Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

I guess my biggest disappointment (or maybe fear) would be if Robinson, Bolles, and Ramczyk, along with Trubisky, Watson, and Mahomes are all gone by #25 and the Texans are left staring at Kizer or Webb! I don't know what BOB/Smith would do but I know I wouldn't pick either one. I'd go with the best OLB/DE or CB/S available and not look back!
After posting in my Combine mock, I came here and you say same as I posted.

I could see Mahomes going to NO, CLE or ARZ (11-13). Personally, I wouldn't take any other QB in RD1. This QB class has a ton of question marks and development issues. Kelly is intriguing in RD4 on, especially if we land Romo.

I could see Mahomes going to NO, CLE or ARZ (11-13). Personally, I wouldn't take any other QB in RD1. This QB class has a ton of question marks and development issues. Kelly is intriguing in RD4 on, especially if we land Romo.

Personally, I'll use a mid to late first on a QB that is "incomplete" so to say. A question here or there.

If they have the size, arm talent, played in a big program with some modicum of success... & my questions are about playing under center, or if the guy didn't start more than 25 games or so. Or like Jay Cutler (I thought he was drafted a little high), he had everything but the success. A lot of people put that on his team.

You'd think a good follow up question would be, "If you're that excited about Tom Savage, why'd you bring Osweiler in & why are you working towards bringing Tony Romo to Houston?"

If you believe he had an option with either

I'm not excited about Savage, so "I'm excited by Savage" to me sounds like saying "anyone"

:)

still, I agree it could go worse than Savage. and I'm still hoping for something exciting to happen at the QB position

I'm not excited by the prospects of a season of Savage starting .... Sure he was better than Os .... but not by much and the problems that plagued this offense with Os weren't solved with Savage under center - Red Zone efficiency being the biggest issue. They settled for FG's no matter who was at the helm. Savage has 0TD's , 1INT and 588Yards in 3 seasons ....
Some may want to chalk that up to inexperience in the case of Savage ... but damn , he's been in the system 3 years , that excuse is worn out , he should know the offense inside out in 3 years.

C7-B8-9VMAEJbhd.jpg:large

Brian T. Smith‏Verified account@ChronBrianSmith 12h12 hours ago

Some Savage realism from #Texans' owner http://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-look-to-add-another-quarterback-to-their-11031888.php?cmpid=twitter-mobile… @houstonchron @McClain_on_NFL pic.twitter.com/02ZeIY8z6n

I'm not excited by the prospects of a season of Savage starting .... Sure he was better than Os .... but not by much and the problems that plagued this offense with Os weren't solved with Savage under center - Red Zone efficiency being the biggest issue. They settled for FG's no matter who was at the helm. Savage has 0TD's , 1INT and 588Yards in 3 seasons ....
Some may want to chalk that up to inexperience in the case of Savage ... but damn , he's been in the system 3 years , that excuse is worn out , he should know the offense inside out in 3 years.

Time to stop rummaging through the flea market and spend a high draft pick on a QB, every year if necessary, until we find one.

No one is going to cut a QB that will be any better than what we now have. If someone wants to trade us one it will be the second or third best on their roster. I am tired of settling for others castoffs. If our GM and scouts couldn't beat the bushes and flush out a decent QB for the last ten years then it's time for a new GM and scouts. Ineptitude on display for all to see.

I have never been a Romo fan. Just another boondoggle waiting to happen. Wasted money sitting in the training room on game day.
Sure does sound like a Texan signing waiting to happen though.

The Broncos schooled the godfather. If they had even a modicum of faith in oz they never would have signed a damaged Manning.

Seems the godfather had his head up a dark place when he signed oz. Elway knew exactly who / what oz was. He just made the godfather use up tons of the Texans cap space. Then we lost a second round draft pick to help undo the damage. All part of the game . Idiot.

:coffee:

If you believe he had an option with either

Oh he has an option, he's the owner, if he didn't want Os here Os wouldn't have been here. If he wanted Romo here he would already be here. Trades are there to be made if he really wants Romo now. McNair wants Romo, but he wants him for free. Typical

How many games has Savage played and experienced the speed of the NFL? You don't think he will get better the more he plays? I do. He's really only played a game and a half of NFL football, I would even go so far as to say Savage has looked better than most QB's that have only played a game and a half of football.

Look at the great QB's and compare how they did in their first 2 games in the NFL and you will see that Savage actually did pretty well.

The Broncos schooled the godfather. If they had even a modicum of faith in oz they never would have signed a damaged Manning.

Seems the godfather had his head up a dark place when he signed oz. Elway knew exactly who / what oz was. He just made the godfather use up tons of the Texans cap space. Then we lost a second round draft pick to help undo the damage. All part of the game . Idiot.

Geez your facts are screwed.

Manning was hired before Oz was drafted.

The Broncos offered Oz $16 mil. They clearly believed in him.

Oh he has an option, he's the owner, if he didn't want Os here Os wouldn't have been here. If he wanted Romo here he would already be here. Trades are there to be made if he really wants Romo now. McNair wants Romo, but he wants him for free. Typical

Unless you want the contract why trade for him? Everyone knows he won't be a Cowboy next season.

Unless you want the contract why trade for him? Everyone knows he won't be a Cowboy next season.
plus they have just admitted that they didn't have enough info on Osweiler and that's why things took such a bad turn.

I can't imagine them trading for a QB after something like that literally just happened

How many games has Savage played and experienced the speed of the NFL? You don't think he will get better the more he plays? I do. He's really only played a game and a half of NFL football, I would even go so far as to say Savage has looked better than most QB's that have only played a game and a half of football.

Look at the great QB's and compare how they did in their first 2 games in the NFL and you will see that Savage actually did pretty well.

Here's my issue with Savage. It's the same one I had with him coming out of college. Size is good. Seems intelligent. Physical skills are there. All the boxes are checked off.

But he started 27 games in college and never adapted to the speed of the game. His internal clock is slow. And it was slow for his entire career. It never sped up.

He sees things slowly and he reacts slowly. His physical gifts got him through college but if his internal clock doesn't speed up he won't make it in the NFL.

He's tough. He'll take a hit. And he can make all the throws when he commits. But I can't remember too many college QBs that I've seen that held the ball as long as he did. He would just hold the ball forever. Took an insane number of sacks on plays where he had throws available but was too slow.

If that has improved he'll be a player. Maybe even a really good one. If it hasn't improved, move on the next one.

Here's my issue with Savage. It's the same one I had with him coming out of college. Size is good. Seems intelligent. Physical skills are there. All the boxes are checked off.

But he started 27 games in college and never adapted to the speed of the game. His internal clock is slow. And it was slow for his entire career. It never sped up.

He sees things slowly and he reacts slowly. His physical gifts got him through college but if his internal clock doesn't speed up he won't make it in the NFL.

He's tough. He'll take a hit. And he can make all the throws when he commits. But I can't remember too many college QBs that I've seen that held the ball as long as he did. He would just hold the ball forever. Took an insane number of sacks on plays where he had throws available but was too slow.

If that has improved he'll be a player. Maybe even a really good one. If it hasn't improved, move on the next one.

Throw some adderall down the kid's throat and put him to work lol

I've all but given up on him. Maybe I'm taking it too personally that he's gotten hurt every time we needed him to step up.

Still, what I liked about him in 2014, was that he was a 5 star recruit out of high school as a QB. He started & impressed as a rookie. He got a second scholarship at Arizona as a QB. Then learned the offense at Pitt without being able to play, then earned a third scholarship as a walk on.

He's got to be smart. He's got to have a high football IQ. I like his tangibles. I don't know that he'll ever be top 10, but there's no reason he shouldn't be average. Well, other than O'b not knowing how to develop a QB. He should be our Tannehill, or early Dalton. Having not spent a 1st round pick on him, there's nothing to stop us from continuing to look for our "franchise" QB.

Last edited:
You'd think a good follow up question would be, "If you're that excited about Tom Savage, why'd you bring Osweiler in & why are you working towards bringing Tony Romo to Houston?"
Is it just speculation that he wants Romo? How do you know that?

I'm not excited about Savage, so "I'm excited by Savage" to me sounds like saying "anyone"

:)

still, I agree it could go worse than Savage. and I'm still hoping for something exciting to happen at the QB position
"Me neither." Tom doesn't have top echelon potential, but he could be adequate if he could stay healthy. However, he can't stay healthy, so we still need a QB, and we need him from the draft. And if we don't hit this year we need to try again next year. No matter how long it takes, the failures don't cost a lot of $$$. We couldn't look worse than we already do, taking leftovers.

Geez your facts are screwed.

Manning was hired before Oz was drafted.

The Broncos offered Oz $16 mil. They clearly believed in him.

Yep. Screwed up timeline. My bad. I stand by the rest of my post.

If they believed in oz he would still be in Denver. We will just disagree about that point.

Yep. Screwed up timeline. My bad. I stand by the rest of my post.

If they believed in oz he would still be in Denver. We will just disagree about that point.

Too each their own, but it should also be noted they were strapped for cash.

Peyton just freed up $19M for them, they already knew they were losing Malik Jackson & were on the verge of losing Cj Anderson.. Just by offering Osweiler $16M they're saying they would have been okay with losing Anderson, & not being able to sign Okung.

Last edited:

I get this, he didn't look overly slow making his reads in the 2 games he's played in last yr. I'm willing to give him a chance to learn the speed of the game and improve. The talent is there.

Texans coach Bill O’Brien said this week that he’s excited to work with quarterback Tom Savage this season, although owner Bob McNair admitted what many assumed when he said that the team would be looking to add a quarterback to the roster following the trade of Brock Osweiler.

Many believe the quarterback they’d like to add is Tony Romo, but the veteran is in a holding pattern with the Cowboys and their owner Jerry Jones suggested that it isn’t one that will resolve itself in the near future. That may force the Texans to look elsewhere.

The draft is one option, obviously, and there’s also the free agent market. Colin Kaepernick is the biggest name there and coach Bill O’Brien said on a visit to PFT Live that his name has been knocked around in Houston.

"We’ve watched him," O’Brien said. "Like I’ve said, we feel good about where we’re at right now with Tom and Brandon Weeden, but we’ve watched him and discussed him. I think that’s a fluid situation as far as free agency goes, not just for Colin Kaepernick but for the teams. As you know, your roster’s not totally set until right before you open that season. He’s a good football player, he can run, he’s been coached well by [Jim] Harbaugh and Chip Kelly. Those guys are excellent coaches, so you know the background that he has. We’ll continue to discuss all the positions on our team, but we’ve definitely watched him."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-colin-kaepernick-hes-a-good-football-player/

Jerry Jones has stated that he may not make a decision on Romo until training camp.
Whether Jerry Jones quotes, leaks from the Cowboys organization (or perhaps the Romo camp) or any trusted/connected source, or informed speculation (yeah - right!) by media insiders, there has been nothing reported as either fact or probability that to this point has been accurate. (weren't the Broncos supposed to have traded for him before the end of last weekend?)

Something tells me that's not gonna change. We'll know what's gonna happen after it's already happened.

I was speaking of Ob's options

I was speaking of Ob's options

Step down and lose millions

Stay, hopefully win and then make a power play to take over the personnel dept. (Doubtful)

Stay win and Ricky trades you to a team that needs a HC (Most likely) for a draft pick.

Stay lose and end up back with the Pats as OC after McDaniels gets another HC job. (Likely)

Step down and lose millions

Stay, hopefully win and then make a power play to take over the personnel dept. (Doubtful)

Stay win and Ricky trades you to a team that needs a HC (Most likely) for a draft pick.

Stay lose and end up back with the Pats as OC after McDaniels gets another HC job. (Likely)

What happened to play out your contract with similar results , refuse an extension and move on to another franchise.

Not sure either of those is likely. OB did not have a long tenure in NE. Trades for coaches are rare as hell and have gone to coaches with much better records.

BOB on rookie QBs and reaching for a QB:

In O’Brien’s first three seasons, the Texans employed 10 quarterbacks, including eight starters. O’Brien’s opening-day starters have been Brock Osweiler, Brian Hoyer and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Savage and Brandon Weeden are the only quarterbacks on the roster, and both are in the last year of their contracts.

Obviously, the position must be addressed. It’s up to general manager Rick Smith and O’Brien to find a quarterback they believe can make them a legitimate Super Bowl contender. It’s the highest priority.

"Everybody is striving for stability at that position," O’Brien said this week at the NFL owners meetings. "Obviously, we haven’t had stability there, and that hasn’t been any one person’s fault. We’re always trying to do what’s best for the team.

"Whether it’s the draft, or someone available in free agency that we thought was a great fit for our team, then we would do that."

Even though they need a quarterback, the Texans won’t reach for one. The same goes at other need positions like offensive tackle.

"You can’t rush and grab a guy just because you think you need that position," O’Brien said. "You have to take that thought process out of it and say, ‘This is the best thing for our team in 2017. This is what we have with our team. Let’s make sure we have the right guy at that position and not reach for somebody we’re not sure about.’

"If there’s a doubt in your mind, don’t do it. Stick with what you have, and coach them up. Whoever Rick gives us, we (coaches) try to do the best job we can. I think we’ve proven we can do that."

"I’m a big believer in the team aspect of things," O’Brien said. "We try to coach our players based on who we have, where we think they fit, what are our strengths and how are we trying to play this game against this opponent.

"We’re pretty proud as a coaching staff. We’ve done a good job, I think, developing players. We haven’t been perfect. Don’t get me wrong, we have made our share of mistakes. To me, the key for us is to get better at eliminating mistakes."

“I think it’s tough to play quarterback as a rookie in our league,” head coach Bill O’Brien told reporters at the NFL owners meetings Tuesday. ” I think that there’s no substitute for experience. So, I think it’s hard to ask a guy to come in straight from college and day one he’s a starter on your team.”

“I know that there are some really good quarterbacks in this draft that we’re looking at and we’ve met with a lot of them,” O’Brien said. “We’re excited about continuing to get to know them. But, I just think for me as a general rule, that’s tough to start them as a day one guy.”

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ady-for-stability-at-quarterback-11037052.php

Last edited:
What happened to play out your contract with similar results , refuse an extension and move on to another franchise.

This very well could be the end result, to the detriment of the Texans franchise.

I can just imagine Bob/Cletus/Ricky McNair's new HC hire.

This very well could be the end result, to the detriment of the Texans franchise.

I can just imagine Bob/Cletus/Ricky McNair's new HC hire.

If McNair is going to stick with Rick Smith, I hope he lets him get involved in the HC search. It's important to McNair that his HC & GM are able to work together. Rick should be part of the HC hiring process.

I wonder how Crennel & Rick are getting along :thinking:

Not starting day 1 and not starting as a rookie are two very different things.

& saying it's difficult for a rookie to start day 1 doesn't mean it's not possible. If O'b truly feels this way & we draft someone he'll start over Savage/Weeden, that would say a lot about that rookie. IMO.

If McNair is going to stick with Rick Smith, I hope he lets him get involved in the HC search. It's important to McNair that his HC & GM are able to work together. Rick should be part of the HC hiring process.

I wonder how Crennel & Rick are getting along :thinking:
As long as Vrabel stays and O'B is given the boot. For some reason I don't want him to leave. Seems like he could be a Cowher type of coach.

This is for anyone to answer, is a 4th rd pick that can become a 3rd more valuable than Tony Romo playing 80% of the snaps at qb?

And this is also for anyone to answer:

Has this regime spent more to get rid of a qb (2oz) then to get one (4savage) in the draft?

Amazing job kirby.
I think when you're stuck as a franchise, you have to self evaluate closely. As I stated b4, the texans are like the pre flacco ravens. Ravens couldnt beat steelers and were missing the playoffs post 2000 superbowl. Once they got flacco, their fortunes changed. Is flacco elite? No, but he has the talent to do it and look elite for stretches.

Back