Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

Texan Asylum

Hall of Fame
Whoaaaa. Flutie's arm was STRONGER than Bryce Young's? you sure about that SB? For the record, the throw - which Flutie could step into completely - was 64 yards (thrown from the 37 YL and caught 1 yard into the EZ)

And Flutie was more mobile than Young? Certainly Flutie was amazingly mobile. I just don't know about more mobile - that's quite the claim.

Excellent video! Thanks for the post…

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Daren Sproles, Marvin Harrison. Drew Brees, Desean Jackson,….Austin Ekler….… People in here act like small dudes haven’t been playing and having success in the NFL for decades. This isn’t even counting the defensive side of the ball where pretty much every other DB is Young’s size……& where it’s physically more demanding to play. guys like Darelle Revis, Earl Thomas….Tyrann Mathieu…….All of the above named dudes were as short, small or both as Young is now and had or are having great careers. Most also played positions where the punishment was as high or much higher than what Young will face with all the rules protecting qbs.

When analyzing smaller guys, the most important thing to grade outside of their ability to play is their ability to know how to take a hit and get down to protect themselves at the appropriate times…Thats why a prototype guy who likes to run in RG3 can suffer basically a career ending injury in his 2nd year despite all his great measurables, while a shorter guy like Russell Wilson can play & thrive in the league for a decade doing the same thing. Guys like Tua showed that in college he didn’t know how to take hits and get down…thats why every time he gets tackled in the NFL, he lands awkwardly…head bouncing off the turf and ****….

Even with Kyler Murray…his injuries haven’t really been b/c of his stature or b/c of hits he’s taken starting to pile up
..he’s been injured alot b/c he pushes the envelope when he’s running around..latest most serious injury was a non contact injury completely unrelated to his stature.

Aside from that, putting on 5-8 pounds of lean muscle…which Young is sure to do on an NFL training program is easy as hell. He could damn near do that in the offseason getting ready for the combine.

He’s also got PLENTY of arm strength.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Daren Sproles, Marvin Harrison. Drew Brees, Desean Jackson,….Austin Ekler….… People in here act like small dudes haven’t been playing and having success in the NFL for decades. This isn’t even counting the defensive side of the ball where pretty much every other DB is Young’s size……& where it’s physically more demanding to play. guys like Darelle Revis, Earl Thomas….Tyrann Mathieu…….All of the above named dudes were as short, small or both as Young is now and had or are having great careers. Most also played positions where the punishment was as high or much higher than what Young will face with all the rules protecting qbs.

When analyzing smaller guys, the most important thing to grade outside of their ability to play is their ability to know how to take a hit and get down to protect themselves at the appropriate times…Thats why a prototype guy who likes to run in RG3 can suffer basically a career ending injury in his 2nd year despite all his great measurables, while a shorter guy like Russell Wilson can play & thrive in the league for a decade doing the same thing. Guys like Tua showed that in college he didn’t know how to take hits and get down…thats why every time he gets tackled in the NFL, he lands awkwardly…head bouncing off the turf and ****….

Even with Kyler Murray…his injuries haven’t really been b/c of his stature or b/c of hits he’s taken starting to pile up
..he’s been injured alot b/c he pushes the envelope when he’s running around..latest most serious injury was a non contact injury completely unrelated to his stature.

Aside from that, putting on 5-8 pounds of lean muscle…which Young is sure to do on an NFL training program is easy as hell. He could damn near do that in the offseason getting ready for the combine.

He’s also got PLENTY of arm strength.
All true, but I wouldn't bet 1-1 on him becoming a championship level QB.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
The NFL is rife with things teams “don’t” do for reasons that have long been dispelled. Its bound to happen at some point.

there was also a point in time when teams didn’t think blacks could play the qb position too.
Ooh, pulled out the big gun on that one .... sorry TK, play according to rules. Get a blank, quizzical look on your face and fall over !

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
The NFL is rife with things teams “don’t” do for reasons that have long been dispelled. Its bound to happen at some point.

there was also a point in time when teams didn’t think blacks could play the qb position too.
Doesn't change the fact that it hasn't happened yet. You're griping because:

People in here act like small dudes haven’t been playing and having success in the NFL for decades.
& I'm saying, no. That's not the only reason some of us are against drafting a 195lb QB. I don't want this to be the first team to do it. The media are going to present the picture that Young is at the top of draft boards. But NFL teams most likely won't. He may very well be the top rated QB, but even that doesn't mean he'll be the first QB drafted. Why? Because he weighs 190lbs. Not 195lbs, 190lbs.

One day, this will be long dispelled. But now... nope.

Cerberus

Hall of Fame
Interesting read, even if it doesn't happen. I didn't consider the ties to Houston, which is really why it is at the moment just a rumor but one that as the article states could be worked out.

You all can have him now, we're done with him in Vegas. He's a good QB, but not great. Or as one person put it, he is the worst good QB in the league. You can't help but like him. Heck, I still like him. He's just not going to take anyone to the SB. He's not tough enough, and I think that goes back to when he broke his leg.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You all can have him now, we're done with him in Vegas. He's a good QB, but not great. Or as one person put it, he is the worst good QB in the league. You can't help but like him. Heck, I still like him. He's just not going to take anyone to the SB. He's not tough enough, and I think that goes back to when he broke his leg.
Hopefully he can be like Geno Smith is in Seattle. A good vet to have until we find a young franchise quarterback.

Cerberus

Hall of Fame
Hopefully he can be like Geno Smith is in Seattle. A good vet to have until we find a young franchise quarterback.
That is not how he sees himself.

Don't get me wrong, Carr is a good QB. He is just no where near a Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
How about trading 1.2 to LV for 1.7 & 2.38 & Carr? Is he worth his salary for a couple years?
I would definitely do this and draft a QB in 2024.

1-7 Edge Tyree Wilson
1-12 WR Hyatt
2-33 RB Achane
2-37 DT Mazi Smith
3-65 Avila OC/OG
3-75 Kinkaid TE
4-103 OG Beebe, I would trade up if needed.
5. Johnson UT RB

What a haul, this would set this franchise up for yrs to come.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The Raiders really almost have to release him. The no-trade clause basically will force the Raiders to release him unless Carr is feeling nice. But why? And why would he want the team to where he would be headed, to lose draft picks he himself could appreciate?
So he can keep that $120M contract

76Texan

Hall of Fame

1-7 Edge Tyree Wilson
1-12 WR Hyatt
2-33 RB Achane
2-37 DT Mazi Smith
3-65 Avila OC/OG
3-75 Kinkaid TE
5. Johnson UT RB

Let's say Nick Caserio can do all the marvelous things you want him to do, where will that put the Texans next year, supposedly with a better HC also.

Are they still going to tank so they can get the QB that you want?

The Texans should have rolled the dice with Pickett last year instead of taking Green.
The Steelers would have gotten to the playoffs with a healthy TJ Watt.
He threw only 2 INTs in his last 9 games (and at least 3 of his INTs weren't on him).

Pickett isn't all that, but he had played in Three Rivers Stadium in the winter.

And he would only be a mid first pick.

You can't wait forever for a franchise QB.
Unless you tank and tank and then tank again, and then tank again.

At one point, you would just have to roll the dice at take the best prospect available.

But no, Nick Caserio had to give his first pick, as an independent GM, all the chances (while jeopardizing the evaluation process for all of the other players on the offense).
And you're still in his corner.

IMHO, it was a very bad strategy.

Why does Brandin Cooks want out?
He definitely does not believe in Caserio's vision.

And Tunsil just wants to reset the LT market.
He's taking Caserio hostage.

Nick is just hoping that the next HC will save his A.

In the meantime, he's raking in millions of dollars for just being a file clerk.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

1-7 Edge Tyree Wilson
1-12 WR Hyatt
2-33 RB Achane
2-37 DT Mazi Smith
3-65 Avila OC/OG
3-75 Kinkaid TE
5. Johnson UT RB

And so what if Mills can do better with a better supporting cast.

Do you see him seriously give the Texans a chance for the Lombardi trophy?

If you don't then it was a waste of a third round pick, where you can find a starter, perhaps an Olineman that could help your QB in reaching that goal.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Funny how Stroud hasn’t declared yet. Mulugheta can’t be that stupid. Wait a minute, yeah he can.
Why or who says he has to come out this year? I mean, he's getting paid good money to take care of his family. Maybe he wants to win the Heisman, maybe a Natty. Peyton and Eli played 4 years because they have family security. I think that's one of the good things about NIL and college players getting paid.

djohn2oo8

All Pro
Why or who says he has to come out this year? I mean, he's getting paid good money to take care of his family. Maybe he wants to win the Heisman, maybe a Natty. Peyton and Eli played 4 years because they have family security. I think that's one of the good things about NIL and college players getting paid.
And if he gets hurt and it ends his career he would have lost multi millions.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
And if he gets hurt and it ends his career he would have lost multi millions.
That could be any player period. It's football. It didn't hurt Peyton or Eli staying extra years. He's a redshirt sophomore and maybe he has team and personal goals he wants to accomplish in college. Best believe, even if he gets injured, as long as it's not the head,neck, or back, he's still going 1st rd. We've seen cb ,rbs,and wrs get drafted in the 1st rd despite a significant injury.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Tomorrow is the deadline for Stroud to declare. The fact that he hasn’t yet leads me to believe he isn’t. That changes the dynamic drastically, and makes Lovie’s FU on the way out of town even more infuriating. And that’s partially on Casserio and Cal as well. Gotta be less brain dead, and more self-aware than that.

Texansballer74

The Marine
Tomorrow is the deadline for Stroud to declare. The fact that he hasn’t yet leads me to believe he isn’t. That changes the dynamic drastically, and makes Lovie’s FU on the way out of town even more infuriating. And that’s partially on Casserio and Cal as well. Gotta be less brain dead, and more self-aware than that.
Why is Houston continually getting F’d? This crap just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Why is Houston continually getting F’d? This crap just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.
If Stroud does not declare, then in '24 there'll be 3 QB's on top of all the draft boards, increasing the odds the Texans may have a shot at one, if they decide not to draft a QB this year. The irony would be Stroud could conceivably drop to the #3 QB. What would that cost him?

Texansballer74

The Marine
If Stroud does not declare, then in '24 there'll be 3 QB's on top of all the draft boards, increasing the odds the Texans may have a shot at one, if they decide not to draft a QB this year. The irony would be Stroud could conceivably drop to the #3 QB. What would that cost him?
He has declared finally. So let’s see how Nick and whoever the new coach cooks.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Jags went from the #1 pick in the draft to winning a playoff game in one season. Coaching matters.
They also added a totally new set of skill position players.

The Texans need to add play makers to the roster. It's no coincidence that Lawrence looks better with better skill position players. He's still not all that.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
They also added a totally new set of skill position players.

The Texans need to add play makers to the roster. It's no coincidence that Lawrence looks better with better skill position players. He's still not all that.
Every team adds players, don't they? Even Texans had a couple first rounders plus multiple other contributors (Petri/Pierce) but so did the Chargers, they added JC Jackson, Kahlil Mack, Sebastian Joseph Day & Austin Johnson (to solidify DL) extended Mike Williams and drafted Zion Johnson just to name a few, but forgot one important thing, Coaching.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Every team adds players, don't they? Even Texans had a couple first rounders plus multiple other contributors (Petri/Pierce) but so did the Chargers, they added JC Jackson, Kahlil Mack, Sebastian Joseph Day & Austin Johnson (to solidify DL) extended Mike Williams and drafted Zion Johnson just to name a few, but forgot one important thing, Coaching.
Even with the great coaching Pederson has done, he knew players win games. Coaching definitely matters, but the Chargers made the playoffs with subpar coaching?

Are they going to fire Staley?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Even with the great coaching Pederson has done, he knew players win games. Coaching definitely matters, but the Chargers made the playoffs with subpar coaching?

Are they going to fire Staley?
They should. And here is the reason why, tell me if this sounds familiar.

1. Plugging players into scheme out of position, thus not playing to their strengths.

2. Not making adjustments when clearly other team has figured out your game plan.

3. Failing to protect players in meaningless situations.

4. Sustaining system that comes with known holes (run D) and expecting different results.

5. Asking your franchise QB to fit in a system that doesn’t capitalize on his strengths and subjects him to injury.

I could keep going, but you get the idea. Bottom line, likable talented coach, very cerebral but doesn’t translate to game day and make sound decisions under pressure in big game moments.

michaelm

vox nihili
They should. And here is the reason why, tell me if this sounds familiar.

1. Plugging players into scheme out of position, thus not playing to their strengths.

2. Not making adjustments when clearly other team has figured out your game plan.

3. Failing to protect players in meaningless situations.

4. Sustaining system that comes with known holes (run D) and expecting different results.

5. Asking your franchise QB to fit in a system that doesn’t capitalize on his strengths and subjects him to injury.

I could keep going, but you get the idea. Bottom line, likable talented coach, very cerebral but doesn’t translate to game day and make sound decisions under pressure in big game moments.
If the Chargers hire Payton and Staley is available, how do you like him as DC under Gannon?

They're childhood friends and supposedly have similar coaching minds.

Or possibly Gannon goes without a DC?

beerlover

Hall of Fame
If the Chargers hire Payton and Staley is available, how do you like him as DC under Gannon?

They're childhood friends and supposedly have similar coaching minds.

Or possibly Gannon goes without a DC?
He would command a high salary but this is his wheelhouse. Chip on his shoulder, plays a lot of man, good thing for Stingley. Allow Gannon to focus on being best possible Head Coach.

Mangler

Toro de España
He would command a high salary but this is his wheelhouse. Chip on his shoulder, plays a lot of man, good thing for Stingley. Allow Gannon to focus on being best possible Head Coach.
While I want an offensive HC, I’m in on Gannon/Staley. I really want to see a list of the guys Payton has put together since the media claims he has an “all-star” coaching staff set to join him.

Last edited:

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Should clarify, believe Chargers won’t fire Staley but probably retain his services remainder of his four year contract. Now a lot of that depends on Herbert. They must draft more offensive linemen in 2023. Fire Lombardi & find a new
OC that fits Herbert’s strengths and get him some speed on the outside. Can’t get much worse for him than these past two seasons.

You have brought up a great idea in this process that I’ve never thought about before, why not weaponize the coaching staff? Gannon/Staley types, who fit/systems mesh together. Head Coach in lock step with GM & ownership. Pipe dreams I know, but never say never.

At minimum, Texans are finally shaking off the O’Brian cobwebs and more receptive to better qualified, higher ceiling coaching candidates. Since I started this post off with Gannon/Staley combo and Brandon needs to fire OC Joe Lombardi how about the Chargers OC before Staley/Lombardi Shane Steichen.
Shane was let go with Anthony Lynn firing (who ended up in Detroit as OC and fired, replaced by another in demand Head Coaching candidateBen Johnson.
Gannon, Steichen or Johnson for me. Have no idea about Cal or Nick. Indeed, the Texans have conducted actual Zoom interviews with all three of them on Friday and Saturday — Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen, and Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon.

Would the deciding factor be on the men themselves or the men whom they would bring to the table? Who is the best qualified Head Coaching Candidate for Houston Texan under NcNair’s?

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
Worst case scenario - Pick 12 on will Levi’s? Or will he be gone before then
There is a better than zero chance Levis goes 1.1. If you believe Vegas Levis has gone from +1400 to +800 odds to be the first pick since the last week of the season. Going to/and impressing at the Senio Bowl and Young coming shorter than expected at the combine could impact this further.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Should clarify, believe Chargers won’t fire Staley but probably retain his services remainder of his four year contract. Now a lot of that depends on Herbert. They must draft more offensive linemen in 2023. Fire Lombardi & find a new
OC that fits Herbert’s strengths and get him some speed on the outside. Can’t get much worse for him than these past two seasons.

You have brought up a great idea in this process that I’ve never thought about before, why not weaponize the coaching staff? Gannon/Staley types, who fit/systems mesh together. Head Coach in lock step with GM & ownership. Pipe dreams I know, but never say never.

At minimum, Texans are finally shaking off the O’Brian cobwebs and more receptive to better qualified, higher ceiling coaching candidates. Since I started this post off with Gannon/Staley combo and Brandon needs to fire OC Joe Lombardi how about the Chargers OC before Staley/Lombardi Shane Steichen.
Shane was let go with Anthony Lynn firing (who ended up in Detroit as OC and fired, replaced by another in demand Head Coaching candidateBen Johnson.
Gannon, Steichen or Johnson for me. Have no idea about Cal or Nick. Indeed, the Texans have conducted actual Zoom interviews with all three of them on Friday and Saturday — Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson, Eagles offensive coordinator Shane Steichen, and Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon.

Would the deciding factor be on the men themselves or the men whom they would bring to the table? Who is the best qualified Head Coaching Candidate for Houston Texan under NcNair’s?
Great post,

The Chargers need to add an impact WR and TE before they add an ol. IMHO. They also should consider drafting a guy like IKA at the bottom of the 1st. Rashee Rice would be a great fit for them at the bottom of the 1st.

With an ol of

Slater/Fieler/Lindsey/Johnson and Salyer that's a great starting 5. I probably would go WR and DT with the 1st two picks and OT and then trade up for a center in the 3rd for the ol depth you're wanting.

As far as the Texans HC search goes, as I've said I want the guy who can bring in the best staff of proven teachers. So far as far as I've read, that's been Gannon. Steichen having Lynn as OC is a big no for me. You as a Chargers fan have seen up close and personal why. I've heard Payton is bringing an all star staff with him. If that's true then sign me up for Payton. One thing to keep in mind is if you pay Payton, you're going to have to pay the all star staff top dollar too, which I'm totally on board with.

Pay what it takes to put the best product on the field possible and that includes the coaches, the fans will comeback in a couple of yrs if Cal spends the money. Spending the money on an experienced top level HC and staff would be a 1st for the McNair's.