Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

Some good context about how bad the roster is/was this year, and how bringing in a Brisette or Mishew or whoever would have made minimal difference this year... Look where the Texans stack up in non-QB WAR this year. Of note, look where the NYG are in comparison with the Texans, which is a good chunk coaching and also Daniel Jones performing better than Mills. Daboll really did magic over there with that roster this year.

I hope we can do a similar turnaround next year with the right coaching staff, which is not getting the most out of the roster.

Last edited:
Watching some Bryce Young highlights tonight. Reminds me a LOT of Kyler Murray in college, except build is a little skinnier. Good accuracy, pocket presence and enough arm. IMO, the problem here is projectability because Young is going to have much smaller pocket to work with in the NFL. In college, Murray/Young look great because they have a 3-5 yard bubble around them on most plays, protected by a Tier-1A offensive line. In the NFL, the pocket become condensed and they'll be more tipped balls and narrow sightlines for someone with a small frame. Going to be injury risk also.

So I donno. Would you guys take Kyler Murray #1 overall if you had a chance? I don't see much separation between these two as college prospects, projectability is probably pretty similar IMO.

Exactly what I am seeing for the most part. I would rather have CJ Stroud and I have a feeling you can move down to the 5th pick or so and still get him. With CJ, I am seeing a taller QB, great arm, ball placement is spot on, he can move in the pocket well, his IQ looks very high and he is 215 or 220lbs right now. Likely can be 230s and remain just as mobile as well as more durable.

Exactly what I am seeing for the most part. I would rather have CJ Stroud and I have a feeling you can move down to the 5th pick or so and still get him. With CJ, I am seeing a taller QB, great arm, ball placement is spot on, he can move in the pocket well, his IQ looks very high and he is 215 or 220lbs right now. Likely can be 230s and remain just as mobile as well as more durable.
Did you see the PFF video on Stroud though? Ranked #133 in FBS in throwing under pressure, with a 46% adjusted completion percentage. But he's like 3rd in the nation when throwing under a clean pocket. This is highly concerning since Stroud is not an ad lib player who makes a lot of plays out of structure. This is the same issue we have with Mills - lots of arm talent and makes plays with a clean pocket - not very good out of structure. So Stroud is a hard pass for me.

Respect your opinion though. Someone will take a flier on Stroud. I think he's going to fall - maybe to the back half of the 1st round.

I'm not really a fan of Bryce Young for a couple of different reasons. But if the Texans are going to get a QB, IMO, it makes sense they get a QB who can make plays out of structure because this is the big issue with Mills. If you're going to just get a pure pocket QB, just stick with what you have and get competitions for Mills. Lots of good examples of good QB play with Mills when the pocket has been clean this year, like the game winning drive last week. If the team wants a different type of QB who can make plays out of the pocket, then get a new OC and make the change.

Last edited:
I'm not really a fan of Bryce Young for a couple of different reasons. But if the Texans are going to get a QB, IMO, it makes sense they get a QB who can make plays out of structure because this is the big issue with Mills. If you're going to just get a pure pocket QB, just stick with what you have and get competitions for Mills. Lots of good examples of good QB play with Mills when the pocket has been clean this year, like the game winning drive last week. If the team wants a different type of QB who can make plays out of the pocket, then get a new OC and make the change.

I think Mills could be pretty good, not game changing, but good enough to win say 10 games. The only problem IMO is the right OL ( still not there in Houston) needs to be set and a good QB coach and OC.

I’ve been on board with the Texans drafting Stroud. He’s better than what some people on here think he is.

I think Mills could be pretty good, not game changing, but good enough to win say 10 games. The only problem IMO is the right OL ( still not there in Houston) needs to be set and a good QB coach and OC.
The oline was pretty darn solid in the beginning. Mills just wasn’t hitting his target. Wildly inconsistent. Don’t know why you guys won’t bring up that known fact.

Several of us discussed this at the time. Mills had a thumb injury on his throwing hand, and this fact, and the impact it may have had on his throwing, is largely overlooked or ignored.
This sounds right to me. I don't think Mills downfield accuracy is in any doubt at all. He proved it last year, and the accuracy appears to be an early season aberration that has cleared itself up. I also think Mills was trying to be too fine early as well, because the receiving core is devoid of talent and doesn't separate very well or have large catch radius.

Anyway, I have zero issue with mills accuracy and arm talent. Pretty clear it's there. To me, it's whether he's good enough to process and make plays out of structure to be a legit starter. And he hasn't answered this question. So given the way everything has transpired, pretty sure Caserio is drafting a lottery QB so this question is moot. The good news: Texans will have one of the better backup QB in football, comparable to a guy like Minshew. He'll eventually get a chance to start somewhere else once his contract runs out, assuming he doesn't improve more and beat out the new QBs that are brought in.

Last edited:
Agreed and I think it is more of an older fan mentality, looks like the modern approach to coaching is less on form tackling and more on "stand them up and try and strip the ball". Seems teams are willing to sacrifice yards for turnovers.
It's not an old school philosophy. It's what winning football teams do.

I get the trying to hold up and strip to create turnovers. But at some point you've gotta get the guy with the ball on the ground.

Agreed and I think it is more of an older fan mentality, looks like the modern approach to coaching is less on form tackling and more on "stand them up and try and strip the ball". Seems teams are willing to sacrifice yards for turnovers.
Agreed and add in the fact that the rules have changed tremendously.

Lots to unpack in this post and I agree with most. We must improve O'line Davis or no, but I think we will see it handled differently as OC only position we will draft for IMO. I will be surprised if Tytus Howard not playing at OG in 2023 if Charlie Heck continues to improve and AJ Cann will be in final year. His cap savings of $3.25 million probably not needed to sign a FA? Howard/ Heck at RT until Cann goes out injured then musical chairs begin again. *If trades occur that I desire then this could change as O'Cyrus Torrence at top part of round two would be on my board.
"Offensive line spotlight: The three highest-graded offensive linemen in this game came from the Texans: Laremy Tunsil, Charlie Heck and A.J. Cann. All three recorded an overall blocking grade above 67.0. None of them allowed a sack on the day." https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-16-game-recap-houston-texans-19-tennessee-titans-14

Median time for concussion recovery of 9 days could see Howard return Sunday.

Stroud carries great burden with Mulughetta and has nowhere near skill set as Young whose only disadvantage is height which doesn't need to be debated again.. we all know. Young is tremendous in or out of pocket not so much with Stroud.

I disagree on Mills operating well from clean pocket as he frequently wastes passes above, below, behind or out of reach of his target. People that I watch games with root for him successfully throwing ball away without grounding or sacks. If I am going to 'risk' on QB with a new staff, I would rather risk on Hendon Hooker in round three while "building around".

What does this mean? I mean, what were the expectations going into the season? There were really a lot who were saying 4 wins. We have two games remaining. The Jags being the toughest we play at home. We have a good shot at winning out, giving us 4 wins and a tie. If we pull this off, did we meet expectations? And if we meet expectations, did the coaching staff get the job done? Just playing devils advocate.

I mentioned before the season that I would be satisfied if the team didn’t win any games but were competitive.

For the most part, they’ve been far more competitive than expected against some pretty tough opponents. They could wind up with the #1 pick which would be nice or they could be in the top 5….which could be just fine based on how the draft falls.

Several of us discussed this at the time. Mills had a thumb injury on his throwing hand, and this fact, and the impact it may have had on his throwing, is largely overlooked or ignored.

A true fact. Along with the fact that Cooks all but checked out this season. And the rest of the WRs were Nico and a TE by an large. Meanwhile, last year he had Nico, Cooks, Moore, Brown and Akins. Not to mention RBs. Basically, he actually had people to throw to.

I’m tanking for Maye in 24. Build the trenches in 23. Looks really good tonight against Oregon…

I have mixed feelings about Maye. He looks good, but I have also seen him not look good. Really, the next 2 draft classes are filled with talent. Problem is I don't think any of them are top pick worthy. They will be selected 1st only to avoid any other teams from selecting them. I don’t know what happened to QBs like Lawrence who had the "it" factor that you knew that if coached well could be really good or great. Could be possible to not see those high level, sure thing QBs until 2026...if Manning develops as expected. Even then, it is a long wait. Don't get me wrong, any of the guys coming out could be stars. Just none of them are really impressive to me. I would take a flyer on Maye, Stroud or Levis. Then, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

I will admit that I like the things I have seen from Levis. Good running abilities, good arm, good size and football IQ.

Last edited:
Just curious, if Ohio St quarterbacks are scrutinized due to lack of NFL success, when is the last time a Mack Brown or Lincoln Riley QB sustained success in the NFL?

I hear David Carr will be available next season. :lol:

David, no but after Derek getting benched, anyone interested in kicking the tires if he becomes available? Can't say he wouldn't be better than Mills at this point. And IF, hear me out, would play on a 1 year prove it deal. Maybe, just thinking maybe, Mills could be coached up and actually be able to do consistently what we have seen flashes of. Allowing us to concentrate on the other areas we have issues with.

David, no but after Derek getting benched, anyone interested in kicking the tires if he becomes available? Can't say he wouldn't be better than Mills at this point. And IF, hear me out, would play on a 1 year prove it deal. Maybe, just thinking maybe, Mills could be coached up and actually be able to do consistently what we have seen flashes of. Allowing us to concentrate on the other areas we have issues with.
No to both. Derek Carr won't be taking any 1 year prove it deals if/when he gets released after the SB. Plus, with all the teams that need a QB and better rosters, it's safe to assume the Texans won't be on his list. And IMO, Mills isn't going to get any more coaching up with this staff.

OMG. Why are people so stuck on a bad QB and the hope he can maybe get better than bad? What if we try to get someone who isn’t god awful and quit playing this stupid game of hoping a bad QB can be coached up to be at least mediocre?

OMG. Why are people so stuck on a bad QB and the hope he can maybe get better than bad? What if we try to get someone who isn’t god awful and quit playing this stupid game of hoping a bad QB can be coached up to be at least mediocre?

Probably we're scared of who the Texans might draft.

Isn’t there some psychological term for a woman or man that always go for the wrong type of person, or choosing the abusive relationship hoping they can change the other person? Or that they have become so accustomed to that type of person they don’t try a less abusive relationship?

Because I see some similarities…

Can’t be worse than what’s here now. And if so, who cares? You’ve got to try.

Because they will probably draft a 5' 10 175lb QB who will have his body destroyed in the NFL in 2 years max. Instead of a slightly lower rated (according to some) 6' 2 200+ lb QB with a great arm, good awareness, high football IQ, mobility, accurate and can make plays who tends to stay calm in the face of rushes (Stroud and Levis). And then we will be looking for a new QB in 2yrs...after using a high pick.

Because they will probably draft a 5' 10 175lb QB who will have his body destroyed in the NFL in 2 years max. Instead of a slightly lower rated (according to some) 6' 2 200+ lb QB with a great arm, good awareness, high football IQ, mobility, accurate and can make plays who tends to stay calm in the face of rushes (Stroud and Levis). And then we will be looking for a new QB in 2yrs...after using a high pick.
Ok Nostradamus, what's the winning lottery numbers this Saturday?

How about they draft that 6' 2 200 + lb QB and he breaks his back in the first training camp? Or even worse, just flat out sucks and makes you replace him in 2 years ala Jets and Zach Wilson?

This! People are getting sucked into the end-of-year garbage time trap once again - for both Lovie and Mills.

Both suck like a Hoover. Both need to be replaced pronto. I sure hope Nick is smarter than the crowd here, but I have my doubts.

We could have a shot at Arch Manning at that point! Not a bad strategy.

Well that's a different story that lies with the talent evaluators. That's still no reason not to draft a QB when you need one.

Reactions: JB
Ok Nostradamus, what's the winning lottery numbers this Saturday?

How about they draft that 6' 2 200 + lb QB and he breaks his back in the first training camp? Or even worse, just flat out sucks and makes you replace him in 2 years ala Jets and Zach Wilson?

It could happen. But, many are blind to a QB nobody knew about 1yr ago. There were reasons why they didn't know about him... Go watch the film.

I'm all for getting somebody better in FA. Just not in this draft.

spitballing i.e. not even a rumor article

Nah.
We don't need someone else's bust.
The 33rd pick in this draft is too valuable.
If Texans don't use a first rounder on a QB, the 33rd pick should be used - Hendon Hooker should be on the board.
As a safety valve, take Max Duggan with one of the 6ths - gonna need a camp arm and who knows, he might play himself into a more significant role a la Bailey Zappe and Brock Purdy.

Nah.
We don't need someone else's bust.
The 33rd pick in this draft is too valuable.
If Texans don't use a first rounder on a QB, the 33rd pick should be used - Hendon Hooker should be on the board.
As a safety valve, take Max Duggan with one of the 6ths - gonna need a camp arm and who knows, he might play himself into a more significant role a la Bailey Zappe and Brock Purdy.
Not that I'm on board with a trade for Lance, but a bust? He's played 4 freaking games.

Back