Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

Just to add, the Washington team got Saints entire draft and half of the next year draft and they didn't win anything. The Rams got a haul for the RG3 trade and in less than 3 years, .500 fisher was fired. Only time will tell on both sides. Maybe both teams win,maybe both lose, or maybe its a draw
On a side note, has there ever been a player traded for more than 3 1’s? I honestly don’t know.

Watson's gone and off the books.

We got 2 picks in the 1st round for the next three drafts.

Screw everything else, that's good enough for me. Now we can quit worrying about Watson and his bullshit and go back to just worrying about the Texans.
OK that's probably the most practical attitude to have now, and it's been a long hard haul finally putting this chapter behind us.

The other trade offers were merely speculation. Sure the other teams could have offered all the sunshine, lollipops and rainbows in the sky that Cleveland apparently didn’t… or they could have offered a similar package to get a visit.

The NTC effectively made the diva a restricted free agent with right of first refusal.

His visits were contract negotiations. The trade price was set but him and his agent were playing the other teams against eachother for the best new contract. We know there are a few more teams that have added the diva to the list of most hated NFL player (Falcons at the top for alienating their QB and coming out with nothing).

I’m just glad the Texans got three firsts for the diva. Now its time to rebuild this team.
He may have been asking for more money from all suitors - care of Mulagetta - and that may have "browned" them off...😆

I doubt there is an organization in the NFL whereby one single person is calling the shots without significant input. NC has that positional profile which Lovie loves, no doubt constructed to fit his schemes, so I dont see issues here. I think trading up or down however will be NC’s bag.

There is significant input from others. But somebody has to make the final call.

Screw everything else, that's good enough for me. Now we can quit worrying about Watson and his bullshit and go back to just worrying about the Texans.
I agree 100%. It's like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Now we can get back to dealing with the Texans & their normal stupid sh*t.

we’re still the biggest dumpster fire. And what we gave up for him is nearly the same as what we got for him. The difference is he was an unknown quantity with what most considered a high bust rate when we got him. Now he is pretty much a proven veteran and consensus top five QB by most of the NFL front offices and is still very young. There’s a huge difference in who he was then vs now.
Yes. There is a huge difference. But you have to account for all of the differences. He is a known (or at a minimum perceived) pervert and predator. That has to be at least taken into account. There is a huge unknown and liability in the amount of Browns fans that will have negative push back. It could be a pr nightmare, many fans will feel insulted, the suspension is looming and he could screw up again and make it worse. Not to mention that he the held the Texans hostage on a world stage for over a year. Let’s not pretend the diamond is flawless. All of the other teams know of his inclusions.

Hmmmm....Reading all of these comments from the piss and vinegar brigade, it looks like the Browns are a shoe in for the playoffs every year. I guess they forget that the Browns have only been to the playoffs twice in their existence. I think they also forget that the Browns have to play the Steelers, Ravens, and Bengals twice every year. They probably also forgot that WD40 will probably be suspended at some point.

Some people will never be happy. It must be a miserable existence.

Sure, I'm a little disappointed the Texans didn't get more from the trade, but I'm happy with what they did get, and even happier to be rid of the oily one.
The Browns have been to the playoffs 17 times.

The Ravens were the expansion team. Browns franchise and record stayed in Cleveland

Technically, kinda.

But there were no Cleveland Browns from 1996-1998 because all the Browns' players, front office, and everything else moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens in 1996.

The Browns that started back up in 1999 were a completely new team with another team's history.

Technically, kinda.

But there were no Cleveland Browns from 1996-1998 because all the Browns' players, front office, and everything else moved to Baltimore and became the Ravens in 1996.

The Browns that started back up in 1999 were a completely new team with another team's history.
Understood. But the other 'team's history' they started w/ was the Cleveland Browns history. Hard to say that the Cleveland Browns have only been to the playoffs twice when those of us old enough to remember watched Bernie Kosar in the playoffs more than that himself.

Hershal Walker Trade

Vikings 1990 1st round
Vikings 1990 2nd round
Vikings 1990 6th round
Vikings 1991 1st round
Vikings 1991 2nd round
Vikings 1992 1st round
Vikings 1992 2nd round
Vikings 1992 3rd round

Eric Dickerson Trade involving 3 teams (Rams, Colts, Bills)
What the Rams received for Dickerson

Bills 1988 1st round
Colts 1988 1st round
Colts 1988 2nd round
Bills 1989 1st round
Colls 1989 2nd round
Bills 1989 2nd round

Jim Plunkett Trade

49ers 1976 1st round
49ers 1976 1st round
49ers 1977 1st round
49ers 1977 2nd round

The Ravens were the expansion team. Browns franchise and record stayed in Cleveland
Wrong. The Browns, players, coaches, management all went to Baltimore. The current Browns had an expansion draft and all that jazz. They are the expansion team. Cleveland keeps the records and whatever, but the franchise that Jim Brown and Bernie Kosar played for is in Baltimore.

Wrong. The Browns, players, coaches, management all went to Baltimore. The current Browns had an expansion draft and all that jazz. They are the expansion team. Cleveland keeps the records and whatever, but the franchise that Jim Brown and Bernie Kosar played for is in Baltimore.
legal actions by the city of Cleveland and Browns season ticket holders led the NFL to broker a compromise that saw the Browns franchise, history, records, and intellectual property remain in Cleveland. Since it was deemed infeasible for the Browns to play the 1996 season in Cleveland under such circumstances, the franchise was officially deactivated by the NFL in February 1996 and Modell was allowed to transfer its football organization to the Ravens: thus, the Ravens are officially regarded by the NFL as an expansion team that began play in 1996.

legal actions by the city of Cleveland and Browns season ticket holders led the NFL to broker a compromise that saw the Browns franchise, history, records, and intellectual property remain in Cleveland. Since it was deemed infeasible for the Browns to play the 1996 season in Cleveland under such circumstances, the franchise was officially deactivated by the NFL in February 1996 and Modell was allowed to transfer its football organization to the Ravens: thus, the Ravens are officially regarded by the NFL as an expansion team that began play in 1996.

It doesn't matter what they came up with to placate the fan base. The current Cleveland Browns had an expansion draft for a NEW franchise. The players, coaches and management that were on the Browns in '95, were Ravens in '96. The current Cleveland Browns are the expansion franchise that Jim Brown never played for.

If Houston had been allowed to keep the Oilers history, Earl Campbell still would have never played for the franchise that wears the bull on their helmets.

The trade — just the third in the common draft era to feature three first-round picks in exchange for a veteran player — comes a week after a Harris County grand jury decided Watson will not face criminal charges, though the civil suits are ongoing and Watson still faces the possibility of an NFL suspension.
Let's look at this a little closer.

These comparisons are all interesting and seem somewhat equal until you find the fact that in the 1989 Walker trade, there were 12 rounds in the Draft.............in the 1976 Plunkett trade, there were 17 rounds. With present day Drafts having only 7 rounds, it makes the Watson trade immensely more valuable.

But they weren't. And Cleveland was allowed to keep their Cleveland history.
It's not the same damn franchise. Holy shit!
Vinny Testaverde was QB of the Browns in '95.
Vinny Testaverde was QB of the Ravens in '96.
He didn't get traded. He was a member of the franchise that moved from Cleveland to Baltimore and became the Ravens.

It's not the same damn franchise. Holy shit!
Vinny Testaverde was QB of the Browns in '95.
Vinny Testaverde was QB of the Ravens in '96.
He didn't get traded. He was a member of the franchise that moved from Cleveland to Baltimore and became the Ravens.
Holy **** all you want. It doesn't change how the Cleveland Browns history is looked at.

Notice a distinction between which of these played before they moved to Baltimore and which played after? I don't either. You can't find a distinction on any of Cleveland Browns history before and after Baltimore because there is no distinction.

Hershal Walker Trade

Vikings 1990 1st round
Vikings 1990 2nd round
Vikings 1990 6th round
Vikings 1991 1st round
Vikings 1991 2nd round
Vikings 1992 1st round
Vikings 1992 2nd round
Vikings 1992 3rd round

Eric Dickerson Trade involving 3 teams (Rams, Colts, Bills)
What the Rams received for Dickerson

Bills 1988 1st round
Colts 1988 1st round
Colts 1988 2nd round
Bills 1989 1st round
Colls 1989 2nd round
Bills 1989 2nd round

Jim Plunkett Trade

49ers 1976 1st round
49ers 1976 1st round
49ers 1977 1st round
49ers 1977 2nd round
Thanks for this research. However you cut it, the Watson trade was historical.

Holy **** all you want. It doesn't change how the Cleveland Browns history is looked at.

Notice a distinction between which of these played before they moved to Baltimore and which played after? I don't either. You can't find a distinction on any of Cleveland Browns history before and after Baltimore because there is no distinction.
You can rewrite history all you want. Doesn't change anything.

There was an expansion draft in 1999. Who took part in that draft? I'll give you a clue, it wasn't the fucking Ravens.

These comparisons are all interesting and seem somewhat equal until you find the fact that in the 1989 Walker trade, there were 12 rounds in the Draft.............in the 1976 Plunkett trade, there were 17 rounds. With present day Drafts having only 7 rounds, it makes the Watson trade immensely more valuable.
Eric Dickerson was also traded for three 1st round picks in 1987................there were 12 rounds in that Draft.

You can rewrite history all you want. Doesn't change anything.
Google 'cleveland browns history'. Every search result has the beginning of the franchise as 1944. And who is rewriting history? I'm done talking about this.

Google 'cleveland browns history'. Every search result has the beginning of the franchise as 1944. And who is rewriting history? I'm done talking about this.
Good. Because I've had better conversations with a bag of hammers.

Still didn't answer the question though. Who had the expansion draft in 1999? Try Googling that.

Hmmmm are you sure? wouldnt the same number of players be drafted from those three example years in the first seven rounds? 1976 and 1989 would continue drafting after seven rounds vs those players just being UDFA’s in 2022 assuming the same #of teams For argument. The Watson picks would still be 3# 1’s in those three sample years. Maybe you are seeing something I’m not.

Me too. He's in the same light for me as all the other former Texans players. I really don't care about any of them, unless and until they're playing against the Texans. Unlike many (most?) Texans fans I only watch the Texans. That's the reason I rarely post in the general NFL section.

Whoever is making the final calls should get the credit/blame.
Holy Moly I just watch the entire File Clerk post DW4 presser. It is beyond me how anyone can speak for 30 minutes and not make one bit of sense. It was absolutely senseless, a word salad of nonstop rhetoric in epic proportions. One thing he did say that was understandable is that Ownership assigned him the responsibility of handling the DW4 trade and seeing it through....so now we understand.....why this continual pattern of......FUBAR.......is never ending. Only occasionally being interrupted by..........SNAFU.

BTW I am waiting for the show to drop when we learn that the Cleveland Browns offered Baker Mayfield as part of the trade over and above what was already on the table, and The File Clerk said he wasn't interested just go ahead and keep him.

Last edited:
Back