Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I prefer trade with Jets so I could lock in the QB I think could be the best in the draft in Zach Wilson.
I was not a fan of darnold when he came out of college however like Tu'a I cannot get a clear evaluation of him in my mind. We all know that he played for horrible head coach and had a Offensive line worse than the Texans. He is only 23 years of age. I keep thinking that if we get head coach that will make Watson even better than he is should not that same coach be able to make darnold quite a bit better than he is? Not saying they had the same skillset.

Lance Zierlein compared him to Andrew Luck:
In NFL he continued his college performances as far as throwing interceptions. He ended 2020 with a shoulder injury but still played in the last one or two games as I recall.

if we ended up trading with jets I would prefer they trade him and then give us the pick but I would negotiate that as a side bet somehow. Example, Jets trade him for a 2021 first round pick we get it. They don't get a first-round pick we get both of their round 3 and they get our 2022 round two or something. Heck I don't know
Although I'm still on board with knocking out a trade with the Dolphins.....I'd look at a deal with the Jets. I've been thinking about this and IMHO, I'd take Darnold as part of the package. I'd re-sign McCarron and then let him and Darnold duke it out for the QB1 job. I'd rather use the Jets picks to start shoring up the "Dirty Dozen" (trenches & LB'ers) at this time. If Darnold is part of the trade package, his value would no longer be a RD1 pick....regardless of who's putting him on the market. If he loses the competition to McCarron, I'd hold onto Darnold until the trade deadline where I certainly might get a better return from a team that is in a desperate situation QB wise.

The Texans would have the #2 pick and in the scenario mentioned above....no need to burn that #2 pick on Zach Wilson. Texans could move that pick to a team who thinks the sun comes up and goes down over Wilson....that's going to cost them. Texans could easily gain picks in both the 2021 and 2022 NFL Draft. I could see more than a few teams making the call when the Texans announce that the #2 pick is on the block for the highest bidder. Might as well strike gold twice in the same year by trading Watson and then trade the #2 pick. I could envision the Texans suddenly being the envy of NFL teams with their bundle of picks through the next 2 drafts.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Deshaun Watson's no-trade clause puts Houston Texans in no-win situation

Jan 21, 2021

HOUSTON -- There are four teams left in the playoffs, and somehow the biggest topic in the NFL is quarterback Deshaun Watson and the Houston Texans.

We covered the basics of why Watson is unhappy with the franchise that drafted him and what his options are going forward, but let's go deeper on what would happen if the Texans trade their star quarterback.

What complicates this for the Texans?

Watson has a no-trade clause in his contract. This means Watson has a significant say in his destination, because he could choose not to waive the clause.
How rare is a no-trade clause?

The clause is not common and is usually done for quarterbacks only, although there are a few exceptions. Among quarterbacks, Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Drew Brees, Jimmy Garoppolo (but only in 2021), Russell Wilson and Tom Brady have no-trade inclusions built into their current contracts. Cardinals wide receivers DeAndre Hopkins and Larry Fitzgerald, who negotiated their own contracts in Arizona, also have no-trade clauses.

Does this mean Watson has all the leverage?

While it might seem like Watson has leverage because he could essentially choose which team he goes to, ultimately the Texans don't have to trade him. Watson signed a contract extension in September that goes through the 2025 season.
General manager Nick Caserio could find multiple trade offers he's happy with and present Watson with those options. But if Watson doesn't want to go to those destinations, he could have to stay and play or sit out.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
i heard in 2022 there will be a new CBA so sitting out this year wont even count and we would be right back here in 2022 in the same spot

badboy

Hall of Fame
Although I'm still on board with knocking out a trade with the Dolphins.....I'd look at a deal with the Jets. I've been thinking about this and IMHO, I'd take Darnold as part of the package. I'd re-sign McCarron and then let him and Darnold duke it out for the QB1 job. I'd rather use the Jets picks to start shoring up the "Dirty Dozen" (trenches & LB'ers) at this time. If Darnold is part of the trade package, his value would no longer be a RD1 pick....regardless of who's putting him on the market. If he loses the competition to McCarron, I'd hold onto Darnold until the trade deadline where I certainly might get a better return from a team that is in a desperate situation QB wise.

The Texans would have the #2 pick and in the scenario mentioned above....no need to burn that #2 pick on Zach Wilson. Texans could move that pick to a team who thinks the sun comes up and goes down over Wilson....that's going to cost them. Texans could easily gain picks in both the 2021 and 2022 NFL Draft. I could see more than a few teams making the call when the Texans announce that the #2 pick is on the block for the highest bidder. Might as well strike gold twice in the same year by trading Watson and then trade the #2 pick. I could envision the Texans suddenly being the envy of NFL teams with their bundle of picks through the next 2 drafts.
I really like Zach Wilson but if he's not there I would really consider trading the third (from Miami) pick. Like you I would get a king's ransom for Watson and then if you will a queen's ransom for the number three pick. If I trade with the Jets for the number 2 pick I definitely do not want Sam Darnold. If Jets want to trade him and then make that pick part of the trade for Watson I will consider that.

Would Detroit give 1.7 1500 points + 2.41 490 + pick for Darnold to get 1.3?

Jets gets Watson and Merci

Texans 1.2 + 1.23 +2.34 plus
2022 two first and a round two plus Q Williams.

Or...
Miami gets Watson, Merci and Cooks

Texans 1.3 +1.18 +2.36 +2.50 + Xavien Howard and strong safety Brian Cole
2022 round one and two.

If no Zach Wilson I trade 1.3 to Detroit as above.

Tunsil to Chargers for 1.13 and 3.77

Watt to Steelers for 3.87

Summary:
1.7 + 1.13 + 1.18 + 2.36 +2.50 + 3.67 [ours] + 3.77 +3.87 + corner X Howard + SS Cole + Q Williams.

2022 Jets round one and two.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Dupe

Last edited:

mussop

Hall of Fame

I would be ok with that but I would also be ok with Sewel #2. hes Going to be good.

Texian

Hall of Fame
I really like Zach Wilson but if he's not there I would really consider trading the third (from Miami) pick. Like you I would get a king's ransom for Watson and then if you will a queen's ransom for the number three pick. If I trade with the Jets for the number 2 pick I definitely do not want Sam Darnold. If Jets want to trade him and then make that pick part of the trade for Watson I will consider that.

Would Detroit give 1.7 1500 points + 2.41 490 + pick for Darnold to get 1.3?

Jets gets Watson and Merci

Texans 1.2 + 1.23 +2.34 plus
2022 two first and a round two plus Q Williams.

Or...
Miami gets Watson, Merci and Cooks

Texans 1.3 +1.18 +2.36 +2.50 + Xavien Howard and strong safety Brian Cole
2022 round one and two.

If no Zach Wilson I trade 1.3 to Detroit as above.

Tunsil to Chargers for 1.13 and 3.77

Watt to Steelers for 3.87

Summary:
1.7 + 1.13 + 1.18 + 2.36 +2.50 + 3.67 [ours] + 3.77 +3.87 + corner X Howard + SS Cole + Q Williams.

2022 Jets round one and two.
One thing is for sure if Watson is traded, the draft forum discussion would increase by 10,000% or more.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
If reports are true and Watson wants the Jets how would you guys feel about the following:

we trade Watson and Mercilus

we receive both ‘21 1st, 22 1st and 2nd and 23 1st plus Quinnen Williams
I think I'd do that.

QB Zach Wilson.
One of CB Jaycee Horn/ED Azeez Ojulari/FS Trevon Moehrig/ED Joe Tryon/ED Jayson Oweh
Two 1sts and two 2nds next year.
Two 1sts in 2023.
A young monster in Quinnen Williams.
Much, much needed cap space.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’ll have to look at it again, but I think trading Watson & Mercilus cancels out & we’re still $6M or so over.

There are other things we can do in addition to this trade, just saying on its own, not going to make cap space.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I’ll have to look at it again, but I think trading Watson & Mercilus cancels out & we’re still $6M or so over.

There are other things we can do in addition to this trade, just saying on its own, not going to make cap space.
I just looked trading both Mercilus & Watson adds like $32M to our cap... doesn’t help at all.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
I think I'd do that.

QB Zach Wilson.
One of CB Jaycee Horn/ED Azeez Ojulari/FS Trevon Moehrig/ED Joe Tryon/ED Jayson Oweh
Two 1sts and 2 2nds next year.
Two 1sts in 2023.
A young monster in Quinnen Williams.
So the Jets should get their self into the same Hot Mess the Texans are in. I don’t see it happening

otisbean

Veteran
Contributor's Club
So the Jets should get their self into the same Hot Mess the Texans are in. I don’t see it happening
Any team trading for Watson is going to have to pay through the nose. I can’t remember a 25yr, franchise QB ever being traded.

They’d still have a 1st next year plus they can trade Darnold to recoup a pick or 2. They’d have to pay WM next season but at some point in the near future they could cut him without a big penalty

badboy

Hall of Fame
If reports are true and Watson wants the Jets how would you guys feel about the following:

we trade Watson and Mercilus

we receive both ‘21 1st, 22 1st and 2nd and 23 1st plus Quinnen Williams
[/QUOTE\] I would say yes but I really want more players now. There are several in this draft that could be excellent players for a long time. I would like to have their 2.34 and Mekhi becton.

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Apparently Stafford has a roster bonus triggered if he's on the team 5 days into the new season. Its 10 million. Means lions will act fast to trade him...

One less legit qb in the market could drive up dw's trade value afterward.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
This is exactly the kind of deal I would want and Sam Darnold must be part of the trade. I'd even say (3) 1st rd picks, (2) 2nd round picks and Darnold. I'm not trading with the Dolphins just in case someone leap frogs them in a trade with the Jets and nabs the QB the Texans target (Colts for example).

I agree 💯 with this.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Apparently Stafford has a roster bonus triggered if he's on the team 5 days into the new season. Its 10 million. Means lions will act fast to trade him...

One less legit qb in the market could drive up dw's trade value afterward.
Yes. $19.5 m cap for another team is good cost and Lions get $14 m savings. Good for everyone.

badboy

Hall of Fame
The only thing that could DRIVE this trade up is Miami and Jets wanting him instead of someone else in Division..
Yep that is probably already going on. I read an article just a few minutes ago that half of NFL teams have already contacted Houston in regards to DeShaun Watson. New York and Miami do not want to be playing the Philadelphia role allowing the other to be Nets and scoop the prize.

Does either want to go cheap for the "Deshaun Total Package"?

whodknee

Working Class Hero
Yep that is probably already going on. I read an article just a few minutes ago that half of NFL teams have already contacted Houston in regards to DeShaun Watson. New York and Miami do not want to be playing the Philadelphia role allowing the other to be Nets and scoop the prize.

Let's just hope they get Goo Gobs of picks...It will make the draft fun again. And I will hope Watson does well whatever happens..I hope he gets a ring

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
im thinking nick whats to totally rebuild alla get has many high chips has possible and maybe even trading back and get even more 2nd round chips and in the big trade offload all the bad contract we have manily

Whitney,both rbs watt cook etc etc

and then tank this year 0-16 HERE we come !!!!! so in 2022 we get the first round pick

if nick can play his cards right u can rebuild this team in like 1 year

nut

Veteran
We already know our office guys are stupid and choke artists. You got to wonder if they will cave in at the first decent offer. I don't know about Caserio but the other guys have not shown any restraint in their actions.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans

If they didn’t try to go cheap then they’re fools. It’s up to Caserio as to who drops the soap in the prison shower first.

whodknee

Working Class Hero
You do not believe that Detroit with 1.7 + the San Francisco 49ers with the 12 pick would not help to drive up his value?
Maybe..I hope they don't get desperate . This years pick is the only guarantee of a top 5..2022 could be anywhere

badboy

Hall of Fame
If they didn’t try to go cheap then they’re fools. It’s up to Caserio as to who drops the soap in the prison shower first.
Under normal circumstances I probably would agree with you OT however I don't think these are normal circumstances. You have two teams that desperately need to go to the next level. The Dolphins want to move into those teams that National TV guys talk about having a chance for the Super Bowl. NY Jets are quite a bit farther away but have the same ego. I mentioned before about their primary owner Woody Johnson Coming back and taking over control from his brother Christopher. He needs to be able to tell the other 31 owners Look at me I am back!

DeShaun Watson is a shiny bicycle under the Christmas tree that the kid expected to see only with some other kid Tooling it around the neighborhood.

badboy

Hall of Fame
im thinking nick whats to totally rebuild alla get has many high chips has possible and maybe even trading back and get even more 2nd round chips and in the big trade offload all the bad contract we have manily

Whitney,both rbs watt cook etc etc

and then tank this year 0-16 HERE we come !!!!! so in 2022 we get the first round pick

if nick can play his cards right u can rebuild this team in like 1 year
I don't think the Texans will have to tank their season to get a high pick in 2022. I just want to have an extra first and second round that year preferably from the Jets As I think Watson will take those picks in 22 lower than Jets.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We already know our office guys are stupid and choke artists. You got to wonder if they will cave in at the first decent offer. I don't know about Caserio but the other guys have not shown any restraint in their actions.
Caserio has to be 100% in charge of the draft and in my opinion that is one of the reasons EB was not signed. I am putting a lot of nuts in front of the squirrels hoping that Nick is who I think he is.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We can get together for a 3 day NFL Draft binge with grilling and beer. Texans super weekend.
yeah! And invite DeShaun Watson to make sure everyone wears a mask and stay 6 ft apart. I'm expecting Jilly to loan me her mask. If she cannot remember which pocket she put it in I will gladly help her search. DW and I are tight that way.