Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Which QB should the Texans consider signing/trading for?

Me too. But no one knows how it will look next year at this time. Will we be saying wait until 2025?

We all know that "can't miss" draft picks are often misses. For now, I think the Texans need to concentrate on beefing up both the oline and dlines. However both those positions the Texans have often drafted poorly with the exception of Watt and Duane Brown.

Maybe we should draft a punter high like Jacksonville. They're almost in the playoffs. Almost.

Couldn’t agree more! My stance remains the same; pass on drafting a QB in the first round.
My stance, as of right now, would be to draft a QB, but a high potential guy like Richardson or Hooker in the 2nd round. Let Mills and FA compete in 2023, replace Lovie/Pep and build on the defense momentum and draft a WR1. Just look at the effect Tyreek Hill and Ja'Marr Chase had on their respective teams/QBs over 2 consecutive seasons - complete turnarounds.

Again though, my fear is that the dumb media narrative and half empty stadium will force a QB pick, which could really end up backfiring on many levels intermediate term. Will be watching the combine especially closely this year.

We all know that "can't miss" draft picks are often misses. For now, I think the Texans need to concentrate on beefing up both the oline and dlines. However both those positions the Texans have often drafted poorly with the exception of Watt and Duane Brown.

Maybe we should draft a punter high like Jacksonville. They're almost in the playoffs. Almost.
I'm on board for Jalen Carter. I watched a video from a guy who made a compelling argument that his closest comp is Cortez Kennedy. Would love to have a disrupter like that in the middle of the line.

Of course, the Texans will probably win out for "pride" and blow their chance of picking him. I remember the Jets pointlessly winning and costing themselves a top pick. Didn't work out so well for them if I recall correctly.

I would feel more positive about drafting a QB high if the coaching situation was different. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Lovie will be fired, so drafting a QB high in this situation would just be a waste (unless that QB was an amazing talent, which I don't see in this draft).

Lovie's offense is built for game management. No point in putting a top of the line processor in a computer running Windows 2000.

I would feel more positive about drafting a QB high if the coaching situation was different. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Lovie will be fired, so drafting a QB high in this situation would just be a waste (unless that QB was an amazing talent, which I don't see in this draft).

Lovie's offense is built for game management. No point in putting a top of the line processor in a computer running Windows 2000.
A pick sitting and learning for a year wouldn't be a bad thing. Worked out ok for Mahomes

Agree that they've got to get a staff in here for the future. Lovie is not the future. Period. End of story. The roster isn't the only thing that needs to be rebuilt. The coaching staff does as well. Screw the optics. The Texans are a team that nobody outside of Houston or connections to Houston, give a flying rat's ass about anyway. Why should optics matter to anyone? Winning 4 or less games 3 seasons in a row aren't bad optics?

This is what gets me with Texans fans. We bleep about not having talent, and then talk about how bad coaching is. So I’m like well of course the coaching will be bad when you don’t have talent. Then we talk about building the trenches up. So will that make coaching better? Hmmm we might as well put those draft picks on ice.
You don’t want them to draft a quarterback because of the coaching. But you want them to draft and coach the players you want. Please make that make sense gentlemen

This is what gets me with Texans fans. We bleep about not having talent, and then talk about how bad coaching is. So I’m like well of course the coaching will be bad when you don’t have talent. Then we talk about building the trenches up. So will that make coaching better? Hmmm we might as well put those draft picks on ice.
You don’t want them to draft a quarterback because of the coaching. But you want them to draft and coach the players you want. Please make that make sense gentlemen

You're under the assumption that most of the horseshit you read here is supposed to make sense. You need to get past that, then you'll be fine.

You're under the assumption that most of the horseshit you read here is supposed to make sense. You need to get past that, then you'll be fine.
True dat! Or that it means anything. Or that anyone associated with the Texans pays any attention. Or that it in any way reflects what the majority of the Texans fanbase thinks outside of general dissatifaction

With the coach we have, it's significantly more likely that a rookie defensive lineman will have success as opposed to a rookie quarterback. The team needs both better talent and better coaching.

If they choose to double down with Lovie, it makes more sense to pick a player with a better chance to shine. If they hire a coach who will run a dynamic offense and adjust it to fit their players' strengths, picking a QB starts making sense.

There isn't a franchise QB in this draft IMHO and if there was I wouldn't want Lovie and company coaching them.

Does that make sense to you?

I'm less concerned about the coaching situation, which will iron itself out in Year 2 if not next year, then I am about the team wasting 3 years chasing the idea to have a franchise QB who turns out to be 'mid'. I don't want to walk into a Kyler Murray situation with Bryce, who looks great with a 5 yard bubble around him most of the time in college. If there's no true franchise QB, I still want to take one, just not #1 since there are more surefire options at positions of great need.

Last edited:
My concern is besides Bryce maybe, no one else sticks out. And even then, Bryce’s height and weight. He’d be coming in and asked to do alot. Or, take Will Anderson or Jalen Carter Number 1, your defensive foundation is there.
That's my thinking as well but when you need a QB you have to get 1 when you have the opportunity. If Caserio thinks any of the QB's can be that guy then he has to take his shot.

How many times has a player left the Texans and significantly improved over what he was doing here? Almost too many to mention. If that doesn't tell you about coaching I don't know what will. Now, that's not saying that all the talent here needs is coaching either. For example, I don't think Mills is a top 20 QB regardless of who's coaching. So there's no doubt they need an influx of talent, but they also need the coaching that knows what to do with that talent. An example of that is that I think Stingley is wasting away as long as he's in Lovie's system. Get someone in here who can coach up and take advantage of his strengths, and we might not be talking about Sauce so much. Well, other than the staying on the field part. That's kinda important.

So this team needs a little, or more likely a lot of both, coaching and talent. I just think that the longer Lovie stays, the longer it's going to take to get out of this mess, regardless of the players they bring in. Sure, better talent might get you a few more wins, but you're still living in mediocreland and then you won't even be getting the high draft picks.

And I'm still not convinced that Caserio is all that great of a talent evaluator. So this all is starting to reek of being the Jags or Lions of the past, for the next decade or more.

I'm less concerned about the coaching situation, which will iron itself one in Year 2 if not next year, then I am about the team wasting 3 years chasing the idea that the have a franchise QB who turns out to be 'mid'. I don't want to walk into a Kyler Murray situation with Bryce, who looks great with a 5 yard bubble around him most of the time in college. If there's no true franchise QB, I still want to take one, just not #1 since there are more surefire options at positions of great need.
Makes sense. But remember what the Texans did in 2022 with “surefire options”

Did you miss the IMHO part of my post?
It’s not a IMHO when you’re steady repeating it. That’s more of an agenda you tend to push when you do not like certain players or you want them to draft who you want. Like I said we don’t know that. At least let them get on a NFL first before making that outlandish claim.

It’s not a IMHO when you’re steady repeating it. That’s more of an agenda you tend to push when you do not like certain players or you want them to draft who you want. Like I said we don’t know that. At least let them get on a NFL first before making that outlandish claim.
So you repeating posts like the post I quoted isn't an agenda, but me thinking there's not a franchise QB in this draft is an agenda? Furthermore I think you've got a midget Young addiction. Disagreement isn't an agenda.

You can't see the double standards around here?

Last edited:
Most everyone here is saying the same thing. Lovie and his group not getting the job done
What does this mean? I mean, what were the expectations going into the season? There were really a lot who were saying 4 wins. We have two games remaining. The Jags being the toughest we play at home. We have a good shot at winning out, giving us 4 wins and a tie. If we pull this off, did we meet expectations? And if we meet expectations, did the coaching staff get the job done? Just playing devils advocate.

What does this mean? I mean, what were the expectations going into the season? There were really a lot who were saying 4 wins. We have two games remaining. The Jags being the toughest we play at home. We have a good shot at winning out, giving us 4 wins and a tie. If we pull this off, did we meet expectations? And if we meet expectations, did the coaching staff get the job done? Just playing devils advocate.
I agree but I think it's more of a lack of confidence in the staff to coach players up and produce an offense that can actually score more than 20 ppg and a defense that can actually stop the run at least middle of the pack. Maybe they can do it with more talent but it hasn't been shown yet. I want to see some creativity on offense and sound tackling at the least on defense.

Agree that they've got to get a staff in here for the future. Lovie is not the future. Period. End of story. The roster isn't the only thing that needs to be rebuilt. The coaching staff does as well. Screw the optics. The Texans are a team that nobody outside of Houston or connections to Houston, give a flying rat's ass about anyway. Why should optics matter to anyone? Winning 4 or less games 3 seasons in a row aren't bad optics?
Optics: Houston running it back with same coaching and philosophy that dropped them from two 4 win seasons to 1.

Optics: Houston terminated two head coaches but the new one seems to be well researched and thought out. This staff is bringing a new approach to team and to game plans.

I don't think the Texans coaches are bad because the players are all bad. I think the coaches are bad because they cannot take the players they have and improve them.

If Hamilton cannot turn Davis Mills into an average QB, how will he turn Young a much more talented player into a Super Bowl QB?

I do not want Smith and Hamilton coaching the guys I want to draft or any other players.

With the coach we have, it's significantly more likely that a rookie defensive lineman will have success as opposed to a rookie quarterback. The team needs both better talent and better coaching.

If they choose to double down with Lovie, it makes more sense to pick a player with a better chance to shine. If they hire a coach who will run a dynamic offense and adjust it to fit their players' strengths, picking a QB starts making sense.
I am concerned that Nick Caserio believes that pep Hamilton can take our 1.1 quarterback and coach him up. My problem is that pep can't coach up what we have.
Mills should be at least as good as last five games in 2021 but he isn't. That is coach.

If they had won the Indy game I think they would've ended up with 4 wins. We as fans wanted the team to be competitive in games during the rebuild, which they have been competitive. So I'm OK with running it back 1 more yr with Lovie, because I want a shot at the top QB's in 2024.

But if Cal decides to move on from Lovie then I'm on board with that too, as long as he gets a young offensive minded HC.

My concern is besides Bryce maybe, no one else sticks out. And even then, Bryce’s height and weight. He’d be coming in and asked to do alot. Or, take Will Anderson or Jalen Carter Number 1, your defensive foundation is there.
Our defensive Foundation should be set with malik Collin's, Jerry Hughes and Okoronkwu. Heck Roy Lopez Nfl stats match Carter's college stats.

Just matter of opinion but Young making offense better will lead team to success more than Carter or Anderson.

Edit I want to clarify on Lopez stats in NFL more difficult so equal Carter's.

Last edited:
I'm less concerned about the coaching situation, which will iron itself out in Year 2 if not next year, then I am about the team wasting 3 years chasing the idea to have a franchise QB who turns out to be 'mid'. I don't want to walk into a Kyler Murray situation with Bryce, who looks great with a 5 yard bubble around him most of the time in college. If there's no true franchise QB, I still want to take one, just not #1 since there are more surefire options at positions of great need.
This year Alabama didn’t provide Young a 5 yard bubble most of the time. It seems you watched 2021 but not 2022?

Our defensive Foundation should be set with malik Collin's, Jerry Hughes and Okoronkwu. Heck Roy Lopez Nfl stats match Carter's college stats.

Just matter of opinion but Young making offense better will lead team to success more than Carter or Anderson.

These guys won’t be on the team by the time the Texans are ready to compete for the playoffs.

These guys won’t be on the team by the time the Texans are ready to compete for the playoffs.
Remind you, you only said "compete for the playoffs". This is a rather low bar. It's possible the team from the AFCS could have an 8-9 record, this year. Against a tough schedule, the Texans had 5 loses of 7 points or less (to date). If we have a good draft and a weak schedule next year, it's possible we could sneak into the playoffs.

? I don't think you read my post Is correctly. Optics 2: The purpose of having a new coaching staff would be so they could do the basics and more.
I thought you were saying that's why the current staff needed to be kept

When do you think they will be ready for the playoffs?

O/Carter/Verse would be very young.
As well as Hinish/Lopez.

So depth will definitely be there if the Texans are competing for the playoffs in 3 yrs. Collins may also still be around.

Back