Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

No, not point blank, but you do get that vibe from some. Hell, you had one guy compare us not signing Romo given the chance to not signing Manning after his neck surgeries.

Give me a break. No one worth their opinion on the game rates Romo alongside Manning.

The village idiot's vibe isn't a good factor in making an argument against someone's rating.

I think you roll with Savage, a cheap vet qb, and draft a qb in one of the first three rounds of the draft. What they should have done last year hind sight being 20/20.

I don't disagree, just pointing out that what he said wasn't without some credence.

The village idiot part kinda puts a damper on the credence.

But yes, knock yourself out defending that his (Romo = Manning fan, not our new poster friend) opinion is worth weighing so.

My solution to the Texans disaster known as the QB is two fold, draft Nathan Peterson in RD 2 (IMO the best QB in this draft class, best feet and release) and draft Chad Kelly in RD 6, put him on IR for 2017 and hope he grows up, matures, gets over his temper and anger management problems and becomes like his uncle Jim Kelly.

I like Peterman's film too. I wouldn't be at all upset if we picked up some O-line talent in the 1st and then maybe moved up in the 2nd if it felt like Peterman was close to being picked.

I don't know now Has it stands now Roll with savage and have weeden back him up that's it don't bring no one else IN LOL

I don't know now Has it stands now Roll with savage and have weeden back him up that's it don't bring no one else IN LOL
Yep; I have to jump in with my support which I've been saying for weeks now. Heard on the radio yesterday that there could be as many as ten QB's in the 2018 draft on par with, or better than, anyone in this year's draft. Draft a third QB in the mid-rounds but already plan on taking a QB in the first in 2018.

My solution to the Texans disaster known as the QB is two fold, draft Nathan Peterson in RD 2 (IMO the best QB in this draft class, best feet and release) and draft Chad Kelly in RD 6, put him on IR for 2017 and hope he grows up, matures, gets over his temper and anger management problems and becomes like his uncle Jim Kelly.
Great you just jinxed Peterman. I really wanted him but now he destined to failure. Oh and it's Peterman not Peterson.

J/k but yeh he's my choice also.

Sign Romo. Release Weeden. Savage second string. Draft qb in first or second. That's your third.

With Romo's and Savage's injury history eventually the rookie will start.

Superbowl.

Okay, new plan....
Find Mike Holmgren and BEG him to come out of retirement and run our offense.
He put GB back on the map and led Seattle to their first ever SB appearance.
He could not fix Cleveland which shows he's human. But neither could Belichick.

We'll give him total control over the draft, free agent acquisitions, and buy him a new Harley every year.
We need a true QB guru and O'Brien ain't it.
If he can train Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Matt Hasselbeck, he can find a starting QB for us.
:D

Last edited:
Okay, new plan....

We'll give him total control over the draft, free agent acquisitions, and buy him a new Harley every year.
If he can train Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Matt Hasselbeck, he can find a starting QB for us.
Belichick was well on his way to fixing Cleveland. The ownership or GM gave up on him, to their detriment. Belichick is not human. :D

Okay, new plan....

Belichick turned the old Browns into the championship Baltimore team. The expansion Browns were not Belichick's team. :winky:

Belicheck and Brady lucked into each other. A mastermind and a GOAT QB that may have been nothing without each other.
Hoodie won 11 games with Cassel and was 3-1 this year without brady. Hoodie is the greatest. Why? He fits a system to his players strength, not the other way around. Think about it. After brady knee was folded, he couldn't throw the deep ball. So they fazed moss out and emphasized inside the hash mark game. Brady can't throw out breaking routes, but he's lethal inside the hash, short to intermediate. So they got gronk and hernandez, then got a bunch of wrs who were pr/kr with short area quickness. All of the rbs are different in terms of style. Some coaches would stick to what they know and make the players look bad. Hoodie didn't do that.

Hoodie won 11 games with Cassel and was 3-1 this year without brady. Hoodie is the greatest. Why? He fits a system to his players strength, not the other way around. Think about it. After brady knee was folded, he couldn't throw the deep ball. So they fazed moss out and emphasized inside the hash mark game. Brady can't throw out breaking routes, but he's lethal inside the hash, short to intermediate. So they got gronk and hernandez, then got a bunch of wrs who were pr/kr with short area quickness. All of the rbs are different in terms of style. Some coaches would stick to what they know and make the players look bad. Hoodie didn't do that.

Belicheck may have not gotten to show that greatness if he hadn't stumbled upon Brady. He may have flamed out because of Bledsoe. Chicken and egg conversation.

I agree.

But just like they didn't make the play-offs with 11-5 Cassel, & Cassel can't keep a job, Belichick wouldn't have a single ring (as HC), imo, without Brady. Brady's a closer. Those other guys aren't.

I agree.

But just like they didn't make the play-offs with 11-5 Cassel, & Cassel can't keep a job, Belichick wouldn't have a single ring (as HC), imo, without Brady. Brady's a closer. Those other guys aren't.

But you say that like he couldn't have ended up somehow (draft/trade) with a Roethlisberger, Flacco, Brees, Eli, or whomever else that he could've piloted to a ring.

I think Belichick would've had a better shot at a ring without Brady than Brady without him.

But you say that like he couldn't have ended up somehow (draft/trade) with a Roethlisberger, Flacco, Brees, Eli, or whomever else that he could've piloted to a ring.

I think Belichick would've had a better shot at a ring without Brady than Brady without him.
Think about this, he traded chandler jones, collins, and still wound up with the number 1 defense in the nfl. Hoodie would've made it happen period. He had the balls to leave bledsoe, the former 1st overral pick on the bench. Not only that, he traded him in division as well as cut milloy to start a season and still won the sb.

1. B**ch all off-season long about the lack of a plan or big moves by the front office
2. B**ch leading up to and during the draft if they don't take the QB I WANTED
3. Eventually get over being butt hurt about their QB choice
4. Start <insert name here> for MVP thread after our new QB, whoever it may be, completes his first two passes in OTA's
5. Figure out by the 2nd quarter of the first regular season game that we messed up big time, the front office sucks, and Bob McNair has screwed our head coach again
6. By this point I am drinking heavily and contemplating my continued fandom
7. I have moved on to drugs to numb the pain... and it is only the 3rd quarter of the first regular season game
8. Spend the next several months unleashing a torrent of hatred on internet forums of biblical proportions
9. Seek therapy
10. Get second mortgage to cover season tickets after those sons of b**ch's on Kirby raise prices again!
11. Oh its the offseason, yay, who's coming out? any good QB's this year - answer "no, wait till next year, best QB class in the last 20 years", next year.... next year... next year...
12. Rinse and Repeat

It is my off season 12 step program, it doesn't work for everyone... but it gets me through the years and I haven't hit rock bottom (Browns fan) yet.

In case it isn't obvious to everyone... :kitten:

But this is a thread about "how you want to do it", and not "how OB does it".

If it's my choice, I would consider two ways to go.
A pro system as is, or an Air-Raid spread style.

If the second onex I would make O' Brien adopt his system to incorporate more Air Raid - Zone Read concepts to accommodate the newly drafted QB (see RG III or Mariota in their first year.)

I like Savage, but it's hard to count on his being healthy.

I would sign Keenum firstm
He can run both, and he normally doesn't lose a game for the team.
But I don't expect him to be the long-term situation.

Going into the draft, it will depend on which QB I'm able to draft in the first round.

The top prospects can run the spread style Air Raid.
It's what Mahomes and Watson do.
Kizer and Trubisky can adapt to the pro-style or WCO faster since they run offenses that have some similar concepts and their footwork look just fine.

If I get Kizer or Trubisky I'll go get a couple more guys whose teams also run some (or many) pro concepts like Beathard, Peterman, Webb, or Kaaya.

If I get Mahomes or Watson, I'd go for Evans, Dobbs, Liufau.
Webb also qualifies.

It's an unorthodox move, but I could draft up to 3 QBs to have a chance to work with them before I make a final decision on Savage's health.

One or two drafted QBs can be traded or stacked on the PS.

Weeden (or Savage) can always be brought back; once they get released, their value likely diminish (by a few teams).

But obviously, it's just a pipe dream what I'd like to do, LOL.
I'm bringing this back, now that Osweiler is no longer on the team.

Obviously, these are just my opinions.

To me, Keenum is a good gap-bridging for the Texans based on his overall career performance.

I wouldn't mind if the Texans take a shot on the prospects mentioned.

I think Trubisky and Mahomes have great upside; Watson is a bit more risky since he does rely on his two feet to be really efficient, I would rather not take him, even if he turns out to be an NFL QB.

The second guy I would draft is C J Beathard; as I had stated in the draft forum, he looks like an Alex Smith lite with upside.
For now, it looks like he's a late round pick, maybe a round or two after Peterman.

I would still take another guy like Evans, Dobbs or Liufau as a project.

Liufau will probably be an UDFA; he would be the last option.

Realistically, I think Dobbs, Beathard, and Evans can be taken (in no particular order) with a third, fourth, and fifth. Maybe, maybe not. But they are not pipe dreams.

We don't have the resources that the NFL teams do, to learn about these prospects in details; their injury histories, how they handle adversities, their true personal characters and work habits.

All we ever do as fans, is simply a common wish to find a solution at QB so that we can look forward to game days.
We may disagree, but that's what we do as fans.

The Texans should have fired both Rick Smith and O'Brien last off-season - I had strongly suggested. I don't hate either one, but I've always said:

Mediocrity.
Besides the fact they are both Yes-men.

Worth repeating & should be sent by messenger to Bill OBrien.

James Palmer of NFL Media was asked on Thursday whether we can believe that the Texans when they say Tom Savage is their guy.

“Inside that building the understanding I get is they are comfortable with Tom Savage being their quarterback next season if that’s the way this thing plays out. We know they’re not going to trade for Tony Romo. And my understanding is, if he comes to Houston it would be more or less on thier terms in terms of how that contract will be worked out becuase we do know he has some familiarity with the way Bill O’Brien runs things at the quarterback position. And we know they will go out and look at the quarterbacks in this draft.

This is very interesting since ESPN NFL insider Adam Caplan reported a few days ago that the Texans aren’t comfortable with having Savage start for an entire 16 game regular season.

“They even said to me privately when I was at the combine, even if they moved on from Osweiler, they were bringing in competition. A guy they do like on the roster is Tom Savage. But they don’t think right now that he’s ready to start 16 games,” said Caplan.

http://torotimes.com/2017/03/16/report-texans-comfortable-with-tom-savage-as-starter/

I'd gladly take him at 25 just based on his game tape. I'd have no problem with Romo and having this kid sitting for a year or two.

Deshaun Watson draws mixed reviews at Clemson pro day
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...watson-draws-mixed-reviews-at-clemson-pro-day

One of the NFL draft's top quarterback prospects threw passes for an estimated 100-plus scouts Thursday morning, making at least two distinctly different impressions. NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock, who attended the pro day, found Watson's performance praise-worthy.

"They really highlighted movement starting under center. A lot of waggle, bootlegs, sprintout. But his footwork was much improved because they're working on the feet and the hips, trying to sync that up with his arm strength," Mayock said. "Now his arm strength at all three levels is outstanding -- short, medium, deep. He had a little bit more trajectory on the football, another thing they worked on. A quick overview on Watson would be very impressive workout. One caution -- like most spread quarterbacks, his accuracy is tied to his feet. His feet are a work in progress. But this is a kid you really want to work for. He's a bright-eyed kid that plays his best football under the bright lights. Really strong day for Deshaun Watson."

Watson threw about 60 passes, per Mayock. But the same 60 passes Mayock saw generated a different reaction from at least one NFL scout.

"It was a B-minus / C-plus type workout," the scout told NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah, noting that Watson was inconsistent with his timing and ball placement. The same scout, however, felt better about Watson's deep throws, something that NFL Network analyst Curtis Conway felt was important.

Of course, Watson's vast library of game film will weigh more heavily for NFL clubs than the brief workout in shorts, under optimum conditions, that a pro-day workout consists of. Lest we forget, former Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater was panned for his pro day workout in 2014, and was a first-round selection a few weeks later.

Not trying to jinx anything, but have a feeling this thread may be around next off-season, so dibs on bringing Bridgewater up first. 2018 Vikes likely not to keep Bradford and Bridgewater -- one of them should be available - Bridgewater by trade or Bradford an UFA. 2018 projected UFA's:

Brees
Cousins
Bradford of Bridgewater by trade if healthy
Stafford

This list is obviously likely to change as contracts are reworked, but the Bridgewater/Bradford situation is something to watch closely.

Not trying to jinx anything, but have a feeling this thread may be around next off-season, so dibs on bringing Bridgewater up first. 2018 Vikes likely not to keep Bradford and Bridgewater -- one of them should be available - Bridgewater by trade or Bradford an UFA. 2018 projected UFA's:

Brees
Cousins
Bradford of Bridgewater by trade if healthy
Stafford

This list is obviously likely to change as contracts are reworked, but the Bridgewater/Bradford situation is something to watch closely.

As unlikely it is that he sees the market, Carr will be UFA as well.

Looking back to last year's draft, a late first young QB's contract is only slightly higher than Brandon Weeden's contract. A second round pick got an average of $1.1M on a four year contract.

Paxton Lynch was taken at #26 last year. And Hackenburg was taken at #20 in the second round.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/paxton-lynch-18974/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/christian-hackenberg-19000/

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/brandon-weeden-9832/

It's such a small financial investment. I hope that they take a QB in the first 2 round this year. Even if we only get a backup out of it, it's not like it's going to hurt our cap situation. We are going to move on from Weeden and possibly Savage anyway.

Draft Trubisky. But trade up to get him, because if Indy drafts earlier, they will draft him to keep us from getting him. Quietly trade up just before our trade partner is due to draft, so the Colts don't have time to trade up and get back ahead of us.

Back