Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

When you've seen Kelly play you can tell he's got the ability to be a starting QB in the NFL. I will even say he's the most NFL ready QB in this draft. The game isn't too big for him and that probably is because he grew up around NFL players. Hence bloodline, he more likely to understand what it's like to be an NFL QB and everything that goes with it.

That doesn't speak to non-related QB's who play like the game isn't too big for them. Also doesn't seem to have helped him much at the much simpler college level.

And I'm not sure the ages of 1-2 during Jim's career really shaped his pro 'bloodlines' all that much.

Would you rather he give his detailed scouting report of each player?

I would not want my doctor went into every miniscule detail of an operation I have to get.

But I definitely would not want a doctor to tell me "oh, well... I don't even know what's inside there yet, for now let's just open and see what happens"

You know he has to be telling little white lies here .... he cant be that stupid , can he ?!

Hell I bet most of those in the draft forum here have been watching film on guys since mid season .... and its just a hobby for them , not their job on the line.

yes, I know he is not telling the truth.

what I don't understand is how "I have no idea" is a better answer than "we are doing our job to make sure we pick the best guys"

information leaked is zero either way

Maybe with coaching bloodlines work like little Shanny. But there are zero examples for QB.
The problem is this - with the notable exception of the Mannings, all of the bloodline NFL QB situations I can think of consist of either a star and a journeyman, or a journeyman and a journeyman (and by journeyman, I mean anyone who's not a star).

Oliver Luck/Andrew Luck
Bob Griese/Brian Griese
David Whitehurst/Charlie Whitehurst
David Carr/Derek Carr
Phil Simms/Chris Simms
Matt Hasselbeck/Tim Hasselbeck
Carson Palmer/Jordan Palmer
Josh McCown/Luke McCown

Looks like the odds would be better for Chad if Jim hadn't been so good.

The bottom line is I don't think the bloodlines matter. He's got a sketchy past - SteelB would like him no matter who his uncle is.

That doesn't speak to non-related QB's who play like the game isn't too big for them. Also doesn't seem to have helped him much at the much simpler college level.

And I'm not sure the ages of 1-2 during Jim's career really shaped his pro 'bloodlines' all that much.

I get you don't want Kelly to be the QB of the Texans.

But his on field play talent level suggests that he will be very successful. Tell me 2 yrs ago or for that matter last yr what QB beat both Alabama/LSU in the same season? You cant do that as a team without your QB being a leader. I want a QB with an edge to him rather than the HWNSNBM/Schaub/Os, those types of personalities have been medicore at best despite their differing degrees of talent levels.

Obviously you don't like guys like Kelly, I do.

But his on field play talent level suggests that he will be very successful. Tell me 2 yrs ago or for that matter last yr what QB beat both Alabama/LSU in the same season? You cant do that as a team without your QB being a leader. I want a QB with an edge to him rather than the HWNSNBM/Schaub/Os, those types of personalities have been medicore at best despite their differing degrees of talent levels.

That flies in the face of saying I wouldn't mind using a later round pick on him. Strange.

And none of those words take away anything I was saying about using 'bloodlines' as an eval marker beyond watching someone play. Which if you can focus on the point was all I was getting at all along.

yes, I know he is not telling the truth.

what I don't understand is how "I have no idea" is a better answer than "we are doing our job to make sure we pick the best guys"

information leaked is zero either way

My guess is that they don't want to tip their hand as to what position they might target in the draft .... That's the only thing that makes sense.

(Yeah , his answer did sound .... silly)

Jay Cutler Wants to Sign With the Texans

Thus, Cutler is likely to be released and has a favorite spot for where he would like to play next. Multiple sources tell WalterFootball.com that Cutler wants to sign with the Houston Texans.

Cutler likes the situation in Houston with a No. 1 receiver in DeAndre Hopkins, a fast secondary receiver in Will Fuller, the eighth-ranked rushing offense led by Lamar Miller, and the No. 1 defense in the NFL. While Cutler has had issues with interceptions in his career, many around the league believe he would be an upgrade over Texans' 2016 starter Brock Osweiler, who struggled with interceptions and a lack of accuracy last year. Cutler would bring more accuracy and experience to the position with the arm to push the ball vertically to Hopkins and Fuller. Via safety K.J. Dillon, Houston's training staff also has experience working with players who are type-1 diabetics like Cutler.

giphy.gif

Cutler would have a dream QB when Kubiak was here and we still had Arian and Andre. Just thinking about those play actions and bootlegs...

I'll still take him over Osweiler.

Since we are quarterback with a big arm, what about Jay Cutler? I heard on the radio a few minutes ago that he wants to come to Houston.

A new look for him might just do him some good.

It's not that I wouldn't take a late round flyer on Kelly , I would ..... BUT that wouldn't be all I do at the position. I'd bring in at least two other arms .... a veteran and a high draft choice.

I'd kick the tires on both Romo & Cutler signing one assuming he was healthy .... Then I'd draft a quarterback early , like the top two rounds - Mahomes being the guy I see as realistic then pick up another , possibly Kelly at the tail end of the draft.

Basically what I'm saying is that I'm not content with having just one option going into the season that could maybe be a competent quarterback , I want to hedge my bets.

We don't have a quarterback , I'm going to do everything within reason to resolve that.

Since we are quarterback with a big arm, what about Jay Cutler? I heard on the radio a few minutes ago that he wants to come to Houston.

A new look for him might just do him some good.
Cutler would be an upgrade over what we have now, but his attitude will not sit well with you know who.
I can't imagine Cutler allowing himself to be drilled with a difficult system.
I may be wrong, but he strikes me as a "see receiver, throw the ball" guy.

If I absolutely had to get a veteran QB, I'd be trading for Jimmy G or AJ McCarron and avoiding Cutler and Romo at all costs. Especially Cutler.
I might, just might, take a risk on Romo since I was obviously wrong about Manning. :brickwall:

Watson threw 17 INTs in 579 att for 2.9 INT%. That's more than twice the clip, and a 2.9% INT rate would be a bad number for a pro. Also Watson has accuracy issues that worry me in the long term.

In those 579 attempts, he completed 388 for a 67% completion percentage. His college career was 67.4% comp. I get it, 17 picks is a lot. But Jameis Winston threw more picks (18) in less attempts (467) his senior year. His completion % was about the same as Watson's for the college career.

Winston was 27-1 and Watson was 28-2 in two full years of college. They both win. I'd take Watson and his 2.9% int rate and the wins over Mahomes. I highly doubt the Texans pick either, so the point is probably moot.

Much of Cutler's bizarre affect and moodiness could be attributed to his type I diabetic condition. Blood glucose control in an NFL athlete can be tricky enough off the field, but while on the field for an entire game is an unbelievable challenge.
Do you think your job is to crap on my heart? If so, you need a raise.

In those 579 attempts, he completed 388 for a 67% completion percentage. His college career was 67.4% comp. I get it, 17 picks is a lot. But Jameis Winston threw more picks (18) in less attempts (467) his senior year. His completion % was about the same as Watson's for the college career.

Winston was 27-1 and Watson was 28-2 in two full years of college. They both win. I'd take Watson and his 2.9% int rate and the wins over Mahomes. I highly doubt the Texans pick either, so the point is probably moot.

Teams win games. Not individual players. Their record had everything to do with their crappy defense not Mahomes play at QB, they lost games when the offense scored (55,38,59,37,44,35). Unless you expected him to rush the passer and play CB, the losses had nothing to do with his play.

Didn't they used to say VY was a winner? Mark Sanchez and Matt Leinhart? The team's wins are a reflection of the team first and foremost. The Clemson teams were stacked as were the FSU teams. Trying to blame Mahomes for those losses and somehow explain the success of FSU and/or Clemson by claiming the differences and effectivenesses of the QB's is absurd to say the least. There are reasons to like and dislike each QB, the record of the teams they played on is probably the most misleading and ineffective way to go about it.

I wasn't speaking directly to Mahomes W/L record. You brought up the fact that Watson had accuracy issues. He doesn't, really, he has INT issues. Hell Favre had INT issues, he won. Just saying that, QB's are gonna throw picks. Good TEAMS overcome that. The Texans D, right now, is good enough to overcome that. They proved it with Osweiler chucking bricks all year. I'd take my chances in the 2 min warning with Watson over Osweiler, but who wouldn't.

Do you think your job is to crap on my heart? If so, you need a raise.
LOL! I'm not really trying to crap on anyone's heart when I post..........just offering information that may help in forming valid opinion.

Here's a story that explains the reality of Cutler's challenge.

Jay Cutler Talks to ASweetLife About Diabetes

Jay Cutler is currently the starting quarterback for the Chicago Bears. He was drafted 11th overall in the 2006 NFL Draft by the Denver Broncos, and was selected to play in the Pro Bowl in 2008. Jay played college football at Vanderbilt, where he still holds a number of University records – total offense, TD passes, passing yards and completions.

On May 1, 2008, Jay Cutler announced that he had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Since then he’s not only continued to be a football superstar, he’s also become a leader of diabetes awareness. He works with Dedicated to Diabetes, a Denver-based organization that strives to educate people about the disease. For the 2009 season Jay teamed up with Eli Lilly and Company, and for each TD pass Jay throws during the season Lilly will send a child with diabetes to camp by donating $1,000 to the American Diabetes Association’s “Camp Scholarship” fund.

Jay Cutler is an inspiration to many people throughout the world. We are so happy that he took the time to talk to A Sweet Life about his diabetes diagnosis, what he misses from his days before diabetes, how often he checks his blood sugar during a game and more…

Can you describe what you were feeling when you took the field for the first time after being diagnosed?

When I was diagnosed, I was actually relieved. I had been sick for about six months, lost 35 pounds, and didn’t know what was wrong. So I knew having diabetes wouldn’t be easy, but I also knew it could be managed.

Playing with diabetes for the first time was definitely a different feeling than the year before – checking my blood sugar, just getting used to the whole routine. It obviously was a lot more complicated than not having diabetes. But when you get on the field, you’re just thinking about football, how to win the game. Of course, I can’t escape having diabetes and that’s why we test so much during the game to make sure my levels are okay.

How do you/your trainers prepare your body for game day? Do you elevate your blood sugar so you do not bottom out during the game?

I test four or five times before the game and we test a lot in the first half when we come off the field, trying to keep my blood sugar around 150-160.

Do you wear a pump? If so, do you wear it during the game?

I take multiple daily injections. I tried a pump and a continuous monitoring system right after I was diagnosed, but using a pen just fits better into my line of work and lifestyle.

How many times do you check your blood sugar during the game?

Most of the time, I prick my finger every time we come off the field, especially in the first half. There are definitely dangers out there – we try to avoid them at all costs. That’s why we check as many times as we do. I think the worst thing imaginable would be to get really low and pass out in the middle of a play, or in the huddle. That would scare a lot of people. I try to avoid it as much as possible, but it’s still a reality that could happen.

What have you had to give up now that you are diabetic?

Sweet tea. And I miss Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I cleaned out my pantry right after I was diagnosed, and I’ve learned to balance my diet over the last couple years.

No one is perfect. Have you been tempted to stray from your daily regimen? If so, how? What did you do? How did you act?

I’m definitely not perfect. I’m motivated to stay as healthy as I can so I can be at my best on the field. I still want to win championships and be the best quarterback I can be – diabetes didn’t change that – and it’s important to stay on top of managing diabetes every day to ensure I can perform at the highest level possible. But it’s not easy. It’s with you every day. I’m also not to the point where diabetes is just part of me. I’m still dealing with it, and that’s going to take some time.

Is guilt an issue for you, like feeling guilty when you eat something you shouldn’t, or when you lose control of your blood sugar level?

It’s really just about finding the right balance. Our diets are well-controlled by the Bears training staff, in-season and during off-season workouts, which goes along with playing in the NFL and needing to stay in top condition. I know I can only do my best to manage diabetes now and try to use my diagnosis to make an impact, and to inspire kids and families who are dealing with it. Visiting children’s hospitals in the offseason with Lilly was a great way to connect with kids and families who are dealing with this disease. I’ve been fortunate to meet some incredible kids along the way and they inspire me.

What are you better at…controlling your diabetes or being an NFL QB?

Both jobs are challenging in their own ways. But I can tell you playing football is a lot more fun.

This is from 2 different scouting reports, they kinda say he gets pressured and his accuracy goes.

Fox sports

Can get tentative at times. Accuracy and ball placement become erratic as a result, leading to an uptick in interceptions.

Sometimes tends to rush his throws rather than putting his feet through the full process, which also lends to ball placement issues.
Does not handle pressure well. Teams that could put heat on him often forced him into making frequent mistakes.

From NFL.com

Accuracy runs hot and cold. Tends to over-stride on drive throws, causing release point to drop and balls to sail. Ball placement on crossing routes and slants needs to improve. Will leave throws behind intended targets. Deep-ball accuracy has been scatter-shot over his last two seasons at Clemson, with throws sailing well beyond his target. Too many interceptions due to lack of vision, placement or decision-making. Threw interception vs. Troy against bracketed coverage he didn't see. Baited into bad-decision interceptions twice by Florida State cornerbacks.

Completion % doesn't tell the entire story. Especially in that offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit wrong thread.

Anyway, wouldn't be all that excited about Cutler, so would want him to come rather cheap and 2 year deal max, would rather it be a 1 year deal.

Watching QBs at combine. Many can't seem to throw the ball accurately. I guess Smith/McNair choose the tallest of them that talks the talk the best.
What a f%*%g joke. How can you pay for a QB that can't throw the ball and draft a receiver that his only plus is he is fast on the track but he can't catch the ball. You must be the Texans.

Much of Cutler's bizarre affect and moodiness could be attributed to his type I diabetic condition. Blood glucose control in an NFL athlete can be tricky enough off the field, but while on the field for an entire game is an unbelievable challenge.

Not saying one way or the other whether we should sign Cutler - but I can vouch for the strange behavior possibly being linked to his condition. I'm a type 1 diabetic and when my blood glucose goes to far in one direction or the other I can irrationally snap at family, friends, etc. or may just sit down and not talk to anyone for 25 minutes. It can drastically alter my attitude behavior - (personal experience I can be kind of a d*** when my BG goes over 400).

My solution to the Texans disaster known as the QB is two fold, draft Nathan Peterson in RD 2 (IMO the best QB in this draft class, best feet and release) and draft Chad Kelly in RD 6, put him on IR for 2017 and hope he grows up, matures, gets over his temper and anger management problems and becomes like his uncle Jim Kelly.

Last edited:
Watching QBs at combine. Many can't seem to throw the ball accurately. I guess Smith/McNair choose the tallest of them that talks the talk the best.
What a f%*%g joke. How can you pay for a QB that can't throw the ball and draft a receiver that his only plus is he is fast on the track but he can't catch the ball. You must be the Texans.

We're a sucka for fools gold. My thing is they are trying their best. Brock was the top QB in free agency. He showed some pretty good potential in the 7 games he played in Denver. The main one being the Patriots game.
Fuller was a clutch receiver in Notre Dame. He was their go to guy. Yes he had some issues dropping the ball. But his upside and clutchness was what got our attention.

We all wanted them to swing for the fences and brother that's exactly what they done. They also brought two pretty decent linemen to help bolster up. Unfortunately that didn't pan out as expected either. The addition of Miller was huge for this offense. But injuries to the line as well as him, didn't pay dividends like they thought.

The play calling was just as worse if you ask me. Personally I thought we would see this fancy, high powered lethal offense. The 1st two games showed us great promise. Unfortunately the rest of the season was totally unbearable. Some games had its moments but we couldn't get any consistency from that side of the ball.

Now defensively was a big time surprise. Especially when JJ went down, nobody in their right mind thought we would the #1 defense.
So we can say they got that side of the ball right.

My dad was a type 1 and he was extremely unpredictable. After his death, I came back to the house I grew up in, talked to the neighbors, some new some I have known since 1977 and they said the same thing. They never knew what kind of mood he'd be in. He'd walk his dogs and people became nervous about approaching him. Sometimes he'd be sweet as pie, sometimes he'd be dismissive and other times he'd start an argument.

Honestly, when my fathers car drove up the driveway, me and my brother would go to our rooms and wait for our mom to get home before we came out...lol

My solution to the Texans disaster known as the QB is two fold, draft Nathan Peterson in RD 2 (IMO the best QB in this draft class, best feet and release) and draft Chad Kelly in RD 6, put him on IR for 2017 and hope grows up, matures, gets over his temper and anger management problems and becomes like his uncle Jim Kelly.

I could get behind this plan (except I'd take Peterman :D in the 2nd) - QB with potential in the 2nd and a flyer on the head case with a lot of talent late.

Not necessarily a Romo fan. If he's healthy (that's the $25m question) he could be great. Huge upgrade from Brock, but who isn't? I think he's overrated. People talk about him as if he's Manning. He won as much playoff games as Brock and TJ Yates. He's a gamble but probably our best solution this year. I'd Give him a 1/2 year deal and draft a QB to develop. Cutler would be a disaster in the making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not necessarily a Romo fan. If he's healthy (that's the $25m question) he could be great. Huge upgrade from Brock, but who isn't? I think he's overrated. People talk about him as if he's Manning. He won as much playoff games as Brock and TJ Yates. He's a gamble but probably our best solution this year. I'd Give him a 1/2 year deal and draft a QB to develop. Cutler would be a disaster in the making.

No people don't.

No, not point blank, but you do get that vibe from some. Hell, you had one guy compare us not signing Romo given the chance to not signing Manning after his neck surgeries.
That was exactly my point, but you worded it much better!

Back