Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

Let’s say you’re the Houston Texans I want to give you a 1st round pick for David Johnson. Would you prefer I pay with a 2022 pick or a 2024 pick?

depends on where my team is at and how much I value Johnson. Are we a David Johnson type player away from a SB or are we in rebuild mode?

the value of the pick hinges tremendously on those 2 variables.

We saw the Rams throw away 1st round picks like they were nothing for Stafford because they KNEW they were close. It worked out for them. I don’t think they do that if theyre in that position. I don’t think Cleveland is there either.

No you do. Nick easily could’ve controlled this situation. Watson had the right to nix a trade somewhere he didn’t want to go. that NTC didn’t give him the right to know the details and parameters of the trade. Nick could of told him to give him a list of teams he would be willing to go to. From that point on Watson and his agent should’ve had no input.

Nick could’ve played hard ball and said look we’re not required to trade you. ill Shut you down until the end of your contract if you don’t like it. Pick the teams you would go to and shut your mouth While we hammer out a deal with one of them. But no he’s a glorified file clerk so he caved to watsons agent and gave him all the control. This BS that Watson held all the cards is ignorant.

Watson signed what 5 year contract? he was obligated to honor that contract or he was breaching it. He already missed a whole year. You think if Nick had held his feet to the fire and told him sit out the next 4 years for all I care. It’s your career.

Nick gets an AR for a grade. He didn’t stand his ground and he let Watson weaponize his NTC. Pathetic! He just let the first franchise (young) QB in the history of or franchise go for far less than he should of gotten. Maybe you people are just so happy he’s gone you’ve accepted this outcome. Doesn’t make it a good one.

so you suggested Caserio play hardball and shelving Watson for 3-4 more years and devalue an asset that is not committed to playing for the team. That is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I am disappointed Texans didn’t get more but he’s gone and giving a player especially one with a propensity for making questionable off the field choices a guaranteed mega deal is playing with fire.

Dude stop acting like you know what teams would or did offer. You don’t know ****.
Knowing how low Caserio set the bar for Cleveland, the Atlanta bar was probably close to being the same if not the same (no players).

Caserio navigated several hurdles:

-Traded a player who historically didn’t keep his word. Demanded a trade 4 months after signing
-A player that almost faced criminal charges for sexually assaulting several women last week
-A player still under civil charges for another 20 different women
-A player who held a team hostage for a year while getting paid 10 million
-A player who has never been to an AFC Championship game
-A player that could be suspended in the coming year
-A player who asked to renegotiate his contract so when suspended he won’t have to lose as much money
-A player who demanded his contract guaranteed at the 11th hour of a deal after the other teams said no

Did I miss anything?

Caserio got what he wanted 3 first round picks and other assets.

Texans can move on.

I grade this trade as a success.

I feel like several of you got a little too exciting about this trade and had unreasonable expectations. I said as much in the Watson thread earlier.

I think it could have gone better for the Texans but it's still a huge haul for a player most people didn't want any more
Can we stop with "huge" haul. It's a haul but it's far from huge.

The Texans got exactly ONE pick in this year's draft (#13). That's it. The 2023 1st will likely be in the 20's, could be in the upper 20's at that. Damn near a 2nd round pick. The same goes for the 2024 1st. That also means the 2023 3rd will likely be closer to a 4th, and the 2024 4th, closer to a 5th.

The Texans were in a no-win situation, partly of their own doing, but still. They got some picks, enough to take them as is or do some maneuvering, and they no longer have all the drama, well, of at least Watson that is.

I don't think they'll be getting this sunken ship pried off the seafloor in 2022, but maybe they break it loose next year? Maybe start having it rise towards the surface in '24? Maybe start seeing daylight by '25? ****, will any of us still be alive when/if they ever reach the surface?

depends on where my team is at and how much I value Johnson. Are we a David Johnson type player away from a SB or are we in rebuild mode?

the value of the pick hinges tremendously on those 2 variables.

We saw the Rams throw away 1st round picks like they were nothing for Stafford because they KNEW they were close. It worked out for them. I don’t think they do that if theyre in that position. I don’t think Cleveland is there either.
You’re the Texans today.

I offer you a 1st round pick today

Your choice, a 2022 1st, or a 2024 1st which would you like for compensation

If we traded with Atlanta we would have had the #8 and 2 2nds THIS YEAR. To repeat Texian, we only got ONE ADDITIONAL DRAFT PICK THIS YEAR. Draft picks with slots you know THIS YEAR are more valuable than those in the future. Why can’t you get that. Texian has been dead on accurate about this team, ownership and GMs for more than a decade. Let me tell you something, I have more faith if he was GM in getting us a better deal. The Texans are the epitome of amateur hour clowns.
Caserio was bound by the restrictions of the NTC that he had to operate under. I'm sure he would have loved to have gone gangster on them.

What if he doesn't get suspended? What if he gets a Rothlesberger 4 game suspension, how do you value that? You're dealing with an unknown that you can't put a value on. Watson's Browns career is roughly 200 games, he may get suspended 4 games, how are you going to negotiate that? Demand a 7th RD in 2024 for the suspension?

It's still a possibility. I (they/we) can put a higher value on a player who isn't about to be suspended vs. one who may be. It IS hard to qualify for trade purposes no doubt.

That said, the longer the suspension (if one at all), the more the trade favors the Texans. I think a lot of owners got a wake up call watching this. I think the contract was a slap in the face to the nfl and I think they will react.

We'll see how it plays out. I think it has bearing on the trade as long as it effects draft position. Jmo. Interesting topic.

Well, I can see this place hasn’t changed.

He didn’t even play last season, his pay was going to dramatically increase if he wasn’t traded, and yet they were still able to get 3 1st round picks?? ….. and y’all are bitchin??

I don’t post, or even visit this place anymore, but I figured this Watson deal might be worth a peak. Wrong again. Bye.

Sorry, we have actual trade comps to evaluate - namely Russell Wilson and what the Seahawks got. They have John Schneider and an organization that is respected and one of the best in NFL with a great head coach. We are a team that has Preacher Jack, a GM with no experience who wants wear a headset and meddle with the coaching because he is a narcissist and a team that wanted McCown and DID HIRE clown Culley. Yeah, I am confident that the Seahawks if they were in the position of the Texans could have gotten better value.
Right on! Caserio could have easily said, we have to have a minimum Russell Wilson type deal but because DW4 is 7 years younger we will need 1 extra 1st RD pick. So that's (3) 1st RD draft picks ; 2 2nd RD draft picks (2022 and 2023) and include 3 players from your active roster, a 1st RD draft pick, a 2nd RD draft pick and a day 3 draft pick. But he didn't.

He didn’t even play last season, his pay was going to dramatically increase if he wasn’t traded, and yet they were still able to get 3 1st round picks?? ….. and y’all are bitchin??

I don’t post, or even visit this place anymore, but I figured this Watson deal might be worth a peak. Wrong again. Bye.

You should visit more often. Damn good poster.

I would give Caserio a C.

Of course he was dealt an awful hand by Watson and Easterby, but I think it is front office malpractice not to squeeze out more out of this deal after a year of waiting. That Cleveland was going to give Watson the most guaranteed money in NFL history means that Caserio could have obtained more. Do you really think Watson was going to kill this contract opportunity if another 2nd round pick, or Baker Mayfield were included? I don't.

I see a GM who has now bungled *two* coaching hires- only to hire a retread who last was a winning coach nearly a decade ago and oversaw a defense that was only slightly better than the previous dumpster fire. Caserio has been really underwhelming in building the roster so far- he churned and re-signed mediocre vets coming off a 4 win season and only has Roy Lopez and Davis Mills to show for his tenure so far. Are we sure *anybody* on the roster is a building block on a playoff team? I don't.

Caserio and Easterby will have *years* to get this right, but I don't see it happening. They are in over their heads, IMO.

Been here since 2004. I wish I had a dollar for every reference or argument over Jimmy Johnson's draft value chart.
The chart gave an apples-to-apples comparison and showed just how badly Caserio got screwed. But if you don't like the chart, Caserio could have just said we need a Russell Wilson type deal minimum and add 1st RD pick because DW4 is 7 years younger than Wilson. Better?

Of course he was dealt an awful hand by Watson and Easterby, but I think it is front office malpractice not to squeeze out more out of this deal after a year of waiting. That Cleveland was going to give Watson the most guaranteed money in NFL history means that Caserio could have obtained more. Do you really think Watson was going to kill this contract opportunity if another 2nd round pick, or Baker Mayfield were included? I don't.

I see a GM who has now bungled *two* coaching hires- only to hire a retread who last was a winning coach nearly a decade ago and oversaw a defense that was only slightly better than the previous dumpster fire. Caserio has been really underwhelming in building the roster so far- he churned and re-signed mediocre vets coming off a 4 win season and only has Roy Lopez and Davis Mills to show for his tenure so far. Are we sure *anybody* on the roster is a building block on a playoff team? I don't.

Caserio and Easterby will have *years* to get this right, but I don't see it happening. They are in over their heads, IMO.
Seeing just how bad we got screwed today, I would've preferred Mayfield being included as part of the trade for 2 reasons. 1) you should at least be able to get what Indy got for Wentz if you traded him. 2) you would be able to keep Mayfield from going to Indy.

Caserio could've easily said we need Mayfield to make this trade happen. But he didn't.

You should post more often.

Casserio was dealt an awful hand. I'm not sure he had much choice on coaches. I think most candidates didn't want to be here. I don't think any of us know the mechanics in negotiating a dw trade like this. Everybody's fighting like they know. None of us do.

I'm still in the wait and see camp with Caserio.

No you do. Nick easily could’ve controlled this situation. Watson had the right to nix a trade somewhere he didn’t want to go. that NTC didn’t give him the right to know the details and parameters of the trade. Nick could of told him to give him a list of teams he would be willing to go to. From that point on Watson and his agent should’ve had no input.

Nick could’ve played hard ball and said look we’re not required to trade you. ill Shut you down until the end of your contract if you don’t like it. Pick the teams you would go to and shut your mouth While we hammer out a deal with one of them. But no he’s a glorified file clerk so he caved to watsons agent and gave him all the control. This BS that Watson held all the cards is ignorant.

Watson signed what 5 year contract? he was obligated to honor that contract or he was breaching it. He already missed a whole year. You think if Nick had held his feet to the fire and told him sit out the next 4 years for all I care. It’s your career.

Nick gets an AR for a grade. He didn’t stand his ground and he let Watson weaponize his NTC. Pathetic! He just let the first franchise (young) QB in the history of or franchise go for far less than he should of gotten. Maybe you people are just so happy he’s gone you’ve accepted this outcome. Doesn’t make it a good one.
I agree with what you're saying, with the exception of one question. Did Caserio have the support of the owners to take that position? The whole Watson fiasco was embarrassing to the team, city, fans & most importantly, the owners. Since the owners would've had to pay Watson's salary for another year & continue to listen to all the media pundits go on & on repeating the story, it would seem to me they may have not supported such a move & just wanted him out of here. Even though, forcing him to waive the NTC for at least two teams is exactly what I would've done had I been in Caserio's position. It's true his NTC gave him some leverage, but the Texans also had the leverage of sitting him on the bench through the prime of his career, if the billionaire owners had supported such a move. But, that's just my opinion.

I understand why you don’t want to answer the question

i did..you just don’t like my answer. It depends on where my team is at. Obviously where we are in the team building process, a 1st now in my view doesnt have significantly more value than 1 promised later.

you disagree, its cool.

It’s the internet. It’s what happens.

It is more pleasant compared to prior years that the NSZ is gone.

The chart gave an apples-to-apples comparison and showed just how badly Caserio got screwed. But if you don't like the chart, Caserio could have just said we need a Russell Wilson type deal minimum and add 1st RD pick because DW4 is 7 years younger than Wilson. Better?

The value chart is set in stone. It doesn't fluctuate or account for the strengths of individual drafts. They may be top heavy with guys like manning or luck. They might be weak till pick 20 and solid through 40.

The chart value doesn't change so I think it's flawed.

Wilson has success and character dw doesn't. He doesn't have suspensions or civil cases looming. He's not a pr nightmare. He didn't demand a brand new contract.

It's not an apples to apples comparison imo. It's an apples to peanut butter comparison.

You’re the Texans today.

I offer you a 1st round pick today

Your choice, a 2022 1st, or a 2024 1st which would you like for compensation
You can have a 2022 1st RD draft pick that is in the top half of the draft or a 2024 1st RD draft pick that will likely be #25 or lower. Which will it be? BTW you can trade the 2022 pick and parlay it into a half a dozen draft picks by 2024.

I’m happy we got rid of his worthless ass and we still got the 3 1sts. Ultimately none of us know what took place in negotiations so I’m not going to trash NC. I just don’t know, I don’t have that info to say what NC asked for, what CLE offered, what Cal approved, I just can’t say. If others want to assume great but I just can’t say as I wasn’t in the room. Maybe NC wanted to play hard ball and Cal said just get it done and ship his ass out.

Some posters here have sworn up and down that Cal stepped in and made the Lovie hire so do we really think Cal had NO SAY in this trade?

Last edited:
so you suggested Caserio play hardball and shelving Watson for 3-4 more years and devalue an asset that is not committed to playing for the team. That is the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
I am disappointed Texans didn’t get more but he’s gone and giving a player especially one with a propensity for making questionable off the field choices a guaranteed mega deal is playing with fire.
I suggested he use it as leverage. Just as Watson did with his NTC. You really think Watson would risk losing another year of his career? Watson wanted out as bad as we wanted him gone. I’m sure he’s chomping at the bit to get back on the Field. you Guys would make horrible negotiators.

to suggest a right to refuse a specific trade with certain teams (NTC) is more leverage than forcing a guy to legally miss out on a second consecutive season or more is just plain silly. Nick had the better hand and he let Watson and his agent control the situation. That’s bad poker my friend.

You can have a 2022 1st RD draft pick that is in the top half of the draft or a 2024 1st RD draft pick that will likely be #25 or lower.

Likely #25 or lower?

You just told me you refused to account for a suspension in your value of the trade because it was an unknown.

Now you value that '24 pick based on an unknown?

Seems contradictory.

This dude goes from potentially going to jail to nabbing the most guaranteed money EVER.

230 million FULLY GUARANTEED. my lord these owners need to be saved from themselves.
Qb's have always had the leverage, especially top notch ones. Its a wonder how they've been brainwashed into thinking they don't. Brady, Manning,and a host of others could've forced the hand of organizations,but didn't. Going forward, we're going to see more ntc for qb's because they are the single most important players in sports.

za

Let me ask you a question and see how smart you are - if you have $1 in your pocket today is it worth more or less than a $1 in your pocket next year? If you can answer that question correctly, you’ll know why Texian and I are right.
TBF, Burger is gone after one 'use' so not good example. If you draft or trade a 2022 pick for a player you have use of that player barring injury for entire season. That is extremely valuable but more so if you are one guy away or if that player has a year that brings you to next level. No one in this draft do I see doing that. 2023? Perhaps Stroud or Young as QB could take the roster in 2023 to SB but so could Mills. Go on, laugh.

LG Ekwonu at 3. WR Jameson Williams at 13.
RG ZION at 37. RT Petit-frere at 68 and at 80 Salyer who trains at OC and has some college snaps there. If he cannot start there in 2023 move him to RT and Petit-frere to LT after trading Tunsil.

Alabama RB Robinson I 4th.

If Davis Mills can be our QB for 10 years that is huge. Two round ones and our two in 2023 draft could be really.

i did..you just don’t like my answer. It depends on where my team is at. Obviously where we are in the team building process, a 1st now in my view doesnt have significantly more value than 1 promised later.

you disagree, its cool.
If you’d have said you’d prefer the 2024 pick I’d know I was wasting my time.

to me “significantly more” isn’t even a factor. “More” is the important part.

You can trade that 1st today for a 1st & 4th next year. Next year you could trade it for a 1st & 4th in 2024.

That 2022 1st round pick got you a player you pick in the 4th round of the 2023 draft, a player you pick in the 1st round of the 2024 draft, & a player you pick in the 4th round of the 2024 draft.

Can’t do that with a 2024 pick. Most you would get for that 2024 1st round pick today would be a high 3rd.

I'm going to be very curious how Goodell is going to handle any suspension of Watson. Watson & his agent have snubbed their noses at the NFL by negotiating his base salary next year to be just $1,000,000. It's my hope Goodell won't just let that slide & gets creative with the suspension. Maybe he lets him play this year while they continue their investigation & suspend him for the entire following year, or suspends him for half of this year & half of the next year. And since Cleveland drew up the contract, maybe he takes additional draft picks away from them. I have no idea what he will do, but this is something he can't just let go, because every agent out there is now going to try something like this in the future if there are no repercussions.
Maybe nothing is done until the settlements are taken care of.

You can trade that 1st today for a 1st & 4th next year. Next year you could trade it for a 1st & 4th in 2024.

That 2022 1st round pick got you a player you pick in the 4th round of the 2023 draft, a player you pick in the 1st round of the 2024 draft, & a player you pick in the 4th round of the 2024 draft.

Can’t do that with a 2024 pick. Most you would get for that 2024 1st round pick today would be a high 3rd.

See post 331.

After thinking ablut it.... Im now on board with firing NC.

We SHOULD hire DWs agent to be our GM.

Not only did he sell the Browns on the massive contract for DW but even with EVERYTHING the Browns have seen in DWs behavior managed to guarantee him 230 million.

Talk about selling ice cubes to indeg..ingeni endudgenus..... ah to the dang Eskimos.

this is a question of value…and I’ve been saying this since the Clowney trade. Value is relative. You “could” trade for this or that is subject to what value the other party places on the asset. The rams have repeatedly shown they don’t value 1st round draft picks in the same way fans and other GM’s do…their GM wore a “$&@# those 1st round draft picks” T-shirt to the SB parade for god sakelol:.

hard to imagine he’d do and/or feel the same way & have the same thought process if his team wasn’t in the position it was.

LOL dejaview has reared his ugly head. I’m sure you are 100% with this trade like you eat up all the **** this team serves. Your brainpower if measured in horsepower would be like a Yugo or David Culley. Take your pick.

Dude there’s no reason to start with personal attacks. You don’t like the trade, we get it. Sorry we aren’t all as emotional about it as you are think it’s a sign of everything wrong with the team. If you hate it so much go cheer for whatever team you think does things right.

That's actually a great excuse for the nfl to wait and suspend him on next year's salary...
When everything jumped off, posters expected him to be on the cel and it didn't happen. Honestly, the Texans probably expected this also and when it didn't happen, it got awkward really quick. Culley answering questions, Caserio talking about silicon valley, Cal playing Xbox. I said from the beginning, make him play and if he refuses, get into his money or make the nfl step up. By being passive aggressive, it just strung along for no reason. Caserio did what he could based on maybe from the family. Now, there are no excuses with the draft capital they received,but we all know that if you don't draft a high end qb, everyone will be fired in 3 years.

When everything jumped off, posters expected him to be on the cel and it didn't happen. Honestly, the Texans probably expected this also and when it didn't happen, it got awkward really quick. Culley answering questions, Caserio talking about silicon valley, Cal playing Xbox. I said from the beginning, make him play and if he refuses, get into his money or make the nfl step up. By being passive aggressive, it just strung along for no reason. Caserio did what he could based on maybe from the family. Now, there are no excuses with the draft capital they received,but we all know that if you don't draft a high end qb, everyone will be fired in 3 years.

Cnd cited an injury bi-law making it impossible to play him. I thought the same beforehand.

this is a question of value…and I’ve been saying this since the Clowney trade. Value is relative. You “could” trade for this or that is subject to what value the other party places on the asset. The rams have repeatedly shown they don’t value 1st round draft picks in the same way fans and other GM’s do…their GM wore a “$&@# those 1st round draft picks” T-shirt to the SB parade for god sakelol:.

hard to imagine he’d do and/or feel the same way & have the same thought process if his team wasn’t in the position it was.
He values those 1st round picks as much as anyone. He built his team using them. Just not in the draft.

When he starts passing out 1st round picks for Case Keenum or Vernon Hargreaves then we can say he values them differently.

He doesn’t value 1st round rookies as much as the rest of the league. He’s probably right about that considering most underperform expectations

thats just it. No one knows what The landscape of the NFL will look like 2 years from now & it can’t be predicted…so you really can’t give a thumbs up or down on a trade until all the pieces have been nabbed…especially for the team receiving the picks where you’ll be selecting and making moves off of the picks for literally years to come.

On the other side of the coin the team receiving the player, they’ve made a statement by giving up that much for him. At a minimum They’re saying SB or bust in the next 4-5 years. & if that or something greater doesn’t happen, then they’ve automatically lost the trade.

The Browns literally JUST did something like this with the OBJ trade…& it didn’t work out for them.
Just to add, the Washington team got Saints entire draft and half of the next year draft and they didn't win anything. The Rams got a haul for the RG3 trade and in less than 3 years, .500 fisher was fired. Only time will tell on both sides. Maybe both teams win,maybe both lose, or maybe its a draw

Back