Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

If the QBs in this class is as raw as they say, we should probably keep a guy like Weeden to be our #2. Have a guy like Mahomes work with the practice squad & work on his mechanics working under center for a while.

Assuming we keep Brock for next year and draft a QB, cutting Weeden is a no brained, right? He saves us $2.1M with no dead money. That would leave us with Savage, Brock, and the rookie.

Assuming we keep Brock for next year and draft a QB, cutting Weeden is a no brained, right? He saves us $2.1M with no dead money. That would leave us with Savage, Brock, and the rookie.

I would cut Savage. I can't depend on him being there when we need him. You may be right on the money side of it, but if I'd rather have Weeden's availability to ensure I don't have to rush our rookie's development.

In my mind, Savage & Weeden are the types of QBs that have to earn their starting role by making the most of their opportunity when it presents itself. Savage didn't, simply because of health/injury issues. Now it's Weedens turn.

Hey look guys! Jerry Jones joined the board! Awesome!

Just kidding man but seriously, the next time Tony Romo falls on that bone it's going to break and when it does I hope to hell he isn't wearing a Texans uniform. I know he's got tons of talent left but he can't stay on the field at all. Just can't do it.

Agreed. Maybe Romo and Savage can battle it it to see who can go the longest without getting hurt. I say Romo gets hurt the first time he's sacked.

Hey look guys! Jerry Jones joined the board! Awesome!

Just kidding man but seriously, the next time Tony Romo falls on that bone it's going to break and when it does I hope to hell he isn't wearing a Texans uniform. I know he's got tons of talent left but he can't stay on the field at all. Just can't do it.

Sean Lee could not play 16 game anytime during his dallas career and is always hurt until he played all 16 games this season and he has been more hurt than Romo so explain that

you either will get hurt during the season and miss time or you wont, that is football " Scared Money Don't Make No Money"

Last edited:
If we trade for Romo, what's his contract looking like ?

wandering_albatross_1.jpg

He has a $24M cap hit next year. We have $25M in cap space. That means we'd have to dump some contracts just to sign our rookies not to mention if we want to re-sign Bouye and extend Hopkins.

New Orleans will have to eat the $24M because of the signing bonus they gave him.

The new team would be responsible for the $13M salary which could be restructured if necessary.

Sean Lee could not play 16 game anytime during his dallas career and is always hurt until he played all 16 games this season and he has been more hurt than Romo so explain that

you either will get hurt during the season and miss time or you wont, that is football " Scared Money Don't Make No Money"

You know who else "Don't Make No Money"? Stupid Money and throwing money at Romo is stupid. This man (CloakNNNdagger) can just about tell you when a player is about to re-injure anything literally anything (seriously, the man is uncanny) and when I read the following I wrote Tony Romo off for good as far as being the Texans answer.

With the way the Cowboys'' surgeon treated Romos multiply-fractured collar bone...........I have no doubt that a re-fracture is just a hit or fall away............his next surgery will be a major surgery with likely career threatening implication.............that is a major reason why the Cowboys made an extremely long rehab before clearing him from a relatively minor surgery (which is not a known establish/indicated surgery for his problem), and "hidden" him from the field even for garbage times, which have been many. The Cowboys didn't want to take a chance on having his trade value disappear with another collar bone injury, as most team medical staffs would understand that they would be taking on a QB who was literally on the clock. And the Cowboys would not want Romo as a back up QB, not only because of his salary/cap, but moreso, if Prescott went down and Romo came in, they'd be soon seeing him going down, leaving them quickly looking for yet another expensive QB.

If the QBs in this class is as raw as they say, we should probably keep a guy like Weeden to be our #2. Have a guy like Mahomes work with the practice squad & work on his mechanics working under center for a while.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, with how impatient fans and media are nowadays no team is going to get away with taking a 1st round QB and keeping him inactive.

Just look at Goff for the Rams. They knew he wasn't ready but threw him to the wolves anyway to appease the mob.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, with how impatient fans and media are nowadays no team is going to get away with taking a 1st round QB and keeping him inactive.

Just look at Goff for the Rams. They knew he wasn't ready but threw him to the wolves anyway to appease the mob.

They had nothing to play for & nowhere to go after Keenum.

Whether you've got Brock & Weeden or Savage & Weeden you have an option if you're still competing for a playoff spot.

If you're out of the race 6 games in, then yeah. We'll skip our #2 & start the Mahomes/Tribisky era.

Then since there isn't a lot of money tied up in the position beyond 2017, I'd draft another 1~2nd rounder in 2018.

A guy who is proven vs. a draft pick who is not. My philosophy is to solve the QB position. Not to roll the dice with poor odds. You find a strong QB, you go get him. You don't roll the dice on late draft picks every year thinking that will work. I can, but you've got a low probability, and I'd say that you aren't taking the QB position that seriously based on a low probability approach. You're also saying that you're creating a better financial investment like its some guarantee that your draft pick will turn out well when it probably won't. It isn't a better position when you're still wasting seasons on bad QB investments. Who cares about the money? You need a QB.
Garopalo is not a proven QB. No more than Brock was when we got him.

Can you imagine Our defense with Clowney and watt?

No doubt, I'd like to keep Watt. Who knows if Jd can put together another season like that. & we may be losing Crennel.

But even with Rick Smith running the draft, I'd just as soon keep our top three draft picks.

Is there a reason we might be losing Crennel? I have seen that posited a couple of times and don't recall seeing any kind of story about it. Did I miss something other than that he's just about 70 years old?

Peterman is intriguing. I want no part of a Brad Kaaya.

Very intrigued by Peterman as well.

Loved Kaaya as a freshman. Loved him less every time I saw him play after that. Physical tools seem to be there, but there's something big missing. I can't tell you exactly what it is but I just have no confidence in him being a winner.

Is there a reason we might be losing Crennel? I have seen that posited a couple of times and don't recall seeing any kind of story about it. Did I miss something other than that he's just about 70 years old?

He signed a contract through 2016. We said something to Vrabel to keep him from taking SF's DC job last year.

Last edited:
He signed a contract through 2017. We said something to Vrabel to keep him from taking SF's DC job last year.

Ah, OK. Yeah that makes sense. Good problem to have but it sucks to have to face losing one or the other. Most likely that does sound like what will happen.

Colin Cowherd was saying this morning that if the Patriots dont win the Super Bowl and Brady plays average, he could see Belichick dumping Brady and going with Garapolo next year. Man, I know Belichick dont care truly about any player and he gets rid of players the year he thinks they have hit their summit, but this would be a big balls move.

Let's suppose this happened, not likely tough, Brady is not retiring, he would be salivating to go to a contender that needs a qb, ala Peyton Manning. Texans or Broncos?

He signed a contract through 2017. We said something to Vrabel to keep him from taking SF's DC job last year.

According to N.D. Kalu and Greg Koch this morning, RAC is not under contract right now.

John McClain basically confirmed it in his article yesterday:

It's essential to Texans that Romeo Crennel stays

Of all the things the Texans need to accomplish in the offseason, re-signing defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel ranks among the most important - right behind hiring an offensive coordinator to replace George Godsey and drafting a quarterback.

Here is his original deal with the Texans. A three year contract - 2014, 2015, 2016 - and he's now a free agent coach:

Romeo Crennel named Texans DC

The Houston Texans agreed to terms Monday on a three-year deal with Romeo Crennel to take over as defensive coordinator.

Colin Cowherd was saying this morning that if the Patriots dont win the Super Bowl and Brady plays average, he could see Belichick dumping Brady and going with Garapolo next year. Man, I know Belichick dont care truly about any player and he gets rid of players the year he thinks they have hit their summit, but this would be a big balls move.

Let's suppose this happened, not likely tough, Brady is not retiring, he would be salivating to go to a contender that needs a qb, ala Peyton Manning. Texans or Broncos?

Krafts relationship with Brady would be an interesting dynamic in this theory.

if this happens and brady is not on our roster in 2017 it speaks a lot of what brady's opinion about BOB is.

Brady wouldn't have to adapt to anything. The system is the same.
if we had brady this year we would not be in the offseason right now.

we got to the playoffs with Os ffs, just imagine what brady could have done

The only issue I can see is McNair not wanting him because of the cellphone thing. But I really doubt he could pass on such a money maker. Even if he plays **** his jersey would probably be #2 on the sales

I keep telling people that Brady could become available in 2018. If Garropalo isn't traded, that WILL happen.

No way for next season though. Brady is still the best QB in the league.

According to N.D. Kalu and Greg Koch this morning, RAC is not under contract right now.

John McClain basically confirmed it in his article yesterday:

Here is his original deal with the Texans. A three year contract - 2014, 2015, 2016 - and he's now a free agent coach:

That's right. Don't know why I said 2017. I meant 2016.

Brady wouldn't have to adapt to anything. The system is the same.
if we had brady this year we would not be in the offseason right now.

The system is the same as it was when New England ran through Gronk & Hernandez. Not the same as when Castle took over, when Brady set records, or when they won Super Bowls.

But yeah...

The system is the same as it was when New England ran through Gronk & Hernandez. Not the same as when Castle took over, when Brady set records, or when they won Super Bowls.

But yeah...

Ok but still, much closer to brady's muscle memory than whatever denver is doing
I suppose, I didn't really follow them this year

He has a $24M cap hit next year. We have $25M in cap space. That means we'd have to dump some contracts just to sign our rookies not to mention if we want to re-sign Bouye and extend Hopkins.
Thanks, that settles it... no Romo unless someone has a brainfart and takes Brock off our hands :)

I think my plan for next year is going to have to adjust to the idea that it's probable we end up with the same crew at QB that we have now plus maybe a rookie. Maybe no Brandon Weeden (That would be a real tragedy) but almost certainly Brock and Savage. They're just not going to give up on him after one year no matter what I think so I believe I'm going all-in hoping Savage breaks out and manages to stay on the field.

The way I see it this is only slightly less crazy than expecting Brock to become a reliable, accurate QB who takes care of the ball.

Last edited:
Serious Blaine Gabbert vibe. Dude looks phenomenal throwing in pass skeleton but falls apart when you put pass rushers around him.
from MIissouri and watched every game of Gabbert in college..he sure didn't like pressure..never understood him as a 1st rounder..IMO Kaaya isn't as bad In his last five games as a Hurricane, Kaaya threw 14 touchdown passes and only one interception. In his final college season, he was 261-of-421 passing for 3,532 yards and 27 touchdowns.

needs to play in a wco..very quick release...smart enough gave him a late 1 early 2 grade but also doesn't WOW! me either

Garopalo is not a proven QB. No more than Brock was when we got him.

He is less proven when you think about. Unless I am mistaken, he has only played a game and a half this year in the regular season and then got hurt which means he got less starts than Brock and may be less durable.

Cowherd has no idea what he's talking about. All his talking points are about creating clicks/interest/controversy.

Cowherd has no idea what he's talking about. All his talking points are about creating clicks/interest/controversy.
Yep, I know. I usually dont take anything serious he has to say. But this one caught my attention because I could see Belichick doing something like this if he thinks hes gotta make a choice between a 40 year old declining Brady and a young talented heir to Brady. Belichick is a robot and has zero emotion or loyalty to any player. He would cut his own mom if it would benefit the team in the long run.

Of course no one knows how these QB's will stack up come draft day but, just like last year with Wentz, we could see someone who is considered a low or mid round draft pick rise up the boards into the 1st round and maybe even to one of the top 5 picks. At this point in time though, I think Trubisky will probably be the 1st QB taken, and then it becomes a matter of whether the Browns take a QB with their 1st pick or Garrett. If they go QB it could start a run on QB's and essentially leave the Texans with no QB worth taking at #25, or worse, force them to trade up and spend valuable draft picks. If the Browns wait until their 2nd pick (#12) in the 1st round they also run the risk of not getting a QB they want due to the Niners, Bears, and Jets all needing QB's and picking ahead of them at #12. Either way they go you can probably count on at least 4 QB's being gone by the time the Texans pick at #25, and with this weak class of QB's, that doesn't leave much left over. This doesn't even take into account the scenario that played out a few drafts ago where a team (Vikings) jumped ahead of the Texans, who were picking first in the 2nd rd, just to get Bridgewater. This almost happened to Denver last year when the cowpies were going to jump back into the 1st rd to get Lynch but Elway moved up several picks to get him instead. Hopefully Rick and BOB learned from all of this and will be ready if they are looking at QB's in the 1st.

As for the QB's I like in this draft, right now, with my limited knowledge of them, I'd have to go with Trubisky and Mahomes. I don't put "swag" at the top of the list for my QB like poplarbluffman does. I go with accuracy, touch, vision, mobility and pocket awareness probably more than anything although toughness and grit are up there too. But, to me anyway, the QB has to have accuracy probably more than anything. If he shows that, especially in college, he stands a good chance of making it in the NFL. I don't know anything about Peterman yet but he is one I will also keep an eye on as the off-season goes on.

When I look at quarterbacks, the two things I look for are accuracy, and nuts when the pocket collapses. Nathan Peterman in the second is the one thing I want most out of this draft. I expect him to rise, but he is accurate, he makes big plays pressing the ball downfield, and his receivers were not very good so he has some experience throwing into tight windows.

Reactions: Max
If we are not willing to go with Savage because of his injury concerns why would we entertain Tony Romo?
2 Diff types of players its up to the F.O what they want to do win the division maybe with the q.b's you have and waste your def for another year any Q.B can get hurt look at Carr and Mariota broken legs out of the blue in the same week ish happens

no one is saying give up the farm for Romo but if you can get him at a fair deal would you turn away

2 Diff types of players its up to the F.O what they want to do win the division maybe with the q.b's you have and waste your def for another year any Q.B can get hurt look at Carr and Mariota broken legs out of the blue in the same week ish happens

no one is saying give up the farm for Romo but if you can get him at a fair deal would you turn away
I wouldn't want Romo, because the last time he played all 16 games was 2012. That screams injury prone/unreliable.

Back