Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

badboy

Hall of Fame
33% completion over 20yrds. A interesting stat, for Bryce Young. Issues with identifying the correct WR in coverage, another issue. Not making the correct decision on multiple post snap reads.

Been watching some film and it is really interesting at things that are being over looked due to amazing numbers. However, you have to look at all the numbers and the ability to do things like read a D pre and post snap.
He might not be identifying correct WR but Young certainly gets one of his receivers. You are going to have to provide more than just your opinion on his pre and post snap reads. I think your wrong and it is a strength.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
His next move should be a college HC. Not an NFL offense.
I really see him like another Jimmy G. Another poster compared him to Andy Dalton. I think he's got the clutch gene and you cant coach that. He's this yrs Purdy. Fast with a great will to win and Underrated accuracy. Where you draft that I'm Im not sure, but give me this over Young at 1-1.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
He might not be identifying correct WR but Young certainly gets one of his receivers. You are going to have to provide more than just your opinion on his pre and post snap reads. I think your wrong and it is a strength.

It actually according to 5 different scouting reports. I didn't make it up, rather I just posted what scout's are seeing. Here is a link to 1 video, maybe not the best guy to grade. But, you will locate other videos like it. Also, rumor is that the Texans like CJ with the 1st pick. Still a good analysis seeing in the video he shows clips of him doing what I brought up and other things. Kid has talent, yet I feel it will no be easy for him in the NFL. Plus, listed at 6' (5' 10 or 11 max) and 194lbs...more like 180 if he ate a big meal before he was on the scale. In other words his durability is going to scare some away. I would take a slightly bigger QB. CJ and Young are basically 1a and 1b at QB. Levis, who I like, is rated by most as a mid 1st early 2nd round pick. I can only say I think CJ is a better pick and will be a better QB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
It actually according to 5 different scouting reports. I didn't make it up, rather I just posted what scout's are seeing. Here is a link to 1 video, maybe not the best guy to grade. But, you will locate other videos like it. Also, rumor is that the Texans like CJ with the 1st pick. Still a good analysis seeing in the video he shows clips of him doing what I brought up and other things. Kid has talent, yet I feel it will no be easy for him in the NFL. Plus, listed at 6' (5' 10 or 11 max) and 194lbs...more like 180 if he ate a big meal before he was on the scale. In other words his durability is going to scare some away. I would take a slightly bigger QB. CJ and Young are basically 1a and 1b at QB. Levis, who I like, is rated by most as a mid 1st early 2nd round pick. I can only say I think CJ is a better pick and will be a better QB.

I. Wonder what a Bryce Young - John Metchie III reunion would look like

Last edited:

Mangler

Toro de España
Although I hope Caserio’s passes on Bryce Young, I’ll still root for the kid in hopes of him being the answer.

Also, I’m warming up to the idea of signing Derek Carr (only if we can get him cheap though) allowing whoever the rook is to sit back and learn until the inevitable happens. Me and a couple of friends were talking about this earlier during our lunch meet up.

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
Although I hope Caserio’s passes on Bryce Young, I’ll still root for the kid in hopes of him being the answer.

Also, I’m warming up to the idea of signing Derek Carr (only if we can get him cheap though) allowing whoever the rook is to sit back and learn until the inevitable happens. Me and a couple of friends were talking about this earlier during our lunch meet up.
No way in hell Carr is interested in being a placeholder. Zero chance of that. If he signs, he is the man.

badboy

Hall of Fame

We agree on Youngs size being an issue. Now to video.. I had seen it but it is talking about 2021 season which can be discussed as can every other player 2021 and if those players improve or maintain or regress.

2 plays out of 547 attempts? 2 INTs of 7?
Video does not show the Entire field of those plays. IIRC and I may not, those INTs were on Young. What about the other 5? 47 Touchdowns to only 7 INTs is remarkable! Not sure if the formula still holds but in college a good ratio was 3 to 1 and this is approximately 7 to 1. What were the results of those 7 Interceptions? Were the 5 on Young or..?

Has Young improved on his weaknesses after another season? 🤔 IMO he has at least maintained. Stats a bit less with a much inferior Oline and WR crew and Young missed 1 1/2 games playing hurt after significant shoulder injury.

Can you find a video supporting your position after this season?

I agree that Stroud/Young are two best with Levis a bit down list but could be chosen top 10.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Would Carr or other similar QB want a top 3 draft guy sitting, eager to replace him?

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Interesting read, even if it doesn't happen. I didn't consider the ties to Houston, which is really why it is at the moment just a rumor but one that as the article states could be worked out.

It is an interesting read.
Carr would definitely be an upgrade at QB but it needs to happen before the draft for the obvious #1 reason but also to get the right system figured out for his success and to bring in pieces that would fit the scheme
Would Carr or other similar QB want a top 3 draft guy sitting, eager to replace him?
Agree. If you take a draftee that high, he should be starting.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
If Gannon is the next HC and he brings Reich I think the possibility of bringing Gardner Minshew increases if they don’t draft a QB this year.

Gannon and Minshew are on the same team and Reich studied Minshew for two seasons ( I think). So they both are familiar with him.

That is of course if they don’t draft a QB and Gannon brings Reich in too.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
Time to go out on a limb here, and I'm probably the only one out on it, but I'd be kind of down to bringing Daniel Jones in. This would have to be accompanied by the interior of the O-line being improved, but I think Jones has been hurt by surrounding talent and scheme in NY(G).

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Time to go out on a limb here, and I'm probably the only one out on it, but I'd be kind of down to bringing Daniel Jones in. This would have to be accompanied by the interior of the O-line being improved, but I think Jones has been hurt by surrounding talent and scheme in NY(G).
I know he showed some flashes in NY. But, would he fit into the offense they will run? Is he good enough to not take a QB? And if he is good how good is he? In other words IF Jones came in, would it only be a season maybe 2 before we HAVE to get a QB. If so, we may not have a great pick to get a top guy. Meaning we would have to gamble on a middle 1st round or 2nd round QB. Now, yes you could draft a QB, bring in Jones and already have Mills. Then let Mills and Jones battle for QB1 and backup. Allow the rookie to take his time and learn the system, fix any issues and start in a year. If somehow Jones, Mills and a rookie (now 2nd year player) all look great.. You have some trade bait. If not you hope the 2nd year QB is great. In football it's all a gamble so it could work.

Mangler

Toro de España
If Gannon is the next HC and he brings Reich I think the possibility of bringing Gardner Minshew increases if they don’t draft a QB this year.

Gannon and Minshew are on the same team and Reich studied Minshew for two seasons ( I think). So they both are familiar with him.

That is of course if they don’t draft a QB and Gannon brings Reich in too.
I wouldn’t mind Nick signing Minshew if Gannon ends up being the new HC. Especially if Nick signs a good OC and steals the QB coach that has Jalen Hurts playing the way he has this season! The future would sure look bright!

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
Undecided on if he fixed his flaws. And his height and weight are still a huge problem for me. Maybe after looking at more film I can say yes or no. The rumor is still that the team likes CJ.

I do see his numbers dropped off from last year to this year. Still solid, but not as good.

CJ has a higher QBR for what it's worth

Last edited:

Mangler

Toro de España
Undecided on if he fixed his flaws. And his height and weight are still a huge problem for me. Maybe after looking at more film I can say yes or no. The rumor is still that the team likes CJ.
I think drafting Bryce Young will end up being a disaster. There’s no way that little frame of his will hold up to the punishment them big 6’5” 280+lbs Defensive Ends and Line Backers are going to dish out. Either draft CJ or just pass on a QB in the first round.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think drafting Bryce Young will end up being a disaster. There’s no way that little frame of his will hold up to the punishment them big 6’5” 280+lbs Defensive Ends and Line Backers are going to dish out. Either draft CJ or just pass on a QB in the first round.
Hey he survived his entire collegiate career against players that are now in the pros and the ones that will be going to the pros.

Mangler

Toro de España
Dude we know that but let’s not act like he’s playing against midgets.
Don’t get me wrong, I like the kid but I just don’t see a 6ft, 195 pounder lasting long in the league. If he can bulk up to a Russell Wilson-ish size, I’m game. Like I said before, I’ll still root for the kid if Nick drafts him in hopes of him being the answer.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG

I don't know. Kid has some good tools but size and lack of tools outweigh his upside. As for Carr, that's what I don't know about. He is a good QB, but if he stops us from CJ Stroud or Levis. Then wets the bed...we don't have the draft capital to snag a top QB after next year. I think he would get us 5 to 8 wins. Maybe a few more, but likely 5 to 8 absolute max.

mussop

Hall of Fame

I do see his numbers dropped off from last year to this year. Still solid, but not as good.

CJ has a higher QBR for what it's worth
That’s what they should be saying!

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
So Bryce Young's viability as an NFL QB will come down to one singular event, height, and weight at the combine (yes, yes, it's a bit of hyperbole; forgive me.) But my favorite Young "stat" this year is this;

"Every time he touched the ball with Alabama trailing in the 4th quarter this season, he led a scoring drive to tie or take the lead. Bryce Young never left the field once in the 4th quarter or OT with Alabam down."

Will it translate directly to the NFL? Who knows, but I think it does speak to some of the mental qualities and the intangibles.

Wow...

Bears general manager Ryan Poles did not rule out taking a quarterback with the first overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Poles named Justin Fields the team's 2023 starter before saying he would take a quarterback in the draft if he were "absolutely blown away" by the prospect. It would be stunning if the Bears moved on from Fields after he flashed great potential in a horrid Chicago offense this season, nearly setting the NFL record for quarterback rushing yardage. Poles said Fields -- who was 28th in completion rate over expected in 2022 -- "has to get better as a passer." The Bears would do well to use their massive draft capital to upgrade Fields' pass-catching group or his porous offensive line.

Now of course, the GM is going to say that to maximize the amount of leverage he may get from trading down from the pick. But then again, has Fields done enough where you can conclusive say that the Bears are bluffing here? I still think they are angling for a trade, but you never know.

Last edited:
So Bryce Young's viability as an NFL QB will come down to one singular event, height, and weight at the combine (yes, yes, it's a bit of hyperbole; forgive me.) But my favorite Young "stat" this year is this;

"Every time he touched the ball with Alabama trailing in the 4th quarter this season, he led a scoring drive to tie or take the lead. Bryce Young never left the field once in the 4th quarter or OT with Alabam down."

Will it translate directly to the NFL? Who knows, but I think it does speak to some of the mental qualities and the intangibles.
Everybody talks about Young's size in terms of his ability to stay injury-free and on the field. Yes, that is a big component of the 'size' issue, but not the only one. Personally, I think Young's arm strength and ability to throw is condensed pocket is also part of it, and that plays to his size. Can he throw with enough zip on the run when he's flushed out of the pocket? can he throw effectively in a condensed pocket? His size and arm are fine in a clean pocket, but things will get a whole lot tighter in the NFL.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
Wow...

Bears general manager Ryan Poles did not rule out taking a quarterback with the first overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Poles named Justin Fields the team's 2023 starter before saying he would take a quarterback in the draft if he were "absolutely blown away" by the prospect. It would be stunning if the Bears moved on from Fields after he flashed great potential in a horrid Chicago offense this season, nearly setting the NFL record for quarterback rushing yardage. Poles said Fields -- who was 28th in completion rate over expected in 2022 -- "has to get better as a passer." The Bears would do well to use their massive draft capital to upgrade Fields' pass-catching group or his porous offensive line.

Now of course, the GM is going to say that to maximize the amount of leverage he may get from trading down from the pick. But then again, has Fields done enough where you can conclusive say that the Bears are bluffing here? I still think they are angling for a trade, but you never know.
Kliff did it better when he said, "Josh is our guy." It's GM lying season.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Everybody talks about Young's size in terms of his ability to stay injury-free and on the field. Yes, that is a big component of the 'size' issue, but not the only one. Personally, I think Young's arm strength and ability to throw is condensed pocket is also part of it, and that plays to his size. Can he throw with enough zip on the run when he's flushed out of the pocket? can he throw effectively in a condensed pocket? His size and arm are fine in a clean pocket, but things will get a whole lot tighter in the NFL.
What makes him different than Flutie?

What makes him different than Flutie?
Common man, gotta remain objective. Bryce Young is a much better prospect tan Doug Flutie. He doesn't have a big arm (probably NFL avg. or slightly better) but it's much better than Flutie's arm ever was. Flutie's arm was never good enough to be a LT NFL starter. Yound is actually probably a little bigger than Flutie also.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Common man, gotta remain objective. Bryce Young is a much better prospect tan Doug Flutie. He doesn't have a big arm (probably NFL avg. or slightly better) but it's much better than Flutie's arm ever was. Flutie's arm was never good enough to be a LT NFL starter. Yound is actually probably a little bigger than Flutie also.
Flutie's arm was actually stronger than Young's is.

Go back and look at the old hail Mary Fultie threw against the Hurricanes. He threw that ball 75 yds. I don't think You g could do that and for the time Flutie played his numbers are comparable to Young's. Also Flutie was more mobile than Young.

BTW, Flutie wasn't a bad QB and I don't think You g will be either. Just not championship quality.

Flutie's arm was actually stronger than Young's is.

Go back and look at the old hail Mary Fultie threw against the Hurricanes. He threw that ball 75 yds. I don't think You g could do that and for the time Flutie played his numbers are comparable to Young's. Also Flutie was more mobile than Young.

BTW, Flutie wasn't a bad QB and I don't think You g will be either. Just not championship quality.
Whoaaaa. Flutie's arm was STRONGER than Bryce Young's? you sure about that SB? For the record, the throw - which Flutie could step into completely - was 64 yards (thrown from the 37 YL and caught 1 yard into the EZ)

And Flutie was more mobile than Young? Certainly Flutie was amazingly mobile. I just don't know about more mobile - that's quite the claim.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Whoaaaa. Flutie's arm was STRONGER than Bryce Young's? you sure about that SB? For the record, the throw - which Flutie could step into completely - was 64 yards (thrown from the 37 YL and caught 1 yard into the EZ)

I was Going off of memory

I'm not saying Young has a weak arm by any means.

Last edited: