Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

Well perhaps, knowing you are sitting at the poker table with Cal McNair and Nick Caserio. Today was a double whammy for the Browns. DW4 for .50 on the dollar. Fire up those cigars Cleveland. This upcoming draft 2022, the Browns give up 1 draft pick. Let me say that again, ONE.

At least be consistent.
Is it .50 on the dollar or .60 as you claimed in your other post?

I think that's what makes the trade look bad.

If you were to trade that 2023 1st to get a player this year, you can expect a 2nd in return.

If you were to trade that 2024 1st to get a player this year, you can expect a 3rd in return.

So you basically traded Watson for a 1st, a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th....

I'm fine with it. As long as he doesn't trade those first into this year.

Value wise maybe. Still, six first round picks in the next 25 months

This dude goes from potentially going to jail to nabbing the most guaranteed money EVER.

230 million FULLY GUARANTEED. my lord these owners need to be saved from themselves.

Its a Cleveland move man......... why they have been failing for years. It does not make sense

Ill be happy picking thier first for next 3 years. Yes for a QB who still got civil suits from 22 women and who has not played in 16 months

Thats a total CLEVELAND rigth thur!

This dude goes from potentially going to jail to nabbing the most guaranteed money EVER.

230 million FULLY GUARANTEED. my lord these owners need to be saved from themselves.

He has a history of not keeping his word after signing contracts and holding teams hostage.

That is also very important.

No thank you. I have seen James Harden. I want no James Harden on steroids.

ill give him a D-

u couldn't get one 2nd round pick couldn't even sniff and least get that to make u feel somewhat OK ..????

u couldn't get 1 player ..??? lord knows we couldn't get a 1 year rookie player ..???? but at least a 4 or 5 year vet ..??? nadda nothing

if we just got some sprinkles i would feel better but we didnt so i think nick got fleeced

I still hope the Texans trade their #3 to the Giants for either their 5th or 7th pick along with a second round pick. The Texans could then pick Sauce and Jordan Davis in the 1st, and still have a lot of draft capital to fill the other holes.

ill give him a D-

u couldn't get one 2nd round pick couldn't even sniff and least get that to make u feel somewhat OK ..????

u couldn't get 1 player ..??? lord knows we couldn't get a 1 year rookie player ..???? but at least a 4 or 5 year vet ..??? nadda nothing

if we just got some sprinkles i would feel better but we didnt so i think nick got fleeced

what value is bringing a young player over here in a trade that may not necessarily want to be here? He may wanna get outta here as soon as his contract is up. Best to handpick the guys you want coming in here than forcing a guy to come here.

The Texans were handcuffed with this situation. Caserio was handcuffed. I was hoping for a little more, a combination of picks and established vets but in the end Watson and Mulugheta had the Texans over a barrel once Watson was exonerated of criminal charges. The only way the hard-core anti-Watson/pro Texans crowd would have felt good about all this was if he faced those charges and did time. But there's still hope for those folks in the form of a career ending injury. I'm in the second group below...

There's still hope for the not-so-anti Watson/pro Texans crowd in that if Caserio is awesome at the draft, it won't matter if those 1st round picks are at the top of the draft or the bottom. He'll hit it big with those picks. In that case, the Texans will be better off without Watson in the long run.

The last group of fans are those that are mad at the Texans and hope Watson wins a super bowl with Cleveland. That group sucks.

I said it several days ago…. dont count out anyone you haven’t been wasting your time on…lolololol. All that bullshit before had nothing to do withthe TRUTH. And if you don’t like it then the Texans were NEVER offered what you bullshitted about, lololol.

Atlanta Falcons. The #8 and 2 other 1sts and 2 2nds and Kyle Pitts. That’s proper compensation. Caserio fucked this up. He should have NEVER allowed the Browns to meet Deshaun with that **** as trade compensation. The Texans controlled who could contact and negotiate with Deshaun. FAILURE ON ALL LEVELS
you were NEVER going to get close to that......you don't live in the real world.

It’s idiotic that anyone thinks Caserio could have gotten more. Watson held all the cards because of that no trade clause. ATL had balked at the price tag and suddenly teams were drying up. CLE made their move and Watson agreed.
Caserio still got the best haul of any team involved as only MIA offered as much early on.
Negative ghost rider. Yesterday Atlanta had made the best offer to DW4. Today the Browns upped their offer to $230MM Guaranteed. Atlanta balked and failed to step up and meet the offer. If the Falcons had, DW4 would be a Falcon. None of this had anything to do with the Texans. To believe the Texans could not get anything more is naivete. Remember who you are dealing with, the File Clerk and Game Boy.

I think we got screwed, not sure if Caserio had the power to nix the trade though. I have to believe that if he could have he would have, and steered the deal back to ATL. I don't know why, when he was accepting the proposals from the different teams, he wasn't considering that the 1st round picks in '23 and '24 would be much lower in the round as the team would be expected to be in the playoffs at the very least, after aquiring Watson, and want compensation for that before he accepted. At least get a few players in the mix.
I don't like the NTC, I think the NFL should put some restrictions on how it is used going forward.
As I said in the other thread, perhaps allow the player to eliminate 50% of the teams, then the GM has the other 50% of the teams to strike his best deal with.
All we can hope for is that Watson is suspended for 12+ games and the Browns have a horrible season without Watson or Baker, allowing us to have a higher pick in the 1st.if

Negative ghost rider. Yesterday Atlanta had made the best offer to DW4. Today the Browns upped their offer to $230MM Guaranteed. Atlanta balked and failed to step up and meet the offer. If the Falcons had, DW4 would be a Falcon. None of this had anything to do with the Texans. To believe the Texans could not get anything more is naivete. Remember who you are dealing with, the File Clerk and Game Boy.
And a NTC

You have ZERO idea about what he was offered.

And IDGAF what he was offered. That has nothing to do with anything I was grading him on.

As I said, I'm totally fine with what we got in return. The Browns' 1st round picks for the next 3 years along with our own? I'm happy. I think we can do a lot with that. Everything else is gravy. As others have said, his hands could well have been tied simply by Watson's last minute shenanigans.

But my grade wasn't based on what we got or how happy I personally was with it. My grade was based on my understanding of what his minimum amount to come to the table was going to be. If he had met what I understood him to say was the minimum he'd accept, then he'd have gotten a C. He didn't get that so he got a D.

And none of that is on Caserio.
He can’t force a guy with a NTC to go where he wants him and ATL didn’t do what your suggesting. You live in an alternate reality and then complain about it.

You are whining to whine.

The Texans were handcuffed with this situation. Caserio was handcuffed.

can you go back & find what Nick’s original asking price was?

he got exactly what he said he was looking for.

I know there was speculation with four teams in the mix there would be a bidding war, but that just wasn’t the case.

now, my only hope is that he can trade both picks every year get two players in the 20s & two future 1sts.

I know there was speculation with four teams in the mix there would be a bidding war, but that just wasn’t the case.

now, my only hope is that he can trade both picks every year get two players in the 20s & two future 1sts.
Yes, the original asking price was 3 1’s a 3rd and a 4th.
MIA offered that but Watson said no.
Caserio had to find a team who would renegotiate his contract to Watsons liking and give Caserio what he wanted in a trade.
ATL would not do either and offered players as compensation for picks and in the end balked at the 230 fully guaranteed.

We created this illusion of getting Pitts, Terrell, and 4 1’s 3 2’s and 2 3’s and it was simply ludicrous.

I just did a quick search and on HoustonPress it said:
The minimum Caserio is seeking is a package consisting of three first round picks, more draft capital, and possibly a player or two.

So, my understanding of what he was asking for was a little off. I thought he was asking for more than this.

He got what close to the minimum of what he was asking for. So now, I'd grade him at a C.

Garrett cap hit in 2023: 28 mil
Watson cap hit in 2023: 46 mil
Cooper cap hit in 2023: 20 mil

That right there is 96 mil between those 3..with Ward due big money after this year.

I get that the cap is rumored to be going up significantly next year but They are gonna have 1, maybe 2 years to make a SB run before the cap kills them.

Using the trade value chart, the #1 pick in the draft is worth 3000 pts. DW4 is a top 3 franchise QB in NFL is worth much more than that.

Today's trade

#13 = 1150
2023 1st RD equivalent of mid 2nd RD today = 380
2024 1st RD equivalent of mid 3rd RD today = 170
2023 3rd RD equivalent of mid 4th RD today = 47
2024 4th RD equivalent of mid 6th RD today = 10

-2024 5th RD equivalent of mid 7th RD today = <1>

Total = 1756 or equivalent to the #5 pick in this year's draft is what the Browns paid the Texans for DW4. If the Browns had included Myles Garrett (3000) this would have been a fair and equal trade. Why without Garrett, #44, #78, #99, #107 this year were important to balancing this trade. Plus it would've given Texans a number of good picks to rebuild the team starting this year. Instead Texans walk away with one extra pick in the 2022 draft.

Last edited:
Garrett cap hit in 2023: 28 mil
Watson cap hit in 2023: 46 mil
Cooper cap hit in 2023: 20 mil

That right there is 96 mil between those 3..with Ward due big money after this year.

I get that the cap is rumored to be going up significantly next year but They are gonna have 1, maybe 2 years to make a SB run before the cap kills them.

Consider he will STILL get suspended! Nobody does this much brand humiliation and not get suspended for personal conduct policy. Dude took NFL property to do his molesting for goodness sakes................. and the women..... NFL fans are "women" too

First game he underperforms and not looks like 250 dollar man....(this guys gets sack alot and holds the ball too long)..... Cleveland will feel the pain

Russel Wilson was worth 250 mil.......... Watson no........... Cleveland did not do the right thing here. Denver will sniff lombardis before the brows do.

I think the initial reaction is “oh man we got fleeced!”. But:

There were several people- just 10 days ago, including myself- who thought that Deshaun was going to possibly be indicted on at least 1 felony charge, end up on the exempt list, and we’d get nothing.

We have 2 1st rd picks over the next 3 years. We have 2 premium picks in this years draft and likely next years draft. As the smoke has cleared, I don’t feel like either team got “fleeced”. The Browns organization is going to deal with a lot of backlash from this- and rightfully so.

Deshaun and his “team” behaved like a clown show throughout this entire process. Who knows if that dude gets his life together and stays on track. Im glad this chapter is over with.

It’s going to take a good 3/4 years to truly grade this trade. It all depends on what Caserio is able to do with the draft capital he’s acquired. For now- I’ll give it an even B.

Using the trade value chart, the #1 pick in the draft is worth 3000 pts. DW4 is a top 3 franchise QB in NFL is worth much more than that.

Today's trade

#13 = 1150
2023 1st RD equivalent of mid 2nd RD today = 380
2024 1st RD equivalent of mid 3rd RD today = 170
2023 3rd RD equivalent of mid 4th RD today = 47
2024 4th RD equivalent of mid 6th RD today = 10

-2024 5th RD equivalent of mid 7th RD today = <1>

Total = 1756 or equivalent to the #5 pick in this year's draft is what the Browns paid the Texans for DW4. If the Browns had included Myles Garrett (3000) this would have been a fair and equal trade. Why without Garrett #44, #78, #99, #107 were important to balancing this trade. Plus it would've given Texans a number of good picks to rebuild the team. Instead Texans walk away with one extra pick in the 2022 draft.

You are missing the point of the draft value chart.

I don't care how much talent Cleveland has. They are still the Browns, just as cursed as Houston football. Maybe even more cursed.
Cleveland and Houston have one thing in common, both have never been to the Super Bowl. The Browns were established in 1944, the Texans in 2002. They share that distinction with the Jags and the Lions.

My initial reaction is YEEHAW. I’m so happy he’s gone and we were compensated 3 1sts, a 3rd and a 4th for a douche bag. At one point I thought (as many others did) that we may get nothing back. I’m elated. The draft evaluation value chart doesn’t take into consideration douche baggery. Good job Nick. Go Texans.

Last edited:
Back