Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
If McNair wanted a QB, wouldn't he have articulated that earlier than a day before draft day? Why would the Texans have a plan for an OT, but then have the owner come in and tell them that they were going to draft a QB? I'm not one to believe that McNair is all that football smart, but he atleast understands processes. Why would you sit until the last minute to change the entire strategy? That doesn't make any sense.

More likely, LZ just got some bad information from someone who also probably got some bad information.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
If McNair wanted a QB, wouldn't he have articulated that earlier than a day before draft day? Why would the Texans have a plan for an OT, but then have the owner come in and tell them that they were going to draft a QB? I'm not one to believe that McNair is all that football smart, but he atleast understands processes. Why would you sit until the last minute to change the entire strategy? That doesn't make any sense.

More likely, LZ just got some bad information from someone who also probably got some bad information.
Sounds a bit weird to me too.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
That's just it though, it wouldn't be admitting anything was a mistake and frankly after they gave Cleveland a 2 just to take Os I don't think they are all that worried about looking like they made a mistake. They already signed the $72 million dollar "Mother Of All Mistakes" Nobody knows they have a legitimate franchise QB until the player steps up and does it. Under no circumstances was the Watson pick a mistake. It was a legitimate move to fix a screw up and if a QB emerges (no matter who he is) that's never a bad thing.

If Savage took us to an AFC Championship game or a Super Bowl in 2017 he just won the job. Now I could see hesitating a little bit to see if he could duplicate that performance AND stay healthy doing it but having two good QB's is not a problem to be shunned or complain about. It's a windfall that you take advantage of if you can.
Yep and the Pats have been taking advantage of this for yrs.

Agreed about the McNair's not caring about how their org looks. They just care about keeping on cashing those checks and the Watson pick helps with that even if Watson doesn't play a down next yr.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the plan had been to see how the QB's fell and execute a trade with Cleveland to get one if a run started. I don't think the Texans would execute a trade with the tAcks, since they're in our division, especially not a 1st rounder. I also doubt McNair said much more than draft the best QB that you can. Seeing Trubisky and Mahomes go pretty much left that as Watson and voila, Watson is a Texan.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
I see this ending epically bad. Houston is cursed at the QB position.

I see Savage doing extremely well. He will miss a game. For whatever reason DW steps in. Does great too. At that time a QB controversy starts. Worse than the Schaub vs Rosenfels. Worse than the Mario vs VY draft. It will tear this city apart. We will choose one. Whichever one will be wrong. It doesn't matter.

Houston isn't meant to have a QB. We are cursed.

Houston Texans. Waiting for next year since 2002.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I meant 1-3.

Brain fart
Yeah, I liked it better when the first three rounds were all on the same day myself.
I like the thurs/fri primetime hooplah we get, but I also miss the Sat morning thru Sunday evening affair we used to get. Great buddy of mine have made a 10 yr running tradition of draft weekend. Have had great times both ways.

Wouldn't hate the idea of a minor mix of the two programs, maybe rounds one/two Fri night, 3/4 Sat afternoon/evening, and 5-7 to finish starting Sunday morning. Idk, hard to make everyone happy.

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I like the thurs/fri primetime hooplah we get, but I also miss the Sat morning thru Sunday evening affair we used to get. Great buddy of mine have made a 10 yr running tradition of draft weekend. Have had great times both ways.

Wouldn't hate the idea of a minor mix of the two programs, maybe rounds one/two Fri night, 3/4 Sat afternoon/evening, and 5-7 to finish starting Sunday morning. Idk, hard to make everyone happy.
Hey, that wouldn't be a bad compromise.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
The plan obviously wasn't successful.

When the man in charge fails at accomplishing the main goal of this draft for the franchise then he should be held accountable. Who is in charge of hiring the guy who is supposed to be doing the sniffing around, if that's not Ricky?

That guy should definitely be fired tomorrow. (Except Ricky got Watson who he wanted all along)
You might be one of the only guys I know who thinks missing out on a system QB from Lubbock but landing the guy who went to 2 national title games is a fail.

You make it sound like Smith knew KC was going to trade up to 10 to take Mahomes so he purposely traded to 12 so that only Watson was available.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
You might be one of the only guys I know who thinks missing out on a system QB from Lubbock but landing the guy who went to 2 national title games is a fail.

You make it sound like Smith knew KC was going to trade up to 10 to take Mahomes so he purposely traded to 12 so that only Watson was available.

Watson is definitely the more accomplished player in terms of results in college .... But there are many who believe Mahomes to be the better QB prospect. That gimmicky offense he runs is very complex , lots of alternate routes and he read both sides of the field .... Watson & Clemson ran predetermined routes and generally only 1 read or one side with multiple receivers to read. Both were responsible for protection adjustments at the line ..... Trubisky on the other hand got spoon fed from the sidelines.

There are quite a few of us here who preferred Mahomes ....

I had no clue KC would make such a big jump to go get him when they have a competent QB already and with a few roster tweaks are in the discussion as a contender.
What I gather from that move is they are planning for life after Smith .... Rather than be the Browns for a decade still searching or the Texans 4 years later.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I see this ending epically bad. Houston is cursed at the QB position.

I see Savage doing extremely well. He will miss a game. For whatever reason DW steps in. Does great too. At that time a QB controversy starts. Worse than the Schaub vs Rosenfels. Worse than the Mario vs VY draft. It will tear this city apart. We will choose one. Whichever one will be wrong. It doesn't matter.

Houston isn't meant to have a QB. We are cursed.

Houston fans. Waiting for next year since 1963.
FIFY

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Nope I liked Mahomes better than any QB in this draft, but said I wouldn't trade past the Ravens for him.

If you really like a QB you have to be pro active to make sure you get him. I'm sure Buffalo talked to K.C. and the Texans. Ricky wasn't willing to give up a 3rd in addition to next yrs 1st to get Mahomes.

BOB supposedly wanted (It sure looked like this is true in the warroom.) Mahomes and Ricky wasn't willing to give up what it took to get the deal done. This supposedly happened with Jimmy G too, so this is probably another case of history repeating itself. Kinda like giving up a lot of draft capital to get a young QB then not drafting Ol that he needs to protect him. More history repeating itself and the good thing is there's no denying/saying I don't believe those sources. It's out there for even the thirstiest Kool Aid drinkers to see.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Watson is definitely the more accomplished player in terms of results in college .... But there are many who believe Mahomes to be the better QB prospect. That gimmicky offense he runs is very complex , lots of alternate routes and he read both sides of the field .... Watson & Clemson ran predetermined routes and generally only 1 read or one side with multiple receivers to read. Both were responsible for protection adjustments at the line ..... Trubisky on the other hand got spoon fed from the sidelines.

I had no clue KC would make such a big jump to go get him when they have a competent QB already and with a few roster tweaks are in the discussion as a contender.
What I gather from that move is they are planning for life after Smith .... Rather than be the Browns for a decade still searching or the Texans 4 years later.
Andy Reid is said to be a QB whisperer. He seems to be more in agreement with us than with Sandman. I trust my evals and Reid's as well as yours.

The reason I've wanted Jimmy G since 2014.

sandman

Brexit Advisor

My statement was not so much about whether Mahomes was a good pro QB prospect, but more around the mindset that "settling" for Watson was some kind of fail on the part of the Texans.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Nope I liked Mahomes better than any QB in this draft, but said I wouldn't trade past the Ravens for him.

If you really like a QB you have to be pro active to make sure you get him. I'm sure Buffalo talked to K.C. and the Texans. Ricky wasn't willing to give up a 3rd in addition to next yrs 1st to get Mahomes.

BOB supposedly wanted (It sure looked like this is true in the warroom.) Mahomes and Ricky wasn't willing to give up what it took to get the deal done. This supposedly happened with Jimmy G too, so this is probably another case of history repeating itself. Kinda like giving up a lot of draft capital to get a young QB then not drafting Ol that he needs to protect him. More history repeating itself and the good thing is there's no denying/saying I don't believe those sources. It's out there for even the thirstiest Kool Aid drinkers to see.
So go to 10 and draft Mahomes. Go to 12 and draft Watson. They still would not have drafted the OL to protect either one. Would you still criticize Smith for that even if he would have drafted Mahomes?

michaelm

vox nihili

LZ said something changed the day of the draft.
Maybe Cleveland was going to stand pat at 12 and take Mahomes if he was there, so they weren't going to pull the trigger trading the pick to the Texans
Once he was off the board, they decided to trade down.
Pure speculation of course but might be a reasonable scenario

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'd be curious to know how similar Clemson's 1 side read progressions are to ours. One of the videos I watched that got me excited about Bill O'Brien when I heard we hired him was this one. He explains the route read concept they used in New England & Penn State. I assumed it would be used in Houston as well.

Based on what the QB saw, he would start his read one place or another. Here, O'b gives an example of a route read where it's basically on one side of the field, then work it's way to the other.

If Watson was asked to read the defense to determine which side of the field he would read, it's a very similar concept. All we'd be asking him to do is adding the "work your way" to this side of what O'b is teaching here. (start at 2:10)

If "this" read "left side"
If "that" read "right side"

"then" work to middle.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club

You liked Mahomes, but wouldn't trade past the Ravens (16) to get him. Ricky McNair wouldn't trade past the Browns (12) to get him... & Rick's the a-hole?

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
So go to 10 and draft Mahomes. Go to 12 and draft Watson. They still would not have drafted the OL to protect either one. Would you still criticize Smith for that even if he would have drafted Mahomes?
Yes.

Why is that even in doubt? Even had Rick drafted Mahomes & followed with an OL he'd btch that Ricky McNair didn't trade up to get the guy "BOB" obviously wanted.

There's real world, there's Madden, then there's that magical place steelb&Texian live where things happen the way they want every time.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sure they could have,

Dawkins/Moton was there in the 2nd rd.

I get that people like Cunningham, I think he's going to be a solid 10 yr starter.

Give me Dawkins/Walker in the 2nd/4th over Cunningham/Davenport. in fact I would have to think about drafting Dawkins then trading back into the 2nd for Moton. I know you would lose Foreman and Watkins but I'm tired of seeing crap OL play. Is this an overreaction? Probably. Is this investing in protecting your franchise QB? Definitely.

Look, I think the Texans had a great draft getting very talented players. But after seeing what happened to Carr I would've gone in a different direction. Really as simple as 2 different philosophies.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes.

Why is that even in doubt? Even had Rick drafted Mahomes & followed with an OL he'd btch that Ricky McNair didn't trade up to get the guy "BOB" obviously wanted.

There's real world, there's Madden, then there's that magical place steelb&Texian live where things happen the way they want every time.
No Madden here. I said Mahomes is the only QB I really wanted in this draft and what I would be willing to give up to get him. When Mahomes wasn't there I would have drafted a QB in the 3rd/4th rd range (Peterman/Dobbs/Kaaya) and drafted a QB high in the 2018 draft. Check out my mock drafts.

Just a different philosophy than Ricky's.

sandman

Brexit Advisor
Sure they could have,

Dawkins/Moton was there in the 2nd rd.

I get that people like Cunningham, I think he's going to be a solid 10 yr starter.

Give me Dawkins/Walker in the 2nd/4th over Cunningham/Davenport. in fact I would have to think about drafting Dawkins then trading back into the 2nd for Moton. I know you would lose Foreman and Watkins but I'm tired of seeing crap OL play. Is this an overreaction? Probably. Is this investing in protecting your franchise QB? Definitely.

Look, I think the Texans had a great draft getting very talented players. But after seeing what happened to Carr I would've gone in a different direction. Really as simple as 2 different philosophies.
OK, I get your point, but I was referring to what they actually drafted after Watson. That strategy wasn't going to change with either Watson or Mahomes. They were going to take Cunningham regardless of which QB they drafted.

So if they had drafted Mahomes instead of Watson, and the rest of the draft was exactly the same - because there is nothing to say that it wouldn't be - would you still criticize Smith for not addressing the OLine situation? Because your post that I originally quoted made it seem like not addressing the OLine concerns in the draft was part and parcel to drafting the wrong QB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OK, I get your point, but I was referring to what they actually drafted after Watson. That strategy wasn't going to change with either Watson or Mahomes. They were going to take Cunningham regardless of which QB they drafted.

So if they had drafted Mahomes instead of Watson, and the rest of the draft was exactly the same - because there is nothing to say that it wouldn't be - would you still criticize Smith for not addressing the OLine situation? Because your post that I originally quoted made it seem like not addressing the OLine concerns in the draft was part and parcel to drafting the wrong QB.
Nope, I just would do anything possible to protect my new QB investment. They didn't do it with Carr and they haven't done it with Watson and wouldn't have done it if Mahomes was drafted.

That's a repeated mistake. IMHO

Shishkabob

All Pro

McShay did a radio interview where he said before the draft in which O'Brien told him he really liked Mahomes physical skills, but he loved Watsons intangibles. Rappaport has reported that Watson was our target this draft and as long as he was there at 12 we already had the trade in place, no matter who came off before him.

Watson was there guy, he wasn't who they settled for. spin stuff how you want because they didn't draft your qb (btw I was a Mahomes fan as well) but I will believe that sources that our highly paid to talk to and find out the validity of sources then random guys on the internet

Shishkabob

All Pro
Nope, I just would do anything possible to protect my new QB investment. They didn't do it with Carr and they haven't done it with Watson and wouldn't have done it if Mahomes was drafted.

That's a repeated mistake. IMHO
we drafted 2 offensive linemen out of 7 picks I'm fine with their investment. we went out and paid an OG last offseason he was bad, but also had a severe calf or ankle injury early on so let's hope with that taken care of he improves to his KC form. we took a center in the 2nd last year. you're probably upset because we didn't go tackle until the 4th which is understandable, but as it has been reported this was a bad tackle class most experts didn't see much to separate the guys who were 1st or 2nd rounders and those who went in the mid rounds. then we got a guy who should provide quality depth.

Oh and the fact that we finished like 11th in pass pro last year, so our situation isn't as dire as we make it out to be.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I'd be curious to know how similar Clemson's 1 side read progressions are to ours. One of the videos I watched that got me excited about Bill O'Brien when I heard we hired him was this one. He explains the route read concept they used in New England & Penn State. I assumed it would be used in Houston as well.

Based on what the QB saw, he would start his read one place or another. Here, O'b gives an example of a route read where it's basically on one side of the field, then work it's way to the other.

If Watson was asked to read the defense to determine which side of the field he would read, it's a very similar concept. All we'd be asking him to do is adding the "work your way" to this side of what O'b is teaching here. (start at 2:10)

If "this" read "left side"
If "that" read "right side"

"then" work to middle.
I'd be very interested to see how OB coaches players because I would have a hard time learning from him at one of his seminars. He says a lot of stuff but doesn't seem to explain much and goes way too fast.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
My statement was not so much about whether Mahomes was a good pro QB prospect, but more around the mindset that "settling" for Watson was some kind of fail on the part of the Texans.

Not like they really had a choice .... even if they did prefer Mahomes , I don't think they so much as settled as KC made the decision for them by making such a big move out of nowhere. I really didn't expect them to take a QB much less make such a big move up the draft board to do it. They had bigger immediate impact needs in the secondary and at RB yet they went with a pick that keeps them out of QB purgatory in the future.
It just shows the importance of the position ....

Hard to consider it a fail when you get the most "accomplished" prospect at the position ... and someone made that kinda move up to take the other guy. It is possible that they did panic after they took Mahomes , forcing a move higher than anticipated costing more in the process.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Andy Reid is said to be a QB whisperer. He seems to be more in agreement with us than with Sandman. I trust my evals and Reid's as well as yours.

The reason I've wanted Jimmy G since 2014.

OB hasn't given us much reason to believe in him .... Tricky Rick hasn't either ...... But I'm wrong all the time , lets hope this is a case where they got it right or at least both got it right.

maverick512000

Hall of Fame
So basically there were three QBs that were going to go in round 1. Now we can argue all day if any were worth round 1 but regardless those three were going in round 1.

The first got taken after the bears pulled a move that may result in all future Chicago front office people having to take a sobriety test prior to being allowed in the war room.

So basically you have KC and Houston that still have serious interest in grabbing one of the two. Now KC already has a franchise QB so it's reasonable to think they aren't going to sell the farm and jump to much and will take which ever one falls to them.

After all it's a really a coin flip on which one is better. Watson has the better resume and is a proven winner but Mahomes seems to just have that "it" factor that makes you think he will be great.

Then out of the blue KC decides to trade up and if people weren't still in shock over Chicago I think that would have been the surprise of the night. How was anybody in the Texans warrrom suppose to see that coming. Honestly I don't think the Bills did call the Texans to say KC is moving up do you want to match, 10 minutes isn't long to work out a deal and you don't want to do it before in case your other trade partner gets pissed and calls it off.

Also there are some levels of politics here. If you get a rep as someone that's talks a trade but then let's other teams know your trade partners plans to try and get a better deal no one will trade with you again. No I don't think Texans or anybody except the Bills and Chiefs knew KC as moving up.

Plus I still maintain that we had a deal with Cleveland from the Os trade that it was just part of a larger trade for their 12th. So there was no reason to think you wouldn't have your pick between which two you wanted.

Maybe Mahomes was BoBs guy and maybe Watson was Ricks guy but I don't think either would be unhappy with either QB, and BoB has had nothing but praise for Watson.

Now some would say that he is just being a good soldier but then in other threads say he isn't following the company line anymore. So which is it?

bah007

Hall of Fame
I'd be very interested to see how OB coaches players because I would have a hard time learning from him at one of his seminars. He says a lot of stuff but doesn't seem to explain much and goes way too fast.
Well, he is explaining a pretty simple concept in that particular video. He's not even really explaining the concept. The concept itself is already known or familiar. At least it should be. He is really explaining their specific process for that particular concept. I though he laid it out really well.

I didn't read the description of the video but I assume that's from a coaching clinic. Any coaches in attendance, even high school level, should understand what he's describing in that video. That information is way too low to be over a coach's head. Now, if that is a seminar for fans to come and learn from Coach, then yes that is way too high level and he needs to slow way down.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
we drafted 2 offensive linemen out of 7 picks I'm fine with their investment. we went out and paid an OG last offseason he was bad, but also had a severe calf or ankle injury early on so let's hope with that taken care of he improves to his KC form. we took a center in the 2nd last year. you're probably upset because we didn't go tackle until the 4th which is understandable, but as it has been reported this was a bad tackle class most experts didn't see much to separate the guys who were 1st or 2nd rounders and those who went in the mid rounds. then we got a guy who should provide quality depth.

Oh and the fact that we finished like 11th in pass pro last year, so our situation isn't as dire as we make it out to be.
Did you watch the games last yr? Clark/Allen in particular?

Pretty dire IMHO

ObsiWan

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Not great, but dire?
NO, not by a long shot.

IMHO.
I'm tending to agree. I keep hearing over and over how marvelous the Cowboys' O-line is. Well they gave up 28 sacks - and that's with a QB that's pretty dang mobile. The Texans gave up 32. With Osweiler back there. I agree, that doesn't seem "dire" to me.
Should we stand pat. Hell no.
And we didn't. Two out of their seven picks addressed the O-line and then added more using UDFAs.
Full disclosure: I wanted Ramcyzk or Robinson. But it's not like we ignored the need.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I'm tending to agree. I keep hearing over and over how marvelous the Cowboys' O-line is. Well they gave up 28 sacks - and that's with a QB that's pretty dang mobile. The Texans gave up 32. With Osweiler back there. I agree, that doesn't seem "dire" to me.
Should we stand pat. Hell no.
And we didn't. Two out of their seven picks addressed the O-line and then added more using UDFAs.
Full disclosure: I wanted Ramcyzk or Robinson. But it's not like we ignored the need.
I don't think the entire line was dire, but one spot in particular was and it brought the unit down as a whole.

Chris Clark, however, was the league’s worst pass-protecting right tackle, surrendering a ridiculous 67 total QB pressures on the season; he was also flagged 13 times.
link

Having Nick Martin debut should help the unit, which is great to look forward to. Addressing that spot in the draft could've been huge as well though, and especially for a team desperate to get off on the right foot identity-wise on offense, and QB in particular. And I'm far from convinced that the 2 guys we picked up will do so.

frethack

Rookie
Id also add that Mancz performed admirably last season.

Not sure how he would fit at G, but between Mancz, Martin, and Brown we should have T, C and at least one G spot filled with solid starters. Sua Filo is serviceable. Who knows what veteran tackles will be cut during camp.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
True... or maybe aged and too expensive on their contracts. But if we can just get 1 decent year out of them...
If we can get 1 decent yr out of them, then what?

No draft picks until the 3rd rd, not gonna find value there.

Sad thing is the 2018 QB/OT class is supposed to be one of the best in a long time.

Number19

Hall of Fame
I don't think the entire line was dire, but one spot in particular was and it brought the unit down as a whole.

link

Having Nick Martin debut should help the unit, which is great to look forward to. Addressing that spot in the draft could've been huge as well though, and especially for a team desperate to get off on the right foot identity-wise on offense, and QB in particular. And I'm far from convinced that the 2 guys we picked up will do so.
Having Martin back in and of itself will not help improve the line much. After all, Mancz did a fine job and was one of the better centers. What it will do is allow Mancz to move to OG. It's been suggested that Allen could move to RT.

It's these two potential moves, or something similar, which would improve our OL. But it is getting Martin back which provides the flexibility for these other moves.