Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes, unlike the issues the Texans have had with other players, the Tunsil story has been kept under wraps. The Patriot way.
This is a good thing, because it gives everybody a chance to kiss and makeup. Or get as much value as possible for Tunsil.

Let the Dolphins be a cautionary tale of what can happen when you trade your LT. Tua is getting the crap beat out of him.

What players did the Dolphins pick with the picks they got for Tunsil?

badboy

Hall of Fame
IMO for Tunsil the San Fran pick Dolphins have + X Howard would be really good; however I now think with Howard getting his third pro bowl he would not be part of any deal. Also I think Nick prefers draft picks 1.21 ish and 2022 round two now at about #53 would seal it for me. *Note Dolphins own round 3 goes to NYG and Miami gets SF's.

Dolphins used Texans picks for L Tunsil for :

The Dolphins got Igbinoghene and Kindley with the first-round pick in 2020 after making a trade with Green Bay to go down from 26th to 30th overall (throwing in their own fourth-round selection to move up in that round to get Kindley), they got Waddle with the 2021 first-round pick after moving from third to 12th to sixth and took Holland with the 2021 second-round selection.

4 th round OG Solomon Kindley started 13 of 16 rookie season but as have others apparently got in HC dog house and in 2021 replaced by Liam Eichenberg. E has moved to LT and IMO Tunsil would move to RT. This year they are referring to Kindley as the "mystery" going from starter snaps to third team and back same week in preseason. He started 2 games this season before line coach began shuffling players around... Tytus Howard? Hunt, Austin Jackson and Eichenberg part of the musical chairs. Also Kindley has had Covid issues. Still a starter for rookie 4th round? Amazing.

1st round corner Noah Igbinoghene was not in my wheel house let alone pick #30 coming from Auburn. Not calling him a bust but he has been--ineffective; perhaps because he plays behind X and Byron Jones. I think Igbin was a 'safety net' of sorts as Byron Jones signed his whopper deal in March 2020 after Dolphins extended X in 2019. X wasn't happy. What if they had drafted RB Helaire or D'Andre Swift?

2021 WR Jalen Waddell is being mentioned as OROA and FS Jevon Holland (round 2 Texans) was mentioned last game as one of best in NFL.

This is type of draft we should get from a Tunsil trade...

Jack Burton

Veteran
This is a good thing, because it gives everybody a chance to kiss and makeup. Or get as much value as possible for Tunsil.

Let the Dolphins be a cautionary tale of what can happen when you trade your LT. Tua is getting the crap beat out of him.

What players did the Dolphins pick with the picks they got for Tunsil?
So your Ok with trading Tunsil with Watson back to MIA?
I like it because they can just draft Neal who’s a slam dunk at LT, save the money and have picks for both to rebuild.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I like it because they can just draft Neal who’s a slam dunk at LT, save the money and have picks for both to rebuild.
What if Neal is off the board? I think he’s going #1 after everything is said and done.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
4 th round OG Solomon Kindley started 13 of 16 rookie season but as have others apparently got in HC dog house and in 2021 replaced by Liam Eichenberg. E has moved to LT and IMO Tunsil would move to RT. This year they are referring to Kindley as the "mystery" going from starter snaps to third team and back same week in preseason. He started 2 games this season before line coach began shuffling players around... Tytus Howard? Hunt, Austin Jackson and Eichenberg part of the musical chairs. Also Kindley has had Covid issues. Still a starter for rookie 4th round? Amazing.

1st round corner Noah Igbinoghene was not in my wheel house let alone pick #30 coming from Auburn. Not calling him a bust but he has been--ineffective; perhaps because he plays behind X and Byron Jones. I think Igbin was a 'safety net' of sorts as Byron Jones signed his whopper deal in March 2020 after Dolphins extended X in 2019. X wasn't happy. What if they had drafted RB Helaire or D'Andre Swift?

2021 WR Jalen Waddell is being mentioned as OROA and FS Jevon Holland (round 2 Texans) was mentioned last game as one of best in NFL.

This is type of draft we should get from a Tunsil trade...
Wait. What?? Tunsil to RT? Has Tunsil shown any ability or desire to play RT? Why would anyone suggest Tunsil play RT?

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Wait. What?? Tunsil to RT? Has Tunsil shown any ability or desire to play RT? Why would anyone suggest Tunsil play RT?
For Miami, to protect Tua’s blindside (left handed QB). And is only speculation on previous poster’s part.
But this justifies Miami choosing to trade their pro bowl LT even before performances began to slide and desire to see the field was tested.

Don’t want your cap space chips behind the LT position when you play a leftie.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I assume you know that Tua's is a left-hander for the Dolphins? His blind is right side.. Liam eichenberg is looking good at left tackle and should be left there at least for now. I think tunsil will be fine at right tackle and would be okay with the move as when contract extension comes up he will get paid as blindside protector. You want your best OT protecting The Blind Side. If it doesn't work out it's easy to swap the two players. Surprised you are surprised.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
I assume you know that Tua's is a left-hander for the Dolphins? His blind is right side.. Liam eichenberg is looking good at left tackle and should be left there at least for now. I think tunsil will be fine at right tackle and would be okay with the move as when contract extension comes up he will get paid as blindside protector. You want your best OT protecting The Blind Side. If it doesn't work out it's easy to swap the two players. Surprised you are surprised.
I'm surprised because you rarely hear a team moving a premier LT to RT. Also, when players switch from one side to the next, their mechanics change. It's not as easy as fans think. Do you have an example in NFL history where one of the highest paid LT switched to RT and was successful?

What is the most difficult position switch for an offensive lineman to make on the O-line that the majority of people think is easy? (ex: OT to OG or LT to RT etc) @pmeredith77

I get asked this question more than any other. The majority of people believe switching positions is easy because they’ve never done it before. Moving from side to side is easy for some, but most often, it takes a while to adjust. In the immortal words of Josh Sitton, switching from one side to the other is “like wiping your ass with the other hand.”

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.

According to social media, switching from tackle to guard is the “easy” solution for a tackle who’s struggling. Not so fast my friend. If an offensive tackle has good hands, generally has good movement skills but might lack some foot quickness to play tackle, then moving inside could be productive. If an offensive tackle is struggling with his strike and punch location, plus has bad feet, then moving inside is a no-go. Things happen fast at guard. Your hands must be ready for action now. And if you miss with your hands, your base better be good so you’re able to recover.

So in short, moving a struggling OT to OG isn’t easy, and it’s rarely the solution.

Ask a former NFL player: How hard is it for linemen to switch positions? - SBNation.com

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Depends on Tunsil's attitude. If he wants to leave then I'm ok with letting him walk.

I like Cross as much as I like Neal at LT. Both will be long time starters. Neal has also played RT at a high level. If Caserio would be able to get a 1st/2nd for Tunsil then really you rented Tunsil for 3 yrs for a 1st and I would be OK with that.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I'm surprised because you rarely hear a team moving a premier LT to RT. Also, when players switch from one side to the next, their mechanics change. It's not as easy as fans think. Do you have an example in NFL history where one of the highest paid LT switched to RT and was successful?

What is the most difficult position switch for an offensive lineman to make on the O-line that the majority of people think is easy? (ex: OT to OG or LT to RT etc) @pmeredith77

I get asked this question more than any other. The majority of people believe switching positions is easy because they’ve never done it before. Moving from side to side is easy for some, but most often, it takes a while to adjust. In the immortal words of Josh Sitton, switching from one side to the other is “like wiping your ass with the other hand.”

Everything is awkward and different. I had to switch from the right side to the left side (LG) a couple times in my career. It always went bad. ALWAYS. I was never comfortable at left guard. I’d always punch like I was at right tackle and when I was being bull-rushed, I’d switch my stagger to anchor the bull like a right guard, thus allowing myself to get beat inside.

According to social media, switching from tackle to guard is the “easy” solution for a tackle who’s struggling. Not so fast my friend. If an offensive tackle has good hands, generally has good movement skills but might lack some foot quickness to play tackle, then moving inside could be productive. If an offensive tackle is struggling with his strike and punch location, plus has bad feet, then moving inside is a no-go. Things happen fast at guard. Your hands must be ready for action now. And if you miss with your hands, your base better be good so you’re able to recover.

So in short, moving a struggling OT to OG isn’t easy, and it’s rarely the solution.

Ask a former NFL player: How hard is it for linemen to switch positions? - SBNation.com
Yeah I have read those. You can also say that most quarterbacks under 6ft tall do not make it in the NFL. You can also say that most

Yes most college quarterbacks chosen at 199 not going to become Tom Brady. Many left tackles cannot switch to right tackle although we know quite a few switch from right tackle to left tackle. I think laremy tunsil has the skill set to be a solid if not excellent right tackle. If not..so what? Dolphins need both tackles improved. As I said, if he can't be the right tackle play him left and switch E the right.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If I were Stephen Ross I would love to find a package they could bring me Watson and laremy tunsil and possibly Brandin Cooks. I just don't think they have enough to do that without setting their overall roster back.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Depends on Tunsil's attitude. If he wants to leave then I'm ok with letting him walk.

I like Cross as much as I like Neal at LT. Both will be long time starters. Neal has also played RT at a high level. If Caserio would be able to get a 1st/2nd for Tunsil then really you rented Tunsil for 3 yrs for a 1st and I would be OK with that.
How often are trades made prior to the draft where a team will give up multiple high picks for a pro bowl LT. True, the team is getting a proven commodity, but they could have drafted a LT ( there alway seems to be a couple carrying high draft grades). Drafting, rather than trading, puts you in a better cap position as well.

I'm not implying not to trade Tunsil, I just don't see it happening before the 2022 draft. During OTA's or training camp, I can see that, with picks in 2023 and 2024.

But this creates a void for the Texans at LT unless they are confident with Howard playing the position. And reviewing Howard's draft profiles, his best fit on the OL seems to be RT.

If Tunsil could be traded prior to the draft, I'd do it, provided we got a high 1st in this draft. I just think it unrealistic for it to happen.

badboy

Hall of Fame
How often are trades made prior to the draft where a team will give up multiple high picks for a pro bowl LT. True, the team is getting a proven commodity, but they could have drafted a LT ( there alway seems to be a couple carrying high draft grades). Drafting, rather than trading, puts you in a better cap position as well.

I'm not implying not to trade Tunsil, I just don't see it happening before the 2022 draft. During OTA's or training camp, I can see that, with picks in 2023 and 2024.

But this creates a void for the Texans at LT unless they are confident with Howard playing the position. And reviewing Howard's draft profiles, his best fit on the OL seems to be RT.

If Tunsil could be traded prior to the draft, I'd do it, provided we got a high 1st in this draft. I just think it unrealistic for it to happen.
21 and 51 are not high picks. A tackle drafted at 21 is high risk for a team banging on playoff door. A pro bowler seems to be exactly way to go when you have 75 m cap space.

Tunsil's cost would be $18 m avg next two seasons. Any team should be salivating.

Jack Burton

Veteran

Yeah, I don’t care which of the 2. They are both slam dunks.
Even if Caserio does the trade for Tunsil for 2 future 2’s and a starter, I’d be good with it. HOU is rebuilding. Build up a massive clip of high draft picks for years to come…

Number19

Hall of Fame
21 and 51 are not high picks. A tackle drafted at 21 is high risk for a team banging on playoff door. A pro bowler seems to be exactly way to go when you have 75 m cap space.

Tunsil's cost would be $18 m avg next two seasons. Any team should be salivating.
Maybe. I understand your point, I'm just not seeing it happening. I'm looking at maybe four OT's carrying 1st round grades: Neal, Cross, Ekwonu and Petit-Frere. I'm just thinking a team needing a LT will be targeting one of these rather than expending excessive draft capital trading for Tunsil.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Would Jets give 1.6 and 2.38 to Texans for 1.3 if Hutch is there? He and Stingley would add some punch to defense.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah, I don’t care which of the 2. They are both slam dunks.
Even if Caserio does the trade for Tunsil for 2 future 2’s and a starter, I’d be good with it. HOU is rebuilding. Build up a massive clip of high draft picks for years to come…
I bet they kiss and makeup and Tunsil is playing LT for the Texans next yr.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Maybe. I understand your point, I'm just not seeing it happening. I'm looking at maybe four OT's carrying 1st round grades: Neal, Cross, Ekwonu and Petit-Frere. I'm just thinking a team needing a LT will be targeting one of these rather than expending excessive draft capital trading for Tunsil.
I would only trade Tunsil if I knew I could get Cross or Neal and a 2nd.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I wish we knew what HOU will get for Watson and possibly Tunsil 1st.
I think we will which will allow us to pursue the possible trade down of 1.3. For example I would consider DW to Miami for the three round ones (2022 1.19) and two round twos (2.53) as suggested.

Tunsil to Miami for CB Xavian Howard and SS Brandon Jones both starters.

1.3 trade would have to bring a pick that gets either Charles Cross or Icky or if Tytus Howard can be the guy that opens up a lot.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Teams building for the future like us will prefer a draft player but teams such as Miami IMO need a young pro-bowl guy like Tunsil. If Dolphins could get him and Tunsil that would shove them deep into PO.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Name another that has. Exceptions are not the rules. I can win Powerball. Doesn't mean I'm ever going to.
You would compare you and power ball to Tunsil successfully playing right tackle? That was the point of my post: GOAT at round 6 and under 6 feet QB don't often become Wilson but Tunsil can become a right tackle.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Teams building for the future like us will prefer a draft player but teams such as Miami IMO need a young pro-bowl guy like Tunsil. If Dolphins could get him and Tunsil that would shove them deep into PO.
Didn’t Miami decide to build through the draft when they traded Tunsil away?

Reactions: JB
yep for a kings ransom in 2019. I would say their future has changed a bit. They also have Waddell and Holland and Solomon Kindley as a result. Now they can get Tunsil back for a lot less and he is now a two season pro bowl tackle.
I know it's petty but I wouldn't let Miami make me look like that. You're alluding to the Texans giving up a King's ransom for a player to only turn around 2 years later and send him back to the team for substantially less than what was paid? Chicago, Minnesota, Eagles or Raiders would be good choices if Tunsil is shipped out.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
The league was smaller then, but Johnny Unitas was taken in the 9th round at 102, and released by the Pittsburg Steelers.
OMG. The fact that you had to go back to 1955 proves my point. Those are exceptions, few and far between at that, and not the rule.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Chicago, Minnesota, Eagles or Raiders would be good choices if Tunsil is shipped out.
I think the best option will be Dallas. Tryon Smith is not what he used to be. Terence Steele isn't the answer, and the Cowboys won't find a prospect that can step in at LT in the back end of the 1st round.

Yes, it would be nice to have a solid LT to protect your young QB. But, Mills hasn't played with Tunsil much this season, anyway. And my gut tells me something is going on between Tunsil/Culley/Someone. I wouldn't put a big for sale sign on Tunsil. But, I would quietly make some calls (especially to Jerry) that Laremy can be had this offseason.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Miami got a good haul

Waddell- star level player
Holland 10 yr starter
Kindley - Decent player

If I traded Tunsil back to the Dolphins, I wouldn't take less than the 49ers pick and the Dolphins 2nd.

This way it would be like I rented Tunsil for a 1st rd pick for 3 yrs. That would take some of the sting out of the trade. As I've said elsewhere, I wouldn't trade Tunsil unless I knew I could draft Neal or Cross with the Texans pick.

Last edited:

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The way LTs are getting paid it looks to me like you need your franchise LT and QB on their rookie contracts in order to build a stacked team around them to compete. And then, if you have a top 5 QB you can afford to give up weakness in other areas of your roster to give them that second contract.

But you can’t afford to give that second contract to both the LT and QB then still expect to field a quality Super Bowl contending team.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
The way LTs are getting paid it looks to me like you need your franchise LT and QB on their rookie contracts in order to build a stacked team around them to compete. And then, if you have a top 5 QB you can afford to give up weakness in other areas of your roster to give them that second contract.

But you can’t afford to give that second contract to both the LT and QB then still expect to field a quality Super Bowl contending team.
How do the Packers do it?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I know it's petty but I wouldn't let Miami make me look like that. You're alluding to the Texans giving up a King's ransom for a player to only turn around 2 years later and send him back to the team for substantially less than what was paid? Chicago, Minnesota, Eagles or Raiders would be good choices if Tunsil is shipped out.
Yes it's Petty but I definitely understand and under some circumstances would agree with you. however I am interested in doing what I think is best for the team when I post. For example I try to keep my disrespect/distaste for Deshaun Watson out of my comments.

I don't see Philly as a landing zone.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think the best option will be Dallas. Tryon Smith is not what he used to be. Terence Steele isn't the answer, and the Cowboys won't find a prospect that can step in at LT in the back end of the 1st round.

Yes, it would be nice to have a solid LT to protect your young QB. But, Mills hasn't played with Tunsil much this season, anyway. And my gut tells me something is going on between Tunsil/Culley/Someone. I wouldn't put a big for sale sign on Tunsil. But, I would quietly make some calls (especially to Jerry) that Laremy can be had this offseason.
Tyron Smith PFF over 91 and three good contract years left at 31 YOA. Collins at over 80 PFF and back from suspension and Steele according to link replaced him well at RT. I do not see anyone else indicating Dallas needs a left tackle. But I would definitely put the word out quietly to all teams.

badboy

Hall of Fame

Drafting a left tackle in 2022 with 3 years remaining on Mills would be great for cap as you say or even if we have to go for Stroud or Young in 2023.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yes it's Petty but I definitely understand and under some circumstances would agree with you. however I am interested in doing what I think is best for the team when I post. For example I try to keep my disrespect/distaste for Deshaun Watson out of my comments.

I don't see Philly as a landing zone.
Difference is I don't care what happens to the team.

Not having a Sexual Predator out there stalking on the internet is much more important to me than what Caserio might get in a trade for Derrick.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Drafting a left tackle in 2022 with 3 years remaining on Mills would be great for cap as you say or even if we have to go for Stroud or Young in 2023.
Some posters care more about the cap than having quality players on the team. There will be plenty of cap space available in 2023 off-season when Caserio might need it. If he needs the cap space he can trade Tunsil then.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
But somehow they do it every year
Bakhtiari was a 4th round pick. And got his mega contract end of last season. With Rodgers likely gone after this season its safe to say their window will be shut after 1 season with top tier QB/LT contract.

Unless you feel like Jordan Love on his rookie contract can provide comparable level play.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Bakhtiari was a 4th round pick. And got his mega contract end of last season. With Rodgers likely gone after this season its safe to say their window will be shut after 1 season with top tier QB/LT contract.

Unless you feel like Jordan Love on his rookie contract can provide comparable level play.
And yet they've managed it for the most of the last 20 years... future yet to be written

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
And yet they've managed it for the most of the last 20 years... future yet to be written

Top 5 QB yes. But Chad Clifton was no top 5 LT. Solid to be sure… but not top 5 and not paid like one (which was my point in the first place).

Bakhtiari, while top 5 in performance just got his extension to be paid like one end of last season. So no, they haven’t been doing this for most of the last 20 years.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Top 5 QB yes. But Chad Clifton was no top 5 LT. Solid to be sure… but not top 5 and not paid like one (which was my point in the first place).

Bakhtiari, while top 5 in performance just got his extension to be paid like one end of last season. So no, they haven’t been doing this for most of the last 20 years.
I meant they have been a Super Bowl contender for most of the last 20 years

welsh texan

You may say I’m a dreamer but I’m not the only one
Would Jets give 1.6 and 2.38 to Texans for 1.3 if Hutch is there? He and Stingley would add some punch to defense.
This is the kind of trade I would fall in love with. Still a raft of potentially great players on the board and the 2nd rounder should fix another need with quality.