Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

Not Me. I'm sick of going into every year knowing that this team will be an also ran ..... that they have no chance at a Lombardi Trophy.

I want a string of consecutive seasons where going in , we believe they have a shot at winning it all .... if we win one , great.

I've had it with 9-7 and knowing we're going nowhere past the 2nd round.

In my mind, beating the Steelers, Patriots, & Chiefs in the regular season, would feel better going into the playoffs than if we were blown out by those three teams, went 12-4.

I think we did that 12-4 only to get blown out thing. Didn't feel any better than 9-7... to me.

In my mind, beating the Steelers, Patriots, & Chiefs in the regular season, would feel better going into the playoffs than if we were blown out by those three teams, went 12-4.

I think we did that 12-4 only to get blown out thing. Didn't feel any better than 9-7... to me.

If we go into the season with this defense and a competent quarterback , I expect to win our share of those games ... AND progress deep into the playoffs.

An AFC Championship game or a Superbowl appearance , win or lose ..... sure beats another 9-7 season getting trounced in the second round , knowing from the outset that this was the best we could hope for. Knowing we never had a snowballs chance in hell.

Savage , Weeden , Hoyerable , FitzTragic .... that leads to 9-7 and knowing from the get go you don't have a chance in January. Had enough of that crap no matter who we beat in the regular season.

Lombardi Trophy or bust.

I'd take a wildcard win over the Pats and then lose in the division round over getting to the AFC championship and lose to the pats

There's a million of scenarios where we can get to the AFC Championship by luck (like last year vs the Raiders with the injury to Carr)

but if we manage to beat the Pats in the playoffs it means at least the team is progressing

If a QB is an absolute must, then I'm taking Kelly. His 2015 season would make him a RD1 pick in this years draft...even with the baggage. He possesses all the tools needed to be successful from an athletic standpoint. He needs a year of being on the PS or wearing a ball cap on Sunday's while he adjusts to a bit of humblng, learning an NFL offense and most of all maturing.

The fact that his off-field foolishness could lead to him dropping in the draft and losing lots of money means Uncle Jim will probably come in and counsel him on what he's going to need to do to push himself to the top again. Yeah, if there's any QB I'm going to roll the dice on, it's Kelly. I'd be ok with getting a RD1 QB in RD5 or RD6.

If we go into the season with this defense and a competent quarterback , I expect to win our share of those games ... AND progress deep into the playoffs.

An AFC Championship game or a Superbowl appearance , win or lose ..... sure beats another 9-7 season getting trounced in the second round , knowing from the outset that this was the best we could hope for. Knowing we never had a snowballs chance in hell.

Savage , Weeden , Hoyerable , FitzTragic .... that leads to 9-7 and knowing from the get go you don't have a chance in January. Had enough of that crap no matter who we beat in the regular season.

Lombardi Trophy or bust.

Getting trounced in the 2nd rd seems to be a Texans tradition. Whether Schaub/Kubiak, BOB/Whatever crap he throws out there at QB is at the helm.

I was originally vehemently against Watson at the start of the offseason because of the turnover thing. However this defense has shown last year that it can put up with turnovers from the offense to a degree, what it can't do is carry an offense that doesn't score points. If Watson helps the offense gets points on the boards in spite of his turnovers, then I'd be ok with the pick. Obviously I'd prefer a QB that doesn't turn the ball over frequently, I still have nightmares of Hoyer v. Chiefs. My preferred QB in the draft is still Petermen, but I won't flip my **** if they take Watson.

This is where I'm at with Watson. Plus some of the mistakes Watson makes can be corrected with coaching. BOB should be able to help Watson really improve. With that said, Kelly/Mahomes are the only 2 QB's I really want out of this yrs draft.

Impossible not to like Watson's intangibles. Total gamer.

But, with the turnovers and the questions about his arm strength and factoring in aalllll the plays the Wayne Gallman's and Jordan Leggett's and Artavis Scott's and Mike William's made at Clemson ... it's almost like questioning how would Dak do on a team not as set up for him as Dallas.

I'm just not sold on Deshaun. Not enough to pass early on one or two more likely impactful players first anyway.

I bet Kelly goes undrafted.

Kizer I would pass on , wouldn't take him in the 3rd , much prefer Peterman to him.

If Kelly went undrafted....that would make me pretty happy! That's another pick I can throw at the OL while getting one of the gifted QB's in this years draft as an UDFA. More than likely, that would also allow the team to stash him on the PS for a season instead of using a roster spot while he goes through the process of maturing and learning the art of becoming an NFL QB. That would be considered a coup.

If Kelly went undrafted....that would make me pretty happy! That's another pick I can throw at the OL while getting one of the gifted QB's in this years draft as an UDFA. More than likely, that would also allow the team to stash him on the PS for a season instead of using a roster spot while he goes through the process of maturing and learning the art of becoming an NFL QB. That would be considered a coup.

If Kelly was undrafted, why in the world would he want to sign here?

Cause the Texans QB's suck .... there is no place he would have a better chance of getting on the field.

I Can see that if we take no other qb... but not sure he will if we do take 1 early. And our guru ain't been so hot and the front office is a disaster. Maybe we will overpay but still, would you want to go to a place as much qb hell as Cleveland? Texans rapidly approaching that point as far as qb deadland

I Can see that if we take no other qb... but not sure he will if we do take 1 early. And our guru ain't been so hot and the front office is a disaster. Maybe we will overpay but still, would you want to go to a place as much qb hell as Cleveland? Texans rapidly approaching that point as far as qb deadland

I think we have surpassed their level of QB ineptitude .... We have started more players at the position in the last 5 years if I'm not mistaken and we had a historically piss poor QB for much if not all of last season .... Savage was no more competent than Os.

Would you trade up for any of the QB's, if so for who?

No , I think they are all a crap shoot and would only take one who fell in my lap ....

The Browns may be rounding the corner in regards to how they are preparing for their next "Franchise QB" investment. It seems they have realized that their past approach has bore no fruit and therefore decided to change the game plan this year. It's a real shame that our FO has maintained 15 years of ineptitude when it comes to their approach at QB and what should be in place or be in place shortly after the investment in a QB is made. When does this change RS?

If Kelly was undrafted, why in the world would he want to sign here?

His best opportunity for earning a starting NFL QB job may be with the Texans. Texans could be financially free of every QB on the roster come 2018. I'd be willing to bet that Uncle Jim would also recommend Houston as a great landing spot for an UDFA like Kelly. Again, let something like this happen and Kelly might wind up being one of those draft day situations that folks talk about for a long time.

what kind of off the field issues are we talking about?

anything like the issues Manziel had(has)?

Got in a fight with a bouncer at a bar and threatened to comeback with an AK-47 and shoot up the place. (He didn't go back to the place.)

His brother got cheapshotted a his HS football game and Kelly tried to go on the field to defend his brother.

It appears Kelly has a temper. (He's Irish, I've got a lot of Irish in me) so I understand his propensity for drinking/fighting. You grow out of it.

Kelly has an edge you want in your QB. That edge allows you (Ole Miss) to go into Alabama/LSU and win games very few teams are able to do.

Got in a fight with a bouncer at a bar and threatened to comeback with an AK-47 and shoot up the place. (He didn't go back to the place.)

His brother got cheapshotted a his HS football game and Kelly tried to go on the field to defend his brother.

It appears Kelly has a temper. (He's Irish, I've got a lot of Irish in me) so I understand his propensity for drinking/fighting. You grow out of it.

Kelly has an edge you want in your QB. That edge allows you (Ole Miss) to go into Alabama/LSU and win games very few teams are able to do.

at least the draft this year will definitely be more interesting than last year

what kind of off the field issues are we talking about?

anything like the issues Manziel had(has)?

Well Manziel's biggest problem was that his game didn't translate from college to the pro's (which shouldn't be an issue with Kelly). However, to your question, Manziel had extremely serious substance abuse and attitude issues. His substance abuse was well chronicled even in college. Kelly doesn't appear to suffer from that level of substance abuse but he does suffer from a serious lack of decision making that makes you question his character.

He was suspended multiple times in high school for arguing with coaches and had to transfer high schools after getting kicked off the team. Also got kicked off the Clemson football team for multiple confrontations with coaches, culminating with him getting into a screaming match with head coach Dabo Swinney during the middle of the spring game. After transferring to Ole Miss he got arrested for assaulting a bouncer and threatening him and was charged with disorderly conduct. As a 22-year old adult in college he charged the field at a high school football game and attempted to fight high school kids after his brother took a late hit during a game. There were rumors at Clemson that he was a heavy marijuana user and a photo of him rolling a blunt was leaked some time during his time at Ole Miss. I personally don't have issue with marijuana but the NFL does drug test so that could be an issue. He also has ADD and Ole Miss had to simplify the verbiage in their offensive calls and most of the calls came in from the sideline. That could be an issue in the NFL.

Last edited:
Well Manziel's biggest problem was that his game didn't translate from college to the pro's (which shouldn't be an issue with Kelly). However, to your question, Manziel had extremely serious substance abuse and attitude issues. His substance abuse was well chronicled even in college. Kelly doesn't appear to suffer from that level of substance abuse but he does suffer from a serious lack of decision making that makes you question his character.

He was suspended multiple times in high school for arguing with coaches and got kicked off the Clemson football team for multiple confrontations with coaches. After transferring to Ole Miss he got arrested for assaulting a bouncer and threatening him and was charged with disorderly conduct. As a 22-year old adult in college he charged the field at a high school football game and attempted to fight high school kids after his brother took a late hit during a game. There were rumors at Clemson that he was a heavy marijuana user and a photo of him rolling a blunt was leaked some time during his time at Ole Miss. I personally don't have issue with marijuana but the NFL does drug test so that could be an issue. He also has ADD and Ole Miss had to simplify the verbiage in their offensive calls and most of the calls came in from the sideline. That could be an issue in the NFL.

The only thing that you listed that bothers me is the ADD and learning BOB's offense. But he could sit behind Romo/Savage for a couple of yrs and learn the offense like Rodgers did.

With that said, Kelly will never be on a Bob McNair owned team.

The only thing that you listed that bothers me is the ADD and learning BOB's offense. But he could sit behind Romo/Savage for a couple of yrs and learn the offense like Rodgers did.

With that said, Kelly will never be on a Bob McNair owned team.

It doesn't really surprise me that you have no issue with his pattern of clashing with coaches. The only coaches he's ever gotten along with was his second high school coach (who was an acquaintance of Jim Kelly) and Hugh Freeze (who is a complete enabler that just got his program put on probation).

You like him. I get it. But after the Oz stuff I'd guesstimate that Kelly and O'Brien would have about a 1% chance of co-existing. Both are hot heads and in that equation the head coach is the boss and I don't see Kelly being mature enough to handle that scenario.

It doesn't really surprise me that you have no issue with his pattern of clashing with coaches. The only coaches he's ever gotten along with was his second high school coach (who was an acquaintance of Jim Kelly) and Hugh Freeze (who is a complete enabler that just got his program put on probation).

You like him. I get it. But after the Oz stuff I'd guesstimate that Kelly and O'Brien would have about a 1% chance of co-existing. Both are hot heads and in that equation the head coach is the boss and I don't see Kelly being mature enough to handle that scenario.

I think you draft him late, let him learn for a couple of yrs and if he cant get along with BOB next yr you cut him and move on to drafting a QB high in next yrs draft. A better class in most experts opinions. The ACL/ADD issues bother me more than anything else.

Kelly was also kicked out of Clemson, went JUCO for a year (he's mentioned on that Netflix special about East Mississippi CC), and ended up at Ole Miss.

Deshone Kizer Pro Day reacatons

Here’s some reaction from Kizer’s performance.

✔@JeffRisdon

No. 1 takeaway from talking w/ NFL scout today about Kizer/ND--the talent level around him fell off a cliff, he shouldn't be knocked for it

Matt Miller

✔@nfldraftscout

Just had a scout text me that Kizer was throwing to "scrubs" today and to throw out any accuracy complaints.

✔@ESPNNFL

"He's got a big time arm... We knew that about him. But it was good to see the footwork improvement." - McShay on DeShone Kizer's pro day

✔ @NFLMedia

Following Notre Dame Pro Day, @MikeMayock spoke w/ head coach Brian Kelly: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap3000000794799/Brian-Kelly-DeShone-Kizer-has-all-the-features-to-be-a-leader-at-the-next-level …

✔@NFLMedia

Notre Dame HC Brian Kelly on DeShone Kizer: "I loved his presence today. He took control of the drills."

Follow
Jordan Strack

✔@JordanStrack

Talked to Todd McShay. Said Kizer certainly looked better today than he did at the Combine. Still believes late 1st or early 2nd is likely.

Follow
Chris Emma

✔@CEmma670

DeShone Kizer is throwing the ball well at Notre Dame pro day. He's working mostly under center to show his abilities in a pro-style system

Would anyone be against moving up to 12 with Cleveland if trubisky falls? This year's first and third and next year's first??????

Would anyone be against moving up to 12 with Cleveland if trubisky falls? This year's first and third and next year's first??????

I do dig Trubisky. But man I don't know if I'm sold to that degree. No 1st or 2nd next year? Think I'd feel better hoping either Mahomes or Peterman fall to us and we keep assets.

Again, like Trubes and can appreciate wanting to solve the QB puzzle that much ... just not quite that sure on him being that sure a thing.

Is Trubisky the first QB off the board in this scenario?
Haven't thought about it like that. To me he is the only QB that is worth a 1st round pick. The more I watch him the more I like him and think he is the best fit for this offense out of all the QBs in this draft.

Haven't thought about it like that. To me he is the only QB that is worth a 1st round pick. The more I watch him the more I like him and think he is the best fit for this offense out of all the QBs in this draft.

The reason I ask is because I like Mahomes also.

But regardless, if he was or wasn't the first qb taken....of the Texans did that, I'd be ok. Not thrilled. But ok. Talking trade specifically.

It's quite a bit to give up, but I like Money Mitch.

If Trubisky falls to 12 Cleveland will pick him (If they haven't worked out a trade for Jimmy G.)

Not enough of a track record for me. I wouldn't give up the picks, too much projection and the guy doesn't really have the elite tools you would want if your mortgaging your future.

Isn't this the guy that played only 1 season? Doesn't have a strong arm? Do you want to pay 2 1st and a 3rd for a maybe early Matt Schaub?

Isn't this the guy that played only 1 season? Doesn't have a strong arm? Do you want to pay 2 1st and a 3rd for a maybe early Matt Schaub?

If Trubisky falls to 25 I would pick him. But I wouldn't trade up for him. The 1 yr starting bothers me.

Reactions: JB
If Trubisky falls to 25 I would pick him. But I wouldn't trade up for him. The 1 yr starting bothers me.

Yeah it bothers me and it bothers me that I think his ceiling is a good Matt Schaub (which would have been a whole hella lot better than we've had since 2012) but I want more than that.

Yeah it bothers me and it bothers me that I think his ceiling is a good Matt Schaub (which would have been a whole hella lot better than we've had since 2012) but I want more than that.

Schaub at his best was very good .... not Brady , Favre or Manning great but still good enough to win , especially with this type of defense and a complimentary running game.
That season he got hurt that TJ Yates started in his place .... Had Schaub not gotten hurt , I really believe they would have won it all. They had everything in place.

Schaub at his best was very good .... not Brady , Favre or Manning great but still good enough to win , especially with this type of defense and a complimentary running game.
That season he got hurt that TJ Yates started in his place .... Had Schaub not gotten hurt , I really believe they would have won it all. They had everything in place.

Schaub was very good but I still want more. I want the Farve or Brady. I don't want the Manning because he was a very high draft choice and I don't want the Texans to be in that position again

That team was a Jacoby Jones muffed punt away from making it to the ******* AFC Championship Game without Schaub. Would have been a cakewalk to the Super Bowl that year. SMH.

They really need to draft a QB and I thought Savage played well in what was really his 1st action. If Mahomes is there I pick him. Kizer I would probably pass on. Kelly is my guy this yr.

I can see 9-7 again this yr or worse if Ricky has another bad draft. If that happens BOB/Ricky should both be gone and I like BOB.
If our team goes 9-7 or less
If a QB is an absolute must, then I'm taking Kelly. His 2015 season would make him a RD1 pick in this years draft...even with the baggage. He possesses all the tools needed to be successful from an athletic standpoint. He needs a year of being on the PS or wearing a ball cap on Sunday's while he adjusts to a bit of humblng, learning an NFL offense and most of all maturing.

The fact that his off-field foolishness could lead to him dropping in the draft and losing lots of money means Uncle Jim will probably come in and counsel him on what he's going to need to do to push himself to the top again. Yeah, if there's any QB I'm going to roll the dice on, it's Kelly. I'd be ok with getting a RD1 QB in RD5 or RD6.
I think y'all are more in love with Kelly's bloodline than any kind of actual assessment of his potential from watching him play or any tape on him.

Our owner rightly doesn't want to take head cases and add them to a team of guys who are nothing like that.

I could care less if the guy has
as a ton of upside if he is a threat to chemistry.

Brock Osweiler was far from being known as a problem player and yet he and O'b almost came to blows.

We sure as heck don't need the teams chemistry uprooted.

Chad Kelly being related to Jim Kelly means squat to me. There has never been any character issues with Jim.

They probably would have had a better shot but I'm not convinced they'd have won.

The franchise had never been to the playoffs. They started the year 3-3 and got to 7-3 by beating Tennessee, Jacksonville, Cleveland and Tampa. Not exactly "prove it" teams.

The very next year they went 12-4 but got mud stomped by upper echelon teams -- the pats and the packers. But Schaub himself hadn't fallen off a cliff at that point.

So I'm not sold that any of those teams were ever shoe ins to win the Super Bowl.

This Kelly love is bizarre name recognition. How much does nephew count for in horse bloodlines? - not damn much.

His character issues are not a singular or just when young problem. They are multiple and across his college career. And OB seems like the last coach to hand a back talker to.

Plus he has 2 blown ACLs and an LCL.

Then there's the little problem he has difficulty throwing to his left.

'Bloodlines' is such a lazy and unsubstantive thing to try and factor. If you're trying to scout kids from birth, maybe. But once you've seen them play, well, you've seem them play. It's not like anyone watches a fantastic prospect and says, 'ya, but he's got no bloodlines to see him through ... no thanks.'

Just means squat all after everything else.

I would take Kelly with a 6th or preferably as an UDFA if the Texans could get him. And not for any bloodline reason as I just don't think it means anything.

Mostly for the fact that if he can grow up some - most of his issues seem to be maturity level (possibly the one and only time I'll agree with SteelB :D) - he has some talent and it could pay off. Sit him on the practice squad and see if he can handle that. If not cut your loses and move on, cost you basically nothing.

Back