Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Yep, let's get another young QB Carr'ed. Meanwhile let's spend those draft picks hoping to find a LT as good as Tunsil.

In 2024 when the Texans should be back in the playoffs ( provided their QB doesn't get killed) Tunsil will be 30 yes old, still in his prime and one of the best LT"s in the league.
LTs are proving to have a longer career of high level performance than other positions. Look at Andrew Whitworth and Duane Brown as examples. Jason Peters as well.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Remains to be seen if we have just a young Qb or a good young QB. I think we are going to slide around through 2022 and then get a QB. In meantime I want to draft for the future a team that will be ready for that future QB.
When you say future team, how far into the future are you looking, 5yrs ? Because if that's the case a 32 yr old Tunsil will still be in his prime when the Texans are SB contenders.

If you want to draft a QB in the next draft and you get the guy you want, dont you want a 28 yr old pro bowl LT protecting your guy? Or do you want another Davenport situation where at best the guy you draft starts out like Davenport did and learns enough to become a Tunsil type LT, meanwhile while the drafted LT is learning the young QB you drafted gets the crap beat out of him for a yr or 2 like Carr/Pervert did. Or worst case scenario you draft another Davenport and he sucks like Davenport did and after 3 yrs and your young QB gets the heck beat out of him( torn ACL) for 3 yrs, then your back looking for a LT again. No thanks, I pay Tunsil and give the young QB you chose his best chance to succeed.

Of course if you gave me a deal better than the 1 Miami got I probably would do the deal. But that ain't happening.

badboy

Hall of Fame
When you say future team, how far into the future are you looking, 5yrs ? Because if that's the case a 32 yr old Tunsil will still be in his prime when the Texans are SB contenders.

If you want to draft a QB in the next draft and you get the guy you want, dont you want a 28 yr old pro bowl LT protecting your guy? Or do you want another Davenport situation where at best the guy you draft starts out like Davenport did and learns enough to become a Tunsil type LT, meanwhile while the drafted LT is learning the young QB you drafted gets the crap beat out of him for a yr or 2 like Carr/Pervert did. Or worst case scenario you draft another Davenport and he sucks like Davenport did and after 3 yrs and your young QB gets the heck beat out of him( torn ACL) for 3 yrs, then your back looking for a LT again. No thanks, I pay Tunsil and give the young QB you chose his best chance to succeed.

Of course if you gave me a deal better than the 1 Miami got I probably would do the deal. But that ain't happening.
I get all this and have been evaluating a trade for two years; if I felt better about TT or Mills I would keep Tunsil but I don't. Hopefully, Mills will take another step up as he did last Thurs. As you know I supported Tunsil's trade initially showing how his annual avg cost was very good. I anticipate his avg cost on next deal with increases I predict for 2024 cap to be close to 30 million if not more. That is extreme for a non QB. I am hopeful that he will push for another three year extension which will allow an out for Texans if he begins to falter and be good for Laremy going for another deal at 33 YOA.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

I thought you said it's gonna be a Lost Decade?
:ahhaha:

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I get all this and have been evaluating a trade for two years; if I felt better about TT or Mills I would keep Tunsil but I don't. Hopefully, Mills will take another step up as he did last Thurs. As you know I supported Tunsil's trade initially showing how his annual avg cost was very good. I anticipate his avg cost on next deal with increases I predict for 2024 cap to be close to 30 million if not more. That is extreme for a non QB. I am hopeful that he will push for another three year extension which will allow an out for Texans if he begins to falter and be good for Laremy going for another deal at 33 YOA.
You shouldn't fear the cap, it's going to go way up since God'ell/NFL got in bed with the gamblers.

Also this isn't about Mills. This is about the QB of your choosing in the next draft. How well do you want your guy to be protected and by who?

badboy

Hall of Fame
Info now is Philly LT Mailata just signed extension which should encourage DW to waive no trade; Bengals OG Jackson Carman whom I wanted did fantastic Sunday. https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/27/jackson-carman-bengals-breakout-no-pressures-sacks-steelers/. Bengals still could use Tunsil to protect Burrow. I just doubt Bengals would throw Carman into a deal.

NYJ team that might be interested in Tunsil as Becton blew knee and may be out longer than 4-6 weeks. 1.3 in 2022 and round 1 top 8 in 2023? Tunsil base fits now and NYJ has 65 m cap space next year. If Becton is ready by 2022 he goes to RT and Fant slides to RG.

badboy

Hall of Fame
You shouldn't fear the cap, it's going to go way up since God'ell/NFL got in bed with the gamblers.

Also this isn't about Mills. This is about the QB of your choosing in the next draft. How well do you want your guy to be protected and by who?
Always going to be aware of the cap and of course it is about Mills as he was drafted to be the 2022 QB and beyond. Looks as if I will not have a QB of my choosing as draft doesn't offer much; more like a QB by default and the reason I want picks and cap. I have said I think an avg QB like TT can be protected by a good if not Tunsil left tackle. You keep saying we have to replace Tunsil with equal player and I disagree. If you do not wish to discuss trades your POV is well known.. move on.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Always going to be aware of the cap and of course it is about Mills as he was drafted to be the 2022 QB and beyond. Looks as if I will not have a QB of my choosing as draft doesn't offer much; more like a QB by default and the reason I want picks and cap. I have said I think an avg QB like TT can be protected by a good if not Tunsil left tackle. You keep saying we have to replace Tunsil with equal player and I disagree. If you do not wish to discuss trades your POV is well known.. move on.
Ok moving on

Enjoyed the discussion.

LMAO

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Let's see Caserio
Thanks will now enjoy discussion rather than you saying same thing endlessly. :spin:
Kinda like having a lesser player at a premium position is a brilliant idea. Funny thing is I agreed with you on trading Tunsil and gave you my price, but you weren't interested in that discussion. Nope you want to come up with trade ideas. Let's just trade all of the players. I will place my value on them for you if you want to have this discussion.

Pervert- nothing or two 1sts, nobody gives more than that for a sexual predator.

Tunsil- Two 1sts a 2nd and a 4th

Cooks- 2nd

Howard- 2nd
Collins-2nd
Ingram- 4th
TT-5th
Brown-5th
Cannon-5th
Scharping -5rh
Britt-5rh
Everybody else 7th.

Defense

Black lock 3rd
Ohmenihu 4th
Reid 4th
Martin 4th

Cunningham 5th

Everybody else 5-7.

Comm on and let's really suck get all of these picks and see how things workout in the land of preposterous trade guy.

I'll be willing to bet they would end up worse than the Jags/NYJ in preposterous trade land.

Love to see your thoughts in fantasyland about what you think each player on the team is worth.

Tell me which is worse somebody who comes up with trade ideas that will never happen, or the guy who points out this fact? Example: insiders have told you that a trade for the Pervert ain't happening. Do you listen? Smfh.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The Dolphins got a ton of draft capital in the Tunsil trade. It remains to be seen whether they’ll have a franchise LT in the foreseeable future… or just a serviceable OL in general. Don’t matter how many awesome draft picks you acquire if you don’t pick the right players to fill the needs you (re)created on your team. Tunsil is a franchise LT and that doesn’t appear to be something that will be changing any time soon.

It's no great revelation that Austin Jackson has been struggling, and that's been going on since the start of training camp. Flores, who rarely (if ever) criticizes players individually, said Jackson has "got to play better." Flores did add that he wasn't the only one, but even just his acknowledgment at the start of the answer was revealing.
So, yes, absolutely count Jackson as somebody whose starting position could be vulnerable, though it's fair to suggest the Dolphins might be resistant to make that move given that we're a year removed from the team picking him 18th overall in the draft.
If the Dolphins do make a move in the starting lineup, it certainly would make sense to insert Eichenberg.”

badboy

Hall of Fame
The Dolphins got a ton of draft capital in the Tunsil trade. It remains to be seen whether they’ll have a franchise LT in the foreseeable future… or just a serviceable OL in general. Don’t matter how many awesome draft picks you acquire if you don’t pick the right players to fill the needs you (re)created on your team. Tunsil is a franchise LT and that doesn’t appear to be something that will be changing any time soon.

It's no great revelation that Austin Jackson has been struggling, and that's been going on since the start of training camp. Flores, who rarely (if ever) criticizes players individually, said Jackson has "got to play better." Flores did add that he wasn't the only one, but even just his acknowledgment at the start of the answer was revealing.
So, yes, absolutely count Jackson as somebody whose starting position could be vulnerable, though it's fair to suggest the Dolphins might be resistant to make that move given that we're a year removed from the team picking him 18th overall in the draft.
If the Dolphins do make a move in the starting lineup, it certainly would make sense to insert Eichenberg.”
The only offensive lineman dolphins have picked in the last 3 years to play tackle was Austin Jackson and he is a right tackle. I get your point but it only says that the team needs to draft well. It remains to be seen what Nick will do with a full draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
The only offensive lineman dolphins have picked in the last 3 years to play tackle was Austin Jackson and he is a right tackle. I get your point but it only says that the team needs to draft well. It remains to be seen what Nick will do with a full draft.
Hunt has played some RT.

Jackson is really young.

Glad the Texans QB will have his blindside well protected.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Eagles third round one if top ten plus round three or if late round one plus Eagles round two for Tunsil.
Would you look at a package of Landon Dickerson, 2022 RD1 (2nd pick), and a 2023 RD3 for Tunsil? Eagles could lose Dickerson in this deal since they’d have the capital to replace him in the upcoming draft.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Would you look at a package of Landon Dickerson, 2022 RD1 (2nd pick), and a 2023 RD3 for Tunsil? Eagles could lose Dickerson in this deal since they’d have the capital to replace him in the upcoming draft.
Absolutely! With the notation that Charlie Heck may not be able to replace Tunsil at left tackle and we would have to draft one. My preference as indicated in my previous DFW trade was to use higher pics for other positions and the lower round one for Charles Cross.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Absolutely! With the notation that Charlie Heck may not be able to replace Tunsil at left tackle and we would have to draft one. My preference as indicated in my previous DFW trade was to use higher pics for other positions and the lower round one for Charles Cross.
My preference is for Caserio to add many more players as talented as Tunsil.

Texian

Hall of Fame
Up until this point I thought it was ludicrous to entertain the thought of trading Tunsil. I have since reconsidered. Since Tunsil is out this year and is only signed thru 2023 and is likely long gone after. And since the Texans will be not be much better in 2023 than they are in 2021, trade Tunsil to the first team that offers up a 1st rd draft pick. Maybe the blind squirrel can find a 10 year replacement for Tunsil.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
If I were in Caserio’s shoes:

I’d make sure OG- Eichenberg was part of the deal for Watson. Sure, the picks will be involved but I want the OL the team couldn’t get in the 2021 NFL Draft.

As for Tunsil….I would pick up the phone and contact the Eagles and Giants to inform them that Tunsil will be dealt before the deadline. Eagles are horrible at LT. The Giants just lost their LT for the season. Eagles have the assets to make a deal….only I want Landon Dickerson as part of any package. Heck I’d even ship Howard or Scharping as part of the package provided a pick in 22 or 23 is included.

If 2 big trade chips could return Eichenberg / Dickerson on the 1st year of their rookie contracts along with the picks….I’d be pretty dammed satisfied knowing that the interior of the OL could be settled for the foreseeable future.

badboy

Hall of Fame
If I were in Caserio’s shoes:

I’d make sure OG- Eichenberg was part of the deal for Watson. Sure, the picks will be involved but I want the OL the team couldn’t get in the 2021 NFL Draft.

As for Tunsil….I would pick up the phone and contact the Eagles and Giants to inform them that Tunsil will be dealt before the deadline. Eagles are horrible at LT. The Giants just lost their LT for the season. Eagles have the assets to make a deal….only I want Landon Dickerson as part of any package. Heck I’d even ship Howard or Scharping as part of the package provided a pick in 22 or 23 is included.

If 2 big trade chips could return Eichenberg / Dickerson on the 1st year of their rookie contracts along with the picks….I’d be pretty dammed satisfied knowing that the interior of the OL could be settled for the foreseeable future.
Eichenberg is not looking good .

badboy

Hall of Fame
There is now talk that Titans interested in Miami's corner X Howard. Round ones in 2022 and 2023 plus a 4th in 2023 [Jalen Ramsey] could then be sent to Caserio as part of DW deal.

Nick imo doesn’t want X and any possible salary disagreement.

Dolphins 22 first from SF and one from Titans plus both in 2023. This leaves Miami with SF round one in 23.

Dolphins round 2 in 2022
Dolphins round 2 from WFT for Tua Tag. Three round ones + two round twos.

If this trade with Miami is imminent then caseiro should be getting all that he wanted and maybe more.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
If this trade with Miami is imminent then caseiro should be getting all that he wanted and maybe more.
Here's the problem with any future Miami trades. The NFL is not static. There's a very good chance the Dolphins will have a new GM and HC after the 2021 disaster. And they may want to go in a completely different direction at QB.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Here's the problem with any future Miami trades. The NFL is not static. There's a very good chance the Dolphins will have a new GM and HC after the 2021 disaster. And they may want to go in a completely different direction at QB.
Like Aaron Rodgers

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yep...but what direction will that be? Free agency does not look like a route as both Rogers and Russell if could be talked into it, their teams would have to eat tons of dead pre June 1st 2022.

Draft? Who? IMO this Collegiate group would be one of the most high risk in several years. Only another few games for one of the QB's to come into Focus.

I can see Greer being gone but I think Flores is secure for at least another year.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Usually, a new GM gets to bring in his own guy. Flores hasn’t done enough to earn another season.
I agree but Ross has the reputation of loyalty to his coaches that he hires as I understand. In my opinion Flores will help pick the GM if there is a new one.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Only two games but liking what I see:
Tytus Howard versus Jets first game at left tackle

A former starting right tackle, Howard now steps into a position of need with All-Pro left tackle Laremy Tunsil still sidelined on injured reserve after undergoing thumb surgery earlier this year to repair a torn ligament.
Although Howard did get bull-rushed by Jets defensive lineman Ronald Blair, shoving him into the backfield, for one sack of quarterback Tyrod Taylor as the Texans lost 21-14 as the team collectively allowed five sacks and eight quarterback hits with seven tackles for losses, the former Alabama State standout got high marks from an analytics standpoint and from the coaching staff.
Howard was the highest graded Texans player with an overall 79.4 Pro Football Focus grade Although Howard was one of the lowest-rated guards in the NFL this season with a 43.7 overall grade, including a 41.5 run blocking mark and 57.3 pass blocking grade, he graded out much higher at left tackle, a position he played as a rookie in a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers as he struggled to match the speed of Rashan Gary and in college.
At left tackle, though, against the Jets, Howard had an 86.4 pass blocking grade as the sack allowed to Blair was the only glaringly bad play.

versus Indianapolis {incorrectly identified as OG} in pass protection
🙌
♦️
83.8 Pass Blocking Grade (5th among Guards in Week 13)
♦️
0 pressures allowed on 35 snaps (5th most w/o pressure allowed) https://t.co/dphBtB0ZQe" / Twitter

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yeah but I see it as an over sight as he played only 2 games at LT. I am more interested in the evaluation than mistake on position. Could be typo also.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Yeah but I see it as an over sight as he played only 2 games at LT. I am more interested in the evaluation than mistake on position. Could be typo also.
I do my own evaluating.

Dont care much for the PFF stats. But PFF is a useful tool if you want to get a list of guys to evaluate. BTW, Howard is still looking busty. He should have a good game this weekend against the Seahawks, who really dont have much of a pass rush.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
I do my own evaluating.

Dont care much for the PFF stats. But PFF is a useful tool if you want to get a list of guys to evaluate. BTW, Howard is still looking busty. He should have a good game this weekend against the Seahawks, who really dont have much of a pass rush.
Gave you a like for stating the fact that the Seahawks don't have much of a pass rush. :)

badboy

Hall of Fame
Eagles trade three 1sts to Detroit select QB.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
If that happens I'd be pissed we didn't get the first pick.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
Tunsil being put in bubble wrap rest of season tells me he’s being traded this offseason.

If I had to guess it’ll probably be a similar package to Orlando Brown trade to Chiefs last offseason:

“The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick.“

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
8. New York Jets (Via Seattle Seahawks): OT, Evan Neal, Alabama
The Jets are going to lose Morgan Moses in free agency and could look to add their right tackle of the future in the draft. Pairing Neal with Becton would give them one of the best tackle duos in the league, both of whom would also be on rookie deals. Neal was great at Alabama in 2020 at right tackle and could slide right in and be a potential pro bowl player.
OK BB so here's a mocker who's also got some reservations about Neal playing the blind side in the NFL.

badboy

Hall of Fame
8. New York Jets (Via Seattle Seahawks): OT, Evan Neal, Alabama
The Jets are going to lose Morgan Moses in free agency and could look to add their right tackle of the future in the draft. Pairing Neal with Becton would give them one of the best tackle duos in the league, both of whom would also be on rookie deals. Neal was great at Alabama in 2020 at right tackle and could slide right in and be a potential pro bowl player.
OK BB so here's a mocker who's also got some reservations about Neal playing the blind side in the NFL.
I think most teams would move Neal to off side at least initially. I have long looked at NYJ as a trade destination for Tunsil as I have commented before I'm concerned about their LT Becton injured in his second year and not rebounding from his knee as I had expected; add in his weight which ballooned back to 390ish. It is hard for some of those bigguns to shed. Of interest to our conversation is replacement George Fant who has stunned most with his play and a PFF of 70. At 29 he has a season left at extremely team favored $ and I could see him being offered an extension. I would not be shocked if Moses is extended and that's why I see many mocking Stingley to Jets at #4. Chuma Edoga is still sitting there at back up and could get a shot RT in 2022. I have not counted NYJ out yet on the DW sweepstakes... 1.4 and 1.7 (I think Seattle settles here) and Tunsil for NYJ's 2.35 and 2.37ish.
I will address this more soon in a trade proposal post. FYI, I don't have Neal going to Jets.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Tunsil being put in bubble wrap rest of season tells me he’s being traded this offseason.

If I had to guess it’ll probably be a similar package to Orlando Brown trade to Chiefs last offseason:

“The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick.“
I would not have made that trade and was surprised last year that Ravens did so as looking back has confirmed. Stanley when he played early didn't do well on his surgically repaired ankle. Brown should have been moved to Left and allowed to remain there. Now he will extend with KC and get his oodles of money rather than with the Ravens.