Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

You bet I do. They drafted a fast WR to keep him from us when WR was the least of their needs.
My Lord. I've never encountered a person who is just plain ass stupid as you and is of legal voting age. Please STFU and quit posting on here. If I want to deal with children, I have my own and they aren't "special needs".

Someone has been hitting the crack pipe a little too hard ....

Still, the point is the same. It may not be Indy, but McNair tipped our hand. Everyone thinks we're likely to take a QB at 25. It might not be the Colts (with their over-paid, injury-prone, prototypical underachieving franchise QB) but it'll be someone who's fallen in love with Mahomes.

The Chiefs have been linked to a first round QB, the Jets (even though they have Cutler) may trade back ahead of us. If there is one guy the Texans feel has that special something, they better go get him, & not hope that "luck is on their side."

Goleta him, like they went & got Fuller, even though "everybody" thought he would be there when we were supposed to pick.

You bet I do. They drafted a fast WR to keep him from us when WR was the least of their needs.

True. & who thought the Patriots would spend a second on a QB... they didn't need a QB. At the time, several people opined that was done to spite the Texans.

Still, the point is the same. It may not be Indy, but McNair tipped our hand. Everyone thinks we're likely to take a QB at 25. It might not be the Colts (with their over-paid, injury-prone, prototypical underachieving franchise QB) but it'll be someone who's fallen in love with Mahomes.

The Chiefs have been linked to a first round QB, the Jets (even though they have Cutler) may trade back ahead of us. If there is one guy the Texans feel has that special something, they better go get him, & not hope that "luck is on their side."

Goleta him, like they went & got Fuller, even though "everybody" thought he would be there when we were supposed to pick.

True. & who thought the Patriots would spend a second on a QB... they didn't need a QB. At the time, several people opined that was done to spite the Texans.
Seriously??
Anyone who watched Osweiler play last season knew he would not be the answer for us. Every NFL talking head was saying our biggest need was at QB. The only question is which one.

If you've seen something out of the mouth of O'Brien, Smith, or McNair where they specify which guy we're targeting, I'd like to see that quote. Otherwise, they got nuthin'.

Seriously??
Anyone who watched Osweiler play last season knew he would not be the answer for us. Every NFL talking head was saying our biggest need was at QB. The only question is which one.

If you've seen something out of the mouth of O'Brien, Smith, or McNair where they specify which guy we're targeting, I'd like to see that quote. Otherwise, they got nuthin'.

Again, all I'm saying is they better be prepared to go get the guy they want. Unless you're happy with whatever they get.

DeShone Kizer is going to be our next QB because Trubisky & Mahomes will be off the board. The Texans will spin it as they got their guy, the apologist will pump sunshine, but the fact is we will have settled.

Nobody wants Kizer. Or Kaaya, but I bet we'll end up with one of the two.

We wanted Patterson, had a trade in place to get him, Arizona takes him, just ahead of us. We wanted Dorsett, Indy takes him just ahead of us. Were we going to take Bridgewater?... Minnesota got him ahead of us.

I know, "it's the draft & that's the way it works." But it seems to be a trend. Maybe because I'm looking through my Texans fan lenses, but still.

We want the best prospect in the draft... I doubt we'll get a guy "anyone" would have considered one of the best of this class.

DeShone Kizer is going to be our next QB because Trubisky & Mahomes will be off the board. The Texans will spin it as they got their guy, the apologist will pump sunshine, but the fact is we will have settled.

Nobody wants Kizer. Or Kaaya, but I bet we'll end up with one of the two.

We wanted Patterson, had a trade in place to get him, Arizona takes him, just ahead of us. We wanted Dorsett, Indy takes him just ahead of us. Were we going to take Bridgewater?... Minnesota got him ahead of us.

Didn't get Patterson so we are stuck with Watt instead. Didn't get Dorsett so we are stuck with our second rounder from that year who turned out to be McKinney. Sometimes it's the moves you don't make...sometimes it's the guy you don't want who turns out to be great.

Didn't get Patterson so we are stuck with Watt instead. Didn't get Dorsett so we are stuck with our second rounder from that year who turned out to be McKinney. Sometimes it's the moves you don't make...sometimes it's the guy you don't want who turns out to be great.

& that's fine. Obviously you & Sandman don't feel it's imperative that the Texans find a QB in this draft.

:chef: :slapfight:

out of curiosity, do you guys think that if we get an OL at 1.25 he will get booed by fans when the pick is announced?

provided that some of the "top" QBs are still available

iirc JJ Watt was booed as well

out of curiosity, do you guys think that if we get an OL at 1.25 he will get booed by fans when the pick is announced?

I'm fine with an OL in the first .... assuming they are targeting Mahomes or Peterman soon after. (mocks have Mahomes all over the freaking place - top 15 pick all the way to the bottom of round 2).

If Peterman gets picked up by some other team and the Texans still haven't gotten their quarterback .... I might smash the TV. The talent level drops wayyyy off after Trubisky , Mahomes , Watson , Kizer and Peterman.

The texans are in the same boat as the before they drafted Flacco. Even though I never thought Flacco was elite, he has enough talent to play at an elite level. The ravens brought in a qb with a bad back, mcnair, got a decent year ,didn't do much in the playoffs and were back to square 1. They drafted Flacco in 08 and most years, he probably doesn't go 1st rd. They pulled the trigger and for the most part, it worked. He has some great playoffs, but early he has some bas ones.

I say that to say this, you can talk yourself into not taking a qb all the time. As an organization, you must evaluate the position every year until you get that guy. Unless you have an all time great defense, you're not going to win or even get to a superbowl without a franchise qb. Look at the past sb winners and rank their qbs and defense over the last 15 yrs. How many sb qbs going to the hof and how many all time great defenses do you have without those qbs?

Rob Rang's most recent mock has Trubisky the first QB off the board at 12 to Cleveland , Mahomes to Arizona at 13 and the Texans taking Watson at 25.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ab-howard-ross-williams-falls-to-the-cowboys/

So its not just us who have become enamored with Mahomes ....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Pete Prisco has Mahomes going #6 to the Jets.

Dane Bulger , Jared Dubin & Will Brinson have him going to the Texans #25.

Of the CBS mocks , only Ryan Wilson doesn't have him in the first round.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Rob Rang's most recent mock has Trubisky the first QB off the board at 12 to Cleveland , Mahomes to Arizona at 13 and the Texans taking Watson at 25.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ab-howard-ross-williams-falls-to-the-cowboys/

So its not just us who have become enamored with Mahomes ....

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft

Pete Prisco has Mahomes going #6 to the Jets.

Dane Bulger , Jared Dubin & Will Brinson have him going to the Texans #25.

Of the CBS mocks , only Ryan Wilson doesn't have him in the first round.

for all his flaws the kid just plays the position so naturally.

my list of QB wants in order are
Mahomes
Trubisky
Peterman
Webb

Had to take Watson off my board when I saw how weak his arm was after qb velocity numbers came out. Kizer really should have stayed another year, if you can't hold down your starting gig in college why do I want to take you with a top pick?

Trubisky, Mahomes & Watson will probably be gone by the time the Texans pick in RD1. Peterman is probably still on the board but would you use a RD1 on him? The first 3 guys could go under center from the get-go or by mid-season and IMHO, I don't think any of them will be ready. In a conservative estimate, I'd bet 2-3 years minimum before any type of returns are realized.

For example, the Browns know they will be taking a QB in the 2017 draft and therefore put their sites on building an over the top OL to give him the best chance at success....basically using the Cowboys recipe for Prescott's immediate success. So, if I were a Browns fan...I'd be way cool with my team taking a QB in RD1 since the team seems to be putting the foundation down first.

As for reality, the Texans have done nothing to re-build or reinforce their OL which was and has been an obvious weakness for quite some time and has failed many QB's. Now, a lot of folks are clamoring for the Texans to jump at using their RD1 pick on a QB who will not be successful under the current program since no upgrades have been performed. I think a lot of QB's can be developed and as far as this draft is concerned most will need the development time...especially in regards to the Texans.

I don't need Trubisky, Mahomes, or Watson in leui of an OT, OG & RB for 2017 or 2018...what I need is an OL that can keep Savage and Weeden protected so they have the best chance at breaking down coverages and blowing holes open on the right side so the running game has an equal chance of being dominant whether running to the left or right side.

I've got a 1st round grade on Watson.

2nd round grades on Peterman and Trubisky.

3rd round grade on Mahomes.

4th round grade on Webb.

5th round Evans.

6th round Beathard.

Those are the only guys I see as draftable. And you can expect a 2nd round QB to go near the end of the 1st because the contracts give more team control.

Trubisky, Mahomes & Watson will probably be gone by the time the Texans pick in RD1. Peterman is probably still on the board but would you use a RD1 on him? The first 3 guys could go under center from the get-go or by mid-season and IMHO, I don't think any of them will be ready. In a conservative estimate, I'd bet 2-3 years minimum before any type of returns are realized.

From what I've heard, Peterman is the only one who may be ready to go week 1. His lack of arm talent is the primary thing holding him back.

Trubisky, Mahomes, & Watson all need work to adapt to a pro offense.

Granted, if the guys a baller, the coach can make concessions to get him in the game sooner rather than later, but from the traditional sense, my understanding is Peterman is the most pro ready.

4th round grade on Webb.

5th round Evans.

6th round Beathard.

Those are the only guys I see as draftable. And you can expect a 2nd round QB to go near the end of the 1st because the contracts give more team control.

Honest question, because people do it differently. What do your grades mean? Rounds 1 franchise prospect, Rounds 2 & 3 starter prospect. Rounds 4-6 back up prospect? Round 7 & UDFA wild card?

No. The crowd didn't boo when Duane Brown was picked either...and he was like the 4th tackle in the 1st round that year.

The Watt pick wasn't booed either, more like a general consensus "who?" went around for those that didn't know the draft.

The Mario pick was loudly booed. Fans wanted Offense and you had a home-state guy in Young, and a dynamic playmaker in Bush available. If we'd been picking third and the other two were off the board, it wouldn't have been an issue. Mario also had shot up the boards at the combine, making many wonder if he was a workout warrior.

I honestly believe this narrative of a guy needing a year or 2 or 3 to be "pro ready" since they come from a spread is dead. Most NFL teams have adapted the spread into their offenses. Also most NFL coaches will try to adapt their offense for their players, but look at the successful young qbs over the last few seasons. Prescott, Mariota, Carr. You just have to find a kid who is dedicated to his craft, and a coach who is willing and good to work with them.

No. The crowd didn't boo when Duane Brown was picked either...and he was like the 4th tackle in the 1st round that year.

The Watt pick wasn't booed either, more like a general consensus "who?" went around for those that didn't know the draft.

The Mario pick was loudly booed. Fans wanted Offense and you had a home-state guy in Young, and a dynamic playmaker in Bush available. If we'd been picking third and the other two were off the board, it wouldn't have been an issue. Mario also had shot up the boards at the combine, making many wonder if he was a workout warrior.

I don't know what the situation was back when we drafted Brown, but now I'd say most people are expecting a QB and I have the feeling that if we don't take a QB in the first round whoever will be drafted there may end up getting booed.

Getting Romo before the draft might be enough to make this go away, but I'm not 100% sure.

I honestly believe this narrative of a guy needing a year or 2 or 3 to be "pro ready" since they come from a spread is dead. Most NFL teams have adapted the spread into their offenses. Also most NFL coaches will try to adapt their offense for their players, but look at the successful young qbs over the last few seasons. Prescott, Mariota, Carr. You just have to find a kid who is dedicated to his craft, and a coach who is willing and good to work with them.

Did you mean to say "I honestly don't believe...."

If you've got a coach who can take what a player does well & use that to his benefit..... sure, any of these guys could be successful early. Look at Kaepernick & RGIII. At the same time, the player & the coach have to prepare for later, when said QB isn't as fast, has taken a few hits so he isn't as fearless, & defenses have defined your limitations.

4th round grade on Webb.

5th round Evans.

6th round Beathard.

No Kizer?

No Kizer?

I like everything about him except his accuracy. And I don't think accuracy can be coached. You can teach mechanics and footwork, but if a guy just doesn't have an accurate arm at this point in his development I don't believe he ever will.

So no Kizer. I totally get why some people would want him. He's just not for me.

I've come to terms with the idea that if the Texans want to start Tom Savage in 2017 then so be it. I still think a rookie prospect needs to be taken just in case but sure, WTF let Tom go through the off-season now as the starter and lets get it over with. You da' man Tom so go get some. Weeden backs him up? Sure, sounds good to me. Grab a rookie and see if he can push past Weeden for the #2 spot and lets see what happens.

It's not like we won't have our pick of former Texans QB's when one or more of them goes down this year.

I don't have a problem with tom savage and weeden going into the season and that's it but we run the risk of tanking or going 8-8 at the best IMO same with Denver last year with Trevor

but if that happens then obvs that would look bad on the GM and owner esp when there were some Vet QBs out there

I don't know what the situation was back when we drafted Brown, but now I'd say most people are expecting a QB and I have the feeling that if we don't take a QB in the first round whoever will be drafted there may end up getting booed.

Getting Romo before the draft might be enough to make this go away, but I'm not 100% sure.
I'm not sure I'd want any QB still on the board @25...at least not for playing time THIS year.

Folks (myself included) are going to be angry if we don't add a decent QB in FA...after paying someone to take our starter. Up my season ticket prices and then start gutting the team wasn't what I had in mind.

From what I've heard, Peterman is the only one who may be ready to go week 1. His lack of arm talent is the primary thing holding him back.

Trubisky, Mahomes, & Watson all need work to adapt to a pro offense.

Granted, if the guys a baller, the coach can make concessions to get him in the game sooner rather than later, but from the traditional sense, my understanding is Peterman is the most pro ready....

From what I've seen, Peterman is the most pro ready. His potential has a ceiling due to the lack of "elite" tools, but his arm certainly meets at least the minimum requirement, at least in my view.

Honest question, because people do it differently. What do your grades mean? Rounds 1 franchise prospect, Rounds 2 & 3 starter prospect. Rounds 4-6 back up prospect? Round 7 & UDFA wild card?

The grade is relative to each individual player. I don't really create categories like that for each round. That creates situations where you can box a guy into a category where he doesn't really belong because you don't have anywhere else to put him.

Here's what I see in this draft:

I see Watson as a potential franchise QB that shouldn't have a terribly difficult transition to the next level. But he does come with one major issue. Turnovers. He throws picks in bunches.

I see Peterman as a potential franchise QB that should be pretty close to pro ready but he lacks elite tools and that could cap his ceiling.

I see Trubisky as a potential franchise QB with close to elite tools but he has a pretty big learning curve ahead of him in transitioning to the next level.

I see Mahomes as a potential franchise QB but with an almost staggering learning curve in front of him. Not due to mental or physical deficiency, but because I think he will have to drastically change his play style to reach that potential. One, I'm not sure that is really possible. Two, doing that would limit the qualities that make him desirable in the first place.

I don't see Webb as a potential franchise QB but I do think he could be an average starter or a solid backup.

I don't see Evans as a potential franchise QB. I think that he has nearly elite tools, but I think that the transition to the next level will be too drastic for him. I think he has a career in the NFL but I'm not sure he'll ever be a starter of average quality or better.

I don't see Beathard as a potential franchise QB. I think he is closer to pro ready than some of the other guys and I think that he has some good tools, but I think his ceiling at the next level is as a backup.

I don't see any other QBs worth investing coaching time or draft capital in.

I'm not sure I'd want any QB still on the board @25...at least not for playing time THIS year.

Folks (myself included) are going to be angry if we don't add a decent QB in FA...after paying someone to take our starter. Up my season ticket prices and then start gutting the team wasn't what I had in mind.
my original question was made "assuming one of the *top* 3 QB in this draft is available at 1.25"

I think people is desperate enough that if one of the *top* QBs are available (especially mahomes) and we go OL they will boo

I'm not saying I would, I just have this feeling that if that happens the boos will outnumber the cheers

I want to see the current QB's, receivers and running game have the best chance at success in 2017 and it doesn't start with a rookie QB in RD1 over the best available OL.

My honest opinion, these QB's are being elevated due to the class being so weak. Carr hit his stride in year 3 and Mariota hasn't had a great season but the team did have a winning season in his 2nd year. Mostly due to a great running game. My take on Prescott....Cowboys set the table for his success and EE just made it easier. Anyone watching what the Browns are doing in preparation to taking a QB in RD1 this year?

Texans will not regress to less than 9-7 next season with Savage and/or Weeden at QB. With Watts return, the defense will be pretty tough and the receivers should be healthy and a year smarter. 9-7 will be the norm...the question in my mind, can they hit 10 or 11 wins based on O'Brien finally being in a position to use 100% of his playbook and all of this is probably going to be predicated on the success of RS nailing the draft with some solid picks in the trenches.

...Texans will not regress to less than 9-7 next season with Savage and/or Weeden at QB...
I'm OK with Savage; but I liked Weeden coming out in 2012. I still like his potential in our offense. One thing, you'd see a much more aggressive deep passing game. This is Weeden's strongest asset. But you would also see better chemistry with Hopkins. His TD to interception ratio is about 50-50, with the Bengals and Cowboys. He's going into his second training camp with O'Brian's offense; I think an improvement to 10 wins over last season is in the cards. More than that, maybe.

I want to see the current QB's, receivers and running game have the best chance at success in 2017 and it doesn't start with a rookie QB in RD1 over the best available OL.

My honest opinion, these QB's are being elevated due to the class being so weak. Carr hit his stride in year 3 and Mariota hasn't had a great season but the team did have a winning season in his 2nd year. Mostly due to a great running game. My take on Prescott....Cowboys set the table for his success and EE just made it easier. Anyone watching what the Browns are doing in preparation to taking a QB in RD1 this year?

Texans will not regress to less than 9-7 next season with Savage and/or Weeden at QB. With Watts return, the defense will be pretty tough and the receivers should be healthy and a year smarter. 9-7 will be the norm...the question in my mind, can they hit 10 or 11 wins based on O'Brien finally being in a position to use 100% of his playbook and all of this is probably going to be predicated on the success of RS nailing the draft with some solid picks in the trenches.

Savage and Weeden aren't comparable to Carr , Mariota or Prescott ....They have both been in the league as long or longer than any of those guys and have yet to show a tenth the ability.

The OL wasn't bad , don't know why you keep parroting that mess , they were average to above average as a unit .... with the worst QB play in the league. Imagine what they may have accomplished with Fitztragic or Hoyerable quality quarterbacking instead of pathetic. Yes , they need to fill RT and depth but it wont matter with garbage QB play.

OB wasn't able to run the entire offense last season with Savage .... What makes you think he will suddenly morph into a competent quarterback and allow OB to open things up ?? Past history says Savage is what he is now .... incompetent and to top it off , injury prone.

Yeah , I agree - 9-7 is the norm with this defense and sh!t for quarterback .... if you are content with 9-7 again , by all means go into the season with that hot garbage at QB.

Go ahead , draft OL and skip QB .... put it off another year and we'll be having this same damn conversation again next year , like we have since Schaub lost his mojo. In the mean time , keep posting 9-7 , 8-8 seasons ...

If we beat New England, Kansas City, & Pittsburgh next season, I could live with 9-7

Not Me. I'm sick of going into every year knowing that this team will be an also ran ..... that they have no chance at a Lombardi Trophy.

I want a string of consecutive seasons where going in , we believe they have a shot at winning it all .... if we win one , great.

I've had it with 9-7 and knowing we're going nowhere past the 2nd round.

22 NFL teams polled: Who's top QB in 2017 draft?
There is anything but a consensus about the best quarterback prospect in the 2017 NFL Draft, but based on the results of Charley Casserly's survey, it could be a two-horse race.

The NFL Network analyst and former NFL GM polled personnel from 22 NFL clubs on the subject, and a vast majority selected either Clemson's Deshaun Watson (nine votes), or North Carolina's Mitchell Trubisky (eight votes). Two favored Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes, while three more were undecided. Conspicuously absent from the results: Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer.

Nothing too shocking, and somewhat encouraging that hopefully a certain QB I like slides to a certain QB needy team I root for.

Savage and Weeden aren't comparable to Carr , Mariota or Prescott ....They have both been in the league as long or longer than any of those guys and have yet to show a tenth the ability.

The OL wasn't bad , don't know why you keep parroting that mess , they were average to above average as a unit .... with the worst QB play in the league. Imagine what they may have accomplished with Fitztragic or Hoyerable quality quarterbacking instead of pathetic. Yes , they need to fill RT and depth but it wont matter with garbage QB play.

OB wasn't able to run the entire offense last season with Savage .... What makes you think he will suddenly morph into a competent quarterback and allow OB to open things up ?? Past history says Savage is what he is now .... incompetent and to top it off , injury prone.

Yeah , I agree - 9-7 is the norm with this defense and sh!t for quarterback .... if you are content with 9-7 again , by all means go into the season with that hot garbage at QB.

Go ahead , draft OL and skip QB .... put it off another year and we'll be having this same damn conversation again next year , like we have since Schaub lost his mojo. In the mean time , keep posting 9-7 , 8-8 seasons ...

They really need to draft a QB and I thought Savage played well in what was really his 1st action. If Mahomes is there I pick him. Kizer I would probably pass on. Kelly is my guy this yr.

I can see 9-7 again this yr or worse if Ricky has another bad draft. If that happens BOB/Ricky should both be gone and I like BOB.

I like Kizer more than most. Kelly has off field issues, Trubinsky doesn't have enough starts. I like Watson, Mahomes scares the hell out of me.

22 NFL teams polled: Who's top QB in 2017 draft?

Nothing too shocking, and somewhat encouraging that hopefully a certain QB I like slides to a certain QB needy team I root for.

I don't really like Watson that much ..... but I'd be happy with any of the three but have my doubts that any of them make it to #25.

I know its been a long time since 4 QB's went in the 1st round .... but this year is so full of QB needy teams.
Cleveland , San Fran , Chicago , NYJ , Buffalo , Denver and Houston are all in dire need at the position. Then you have teams like the Chargers , Saints , Cardinals , Miami , KC and Pittsburgh all with aging QB's and very little behind those guys. I could easily see one of those teams taking a QB much like GB did with Rodgers when Favre was at the tail end of his career. I just hope one of those teams falls in love with Kizer .... leaving us one or more of the others available at 25.

I was originally vehemently against Watson at the start of the offseason because of the turnover thing. However this defense has shown last year that it can put up with turnovers from the offense to a degree, what it can't do is carry an offense that doesn't score points. If Watson helps the offense gets points on the boards in spite of his turnovers, then I'd be ok with the pick. Obviously I'd prefer a QB that doesn't turn the ball over frequently, I still have nightmares of Hoyer v. Chiefs. My preferred QB in the draft is still Petermen, but I won't flip my **** if they take Watson.

They really need to draft a QB and I thought Savage played well in what was really his 1st action. If Mahomes is there I pick him. Kizer I would probably pass on. Kelly is my guy this yr.

I can see 9-7 again this yr or worse if Ricky has another bad draft. If that happens BOB/Ricky should both be gone and I like BOB.

I bet Kelly goes undrafted.

Kizer I would pass on , wouldn't take him in the 3rd , much prefer Peterman to him.

In all seriousness, because I really don't know, but New England wouldn't take a 1st round draft pick for Gorappolo? Or is that the Brown's bid to win or lose?

Back