Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What is Laremy Tunsil's worth in a trade?

sandman

Brexit Advisor
I don't put a time table on it.
I only said it makes more sense to move him.
It will be difficult to move him now (for much draft capital) with such large numbers in 2022 and 2023.

NC had his chance to try to move him during the off-season.

Maybe a team in desperate need later on during the year will roll the dice; we shall see.
Maybe I'm interpreting too much here, but this sounds like a criticism that NC didn't move him this past off season.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Maybe I'm interpreting too much here, but this sounds like a criticism that NC didn't move him this past off season.
No, I had said in the off-season that I think NC should work on it if he has a vision where the team will be in a couple of years.

It's not easy to find a trading partner, but that shouldn't stop him from working the phone line.

As for the restructuring, I had recant that part, as on second look, it doesn't seem like it could affect a deal.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Fair, but I need to look at this and rethink it.

Between Sharping and Howard, I think one guy was drafted too high.

Britt is JAG.

Between him and Cannon, I don't know which guy will get injured first.

I don't mind Tunsil, but the Texans are paying him for what?
Zero chance of going to the big dance.
Might as well save the money for the future.
Tunsil is getting paid so that the young QB will feel comfortable knowing his blindside will be protected from guys like Garrett. So the young QB has a chance to develop properly, unlike what happened with Carr.

Howard has actually looked better at LG.

Britt is an upgrade at C. Better at making OL calls and is tougher.

Cannon is an upgrade at RT. Cannon has not missed a game and was fairly healthy in Foxboro. I will trust Caserio's evals over yours on Cannon since they've been in the same org together for yrs.

Heck is a future starter at RT and has talent.

Scharping has been disappointing IMHO but even he's improved.

The OL is a much better until and has more talent, plus they're being coached better. What were your expectations of the OL after only playing as a unit 2 games together?

76Texan

Hall of Fame
They've paid big $$$$ to Marpet/Jensen in FA and this last offseason Smith got paid.

In fact I'm pretty sure the Texans OL makes less $$$$ than the Bucs OL does.
I don't see it.

Of course, when a player get to his second contract and beyond, their pay is going to get higher.

Wirfs, for example, is only on the second year of his rookie contract.

Smith has an out clause for 2020, and his contract is not that big.

Marpet is an All-Pro and his contract is not that much.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Howard has actually looked better at LG.

Cannon is an upgrade at RT. Cannon has not missed a game and was fairly healthy in Foxboro. I will trust Caserio's evals over yours on Cannon since they've been in the same org together for yrs.

Heck is a future starter at RT and has talent.

Scharping has been disappointing IMHO but even he's improved.

The OL is a much better until and has more talent, plus they're being coached better. What were your expectations of the OL after only playing as a unit 2 games together?
I said Britt and Cannon are more a question for their health.

I expected the line to be better in time, without Devlin.

But Britt is mediocre at best.
His history of play had shown that much.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Britt was graded between 60.8-62 in 2018-19
He had a couple of years better (2016-17)

His current grade, after the first two games is 62.0

That was about what I saw.

badboy

Hall of Fame
:tiphat:
How do you know what the coaches think?

If they thought Heck could play LT well he would already be playing LT and Tunsil would already be traded.

Truth is you hope Heck can play LT and have been advocating for Tunsil to be traded for yrs. Why, because you want the draft pick and cap space.

I value guys that can play and protect the young QB's blindside. We just have totally different thoughts on how to build a team. Give me all pro's and the money doesn't matter since the QB is on his rookie deal.
I think I know what the coaches are thinking for right tackle as they have started him there. If they did not think he was better than average he would not be starting.

Tunsil might not already be traded as teams have not offered enough.

As Tunsil's contract was extended in 2020 why would I be concerned about it for years? I agree before then I was concerned about how his and Watson's extension would be handled..as were others. I in fact thought Tunsil's deal though high last two years was good from standpoint of annual avg. Same thought as I expressed as advantage to a team trading for him now with the less than one million base lowering his remaining three seasons to just over $12 per avg.

Yes for this team and what I see as the next two to three years I do prefer draft picks and reduction of cap cost rather than a pro-bowler protecting nothing much at QB.

We have different thoughts? Yep for many years on many things and I do not see that changing. :tiphat:

Texansballer74

The Marine
I said Britt and Cannon are more a question for their health.

I expected the line to be better in time, without Devlin.

But Britt is mediocre at best.
His history of play had shown that much.
Every player who plays offensive line, staying healthy is a tall task. Nature of the beast.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think I know what the coaches are thinking for right tackle as they have started him there. If they did not think he was better than average he would not be starting.

Tunsil might not already be traded as teams have not offered enough.

As Tunsil's contract was extended in 2020 why would I be concerned about it for years? I agree before then I was concerned about how his and Watson's extension would be handled..as were others. I in fact thought Tunsil's deal though high last two years was good from standpoint of annual avg. Same thought as I expressed as advantage to a team trading for him now with the less than one million base lowering his remaining three seasons to just over $12 per avg.

Yes for this team and what I see as the next two to three years I do prefer draft picks and reduction of cap cost rather than a pro-bowler protecting nothing much at QB.

We have different thoughts? Yep for many years on many things and I do not see that changing. :tiphat:
I prefer protecting the young QB and I would think you may have drinking this evening (except you dont drink.) if you think Tunsil is going to be traded anytime soon. When Caserio had a chance he committed to Tunsil by going to the bank of Tunsil this offseason.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I prefer protecting the young QB and I would think you may have drinking this evening (except you dont drink.) if you think Tunsil is going to be traded anytime soon. When Caserio had a chance he committed to Tunsil by going to the bank of Tunsil this offseason.
I love crown and four roses but choose not to drink anymore. I see a trade of tunsil only if a huge deal is offered for him.
I don't understand your last sentence.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I love crown and four roses but choose not to drink anymore. I see a trade of tunsil only if a huge deal is offered for him.
I don't understand your last sentence.
He put Tunsil's money more into the future for more cap space this offseason. He wouldn't do this if Tunsil wasn't part of the future.

badboy

Hall of Fame
He put Tunsil's money more into the future for more cap space this offseason. He wouldn't do this if Tunsil wasn't part of the future.
Sure he would if he thought a <$1 m base would attract other teams. That's all a purchasing team would pay for this season less game checks paid by Houston. Teams eat dead $ all the time. Plus it added over 15 million cap IIRC which was used

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Sure he would if he thought a <$1 m base would attract other teams. That's all a purchasing team would pay for this season less game checks paid by Houston. Teams eat dead $ all the time. Plus it added over 15 million cap IIRC which was used
They aren't going to eat dead money like that.

Not unless the team trading for Tunsil gave up what the Texans gave Miami for him and more because he's a better player now than before he was traded and he's still young. Teams aren't going to give up that much for Tunsil. So it's best that Tunsil stay and provide protection for the young QB's to learn the NFL game.

76Texan

Hall of Fame
Nothing changes for Tunsil regarding 2022 and 2023.

The Texans just gave him a cool $15M+ up front instead of him having to wait for his game check.

That's a plus for Tunsil.

The Texans get to defer 2/3 of the restructuring bonus to 2022 and 2023.

If the Texans trade Tunsil this year, the other team gets the benefit of not having to pay almost all of his "otherwise" salary this year.

If Tunsil got injured, he still gets to pocket the $15 restructuring bonus.

That's not counting the bonus he got from the last deal under OB.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Not unless the team trading for Tunsil gave up what the Texans gave Miami for him and more because he's a better player now than before he was traded and he's still young. Teams aren't going to give up that much for Tunsil. So it's best that Tunsil stay and provide protection for the young QB's to learn the NFL game.
Not sure what the other team will be willing to give up.

That will have to wait to see if it happens at all.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Not sure what the other team will be willing to give up.

That will have to wait to see if it happens at all.
If Caserio decides to be a seller the trade deadline would quickly be a barometer for Tunsil’s value. If Caserio doesn’t like the offers he could easily wait for the off-season and let teams ponder the idea of adding Tunsil to protect their QB and what they’d be willing to give up to make it happen.

One thing is for certain…..Tunsil’s value will be going up due to the new offense and OL scheme.

I can be all in for keeping Tunsil since he’s basically in his prime (27 years old) and is still under contract with the Texans until 2023. That being said, Caserio would need to get Tunsil to the table in 2022 (28 years old) and let him know he’s their future at LT and work out an extension through 2026 (32) or 2027 (33). That would take the need of drafting a top LT off the table for the foreseeable future. More importantly, the Texans should be turning the corner of this rebuild at some point in 2023.

Will Caserio lock up the position or cash in the chips?

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
If Caserio decides to be a seller the trade deadline would quickly be a barometer for Tunsil’s value. If Caserio doesn’t like the offers he could easily wait for the off-season and let teams ponder the idea of adding Tunsil to protect their QB and what they’d be willing to give up to make it happen.

One thing is for certain…..Tunsil’s value will be going up due to the new offense and OL scheme.

I can be all in for keeping Tunsil since he’s basically in his prime (27 years old) and is still under contract with the Texans until 2023. That being said, Caserio would need to get Tunsil to the table in 2022 (28 years old) and let him know he’s their future at LT and work out an extension through 2026 (32) or 2027 (33). That would take the need of drafting a top LT off the table for the foreseeable future. More importantly, the Texans should be turning the corner of this rebuild at some point in 2023.

Take one of the firsts and get Jaxson Kirkland out of Washington !

badboy

Hall of Fame

Again I think you're wrong, Caserio just ate 5 million dead money for Roby and we received a second round pick. I could see him eating 8 million dead money in 2022 for more than a round one pick. To clarify I posted I would only do a deal if the return is huge such as two first-round picks from the Bengals. The cap savings for 2023 would be 17 million-16 Million Dead money= a $1 million profit lowering dead total cost from 8 to 7.

Roby $5 m cost round 2
Tunsil 7m for two 1st.

badboy

Hall of Fame

You seem to understand my point of view. I am seeing Tunsil as a tool that can improve the team but does not have to be utilized. As you stated he is in the prime of his career and as he started 2021 it appeared he was well on his way to another Pro Bowl appearance. The lack quality at QB is what leads me to want to trade him for good assets.

Not likely but Jets trade Zac Wilson and 1.3 and 1.18 for DW. Fans are trashing Wilson despite groin injury game one. I would keep Tunsil.

badboy

Hall of Fame

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Again I think you're wrong, Caserio just ate 5 million dead money for Roby and we received a second round pick. I could see him eating 8 million dead money in 2022 for more than a round one pick. To clarify I posted I would only do a deal if the return is huge such as two first-round picks from the Bengals. The cap savings for 2023 would be 17 million-16 Million Dead money= a $1 million profit lowering dead total cost from 8 to 7.

Roby $5 m cost round 2
Tunsil 7m for two 1st.
Shocking

Like I said, Caserio ain't doing that, UNLESS he gets a deal better than the one Miami got for Tunsil and he ain't getting a deal like that for Tunsil.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
He could change my mind but for now I see him as an O Guard and not high on our priority list for that position. He is a brawler but IMO needs to fill out frame.
Draft Bible does a good job ! When you see a player of interest, do you ever go straight to the roster of the team site ? After Buschbaum passed, there was only one site that would give you all of the info on a prospect .... I think it was NFL Draft Countdown. I don't see that anymore, and it's a shame. Joel used to tell you what kind of person you were getting. Often, on the team sites, you can still find that, emboldened at the top. It has so much to do with accurate predictions of a player's career.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Draft Bible does a good job ! When you see a player of interest, do you ever go straight to the roster of the team site ? After Buschbaum passed, there was only one site that would give you all of the info on a prospect .... I think it was NFL Draft Countdown. I don't see that anymore, and it's a shame. Joel used to tell you what kind of person you were getting. Often, on the team sites, you can still find that, emboldened at the top. It has so much to do with accurate predictions of a player's career.
I was a solid follower of Joel for years prior to his death which was a devastating loss to people such as me. No I rarely go to a team's roster for any information other than verifying red shirt freshman year. I do not feel I can get honest evaluation from the college teams website.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
I was a solid follower of Joel for years prior to his death which was a devastating loss to people such as me. No I rarely go to a team's roster for any information other than verifying red shirt freshman year. I do not feel I can get honest evaluation from the college teams website.
If the school were giving any sort of opinion, I would agree completely. But it nothing like an evaluation .... it's merely a list of honors and awards earned at that college. I find it great supplemental info !

OptimisticTexan

Shocking

Like I said, Caserio ain't doing that, UNLESS he gets a deal better than the one Miami got for Tunsil and he ain't getting a deal like that for Tunsil.
I don’t think Caserio will find an idiot buffoon like OB in which to make a Tunsil trade.

In the same breath, I don’t think Caserio pushes away a strong offer for Tunsil even if it doesn’t live up to the ridiculous price OB paid.

Caserio cannot be handcuffed by previous GM’s bad moves…..he’s got a big mess to cleanup and I doubt he wants to carry those bad decisions beyond a couple of years.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame
The draft picks to acquire Tunsil are now a “sunk cost”. We can complain how much it cost to acquire him all we want but we aren’t getting them back and no team will give us equal value for Tunsil because they don’t have a GM that treats draft picks like a housewife would an AMEX they found hidden under the mattress.

But on the bright side, this team has a franchise LT to reliably protect the QBs blindside. So that’s nice. And he actually plays in games for the Texans. Unlike the “franchise QB” the Texans traded two 1st round picks for that is currently being paid without playing… and who may not net any return after his legal issues run their course.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I don’t think Caserio will find an idiot buffoon like OB in which to make a Tunsil trade.

In the same breath, I don’t think Caserio pushes away a strong offer for Tunsil even if it doesn’t live up to the ridiculous price OB paid.

Caserio cannot be handcuffed by previous GM’s bad moves…..he’s got a big mess to cleanup and I doubt he wants to carry those bad decisions beyond a couple of years.
I don't think trading for and paying Tunsil was a bad move. The trade didn't work out, but I'm separating the player from the trade and Tunsil is worthy of what they are paying him

badboy

Hall of Fame
I do not think trading for Tunsil was a bad move but if the offer was right you know my position. New York Jets are in bad spot O-3 and I have them at round one 3-6.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I do not think trading for Tunsil was a bad move but if the offer was right you know my position. New York Jets are in bad spot O-3 and I have them at round one 3-6.
Agreed

The trade would have to be more than Miami gave up for Tunsil, since he's a better player that's about to enter his prime. Which is why a trade for Tunsil wont happen.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Agreed

The trade would have to be more than Miami gave up for Tunsil, since he's a better player that's about to enter his prime. Which is why a trade for Tunsil wont happen.
I agreed that a trade is unlikely but would you trade him to the New York Jets for their highest round 1 in '22 and their round 1 in '23?

That leaves New York with their second round one this draft.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I agreed that a trade is unlikely but would you trade him to the New York Jets for their highest round 1 in '22 and their round 1 in '23?

That leaves New York with their second round one this draft.
Nope, although a couple of top 10 picks would be very tempting.

If you trade Tunsil you're looking at a Ramsey situation.

So I want the Ramsey trade or more.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Nope, although a couple of top 10 picks would be very tempting.

If you trade Tunsil you're looking at a Ramsey situation.

So I want the Ramsey trade or more.
IIRC Jags got 1.20 in 2020 and 1.25 in 2021 + a 4th in 2020. Nowhere near where Jets picks projected in my deal.

Last edited:

OptimisticTexan

OB’s move for Tunsil was made b/c he thought the Texans were ready to compete for a deep playoff run. Miami knew this and promptly took him to the woodshed.

Texans will not be eyeing a real playoff run or a deep playoff run until 2024 or 2025. The need of a top tier and top paid LT at this time could be a bit premature. I could see teams in a win-now mode getting anxious if they have serious questions at LT come the deadline but their draft slot could be further back than most would like. Teams that made RD1 investments in QB’s this season could be players if their team is struggling at LT provided they feel they’re closer to competing than rebuilding like the Texans come the 2022 off-season.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
OB’s move for Tunsil was made b/c he thought the Texans were ready to compete for a deep playoff run. Miami knew this and promptly took him to the woodshed.

Texans will not be eyeing a real playoff run or a deep playoff run until 2024 or 2025. The need of a top tier and top paid LT at this time could be a bit premature. I could see teams in a win-now mode getting anxious if they have serious questions at LT come the deadline but their draft slot could be further back than most would like. Teams that made RD1 investments in QB’s this season could be players if their team is struggling at LT provided they feel they’re closer to competing than rebuilding like the Texans come the 2022 off-season.
Yep, let's get another young QB Carr'ed. Meanwhile let's spend those draft picks hoping to find a LT as good as Tunsil.

In 2024 when the Texans should be back in the playoffs ( provided their QB doesn't get killed) Tunsil will be 30 yes old, still in his prime and one of the best LT"s in the league.

OptimisticTexan

Whatever the highest contract for a LT would be at that time.
SF- Trent Williams is bagging 23.01M for 2021. He’ll be at 26.9M in 2024. His final year in 2026…..his cap hit will be 33.06M.

With that being put on the table and if Tunsil continues his ascension into the 2024 season, it may not be to far fetched to see his team want a 28-30M per season commitment beginning with the 2024 season and escalating annually based on the length of his new contract.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Yep, let's get another young QB Carr'ed. Meanwhile let's spend those draft picks hoping to find a LT as good as Tunsil.

In 2024 when the Texans should be back in the playoffs ( provided their QB doesn't get killed) Tunsil will be 30 yes old, still in his prime and one of the best LT"s in the league.
Remains to be seen if we have just a young Qb or a good young QB. I think we are going to slide around through 2022 and then get a QB. In meantime I want to draft for the future a team that will be ready for that future QB.