Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

Well, obviously. Nobody knows for 100% certainty who will or won't pan out. Have to trust you scouting report and there's a reason why there's no true consensus like Lawrence or Luck or Manning this year... it's because all of these QBs have significant holes in their game or questions about translatibility at the NFL level. Will Levis is Mel Kiper's top QB for God sakes.... So it becomes a matter of risk as much as need.

Again - and I will keep saying this until the draft - the team cannot and must not miss on a high lottery QB because you get double penalized from not getting a core player and it's hard to move off a Top 3 QB. You waste a minimum of 3 years on your rebuild and enter a very bad place. I wish there was a more surefire player to choose from relative to this draft position, but there just isn't.

Let's see what happens @ the Combine. A lot can still in terms of perceptions. Today's opinions may shift after we see the measurables and peer comparisons on neutral field.
Most teams needing a QB will be nervous about this year's crop with good reason.
Those with a strong supporting cast of coaches and players will be more confident choosing one but teams like Texans need to build up both of those aspects to give their rookie a chance to succeed. As you pointed out, there are no perfect candidate QBs in this class so option B would be to bring in a Vet - unless you feel you can make enough of a jump in a quality supporting cast to warrant drafting one.
Unfortunately for Texans, they need to boost fanbase excitement to boost sales and the best way to do that is with a shiny new QB.
They may feel a Vet might do that and if they can, then they can get maximum value from the draft and generate excitement that way to supplement that decision.
It is a quandary for the FO, so they need to get busy this off season and with the wealth of cap space and draft picks this go round, they will be very busy.

Most teams needing a QB will be nervous about this year's crop with good reason.
Those with a strong supporting cast of coaches and players will be more confident choosing one but teams like Texans need to build up both of those aspects to give their rookie a chance to succeed. As you pointed out, there are no perfect candidate QBs in this class so option B would be to bring in a Vet - unless you feel you can make enough of a jump in a quality supporting cast to warrant drafting one.
Unfortunately for Texans, they need to boost fanbase excitement to boost sales and the best way to do that is with a shiny new QB.
They may feel a Vet might do that and if they can, then they can get maximum value from the draft and generate excitement that way to supplement that decision.
It is a quandary for the FO, so they need to get busy this off season and with the wealth of cap space and draft picks this go round, they will be very busy.
Valid, reasonable points, but I'd be willing to roll with Bryce and new coach (DeMeco) to build around. Either way its a process, just like to get QB need in rear view mirror.

Valid, reasonable points, but I'd be willing to roll with Bryce and new coach (DeMeco) to build around. Either way its a process, just like to get QB need in rear view mirror.
I hear ya - the QB carousel ain't no joke.
I wonder how much power of choice Ryan's will have in making that decision and how much credence will he give to his OCs choice...scheme fit suitability may well decide the outcome and well it should.

It's a process. Get a Deshaun Watson level QB & we could win 4 games.

:thinking:

All I want from a QB for the next two seasons is accurate throws & good decisions. Think Alex Smith.

I want a solid foundation to have been built over the next two seasons that I can plug in a QB in 2025, 2026, or 2027 to a team that will know how to run routes, set up screens, run the ball, stop the run, & provide more than a speed bump for opposing QBs.

Yeah, if there's a Peyton Manning in this draft I hope we're able to get him with the 2nd pick. If there's a Roethlisberger, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees, I hope we can get him at 12.

I don't want to draft even a Watson at 1.2... that's not drafting well.

Heck you can win 4 games with lesser talent and Mills at QB. Probably more with an easier schedule this yr.

What makes you think that Bryce is different than every other QB in NFL history with his size and frame, Other than hope?

I hear ya - the QB carousel ain't no joke.
I wonder how much power of choice Ryan's will have in making that decision and how much credence will he give to his OCs choice...scheme fit suitability may well decide the outcome and well it should.
Ultimately this decision will fall on Cal/Ryans.

Plateria of baiting, all day today and too much alcohol coursing through my veins to have a clear vision other than, excuses over, go bring DeMeco back to Houston where he belongs.

:wesmantexanfan:
Well as long as we're consuming beverages...DeMeco comes to Houston for 3 years and then bolts back to Alabama (his home) to take over for a retiring Nick Saban.
640px-Magic_8_Ball_-_Instrument_Of_Evil _(2426454804).jpg

Really warming up to the idea of signing Derek Carr then drafting a QB next year. That gives the young QB time to learn and get acclimated to the NFL speed. I’m not for getting our QB of the future destroyed behind this incomplete offensive line just because the fan base is desperate.
If we get Carr, we may not need a rookie with our first pick for a while.

Really warming up to the idea of signing Derek Carr then drafting a QB next year. That gives the young QB time to learn and get acclimated to the NFL speed. I’m not for getting our QB of the future destroyed behind this incomplete offensive line just because the fan base is desperate.
Another reason to wait until 2024 to draft a QB. Build out the OL/DL and then draft a QB.

Another reason to wait until 2024 to draft a QB. Build out the OL/DL and then draft a QB.
That's if Carr is not our guy. If he is, problem solved. I think he can be our guy. He has the fire and the leadership.
Jimmy G should be okay too, if he can stay on the field but I prefer Carr. If we can get one of those two, you draft a QB in the mid/lower rounds and let him learn from Vet and Mills.

Do you guys really think that Coach Ryans is ready to tie his career to a 32 year old QB? Carr is not signing anywhere on a one year deal.

We have more than enough draft capital to draft one next year. Especially if Derapist goes down with an injury or flat out sucks again. We have two firsts and a boatload of other picks. If Nick hits on multiple positions in this draft and signs good FA, there should be nothing holding us back from moving up to get our guy in 2024.

Do you guys really think that Coach Ryans is ready to tie his career to a 32 year old QB? Carr is not signing anywhere on a one year deal.
A three year deal would work for both sides. I’m sure Nick would restructure Carr’s contract like he did Tunsil, Cooks, and Mercilus. Nick fixed those retarded ass contracts Obrien and Easterby gave those guys.

Last edited:
If Nick hits on multiple positions in this draft and signs good FA, there should be nothing holding us back from moving up to get our guy in 2024.
Unless the team with the pick actually wants "our guy".
A three year deal would work for both sides. I’m sure Nick would restructure Carr’s contract like he did Tunsil, Cooks, and Mercilus.
Wait, you have the Texans trading for Carr's ridiculous contract and giving up picks?

Well, obviously. Nobody knows for 100% certainty who will or won't pan out. Have to trust you scouting report and there's a reason why there's no true consensus like Lawrence or Luck or Manning this year... it's because all of these QBs have significant holes in their game or questions about translatibility at the NFL level. Will Levis is Mel Kiper's top QB for God sakes.... So it becomes a matter of risk as much as need.

Again - and I will keep saying this until the draft - the team cannot and must not miss on a high lottery QB because you get double penalized from not getting a core player and it's hard to move off a Top 3 QB. You waste a minimum of 3 years on your rebuild and enter a very bad place. I wish there was a more surefire player to choose from relative to this draft position, but there just isn't.

Let's see what happens @ the Combine. A lot can still in terms of perceptions. Today's opinions may shift after we see the measurables and peer comparisons on neutral field.
There was no concensus in 2017 either.
And one of those guys already won a SB and is about to be in the SB yet again.

Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben; heck even Montana and Brady weren't highly regarded when they came out either.

Mahomes, Josh Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Hurts, etc. weren't either.

Why do you think Young is the number one QB on most draft board despite his size and frame?
Draftniks often have one player as the can't miss/#1 prospect, and they are often wrong. I remember one other time that we had the #1 pick, and the draft expert's consensus was that Reggie Bush was the can't miss, best player in the draft, possibly the best RB ever, and that the Texans were stupid if they didn't take Bush #1 overall. Yeah, Bush didn't turn out to be all that. I'm feeling the same way about BY.

Draftniks often have one player as the can't miss/#1 prospect, and they are often wrong. I remember one other time that we had the #1 pick, and the draft expert's consensus was that Reggie Bush was the can't miss, best player in the draft, possibly the best RB ever, and that the Texans were stupid if they didn't take Bush #1 overall. Yeah, Bush didn't turn out to be all that. I'm feeling the same way about BY.
That was not how I remember it.

I was a Mario Williams man.
Draft boards were divided between Bush, VY, and Williams.

I would limit the number of boards and not include every Joe's and Jane's out there.

Only boards that are more reputable and those that do as a job, especially paid scouting services.

People still on here talking about waiting until 24. Lol man they’re not waiting on 2024 and most definitely not running it back with Mills.
Finally Coach Ryans didn’t take this job to tank.
Absolutely waiting until 2024 is no longer an option because the tankers, Lovie & Culley, have departed: the savior has arrived
and he is here to take us to the promised land which though not quite on our horizon just yet surely doesn't include a tank job along that journey with this head coach.

They really need to have their system/identity in place. I hate the idea of a new QB trying to learn a system everybody else is trying to learn

They really need to have their system/identity in place. I hate the idea of a new QB trying to learn a system everybody else is trying to learn
This is why I'm perfectly fine with going with Mills in 2023 or bringing in a FA QB on a short-term deal to bridge the gap. I am 99.9% against starting a rookie QB. If he clearly earns the starting job in TC, then ok. If not, let him sit until he does earn it.
Honestly, drafting a QB is a total crapshoot. Whether you like the 2024 class better than the 2023 class is also a crapshoot.

I think you're also correct because if Ryans implements the WCO, as per his stated intentions, we don't have the right personnel to run it: no dynamic fast-twitch/dynamic WRs who can make plays or RAC; no big play/seam running TE; no dynamic or proven pass catching back. IOL still crappy. Might be a couple of years to get the right pieces for this system, pending what is done in free agency. I don't expect an easy go of it for a lottery QB right away if one is taken.

I think you're also correct because if Ryans implements the WCO, as per his stated intentions, we don't have the right personnel to run it: no dynamic fast-twitch/dynamic WRs who can make plays or RAC; no big play/seam running TE; no dynamic or proven pass catching back. IOL still crappy. Might be a couple of years to get the right pieces for this system, pending what is done in free agency. I don't expect an easy go of it for a lottery QB right away if one is taken.
It would be fantastic if DeMeco recognizes that we need to give our new #1 QB all the help to succeed and make the decision to address the defense in the '24 draft.

I have not looked close enough to have a long list of QBs, but here are a few that come to mind…

Baker Mayfield: With the Panthers releasing Baker Mayfield, it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea for the Texans to sign him to a team friendly deal.

Gardner Minshew: His $2,540,000 salary isn’t bad at all and the guy has shown to be a competent QB. He may not be franchise material but I think he could be better than prime Schaub, and that would be a very good thing. Would the Eagles accept a 5th and a 6th rd pick?

Jimmy G: I know some posters here want absolutely nothing to do with Jimmy G, but I honestly feel that he’s a way better QB than Trey Lance will ever be. Jimmy G (barring injury) would have more than likely won those close games for us this season. Not saying Jimmy G would get us to the promise land, but he’s be a good mentor for our future franchise QB to sit behind and learn.

Jacoby Brissett: The Browns will more than likely not be able to keep him due to Derapist’s ridiculous contract, so he’ll probably hit the free agent market once this season ends. While not my first choice, he’s a somewhat capable QB.

What say you?
New revelation: Hendon Hooker

QB might be the team's top need but shouldn't be the top priority, if that makes sense. I'd hope that there's a three year plan and the long term solution at qb comes after building the trenches and getting the defense where DeMeco wants it. You can get quite a ways with that alone. I think this strategy makes even more sense in a year that there isn't an elite qb in the draft.

Take a flyer on someone in the 5th round on someone you think might surprise people. Maybe you get lucky and find a gem. Prime Payton or Brady ain't going to win with this team until a lot of other things get fixed.
I don't mind this plan at all. Maybe even jump at the back of Round 1 or take in 2nd round if Richardson or Levis fall. Because of the lack of consensus top QB, with the top 2 QBs both having question marks, on top of the team being early in the turnaround, legit developmental QB not a bad idea this year.

Risky play for Caserio if he plays the waiting/trade-up game and misses on all the top guys. It will take courage to stick with a draft plan that involves building the roster and foregoing a QB early. I will respect Caserio if he can resist the media/fanbase pressure and pursue that route.

That was not how I remember it.

I was a Mario Williams man.
Draft boards were divided between Bush, VY, and Williams.

I would limit the number of boards and not include every Joe's and Jane's out there.

Only boards that are more reputable and those that do as a job, especially paid scouting services.
You may have been a Mario man, but most of the talking heads out there in the media just knew that Bush was the only real choice. There were many on the message boards that wanted Bush too, but there were also a lot of undecideds. It's almost the same thing now. Most of the talking heads in the media think Young is the only real choice, and there are many here that agree. I didn't want Bush then, and I don't want Young now.

How's this for adding dynamic playmakers?

Hyatt High 4.2 to low 4.3 40 yd dash
Musgrave 4.55 40 or Washington
Achane 4.2 40 if not Achane Tahje Spears is a very dynamic well rounded RB. But he does have some injury concerns.

And sign Bradbury in FA, he was the center when Klint Kubiak was the Vikes OC and Jerrod Johnson is also coming over from the Vikes so they're very familiar with Bradbury. Another low cost former 49er OG Daniel Brunskill was a quality player for them last yr.

It would be fantastic if DeMeco recognizes that we need to give our new #1 QB all the help to succeed and make the decision to address the defense in the '24 draft.

I'm on board with this.

Use FA to make the defense better this yr. If you're drafting to the strength of the draft if Van Ness falls to 2-32 you've got to consider drafting him.

Draft Van Ness and if the stats Lee Big put up are rea for Zach Allen the DL will be strong enough to not set NFL rushing records against them.

Last edited:
Absolutely waiting until 2024 is no longer an option because the tankers, Lovie & Culley, have departed: the savior has arrived
and he is here to take us to the promised land which though not quite on our horizon just yet surely doesn't include a tank job along that journey with this head coach.

Is building the team up in the 2023 draft and then drafting a QB in 2024 tanking?

How's this for adding dynamic playmakers?

Hyatt High 4.2 to low 4.3 40 yd dash
Musgrave 4.55 40 or Washington
Achane 4.2 40 if not Achane Tahje Spears is a very dynamic well rounded RB. But he does have some injury concerns.

And sign Bradbury in FA, he was the center when Klint Kubiak was the Vikes OC and Jerrod Johnson is also coming over from the Vikes so they're very familiar with Bradbury. Another low cost former 49er OG Daniel Brunskill was a quality player for them last yr.
I haven't gotten too much in the weeds yet with all of the non-QB or outside of the Top 12 draft choices yet. Waiting until after the combine to start putting the pieces together, pending time.

It would be fantastic if DeMeco recognizes that we need to address the defense, and make the decision to give our new #1 QB in the '24 draft all the help to succeed.
FIFY....I rearranged your post to work better...lol. Other than moving text around, I only added commas and periods.

FIFY....I rearranged your post to work better...lol. Other than moving text around, I only added commas and periods.
I wouldn't be disappointed with this scenario. I just think the team is leaning qb. The exception would be if a really good trade offer were made. A "what if" scenario. If we can get 3 or 4 additional top ten picks in '23 and '24, I think the decision to jump all over it will have been made going into the draft.

I'm wondering which side of the 40 year wait in the wilderness we are on before entering the land of honey? BTW I just bought a jar of honey for $17. YIKES! I almost put it back on shelf but like the commercial said, I am worth it.

This is why I'm perfectly fine with going with Mills in 2023 or bringing in a FA QB on a short-term deal to bridge the gap. I am 99.9% against starting a rookie QB. If he clearly earns the starting job in TC, then ok. If not, let him sit until he does earn it.
Honestly, drafting a QB is a total crapshoot. Whether you like the 2024 class better than the 2023 class is also a crapshoot.
Davis Mills will be learning the new offense along with the rest..

Back