Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

I'm tired of other teams QB's and I certainly don't like the idea of giving a team a 1st+ for the privilege of taking a QB off of their hands when they are willing to give him up. Add in another QB contract and it's a hard pass for me.

The prospects coming in the draft aren't very exciting but they haven't done combine workouts or any of that other fun stuff that comes with the draft so give it time.

I hope we go after Romo but I don't think we can afford it with Brock getting $16 million next year.

In an interview on NFL network today Jerruh stated that he drafted all those high round OL to protect Romo.

Romo is even more fragile than Savage and our line got him concussed, on a QB sneak no less. Romo wouldn't last past the first snap.

:coffee:

I think Osweiler will look a lot better nexterm year. Year two in the system, another year with Nuk & Fiedo. Will Fuller & Braxton Miller with a second year in the system. Godsey will most likely look like a decent OC as well, but I'd just as soon they bring an NFL OC in & get away from this Georgia Tech offense.

I would also part ways with Tom Savage & Brandon Weeden and draft a QB in the first or second round.

Last night Osweiler was 1-8 with 3 interceptions on passes over 15 yards. That is absolutely pathetic!

Here is the answer to the Texans QB problem. And his name is Brandon Weeden. He can throw a pass for 60 yards in the air as good as anyone.

I think Osweiler will look a lot better nexterm year. Year two in the system, another year with Nuk & Fiedo. Will Fuller & Braxton Miller with a second year in the system. Godsey will most likely look like a decent OC as well, but I'd just as soon they bring an NFL OC in & get away from this Georgia Tech offense.

I would also part ways with Tom Savage & Brandon Weeden and draft a QB in the first or second round.

So we are not using OB's version of the Erhardt-Perkins offense?

Inaccuracy cant be fixed.

After seeing Os crap the bed all yr I don't think you really believe this. You're smarter than this, trust what you see.

They will carry 3 QB's, who's your 3rd.

Of course it does look somewhat like the TSATWASWH offense.

What about Kevin Johnson and Jalen Strong?

Or Deandre Hopkins and Trevardo Williams?

Jadaveon Clowney and Tom Savage?

Me personally, yes to all. A franchise QB is greater than any sum of players. You keep trying until you get one. QBs are worth so much that I think a combo of JJ Watt/Clowney would get you an Andy Dalton type QB at best.

Last night Osweiler was 1-8 with 3 interceptions on passes over 15 yards. That is absolutely pathetic!

Here is the answer to the Texans QB problem. And his name is Brandon Weeden. He can throw a pass for 60 yards in the air as good as anyone.

2 of those were dropped td passes that were perfectly thrown.

After seeing Os crap the bed all yr I don't think you really believe this. You're smarter than this, trust what you see.

Neither can his Randy Johnson wind up.
Savage for President in 2017.

I don't see how a QB can be accurate on a dozen throws, then inaccurate for the next dozen. We're not seeing circus catches out there to compensate for inaccuracy. While I agree there are mechanical issues that affect his consistency, I believe familiarity & comfort are his biggest issues.

That said he may never be more than average & imo that won't be enough to earn the remainder of his contract.

We'll pick up an UDFA to be our third string guy to run the practice squad. If we actually need a third QB due to injury I'm sure Tj Yates will be available

We're not using the Patriots version.

Erhardt-Perkins, like WCO is language & concepts. What we do, what the Giants do, what Carolina does... all totally different but EP.

Every QB has to deal with drops. Osweiler was consistently one of the most ineffective downfield passers in the league.
I completely agree. Your Weeden mancrush is amusing. Even Hoyer looks like an all star when you watch his highlight video.
Weeden has a great arm but doesn't make the best of decisions.

In an interview on NFL network today Jerruh stated that he drafted all those high round OL to protect Romo.

Romo is even more fragile than Savage and our line got him concussed, on a QB sneak no less. Romo wouldn't last past the first snap.

Probably not, but Romo is a solid QB and is possibly going to be made available. We need a QB and Romo, without a doubt, is the best option. He's too much of a gun slinger imo, but after watching sh!t at QB the past three years I would welcome that type of QB play.

I honestly admit its my bad I was maybe dreaming but please don't ground me folks LOL
This is what i wrote on Saturday:
The Texans shock the world and UPSET the Pats. Brock has a breakout game w WRs n his legs. Miller runs like the bulls. OL stands strong. TE becomes untighten. Special teams come up big. Defense well they are #1. Now if i'm wrong or one says I'm dreaming then what, somebody gonna ground me for the rest of the year...lol
Now for next year QB is obviously still a dilemma and early until the dust soon settles coming months. But as of today offensively I would say because of $$ Os will be back not a big fan tho. Keep Savage who I do like but always getting hurt and draft high round QB. Although invest in more OL that rookie center will be back and WR. It's a hard one because of all these QB merry go rounds. In hindsight that Os deal of $$$ was too desperate.

For a one year contract and realizing you may have to spend $100M to resign him in 2018? Or am I missing something?

You're missing a lot. They'd have to resign him for sure to a huge contract. You aren't signing any decent QB if you're not. You didn't learn that from the Osweiller contract we're in now?

Fire O'Brien and ensure that our $72 million dollar investment is equipped with the coaching and playcalling necessary to evolve and succeed as a quarterback in this league.

This really should be the only option. Unless we want to keep on with another David Carr. Brock might already be irreparable mentally.

I'm NO Obrien apologist ... Don't really like him , this team was carried by RAC's defense the past two seasons .... OB has done next to nothing ....

BUT .... OB is handcuffed by Osweiler , not the other way around .... No matter what OB does - aside from hand the ball off , Brock is gonna screw up. He's just too inaccurate and I really don't believe that is a trait you can fix this late in a guys development.

They have to get lucky in the draft or free agency and find a capable arm who can execute the game plan without making so many mistakes on the cheap .... that pushes Osweiler to the bench because that $17m albatross of a cap hit isn't getting cut .... We're still in QB purgatory 5 years later .... Really wish they could find a clone of Schaub , prior to all the injuries.

For a one year contract and realizing you may have to spend $100M to resign him in 2018? Or am I missing something?

Great observation. You're not missing anything. Anyone who is ignoring that is choosing to be blind to the fact that they would would give up the farm for an unknown.

Look at Washington and how they franchised Kirk Cousins for 20m just to be sure they had a franchise player after seeing him as a starter for one full year.

Bad decision to give up a first and a fourth for an unknown. Especially when he got hurt in his first three starts. Doesn't sound very durable either. Sounds alot like a qb we already have on the roster for cheap.

Since it is highly unlikely Brock will part ways with the Texans next season, the most important move would be to replace Tom Savage. If we want someone to get Brock on the pine and keep him there it has to be someone who can make it through more than 2 games before missing the rest of the season.

You're missing a lot. They'd have to resign him for sure to a huge contract. You aren't signing any decent QB if you're not. You didn't learn that from the Osweiller contract we're in now?
I learned plenty. I'd rather spend an owner's money than draft picks. Of course, I already knew that, so yeah...

Since it is highly unlikely Brock will part ways with the Texans next season, the most important move would be to replace Tom Savage. If we want someone to get Brock on the pine and keep him there it has to be someone who can make it through more than 2 games before missing the rest of the season.
The most important part would be to give Savage an honest shot at being the starter. Weeden would be a great backup and Os a June 1st cut.

The most important part would be to give Savage an honest shot at being the starter. Weeden would be a great backup and Os a June 1st cut.

I'd rather Brock be the highest paid 3rd QB in the league for one season and have 2 people who have a chance at being better and staying healthy in front of him

I think the obvious answer is trading for Jimmy G, his cap is hit is minimal, we could adsorb him and Brock this year before cutting Brock in 2018. Will they do that? Doubtful.....I think we keep the QB's we have and try to upgrade the OL and bring in a vet WR

I think the obvious answer is trading for Jimmy G, his cap is hit is minimal, we could adsorb him and Brock this year before cutting Brock in 2018. Will they do that? Doubtful.....I think we keep the QB's we have and try to upgrade the OL and bring in a vet WR

Then why would they trade him? He is their future. That won't happen. == Brock is our future. == My keyboard just exploded as I typed that...........................

Probably not, but Romo is a solid QB and is possibly going to be made available. We need a QB and Romo, without a doubt, is the best option. He's too much of a gun slinger imo, but after watching sh!t at QB the past three years I would welcome that type of QB play.
Somebody needs to explain to me how the Texans would pay Osweiler and Romo both (in the neighborhood of $40 million).

(Damn this auto correct. Here I am sipping whiskey and I've got to figure out what I typed) The QB I would draft in 2018's first round would be a rookie contract, with significant savings. I would be trading the possibility of positive experience for a more positive financial position.

As you said earlier, you are playing the odds and betting that G pans out. I prefer developing our QB through the 2018 draft.

Neither of us is really right or wrong. It's just two different philosophies for addressing our QB problem. It's a crap shoot either way.

I'm. OT signing a veteran. The QB I would draft in 2018's first round would be a rookie contract, with significant savings. I would be trading the possibility of positive experience for a more positive financial position.

As you said earlier, you are playing the odds and betting that G pans out. I prefer developing our QB through the 2018 draft.

Neither of us is really right or wrong. It's just two different philosophies for addressing our QB problem. It's a crap shoot either way.

A guy who is proven vs. a draft pick who is not. My philosophy is to solve the QB position. Not to roll the dice with poor odds. You find a strong QB, you go get him. You don't roll the dice on late draft picks every year thinking that will work. I can, but you've got a low probability, and I'd say that you aren't taking the QB position that seriously based on a low probability approach. You're also saying that you're creating a better financial investment like its some guarantee that your draft pick will turn out well when it probably won't. It isn't a better position when you're still wasting seasons on bad QB investments. Who cares about the money? You need a QB.

A guy who is proven vs. a draft pick who is not. My philosophy is to solve the QB position. Not to roll the dice with poor odds. You find a strong QB, you go get him. You don't roll the dice on late draft picks every year thinking that will work. I can, but you've got a low probability, and I'd say that you aren't taking the QB position that seriously based on a low probability approach. You're also saying that you're creating a better financial investment like its some guarantee that your draft pick will turn out well when it probably won't. It isn't a better position when you're still wasting seasons on bad QB investments. Who cares about the money? You need a QB.
If G pans out you're right. If he doesn't you're wrong. It's a crap shoot.

If G pans out you're right. If he doesn't you're wrong. It's a crap shoot.

This is true, but unless you think Jimmy looked like crap I'm sure that you would agree that the odds are a lot higher in his favor than probably this entire rookie class much less some 3rd round guy. There are random rookie QB's every year. Garropalo has shown things and is ready to be a full time starter already. The Texans need a player like that for a SB run now. They're ready. They just need the QB.

This is true, but unless you think Jimmy looked like crap I'm sure that you would agree that the odds are a lot higher in his favor than probably this entire rookie class much less some 3rd round guy. There are random rookie QB's every year. Garropalo has shown things and is ready to be a full time starter already. The Texans need a player like that for a SB run now. They're ready. They just need the QB.
I'd consistanty stated using our 1018 first round pick on a QB. I'm basing this on comments on this forum that the 2018 QB class is deeper than the 1017 class. I'm wanting to address our OL problems in 2017, although it seems the draft may be weak here also. It's early.

Somebody needs to explain to me how the Texans would pay Osweiler and Romo both (in the neighborhood of $40 million).
With the way the Cowboys'' surgeon treated Romos multiply-fractured collar bone...........I have no doubt that a re-fracture is just a hit or fall away............his next surgery will be a major surgery with likely career threatening implication.............that is a major reason why the Cowboys made an extremely long rehab before clearing him from a relatively minor surgery (which is not a known establish/indicated surgery for his problem), and "hidden" him from the field even for garbage times, which have been many. The Cowboys didn't want to take a chance on having his trade value disappear with another collar bone injury, as most team medical staffs would understand that they would be taking on a QB who was literally on the clock. And the Cowboys would not want Romo as a back up QB, not only because of his salary/cap, but moreso, if Prescott went down and Romo came in, they'd be soon seeing him going down, leaving them quickly looking for yet another expensive QB.

I want to see the Texans try and pry Rivers away from the Chargers. I bet we could arrange a sign/trade for him that gets us enough cap relief for 2017 to be able to park Os's expensive but useless butt on the bench for a year before cutting him. Burn some picks getting Rivers and then get this OL functioning on a professional level.

Put a line in front of him that's halfway decent, give him this defense and The next three years would be a lot of fun.

I most likely wouldn't do that.

What do you give in the trade? & if Garoppolo's minimal cost is important to you, that you do not sign him to an extension before the season, are you willing to let him test FA next season? In effect, whatever you gave up to get him you gave up for a one year rental.

Here are Brandon Weeden's highlights with the Texans last season. Why on earth would a coach bench and never again play a QB that played this well? Weeden is far superior to Osweiler!

When Weeden is gone in 2017, you won't be missed

I bet you're a big Osweiler fan and can't wait to see some of his trademark 4-yard passes next season!

Weeden may land a gig with another team and that city will laugh at Houston. The Texans' management is clueless when it comes to quarterbacks.

Back