Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

Just trying to guess which direction the team might go this off season, listening to OB on 610, the tone in his voice was noticeably positive when he mentioned Weeden and noticeably negative when talking about Oz.

There were a couple of posters here that I distinctly remember who advocated trading with Washington back in the day for Kirk Cousins. What could have been... I think Cousins would murder it here in Houston

Wouldn't be surprised if they proposed to build a new stadium where the Astrodome is, if the spaceship's still there in 5 years.

Stadium deals are more about the deal the city and/or state is giving the team than any single factor (age of existing stadium, fan base, etc). if Houston (or is it Harris county sports) makes some silly proposal then the Texans will get a place.

Oh, yeah, my plan for QB next year is

1) wait and see that they do in free agency, be underwhelmed and criticize that
2) wait and see what they do in the draft and criticize that
3) wait and see the pre-season and claim the "other" guy or guys are better than the starter
4) wait and see the starter screw-up even once and repeat #3
5) wait for the end of a disappointing season will criticize all of the Qbs because none of them will actually be good enough.

I am leaving out the fire everyone including Toro and the owner part though

Man, I didn't realize the Georgia Dome was "only" 24 years old. That stadium in St. Louis is only 21 years old. Based on these examples, I expect to hear grumbling from Kirby to start within the next 5 years.

Yep. Brock's college scouting report reads like it was just written about him last week. He has not improved his basic game in 5 seasons.

Actually, according to O'Brien himself, he is running a slightly modified version of the Patriots Erhardt-Perkins system that he learned in NE. He admitted this during a radio interview when specifically asked about it.

1. I hope this is when the city of Houston and its loyal fans give the McNair's a trip on the Adams express.

2. True

3. Wouldn't you modify your offense is Os was your QB?

My pplan for QB is Mahomes in rd.2, if he's not there you take the most NFL ready QB in this draft, a guy who could start next yr. (Chad Kelly, this yrs Dak, even has character concerns like Dak had.) When your in the Texans QB situation you take the risk.

If I'm BOB, Os is a regular inactive who's only allowed to sit in on QB meetings, due to the CBA.

Osweiler gets one more year to make it or break it. Part ways with injury prone Savage, move Weeden to #2 spot, draft a new quarterback that has good potential.

Osweiler gets one more year to make it or break it. Part ways with injury prone Savage, move Weeden to #2 spot, draft a new quarterback that has good potential.
rjOot.gif

Listening to OB in his morning press conference, it was evident that he was not pleased with the offensive production this past season and improvement would be the highest priority. A few hours later G was fired. It was also evident he was not pleased with the quarterbacking. There was also a moment when he made a comment that Weeden was still in the equation.

My feeling is that a decision on Oz is to be made and if OB has his way it does't look good for Oz. It may come down to that $6M cap hit if he is released, IMO.

The team is at a crucial stage where the offense has to improve next year. Oz is in OB's doghouse going into the off season. We have two other QB's who know the offense.

If it's Smith's decision that we keep Oz, then we may be going into next season with the same three QB's as this year.

Actually, according to O'Brien himself, he is running a slightly modified version of the Patriots Erhardt-Perkins system that he learned in NE. He admitted this during a radio interview when specifically asked about it.

It's like the difference between Shanahan's WCO & Kubiak's. Kyle developed his under Kubiak, but Shanahan totally turned the page.

Josh McDaniels offense is like two chapters ahead of what O'Brien is doing.

Is holding oz till the end of preseason and waiting for a rash of injuries on other teams so we can trade him for a 7th round pick pie in the sky?

Is holding oz till the end of preseason and waiting for a rash of injuries on other teams so we can trade him for a 7th round pick pie in the sky?
I was thinking the same about Weeden, but we might could get a little more. Oz's contract is not trade friendly.

My pplan for QB is Mahomes in rd.2, if he's not there you take the most NFL ready QB in this draft, a guy who could start next yr. (Chad Kelly, this yrs Dak, even has character concerns like Dak had.) When your in the Texans QB situation you take the risk.

This is where I'm at. I know there's a lot of hate for Osweiler, but the guy threw what should have been three TD passes in the first half of Saturday's game & considering what he had to deal with to start the season...

I'm not giving him anything other than the opportunity to earn the starting job. I'd even draft a guy in the first round, pretty much tell Osweiler his days are numbered. He'll pretty much have to win the Super Bowl to play out his contract.

I was thinking the same about Weeden, but we might could get a little more. Oz's contract is not trade friendly.

I know the contract sux and im thinking no way this happens while i type it but hoping.

At this point id be thrilled to trade him for an 8th round pick.

I know the contract sux and im thinking no way this happens while i type it but hoping.

At this point id be thrilled to trade him for an 8th round pick.
Perhaps some sort of deal where we pick up, for example, $17M of the $19M?

Heck, I would go for paying his entire $19M salary, but we would save the $6M extra that releasing him would cost. Would some team like a free QB for one year?

Reactions: ROO
The QB problem all started when Osweiler was GIVEN the starting job without having to earn it. He was nothing more than an overhyped, overpaid backup. I blame BOB for that and no one else. By starting the undeserving Osweiler, BOB lied to the team and the fans. If you ask me, this season was a HUGE waste of a great defense and offensive talent like Hopkins.

I would've loved to have seen Weeden, Hopkins, Mumphries & Braxton Miller all on the field at the same time. Spread the defense; throw downfield or a medium slant. Now that would've been exciting to see, and not the Osweiler 4-yard pass specialty. But, it didn't happen and we'll never know.

Reactions: ROO
We'll also never know to what extent the Oz signing was an upper management decision. OB certainly was consulted, and by his own words, he said he had control of who started. But this year was weird; and listening to OB in his morning presser, he did not sound pleased with the quarterbacking. It's hard for me to think he had total control of these decisions. Hopefully, we'll see some changes this coming year.

The QB problem all started when Osweiler was GIVEN the starting job without having to earn it. He was nothing more than an overhyped, overpaid backup. I blame BOB for that and no one else. By starting the undeserving Osweiler, BOB lied to the team and the fans. If you ask me, this season was a HUGE waste of a great defense and offensive talent like Hopkins.

I would've loved to have seen Weeden, Hopkins, Mumphries & Braxton Miller all on the field at the same time. Spread the defense; throw downfield or a medium slant. Now that would've been exciting to see, and not the Osweiler 4-yard pass specialty. But, it didn't happen and we'll never know.

IT did happen. Weeden never could get past anyone in practice he was so garbage. Just as garbage as every post you keep making about how he could have been the savior here in Houston. Weeden couldn't ever pass up the likes of Hoyer, Savage, and Oz. That's pathetic as it gets.

If by BOB you mean BOB MCNAIR you are correct sir.

We'll also never know to what extent the Oz signing was an upper management decision. OB certainly was consulted, and by his own words, he said he had control of who started. But this year was weird; and listening to OB in his morning presser, he did not sound pleased with the quarterbacking. It's hard for me to think he had total control of these decisions. Hopefully, we'll see some changes this coming year.

I think we know.

BOB says Savage gives the team its best chance to win. Savage gets concussion and never plays another down the rest of the season, even when healthy.

That should tell you that was a BOB/Ricky McNair call.

Kelly has a much better arm than you give him credit for. I didn't know he was smart. Should understand the NFL game growing up around the game. I will admit my bias, his uncle Jim was one of my favorite QB's.

IT did happen. Weeden never could get past anyone in practice he was so garbage. Just as garbage as every post you keep making about how he could have been the savior here in Houston. Weeden couldn't ever pass up the likes of Hoyer, Savage, and Oz. That's pathetic as it gets.

Wrong! Weeden was never given a chance. There was no QB contest in training camp; it was an Osweiler Benefit Outing! All the media, all the hype, was all Osweiler.

Wrong! Weeden was never given a chance. There was no QB contest in training camp; it was an Osweiler Benefit Outing! All the media, all the hype, was all Osweiler.
Mrs. Weeden, if your son couldn't get a starting gig in this QB starved league, that ought to tell all you need to know.

Mrs. Weeden, if your son couldn't get a starting gig in this QB starved league, that ought to tell all you need to know.

Lol! By literally handing the QB spot to Osweiler without merit cast the die for a horrible offensive season for the Texans. Osweiler deserved the starting QB position as much as Rosie O'Donnell deserves to win a Miss America contest.

Had one in Cleveland. It was a disaster but apparently family is still out trolling.

Romo is looking for a Ring and a good team not money he already has his money he can always redo his contract to help his new team sign him, romo had the whole year off letting his body heal was the best thing for him. Texans better not overthink this and get silly.

he fixed his shoulder issue this off-season and shaved down the bone that was causing the break to flex better for impacts the back issuse is really about getting hit in the wrong place the 2 hits that messed his back up were a helmet to his back on a sack and getting compressed on his back while sliding those are freak injuries.

no doctor would clear romo much less allow him to play football If he had career risking life threating injuries to much hyper-bowl is being made about his cap it and injuries

I was thinking....

Maybe we could do like they do in the NBA and "pay" someone to take Os.

Like say they want two seconds for Brees or Rivers or Romo...maybe throw in a couple more picks to take on Os.

But I don't know if NFL contracts work like that or if there is even a difference between trade and cut.

I want us to draft Mahomes, I want that qb who can throw and accurate pass on the move without having to set his feet, I want the qb that can throw with his arm at different angles, I want a qb who is not only and natural thrower, but just natural for the position. every Osweiler throw looks forced and painful almost as if he pushes the ball like a shot out instead of tossing it. Mahomes can do all of that with ease. I just don't think we are the type of team to take an early risk on him

I'm not into memorabilia. I was a pro athlete, too, so that stuff really does nothing for me.

What I do want to see, however, is Brandon Weeden winning the starting QB job in training camp and opening up the Texans offense with his downfield passing!

I want to see jennifer lawrence naked :)

Kelly has a much better arm than you give him credit for. I didn't know he was smart. Should understand the NFL game growing up around the game. I will admit my bias, his uncle Jim was one of my favorite QB's.

also like him...see his ceiling as a solid #2 but also one could make the argument he might be that next 6th rd pick like Brady to become a star...will admit I enjoy watching him play.

I want us to draft Mahomes, I want that qb who can throw and accurate pass on the move without having to set his feet, I want the qb that can throw with his arm at different angles, I want a qb who is not only and natural thrower, but just natural for the position. every Osweiler throw looks forced and painful almost as if he pushes the ball like a shot out instead of tossing it. Mahomes can do all of that with ease. I just don't think we are the type of team to take an early risk on him

ditto

Romo is looking for a Ring and a good team not money he already has his money he can always redo his contract to help his new team sign him, romo had the whole year off letting his body heal was the best thing for him. Texans better not overthink this and get silly.

he fixed his shoulder issue this off-season and shaved down the bone that was causing the break to flex better for impacts the back issuse is really about getting hit in the wrong place the 2 hits that messed his back up were a helmet to his back on a sack and getting compressed on his back while sliding those are freak injuries.

no doctor would clear romo much less allow him to play football If he had career risking life threating injuries to much hyper-bowl is being made about his cap it and injuries

Hey look guys! Jerry Jones joined the board! Awesome!

Just kidding man but seriously, the next time Tony Romo falls on that bone it's going to break and when it does I hope to hell he isn't wearing a Texans uniform. I know he's got tons of talent left but he can't stay on the field at all. Just can't do it.

ditto

Chad Kelly has a colorful history. Idk that he'd be "Texans" material. That plus the torn ACL and torn lateral meniscus that ended his season (plus another ACL in 2012) and I'm just not seeing it. But who knows.

NFL Draft Prospect Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly Red Flags - The MMQB.com
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/26/nfl-draft-2017-chad-kelly-ole-miss-quarterback-red-flags-field

It’s not necessarily a problem that Kelly ran onto the field at the high school game, several NFL sources said. But it’s disconcerting that he’s in the news again. It wasn’t a total write-off when he was dismissed from Clemson for “conduct detrimental to the team” in April 2014, or even when he was arrested eight months later after being accused of punching a bouncer at a bar a friend had been thrown out of, threatening to open gun fire in the bar, and getting into an altercation with police upon his arrest (he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was sentenced to a conditional discharge that included community service).

While Jim was starring for the Bills, Chad’s father, Kevin, the youngest of Jim’s five brothers, made his career at Wegman’s grocery store. Kevin was relocated to different chain when Chad was in high school, and Chad enrolled at Red Lion High School in Pennsylvania. He was suspended as a freshman, then kicked off the team his sophomore year. He moved back to Western New York to live with his maternal grandparents, who helped pay for private school.

Back