Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

What Grade Did Caserio Get on Watson Trade?

Texian would have negotiated a better deal. This was amateur hour GM work
Hey Jimmy, Hey Andrew, Congratulations on coming to terms with DeShaun and that record setting offer.

Listen, I think we can finish this up in matter of minutes here. As you know Nick Caserio's original ask was only a minimum that got your foot in door and allowed you to speak with Deshaun. Now that we are here in the 9th inning, all that is left to do is hammer out our agreed compensation.

I'm not going to ask for another record setting deal. The bar has been set and the market has been set with the Russell Wilson trade to the Broncos. I think we all can agree on that. That's were I want to go and where we should start. I think we can do this in 5 minutes. OK, you got pens and pads ready? This is what I need to make this thing happen and will close the deal:

2022 your 1st RD pick #13 and your 2nd RD pick #44. In 2023, your 1st and 2nd RD picks. Because DeShaun is 7 years younger than Russell and will play in 200 games for you, 100 more than Russell will play for the Broncos we have to have your 2024 1st RD pick. That covers the draft picks.

Now on to the players that will wrap this all up:

Baker Mayfield. You took away our nightmare and headache and we can do the same for you.

Our Head Coach Lovie Smith is partial to one of two on your defense, LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoraj or SS Grant Delpit. And finally the guy that can put this all to bed, backup DT Tommy Togai. If you don't like this we can start over with Myles Garrett instead of Baker Mayfield?

This puts us on par with the Wilson trade here. I'm not going to try and one up you and do one better than the Wilson trade. If you want some time to think it over I understand. I just want you to know our asking price is not going down, it will only go up. Tomorrow a 2025 1st RD will be added to the deal. If you don't agree to our asking price then we will not trade DeShaun Watson to you and when I hang up my next call will be to Athur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons. I'm sure Arthur would love a chance to get back in this thing. Arthur may have a change of mind just like you did.

What's that, your fine with the proposal. We can have Delpit. OK then we can draw up the paperwork and send it in to the NFL? OK then you guys got yourself one hell of a franchise QB. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Hey Jimmy, Hey Andrew, Congratulations on coming to terms with DeShaun and that record setting offer.

Listen, I think we can finish this up in matter of minutes here. As you know Nick Caserio's original ask was only a minimum that got your foot in door and allowed you to speak with Deshaun. Now that we are here in the 9th inning, all that is left to do is hammer out our agreed compensation.

I'm not going to ask for another record setting deal. The bar has been set and the market has been set with the Russell Wilson trade to the Broncos. I think we all can agree on that. That's were I want to go and where we should start. I think we can do this in 5 minutes. OK, you got pens and pads ready? This is what I need to make this thing happen and will close the deal:

2022 your 1st RD pick #13 and your 2nd RD pick #44. In 2023, your 1st and 2nd picks. Because DeShaun is 7 years younger than Russell and will play in 200 games for you, 100 more than Russell will play for the Broncos we have to have your 2024 1st RD pick. That covers the draft picks.

Baker Mayfield. You took away our nightmare and headache and we can do the same for you.

Our Head Coach Lovie Smith is partial to one of two on your defense, LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoraj or SS Grant Delpit. And finally the guy can put this all to bed, backup DT Tommy Togai.

This puts us on par with the Wilson trade here. I'm not going to try and one up you and do one better than the Wilson trade. If you want some time to think it over I understand. I just want you to know our asking price is not going down, it will only go up. Tomorrow a 2025 1st RD will be added to the deal. If you don't agree to our asking price then we will not trade DeShaun Watson to you and when I hang up my next call will be to Athur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons. I'm sure Arthur would love a chance to get back in this thing.

What's that, your fine with the proposal. We can have Delpit. OK then we can draw up the paperwork and send it in to the NFL? OK then you guys got yourself one hell of a franchise QB. Congratulations!

And Derrick says I'm not going to Atlanta.

2022 your 1st RD pick #13 and your 2nd RD pick #44. In 2023, your 1st and 2nd picks. Because DeShaun is 7 years younger than Russell and will play in 200 games for you, 100 more than Russell will play for the Broncos we have to have your 2024 1st RD pick. That covers the draft picks.

Our Head Coach Lovie Smith is partial to one of two on your defense, LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoraj or SS Grant Delpit. And finally the guy that can put this all to bed, backup DT Tommy Togai. If you don't like this we can start over with Myles Garrett instead of Baker Mayfield?

This puts us on par with the Wilson trade here. I'm not going to try and one up you and do one better than the Wilson trade. If you want some time to think it over I understand. I just want you to know our asking price is not going down, it will only go up. Tomorrow a 2025 1st RD will be added to the deal. If you don't agree to our asking price then we will not trade DeShaun Watson to you and when I hang up my next call will be to Athur Blank and the Atlanta Falcons. I'm sure Arthur would love a chance to get back in this thing.

Well thanks for your time but we got Mayfield. BTW NC stated in his presser that he set the table with the three first rounders. He also said other aspects like xtra players and other picks was speculation. dead deal for you.

Last edited:
Hershal Walker Trade

Vikings 1990 1st round
Vikings 1990 2nd round
Vikings 1990 6th round
Vikings 1991 1st round
Vikings 1991 2nd round
Vikings 1992 1st round
Vikings 1992 2nd round
Vikings 1992 3rd round

Eric Dickerson Trade involving 3 teams (Rams, Colts, Bills)
What the Rams received for Dickerson

Bills 1988 1st round
Colts 1988 1st round
Colts 1988 2nd round
Bills 1989 1st round
Colls 1989 2nd round
Bills 1989 2nd round

Jim Plunkett Trade

49ers 1976 1st round
49ers 1976 1st round
49ers 1977 1st round
49ers 1977 2nd round

Different era. Jimmy Johnson cut all the players received from the Vikings and got picks instead because of a loophole in the trade that said player that don't make the Cowboys are exchanged for picks from the Vikings. That's why the Cowboys had so many picks. Obviously, that is no longer allowed.

Since we have an official "Koolaid Brigade" where everyone sees positivity, I feel in the interests of equal representation, we should have a brigade where every member sees nothing but negativity. So, I'm proposing that the new brigade should be called the "Butthurt Brigade". Can I get a second on that? lol

We could call them Watson for short!

Since we have an official "Koolaid Brigade" where everyone sees positivity, I feel in the interests of equal representation, we should have a brigade where every member sees nothing but negativity. So, I'm proposing that the new brigade should be called the "Butthurt Brigade". Can I get a second on that? lol

I refer to them as the Chicken Little Peckers. Sky is always falling.

Different era. Jimmy Johnson cut all the players received from the Vikings and got picks instead because of a loophole in the trade that said player that don't make the Cowboys are exchanged for picks from the Vikings. That's why the Cowboys had so many picks. Obviously, that is no longer allowed.
These were the draft choices receieved along with the players traded. They had nothing to do with cuts.

The Cowboys traded running back Herschel Walker along with three draft choices (a third and 10th-round choice in 1990 and a third-round choice in 1991) to the Vikings. In return, the Cowboys received linebackers Jesse Solomon and David Howard, cornerback Issiac Holt, and defensive end Alex Stewart. In addition to the players, the Cowboys received Minnesota’s first, second, and sixth-round pick in 1990; first and second-round pick in 1991; and first, second and third-round draft pick in 1992. Dallas also received running back Darrin Nelson from Minnesota who they promptly traded to the San Diego Chargers for a fifth-round choice in 1990. This pick was then sent to Minnesota. In all, the trade involved 18 players (actual players plus draft picks).

I gave this some serious consideration .... Dear Lord .... I think I'm Bi ! :embarrass Not that there's anything wrong with that !!

Hmmmm are you sure? wouldnt the same number of players be drafted from those three example years in the first seven rounds? 1976 and 1989 would continue drafting after seven rounds vs those players just being UDFA’s in 2022 assuming the same #of teams For argument. The Watson picks would still be 3# 1’s in those three sample years. Maybe you are seeing something I’m not.
Back then, the talent and numbers were greatly diluted from top to bottom. But most importantly, the first round picks were not researched by the time Drafts rolled around like they are today. Today, these athletes have been intensely followed, evaluated and dissected (with all of this analytical and technical information shared via media) ever since high school. Yesteryear, you knew what their height and weight were. Today, you know details down to what type of underwear they wear. Yesteryear choices were much more driven blindly by impressions, and much more of a crap shoot that it is today.

Last edited:
Caserio was never willing to play hardball with Deshaun and that hurt his leverage. All Caserio had to do was threaten to keep Deshaun and force him to play if he didn't like the trade return. But the Texans wanted to move on from Deshaun just as much as Deshaun wanted to leave. The grade will depend on what the Texans will do with the picks, but I don't have faith in Caserio or the Texans front office to get the rebuild right.
I hear you but it's very likely that it was Caserio's employer and not he who made the decision and told Casserio yes take it so that once and for all we can be done with the SOB !

So what if Watson said "Fine. Don't trade me. I'll collect my money and go through therapy for this hamstring I just pulled. Ouch it hurts. Yeah I'm not going to Atlanta. Cleveland or nothing."? Do you really think Cal was going to let Watson stay on the team? Who know what Nick did after Watson made his decision. Maybe Watson and Cleveland talked and Cleveland knew Watson wasn't going anywhere but there. That cut a ton of Nick's leverage. He was fighting Watson, Cleveland, and Cal. I wanted more. Almost all of us wanted more, I think Nick got the best he could get under the circumstances. Texian is over there playing "should, coulda, woulda." Caserio was playing poker while holding a hand with just an Ace high.

So what if Watson said "Fine. Don't trade me. I'll collect my money and go through therapy for this hamstring I just pulled. Ouch it hurts. Yeah I'm not going to Atlanta. Cleveland or nothing."? Do you really think Cal was going to let Watson stay on the team? Who know what Nick did after Watson made his decision. Maybe Watson and Cleveland talked and Cleveland knew Watson wasn't going anywhere but there. That cut a ton of Nick's leverage. He was fighting Watson, Cleveland, and Cal. I wanted more. Almost all of us wanted more, I think Nick got the best he could get under the circumstances. Texian is over there playing "should, coulda, woulda." Caserio was playing poker while holding a hand with just an Ace high.
Jimmy Haslam paid DeShaun Watson an eye popping record setting amount of guaranteed money. $80 million more than any other player in the league. Haslam was not going to be denied because of couple 2nd rd picks and 3 players who were not critical to their future success. Caserio was playing checkers when everyone else was playing chess. Caserio does not know how to play poker.

Yes. There is a huge difference. But you have to account for all of the differences. He is a known (or at a minimum perceived) pervert and predator. That has to be at least taken into account. There is a huge unknown and liability in the amount of Browns fans that will have negative push back. It could be a pr nightmare, many fans will feel insulted, the suspension is looming and he could screw up again and make it worse. Not to mention that he the held the Texans hostage on a world stage for over a year. Let’s not pretend the diamond is flawless. All of the other teams know of his inclusions.
And yet they were lining up and
The NTC is not technically waiver until the deal is completed and approved by the NFL. So even now Watson could back out and say I’m not waving my NTC. Watson never waved his NTC to talk to the teams and by NFL rules he didn’t have to till an actual trade was made.

People on here saying Caserio should have told Watson give me a list of teams you are waving your NTC for don’t understand how it works. Watson could have said “These are the teams I wave my NTC for.” but it would have been meaningless as the only thing that could enforce it is the value of Watson’s word which we all know is worthless.

Despite what some say Caserio played hard ball the only way he could and still make a trade. When Watson said what teams he wanted to play for Caserio told the teams but said he would not let them at the table unless they agreed to his minimal of three 1sts and whatever else. After that he had to go with whatever team Watson wanted no matter if there was a better offer or not. The only other choice was nix all trades and keep Watson on the roster, pay him his money and watch him fake an injury for the next 4 years and still get paid under NFL rules.

Can anyone really say that was the better choice?
bullshit. He was contractually obligated to play. No way would of been able to play hurt for four years and no way he would’ve wanted to do that. Casserole had him bent over a barrel with the ability to refuse to trade him and suspend him and fine him. He needs money now to get these lawsuits paid off and behind him and I guarantee he wants back on the field NOW.
All casserole had to say was I’ll sit on your contract for the next four years of you don’t play fare.

I don’t care if it took another year his ass wouldn’t be going anywhere until he agreed to those terms. That was the way it should’ve been handled.

Jimmy Haslam paid DeShaun Watson an eye popping record setting amount of guaranteed money. $80 million more than any other player in the league. Haslam was not going to be denied because of couple 2nd rd picks and 3 players who were not critical to their future success. Caserio was playing checkers when everyone else was playing chess. Caserio does not know how to play poker.
PFT rated the Watson trade an A.
So, do we believe a respected national sporting media entity who has no bias regarding the trade, or some whiner who definitely has one?
Let me think about it a bit ...

Yes. There is a huge difference. But you have to account for all of the differences. He is a known (or at a minimum perceived) pervert and predator. That has to be at least taken into account. There is a huge unknown and liability in the amount of Browns fans that will have negative push back. It could be a pr nightmare, many fans will feel insulted, the suspension is looming and he could screw up again and make it worse. Not to mention that he the held the Texans hostage on a world stage for over a year. Let’s not pretend the diamond is flawless. All of the other teams know of his inclusions.
Yet teams were lining up and practically begging him to come play for them. Even at risk of alienating their starting QBs.

Back then, the talent and numbers were greatly diluted from top to bottom. But most importantly, the first round picks were not researched by the time Drafts rolled around like they are today. Today, these athletes have been intensely followed, evaluated and dissected (with all of this analytical and technical information shared via media) ever since high school. Yesteryear, you knew what there height and weight were. Today, you know details down to what type of underwear they wear. Yesteryear choices were much more driven blindly by impressions, and much more of a crap shoot that it is today.p
I was reading an article earlier that looked at the last decade of round one drafts by positions to see what positions afforded the greatest value by the players drafted over that period. Linebacker was the best position at returning value. The Cowboys were number 1 having drafted the highest value first round picks during that decade. Number two…The Texans. None won a SB over that decade. Number 20 Patriots won that SB win title. But the article still called the first round a crap shoot based on their statistics.

I think anyone with a football IQ of 50 knew that somehow, someway Nick Caserio was going to find a way to totally screw this up and he did. There will be more.

Depends on your expectations.

Wilson was a model Citizen, Derrick was not and is probably looking at a suspension, that played into why Caserio didn't get as much for Derrick as Schnieder did for Wilson. Three 1sts and a 3rd, plus a 4th/5th pick swap is a very fair price for a Sexual Predator and sets this team up very well for the future. Particularly if Mills is the guy.

I realize you dont like Caserio, but this team will be well setup for the future in a couple of yrs.

Wilson was a model Citizen, Derrick was not and is probably looking at a suspension, that played into why Caserio didn't get as much for Derrick as Schnieder did for Wilson. Three 1sts and a 3rd, plus a 4th/5th pick swap is a very fair price for a Sexual Predator and sets this team up very well for the future.
Nah…. That doesn’t account for the difference between the deals. I don’t think so anyway. Should have got a third this year & forget about the 2024 pick swap.

For me. I think it should have been sweetened a little more. I don’t think it was the collosal failure some are trying to make it

Wilson was a model Citizen, Derrick was not and is probably looking at a suspension, that played into why Caserio didn't get as much for Derrick as Schnieder did for Wilson. Three 1sts and a 3rd, plus a 4th/5th pick swap is a very fair price for a Sexual Predator and sets this team up very well for the future. Particularly if Mills is the guy.

I realize you dont like Caserio, but this team will be well setup for the future in a couple of yrs.
Just stop it. You're embarrassing yourself. Jimmy Haslam paid DeShaun Watson an eye popping record setting amount of $80 million more than any other player in the league. That's what they thought of your Sexual Predator.

Yeah, we are screwed. I hate those effing first round choices that have the potential to propagate. Cant even get rid of them for three years unless we trade down and extend them god forbid. That’s a file clerk for you. A certain drama scripted to show how simple the deal should have gone down looked like a Hardy Boys script, lololol.

bullshit. He was contractually obligated to play. No way would of been able to play hurt for four years and no way he would’ve wanted to do that. Casserole had him bent over a barrel with the ability to refuse to trade him and suspend him and fine him. He needs money now to get these lawsuits paid off and behind him and I guarantee he wants back on the field NOW.
All casserole had to say was I’ll sit on your contract for the next four years of you don’t play fare.

I don’t care if it took another year his ass wouldn’t be going anywhere until he agreed to those terms. That was the way it should’ve been handled.

Unfortunately Calhoun has to be on board with this.
Nah…. That doesn’t account for the difference between the deals. I don’t think so anyway. Should have got a third this year & forget about the 2024 pick swap.

For me. I think it should have been sweetened a little more. I don’t think it was the collosal failure some are trying to make it

I forgot to add another difference Wilson is the better player and has the jewelry to prove it.

Derrick had already said he wanted to go to Atlanta and was almost there. If you don't believe me ask Kyle Pitts.
BS, we now know he was going to go where the guaranteed money was. That was the be all end all. Obviously CLE was the ONLY org willing to do that hence the eleventh hour deal with them. You, I, no one saw that coming. Again, whose to say Cal didn’t get involved and say just get it done? You have no clue about what occurred behind closed doors, its ok to admit that

Again, who can tell me Cal didn’t say make it happen?? I want him gone. We continually **** on Cal but all of a sudden this is all NC? I’m not making excuses for NC but why do we think this trade was done in a silo???

Yeah we maybe coulda got an additional second, but who knows what was going on behind those closed doors. Perhaps Browns GM was vacillating a bit and Caserio didn't want to lose it or let it drag on.
I ain't gonna go to the extreme some are going to over an extra second - especially when at one point it looked like we might get nothing at all!
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush - or 3 firsts and more in this case.
Now, I hope the ink hurries up and dries.

Last edited:
I'd give him a C-. He went in getting a C by dictating what he was after and he got less than what he was initially hoping for. I think he let Watson and that contract the Browns waived in front of him get too far in front of what he should have been to make a better deal.

Houston is multiple pieces away from competing and with only one asset in 2022, I don't like this deal. The future picks, other than possibly the 2023 contingent upon Watson's suspension are less appealing because of who we traded him to (Carolina, Atlanta future picks would be more valuable even with Watson because the teams aren't really ready to compete as much as Cleveland). Given that Watson picked the best team after him, we ideally should have gotten more assets given the lesser value of the future picks. He got his 3 1sts, hence the C, but the minus with the late round picks and no players or additional 2022 assets.

I'd give him a C-. He went in getting a C by dictating what he was after and he got less than what he was initially hoping for. I think he let Watson and that contract the Browns waived in front of him get too far in front of what he should have been to make a better deal.

Houston is multiple pieces away from competing and with only one asset in 2022, I don't like this deal. The future picks, other than possibly the 2023 contingent upon Watson's suspension are less appealing because of who we traded him to (Carolina, Atlanta future picks would be more valuable even with Watson because the teams aren't really ready to compete as much as Cleveland). Given that Watson picked the best team after him, we ideally should have gotten more assets given the lesser value of the future picks. He got his 3 1sts, hence the C, but the minus with the late round picks and no players or additional 2022 assets.
We gained a fair bit of cap space too don't forget and next year, we will have a whole lot more.
Browns will have buyers remorse - I feel for them as they had just started to climb back out of the doldrums.

We're finally going to start to see a proper rebuild. That would not have happened with Watson sitting out another year consuming a huge amount of cap space.

I'm actually engaged now. I did a couple of mock draft sims last night. I started looking into draft prospects. That would not have happened if the Texans/Watson saga had continued. My fandom tank would have been on empty if we had to go through another year of this crap with Watson. He's a greedy diva that deserves nothing less than the highest level of scorn. I'm 100% on Caserio's side on this one.

Here's what I suspect happened that would have had an impact on the value of the trade.
I think the owners of teams that were actively looking to trade for Watson consulted with Godell to get an idea the possible or probable length of any suspension.
I think ownership has a pretty good idea of what to expect regarding a suspension but obviously can't comment on it.

I also think some/most owners will encourage Godell to hammer Watson as hard as he can within the collective bargaining agreement.
With the obvious exception of the Browns, of course.
I'm sure there are many owners who aren't happy about the way this all went down.

We're finally going to start to see a proper rebuild. That would not have happened with Watson sitting out another year consuming a huge amount of cap space.

I'm actually engaged now. I did a couple of mock draft sims last night. I started looking into draft prospects. That would not have happened if the Texans/Watson saga had continued. My fandom tank would have been on empty if we had to go through another year of this crap with Watson. He's a greedy diva that deserves nothing less than the highest level of scorn. I'm 100% on Caserio's side on this one.
Is that right, good stuff. Welcome back to the other side. I’m optimistic and I can’t wait to see how Nick the Quick attacks the draft now that he actually have 2 first rounders and a second rounder.

Back