Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What's your plan for QB next season?

I think when you're stuck as a franchise, you have to self evaluate closely. As I stated b4, the texans are like the pre flacco ravens. Ravens couldnt beat steelers and were missing the playoffs post 2000 superbowl. Once they got flacco, their fortunes changed. Is flacco elite? No, but he has the talent to do it and look elite for stretches.

So that means we need to give away 2nd round picks & stay clear of QBs in the 1st three rounds?

How far up would next year's 2nd & this year's 6th move us up in this draft? Two, maybe three spots?

So that means we need to give away 2nd round picks & stay clear of QBs in the 1st three rounds?

How far up would next year's 2nd & this year's 6th move us up in this draft? Two, maybe three spots?

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they have to keep drafting or signing one until they get the guy. The need to evaluate the guy they deem as that guy, draft him, and keep it moving. The proof is in the pudding and this division is getting alot better. I dont care who it is, just get him. Flacco isn't elite and neither is eli, but they have the talent to play elite in stretches. There aren't many guys who can pack their teams like Brady and Peyton did, those are generational qbs, thats not a reason to pass on qbs.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying they have to keep drafting or signing one until they get the guy. The need to evaluate the guy they deem as that guy, draft him, and keep it moving. The proof is in the pudding and this division is getting alot better. I dont care who it is, just get him. Flacco isn't elite and neither is eli, but they have the talent to play elite in stretches. There aren't many guys who can pack their teams like Brady and Peyton did, those are generational qbs, thats not a reason to pass on qbs.

Welp:

SiriusXM NFL Radio

✔@SiriusXMNFL

Notre Dame HC @CoachBrianKelly: DeShone Kizer should still be in college. Needs more time to grow on & off field. He isn't complete yet.

12:46 PM - 3 Apr 2017

Adam Schefter

✔@AdamSchefter

Ole Miss QB Chad Kelly left his day today after 12 throws, holding his hand.

1:00 PM - 3 Apr 2017
I was listening to that and it comes as no surprise. To me, Kelly is going to be a really late draft pick. Of all the players, the qb has to be the squarest guy on the block. He didn't receive a combine invite, so it doesn't look good for him.

Kizer isn't ready, neither is trubisky. I don't know why nfl teams feel the need to rush guys on the field now. Palmer won the heisman, didn't play a snap as a rookie. Rivers played 4 full years and sat on the bench for 2 yrs. Rodgers, albeit he was behind Favre, packers took a qb in the 2nd and 7th rd the same yr they traded Favre. Even if they get Romo, they should still draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd rd.

Can I say again that I don't really care as long as McNair, Smith and O'Brien have no part of the process? Kubiak built a monster. Wade coached a monster. RAC evolved our monster. O'Brien, Smith and McNair have spent the past 6 years doing their best to Ufck it up. How we haven't brought in a new coach (lil Shan?), is beyond me - we have a guy who took a top 5 offense and turned it into "we paid the Browns to get rid of our starting quarterback". The amount of spin to make that a positive is just ... no words.

NO QUARTERBACK WILL TRULY SUCCEED UNDER BILL O'BRIEN

I don't know at this point but I can't imagine going with the quarterbacks currently on our roster, if we do I see maybe an 8-8 season, anybody remember our red zone offense last season, how pathetic it was, yet no offensive coordinator needed this season??? what makes this hard headed Bill Obrien think things will be any different this season. Well atleast it will still be fun watching him throw his hissy fits on the sideline. #1 defense in the league but on the offensive side we have Bill Obrien as head coach-quarterback guru-offensive coordinator guru with no proven quarterback, a running game that is barely average and an offensive line that needs major overhaul. Not a pretty picture for success.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was listening to that and it comes as no surprise. To me, Kelly is going to be a really late draft pick. Of all the players, the qb has to be the squarest guy on the block. He didn't receive a combine invite, so it doesn't look good for him.

Kizer isn't ready, neither is trubisky. I don't know why nfl teams feel the need to rush guys on the field now. Palmer won the heisman, didn't play a snap as a rookie. Rivers played 4 full years and sat on the bench for 2 yrs. Rodgers, albeit he was behind Favre, packers took a qb in the 2nd and 7th rd the same yr they traded Favre. Even if they get Romo, they should still draft a qb in the 1st or 2nd rd.

Counter:

Cam Newton started his rookie year and looked really good.
Russell Wilson started his rookie year and played some very solid football.
Andrew Luck looked solid in his rookie year as well. He had a lot of turnovers but he still played great.
Big Ben even though he got the start due to injuries really played great in his rookie year.
Dak Prescott was awesome on his rookie debut.

Therefore, there is nothing wrong with putting some of these quarterbacks in there with the wolves from day one. Its a gamble that works out sometimes.

Now there are cases in which players like Ryan Mallett who sat and when given the chance, still didn't workout. I can name quite of few of those. But you get my drift.

So basically Scooter get rid of McNair, Smith and O'Brien huh.

Little Shanny is one of those special cases. It's very hard to tell if these new head coaches will pan out. We will see how he fares in San Francisco as a head coach.

If McNair is going to stick with Rick Smith, I hope he lets him get involved in the HC search. It's important to McNair that his HC & GM are able to work together. Rick should be part of the HC hiring process.

I wonder how Crennel & Rick are getting along :thinking:

Crennel is already the de-facto head coach, OB a now a glorified OC.

You really want the godfather selecting our next head coach? :dontknowa

Patience grasshopper. OB will bolt from this cluster as soon as his contract is up.

:coffee:

So basically Scooter get rid of McNair, Smith and O'Brien huh.

Little Shanny is one of those special cases. It's very hard to tell if these new head coaches will pan out. We will see how he fares in San Francisco as a head coach.

Yes. Fire O'Brien first obviously. He has no ability - as a coach, coordinator, motivator, gameplanner, scouter, teacher, or any other duty as a head coach (his OC was hired as a defensive coach). He has no tree and his offensive staff has more experience on Saturdays than Sundays. Fire or move Smith out of the process, we've gone over this ad nauseum - he has zero connect with coaches and scouts on the offensive side. We can't fire McNair, but Kubiak did - for a while ... and we peaked at 12 wins in spite of the world and management falling apart. We need a veteran coach able to muscle management out of the picture long enough to reach a goal. Without Smith around to tell McNair how he can 'make the team more awesome like Jerry Jones would', we could hopefully avoid weird signings.

Unlike Kubiak who solo built the team and caught all types of hell for it, we have everything in place except for the head coach and GM. We're so close, but in an ideal world our quarterback would be a byproduct, not a savior.

Crennel is already the de-facto head coach, OB a now a glorified OC.

You really want the godfather selecting our next head coach? :dontknowa

Patience grasshopper. OB will bolt from this cluster as soon as his contract is up.

Do you guys really believe the stuff you type? De-facto head coach. LOL

De-facto head coach. LOL
OB is the head coach which also does what an OC is supposed to do

Crennel is an "assistant head coach" which will cover the HC responsabilities that OB won't be able to address while doing the job of the OC

maybe it's not 100% accurate to call him the de-facto HC, but certainly it's not a laughable assumption...

OB is the head coach which also does what an OC is supposed to do

Crennel is an "assistant head coach" which will cover the HC responsabilities that OB won't be able to address while doing the job of the OC

maybe it's not 100% accurate to call him the de-facto HC, but certainly it's not a laughable assumption...

Who is his boss?

Do you guys really believe the stuff you type? De-facto head coach. LOL

How do you not believe it?

Crennel moved upstairs from DC job to "oversee" the team on game day. DC job handed to Vrabel. OC Godsey is fired. OB now relegate to calling the plays from the sideline.

Have to be pretty dense not to realize what happened. I am sure OB realizes it.

Who is his boss?

that's what de-facto means

he's not officially the HC, but he has the responsabilities a HC has in place of our HC which decided to be the de-facto (and also the official) OC

or

he just helps the HC with some analysis to lighten the workload

any way you look at it it's plausible that someone would call him the "de-facto HC"

it might be a stretch but it's not absurd

I don't know at this point but I can't imagine going with the quarterbacks currently on our roster, if we do I see maybe an 8-8 season, anybody remember our red zone offense last season, how pathetic it was, yet no offensive coordinator needed this season??? what makes this hard headed Bill Obrien think things will be any different this season. Well atleast it will still be fun watching him throw his hissy fits on the sideline. #1 defense in the league but on the offensive side we have Bill Obrien as head coach-quarterback guru-offensive coordinator guru with no proven quarterback, a running game that is barely average and an offensive line that needs major overhaul. Not a pretty picture for success.

Man... that really does sound like the Brian Billick Ravens. If we find our Flacco...

Read an article that said OB keeps getting the Texans to the playoffs despite having no true QB. I guess the writer didn't have the balls to say the Texans make it to the playoffs despite OB and rick smith

Yes. Fire O'Brien first obviously. He has no ability - as a coach, coordinator, motivator, gameplanner, scouter, teacher, or any other duty as a head coach (his OC was hired as a defensive coach).

Defensive assistant. That's more like the water boy than a coach.

He has no tree and his offensive staff has more experience on Saturdays than Sundays.

That's interesting.

OL- Mike Devlin: Coached 1 season at the collegiate level. 11 seasons in the NFL
TE- Tim Kelly: 1 season at the collegiate level 0 NFL
RB- Charles London: 5 seasons at the collegiate level. 3 seasons in the NFL
WR- John Perry: 20 college 3 NFL
QB- Sean Ryan: 4 college 4 NFL
OC- Bill O'Brien: 13 college 7 NFL

Total: 44 college 51 NFL

I didn't count experience as "graduate assistant or offensive assistant" just coaching.

Fire or move Smith out of the process, we've gone over this ad nauseum - he has zero connect with coaches and scouts on the offensive side.

eh... he was part of building that top 5 offense with Kubiak. I understand he hasn't done much since Kubiak left, but... so far, I see if you give him an actual coach, he'll get you the players you need.

top 5 coach, he'll get you top 5 players.

We can't fire McNair, but Kubiak did - for a while ... and we peaked at 12 wins in spite of the world and management falling apart. We need a veteran coach able to muscle management out of the picture long enough to reach a goal. Without Smith around to tell McNair how he can 'make the team more awesome like Jerry Jones would', we could hopefully avoid weird signings.

Unlike Kubiak who solo built the team and caught all types of hell for it, we have everything in place except for the head coach and GM. We're so close, but in an ideal world our quarterback would be a byproduct, not a savior.

I think if you have a coach who can demonstrate they know what they're doing, McNair will step back. When his coaches/gms aren't demonstrating they can make good decisions, he'll make them. I can't imagine a better way to do it.

Do you really trust this staff to make the right call on QBs?

C8k7cEzXkAI6tu5.jpg

You better knock on wood and throw salt over your shoulder and whatever else keeps bad juju away. We had the worst qb in the league last year, don't dig us further than that.

On the bright side maybe it's for the best that we got awful qbs, if os was mediocre who knows how many years of mediocrity we would have gotten forced upon us...

I'd say, let's keep trying to find our tom brady, and hope we only get crap in the meamtime.
I don't wanto to stumble upon one of those qb that give hope, but nothing more

Edit: to be clear, I was joking about the "let's see what we got"
It feels like it's the only argument I've heard in the last 4 years at qb

Do you really trust this staff to make the right call on QBs?

C8k7cEzXkAI6tu5.jpg
]

And some of you doubted that so far the Texans are where crap and QB play are interchangeable? Imagine if zshawn10 had included the QB's from Carr up to 2014 in this chart.

On the bright side maybe it's for the best that we got awful qbs, if os was mediocre who knows how many years of mediocrity we would have gotten forced upon us...

I'd say, let's keep trying to find our tom brady, and hope we only get crap in the meamtime.
I don't wanto to stumble upon one of those qb that give hope, but nothing more

Edit: to be clear, I was joking about the "let's see what we got"
It feels like it's the only argument I've heard in the last 4 years at qb

Tom Brady is a rare bread. Just get a Flacco or Eli type.

Johnny Football BAY BEE I know we had to looked at him back when we had the No 1 Pick

im not saying he will be good but ya know he will sell Jerserys Here in Houston ....

Things have worked out pretty damn well for Savage.

He's had a chance to be here through everything. Observe. Get a little playing time.

Of course he could've gotten the job earlier, but he didn't and he's still here and right now considered the favorite to start the season.

Last edited:
Savage needs his shot and not some BS sit all season and then get the start after Osweiler **** the bed for 10+ weeks with a week to prepare. 2017 is what it is so lets see what Savage can do. If the Texans are that nervous sign Fitz to back him up with Weeden and the rookie but it's Savage's time. Lets see what happens.

Would Belichuck take 2 first rounders (this year and next) for Jimmy G? Would we offer same if he would take? I'm thinking they are late first rounders and not likely enough to get Belichuck to OK.

Anyone like any of the late round guys in the draft?

Webb
Kaaya
Dobbs
Peterman
Beathard
Evans?

nope
lukewarm, if all else fails
nope
yes, as early as the 2nd
meh, if all else fails
6th/7th round project at best, if all else fails

and I'll throw in that I'd take a long, hard look at Chad Kelly.

initially I was joking about the texans drafting Kelly

the more time passes the more I am convinced that might actually happen

Barring a playoff miracle, this looks like O'Brien's last season. Should the Texans blow off a 1st round QB and make Bill go with Savage? Let him bring back Fitz if he wants? Then let the next guy find his own QB? Maybe I've lost hope but there is logic to this.

Barring a playoff miracle, this looks like O'Brien's last season. Should the Texans blow off a 1st round QB and make Bill go with Savage? Let him bring back Fitz if he wants? Then let the next guy find his own QB? Maybe I've lost hope but there is logic to this.
why would you draft a QB if this was the situation?
I'd say, address other positions with players that can get past the change in HC

why would you draft a QB if this was the situation?
I'd say, address other positions with players that can get past the change in HC

I kinda hope this is the route we take. If Mcnair/Smith are really thinking of letting OB go then let him roll with his QB Savage and draft talent to put Savage in position to succeed.

Let OB earn that QB guru tag he had when we hired him by making Savage a bonafide starting QB this season.

If he fails let the next coach pick our shiny 1st round QB.

Go with Savage and have a season that could yield a high enough pick for a Rosen,Darnold or Mayfield next year or draft a QB in the first round that would yield a record that would make you draft another QB the next year LOL ... Can't put anything by these geniuses on Kirby.

Go with Savage and have a season that could yield a high enough pick for a Rosen,Darnold or Mayfield next year or draft a QB in the first round that would yield a record that would make you draft another QB the next year LOL ... Can't put anything by these geniuses on Kirby.
I'm not suggesting trying to lose. I'm just saying, go with what you've got. He passed on every QB in the '14 draft until he took Savage. His move in '15 was a QB competition between two Patriot backups. Was Osweiler foisted on O'Brien? Maybe. But who did he really want? Hackenberg?

Year 4, and Tony Romo is not coming in on a white ambulance to save him. This is what he's built. Unless he wants to bang on the table for one of these rookies, that this guy is someone he can win with now...forget it. Go with Tom and make it work. If it works, everyone is happy. If not, I'm sure there's a FBS school that will give him a gig.

Bring in Kaepernick and Johny Football and let them compete.

A QB controversy between those two all season would actually be a lot more entertaining than anything I expect to see from the Texans this season.

Just asking...

Which would you consider more important in 2017;
  • Advance past the divisional round
  • Top 10 play from our QB

Just asking...

Which would you consider more important in 2017;
  • Advance past the divisional round
  • Top 10 play from our QB
I'll take top 10 QB play. Either Savage is the real deal or we found a remarkable rookie QB in that scenario. With a top 10 QB, there's potential to be a contender year in and year out.

Back