Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

I hope the Texans do not draft a QB.
I believe it would be David Carr all over again.
David Carr was amazing in collage.
I do not believe David had a chance to grow
do to the lack of O-Line.
That being said who ever we pick will have better weapons then David.
This year's QB selectons are not worth our first round pick.

What I want?

Jay cutler on a one year deal
if obrian fails to work his magic with cutler.
get rid of both.
Let the new coach pick what ever QB he wants next year and even move up to get him if we must.

Get your pink soap out it's going to be a long season

So basically you're saying the talent on this team is equal to a expansion team?

I hope the Texans do not draft a QB.
I believe it would be David Carr all over again.
David Carr was amazing in collage.
I do not believe David had a chance to grow
do to the lack of O-Line.
That being said who ever we pick will have better weapons then David.
This year's QB selectons are not worth our first round pick.

The O-Line was a problem in Carr's rookie year. It was not Carr's main problem, nor was the O-Line as bad as Carr made it look

John McClain

✔@McClain_on_NFL

Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes is visiting with Texans tonight and tomorrow

giphy.gif

I'm talking about using the players strengths.

Instead of running our little running backs between the tackles, why weren't we attacking the edges?

Why weren't we using misdirection?

Why weren't we running RB & TE screens?

RBs come into the league making impact almost from day 1. Why were we feeding Lamar Miller like he was the only RB on our roster? Then every time someone else made a play; Grimes, Blue, Hunt... they're quickly shown the bench & we pound Miller up the middle.

I don't know, ask the supposed offensive genius we have coaching this team.

Here's another plan, draft Robinson, Siragusa, Eluemunor and Hill. Give Savage his best opportunity to stay healthy and successful. If this works out, it's O'Brien's plan that works out in the end.

Instead of running our little running backs between the tackles, why weren't we attacking the edges?

RBs come into the league making impact almost from day 1. Why were we feeding Lamar Miller like he was the only RB on our roster? Then every time someone else made a play; Grimes, Blue, Hunt... they're quickly shown the bench & we pound Miller up the middle.

You are speaking my language. I asked these same questions throughout the season Thunderkyss. I just couldn't wrap my head around that at all. All this speed and you're trying to run them up the middle.

I don't think Billy really wants to draft a QB in the first round because he knows the pressure would then be on him to play the guy and make it work.

I don't think Billy has a choice in the matter.

Who I think the Texans will pick at QB after trading up in the 3rd rd. (Joshua Dobbs) Seems like a Ricky pick to me. Not a good fit in BOB's offense. But that wont be a problem since BOB's not going to be here after next yr anyway. The Next HC will be the guy who tells the McNair's he can make Dobbs into a franchise QB. When have I seen this act before?

Good news is Dobbs does have talent to work with, a great work ethic and is a genius level person.

You don't want him even if he turns out to be good?

Remind me not to take you seriously.
It is said by most all the draft nics that this seasons Quarterbacks are projects at best. I would not take the chance of being burned just to say we got a big name Qb in the draft. I would go with the consensus overall on how they percieve Qb draft prospects. While they could be wrong why would you give up several important draft needs to get one of them? Chances are no more than one Qb is taken in the top ten so that leaves us plenty of options. It is a crap shoot as to if the Qb we draft is good or is not injury prone ala Savage any season we draft, but especially on what is seen as a weak QB draft for the most part. If we are talking about a Qb looked at with the same can't miss optimism as Andrew Luck than by all means I am for trading key picks for that Qb but it does not appear that one Qb is in this draft.

Next season is looked upon as one where there could be more depth and talent at the Qb position. In other words we should hold off on any block buster deals for a Qb this season. There are enough needs that we should use the top two picks we have for important pieces aside the Qb position. If we want to add a possible diamond in the coal type pick at Qb that should be this season. As long as we don't bet house money on a trade up to get him. If a Qb we like say gets within 4 or 5 spots of us and it appears he might not slip to our spot that would probably be a trade that would not hurt us too bad. Moving up beyond that will most likely be too high a price to pay.

It is said by most all the draft nics that this seasons Quarterbacks are projects at best. I would not take the chance of being burned just to say we got a big name Qb in the draft. I would go with the consensus overall on how they percieve Qb draft prospects. While they could be wrong why would you give up several important draft needs to get one of them?

Being a "project" is not the same as "backup material."

Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees were all "projects." All the required talent, but missing one thing or another that would make them "sure things" (which aren't always sure things).

There are no sure things in this year's draft class, but plenty of talent & upside. If a team were to invest time & dedication into one of these guys, they very well may develop into a franchise QB.

Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees were all "projects." There are no sure things in this year's draft class, but plenty of talent & upside. If a team were to invest time & dedication into one of these guys, they very well may develop into a franchise QB.

The problem with that is, we're in "win now" mode. Apparently there's no time to groom a qb when you're in "win now" mode...

You are speaking my language. I asked these same questions throughout the season Thunderkyss. I just couldn't wrap my head around that at all. All this speed and you're trying to run them up the middle.

Ben Roethlisberger, Joe Flacco, Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees were all "projects." All the required talent, but missing one thing or another that would make them "sure things" (which aren't always sure things).

There are no sure things in this year's draft class, but plenty of talent & upside. If a team were to invest time & dedication into one of these guys, they very well may develop into a franchise QB.

Then we will be arguing about the QB'S we missed out on again.

I know what a project is and that Projects can turn out great but my point is why trade away a bunch of draft picks for anyone not seen as a sure thing? If our team was to do that I feel that is a mistake in that it is more of a gamble and more times than not you lose when you gamble.

If you disagree I understand but to me nothing short of what many scouts see as an IT Qb or sure thing from the start is worth making a huge jump in the draft to get. There is too much value in keeping as many picks as possible imo. Our need for a franchise Qb should not superceed common sense.

The problem with that is, we're in "win now" mode. Apparently there's no time to groom a qb when you're in "win now" mode...
Grooming a Qb is fine if you don't see a sure thing or Qb's who seem to need less grooming than the ones in a current draft. You don't give away a ton of draft picks without a league wide consensus that the player you want is a sure thing or needs just a little grooming to be special.

We can be in win now mode if we shore up enough weaknesses that obviously need to be filled and can be filled. To me picks are too important. Especially in regards to taking too much of a gamble on a Qb.

We've been "grooming" Savage for going on four years.
Its time to see what we've got.

So to give him the best shot at success you draft to fill holes in the O-line and give the defense more weapons so we can get the ball back if/when he stumbles.

I would also draft another "project" QB to start grooming for the future.

We've been "grooming" Savage for going on four years.
Its time to see what we've got.

So to give him the best shot at success you draft to fill holes in the O-line and give the defense more weapons so we can get the ball back if/when he stumbles.

I would also draft another "project" QB to start grooming for the future.
The Qb class for next season is scene as much better than this season. I say take Davis Webb or another Qb along his lines this season and hopefully get our Franchise Qb next season. That is unless Davis turns out to be a diamond in the ruff ala Dak Prescott.

No one knows with any certainty what next year's qb class will look like until sometime ... next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Y
No one knows with any certainty what next year's qb class will look like until someone ... next year.
You don't know about next year but you do know about this year. And what you do know is that the top three QB's are not a good fit for O'Brians offense. Trubisky, Watson and Mohomes are all only 6'-2". This is not ideal for a pocket passer. They best fit play action and sprint out offenses. So the question is: will OB change his offense; or draft QB's who are drop back pocket passers? In this draft, Kizer, Kaaya and Webb are at least 6'-4" but all of them are at least a two year project. Maybe we don't know for certain about next year, but no one this year rate a first or second round selection - for our offense.

How about Deshaun Watson? 6 foot 2 inches, 221. The two-time Heisman Trophy finalist took the Clemson program to another level, resulting in the school's first national championship in more than 30 years. Watson led his team to the National Championship (4,104 passing yards, 35 passing touchdowns; 1,105 rushing yards, including 12 scores) and won the Davey O'Brien and Payton Manning Awards as the nation's top quarterback. Watson didn't take home as much hardware in 2016, but he still led Clemson to a national title while garnering second-team All-American honors (4,593 yards, 41 TDs, 17 INTs, 67.0 completion pct; 629 yards, nine TDs rushing).

Weaknesses
Frame is a little more slender than teams typically like. Accuracy runs hot and cold. Tends to over-stride on drive throws, causing release point to drop and balls to sail. Ball placement on crossing routes and slants needs to improve. Will leave throws behind intended targets. Deep-ball accuracy has been scatter-shot over his last two seasons at Clemson, with throws sailing well beyond his target. Design of offense limited his need to make full-field reads. Has to become adept at working through progressions and playing chess against safeties. Needs to let routes develop rather than rushing anticipatory throws. Too many interceptions due to lack of vision, placement or decision-making. Threw interception vs. Troy against bracketed coverage he didn't see. Baited into bad-decision interceptions twice by Florida State cornerbacks. Has issues improvising away from initial, pre-snap plan even when pathway to target becomes muddy. Shotgun quarterback who, like Jared Goff, could take time getting used to huddling, pace of play-calling and drop-backs from under center.
NFL Comparison
Marcus Mariota

You don't know about next year but you do know about this year. And what you do know is that the top three QB's are not a good fit for O'Brians offense. Trubisky, Watson and Mohomes are all only 6'-2". This is not ideal for a pocket passer. They best fit play action and sprint out offenses. So the question is: will OB change his offense; or draft QB's who are drop back pocket passers? In this draft, Kizer, Kaaya and Webb are at least 6'-4" but all of them are at least a two year project. Maybe we don't know for certain about next year, but no one this year rate a first or second round selection - for our offense.

Ideal schmideal, I believe Mahomes and Trubisky can consistently make throws from the pocket and plays while extending time from it.

I know that for certain as much as I do any guarantee that next year will deliver some super crop of franchise QB's.

I know what a project is and that Projects can turn out great but my point is why trade away a bunch of draft picks for anyone not seen as a sure thing? If our team was to do that I feel that is a mistake in that it is more of a gamble and more times than not you lose when you gamble.

If you disagree I understand but to me nothing short of what many scouts see as an IT Qb or sure thing from the start is worth making a huge jump in the draft to get. There is too much value in keeping as many picks as possible imo. Our need for a franchise Qb should not superceed common sense.

I agree with you. I'd be shocked if the Texans traded up to get "their QB" at the same time I will take it to mean they believe that QB is special, the way the Steelers thought Roethlisberger was special. The way the Ravens thought Flacco was special. It might turn out like Washington trading up for RGIII, which was side tracked by poor decisions, or like Cutler... a poor decision to begin with.

At least I hope they do it because they love the guy & not trying to make something happen... if they do it.

But to take a guy at 25... I don't know how anyone could be upset with that... the blue chips are gone by then.

No one knows with any certainty what next year's qb class will look like until someone ... next year.
All I know is this one is seen as not that deep in talent. Chances are next season will provide more depth talent wise.

Regardless, trading away half or more draft picks to move up is stupid and has proven to be so in seasons past.

Ideal schmideal, I believe Mahomes and Trubisky can consistently make throws from the pocket and plays while extending time from it.

I know that for certain as much as I do any guarantee that next year will deliver some super crop of franchise QB's.
When you're a team like the Texans starving for a decent QB, it behooves them to draft one every year until they find one.
Doesn't have to be R1. every time but needs to be somewhat high.

Last edited:
I agree with you. I'd be shocked if the Texans traded up to get "their QB" at the same time I will take it to mean they believe that QB is special, the way the Steelers thought Roethlisberger was special. The way the Ravens thought Flacco was special. It might turn out like Washington trading up for RGIII, which was side tracked by poor decisions, or like Cutler... a poor decision to begin with.

At least I hope they do it because they love the guy & not trying to make something happen... if they do it.

But to take a guy at 25... I don't know how anyone could be upset with that... the blue chips are gone by then.
I was thinking more along the lines of a trade into the top 10 which would cost way more than it would be worth.

If they stand pat they will likely get a quality starter at 25.

I'm sure you mentioned already, but I forget. How far are you willing to trade up?

All I know is this one is seen as not that deep in talent. Chances are next season will provide more depth talent wise.

Regardless, trading away half or more draft picks to move up is stupid and has proven to be so in seasons past.

- How does that prevent us from snatching a quality qb early this year?

- I didn't promote doing any such trading.

I was thinking more along the lines of a trade into the top 10 which would cost way more than it would be worth.

If they stand pat they will likely get a quality starter at 25.

If they believe the guy is a franchise QB I hope they make the deal & go get him. If you've got good coaches, they should be able to get a quality starter in the 2nd or 3rd.

I won't blame them if they don't believe any of these guys are franchise QBs. Just like in 2014. But I'd be upset if they drafted a guy in the 5th round & signed bum after bum to start ahead of him year after year.

Just like 2014, we have a real need.

Depends on for who and for how much.
Well....?
Who would you trade up for and what assets would you be willing to spend for the guy(s) you like?
IOW is there some one you'd trade up into the top five for? top ten?
If so, whommmm might that be
:)

Edit: Not just you, anyone.

Well....?
Who would you trade up for and what assets would you be willing to spend for the guy(s) you like?
IOW is there some one you'd trade up into the top five for? top ten?
If so, whommmm might that be
:)

I'd trade up for either Trubisky or Mahomes, the former a bit more than the latter.

I'd give up something in the ballpark of 1,500 points for Trubisky and maybe half or so of that for Mahomes. But I admittedly haven't thought that through with any real conviction and consider that the kind of idea that, with any regard to legitimacy, would be dealt with more negotiably depending on who's asking and when. These things are only argued in vacuums on message boards of course.

Depends on for who and for how much.

I really think the first QB off the board is at 6 to the Jets then 12 to Cleveland.

I get the idea that the Jets like Watson. Cleveland I have no idea but that will leave one of Mahomes or Trubisky with no QB hungry teams between 12-25. You just have to be wary of those needy teams jumping in front of the Texans like happened twice before with Bottledwater & JimmyG recently.

If you only like one of the two you have to get in front of Cleveland , moving to 11.

If you are content with either of the two , maybe a deal with one of the four NFC teams between 13-19 keeping those other QB desperate teams from jumping ahead of you.

I just don't see getting ahead of the Jets so you aren't getting your pick of the litter .... New Orleans at 11 is probably as far as they can reasonably get without giving up the entire farm.

I really hope Watson goes to the Jets , Trubisky to Cleveland .... leaving Mahomes for the Texans.

Just talking hypothetical, I think if Watson goes 4 to the jaguars or 6 to the Jets, I believe Browns will move up to 8 or 9 to get mitch because apparently they really like him, this is the only scenario I see the Texans trading up either at 10,11 or 12 to pick mahomes before the cardinals, I also believe the Texans dont like kizer.

If we take a guy at 25 just to keep fans optimistic about the future, I will be upset. If OB is not onboard with the QB we select, I will be upset. The Texans (McNair) needs to stop with draft ultimatums to keep fans happy.

I disagree with your assessment of all the blue chippers being gone at 25. This draft is likely to end up with more talent than even 2011, at every position except QB and OT. It is likely that Peppers, Melifonwu, Mumphrey, and many other typical "blue chippers" will be available at 25. Prospects that are typically top 10 picks in average drafts will fall even into the 2nd round.

So yes, if we draft a QB or an OT that would typically go in the 3rd round over DBs that would typically go top 10, I will be upset.

Just talking hypothetical, I think if Watson goes 4 to the jaguars or 6 to the Jets, I believe Browns will move up to 8 or 9 to get mitch because apparently they really like him, this is the only scenario I see the Texans trading up either at 10,11 or 12 to pick mahomes before the cardinals, I also believe the Texans dont like kizer.

I don't see Jax picking a QB , Bortles has a lot of potential .... just has to be a little more careful with the ball. I expect him to have a solid year.

NYJ I fully expect to take a QB assuming Cleveland , SF and Chicago take the highly rated position players as expected , the Jets will get their pick of the QB litter.

SF & Chicago can throw a monkey wrench into the mix if either of them take a QB at 2 or 3. If that happens I don't expect any of Mahomes , Watson or Trubisky to last beyond the 12th pick. The Texans would be left looking at a board with Kizer , Peterman , Webb none of which warrant a first round pick .... at least in my opinion. They'd be better suited going in another direction in that scenario , either OT or maybe LB if a guy like Cunningham makes it to them (He's my favorite defensive player in this draft) waiting for the 3rd round to pick up a QB and if they don't like their options at that point , piss everyone off and don't pick a QB until Beathard in the 6th.

I don't see Jax picking a QB , Bortles has a lot of potential .... just has to be a little more careful with the ball. I expect him to have a solid year.

NYJ I fully expect to take a QB assuming Cleveland , SF and Chicago take the highly rated position players as expected , the Jets will get their pick of the QB litter.

SF & Chicago can throw a monkey wrench into the mix if either of them take a QB at 2 or 3. If that happens I don't expect any of Mahomes , Watson or Trubisky to last beyond the 12th pick. The Texans would be left looking at a board with Kizer , Peterman , Webb none of which warrant a first round pick .... at least in my opinion. They'd be better suited going in another direction in that scenario , either OT or maybe LB if a guy like Cunningham makes it to them (He's my favorite defensive player in this draft) waiting for the 3rd round to pick up a QB and if they don't like their options at that point , piss everyone off and don't pick a QB until Beathard in the 6th.

Agreed

If I had to pick a LB in this draft for the Texans he would be Reddick.

All this speculation that teams are going to overdraft at QB is off base in my opinion. None of the QB's in this class rate a top ten pick. Cleveland at 12 is the likeliest team to draft a QB this high, simply because it is their second pick. These other QB needy teams will select another need position which rates the value of the pick, then will be looking to trade back up into the bottom of the first, where these QB's are valued. If it were to work out this way, the Texans could be sitting pretty with the opportunity to trade down, for those of us who are still looking to draft OT with our pick.

Last edited:
From ESPN's @DickersonESPN
"Texans did express mild interest in Cutler"https://t.co/QeDzd97yOF pic.twitter.com/ZIgbXj17ts

— Alex Del Barrio (@alexdelbarrio) April 18, 2017
The complete tweet reads....
Actually, the Texans did express mild interest in Cutler, but coach Bill O’Brien preferred Tom Savage. After last year’s Brock Osweiler debacle, Houston’s front office wanted to defer to O’Brien, and the Cutler talks fizzled.
yeah, O'Brien has no input.
:rolleyes:

The complete tweet reads....
Actually, the Texans did express mild interest in Cutler, but coach Bill O’Brien preferred Tom Savage. After last year’s Brock Osweiler debacle, Houston’s front office wanted to defer to O’Brien, and the Cutler talks fizzled.
yeah, O'Brien has no input.
:rolleyes:

He's being forced to start Tom Savage.

Cunningham good but I have Jordan Willis at 57.

Back