Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

No it was not. Tell the Kool Aid Brigade I said hi. I'm sure they think Nick is doing a wonderful job and they absolutely love Nicks's trade with the Browns, only because I think it was terrible horrible trade. And that Nick has clearly shown once again, he is in way over his head and does not know what he's doing.
I thought Lovie was in charge.

Hmmmm....Reading all of these comments from the piss and vinegar brigade, it looks like the Browns are a shoe in for the playoffs every year. I guess they forget that the Browns have only been to the playoffs twice in their existence. I think they also forget that the Browns have to play the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals twice every year. They probably also forgot that WD40 will probably be suspended at some point.

Some people will never be happy. It must be a miserable existence.

Sure, I'm a little disappointed the Texans didn't get more from the trade, but I'm happy with what they did get, and even happier to be rid of the oily one.
We only won 4 games with Watson in 2020.

Honestly, I think Caserio did a decent job in this terrible situation. I posted on the Watson thread what the Texans intitally gave up for him in 2017. Brock Osweiler, 2017 1st rounder and the 2018 1st rounder. Getting 3 1st rounders, a third rounder and a fourth rounder in this trade is a nice return. Y'all won't have to deal with his future contract disputes or other off-field issues. Build up your team and relax in knowing you are no longer the biggest dumpster-fire in the NFL.

This trade is an example of all trades not being created equal. I can't look at this trade through the same lens as say the Hopkins trade or the Walker trade. That NTC changed the formula completely. Just another example of why you should never fire your GM and put two men who have no business being in the position of negotiating contracts in that position. The O'Brien/Easterby tandem are responsible for the terrible Tunsil trade and subsequent ridiculous contract, the Hopkins trade debacle and now this (meaning the ntc capping what the Texans would have netted in return for Watson). Those are just the three biggest. There was also Mercilus's $53.5 million contract extension and a few others.

2019-2021 were the darkest years in Texans history. I'm relieved that with this trade I'm seeing light. The memories of the O'Brien/Easterby regime can finally be laid to rest...for me, anyway.

Agreed Nick did not get what he wanted but on the cool we all knew that. The Finger in the buttocks and camp had that trump card. And they used it masterfully. I wished the league would’ve stop that crap. Watch new rules are brewing as we speak.

Why is everyone whining about not trading DW to Atlanta? If they offered a better deal he would have gone there. EVEThe NTC doesn’t give you
Honestly, I think Caserio did a decent job in this terrible situation. I posted on the Watson thread what the Texans intitally gave up for him in 2017. Brock Osweiler, 2017 1st rounder and the 2018 1st rounder. Getting 3 1st rounders, a third rounder and a fourth rounder in this trade is a nice return. Y'all won't have to deal with his future contract disputes or other off-field issues. Build up your team and relax in knowing you are no longer the biggest dumpster-fire in the NFL.
we’re still the biggest dumpster fire. And what we gave up for him is nearly the same as what we got for him. The difference is he was an unknown quantity with what most considered a high bust rate when we got him. Now he is pretty much a proven veteran and consensus top five QB by most of the NFL front offices and is still very young. There’s a huge difference in who he was then vs now.

I thought I read over the last few days that at one time or another Watson had waived his NTC for all 4 of the teams involved. If that was the case, why were we not able to choose out of the 4 team who our trading partner was going to be?
All I can read into all that info I read was that 99% of it was bs and speculation. I sure would like someone in the know to take some time and lay out the facts. Specifically how the NRC works? What does the GM have to do whe working with it, can the player waive and unwaive it during negotiations? Caserio's hands could really have been tied during this whole deal, or he could have really screwed the pooch. We aren't going to know until some facts are known.
And if, as I read, his required low bar for getting to talk to Watson was 3 ones and 2 twos, and a couple players (as I heard a few times), how did Cleveland get a spot at the table with 3 ones and 2 later round picks?
And could have we nixed the deal at the end and forced more compensation or no trade at all? It sounds like Watson's camp and Cleveland made the deal, including our return for Watson in the trade.
Many unanswered questions!

Compared to what Seattle got for Wilson, the Texans are a bigger dumpster fire today than they were yesterday.

That’s a disingenuous argument you’re trying to make and you know that. for 1 those 1st round rookies built his 1st SB team. 2nd, he only went the route he did because he realized his window was still open. Again it’s highly unlikely he takes the unorthodox route he took in jettisoning so many high picks if he’s not in the position of RETOOLING instead of REBUILDING his team from scratch like we’re having to do.

And after all that, a 3rd round undersized WR is the MVP of the SB for his team.
So now you are arguing he does value the 1st round picks

I thought I read over the last few days that at one time or another Watson had waived his NTC for all 4 of the teams involved. If that was the case, why were we not able to choose out of the 4 team who our trading partner was going to be?
All I can read into all that info I read was that 99% of it was bs and speculation. I sure would like someone in the know to take some time and lay out the facts. Specifically how the NRC works? What does the GM have to do whe working with it, can the player waive and unwaive it during negotiations? Caserio's hands could really have been tied during this whole deal, or he could have really screwed the pooch. We aren't going to know until some facts are known.
And if, as I read, his required low bar for getting to talk to Watson was 3 ones and 2 twos, and a couple players (as I heard a few times), how did Cleveland get a spot at the table with 3 ones and 2 later round picks?
And could have we nixed the deal at the end and forced more compensation or no trade at all? It sounds like Watson's camp and Cleveland made the deal, including our return for Watson in the trade.

I think Watson said he'd be WILLING to waive the NTC clause for those 4 teams, but he hadn't waived it yet. That put him in the driver's seat. Caserio had limited choice in what he could do when the biggest consideration was just getting a deal done and DW out of here. I think.

Davis Mills tweeted “let’s work” after the trade news. Kinda like the 9-11 “let’s roll”. With that this trade is a solid A. Watson goes to play in a climate that can limit his mobility with an almost quarter billion GUARANTEED contract structured to eliminate most of his expected loss from a possible suspension from a clinical addiction to massage parlors in a league reaching out to women and kids. The Browns will not see a first round draft choice without a trade of good talent until 2025…the second longest period in NFL history. We struggled with his 150 million contract. He appears to have shunned home and family for more money than he will ever need. Watching Wilson’s fantastic podium speech in Denver really is a tale of two QB’s, Wilson being the most valuable. Texans won, the NFL lost. This should end all this speculation that had him going to Carolina, the Saints or the Falcons for what nobody knows what was offered, not that it would have mattered anyway. It may work for the Browns, I don’t care. But I see a lot of future turmoil on that team on all future contracts for 52 other players. Good job NC and Lovie. Let’s work.

So now you are arguing he does value the 1st round picks

no im saying his stance on 1st round picks changed over time as his team developed and became SB contenders. Gurley, Goff and Donald were 1st round picks he used to build that core that went to the SB in 2019. He only traded 1 1st round pick to nab Cooks. This 2nd SB run he traded like 4 1st rounders between Ramsey & Stafford. I do t think he does that if he doesn’t already have a SB core already in place. 2nd round picks were used to nab Woods, Kupp and Akers over a few years.

this appears to be the model Cleveland is attempting to use width DW4 as they didn’t give up a 2nd to the Texans. Difference here is the baggage coming with DW4. It will be tough for him wherever he goes to play next year. He’s also been off a year & is expected to be suspended for an unknown amount of games. I think year 1 might be a wash for them and turn out good for us draft wise in the long run. Cleveland’s defense is also suspect. They had a soft ass schedule last year…so much so that Clowney was able to get 9.5 sacks so take that for what it’s worth. Baltimore is absolutely loaded on defense and only got better with some key FA acquisitions. They will also be healthy. For those not paying attention, they were the most injured team in the league last year. Also Pitt won’t be a pushover & we all know about Cincy. that division overall will be tough.

Last edited:

The other trade offers were merely speculation. Sure the other teams could have offered all the sunshine, lollipops and rainbows in the sky that Cleveland apparently didn’t… or they could have offered a similar package to get a visit.

The NTC effectively made the diva a restricted free agent with right of first refusal.

His visits were contract negotiations. The trade price was set but him and his agent were playing the other teams against eachother for the best new contract. We know there are a few more teams that have added the diva to the list of most hated NFL player (Falcons at the top for alienating their QB and coming out with nothing).

I’m just glad the Texans got three firsts for the diva. Now its time to rebuild this team.

I think Watson said he'd be WILLING to waive the NTC clause for those 4 teams, but he hadn't waived it yet. That put him in the driver's seat. Caserio had limited choice in what he could do when the biggest consideration was just getting a deal done and DW out of here. I think.

The NTC is not technically waiver until the deal is completed and approved by the NFL. So even now Watson could back out and say I’m not waving my NTC. Watson never waved his NTC to talk to the teams and by NFL rules he didn’t have to till an actual trade was made.

People on here saying Caserio should have told Watson give me a list of teams you are waving your NTC for don’t understand how it works. Watson could have said “These are the teams I wave my NTC for.” but it would have been meaningless as the only thing that could enforce it is the value of Watson’s word which we all know is worthless.

Despite what some say Caserio played hard ball the only way he could and still make a trade. When Watson said what teams he wanted to play for Caserio told the teams but said he would not let them at the table unless they agreed to his minimal of three 1sts and whatever else. After that he had to go with whatever team Watson wanted no matter if there was a better offer or not. The only other choice was nix all trades and keep Watson on the roster, pay him his money and watch him fake an injury for the next 4 years and still get paid under NFL rules.

Can anyone really say that was the better choice?

He is and since there was no players involved, he wasn't. Caserio does still have a few responsibilities and that includes managing trades. And like we already know, Nick ain't no manager. He proved it once again yesterday. Come draft weekend be afraid, be very afraid.

He wanted three 1sts and 2 players for a Sexual Predator.

He got 3 1sts and a 3rd. Not what he wanted but still pretty good considering that the Sexual Predator held all of the cards.

Although I can say this post was pretty predictable.

That would be Junior. And what we have learned over the last year is that GM Nick Caserio is Junior's son.

I thought Caserio did a pretty good job last yr considering the limitations he had to work with. This is why I dont want Lovie running the personnel side of things. Are you going to be one of those Caserio can do no right and Lovie's running things except when things dont meet your expectations kind of guy?

If it's the older pennies that actually have a little copper in them, that could be pretty valuable.
Probably would have to have a lot of old ones because I’ll need so many. I plan to collect them from the HEB parking lot over time.

Here is what a Texans Russell Wilson type trade with the Browns would've looked like.

2022 - RD 1 = #13, RD 2 = #44
2023 - 1st and 2nd RD draft picks
2024 - 1st RD draft pick
Baker Mayfield, QB
Grant Delpit, SS
Tommy Togai, DT

Baker Mayfield could be traded for a minimum of what the Colts got for Wentz. Probably more. Plus Texans keep Mayfield being traded to Colts.

So now you know just how bad Caserio F'd this up.
Very good post, this would have made me feel this trade was a Win/Win for both sides. I thought that’s what Nick and Lovie stated. I definitely was hoping for a bigger haul. A part of me was so happy this rapist is gone. But why stop fighting now? He waived the NTC, your right there, get it. We have been waiting for this day and Dealt with so much drama, time to cash in. What happened?

Probably would have to have a lot of old ones because I’ll need so many. I plan to collect them from the HEB parking lot over time.

You're going to have to chase off all the goddamned birds pecking away at everything. I applaud your effort though, but watch out for all the folks wondering around asking for handouts. And don't forget your bottle of hand sanitizer.

we’re still the biggest dumpster fire. And what we gave up for him is nearly the same as what we got for him. The difference is he was an unknown quantity with what most considered a high bust rate when we got him. Now he is pretty much a proven veteran and consensus top five QB by most of the NFL front offices and is still very young. There’s a huge difference in who he was then vs now.

The difference between now and when they got him is he's slated to make 250 mil and he has to play in Cleveland.

I thought Caserio did a pretty good job last yr considering the limitations he had to work with. This is why I dont want Lovie running the personnel side of things. Are you going to be one of those Caserio can do no right and Lovie's running things except when things dont meet your expectations kind of guy?
I think this a moot point. Those two and all of the coaches and scouts will have input. Lovie has already stated that he was extremely impressed with the draft room last year and how it was organized. I think credit or blame can’t be put on one person.

I think this a moot point. Those two and all of the coaches and scouts will have input. Lovie has already stated that he was extremely impressed with the draft room last year and how it was organized. I think credit or blame can’t be put on one person.

Whoever is making the final calls should get the credit/blame.

This draft is going to show us what we got in our GM. I really hope it's a good showing, as a Texans fan I need some relief somewhere.

You're going to have to chase off all the goddamned birds pecking away at everything. I applaud your effort though, but watch out for all the folks wondering around asking for handouts. And don't forget your bottle of hand sanitizer.
are you serious about the handout people? I haven’t seen that yet but my nephew tells me they are horrible in Austin.

I know I've said that Caserio still has some management responsibilities, like managing trades and draft picks and such. But dayum, they've already taken away his headset and after yesterday's debacle it won't be long before they take away his telephone. Good Grief.

Very good post, this would have made me feel this trade was a Win/Win for both sides. I thought that’s what Nick and Lovie stated. I definitely was hoping for a bigger haul. A part of me was so happy this rapist is gone. But why stop fighting now? He waived the NTC, your right there, get it. We have been waiting for this day and Dealt with so much drama, time to cash in. What happened?
Exactly. Caserio had this Wilson trade model long before the grand jury passed on DW4. All Nick had to do is send this Texans Russell Wilson trade model to the Cleveland Browns with the message, if you can meet these demands then we will allow you to speak with DW4. Done! Caserio was afraid of scaring off of the Browns and lowballed them wanting them to be in the game. A manager he is not. Haslam went bat siht crazy with a record deal for DW4. Meeting the Texans Russell Wilson trade model demands would have been automatic.

I know I've said that Caserio still has some management responsibilities, like managing trades and draft picks and such. But dayum, they've already taken away his headset and after yesterday's debacle it won't be long before they take away his telephone. Good Grief.

LOL

Lovie has to approve the trades since he's running the show.

This right here is what all of the confusion is about. Watson did not wave his NTC and he technically still hasn’t waved his NTC. It won’t be waved until the deal is submitted and approved by the NFL and he is officially on the Browns roster.

Back