change.

What are the odds of any major changes IF this is a repeat of the Colts game last season?

Not to say I underestimate the Bills, but Status quo scares me far more than Buffalo.
With how lethargic the Texans offense had shown this year coming out of the gate and how well the Bills defense has been playing, I fear it could be a long day.
The Bills can run, and if the Texans D doesn't improve with JJ Watt coming back, it will wear out.

I think we need the D to be opportunistic in creating a turnover or two early for the O to capitalize on.
Otherwise, it may get ugly like in playoff past.

With how lethargic the Texans offense had shown this year coming out of the gate and how well the Bills defense has been playing, I fear it could be a long day.
The Bills can run, and if the Texans D doesn't improve with JJ Watt coming back, it will wear out.

I think we need the D to be opportunistic in creating a turnover or two early for the O to capitalize on.
Otherwise, it may get ugly like in playoff past.
I agree it could possibly happen.... that is why I am worried about the same result.

I dont want OB gone bad enough to root against my Texans... never will... but it would be nice to have a consolation prize IF we recieve the same product as last years playoff game.... there needs to be a return policy if we already recieved it.

Of course we are going to see how each quarterback plays. Just be advised the Bills front 7 and secondary is way better than ours. Just be advised that Allen will not see the same type of heat Watson will be facing. Allen will be operating out of a much cleaner pocket.

Still no reason to be turning the ball over

What if we lose 27-21? Not dominated but the offense looks like it has all year.

Doesn’t matter how close the loss is. A HC’s primary job is to figure out how to keep the team winning and advancing to the ultimate goal. And while he has shown how to do that with consistency with the short term goals in the regular season, He will have equally shown that he can’t get us over the proverbial hump in the playoffs.

It’s not about how any 1 side of the ball looks for me b/c as I’ve stated several times in so many ways in various threads here, more goes into the success and failure of each than just the overall gameplan of the coaches.

Last year was a little different than this season as the Texans went on a 9 game winning streak after a horrendous start. The Colts too had a big turnaround. Two relatively hot teams met and the Texans were dominated. The Colts moved on and were dominated the following week. Exhibit A in why momentum in the NFL can sometimes be deceiving.

This year the Texans had, at least on paper anyway, a tougher schedule going into the season. They never truly took over the AFC South as they couldn’t win more than two games in a row.

Based off of your first question I think Cal’s going to take the whole picture into consideration after the season ends and make decisions on that. If they do indeed fold like a cheap suit to the Bills like they did in the playoffs last year I honestly believe the casualties will be from the defensive staff - because O’Brien is the acting GM and I doubt there’ll be a public outrage if RAC is fired. A lot of people will want BoB to follow RAC out the door but I sincerely doubt that happens because he has so much control over team ops now.

I seriously doubt anything happens to OB, even if we look like the local jv team against Buffalo and lose again. I have zero confidence that Cal even knows what he is doing. RAC may take the hit if we lose, but OB will make sure it is not himself. He has already thrown RAC under the bus this season. I still watch the games, but don't let the losses ruin my day anymore as a loss is expected. Should they happen to win the AFCCG, I may get excited, but not holding my breath that the Texans actually get there.

Some people on here think BO'b pulling starters for our last regular season game showed a sign of weakness. Teams who did and did not hold their best players in the final regular season game historically shows a mixed bag of results. We shall find out if holding our best players out was a good idea. I don't have any problem personally with holding out starters last Sunday. I shall see if my opinion remains as is or I eat crow and admit that the other way of thinking was the right way.

I hope we are not stuck with a head coach who can not get past the first round of the playoffs for many seasons much like Cincinatti Bengals fans had to endure under former head coach Marv Lewis.

I think the Titans take a close game in Foxboro, the Seahawks hammer the Eagles, the Saints thoroughly destroy the Vikings, and the Texans take Buffalo by 13.
Regardless of the Belichick/Brady magic, the Pats are weak, weak, weak on offense. And their defense, while pretty good, wasn’t good enough to beat a 4-11 Dolphins team in order to secure a first-round bye. The Eagles are riddled with injuries. Seattle has not looked like, well, Seattle lately, but unless they blow another playcall at the 1, they should easily beat the Eagles. Seahawks have been a better road team this year. The Saints? I think they are on a mission. Get Brees a (at least the try to get) a second ring. And finally, while I have major respect for what the Bills have done this year, I don’t think they are going to generate a lot of points on the Texans, and coming from behind will give Houston opportunities on defense.
Good luck this weekend. I look forward to a possible Texans-Ravens rematch at The Bank on the 11th if the Titans stumble.

Teams who did and did not hold their best players in the final regular season game historically shows a mixed bag of results.
It's a mixed bag of results because it's playoffs. Playoff teams are usually pretty good. Go look at Peyton Manning's playoff record, or damn near anyone not named Tom Brady. Peyton's right at .500 (14-13). Not because he's a choker in the playoffs, or the Colts rested players in week 17, it's because playoff teams are better than rolling through the Texans twice a year or beating a bunch of other sub .500 teams on the schedule.

Drew Brees is 8-7 in the playoffs. Rodgers is 10-7. The competition is better in the playoffs, thus you're not going to rack up the 13-3 type numbers you would in the regular season.

The Ravens rested players and they have a bye. That will be a 2 week break for their guys. And it doesn't mean anything. If they get beat it won't be because they had a 2 week break. It'll be because they're playing a pretty good team where anything can happen on any given Sunday. Yes, even if that team is the Texans.

Every team, for as long as I can remember, who has their playoff positioning wrapped up, rests their starters if the game has no meaning. I'm as anti-OB as anybody here, but I'm not throwing that on him. EVERYBODY DOES IT!!

Yes, I'm much more concerned with Allen extending drives with his feet. I really like Allen's future as a downfield passer, in the Big Ben mold. He's not there, yet.

Actually, without seeing what the statistician is trying to accomplish, it tells me nothing. How many variables are included? What is the confidence level? How well have the equation predicted future events? You could run 250 million regressions for a football season, and the 250,000,001st could be completely off the regression line.

Baseball is a sport that is very statistical friendly. You can have some level of confidence of how a batter may fare with 1 out, runners on the corners, facing a LHP throwing a sinker and slider. Because there are enough data points.

In football, there are only about 60 plays from scrimmage in a game, per side. And even in similar situations, there's not enough similarity to make a real comparison. 3rd & 7 between the 40's. In the 2nd quarter, the offense was in 11 personnel with trips to the weakside. The defense was in a soft cover 2 shell with a spy on the back. 4th quarter, same down and distance, same position on the field. Offense is in an empty backfield set, and the defense is in press coverage with a weakside safety blitz. Oh, did I mention the wind has picked up and it's just begun to rain? Two completely different events. With 22 players on the field, each in their own micro event. Just trying to wrap your head around the variables in a singular football play is a statistical nightmare. And throw all of that away in the next game, because everything has changed.

So instead, someone will put generic statistical outcomes in a formula to get a generic result. It is good enough to tell you what happened. But poor in telling you what will happen. How can you correlate the performance of the team that defeated the Chiefs in Arrowhead with the team that stunk up NRG two weeks prior? Even a team that is consistently dominant, like the Ravens, are not easily predictable come the playoffs. What happens if the Ravens are down 2 scores in the 2nd half? That didn't happen enough in the regular season to make a statistically relevant estimate. Too small a sample size. But it is more likely to happen in a playoff game, because they will face better competition.

I can understand why you, me, and everyone else are frustrated with this team. They're brutally inconsistent in every facet, except when we don't want them to be (1st down? Run up the middle, silly). But a train wreck? 2-14 was a train wreck. 10-6 with a home game in the 1st round is better than a swift kick in the rear. And when you look back to the offseason, firing the GM after the draft, bungling negotiations with your Pro Bowl edge, losing your starting RB in preseason, trading for a LT after training camp is over...the results aren't that shabby. 20 NFL teams wish they were in the Texans cleats right now.

we're not even talking about the same thing. you're pointing out situational football and game theory. Im merely suggesting a regression analysis in respect to data modeling.

just example of using STATS to justify the eye test. You can even look at the "recent" weighted games among playoff teams and see that the TExans are DEAD LAST! Overall DVOA .. DEAD LAST!

So if alllll the metrics suggest that the TExans are just not that good, yet they still won 10 games .. where would YOU apply the outlier? Deshaun Watson heroics? Bill Obrien superbrain decisions?

The playoff odds report plays out the season 25,000 times. A random draw assigns each team a win or loss for each game. The probability that a team will be given a win is based on an equation which considers the current Weighted DVOA ratings of the two teams as well as home-field advantage. (DVOA ratings are explained here.)

• Kansas City rating is adjusted to only consider games with Patrick Mahomes at quarterback.
  • New Orleans rating is adjusted to only consider games with Drew Brees at quarterback.
  • Tennessee rating is adjusted to only consider games with Ryan Tannehill at quarterback and does not include Week 17.
  • Ratings for Baltimore, Buffalo, Houston, and Minnesota do not include Week 17.

these were how this particular outlet assigned the model Im not sure where there would lie objectivity? Pretty simple really .. DVOA + home field run it 25,000 times. No different from the way sharps and Vegas assigns spreads and favorites. Pretty crazy how often they are right yeah? Its not some seedy dude in a smoky basement pulling numbers out of thin air and calling in to see if the star QB had a wild threesome the night before that would affect his gameplay - thats Hollywood not reality. Data models are here, and they certainly do add a layer of numerical information that guys like you could use to validate what you're feeling. You dont want to give it merit because of the author of the article, but Im pretty certain he didnt even present this data! Sharp Football is hyper critical of the TExans too because of some relationships that outlet had with Texan scouts that were fired etc.. etc.. so petty grudges can present themselves, but that applies mainly to subjective analysis. You cant skew a math model!

your last paragraph is the precise sentiment that I despise this far into franchise existence and this particular coaching regime - just happy to be there.

"Any Given Sunday" ... I can see Deshaun Watson balling out, and just doing what he does and winning big games. I can see Deshaun Watson getting grumpy when the typical bullsht plays dont work. I've seen this offense look like the best offense in the league, and I've seen it look like the worst. Sadly, the hopes and dreams lie on that side of the ball! It was evident prior to the season the offense would need to carry the team, you just cant rely on the defense, and its also not logical to blame the defense either. Bill OBrien molded his offense prior to the season at the expense of RAC and his defense, and now is the time they need to show up and a big reason these models dont favor a team like the Texans - INCONSISTENCY!

I'll still be there in the game thread as usual cheering and jeering. The plight of Sisyphus the Texan fan.

I'm a big believer in DVOA, but I don't think it does as good a job as it ought with opponent adjustments.

The Texans' can't be that bad if they beat the Titans and KC on the road. Both New England and Buffalo look way better than they actually are due to a weak schedule and I don't think DVOA is capturing that accurately. Is it a big difference? No, but I find Vegas is more accurate than any statistical analysis and it has Buffalo and Houston essentially even with the home field making us a 3 point favorite.

That being said, I don't trust the offense at all without Will Fuller.

LMAO check this out: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

wow the national perception of this team couldnt be any lower. They give the TITANS a better chance than the TExans LOLLL .. even Buffalo has twice the odds given to advance. This is eye opening.

AFC South Champs!! They can never take that from us!

Both the Tinbreds and Bills have better odds … That's depressing.

I'm a big believer in DVOA, but I don't think it does as good a job as it ought with opponent adjustments.

The Texans' can't be that bad if they beat the Titans and KC on the road. Both New England and Buffalo look way better than they actually are due to a weak schedule and I don't think DVOA is capturing that accurately. Is it a big difference? No, but I find Vegas is more accurate than any statistical analysis and it has Buffalo and Houston essentially even with the home field making us a 3 point favorite.

therein lies the problem with guys who dont want to incorporate metrics into the "eye test" .. why couldnt this team be "that bad"? Bad teams beating good teams happens all the time right? KC and NE were easily the best wins of the year, and then they beat up on another 'bad' AFC South division. 6 out of 16 games were against "good" teams, yet the strength of schedule puts the Texans at 5. Interesting right? So we dive deeper. Texans were involved in 11 one score games. Imagine some of them going the other way?

This team isnt "bad" or a "trainwreck" I dont think I've used that precise wording, but I find this team fascinating in that they SHOULDNT be in the playoffs, yet they are. Add to that the context of what contenders do and what pretenders do in respect to playoff prep and you get what we have. An average team who isnt really taken serious. It will only change when you win, and Im finding it harder and harder to look for flowers in a cow patty.

here is the explanation on DVOA if you hadnt read it before maybe it will help you gauge the importance to YOU individually. DVOA and PFF Grading tables are becoming the scrupulous stat set when starting to magnify team performance. Like it or not every single NFL team is waiting Tuesday morning for the PFF data to release. Advanced stats are so new to football that many are having a hard time letting go of old habits when analyzing, but just like in baseball, and basketball they will offer a bevy of new ways to diagnose and reason.

DVOA EXPLAINED
One running back runs for three yards. Another running back runs for three yards. Which is the better run? This sounds like a stupid question, but it isn’t. In fact, this question is at the heart of nearly all of the analysis on Football Outsiders.

Several factors can differentiate one three-yard run from another. What is the down and distance? Is it third-and-2 or second-and-15? Where on the field is the ball? Does the player get only three yards because he hits the goal line and scores? Is the player’s team up by two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, and thus running out the clock; or down by two touchdowns, and thus facing a defense that is playing purely against the pass? Is the running back playing against the porous defense of the Raiders, or the stalwart defense of the Bears?

Conventional NFL statistics value plays based solely on their net yardage. The NFL determines the best players by adding up all their yards no matter what situations they came in or how many plays it took to get them. Now, why would they do that? Football has one objective -- to get to the end zone -- and two ways to achieve that -- by gaining yards and achieving first downs. These two goals need to be balanced to determine a player’s value or a team’s performance. All the yards in the world won’t help a team win if they all come in six-yard chunks on third-and-10.

The popularity of fantasy football only exacerbates the problem. Fans have gotten used to judging players based on how much they help fantasy teams win and lose, not how much they help real teams win and lose. Typical fantasy scoring further skews things by counting the yard between the one and the goal line as 61 times more important than all the other yards on the field (each yard worth 0.1 points, a touchdown worth 6). Let’s say Larry Fitzgerald catches a pass on third-and-15 and goes 50 yards but gets tackled two yards from the goal line, and then Andre Ellington takes the ball on first-and-goal from the two-yard line and plunges in for the score. Has Ellington done something special? Not really. When an offense gets the ball on first-and-goal at the two-yard line, they're expected to score a touchdown five out of six times. Ellington is getting credit for the work done by the passing game.

Doing a better job of distributing credit for scoring points and winning games is the goal of DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. DVOA breaks down every single play of the NFL season, assigning each play a value based on both total yards and yards towards a first down, based on work done by Pete Palmer, Bob Carroll, and John Thorn in their seminal book, The Hidden Game of Football. On first down, a play is considered a success if it gains 45 percent of needed yards; on second down, a play needs to gain 60 percent of needed yards; on third or fourth down, only gaining a new first down is considered success.

We then expand upon that basic idea with a more complicated system of “success points,” improved over the past few years with a lot of mathematics and a bit of trial and error. A successful play is worth one point; an unsuccessful play, zero points with fractional points in between (e.g., eight yards on third-and-10 is worth 0.54 “success points”). Extra points are awarded for big plays, gradually increasing to three points for 10 yards (assuming those yards result in a first down), four points for 20 yards, and five points for 40 yards or more. Losing three or more yards is -1 point. Interceptions occurring on fourth down during the last two minutes of a game incur no penalty whatsoever, but all others average -6 points, with an adjustment for the length of the pass and the location of the interception (since an interception tipped at the line is more likely to produce a long return than an interception on a 40-yard pass). A fumble is worth anywhere from -1.7 to -4.0 points depending on how often a fumble in that situation is lost to the defense -- no matter who actually recovers the fumble. Red zone plays get a bonus: 20 percent for team offense, five percent for team defense, and 10 percent for individual players. There is a bonus given for a touchdown, which acknowledges that the goal line is significantly more difficult to cross than the previous 99 yards (although this bonus is nowhere near as large as the one used in fantasy football).

(Our system is a bit more complex than the one in Hidden Game thanks to our subsequent research, which added larger penalties for turnovers, the fractional points, and a slightly higher baseline for success on first down. The reason why all fumbles are counted, no matter whether they are recovered by the offense or defense, is explained in FO Basics.)

Every single play run in the NFL gets a “success value” based on this system, and then that number gets compared to the average success values of plays in similar situations for all players, adjusted for a number of variables. These include down and distance, field location, time remaining in game, and the team’s lead or deficit in the game score. Teams are always compared to the overall offensive average, as the team made its own choice whether to pass or rush. When it comes to individual players, however, rushing plays are compared to other rushing plays, passing plays to other passing plays, tight ends to tight ends, wideouts to wideouts, and so on.

Going back to our example of the three-yard rush, if Player A gains three yards under a set of circumstances in which the average NFL running back gains only one yard, then Player A has a certain amount of value above others at his position. Likewise, if Player B gains three yards on a play on which, under similar circumstances, an average NFL back gains four yards, that Player B has negative value relative to others at his position. Once we make all our adjustments, we can evaluate the difference between this player’s rate of success and the expected success rate of an average running back in the same situation (or between the opposing defense and the average defense in the same situation, etc.). Add up every play by a certain team or player, divide by the total of the various baselines* for success in all those situations, and you get VOA, or Value Over Average.

The biggest variable in football is the fact that each team plays a different schedule against teams of disparate quality. By adjusting each play based on the opposing defense’s average success in stopping that type of play over the course of a season, we get DVOA, or Defense-adjusted Value Over Average. Rushing and passing plays are adjusted based on down and location on the field; passing plays are also adjusted based on how the defense performs against passes to running backs, tight ends, or wide receivers. Defenses are adjusted based on the average success of the offenses they are facing. (Yes, technically the defensive stats are actually “offense-adjusted.” If it seems weird, think of the “D” in “DVOA” as standing for “opponent-Dependent” or something.)

The final step in calculating DVOA involves normalizing each year's ratings. As you may know, offensive levels in the NFL have gone up and down over the years. Right now, the overall level of offense in the league is probably at its highest level of all time. Therefore, we need to ensure that DVOA in a given season isn't skewed by league environment.

For teams, DVOA is normalized so that league averages for offense and defense are 0%. (However, because pass plays are more efficient than run plays, league averages for team passing and team rushing are not zero.) For players, DVOA is normalized separately for individual passing, individual rushing, and the three individual receiving groups (wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs) so that the league average for each is 0%.

Of course, one of the hardest parts of understanding a new statistic is interpreting its scale. To use DVOA, you have to know what numbers represent good performance and what numbers represent bad performance. We’ve made that easy. In all cases, 0% represents league-average. A positive DVOA represents a situation that favors the offense, while a negative DVOA represents a situation that favors the defense. This is why the best offenses have positive DVOA ratings (last year, Green Bay led the league at +24.7%) and the best defenses have negative DVOA ratings (with Seattle number one in 2014 at -16.8%). In most years, the best and worst offenses tend to rate around ± 30%, while the best and worst defenses tend to rate around ± 25%. For starting players, the scale tends to reach roughly ± 40% for passing and receiving, and ± 30% for rushing. As you might imagine, some players with fewer attempts will surpass both extremes.

DVOA has three main advantages over more traditional ways to judge NFL performance. First, by subtracting defense DVOA from offense DVOA (and adding in special teams DVOA, which is described below), we can create a set of team rankings that's based on play-by-play efficiency rather than total yards. Because DVOA does a better job of explaining past wins and predicting future wins than total yards, it gives a more accurate picture of how much better (or worse) a team really is relative to the rest of the league.

Because it compares each play only to plays with similar circumstances, this advantage also applies vis-a-vis situational team rankings. The list of top DVOA offenses on third down, for example, is more accurate than the conventional NFL conversion statistic because it takes into account that converting third-and-long is more difficult than converting third-and-short, and that a turnover is worse than an incomplete pass because it eliminates the opportunity to move the other team back with a punt on fourth down. The same could be said about plays on fourth down or in the red zone.

Second, unlike formulas based on comparing drives rather than individual plays, DVOA can be separated into a myriad of splits (e.g., by down, by week, by distance needed for a first down, etc.). Therefore, we're able to break teams and players down to find strengths and weaknesses in a variety of situations. All Pittsburgh third downs can be compared to how an average team does on third down. Josh McCown and Mike Glennon can each be compared to how an average quarterback performs in the red zone, or with a lead, or in the second half of the game. This doesn't just give us a better idea of which team or player is better. More importantly, it helps us understand why they're better, and therefore allows us to offer prescriptions for improvement in the future.

Finally, a third advantage of DVOA is that normalization makes our comparisons of current teams and players to past teams and players (going back to 1989) more accurate than those based on traditional statistics like wins or total yards, as well as those based on more sophisticated metrics that aren't normalized (e.g., expected points added, passer rating differential, etc.). For instance, which Denver Broncos team had the better offense: the 2013 edition with Peyton Manning, or the 1998 club led by Terrell Davis? Going by total yardage (7,317 vs. 6,092) or even yards per play (6.3 vs. 5.9), it's not even a contest. The 2013 team were clearly better. However, this ignores the fact that the average NFL offense was much more pass-oriented, and thus more efficient, in 2013 than in 1998. If we take the difference in offensive environment into account by using DVOA, it turns out that the 1998 Broncos offense was slightly better relative to the rest of the league (34.5% to 33.5%).

*It should be noted that certain plays are included in DVOA for offense but not for defense. Other plays are included for both, but scored differently. This leads to separate baselines on each side of the ball. For instance

• Only four total penalties are included. Two penalties count as pass plays on both sides of the ball: intentional grounding and defensive pass interference. The other two penalties are included for offense only: false starts and delay of game. Because the inclusion of these penalties means a group of negative plays that don’t count as either passes or runs, the league averages for pass offense and run offense are higher than the league averages for pass defense and run defense.
  • Aborted snaps and incomplete backwards lateral passes are only penalized on offense, not rewarded on defense.
  • Adjustments for playing from behind or with a lead in the fourth quarter are different for offense and defense, as are adjustments for the final two minutes of the first half when the offense is not near field-goal range.
  • Offense gets a slight penalty and defense gets a slight bonus for games indoors.

you can finish the article at your own leisure to see how FO has made the distinction with baseball and basketball in relation to the amount of statistical significance that you can garner from a condensed 16 game season.

For the record!!! Im not saying stats are the only way to analyze and forecast games -- Im saying use them PLUS your gut instinct, PLUS what you see on the field. Take notes while you watch games. Look up questions you might have. Nobody should ever have any doubts in regard to information anymore. Its all there just floating around in space waiting for somebody to snatch it!

edit: we can go into EPA (expected points added) which seems to be gaining more traction in offering MORE than DVOA in particular to individual players but also as team rankings. Better yet just go through this glossary (https://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/stats/stats-explained/glossary) - its one of the first iterations so be your own judge. Look for logical connections using any and all tools available to you.

Last edited:
It's a mixed bag of results because it's playoffs. Playoff teams are usually pretty good. Go look at Peyton Manning's playoff record, or damn near anyone not named Tom Brady. Peyton's right at .500 (14-13). Not because he's a choker in the playoffs, or the Colts rested players in week 17, it's because playoff teams are better than rolling through the Texans twice a year or beating a bunch of other sub .500 teams on the schedule.

Drew Brees is 8-7 in the playoffs. Rodgers is 10-7. The competition is better in the playoffs, thus you're not going to rack up the 13-3 type numbers you would in the regular season.

The Ravens rested players and they have a bye. That will be a 2 week break for their guys. And it doesn't mean anything. If they get beat it won't be because they had a 2 week break. It'll be because they're playing a pretty good team where anything can happen on any given Sunday. Yes, even if that team is the Texans.

Every team, for as long as I can remember, who has their playoff positioning wrapped up, rests their starters if the game has no meaning. I'm as anti-OB as anybody here, but I'm not throwing that on him. EVERYBODY DOES IT!!

The other thing is if the ravens go to the SB, they will most likely have to play and beat 2 teams a 2nd time since they saw every 1 of the playoff AFC teams except the titans in the regular season. And as good as they are, it’s still tough for any team to beat a team for a 2nd time.

Of course we are going to see how each quarterback plays. Just be advised the Bills front 7 and secondary is way better than ours. Just be advised that Allen will not see the same type of heat Watson will be facing. Allen will be operating out of a much cleaner pocket.

This is all very likely to be the case as far as the line of scrimmage goes. Watson has way better WR's to throw to though. He has advantages also.

DVOA isn't perfect, and I don't think there is anything perfect, but it does go a lot more in-depth, taking in a bunch of factors, and is a good tool for assessment. I like, for example, the fact that a 5 yard gain has a different value if those 5 yards give you a 1st down or not. That's what DVOA does.

If you wanna use Vegas, that's fine and all, but a lot football fans like to dig into the nuts and bolts. That's what tools like DVOA provide. Again, not perfect, but neither is Vegas. Vegas told you a Patriots landslide over the Dolphins, and I'm sure any stats analysis out there did the same.

We need two defensive touchdowns to win.

I hit the laugh emoji but this is how I really feel cuz you might be right (Bill OBrien Playoff scoring offense = 12.5 PPG)

tenor.gif

I think the QB will play great and the Texans win despite being out coached. :kitten:
No you don't:

QB has to play better, HC has to coach better, and everyone else needs to minimize mistakes and do their freakin' jobs. It's basic stuff, but yet the Texans seem to fail even the basics sometimes.
How do you think that’s going to happen? How will they win if Watson plays poorly? I’m very curious about how you think the Texans beat the Bills if Watson plays poorly. They nearly lost to the Bucs with Winston trying to give them the game. And the Bills are a far better team than the Bucs.

Or are you just trying to stir the pot again?
Come on man. Mods have said everyone needs to ignore this kind of thing and not reply to it, especially with reason or logic or facts.

Interesting wrinkle to note that both Brian Daboll and Bill OBrien come from the NE coaching tree and both of them employ the "EP" offensive concepts. Prior to Deshaun Watson being drafted the Houston Texans were never ranked higher than 17th during the Bill OBrien era. After drafting Watson the offense has improved to 15th last year and 13th this year in his 2 full seasons.

Under Brian Daboll the Buffalo offense has 'improved' from 30th in Allens first year, to 24th in his second. Watson and Allen are both catalysts no doubt, but Watson regardless of his recent bad stretch and accusations of stupidity and inability to "progress" as well as Allen; moves the needle by himself. Allen needs alot of peripheral things to go well in order for his game to shine IMO. The do a good job of keeping him insulated and clean.

QB play will determine this game (big whopper, hot topic, out on the limb comment huh! LOL) Allen is lucky he gets to face a putrid unit, and Watson will again have to show the world he is DAvid vs Goliath. Big games is what Watson was built for hopefully he shows up.

on a sidenote this kind of reinforces my theory that the EP nomenclature and necessity for multiple reads is DEAD. Im going to start reading up on Daboll and see what he offers in his version that is better or worse or just par for the course with an outdated philosophy.

I think in the case of the Texans this year's DVOA is incomplete. The defense we'll play Saturday & hopefully the rest of the playoffs is not a defensive that has 6 games together to get any meaningful statistics.

Offensively we are who we are... Jeckyl & Hyde. BO'b doesn't even know what team he's going to field. The RPO let Watson take over, or the C3p0 let the defense tell us what we're going to do.

It's THE Mike Harris, so it has to be correct. Right? It's not like the Texans went 3-2 vs. AFC playoff teams, or anything. 3-1, if you count games where the starters played. But, Mike has tables showing the Texans having the smallest chance. So it must be true.

This guys odds probably mean nothing …. money isn't on the line , its just for clicks,

What are the Vegas odds for each team where big money is at stake ?

This guys odds probably mean nothing …. money isn't on the line , its just for clicks,

What are the Vegas odds for each team where big money is at stake ?

The Mirage has it Texans -3. Caesars has it Texans -2-1/2. It’s close, with some early money on the Bills to push it down a half a point.

DVOA isn't perfect, and I don't think there is anything perfect, but it does go a lot more in-depth, taking in a bunch of factors, and is a good tool for assessment. I like, for example, the fact that a 5 yard gain has a different value if those 5 yards give you a 1st down or not. That's what DVOA does.

If you wanna use Vegas, that's fine and all, but a lot football fans like to dig into the nuts and bolts. That's what tools like DVOA provide. Again, not perfect, but neither is Vegas. Vegas told you a Patriots landslide over the Dolphins, and I'm sure any stats analysis out there did the same.

I don't disagree. I just think one of the flaws is it overrates teams with an easy schedule. DVOA was telling us all year that New England's defense was one of the best of all time. That's preposterous.

I actually like this matchup. If fuller and JJ plays, I have a good feeling we will win. The bills run defense isn’t that great but there pass defense is top 5. The game plan should be start off hot. Score 2 tds on the first 3 drives and control the rest of the game using your running attack to kill the clock. The reality of the situation is that likely won’t happen. In fact, I’m guessing we will start off slow and maybe we can still win in a close game if we’re lucky. The lines been playing like sht lately and the Broncos game drew red flags. The Texans need to get there sh** together or theyre going to continue to be labeled as playoff pretenders lol. If we lose btw this isn’t O’Brien last game

I don't disagree. I just think one of the flaws is it overrates teams with an easy schedule. DVOA was telling us all year that New England's defense was one of the best of all time. That's preposterous.
Like I said, not perfect. Stats aren't the end all be all. They just help tell the story.

Is there a game plan that isn't score TDs on every drive?
1)If you’re up in a blow out, the game plan would be milk the clock and punt on 4th because points aren’t necessary anymore.

2) Don’t know if you’ve been watching the Texans lately but the opening play scripting hasn’t been good. Last week was the first time during the season we scored on a opening drive.

1)If you’re up in a blow out, the game plan would be milk the clock and punt on 4th because points aren’t necessary anymore.

2) Don’t know if you’ve been watching the Texans lately but the opening play scripting hasn’t been good. Last week was the first time during the season we scored on a opening drive.
One stat that astonished me is that it was the first opening drive in Texans franchise history of 15 or more plays with a TD.:thisbig:

Long time long suffering Bills fan I Expect a close one score game I would be very surprised if more than 40 points is scored or the difference is more than a field goal. That is the Bills mode of operation No matter the opponent its always a one score game. If we get up McDermott goes into prevent offense We have no killer instinct on offense. The Bills weakness is against the run and defending check downs and passing to the rbs/te's. Texans would be wise to stick with the run and tell Watson to not force the ball and take the checkdowns The tackling for my Bills has not been crisp neat the LOS the last few games. Also McDermott tends to go full vanilla on D and drop 7 for large chunks of the game. They want you to go the length of the field in long drives The downside obviously is if you can do it the defense will break late in the game.

Far as difference makers on defense the back end is very solid Tre White you want to avoid The other corner Levi Wallace if he plays or Johnson you can attack . Both safeties are excellent but in ball skils and run support. Linebacking core is fast but we dont have a thumper and Edmunds while a budding player sometimes is not where he should be against the run. D line again can be had against the run but is decent in pressuring the qb Not great, we dont have true dominant end rusher so pressure is either from coverage or scheme typically stunts. I'm sure Ed Oliver will be pumped for the "home" game. We truly suck playing the screen so if O'Brien pays attention expect the Texans to run a lot of screens.

On offense I hope to see the Bills try and run against the Texans to set up play action for Allen. Problem is that makes too much sense and Daboll likes to get cute and outsmart himself. Josh Allen tends to start slow Often missing opportunities early in games He's too jacked usually early on , young qb still learning. He's much better passing than PFF likes to push Intermediate he's deadly when his feet are set and will throw into tiny windows. His problem area is being too jacked and missing guys on deep throws with overthrows We stink running screens almost as bad as we do defending them. Allen does not use check downs much and we run empty set entirely too much. Allen can run and will hurt you if you play a lot of man and he can get past the D line. In the red zone he's a threat to run and almost automatic on sneaks. Bills primarily funnel the passing through only two wrs John Brown and Cole Beasley. WR3 has been non existent McKenzie is there for jet sweep motion plays Duke Williams is typically inactive but is a big bodied wr Bills fans have been clamoring for because the rest of the wrs are tiny. He has not been active much till week 17 when they rested the starters in favor of special teams guys. TE Dawson Knox can get downfield but questionable hands Kroft has been a non factor. Rbs you all know what Gore is. Singeltary is their future back. He's shifty surprisingly good between tackles but has had some troubles with coughing the ball up. Yeldon I'd love to see but typically inactive again in favor of special teams guys. OL is decent but weak link is Cody Ford at RT He really struggles with fast speed guys. One last thought, eams have been going after Allen a lot with zero blitzes Daboll tends to call long developing routes instead of having quick checkdowns available If that continues the Bills will sputter on Offense

Good luck I expect a nerve wracking 4 quarters down to the last few minutes

Ehh I’m out on advanced stats in all sports b/c they can never factor in what things like injuries, momentum, bad officiating and the effect a tense situation/ moment can do to a player/team. I’ve just seen too many games come down to an injury, bad call/ non-call by the official.

Long time long suffering Bills fan I Expect a close one score game I would be very surprised if more than 40 points is scored or the difference is more than a field goal. That is the Bills mode of operation No matter the opponent its always a one score game. If we get up McDermott goes into prevent offense We have no killer instinct on offense. The Bills weakness is against the run and defending check downs and passing to the rbs/te's. Texans would be wise to stick with the run and tell Watson to not force the ball and take the checkdowns The tackling for my Bills has not been crisp neat the LOS the last few games. Also McDermott tends to go full vanilla on D and drop 7 for large chunks of the game. They want you to go the length of the field in long drives The downside obviously is if you can do it the defense will break late in the game.

Far as difference makers on defense the back end is very solid Tre White you want to avoid The other corner Levi Wallace if he plays or Johnson you can attack . Both safeties are excellent but in ball skils and run support. Linebacking core is fast but we dont have a thumper and Edmunds while a budding player sometimes is not where he should be against the run. D line again can be had against the run but is decent in pressuring the qb Not great, we dont have true dominant end rusher so pressure is either from coverage or scheme typically stunts. I'm sure Ed Oliver will be pumped for the "home" game. We truly suck playing the screen so if O'Brien pays attention expect the Texans to run a lot of screens.

On offense I hope to see the Bills try and run against the Texans to set up play action for Allen. Problem is that makes too much sense and Daboll likes to get cute and outsmart himself. Josh Allen tends to start slow Often missing opportunities early in games He's too jacked usually early on , young qb still learning. He's much better passing than PFF likes to push Intermediate he's deadly when his feet are set and will throw into tiny windows. His problem area is being too jacked and missing guys on deep throws with overthrows We stink running screens almost as bad as we do defending them. Allen does not use check downs much and we run empty set entirely too much. Allen can run and will hurt you if you play a lot of man and he can get past the D line. In the red zone he's a threat to run and almost automatic on sneaks. Bills primarily funnel the passing through only two wrs John Brown and Cole Beasley. WR3 has been non existent McKenzie is there for jet sweep motion plays Duke Williams is typically inactive but is a big bodied wr Bills fans have been clamoring for because the rest of the wrs are tiny. He has not been active much till week 17 when they rested the starters in favor of special teams guys. TE Dawson Knox can get downfield but questionable hands Kroft has been a non factor. Rbs you all know what Gore is. Singeltary is their future back. He's shifty surprisingly good between tackles but has had some troubles with coughing the ball up. Yeldon I'd love to see but typically inactive again in favor of special teams guys. OL is decent but weak link is Cody Ford at RT He really struggles with fast speed guys. One last thought, eams have been going after Allen a lot with zero blitzes Daboll tends to call long developing routes instead of having quick checkdowns available If that continues the Bills will sputter on Offense

Good luck I expect a nerve wracking 4 quarters down to the last few minutes

Great assessment on your team there. I've always thought it was unfortunate the Bill's weren't looked on higher as a dynasty in your sb run because you couldn't at least win 2 out of 4 sb games.

Don Bebe's hustle play on Newton will always be one of my favorites in history.

That said, I and i suppose most here are former oiler fans. The Reich led comeback is the single worst day in my nfl fandom. It has tainted every win I've ever watched for my team since. There will always be the creeping thought in my mind of "what if" in the last few minutes...

That 1 stupid game wrecked a lot of nfl fantasies growing up here. We are reminded of it regularly by national media.

Despite all that, I will always root for the Bill's against the cowboys unless it adversely effects us. I will always root for the Bill's against the Pat's unless it adversely effects us. I will always root for the Bill's against the other AFC south teams.

Good luck. Just not this week.

Ehh I’m out on advanced stats in all sports b/c they can never factor in what things like injuries, momentum, bad officiating and the effect a tense situation/ moment can do to a player/team. I’ve just seen too many games come down to an injury, bad call/ non-call by the official.

That's why I said you don't use stats as an end all, be all. They only tell part of the story. So many other factors to consider, like those you mentioned, eyeball test, weather conditions, and so on and so forth.

But so many times someone will say x team has the #1 defense because they've given up the least amount of total yards. Say what you want about DVOA or any other advanced stats, but that tells a person absolutely nothing.

Big difference in your D giving up a TD on a 75 yard drive and giving up a TD because your offense fumbled at the 5 yard line. Big difference in your defense giving up big yards in garbage time, and them giving up yards in a close game. DVOA at least takes some of those things into consideration.

I lean on DVOA for just that reason. It takes a lot more factors into consideration. Things like picking up 5 yards on 3rd and 4 carrying more weight than picking up 16 yards on 3rd and 18. That tells a lot more of the story than just saying you only gained 5 yards on this play but got 16 on that one. Same on defense. If your defense gives up 5 yards on 3rd and 4, or 16 yards on 3rd and 18, which is better? DVOA accounts for that. You give up a ton yards in garbage time because you have a big lead, or your offense goes into turtle mode because they have a big lead. DVOA accounts for that.

But like I said, it's not the end all be all. There are plenty of other factors as well, like the ones we've touched on. I can watch the Bengals play and tell you how bad they are never looking at a stat. I actually do that with the Texans. I just use stats to verify what I'm seeing. If you're going to tell me Josh Allen is a better QB than Watson, I don't need stats to tell you you're a ******* lunatic. But I'll at least have those stats to back up what my eyeballs see.

Some people on here think BO'b pulling starters for our last regular season game showed a sign of weakness. Teams who did and did not hold their best players in the final regular season game historically shows a mixed bag of results. We shall find out if holding our best players out was a good idea. I don't have any problem personally with holding out starters last Sunday. I shall see if my opinion remains as is or I eat crow and admit that the other way of thinking was the right way.

I hope we are not stuck with a head coach who can not get past the first round of the playoffs for many seasons much like Cincinatti Bengals fans had to endure under former head coach Marv Lewis.

That is not what we believe or said. Well it’s not what I meant. There’s a terrible trend going on here. That trend and mentality needs to be broken, and I mean quickly. This is what I believe most of you good people fail to recognize.

I really don’t care about what other fans had to endure. This is all about the Texans and their lackadaisical approach before the season starts and throughout said seasons. This has been going on for a sizzling hot minute now.

It seems as if they’re just satisfied with the bare minimum.

But I’m very hopeful, we might catch fire and go deep into the playoffs. If so the tone will change. Bill O’Brien will look like a genius,

Prove of me wrong Obrien.

Prove me wrong

That is not what we believe or said. Well it’s not what I meant. There’s a terrible trend going on here. That trend and mentality needs to be broken, and I mean quickly. This is what I believe most of you good people fail to recognize.

I really don’t care about what other fans had to endure. This is all about the Texans and their lackadaisical approach before the season starts and throughout said seasons. This has been going on for a sizzling hot minute now.

It seems as if they’re just satisfied with the bare minimum.

But I’m very hopeful, we might catch fire and go deep into the playoffs. If so the tone will change. Bill O’Brien will look like a genius,

Prove of me wrong Obrien.

Prove me wrong

I like your inspiration. And all seems well till major players get hurt in a meaningless game.

Great assessment on your team there. I've always thought it was unfortunate the Bill's weren't looked on higher as a dynasty in your sb run because you couldn't at least win 2 out of 4 sb games.

Don Bebe's hustle play on Newton will always be one of my favorites in history.

That said, I and i suppose most here are former oiler fans. The Reich led comeback is the single worst day in my nfl fandom. It has tainted every win I've ever watched for my team since. There will always be the creeping thought in my mind of "what if" in the last few minutes...

That 1 stupid game wrecked a lot of nfl fantasies growing up here. We are reminded of it regularly by national media.

Despite all that, I will always root for the Bill's against the cowboys unless it adversely effects us. I will always root for the Bill's against the Pat's unless it adversely effects us. I will always root for the Bill's against the other AFC south teams.

Good luck. Just not this week.

Technically the "Oilers" paid us back with the Music City Miracle. lol Warren Moon was a terrific qb and that run and shoot was a lot of fun to watch. Glad the city at least got a replacement team (not a fan of all the moving around) Reading the board here I sense some frustration. Mostly O'Brien? Watson to me is a top 5 qb hopefully Josh Allen can progress to get up there with some more growth and better weapons.

Nor can they measure emotion

Back