Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

I'm going to be very curious how Goodell is going to handle any suspension of Watson. Watson & his agent have snubbed their noses at the NFL by negotiating his base salary next year to be just $1,000,000. It's my hope Goodell won't just let that slide & gets creative with the suspension. Maybe he lets him play this year while they continue their investigation & suspend him for the entire following year, or suspends him for half of this year & half of the next year. And since Cleveland drew up the contract, maybe he takes additional draft picks away from them. I have no idea what he will do, but this is something he can't just let go, because every agent out there is now going to try something like this in the future if there are no repercussions.

We can all hope that a 23rd girl comes forward with undisputable proof, criminal charges are filed and he winds up in jail for 7 yrs
Doesn't even need to come to that.

The first time he enters a Cleveland massage parlor, first Cleveland winter or a year away from the field hurt him more than he thought... he will cry, want a trade and quit.

IF he was lucky this time... he will likely do it again even worse since very little happened legally to him.

Either way... he is the Browns problem now.

I'm going to be very curious how Goodell is going to handle any suspension of Watson. Watson & his agent have snubbed their noses at the NFL by negotiating his base salary next year to be just $1,000,000. It's my hope Goodell won't just let that slide & gets creative with the suspension. Maybe he lets him play this year while they continue their investigation & suspend him for the entire following year, or suspends him for half of this year & half of the next year. And since Cleveland drew up the contract, maybe he takes additional draft picks away from them. I have no idea what he will do, but this is something he can't just let go, because every agent out there is now going to try something like this in the future if there are no repercussions.

Mugheleta is playing with fire. This is a true FU to the league......... still the 22 civils.

There is a brand to be uphold.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping details come out in Watson's civil case that cause Goodell to suspend him for the 2022 season.

The Browns, having shot their wad getting Watson, have no viable backup QB, proceed to have a losing season and miss the playoffs.

Browns 2023 1st round pick, now belonging to the Texans, ends up being in the top 8 or so.

Keenum is a pretty solid QB as far as backups are concerned...

here’s the other thing: who is he throwing to? Landry was released earlier. OBJ got shipped out last year. Austin Hooper was also released. All they have is Njoku and whomever they select at WR in the draft.
Didn't they get Amari Cooper from Dallas?

And IDGAF what he was offered. That has nothing to do with anything I was grading him on.

As I said, I'm totally fine with what we got in return. The Browns' 1st round picks for the next 3 years along with our own? I'm happy. I think we can do a lot with that. Everything else is gravy. As others have said, his hands could well have been tied simply by Watson's last minute shenanigans.

But my grade wasn't based on what we got or how happy I personally was with it. My grade was based on my understanding of what his minimum amount to come to the table was going to be. If he had met what I understood him to say was the minimum he'd accept, then he'd have gotten a C. He didn't get that so he got a D.
A professional organization with no dog in this fight rated it an A.
Would you be prepared to split the difference?

Surprised no one has criticized the negotiation method. Make us an offer before you can present to Watson then let Watson go to which one he wants after discussions and take their initial offer. That's fine for seeing who is serious, but not a great way to drive up the price. I understand that the ntc effects things but it doesn't seem like the method they chose to go about this was the best way to induce a bidding war.
Nick Caserio gambled not having an auction sale and he lost.

what value is bringing a young player over here in a trade that may not necessarily want to be here? He may wanna get outta here as soon as his contract is up. Best to handpick the guys you want coming in here than forcing a guy to come here.

well u get a young blu chipper for 4 years thats why if does not want to be here then worry about that in 2025 ..????

What d? It was horrible last year and nothing has really changed. Even if we use both round one a 22 for defensive players how much improvement will that bring?
The idea of getting young players wasn’t happening.
Even if a team would give up a known commodity that was still on his rookie contract, that would have taken away from the 3 1’s and teams would rather keep a known commodity for an unknown 1st rounder.
ATL offered up players but HOU wasn’t getting all those picks.

Lil disappointed. I was hoping for more. I think (hope) it may look better after the suspension.

Nicks job is just now getting started. If he can nail these picks, history will look back on the Texans favorably. If Watson flops in Cleveland (especially with that contract) we win the trade.

Whatever happens, it's Cleveland's problem now and that's a good thing.

C+

well u get a young blu chipper for 4 years thats why if does not want to be here then worry about that in 2025 ..????

These guys arent waiting until their rookie deals are up so You’re setting yourself up for failure doing that. We likely won’t be competing next year and that guy could be ready to force his way out of here in 2 years if he’s balling and thinks he deserves more money & we’re not winning………like Ramsey did with Jax…

Using the trade value chart, the #1 pick in the draft is worth 3000 pts. DW4 is a top 3 franchise QB in NFL is worth much more than that.

Today's trade

#13 = 1150
2023 1st RD equivalent of mid 2nd RD today = 380
2024 1st RD equivalent of mid 3rd RD today = 170
2023 3rd RD equivalent of mid 4th RD today = 47
2024 4th RD equivalent of mid 6th RD today = 10

-2024 5th RD equivalent of mid 7th RD today = <1>

Total = 1756 or equivalent to the #5 pick in this year's draft is what the Browns paid the Texans for DW4. If the Browns had included Myles Garrett (3000) this would have been a fair and equal trade. Why without Garrett, #44, #78, #99, #107 this year were important to balancing this trade. Plus it would've given Texans a number of good picks to rebuild the team starting this year. Instead Texans walk away with one extra pick in the 2022 draft.
What did Denver give up for Russell using this same method

Using the trade value chart, the #1 pick in the draft is worth 3000 pts. DW4 is a top 3 franchise QB in NFL is worth much more than that.

Today's trade

#13 = 1150

Total = 1756 or equivalent to the #5 pick in this year's draft is what the Browns paid the Texans for DW4. If the Browns had included Myles Garrett (3000) this would have been a fair and equal trade. Why without Garrett, #44, #78, #99, #107 this year were important to balancing this trade. Plus it would've given Texans a number of good picks to rebuild the team starting this year. Instead Texans walk away with one extra pick in the 2022 draft.
Yep if they decide to trade away all of the picks they received for Watson in this years draft you are absolutely correct.
Seems really unlikely to happen.

Reactions: JB
The idea of getting young players wasn’t happening.
Even if a team would give up a known commodity that was still on his rookie contract, that would have taken away from the 3 1’s and teams would rather keep a known commodity for an unknown 1st rounder.
ATL offered up players but HOU wasn’t getting all those picks.
So confident now the deal is done

Lil disappointed. I was hoping for more. I think (hope) it may look better after the suspension.

Nicks job is just now getting started. If he can nail these picks, history will look back on the Texans favorably. If Watson flops in Cleveland (especially with that contract) we win the trade.

Whatever happens, it's Cleveland's problem now and that's a good thing.

C+

Sounds like you fell prey to the hype spewed by these yahoos on the radio around here. I don’t think people really understand the value of a 1st round pick. It goes beyond just being able to select a top player in the 1st round.

Today's trade

#13 = 1150

Totally agree and thanks for doing this. I was going to but was just too mind blown from today's blow up.

Cleveland is on the clock. The cap is going to catch up to them. Suspend Watson this year & as long as the civil cases linger. Cleveland won’t recover from that.

& if he settles, suspend him for whatever he admits to

Great post.

If Mills turns out to be our franchise, he could be negotiating a new deal to reflect his status in 2023 at latest 24 just when we should be ready to compete for SB. Not be in it just competing. What will a young QB be looking at.. $30 million a year? Compare to the cap and type roster we will have.

Anyone who grades this an F is not being objective at all.

And this trade value chart talk is asinine, a first round pick equals a 2nd round next year and a third 2 years from now. What a load of KY up Watson’s butt!

They are 3 FIRST round picks!

First round like before all the good players have left the board. Not equivalent to 2nd and 3rd round because they don’t take place this year.

What did Denver give up for Russell using this same method
Denver gave up
#9 = 1350
#40 = 500
1st RD 2023, equivalent to 2nd RD = 380
2nd RD 2023, equivalent to 3rd RD = 180
Plus 3 players
Drew Lock, 2nd RD, pick 42
Noah Fant, 1st RD, pick 20
Shelby Harris, 7th RD, pick 237 = 600

Total Russell Wilson = 3010 vs DeShaun Watson = 1756

Now here is the real kicker, RUSSELL WILSON IS 33 YEARS OLD. HE'S 7 YEARS OLDER THAN DESHAUN WATSON. USING 38 AS THE BENCHMARK FOR QBs TO RETIRE. DESHAUN WATSON WILL PLAY TWICE AS LONG AS RUSSELL WILSON. 3000 POINTS FOR A 33 YR OLD TOP 5 QB IS FAIR VALUE.

No other way to say this say this; NICK CASERIO AND CAL McNAIR GOT HOSED! RATHER BADLY!

Caserio better make good on what he got.
[/QUOTE]
Agreed. This is just the beginning for Caserio.
He needs to hit on every aspect of these picks and turn them into what Jimmy Johnson turned the Herschel Walker trade into.

Denver gave up
#9 = 1350
#40 = 500
Plus 3 players

Now here is the real kicker, RUSSELL WILSON IS 33 YEARS OLD. HE'S 7 YEARS OLDER THAN DESHAUN WATSON. USING 38 AS THE BENCHMARK FOR QBs TO RETIRE. DESHAUN WATSON WILL PLAY TWICE AS LONG AS RUSSELL WILSON.

No other way to say this say this; NICK CASERIO AND CAL McNAIR GOT HOSED! RATHER BADLY!

If Caserio ended up with Drew Lock, who blows, Noah Fant who drops everything and Shelby Harris who’s a vet rotational player, you’d be having a seizure right now.

Denver gave up
#9 = 1350
#40 = 500
Plus 3 players

Now here is the real kicker, RUSSELL WILSON IS 33 YEARS OLD. HE'S 7 YEARS OLDER THAN DESHAUN WATSON. USING 38 AS THE BENCHMARK FOR QBs TO RETIRE. DESHAUN WATSON WILL PLAY TWICE AS LONG AS RUSSELL WILSON. 3000 POINTS FOR A 33 YR OLD TOP 5 QB IS FAIR VALUE.

This... And considering that the Browns still have 5 picks in the top 118 for this year's draft after the trade - feels like a lot of meat was left on the bone. I understand being happy that the whole thing is over and we got something when we potentially could have gotten nothing. But that doesn't mean that we couldn't have done better with a more shrewd GM. Probably a lot better.

Well it's done, good riddance to the quitter. The grade is incomplete until the outcome of the draft picks. Of course everyone wishes they would have gotten more but it is what it is. Caserio is now on the clock. I wouldn't be surprised if there was no lengthy suspension for Derrick. IIRC, when the NFL started their investigation the accusers didn't feel respected during the questioning by the NFL.

Your more confident now that it’s done?
No lol was talking about you being certain players would not be included after . I may have missed them but could you refer me to your posts before the trade saying that players would not be included. No big deal I am not going to pursue it further. Say what you want.

If Caserio ended up with Drew Lock, who blows, Noah Fant who drops everything and Shelby Harris who’s a vet rotational player, you’d be having a seizure right now.
Simmer down now, Lock would be the backup QB and better than what they have now. PFF has Fant rated as a Top 10 TE. Harris is added depth. Depth is a good thing. And this is a lot more than they got from Cleveland. Even if you discount the players The Russell trade still best DW4 trade by more than 600. They still got hosed!

Do you think you can get 2.42 for Drew Lock right now? I doubt it.

But altogether the three are worth 600, I think that’s about right.

without those three (& Noah Fant is the only real value there) they still scored 2410 points

I don’t know if they got hosed. Even at 33 I’d take Wilson over Watson.

1,300 points different…. nah, you’re right. Hosed.

No lol was talking about you being certain players would not be included after . I may have missed them but could you refer me to your posts before the trade saying that players would not be included. No big deal I am not going to pursue it further. Say what you want.
We were hopeful but there was never any proof whatsoever that players would be part of the trade including 3 1’s and other picks. That was you and I being hopeful.

That damn NTC was a very big thorn in this whole trade.
Russell Wilson had a NTC & Seattle did aiight. Matt Ryan has an NTC, I bet Atlanta would do ok if they were to trade him, which I would if I were them. The NFCSouth belongs to Brady for the next couple of years.

Simmer down now, Lock would be the backup QB and better than what they have now. PFF has Fant rated as a Top 10 TE. Harris is added depth. Depth is a good thing. And this is a lot more than they got from Cleveland.
So now a back up QB, LOL a TE with a bad case of the droppsies, LOL and an old man, depth player on the d line LOL we’re the make or break players for you in this deal….

:laughjump:

Do you think you can get 2.42 for Drew Lock right now? I doubt it.

But altogether the three are worth 600, I think that’s about right.

without those three (& Noah Fant is the only real value there) they still scored 2410 points

I don’t know if they got hosed. Even at 33 I’d take Wilson over Watson.

1,300 points different…. nah, you’re right. Hosed.
The 600 for the players is only half of what their draft value was. Their draft value was 1300.

But that doesn't mean that we couldn't have done better with a more shrewd GM. Probably a lot better.

We really don’t know how things went down, how much the contract negotiations were a part of it.

if I’m Cleveland & I’m fully guaranteeing $230M, there ain’t no more meat on them bones.

I guess I'm the only Texans fan around that is content with this deal. :koolaid:

The SOB is gone! And the Texans have multiple 1st rounders in the next three drafts to look forward to. I'm not going to complain. This is a great day for me. :texflag:

You’re not, I’m actually pretty happy with the deal. Great QB class next year, if Mills doesn’t work out, and we will either have a high pick to get them or lots of draft capital to move up. Best of all the team isn’t held hostage any more and Lovie and Caserio can now focus on rebuilding and winning.

We really don’t know how things went down, how much the contract negotiations were a part of it.

if I’m Cleveland & I’m fully guaranteeing $230M, there ain’t no more meat on them bones.

Agreed. I've wondered a lot about the mechanics of it all. No one's posted nfl bi-laws on the matter if there even are any.

I assume there have been a few trades fleshed out with ntc's but I'm not familiar with them. It would be interesting to compare those to this one.

Simmer down now, Lock would be the backup QB and better than what they have now. PFF has Fant rated as a Top 10 TE. Harris is added depth. Depth is a good thing. And this is a lot more than they got from Cleveland. Even if you discount the players The Russell trade still best DW4 trade by more than 600. They still got hosed!
Russell Wilson doesn't have 20 suits still pending against him.

Back