Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

The complete tweet reads....
Actually, the Texans did express mild interest in Cutler, but coach Bill O’Brien preferred Tom Savage. After last year’s Brock Osweiler debacle, Houston’s front office wanted to defer to O’Brien, and the Cutler talks fizzled.
yeah, O'Brien has no input.
:rolleyes:

The way I read it sounds like "Houstons front office wanted to defer to OBrien this time.

:coffee:

There is a Mahomes and Watson thread, does that mean there is no interest in Trubisky? Or is that people presume he'll be gone but Watson and Mahomes might be there at 25?

There is a Mahomes and Watson thread, does that mean there is no interest in Trubisky? Or is that people presume he'll be gone but Watson and Mahomes might be there at 25?

More than likely trubisky will be long gone by 25. Or at least that's what everybody expects to happen.

FWIW, I have him behind Watson and Mahomes.

I'm also pretty open to Peterman and Bearthard.

Dobbs is intriguing to me.

Trubisky worries me.

General consensus has the Houston Texans taking a quarterback in the first round, yet this belief is not universal from all intimate with the situation. More on the Texans below as well as an update on Indiana guard Dan Feeney.

Once the Houston Texans lost out on the services of Tony Romo, who announced his retirement several weeks ago, everyone automatically assumed the team would select a quarterback in the first round. And the name bandied about has been Patrick Mahomes of Texas Tech.

Yet there’s a faction of people I’ve spoken with who are close to the organization and believe the Texans won’t draft a quarterback in the first round for a variety of reasons.

Foremost is the belief that head coach Bill O’Brien, as well as the Texans front office, must win in 2017. The front office can’t risk using the 25th selection of the draft on a developmental quarterback -- the team must select a player who will offer production quickly this season.

They point to Houston drafting a left tackle or cornerback in the first round rather than a signal caller. Both are positions of need, and the players selected could have an immediate impact.

There’s also a feeling that Tom Savage will be seamless in his transition to being an every-week starter. He understands the system, has the pedigree and -- most importantly -- has the trust of O’Brien.

Could the Mahomes-to-Houston story be a smoke screen? If Mahomes is available when the Texans are called to the clock, will they pass up his long-term potential for short-term gains? Many feel the answer is yes to both questions.

http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-april-18-qb-not-lock-texans-round-1

Eric Galko‏ @OptimumScouting

They'd love Mahomes, but he won't be there at 25. Without a '18 2nd, can't trade multiple picks to get him. Kizer a target in 2nd. #Texans
8:21 AM · Apr 18, 2017

All this speculation that teams are going to overdraft at QB is off base in my opinion. None of the QB's in this class rate a top ten pick. Cleveland at 12 is the likeliest team to draft a QB this high, simply because it is their second pick. These other QB needy teams will select another need position which rates the value of the pick, then will be looking to trade back up into the bottom of the first, where these QB's are valued. If it were to work out this way, the Texans could be sitting pretty with the opportunity to trade down, for those of us who are still looking to draft OT with our pick.

For the record , I think most of these guys have some positives and negatives.

Trubisky Physical tools , flawless mechanics , not much of a resume to back it up

Kizer has all the physical tools , but has been up then down.

Mahomes "System QB" "Gunslinger" questionable mechanics. Just makes plays.

Watson - Turnovers - NCAA Champ

Webb - Couldn't beat out Mahomes.

Peterman - Great mechanics , pro offense , not physically gifted.

But that doesn't mean they are over drafted if they are taken ahead of players who may grade out higher at other positions because a QB who grades out at 80 has a greater impact on a teams chances of winning than a player at any other position who may grade out in the high 90's , hell that 80 grade QB probably has a greater impact than any two players at any other position on the field.
This is a QB driven league , the rules have been manipulated in recent years so that teams with a quality QB have a distinct advantage over those that don't , You aren't going to see another 85 Bears team win with defense and a scrubby QB. The rules have just changed too much , too far in favor of the offensive players that a team without that quality QB is at such a severe disadvantage that they are essentially playing by two separate sets of rules.

The Texans have drafted a total of 7 QB's in their history , only 1 of those came before the 3rd round.

2002 - 1:1 HWSNBM
2003 - 3:88 Dave Ragone
2003 - 6:192 Drew Henson
2004 - 7:248 BJ Simmons
2008 - 7:223 Alex Brink
2011 - 5:152 TJ Yates
2014 - 4:135 Tom Savage

Here we are in 2017 and still have no answer what so ever at the position. You can forgive them for not spending resources on the position while they had a healthy Schaub but they've been sailing a ship without a rudder since 2012 .... and all they've put into the position is a measly 4th round pick while bringing in rejects and a colossal flop and getting the same results out of an otherwise very strong team.

They simply have to solve the position if they expect to be a contending franchise .... contending meaning getting within sniffing distance of a Lombardi Trophy , not just having a slightly better than .500 winning percentage.
To solve that riddle , they have to be willing to expend some resources and stop "waiting for next year" rinse repeat. They attempted that in free agency last season with the Blundering Wizard of Os , even if it was a total failure. Have to expect that they will be just as willing to expend draft resources on the position for a guy with significant upside in the near future.

Doing what they have over the course of the franchise , not investing quality draft choices in the position , Aside from 2002 1:1 and the 2x2's for Schaub a decade ago has lead them to where they are now , what got them into this predicament wont get them out of it .... They have to do something different or expect the same kind of results.

Ten Years , Three draft picks , all 4th round or lower at the most important position in all of team sports - What do you expect ?!

They also have to realize that its going to take time for a player to come in and develop , none of them , even the best prospects come in right away and excel - Never has a rookie QB has ever started a Super Bowl.
The longer they put off solving the issue , the longer we have to wait for that tree to bear fruit. Every year they put it off is another year wasted ....

Last edited:

Trubisky Physical tools , flawless mechanics , not much of a resume to back it up

But that doesn't mean they are over drafted if they are taken ahead of players who may grade out higher at other positions because a QB who grades out at 80 has a greater impact on a teams chances of winning than a player at any other position who may grade out in the high 90's , hell that 80 grade QB probably has a greater impact than any two players at any other position on the field.
This is a QB driven league , the rules have been manipulated in recent years so that teams with a quality QB have a distinct advantage over those that don't , You aren't going to see another 85 Bears team win with defense and a scrubby QB. The rules have just changed too much , too far in favor of the offensive players that a team without that quality QB is at such a severe disadvantage that they are essentially playing by two separate sets of rules.

The Texans have drafted a total of 7 QB's in their history , only 1 of those came before the 3rd round.

Here we are in 2017 and still have no answer what so ever at the position. You can forgive them for not spending resources on the position while they had a healthy Schaub but they've been sailing a ship without a rudder since 2012 .... and all they've put into the position is a measly 4th round pick while bringing in rejects and a colossal flop and getting the same results out of an otherwise very strong team.

They simply have to solve the position if they expect to be a contending franchise .... contending meaning getting within sniffing distance of a Lombardi Trophy , not just having a slightly better than .500 winning percentage.
To solve that riddle , they have to be willing to expend some resources and stop "waiting for next year" rinse repeat. They attempted that in free agency last season with the Blundering Wizard of Os , even if it was a total failure. Have to expect that they will be just as willing to expend draft resources on the position for a guy with significant upside in the near future.

Doing what they have over the course of the franchise , not investing quality draft choices in the position , Aside from 2002 1:1 and the 2x2's for Schaub a decade ago has lead them to where they are now , what got them into this predicament wont get them out of it .... They have to do something different or expect the same kind of results.

Ten Years , Three draft picks , all 4th round or lower at the most important position in all of team sports - What do you expect ?!

They also have to realize that its going to take time for a player to come in and develop , none of them , even the best prospects come in right away and excel - Never has a rookie QB has ever started a Super Bowl.
The longer they put off solving the issue , the longer we have to wait for that tree to bear fruit. Every year they put it off is another year wasted ....
I agree with a lot of this, but I'm not hung up on draft position. IMO, either Yates or Savage could be above average QBs given the chance. It looks like we'll have a chance to see with Savage, regardless of the Texans drafting a QB this year and regardless of round taken.

You've changed my way of thinking on this subject over the yrs. I now agree with you. It makes me sad to see God'ell change the game so much that we will never see another great team defense like the 85 Bears or the old LT NYG defenses. Closest thing in this era has been the Seahawks defense and FA hurt their depth to the point where they've become a shell of their former selves.

Like they were in 2014?

I'm pretty sure we aren't taking a QB in the first round. I almost believe we'll take on in the second. But if I were betting money, I'm betting it will be Cleveland's compensatory 4th or later.

Knowing the kind of offence we like to put on the field the smart move would be to draft a kicker in the first round
Give us a better chance to put points on the board

Mahomes senses heightened interest from Texans' O'Brien
Published: April 19, 2017 at 3 p.m.
It hasn't been easy for Patrick Mahomes to get a read on which teams like him the most, but Texans coach Bill O'Brien is one he has a strong feeling about. Mahomes was in Houston to meet with Texans officials Monday, and amid reports that O'Brien is a big fan of the former Texas Tech quarterback, Mahomes got a similar sense himself.

"I feel like a lot of coaches like me, but especially coach O'Brien. I think my personality and how real I am, those are things beyond what I can do on the field that he likes," Mahomes said. "It seemed like the way I was answering questions, I think he knew that I knew what was going on. You can tell when coaches have a confidence in you."

Hmm.. Interesting via NFL.com btw
Full story in link below

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/mahomes

Last edited:
Mahomes senses heightened interest from Texans' O'Brien
Published: April 19, 2017 at 3 p.m.
It hasn't been easy for Patrick Mahomes to get a read on which teams like him the most, but Texans coach Bill O'Brien is one he has a strong feeling about. Mahomes was in Houston to meet with Texans officials Monday, and amid reports that O'Brien is a big fan of the former Texas Tech quarterback, Mahomes got a similar sense himself.

"I feel like a lot of coaches like me, but especially coach O'Brien. I think my personality and how real I am, those are things beyond what I can do on the field that he likes," Mahomes said. "It seemed like the way I was answering questions, I think he knew that I knew what was going on. You can tell when coaches have a confidence in you."

Hmm.. Interesting via NFL.com btw
Full story in link below

http://www.nfl.com/labs/rr/pathtothedraft/mahomes

Too bad O'b doesn't get a say in who we draft.

really? I haven't watched any college football but from what others say when talking about Mahomes he wouldn't have struck me as the kind of QB OB likes

Mahomes is the anti Blundering Wizard of Os .... His accuracy and use of touch are spectacular. He puts balls right where it needs to be with the proper speed where only the receiver can make a play on it and usually has a chance to make some yac after .... Seeing a QB with a rocket arm with that type of touch is rare , most of them want to chuck everything in there at high velocity.

I really don't get the gunslinger thing with Mahomes ... it just doesn't fit , aside from the fact that he played in a spread system.

You honestly don't think he has a say, actually a lot of input, in who we do or decide not to draft at the QB position ?

No. I actually think it's silly to believe he isn't complicit in every decision the Texans have made since he's been here. His mark is unmistakably bold as day.

So when I see a report where O'b is portrayed as doing his part in the process, I say something that hopefully highlights how silly the idea that he doesn't is.

Wait a minute.
Did you just contradict yourself with your new post about Mahomes???

Mahomes is the anti Blundering Wizard of Os .... His accuracy and use of touch are spectacular. He puts balls right where it needs to be with the proper speed where only the receiver can make a play on it and usually has a chance to make some yac after .... Seeing a QB with a rocket arm with that type of touch is rare , most of them want to chuck everything in there at high velocity.

I really don't get the gunslinger thing with Mahomes ... it just doesn't fit , aside from the fact that he played in a spread system.
This one.

I don't think Willis is going to last that long. I think willis is going bottom 1st early 2nd.
perhaps but I don't remember a mock with Willis above 57. Of course that can change next few days and I think he is good enough to be top of 2nd or late first. I think he can replace Clowney when that time comes and he is 6'4" 255 with a 4.53 40..reminds me of JD

Been saying that since I first watched him.

His decision making actually isn't wild like some make it out to be.

He is unorthodox in how he gets it done but he's not out there running all over the place not staying in the pocket and making ill advised plays down field.

It's why I never agreed with the Manziel comparison. They are not alike at all imo.

You've changed my way of thinking on this subject over the yrs. I now agree with you. It makes me sad to see God'ell change the game so much that we will never see another great team defense like the 85 Bears or the old LT NYG defenses. Closest thing in this era has been the Seahawks defense and FA hurt their depth to the point where they've become a shell of their former selves.
I thought helped change your mind also. Its just the new era,thats all. Had the texans taken carr,bortles,or jimmy, I think they would be a much better team today.

I thought helped change your mind also. Its just the new era,thats all. Had the texans taken carr,bortles,or jimmy, I think they would be a much better team today.

BTW, if it was my team I would try to trade with the Pats giving up a 1 and a 2 this yr and a 1 in 2018.

I believe Jimmy G is a young Romo type QB without the choking.

That's a funny way to sabotage a guy. Then again O'b did handpick Hoyer.

I didn't say McNair is trying to sabotage BOB. Ricky is, don't believe me, tell me what Ricky has done in FA this yr that you/I haven't? Unlike the other 31 teams in the NFL.

I didn't say McNair is trying to sabotage BOB. Ricky is, don't believe me, tell me what Ricky has done in FA this yr that you/I haven't? Unlike the other 31 teams in the NFL.

The offseason is far from over .... Maybe they have an ace in the hole that they are saving that cap space for. Maybe they make a deal for a QB .... still lots of possibilities out there and a whole lot of free agents who could help this team ..... 10 days after the draft.

I'm not much of a Tricky Rick fan .... But he's fielded some pretty damn solid teams around the garbage they have at QB .... that are on OB in Fitzy and Hoyerable as well as the smoldering pile of poo that was the Blundering Wizard of Os (Its unknown who's idea that was).

Even if we roll with Savage and Weeden, which is a very real possibility, we need another QB. Do we sign Keenum or Yates just to have "experience", do we draft a round player (whether its round 1 or undrafted). The suspense is killing me.

Even if we roll with Savage and Weeden, which is a very real possibility, we need another QB. Do we sign Keenum or Yates just to have "experience", do we draft a round player (whether its round 1 or undrafted). The suspense is killing me.
Considering Keenum and Yates are both signed with other teams that would be kind of hard to do

BTW, if it was my team I would try to trade with the Pats giving up a 1 and a 2 this yr and a 1 in 2018.

I believe Jimmy G is a young Romo type QB without the choking.

This IMO would just be more of the same, chasing the QB savior. We had Fitz, who played decent considering it was the first year for the entire offense in a new system, but he wasn't good enough for the all knowledgeable Texans fans, so McNair ran him off because he was just a place holder, not a "SB QB". BOB brought in Hoyer but the fans didn't like him from the start, so in comes our 1st savior - Mallet. He was a head case who should have never been brought here, but the fans loved him and had hope he was the future. Hoyer tanked (who wouldn't have with most of the city calling for his job before he even took a snap) and Mallet couldn't set an alarm. Since Texans fans deserve more, McNair gave Rick an ultimatum to go out and do whatever it takes to get the Texans fans a QB along with drafting and bringing in FA speed to compliment our new shiny QB. In comes our 2nd savior - Oz, and we add tons of redundant speed on offense, thus the Texans are primed for years of SB runs, right?

I don't want to throw the farm at another untested QB. I wouldn't even throw that package at Cousins who is tested.

QBs are like religion. All fans are experts and know the QB they support is the truth while everyone else is wrong. Truth is no one knows, but if your patient and keep doing the right things, good things will come over time.

QBs are like religion. All fans are experts and know the QB they support is the truth while everyone else is wrong. Truth is no one knows, but if your patient and keep doing the right things, good things will come over time.

How much time you got?

No. I actually think it's silly to believe he isn't complicit in every decision the Texans have made since he's been here. His mark is unmistakably bold as day.

So when I see a report where O'b is portrayed as doing his part in the process, I say something that hopefully highlights how silly the idea that he doesn't is.
I tried to warn you.
use this...

:sarcasm:

Back