Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Watson's value in a trade?

I'm not understanding how "everyone" is saying Watson is "worth" multiple first & 2nd round picks this year & next,

How are we in so bad a shape because we don't have a 1st & 2nd this season.

We've still got 10 picks in the upcoming draft

I don't understand this part..

I don't understand this part..
“They” are saying our future is screwed because we don’t have a first or second round pick this year.

but”they” believe the other team will be improving their situation if they traded this year’s & next 1st & 2nd round picks.

So pretty much the best way to win a championship is with qbs on their rookie deals......once its time for an extension, release or trade them and draft another rookie qb

Too bad its not that easy ....

You look at the list of the last 10 SB winners ...

2010 was Rodgers who at the time was in the 1st year of his 2nd contract. A very reasonable 6 year $63.52 million signed in 2008 and only $6.5m in that superbowl winning season.
Five years later the same dude is inking a deal for 5 years $110m and in the final year of that deal signed to a 4 year $134 million contract.

2011 was Eli who was in the 3rd year of his second contract made $9m that season .... the two years prior he made $21.5 & $32.5m. They didn't make the playoffs in either if those years.

2012 Joe Flacco was on a rookie deal with a stacked team.

2013 Russel Wilson was on a rookie deal.

2014 Brady

2015 Peyton with a great defense. $15m

2016 Brady.

2017 Foles $4,025,433

2018 Brady.

2019 Mahomes on a rookie deal.

“They” are saying our future is screwed because we don’t have a first or second round pick this year.

but”they” believe the other team will be improving their situation if they traded this year’s & next 1st & 2nd round picks.

Ok, I get that now.

Not really sure who 'they' are so I can't comment, but I wouldn't propose a trade that left the other team's cupboard completely bare. That's what's so intriguing about the Jets or Dolphins.. they have so many early picks stockpiled as to withstand handing over a substantial amount for a talent like DW. They also aren't (the Jets in particular) mired in salary cap hell like we are.

So pretty much the best way to win a championship is with qbs on their rookie deals......once its time for an extension, release or trade them and draft another rookie qb

That's what the last 26 yrs of evidence says. Although you can usually squeeze a couple of more yrs out on the QBs 2nd deal before they start eating up to much of the cap.

Too bad its not that easy ....

You look at the list of the last 10 SB winners ...

2010 was Rodgers who at the time was in the 1st year of his 2nd contract. A very reasonable 6 year $63.52 million signed in 2008 and only $6.5m in that superbowl winning season.
Five years later the same dude is inking a deal for 5 years $110m and in the final year of that deal signed to a 4 year $134 million contract.

2011 was Eli who was in the 3rd year of his second contract made $9m that season .... the two years prior he made $21.5 & $32.5m. They didn't make the playoffs in either if those years.

2012 Joe Flacco was on a rookie deal with a stacked team.

2013 Russel Wilson was on a rookie deal.

2014 Brady

2015 Peyton with a great defense. $15m

2016 Brady.

2017 Foles $4,025,433

2018 Brady.

2019 Mahomes on a rookie deal.
Off topic - Flacco in that suberbowl run was amazing, pretty much his best football ever.

So How could nick deal with watsons future cap hit? Could he put majority of it in the next two years since those are a wash anyways or......

Ok, I get that now.

Not really sure who 'they' are so I can't comment, but I wouldn't propose a trade that left the other team's cupboard completely bare. That's what's so intriguing about the Jets or Dolphins.. they have so many early picks stockpiled as to withstand handing over a substantial amount for a talent like DW. They also aren't (the Jets in particular) mired in salary cap hell like we are.
I wouldn't mind the Texans fleecing another team for a change. I honestly can't remember the Texans being on the winning side of a trade.

I wouldn't mind the Texans fleecing another team for a change. I honestly can't remember the Texans being on the winning side of a trade.

Well of course I'd prefer the most lopsided trade in sports history.

I want every first round pick for the rest of their existence. I want them to forfeit 10% of their salary cap to us for the next decade.

We all would want all of that. I'm just talking there though about trying to brainstorm a trade idea that is at least plausible.

Well of course I'd prefer the most lopsided trade in sports history.

I want every first round pick for the rest of their existence. I want them to forfeit 10% of their salary cap to us for the next decade.

We all would want all of that. I'm just talking there though about trying to brainstorm a trade idea that is at least plausible.
I want a trade so lopsided in favor of the Texans that every GM and owner of every professional sports franchise across the entire globe will crap their pants as soon as they read about it. I want to smell that trade. Anything less is not good enough.

I want a trade so lopsided in favor of the Texans that every GM and owner of every professional sports franchise across the entire globe will crap their pants as soon as they read about it. I want to smell that trade. Anything less is not good enough.

I like how you think. A destiny changing trade. One that's talked about for ages as the trade that took a cursed city's football program and turned it into the NFL's winningest dynasty.
Once can dream.....it's often all we have left.

There is absolutely no way you trade DW4 UNLESS the Jets/Dolphins make the Texans an offer there is no way they can refuse.

Yep, it looks like Bienemy is going to get the job. Cal's Cucked in DW4's corner and the Texans will continue to be a loser org. The lost decade.

I'm holding him to the same standard that BOB was held too.

2 yrs.

OB had far more than 2 years to figure out how to be competent NFL HC...OC....GM. That last title was given out of pure stupidity.

I'd want the Jets 1st 3 rounds of picks over the next 3 years.

1st - 2 picks
2nd - 1 pick
3rd - 2 picks (+ Houston's own 3rd rd pick) = 3 picks

1st - 2 picks (+ Houston's own 1st rd pick) = 3 picks
2nd - 1 pick (+ Houston's own 2nd rd pick) = 2 picks
3rd - 1 pick (+ Houston's own 3rd rd pick) = 2 pick

1st - 1 pick (+ Houston's own 1st rd pick) = 2 picks
3rd - 1 pick (+ Houston's own 3rd rd pick) = 2 picks

+ Becton and McGovern

The draft haul would be:
Five 1st round picks from the Jets
Three 2nd round pick from the Jets
Four 3rd round picks from the Jets

Otherwise we keep DW4, he can sit at home if he doesn't want to play with no paycheck all year. That's going to be tough with that 154 Mil contract that he won't be able to touch! Hope he didn't splurge ahead of that new contract!

the Jets/Dolphins make the Texans an offer there is no way they can refuse.
And the Jets/Dolphins will want to short you a 1st and give Darnold/Tua instead. There's no way either of those guys would pull a 1st in this draft. OK, maybe Gruden would give a 1st for Tua. Because he's such a Gruden. And that's a big maybe.

OB had far more than 2 years to figure out how to be competent NFL HC...OC....GM. That last title was given out of pure stupidity.

This has nothing to do with BOB.

This has to do with the state of talent or lack there of on the current team and the killer salary cap hit in the future. This is really quite simply a math equation.

And the Jets/Dolphins will want to short you a 1st and give Darnold/Tua instead. There's no way either of those guys would pull a 1st in this draft. OK, maybe Gruden would give a 1st for Tua. Because he's such a Gruden. And that's a big maybe.
That is an offer they could refuse. Personally I think it is down to the Jets (+ DW4 likes NYJ) because they can offer the most value, 2 1st in 2021 and 2 1st in 2022, throw in a couple of 2nd rds to make the negotiations interesting. Dolphins cannot do that, maybe add a 1st in 2023. And if they want to throw in Darnold or Tua on top that, OK.

Basically OB suffered from Coach Think, he could only see the current season at hand. OB could not see beyond that, it was all or nothing for him. That is why the Texans are in Cap Hell, with no draft picks and some very bad contracts. If OB could survey the landscape from a 3 to 4 year perspective/view (GM Think) he would have never made all those bone head idiotic decisions he made. His focus was always on the now, never on the future.

That is an offer they could refuse. Personally I think it is down to the Jets (+ DW4 likes NYJ) because they can offer the most value, 2 1st in 2021 and 2 1st in 2022, throw in a couple of 2nd rds to make the negotiations interesting. Dolphins cannot do that, maybe add a 1st in 2023. And if they want to throw in Darnold or Tua on top that, OK.

And his GF is an aspiring model.

NY would be a destination spot for her.

Basically OB suffered from Coach Think, he could only see the current season at hand. OB could not see beyond that, it was all or nothing for him. That is why the Texans are in Cap Hell, with no draft picks and some very bad contracts. If OB could survey the landscape from a 3 to 4 year perspective/view (GM Think) he would have never made all those bone head idiotic decisions he made. His focus was always on the now, never on the future.

This is one of the things that makes BB special.

HC with a long term plan.

I'd want the Jets 1st 3 rounds of picks over the next 3 years.

1st - 2 picks
2nd - 1 pick
3rd - 2 picks (+ Houston's own 3rd rd pick) = 3 picks

1st - 2 picks (+ Houston's own 1st rd pick) = 3 picks
3rd - 1 pick (+ Houston's own 3rd rd pick) = 2 pick

1st - 1 pick (+ Houston's own 1st rd pick) = 2 picks
3rd - 1 pick (+ Houston's own 3rd rd pick) = 2 picks

+ Becton and McGovern

The draft haul would be:
Five 1st round picks from the Jets
Three 2nd round pick from the Jets
Four 3rd round picks from the Jets

Otherwise we keep DW4, he can sit at home if he doesn't want to play with no paycheck all year. That's going to be tough with that 154 Mil contract that he won't be able to touch! Hope he didn't splurge ahead of that new contract!

This trade will never happen

I could see

2021 1st/2nd/4th
2022 1st/2nd
2023 2nd and having to trade back a 4th.

I'm not hoping.. I want DW4 here...Just tired of the drama

I want him to stay as well. Mainly because I don't trust the Texans to actually get what he's worth in a trade. Watson, like a few other QBs that come along now and then, is a QB that will take you to the promised land. But not unless he gets some help. And that's also a problem right now, he's not getting any help for at least a season or two, so you just have to hope he doesn't end up in a wheelchair before then.

Be careful what you wish for. Imagine smelling some of Bob's trades.

there was some tv host today saying watson is worth (8!!!!) 1st round picks ... LOL im like okay now we are talking :P

Actually the Texans may get next to nothing in a Watson Trade. All it would take would be for Deshaun play it smart and stays within the rules:

The issue is twofold:

1) What is Deshaun's motivation for asking to be traded?

He is not looking for money, his contract is set. What he wants is what Patrick Mahonnes already has. A team that can win now, and has a good chance of being a contender every year for the the foreseeable future. What he wants, is to play for a Dynasty.

So if he is traded to a team that is forced to give up all their future draft capital, or key players to the Texans as fair compensation, he will have defeated his entire purpose in asking for a trade in the first place.

2) You ask how could Deshaun stop the Texans from getting fair compensation (ie Five to Six 1st Round Draft Picks or their equivalent).

Well our good buddy "Jack Easterby" handed his that ability when he gave him the "No Trade Clause" in his contract.

All Deshaun has to do is:

A) Refuse to show up for OTA's, "But does show up for Mandatory Mini Camp"
B) Refer to Cal McNair as "Tommy Boy" at every news conference or in every Tweet. "In an ambiguous sort of way that Deshaun is very good at"
C) Have a "Back Injury" in training camp, so he cannot practice or play in games. "Back Injuries are perfect in that they are so hard diagnose or dispute (see Jalen Ramsey)"

He does this and the Texans are forced to trade him at any price.

Deshaun with his "No Trade Clause" can then nix any trade that the Texans propose that has his new team giving up anything more than say a 3rd or 4th Round draft pick back as compensation to the Texans.

I know everyone is going to say this is a crazy "Conspiracy Theory", but this is a unique situation. This course of action, is the only path forward that meets Deshaun's goals, and Deshuan absolutely has the legal leverage to make this happen.

Deshaun is a very smart man, and is utterly ruthless in order to achieve his goals. This path is the only one that achieves what he desires, so why would he not do it.

If I were Deshaun, and crossed the Rubicon and decided to demand a trade, this is what I would do. I do not expect anything less from Deshaun.

If Deshaun leaves, he will will not play nice and show mercy to the Texans. He will stick a dagger in the Texans heart to give his new team the best chance he can to be the Dynasty he is looking for.

Actually the Texans may get next to nothing in a Watson Trade. All it would take would be for Deshaun play it smart and stays within the rules:

The issue is twofold:

He is not looking for money, his contract is set. What he wants is what Patrick Mahonnes already has. A team that can win now, and has a good chance of being a contender every year for the the foreseeable future. What he wants, is to play for a Dynasty.

So if he is traded to a team that is forced to give up all their future draft capital, or key players to the Texans as fair compensation, he will have defeated his entire purpose in asking for a trade in the first place.

2) You ask how could Deshaun stop the Texans from getting fair compensation (ie Five to Six 1st Round Draft Picks or their equivalent).

Well our good buddy "Jack Easterby" handed his that ability when he gave him the "No Trade Clause" in his contract.

B) Refer to Cal McNair as "Tommy Boy" at every news conference or in every Tweet. "In an ambiguous sort of way that Deshaun is very good at"
C) Have a "Back Injury" in training camp, so he cannot practice or play in games. "Back Injuries are perfect in that they are so hard diagnose or dispute (see Jalen Ramsey)"

Deshaun with his "No Trade Clause" can then nix any trade that the Texans propose that has his new team giving up anything more than say a 3rd or 4th Round draft pick back as compensation to the Texans.

I know everyone is going to say this is a crazy "Conspiracy Theory", but this is a unique situation. This course of action, is the only path forward that meets Deshaun's goals, and Deshuan absolutely has the legal leverage to make this happen.

Deshaun is a very smart man, and is utterly ruthless in order to achieve his goals. This path is the only one that achieves what he desires, so why would he not do it.

If I were Deshaun, and crossed the Rubicon and decided to demand a trade, this is what I would do. I do not expect anything less from Deshaun.

If Deshaun leaves, he will will not play nice and show mercy to the Texans. He will stick a dagger in the Texans heart to give his new team the best chance he can to be the Dynasty he is looking for.

The more often you repeat this drivel, the more you show your ignorance and gullibility

2 years for the new coach? If so You know those two years are rebuilding years right, my expectation for the next year or so is quite low

Depending on what happens if it is a full rebuild. If EB is hired just to make Watson happy and ends up awful...then total rebuild. If he stays and can learn the system fast. Plus we are not bench warmers during the FA period and nail the draft. We could be decent next year and then much better in 22-23 season. I'm honestly starting to feel it is better if Watson leaves. He is showing that he is not as big a team player as we thought he was. And he airs dirty laundry in public. Meaning if he is upset he is going to do it in the locker room. Not a good environment for rookies and players.

Start a fresh new slate with a new GM and HC and more staff working hand in hand to win titles.

His $40M salary drops his trade value somewhat but he is still worth 3 firsts and more. He balks we tell him to sit and not get paid. Texans have the leverage but I still expect them to screw this up.

Not 3 1sts he is not that good. Maybe if he had a few rings. 2 and a 2nd or 3rd, perhaps a player or 2 also. The Dolphins rumor is Tua and 2 1sts and a 2nd. Jets say that they can out do the Dolphins...

The more often you repeat this drivel, the more you show your ignorance and gullibility

No problem. I said what I wanted to say, and I can see that everyone is tired of my argument, so I will put it to bed.

We will see how this plays out.

The best thing would be for Cal to fire Easterby, and make amends with Deshaun.

But Cal continues down the road only listening to what Jack tells him, and continues marginalizes Deshaun. Deshaun could get pissed off enough to actually engage in the worst case scenario I laid out. I hope not, but it is possible.

The issue is twofold:

At what point are the Texans actually forced to trade him..

as in they have literally zero other choices.. when does that happen?

If DW4 has a no trade clause via jack Easterby???

Could he tell the texans you can only trade me to jets for 2 firsts. Thats it.

At what point are the Texans actually forced to trade him..

as in they have literally zero other choices.. when does that happen?
It would not take very much gigging for Cal to say "Get him out of here I do not care what we get in return". Remember "Tommy Boy" is not the sharpest pencil in the box, his feelings get hurt very easily, and most of all Jack Easterby will be whispering in his ear "We should get rid of Deshaun and sign Tim Tebow, he is a Man of God like us".

All jokes aside, it would not take much to get Cal to blow his top, and do something completely irrational (especially with Jack's guidance). Cassario would stand up against it, but if Cal is as foolish as he seems. It could easily happen.

It would not take very much gigging for Cal to say "Get him out of here I do not care what we get in return". Remember "Tommy Boy" is not the sharpest pencil in the box, his feelings get hurt very easily, and most of all Jack Easterby will be whispering in his ear "We should get rid of Deshaun and sign Tim Tebow, he is a Man of God like us".

All jokes aside, it would not take much to get Cal to blow his top, and do something completely irrational (especially with Jack's guidance). Cassario would stand up against it, but if Cal is as foolish as he seems. It could easily happen.

And you base this on your long relationship with Cal McNair and understanding of how he reacts to 25 year olds taking pop shots on Twitter?

No problem. I said what I wanted to say, and I can see that everyone is tired of my argument, so I will put it to bed.

We will see how this plays out.

The best thing would be for Cal to fire Easterby, and make amends with Deshaun.

But Cal continues down the road only listening to what Jack tells him, and continues marginalizes Deshaun. Deshaun could get pissed off enough to actually engage in the worst case scenario I laid out. I hope not, but it is possible.

Best would be trade DW4 for a kings ransom rebuild their team with a bunch of picks from the trade and find a QB on their rookie contract.

Right, and so where is the actual cut and dry forced part..?

Back